Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My theory as to what's going on:

This is Ammit's power putting Marc on trial, trying to sort out if he deserves to die or not, and by extension also Harrow on trial for the killing. Tawaret's scales were flipping out just like Harrow's tattoo did in the first episode. Harrow killed Marc, but he's devoted to a goddess of justice however warped. So Ammit wants to know: was killing Marc/Steve/whoever else in fact just? Or has Harrow defied her? I think that's why Dr. Harrow keeps trying to assert that the psychiatric ward is real, because he knows that this whole thing isn't so much a near death (or actual death) experience, but an inquisition by a goddess of justice.

Given the ending, I suspect that Ammit has decided that no, killing Marc was not just, and that can only mean things are about to get even messier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tsob posted:

One of them will probably make it into the MCU at some point, but which one?

We already got one, Ikaris.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally got around to watching Falcon And The Winter Soldier.

My conclusion: I don't know if I've ever seen a show so terrified of the amazing well of dramatic potential it found.

Dealing with the void left by Steve Rogers, one of the MCU's bigger fuckups (and boy is that saying something), after he hosed off in time without trying to settle things with the people he supposedly cared about, reckoning with the US government's history of racism and discrimination, revealing a new Captain America eaten alive by doubt, and more homoerotic tension than a Republican National Convention.

Which is why the show runs screaming from all this at almost every turn in favor of a tepid "oh no, super soldier proliferation!" plot that goes nowhere interesting and features no compelling characters to speak of. And also Zemo is here for... some reason.

This show finds a few amazingly good ideas, Isaiah Bradley being a standout, and it just doesn't do anything with them. It's the gayest thing I've seen on television in recent memory that so resolutely denies that there's anything gay about it.

Honestly, I think this show needed Joe Bernthal's Punisher, and maybe Mike Colter's Luke Cage. Everything this show tried to say about the US government, American foreign policy, and American society's relationship with its military, Punisher S1 said better. Everything this show tried to say about race and the US, Luke Cage said better (except the character of Isaiah Bradley, who acts more in two minutes than the protagonists do in the entire show put together).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After chewing on it a little, I think this was my favorite bit in all of Moon Knight:

"Are you an Egyptian superhero?"

"Yes, I am."

You go, little girl.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RandomReader posted:

It's not hard to parse, it's just stupid. Caring about the race, nationality, or gender of the superhero who just saved you is pretty shallow, and I don't appreciate the show itself going out of it's way for the audience to see how awesome and great they are for having a female egyptain superhero. It's different from when Captain America and Spider-man had that little connection over growing up in New York, where it was just a funny coincidence of life, this is clearly a Big Moment.

For a lot of people who aren't heterosexual white men from North America or Europe, seeing someone with power who is doing great things who looks and sounds like you is a big loving deal. It passes on the message and hope that you could be someone like that. Now that little girl knows she could be a hero, because there's a badass Egyptian superhero lady running around. That little girl may never have cared about Captain America, or Iron Man, or Thor, because they have nothing in common with her. Now she sees someone just like her fighting to save the world.

That's a message headlining, just like it was one of the few good things about Falcon and the Winter soldier. Black people can be heroes. Women can be heroes. People from outside the US can be heroes. Gay people... TBD.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rarity posted:

The show's main director was Egyptian and he explicitly demanded to tell a story that supported Egyptian culture

Yeah, he did an interview about how part of his agreement with Disney was that they'd let him do some legit, and accurate, representation of Egyptian culture. Every time the gods and avatars talk in that non-English language? They're legit speaking Coptic, the language of classical Egypt.

The guy legit wanted to do an Egyptian story that's sensitive and supportive of Egyptian culture, and more power to him.

Call it exploitative if you want. Almost nothing these days isn't exploitative, especially in the media. So I say it's worth celebrating wins however small when they happen. If you decide they don't matter because someone's making money off of it, you'll have precious little to celebrate, ever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's obviously some push by Marvel to get it rolling again because Firaxis has the X-Com guy making a Slay-the-Spire-type tactical card game battler using the branding, and now they've mentioned it in regards to this show. Which is good! I want to see Creepy Superhero Teamups, nothing wrong with that!

They've also appeared in the tabletop tactics game Marvel launched a year or two ago, with a roster at present of Blade, Black Cat, Doctor Strange, Doctor Voodoo, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Wong, and Moon Knight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1. Moon Knight
2. Ummm...
3. This space intentionally left blank
4. WandaVision
5. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
6. Loki

Been slowly catching up, haven't seen Hawkeye or What If yet.

