Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Very interesting chart, but fatalities is kind of a crude metric. Wearing a helmet can spare you from brain damage and the ensuing disabilities.

Really though, I don’t understand why helmet wearers get so bent out of shape over it. Not wearing a helmet is a big self-own. If you wanna risk your health like that, have at it

I know a couple of people who are only alive because of wearing a helmet biking. I think it's bad when people die completely preventable deaths or get preventable brain damage :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

WaryWarren posted:

Yes, I haven't noticed any yard signs when I've been back to Illinois to visit family. My neighborhood in MN is littered with them and people still drive 40+ down side streets with cars parked on one or both sides of the street. :hmmyes:

Minneapolis/St. Paul/A lot of the first tier burbs also set city wide speed limits to 20 MPH except when marked higher elsewhere so everything but major roads is 20 MPH. No one follows that, but it's something I guess.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Kicked Throat posted:

but i like parking on hennepin when i go to the restaurants.
oh do you live around here?
28th and fremont.
i have to just glare at him.

lol has this guy ever actually tried to park on Hennepin? Total poo poo show. I used to live in an apartment on 26th and Emerson with a parking lot in the ALLEY, was much nicer to walk than trying to find parking around there.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

actionjackson posted:

the area being referred to (uptown), is one of the few parts of the city where you could very reasonably live without a car though. just about every kind of business is right on hennepin or within a few blocks, and hennepin going north goes through downtown and then NE (which is the main "art" area). the city council meeting is actually happening right now, and whether or not to approve the 24/7 bus lanes on hennepin is on the agenda. likely to pass, but hopefully with a veto proof majority.

When I lived in uptown and had a WFH job I sometimes went weeks without driving, it was great.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

actionjackson posted:

the area being referred to (uptown), is one of the few parts of the city where you could very reasonably live without a car though. just about every kind of business is right on hennepin or within a few blocks, and hennepin going north goes through downtown and then NE (which is the main "art" area). the city council meeting is actually happening right now, and whether or not to approve the 24/7 bus lanes on hennepin is on the agenda. likely to pass, but hopefully with a veto proof majority.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1537507217867513856

passed, not veto proof though.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Boywhiz88 posted:

I moved to a suburb (Blaine) in 2010 and got a bike. My first ride, which was on a sidewalk, someone drove by and yelled gently caress You out of their pickup. The sidewalk was parallel to the street, so there was no interference.

When I was back in that area after ~6 years, I saw they put stop signs in the sidewalks, obligating pedestrians to stop for cars. Awful.

Assuming you mean Blaine, MN, I'm not surprised. Absolute poo poo hole suburb. I wouldn't bike on the streets (or apparently even next to them) in the twin cities burbs besides maybe some first ring ones.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Kicked Throat posted:

a major avenue started construction to go from 4 lanes to 3 with a center turn lane(express game of chicken lane)

i was walking by and asked a construction worker if he thought it'd work

'hell no! dumbest idea i ever heard. remind me to never take lyndale again'

sounds like it's working already :)

That's one way to take care of Wedge left turners blocking traffic.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Living in Chicago I never understand cities that DON'T have thier airports connected to their transit systems. It's just the most natural obviousl place to extend the train to. This includes DC, NYC, DFW etc. major metor area's that have either had mass transit for years, or are finally building it out, and they still can't seem to connect their airports. It's bizarre.

Even the very limited light rail in Minneapolis will take you from the airport to downtown, or even to St. Paul.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The suburb where I grew up in MN just voted to reject a rapid bus line from entering the city because dangerous minorities from the big city might use it to come to the suburbs.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

actionjackson posted:

which suburb?

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m guessing White Bear Lake. I did my best to Google after he said that cause I was like “who was up for BRT?” So I could be wrong!

But that definitely sounds about right.

https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2022/05/how-a-dog-whistle-campaign-against-the-purple-line-forced-white-bear-lake-transit-into-a-corner/

Awful, that route looks super effective!

Edit: I was gonna call it lily-white but 90%!?! Jeeeeesus. You have to work for those kinds of numbers.

that's the one! White Boy Lake as it's also known.

Growing up my dad used to take the bus to downtown St. Paul for work. It picked him up a block from our house, he didn't have to deal with traffic/parking and his work subsided his bus pass. He loved it. Since then they've severely reduced the bus routes, now he'd have to drive to a park and ride at the maplewood mall to get downtown with a bus. Luckily he's retired now.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People attack fast food specifically as unhealthy, exploitative, etc because it's poor people food and it's easy to rally around classism and contempt for the poor. It's like discussing how horrible and destructive Walmart is, when big box retail in general destroys traditional patterns of commerce and relies on unsustainable global supply chains that weren't possible until fifty or so years ago.

