Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1498023662695419910

It's probably not what it appears to be at first glance, but I would die laughing if there was a spree of Ukrainian farmers just hitching Russian armor up to their tractors and loving off down the road with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

chemical weapons cost like $250 for the gas mask and mopp suit to deal with, as opposed to yards of concrete or a half-meter of composites for high explosives. biologics without cures or vaccines will kill your own troops and biologics with cures or vaccines are even cheaper to deal with

the chemical weapons treaties successfully stuck because theyre not good for anything. maybe we'll have anti-paratrooper treaties in a bit

Civilians don't typically have those kinds of protective gear handy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's a day old so it may have been posted but I didn't see it. Offers some potential insight into Russia's plan to weather the sanctions. I have no way of judging its accuracy but it seems in line with what's already been discussed here. Thread:

https://twitter.com/Killa_ru/status/1502075252989382664?t=6vjOuANRF3O5zTvxF_Vg5w&s=19

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

SUPPORT THE TROOPS! Wonder if there’s any krocidili in there?

You go to war with the synthetic opioids you have, not the synthetic opioids you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

E4C85D38 posted:

spc candies georg, who lives in fob and eats over 1,000 twix each day, is an outlier and should not have been counted

EDIT: To be fair, I was a disgusting fatbody when I was in and I'm not in much better shape than that guy now, but I'm also a depressed lazy 40 year old who's been out for 12 years.

EDIT 2: Jesus, 12 years.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 12, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This all stems from a Russian work called "The Last Ringbearer" written in the 90's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

It's really well known in the Russian literary world and has had a lot of influence. I haven't read it myself but apparently it's very well executed. Unpublishable in the US until at least the 2050's due to copyright issues, of course.

I tried to read it a few years ago. I thought it was an interesting take on the idea and a decent read until about 2/3 through when it got bogged down in Umbar being a mediocre spy novel. I couldn't really finish it at that point.

Icon Of Sin posted:

He also hated that some of the races he created were irredeemable (or nearly so), iirc. I don’t think he meant to arrive there with the orcs and trolls, but that’s where it ended up regardless.

Yeah the "born evil slaves, no free will" thing never sat well with his Catholicism, but he didn't find a way to reconcile them before he died so the closest thing to canon* on the Orcs and Trolls is that they're corrupted descendants of Elves and Ents who Morgoth and Sauron can basically mind-control and the idea of redemption was never explored.

*Not actually asserted to be true in the fiction, but this is the Elves' best guess.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 21, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Discussion Quorum posted:

On a proper AK, I believe the switch has three positions:
- No bullet
- Bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet
- Give him one bullet, and one bullet ONLY

In that order so that a terrified peasant soldier won't panic-slap the gun into full auto.

Talk about your point-and-click interface! :dadjoke:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Taerkar posted:

The Vomlet is the worst anything. MRE. Food. Paperweight. Biohazard.

Only since they got rid of the Four Fingers of Death.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IPCRESS posted:

Yeah, but what about Russian tech getting near-peer tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FwDMzIbZrg

That's amazing. What's the Russian word for "wunderwaffen"?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hillary 2024 posted:

Why does the largest general not simply eat the other ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yltlJEdSAHw

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I remember a lot of talk about supplying jets to Poland so they could pass on their Russian-built planes to Ukraine. Did that deal ever go through?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A.o.D. posted:

I dunno, it's fun to read about the warship building stalemate on the Great Lakes. Enough attention wasn't given to that in the history classes I was forced to take in school.

That was Henry Knox. Benedict Arnold was one of the principal leaders of the capture of Fort Ticonderoga (which secured those cannons) but he felt he didn't get enough credit so he resigned his commission and stomped off in a huff.