For me, though, there's a huge gap between Moon Knight and the other shows I've seen. I barely watched any of the sitcoms Wanda is mocking, and the main plot felt rather contrived and dull. Falcon and the Winter Soldier is interesting whenever Isaiah Bradley is on screen and deathly boring the rest of the time. And Loki is funny whenever it remembers that the actor and character are good at comedy and falls flat on its face the rest of the time (so, most of the running time).

Moon Knight, I actively enjoyed the whole way through.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thrawn527 posted:

I took it to be that Osiris opened the doors/gates, deciding that Marc and Steven had earned passage back to the world of the living, and that's what she was talking about.

This is my understanding as well. By his actions in the show, this Osiris seems to be kind of a dick, at least to Khonshu, but when the chips are down he's on the right side. Note that he also told Layla how to free Khonshu and save Marc, and then how to re-bind Ammit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting bit of trivia I've been reading from interviews with the cast: Scarlet Scarab was planned to be the avatar of Isis, and her suit was designed with that in mind. They changed her patron to Tawaret fairly late, after the costume was already made, when everyone involved decided that they liked Tawaret and wanted to keep her around, while also needing to avoid introduce yet another character so late in the show. Layla's actress joked that Tawaret might have a cool new idea for her costume if the character returns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Isaacs noted in an interview that he based the accent and vocabulary on the actual British staff and extras helping make the show as they were filming, for whatever that's worth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Trip report: Saw episode one, enjoyed it, and immediately got into an argument with a goon on discord who thinks Kamala's dad is abusive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's also reports, though I haven't yet seen any from a credible source, that Marvel hired Coulter to reprise Luke Cage in Thunderbolts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Everyone posted:

So, Winter Soldier, U.S. Agent, Yelena Widow and Luke Power Man. Seems like a punchy, ground-level team so far. I could imagine Wanda for Flying Skybeam person but she dead (apparently).

The other reported people for it are Ghost and Zemo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, I think my money is on the bracelet having terrigene stuff in it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit is not post.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I like how the show is respectful of Islam, but also points out it has lovely aspects to it as well. Also it shows the diversity of it, you see a good variety of backgrounds, not everyone is Pakistani, but you see African muslims and some that are probably Persian/Iranian? I think Nakia's talk about being too white for some people but too ethnic for others may have set some people off because i certainly heard people saying they completely ruined her character. I figure she's just saying that one of her parents is ethnically muslim and the other is white, and she takes more after that white parent, but she identifies with her islamic culture more.

Nakia talking about how her father basically started freezing her out after she hit puberty rang so very true for me, even though I'm not Muslim. She's grown up and isn't daddy's little girl anymore, and daddy doesn't know how to handle it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From a quick google, Wonder Man looks like 'hot mess bisexual Superman.' Sure, I'm on board.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Soonmot posted:

like what is even supposed to be being argued here? Are folks upset that Damage Control aren't good guys? I'm honestly confused.

This is what's confused me as well.

Ms. Marvel is a show about an immigrant Muslim family from the Middle East, and people are surprised and upset that the cops are antagonistic towards the main characters?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pwnstar posted:

The point I originally brought up was that the cop stuff is way more Real poo poo than the zany low stakes dramas that the show is currently dealing with.

She's a member of ethnic and religious minorities that get profiled and hassled by the cops, a lot.

It might be more Real poo poo, but it's Real poo poo that Muslim and immigrant teenagers have to deal with in real life with disturbing frequency.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ms. Marvel has explicitly referenced Eternals, so I doubt it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Do we even know that viewership numbers are lower than usual for this, or just the review bombs from chuds?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Necrothatcher posted:

It's kinda funny that chuds are dismissing Ms. Marvel as woke as in a tonne of ways it's a very conservative show about sincere religious belief, respecting your parents, close family ties, and the importance of tradition.

Funny how Muslims used to be an extremely reliable Republican voting bloc right up until 9/11. I wonder what happened.

Nakia feels pretty believable to me, as someone who's politically liberal but grew up in an extremely conservative religion and culture and isn't [yet] willing to break with that religion and culture. Yes she goes zero to sixty a lot, but that feels accurate to me, if her experiences are like mine were she's perpetually boiling inside as she struggles with contradictory beliefs and values and it never takes much for that to lash out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CapnAndy posted:

It's been by choice, though -- there were plans for Dr. Strange to show up at the end of Wandavision and it got nixed because they decided it was Wanda's story and pulling focus from her like "oh the real superhero showed up now" would have been a disservice, not because they couldn't get Cumberbatch or didn't want to pay him for it.

