Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Can anyone sum up the important parts of the last 190 pages? Thread moves so fast and I'm not about to read that poo poo in eye-searing green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lacrosse posted:

Kids don't get covid

Whoops turns out they do!

Yeah, but like, new studies, zesty new variants and stuff. It can't have been all Falcon dude.

There was apparently a Danish study that showed triple hospitalisation risk for unvaccinated with Delta, but the article was paywalled and I got distracted dunking on antivaxxers instead. lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sunny Side Up posted:

Children are significantly more prone to Long Covid than adults

Wait, what did I miss? Study claiming the exact opposite just made the rounds in Danish media a few days ago. :lmao:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sunny Side Up posted:

UK data over the last like forever

Iirc first conclusions were 10-12% of infected kids (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic) get long covid but most recent estimate I saw ballparked it at 8%

Yeah, but doesn't that mean less prone to long COVID than adults, not more?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Can't wait for our health authority to sleep on boosters for months like they do with every piece of new information.

McCracAttack posted:

I know several people that already had their "gently caress this" moment when they were told to mask up again. "If I still have to wear a mask then what was the point of me getting vaccinated?""

Are they my septuagenarian dad with COPD and cardiovascular disease whom I gave a bunch of very comfortable FFP2 masks? aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, and might I add, fFgKEfFOKgmj;

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 17, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oh, look at meee, I'm an Americannn and see a whole 5-10% masking at the stooore during a respiratory pandemiiic! La-dee-dah!

I don't see anyone wearing a mask anymore unless I pass by a reflective surface. :lmao:

silicone thrills posted:

Tink enjoys the fact that I never leave the house anymore

That's a good cat.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Google translated, gonna leave it as-is.

quote:

School closed down by corona - only one student was met in 2nd grade

Professor predicts streak of local outbreaks, but at the same time does not believe in large repatriations.

Happy children's voices usually fill the premises at Hem School near Skive. But less than two weeks after school starts, the premises are again almost on holiday. On Tuesday, only three out of 51 students in the schooling showed up for classes. And that is due to the corona, says school principal Helle Kappel Nielsen.

- It went really well the first week after school started. We thought we were going back to normal.

Since August 9, one infected student has turned into ten, and that has sent even more students home because they are close contacts. In addition, some parents have also chosen to keep siblings at home from school.

- We must continue to believe that we get through the corona and that it gets a shape we can be in, it sounds from the headmaster, who expects to be back to normal on Monday next week.

In the large, empty classroom, Mille Esager Melgaard was today the only student from 2nd grade who could practice reading with Danish teacher Mette Nordendahl.

- It's nice that we have more time, but it's actually a little strange, says Mille.

Her teacher points out that one is trying to get the best out of the situation. Therefore, the three students and their teachers today had made lasagna for lunch.

- When we have a different day, we also have to do some different things, Mette Nordendahl explains and adds:

- We are really looking forward to the other students coming again. This is really nice, but it will be nice to get the others back.

The repatriations at Hem School are far from unique in the region. In Holstebro, the large school Rolf Krake is currently also affected by a corona outbreak. Here it has gone beyond 8.C, where 7 are reported infected, while 15 have now been sent home as close contacts.

- We had probably hoped that we could solve more so that the students could be more together across the year groups. But with the start we have got, it will be difficult. This confirms that we have to keep them in class for a little while longer, says school principal Ole Priess.

The Danish Health and Medicines Authority's director Søren Brostrøm warned even before school started that the autumn would offer an increase in infection.

- Now that the Danes are returning from summer vacation and coming back to work and school, and the last restrictions are being phased out, there will be more infection in our society, it sounded from the director in an interview with Berlingske .

The same interpretation is repeated by Lars Østergaard, professor at the Department of Clinical Medicine and chief physician of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Aarhus University Hospital. He points out that eruptions like those in Holstebro and near Skive will fill the whole country.