This is a fun book on the battle of Lake Champlain: https://amazon.com/Benedict-Arnolds-Navy-Champlain-Revolution/dp/0071468064

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

shame on an IGA posted:

I had it confused with Alas, Babylon

I'm pretty impressed by TFR's resourcefulness, given that Pat Frank died in 1964.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GD_American posted:

Seems like wish fulfillment on the part of a swabbie. Jettison non-essential ship parts and personnel to save the real heroes (us)

I was thinking pit snipe, but yeah, this. Fine example of the Navy horseshit mill in action, though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am sure the ballot was like:
Yes - I want to join Russia
No - I don't want to pass up this opportunity to join Russia

Imagine having to hand this ballot to an armed Nazi standing next to the ballot box and giving you the stinkeye in 1938 Austria:

No secret ballot. 99.7% of Austrians voted for the Anschluss, what a surprise!

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 27, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VictualSquid posted:

When was the last time that the US has armed someone fighting against a Christian country?
The only one I can think of was over 70 years ago, and also had a lot of right wingers insisting that the US switch sides.

Oh, buddy.

https://usafacts.org/articles/how-much-does-the-us-give-other-countries-in-military-aid/

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno about the all-encompassing power of the US government to plan for and respond to global nightmare scenarios. We either didn’t actually have a real plan for dealing with a global pandemic or it instantly went off the rails due to the leadership at the time. Neither option inspires a lot of confidence.

It was the second thing, for reference.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

M_Gargantua posted:

Infantry lagging behind armor you say? That's a Javlin'

:laugh:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Force de Fappe posted:

He is seriously never going to be able to live that poo poo down.

And he shouldn't.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I have to solely focus on my eternal crush on late-90s Rachel Weisz during that scene because the realist in me can only think about how they both likely ended up with horrific UTIs after bumping uglies after weeks of combat in Stalingrad with dubious access to bathing.

Back in HM school there were at least four incidents where people were caught banging in the barracks dumpster.

Horny don't care.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why would you target a hundred irreplaceable cruise missiles at Ukrainian coffee shops when your adversary is busily popping your command centers and ammunition dumps? Who loving knows with this poo poo

This is the same mistake the Nazis made during the Blitz: switching targets to terrorize and demoralize London's civilian population and giving the military infrastructure time to rebuild with US aid.

Didn't work that time either.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

If I want to be nice to him I'd say Jack Ryan.

He was a better Jack Ryan than Harrison Ford. The character works better as a nerd in way over his head than as an action hero. The Hunt for Red October is the only thing that ever came out of Clancy that was worth a drat.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cugel the Clever posted:

This escalatory language from the West is unacceptable. The only path to peace in response to Russian nuclear threats is meek obeisance and sacrifices to the hungry bear. Surely the rabid beast will be satiated after its meal?

Elon get off the forums.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

If this ends with someone doming Elon Musk at a Christmas party, then God bless us every fuckin' one.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Orthanc6 posted:

This plus the already existing threats from drones and missiles leads me to believe a fleet will need to include ships that are dedicated solely to point defense in the near future. A small ship with something like 8 Phalanx CIWS and way more ammo for them than usual. I imagine Russia struggled to intercept these for reasons related to why Moskva sank, but the success here will encourage more competent nations to invest in this form of attack.

Congratulations, you've invented the torpedo boat destroyer.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Herman Merman posted:

this nation used to build railroads

But do they call us "America, the Railroad Builder? No!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's called a defeat

Yeah, that's just not getting your rear end kicked quite as hard as you ought to have.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kesper North posted:

tfw a missile pulls a Crazy Ivan

Port or starboard?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I was in the OSINT space at the same time Brown Moses was starting his thing in the Middle East thread (and later the Ukraine conflict in 2014) and Twitter's importance was so valuable in terms of developing an understanding of what was happening in the Libyan and Syrian civil wars and also the Raba'a al-Adawiya massacre in Egypt in 2013. I used it extensively in analyzing and geolocating ISIS' video releases, and learned some interesting things about their propaganda style in the process. Twitter wasn't a perfect medium, but it was really great at the time for what one could learn from it.