Likewise there were plans for Christian Bale to show up at the end of Moon Knight to address the question of "So where was Ra during all of this, shouldn't the leader of the Egyptian gods have done something?" before they similarly decided that it was best to keep the show relatively small-scale instead of ending with an advertisement for Thor 4.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maybe it's a relic of the Ghostbusters-y 1980s, but I definitely prefer Damage Control as a civilian agency that actually serves a conceivably valuable purpose in fixing super damage instead of a convenient proxy that helps Disney avoid pointing the finger at Homeland Security/the FBI/the CIA

Punisher is still there if that's what you want.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh no, a TV show has good-looking people in it as part of a time-traveling interdimensional love story. The horror.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kazil posted:

It's a point worth debate in a show where the protagonist has body image issues, no?

No indeed. It's a show about high schoolers, everyone has body image issues. I'm just thankful they haven't sexualized Kamala at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

XboxPants posted:

as well as the people talking about how Kamala's powers needed to be changed from the comics so that they could be more comfortable with her appearance

They were changed because stretchy powers in live action are really loving hard and expensive to get looking okay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I hope the MCU just doesn't do Magneto, at least not for a long time. We had enough of him, Xavier, Wolverine, Jean Grey, and Mystique in the Fox films.

I hope Marvel uses the rest of their stable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Everyone posted:

I think Ms. Marvel is technically the first "Title Character" Muslim superhero. For all we know Vision is a Muslim (kidding, but technically we've never seen him eat pork or drink alcohol onscreen), but Ms. Marvel is the first time we've specifically had the main, title-of-the-movie/show character be a Muslim.

I checked, and nothing is said about Layla's religious beliefs - if any - during Moon Knight. Marc/Steve is at least by background Jewish (and it would be perfectly in keeping with Jewish traditions for his religious feelings to be telling Khonshu that he's a god but he's not God), but we don't know anything about Layla in that regard. She's Egyptian so there's a high probability that she's at least culturally Muslim, but anything else is purely speculation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

howe_sam posted:

The Punisher stuff in Daredevil is pretty good, but also completely irrelevant to the standalone series. Like, iirc in Daredevil Frank learns who ordered the hit on his family, and then Punisher retcons that.

The Punisher show kind of retcons it in the sense that it reveals that the guy in Daredevil was working for someone else.

Punisher S1 is really good and has nothing to do with the broader stereotype of the character that people are probably familiar with. Just watch Daredevil S2 first to get a handle on the character - Punisher then is more of a modern-day Western barely related to the other Netflix shows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

swickles posted:

Glenn Close, Cate Blanchett, Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins, Matt Damon (in multiple very minor cameos), Angela Bassett, Michael Douglas, Angelina Jolie, and more capital A actors have all done multiple MCU movies.

Blanchett was a funny example because she straight up told an interviewer about Ragnarok that she treated the whole thing as a well-paying break from her 'real' work. She got paid a lot of money to ham it the gently caress up with no real effort or acting skill required.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rarity posted:

Amazed that anyone could say no to more Elodie Yung

She was a very talented actress doing the best she could with a very poorly written character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My feeling about She-Hulk so far is that this is not a show I've enjoyed watching or found interesting, but am glad exists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sitcoms and legal dramas just aren't my cup of tea, alas. I enjoy the show ripping incel types to shreds and there's been a few funny gags, but the meat of the show just isn't for me.

All the same, I'm glad the show exists.

Stay mad, incels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Most US Catholics are pro-choice and pro-gay marriage and pro-conception. The guilt is real, and the church itself is hosed up, but American Catholics aren't really doing promise rings and poo poo, and are more politically split in general the Evangelicals.

Also, it's Matt. Odds are excellent that boinking Jen set in motion a chain of events that will ruin his life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

Not going to lie but Ellie Kemper would be the perfect Hellcat

MCU already has Hellcat if you count the Netflix series, she was played by Rachel Taylor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As has been pointed out elsewhere, this Kang that Scott's dealing with might not be the biggest danger. Scott might well stop this Kang.

HWR was very explicit that the problem isn't that there was one bad Kang - there were many.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thebardyspoon posted:

He got killed by someone who made Thanos panic a bit during the big finale fight in Endgame who then also killed someone with Captain Marvels powers as well, not sure why that makes him a bumbling doofus. Pretty much the entirety of that film is people jobbing to Wanda.

Also the entire point of that scene in MoM is that the Illuminati are overconfident blowhards who have gravely underestimated the threat at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Everyone posted:

I'm pretty sure the situation with Loki being segregated in the TVA is fairly temporary. Figure a good bit of the fun with the character will be eventually watching Tom Hiddleston as Loki bounce off a bunch of other characters once he gets back into the wider MCU. Meanwhile, given the post-credit scene from Love and Thunder, I guess if they wanted to they could bring back Natalie Portman, Idris Elba and others in some kind of Valhalla series.

Natalie Portman explicitly wanted out of the MCU. According to Wahiti, Portman only agreed to come back for L&T when he promised that the film would kill off Jane.