I don't shop at Walmart, I'm a Target shopper :smug:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Epic High Five posted:

Just get a trailer jfc

Those are for poor trashy people. I live in a shipping container :smug:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

actionjackson posted:

can't believe this intersection has the most bicycle crashes in minneapolis

lol I've biked home drunk through that intersection so many times. RIP the hexagon and punk bowling mondays at the lanes.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ardennes posted:

Also commuter rail in the US is usually almost unusable unless you specifically need to go to a CBD during rush hour, have a car to take to the station, and are willing to pay $6-10 dollars a ticket.

The US really doesn’t have anything like a RER or S-Bahn.

I lived in Munich one summer and I walked to the subway that I took to the S-Bahn that took me to the bus that took me to work. It was great and I never once wished I had a car. I slept on the S-Bahn both ways everyday both ways and somehow never missed my stop.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

500excf type r posted:

Holy poo poo I never understood bad public transportation until I spent this last weekend in Chicago.

I thought new England was tough some times but holy poo poo lol

Chicago's public transport is among the best in the country lol

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Sanlav posted:

Yesterday my train stopped in the bronx, about 2 miles before 125th. We sat for 40 mins while the police ran through the train to catch a 'trespasser' who fled paying a fare. He exited the train on the tracks and they couldn't find him.

They gave up started the train and said we were on our way after 40 mins.

2 mins later the train stops again. Now we've struck someone. 40 mins, paramedics, more transit cops.

Hooray they've captured the fare evader, an hour and ten mins and 1 maiming in, MTA cops score another victory for justice.

lol how much money did they waste chasing someone who skipped a $2.75 fare

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
There's no way I'd last a week on nextdoor, I prefer not knowing exactly how lovely and racist my neighbors are anyway.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Requiring a cop to help people cross the street safety is going to create jobs and increase the police state, it's a win win.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

distortion park posted:

as a visitor i liked it. the town center is pleasant to walk around and the transport is excellent. Munich was the city I've been most surprised by recently, so many cyclists, cargo bikes and pedestrians, in a fairly large area around the city centre. It's obviously reached the tipping point where at least a few people feel confident enough to take their kids in a bike bucket, London is still way off that. Munich also has a very good (although expensive to use as a visitor) suburban and underground rail network. Worth reading the wikipedia page and taking a look at the expansion plans and construction costs if you want to get depressed

Lived in Munich for a summer and loved it. Never once had a use for a car, I could walk/bike/train wherever I needed to go.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

In Copenhagen at least, we have dedicated personnel who have it as their job to check tickets in trains and buses. These people obviously have a lovely job, and it's not their fault, but it just feels so incredibly wasteful to have people running around doing something af unproductive as that. Kinda like the guys giving parking tickets, but without the benefit of loving with car owners.

Also there's untold millions wasted on the it system for fares. Just money out the window.

But we need a way to keep undesirables off the trains.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

They're already in their cars though?

no you see we need to keep the poors off the train so that the good moneyed people will take the train instead of driving (they will never do this)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

That's the part about sending a bill for repairs. Also I'd totally ride a tram with battle scars :krad:

the tram is to be feared and respected

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Gas goes bad. I had to change my refueling from a full tank to a half tank just so I don't have to deal with old gas.

put some stabilizer in it and it'll be fine for a couple of years.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

My co-workers are unable to understand that I will in fact not be picking my kids up when they become teenagers, on account of them having bikes and also me not having a cult membership card. The idea that teenagers can in fact figure out how to get home to a very bike and bus friendly place, even when drunk, does not make sense to them.

They even suggest that I must get a cargo bike to pick them up, which is just stupid. If you're old enough to be out, you're one enough to get home (and/or find somewhere else to stay).

Sounds like they need to call CPS for your upcoming gross negligence

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been to Costco in multiple states. I've had a membership but also if you're on the road and on a severe budget, the Costco snack bar is a cheap source of food. All Costco parking lots are nightmares. No matter where you are. They're all insane. Even in Canada. It's an endless mystery to me.

Haven't tried it during holiday season yet, but business costco is way less crazy than a regular one.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

Our friends the bollards have a new partner: the bus ditch. Basically you need to be bus width or two wheels to pass. It went up shortly before Christmas and has claimed 20 cars already.