Also lmao, lol
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1593511129665667074?s=20&t=cqHF7Ns832DScmMKr0E5NA

CSPAM is absolutely convinced that both of those guys are CIA assets, so them trying to come back and set up shop here would be the biggest drama-bomb this site has seen since KM's attempted forums coup.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HelloSailorSign posted:

But, but, sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name. :smith:

Sometimes that's KiwiFarms though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

psydude posted:

The meaning seems to be slowly shifting towards whiney and pusillanimous. I don't think either of those are inherently feminine traits.

Even the slightly more dated meaning signified a woman who was assertive, mean, and a bit vindictive. Again, not inherently feminine traits.

But if we wanna keep going backwards in time, then yes, calling someone a fertile female dog is inherently feminine, I guess. If we're gonna play that game, though, then we should apply the same logic to pussy, which is derived from pusillanimous, and has nothing to do with the slang term for a woman's vagina.

This is completely false, fyi.

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=24012

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

CS and recoilless rifles clear sinuses so well.

Hang on, I'm getting an idea. Anybody have contact info for the Shark Tank people?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A.o.D. posted:

Russia has forces designated as Naval Infantry, they're something like the US Marines, but also not. They're theoretically trained in conventional warfare, and have a long history of being used as such. Using those guys in Ukraine wouldn't be much of a stretch. Using engine techs off the Kunetsov is a different story, of course.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find they'd pulled all the Kuznetsov's firefighters and DC people. It might explain a few things.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bees everywhere posted:

Stop joking, this is serious stuff. Just imagine what the world would be like if the Ukrainians accidentally destroyed Lawton, Oklahoma.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HonorableTB posted:

Also we once sent a huge swarm of bees to Africa for charity

I remember that. The charity wouldn't allow a whole bunch of donated goats to all go to one person (the GOATLORD!) so it was decided to spread BEEEEEES! all over the continent.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

Join the navy reserve as an IT, get a clearance, never volunteer for anything and ride out your first contract and leave.
Field Service Tech jobs requiring security+, secret clearance for $35 an hour.

In retrospect I really wish I'd done this instead of being going greenside HM.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Imagine that "I don't know what I expected" gif but subtitled in German and Russian.

EDIT: I've never seen this one before but it's goddamn fantastic:

https://twitter.com/sjoerdeman/status/1617872449462480897

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 24, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FrozenVent posted:

That was the one where they CTRL-Z’d the stock market right?

The plot of Rainbow Six was as follows:

Billionaire ecoterrorist wants to save Earth by killing almost everyone on it. So he develops an Ebola-like virus, and hires a former KGB guy to organize terror attack (hostage takings, this is pre-9/11) so the terror alert level will go up.

Then the organizers of the Sydney olympics will hire the billionaire’s buddy who has a security consulting company; this will allow them to drop the virus in the stadium’s air conditioning system during the closing ceremony thus jump starting a global pandemic.

John Clark and Ding Chavez gently caress this up, however, so the head bad guys run to a remote base they’ve set up in Brazil. Rainbow Six flies down there, destroys all their poo poo and leaves them to die.

The heartbeat / explosive detector dowsing Rod of Iraqi police fame plays a big role.

It's been a long time since I read it, but IIRC the ex-KGB guy turns on them and becomes a good guy because environmentalism is just too wacky for him. He calls them "druids".

Without Remorse is decent if you want to read a book that is the result of Clancy throwing every cliched action movie from the mid-80s into a blender and pouring it into a 600 page doorstop.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lum_ posted:

It gets so much better in "The Bear and The Dragon", where he has his characters repeatedly call the Chinese "Klingons" repeatedly because they're just so inscrutable, those Orientals. And that was probably the least racist thing about the book. Also it had anti-abortion politics introduced with the usual Tom Clancy subtlety (evil Chinese Klingons gun down two priests who bravely try to stop a forced abortion).

An "abortion" that was being performed as the full-term baby was crowning, for extra wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The X-man cometh posted:

Hersh showed his whole rear end when he claimed that Brown Moses was fabricating evidence of Syrian chlorine bombs.

He's gone the way of Chomsky, where America= bad, anyone opposing America = resistance.

What's his CSPAM handle?