- It would be wishful thinking to think that we can return to something reminiscent of before the corona, he assesses.

HOW COULD THIS BE???????

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 17, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anything interesting happen since page 68? Thread moves way too fast to keep up with and nobody's updating the spreadsheet anymore.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pillowpants posted:

That is on your for having a life beyond the COVID Cspam thread.

Guess I'll just die. :shrug:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

we're never gonna know how many people actually died of covid worldwide but it's gotta be well over 10 million already based on the discrepancies that are easily observable with even the most cursory glance

Thereabouts.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/05/06/new-analysis-finds-global-covid-death-toll-is-double-official-estimates/

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Please clop.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Danish government's intervening in the nurse strike and forcing them to accept the lovely offer they'd rejected. I'm sure that'll do wonders for the nurse shortage. Last time they did it with teachers and something like 10% immediately quit. Thank you, Social Democrats!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL India's official per capita case rate is now lower than Australia's, I'm sure that's totally legit

Didn't like 2/3 of the population have antibodies or something? Only cost a few million lives, too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Got to lose control and then you take control
Then you're rolled down on your back and you like it like that
Like it like that, like it like that, like it like that
Then you curse Tony Fauci, yeah, curse Tony Fauci
Lungs are filled with holes, Johnny's laying there and he squirms, coughing
RN looks down at him and says, "Oh, chuddy boy
Can't you show me nothing but surrender?"
Johnny gets up, takes off his MAGA t-shirt
Taped to his chest there's the answer
You got Plaquenil and UV and
Horse paste preferred, horse paste preferred
Then he cries, then he screams, saying
Life is full of pain, cracks pinging through my brain
And I fill my mouth per os and go Hidalgo, Hidalgo
Hidalgo, Johnny go, and curse Tony Fauci, oh curse Tony Fauci

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phigs posted:

Is anyone's brain increasingly doing this thing where the desire to see an end to human suffering is fighting with the desire to see humanity just burn to the loving ground already? Like your empathy for people is making you hate them?

Just asking.

Crack-pinging is realising they're the same thing.

Lady Militant posted:

im going to be so pissed if advanced civilization collapes and iv got to take a slow rear end boat 2 weeks across the atlantic to hunt for legos in the ruins of denmark

Do not come. Do not come.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

We're scaling back the already insufficient testing massively, ending the last remaining restrictions, and downgrading COVID from a critical illness. Nurses have just been forced out of strike by the government. I'm just waiting for them to declare masks illegal again. It's going to be illegal to protect yourself from a respiratory pandemic. :lmao:

Also now I can't get Zack de la Rocha screaming ROPE WOOORRRMS to the tune of Wake Up out of my head. Thanks, thread. Threanks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Just watched the latest Campbell video. I guess that's it? Let everyone get it and hope the vaccines hold up against future variants? I mean, that's clearly what we're doing here as well. Testing sites are closing, the automatic lockdown system has been scrapped and coronapass will no longer be required.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

genericnick posted:

Lol Denmark.

Because a majority in parliament insisted on letting people get jabbed with J&J and AZ after they were removed from the vaccination program due to associated risks, a private company received $2.69m to vaccinate just 60 people in one week in August, or $44,833 per dose administered. I don't know who these people are who'd prefer those when there was ample supply of mRNA at that point, but :lmao: at everything.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So the EMA said boosters are not necessary unless you're at-risk and there's no way to Max Titers the system here.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rauros posted:

who cares about the flu. it barely existed last year...

oh, no. no more NPIs...influenza/covid co-infections should be fun!

They're strongly advising 2-6-year-olds get a flu vaccine here this year, season is likely to be brutal due to practically zero immunity.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Covid is as bad here as it’s ever been and masking is maybe 50% lmao

Here it's 0%. :denmark:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

so I mean if the vaccines aren't really preventing infection after 2-4 months, are they just hoping we all get sick in that time frame enough that natural immunity (huge quotey fingers here) kicks in and prevents it from being anything other tha moderate infection in the majority population and the idea is that we can all go back to normal afterward? because that sounds insane but that's the general vibe I'm kind of getting.