Article in Danish, heavy pro car perspective: https://www.tv2nord.dk/aalborg/henriettes-bil-blev-totalskadet-i-bussluse-det-er-helt-ude-af-proportioner

:sickos:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A Bethel Park man is being charged for allegedly driving to the Bethel Park police station while intoxicated to confront officers about a previous interaction.

Brian Studt, 26, showed up at the police station around 11 p.m. Sunday and yelled at officers about being stopped illegally the day before due to a burnt out headlight, according to the complaint.

Police say Studt had an odor of alcoholic beverage emanating from him and and was screaming while they attempted to talk to him. He told officers his headlight was not burnt out and that he wanted to fight them, according to the complaint.

Studt was placed in handcuffs and his legs were shackled. He kicked one officer and attempted to kick another, according to the complaint, and allegedly threatened to beat an officer over the head with a pipe. He refused a blood alcohol test, police said. He was placed in a holding cell.

Officers found a large pipe in Studt’s vehicle, which was parked outside the police station, and saw that his headlight was burned out, according to the complaint.

He is facing charges of aggravated assault, harassment, terroristic threats, disorderly conduct, DUI, public drunkenness and general lighting requirements.

Hmm I don't agree with his car driving policy, but I do approve of his fighting cops policy.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
https://twitter.com/ErikSolheim/status/1632546284883116036

meanwhile China has a train that builds railroads as it runs.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

lil poopendorfer posted:

What about this post

cops aren't people so it's ok

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

starting to think car races loving suck

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Maybe it was a bad idea to make many of the main ways people socialize involve drinking alcohol while making driving a car the only way to get from place to place. Unless one of these things changes, drunk driving isn't going away.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Polo-Rican posted:

there's no sight sadder than a guy eating a sandwich in his car

yeah that guy should be going into a crowded applebees to catch covid with everyone else!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Polo-Rican posted:

i can actually feel the bread crumbs and lettuce smears on the smartphone glass in this reply

I'll have you know I eat microwave bullshit from costco or leftovers for my sad car lunches. It'll be nice enough outside soon so I can eat in the park instead :unsmith:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

NeatHeteroDude posted:

the safety of subways etc. vary widely but in my/my wife's experience like 7/10 rides are fine and the remaining ones are either a little stressful or unsafe. the big thing is that you don't know when the ride will be safe or stressful, it feels like you have to be alert all the time. for us all it really took was one bad trip to make every subsequent trip very stressful, and i was pretty happy when we could finally afford cars to drive

I used to sleep on the train on my way to/from work everyday it ruled. Granted I was a white dude living in Munich so other people/locals may be a very different experience.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Frankly the best thing we could do for public transit in this city would be to build a bunch of good public shelters so the public transit infrastructure doesn't have to serve both functions.

absolutely, public transit being dangerous is a symptom of much bigger issues. One of the local news stations here in Minneapolis did a scare story about how dangerous it is to ride the light rail, they showed some people using drugs in order to drum up support to fill the trains and stations with cops.

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/wcco-cameras-capture-rampant-drug-use-on-metro-transit-light-rail-trains/

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The actual biggest problem with the light rail in Minneapolis is it only goes from the mall of America to downtown and from downtown to St. Paul. Unless you need to travel between those points it's not very useful.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I went for a bike ride for the first time this year, I rode over to a lake and then around the lake then back home and it was very nice. :feelsgood:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

One might hope that the lack of funding for public infrastructure, even roads, and the huge cars might cause the road system to deteriorate so far that it no longer supports cars.

But somehow I think USA will either find the money or somehow make a private solution that is even worse.

the solution will be bigger trucks that can handle the deteriorated roads

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

webcams for christ posted:

I had devolved to wearing exclusively athleisure in like 2018, but my current shop steward wants me run to take over this spring, so I've been trying to dress like someone who sits down with management for negotiations on behalf of colleagues with 30 years of seniority over me. and then the tricky part is making sure it's also suitable for bike commutes.

I wish I had access to Costco

Tracksuit. Great for exercise and implying you have mob ties during negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

lobster shirt posted:

theres a lot to hate about houston in general but i do like that all of our sports stadiums are centrally located and accessible by public transit. you can ride the light rail or the bus to go see any of our teams, it's very easy. hell the light rail can drop you off directly at the soccer and football parks.

Same in Minneapolis/St. Paul. The light rail doesn't go very many places, but at least you can take it to sporting events/the airport. I used to go to Twins games and have a couple of beers at a bar after the game so the light rail wouldn't be as busy, was nice.