They are going to let it cull all it can and give the rest brain damage and poo poo through constant reinfection. Whatever personal measures one takes is just delaying the inevitable. It's monstrous.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Once again I'm not sure what's going on here. We had 438 PCR positives today, positivity rate of 0,83%. I'd expect a higher rate if it was just due to undertesting. 72% are fully vaxxed, but literally no-one wears a mask anymore, everything is open including schools and all NPI have been scrapped. Is it just down to the vast majority getting vaxxed between May and July preventing infections? Calm before the storm? Hospitalisations have doubled in the past month, but infections remained stable for weeks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

genericnick posted:

Israel had a few good months. Maybe it's that? Italy also has stagnated at an elevated rate(though still about 30% lower than Denmark) for some time. Honestly, Danish numbers are pretty bad compared with other European non-tourist countries so I don't think there's all that much fiddling.

Well yeah, but I'd expect the unmasking, schools opening and NPI getting scrapped to be reflected in infection numbers when we're dealing with Delta. It starts spiking as Delta grows dominant, but since then everything has been rolled back and opened up.

Edit: I mean, according to the data, schools are seeing fewer outbreaks than before Delta, but that might be down to contact tracing protocols being altered.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 4, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

The restrictions mandating a corona passport stopped for a number of different things starting September 1st, things like: indoor dining, fitness, large +500 events etc. I suspect a lot of people only got tested because of the passport requirement.

Testing has since dipped slightly from its already abysmal level, but wouldn't that be reflected in a higher positivity rate also? Given how infectious Delta is and all. Or it could be a combination of that and vaccines not having waned massively yet.

I'm trying to gauge if I should chance the dentist again, they're badgering me about a six-month checkup. Probably better now rather than later. Are they still required to wear PPE?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Called ambulance for chest tightness, palpitations and dizziness. ECG was fine, blood pressure and pulse elevated, but not emergency levels. Ambulance left. Two days later, dizziness and left arm buzzing, called ambulance again, same thing, blood sugar also fine, but opted for the ER this time. Got blood works, neurologic test (smile, touch nose, heel to knee, etc.), a COVID test, and wore a monitor for about six hours, nothing of note and also negative for COVID, although some dude in the room was running a fever and on oxygen and got wheeled off to the infectious disease ward, so that might change in the coming days, although I did my best to keep the mask on the whole time. If he was positive he'll definitely kill the unmasked fat lady in her 70s who had fallen down an escalator at the airport. Most of the staff didn't wear PPE or did so inconsistently.

Also weed suddenly fucks me up in a bad way now and I still don't know what's wrong. What a fun week. Just wonderful.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

nexous posted:

been through all of this and “it’s just anxiety”

I thought I knew what that felt like after having dealt with it for more than two decades, but I guess not. They admitted me after I mentioned familial heart issues, but I'm apparently a picture of health as far as that's concerned.

Digestion also triggers it somehow, so that's awesome.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks for the kind words. This is a whole new level of terrifying for me and seemingly came out of nowhere, I've been doomscrolling and toking for years without a hitch, so what the gently caress.

Koirhor posted:

this was me last year, it was unchecked anxiety culminating in panic attacks. I was sitting on my PC just browsing whatever and it was like I got hit by this wave of dizziness and couldn’t stand hands going numb etc, Wife drove me to the ER, not saying that’s you but stress/anxiety and the full knowledge of everything going on can really gently caress you up. same for me so many tests ran nothing wrong, elevated BP would be expected during a panic attack. anyways upped my exercise and added lexapro been alot better.

Been told to monitor it morning and evening, my BP and pulse is elevated even when I just woke up and not feeling the symptoms, but as the EMT pointed out that's a normal side-effect of Effexor.

Gonna start taking more walks and have cut coffee completely for a while. So far it hasn't paid off.

nexous posted:

yeah that’s mine too. triggers a lot right after eating. eating certain things causes shooting pains in my left pec and arm I guess those nerves are connected or something. between that and the constant numbness in my face and neck from cervical fusion I’m convinced I’m having a stroke or heart attack like 90% of any given day

cognitive behavioral therapy helps a ton just gotta be mindful whenever it kicks in that it’s happened before, it will happen again, everything’s ok

Jesus, I'm sorry, that sounds really awful. I already had a lot of tools to deal with anxiety, but they're no longer useful apparently, if that's what it is.

Weed used to help me keep a baseline of "alright", too. I'm gonna hate to give that up.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 13, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think you got "too high"

My tolerance was pretty solid and I've been smoking the same stuff nearly every day for months, but I actually wasn't high at the time at all, I hadn't smoked those two days or the day in between. I've tried smoking a little since, like just a few puffs hoping it'd take the edge off, and it invariably turns into A Bad Time. I've tried "too high" in the past and it usually just made me fall asleep, not worry that I wouldn't wake up. Dunno if stress or whatever it is can nullify tolerance somehow. I just wanna go back to chilling. :(

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah sorry I posted that before reading further that you know what you're doing wrt weed.

NP.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I feel for you and want to offer some advice. Get a pulse oximeter and a home blood pressure monitor. They aren't expensive and are easy to use. With heart rate, O2 level, and blood pressure, even a layperson can tell if a serious problem is occurring.
This isn't to help you decide whether or not to go to an ER necessarily just that having more control helps, especially if you test every once in a while and write it down.

In my case a food allergy was causing a blood pressure spike, and feeling like you're gonna stroke out just makes it worse.

Borrowed my dad's BP monitor to measure morning and evening for five days per doctor's instructions, it's consistently higher than the recommended so far, systolic in the 140s, sometimes a bit less, diastolic in the mid-90s, resting heart rate in the 85-95 range. My O2 sat was 100 on the ambulance readout, though. Oximeter would probably be a good idea anyway if anyone in my family catches COVID.

Allergies could explain the food reaction. I've never encountered any, but it's worth asking about at least.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Any good variants drop lately?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lmao the mink ban ends December 31 and who gets airtime to agitate against its extension but the guy who kissed a dead mink on camera to prove it was safe to let his animal torture mill incubate a trillion new variants.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the lowdown on Mulnop Murpl... pir that antiviral Campbell is raving about? Is it as promising as he seems to think?

Real Mean Queen posted:

Google sez the civil war ran somewhere between 620,000 and 750,000 soldiers killed. I'm not good at math, can we crack 750 by New Years?

You probably already did. :haw:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

etalian posted:

Still pending approval which would be a FDA EUA.

Like other anti-virals it has the biggest benefits before severe symptoms kick in.

I gathered as much from the video, but if it delivers, will it be as much of a "game-changer" from the available data as he made it out to be?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

etalian posted:

I'd say not at least in the US since most people only show up at the hospital for COV19 when they are on deaths door.

Yeah, it's also $700 a course, so lol.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lol, basically nobody wore masks when I went to the packed ER for a suspected heart issue, not even around the guy on oxygen who got wheeled off to the infectious disease ward. One staff member would come in with a mask on after she'd already been in there without one and she'd take it off in the hall. Down the hall they had a room sealed off with plastic and a big isolation sign warning about droplet infection, wonder what that was about.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tatsuta Age posted:

how would a guy on oxygen also be wearing a mask

The staff didn't wear masks around the guy on oxygen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Principal of a Danish school with 10 teachers and 25 kids currently out with COVID wants to close his school temporarily to prevent further spread, but isn't allowed to as COVID is no longer "a disease of critical consequence to society". The school is in the district with the lowest vaccine uptake.

Teachers are still not allowed to wear masks and kids don't have to.