Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

In some sense the left needs more bastards - just the right kind of bastards, I guess.

The left needs people who're enough of a bastard to either keep the centrist cunts in line or get rid of them if they can't play along.
Part of me thinks there's also an element of being able to ignore the media, but the problem is that unless everyone you're relying to work with you or vote for you is also able to ignore the media, that doesn't get you very far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

After a certain point, you have to recognise that a broad church is not, in fact, possible because someone's always going to be trying to burn it down.

Varg Vikernes as new Tory PM when?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You could sit on your hands to keep them warm.

Countdown to a Telegraph writer suggesting that actually the Tories' complete lack of action on major issues is because they've been testing whether 'sitting on your hands' is a viable option for keeping warm.

No idea whether farting while sat on your hands helps, and I don't want to test it

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The delicate dance of trying to figure out which co-workers are weirdly emotional about it or incredibly invested in the monarchy, and which ones think they're parasites

Thankfully most of my colleagues at work know how left-wing and anti-monarchy I am already, so I should be able to get away with just rolling my eyes whenever something maudlin is said. Particularly since that's my default response to people talking to me anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can't work out if the pop-up I got from my train operating company's website right now is better or worse than the time they turned the website grayscale after Racist Philip died.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

krays reboot looking a bit poo poo

Jesus, Tonty looks on the verge of leaning back, opening up his second mouth and chowing down with several row of fangs on Keith's head.
By all means, Tonty...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Out of respect for Queen Elizabeth II hospital appointments will be rescheduled.

I've asked my manager if I can just work the day and take it back as TOIL at a later date.
I've got shitloads of work to do and a day of peace and quiet in the office would be really nice...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Someone give the clown some fingerpaints

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

loving hell.
Those poor kids.

As if the Birdbrain wasn't enough...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Hoyle's a useless prick anyway.

Bercow bullying his staff was obviously poo poo, but I at least got the impression that he was passionate about trying to modernise Parliament where possible, and that he considered our execrable voter turnout a real problem to be fixed.
Hoyle, meanwhile, is 100% about decorum and making sure people are wearing smart clothes. Like, who gives a poo poo when cunts like Johnson and Truss are running the goverment?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On the plus side, it looks like my trains are running as usual - if National Rail Enquiries can be believed.
Not sure I entirely believe it; but even if they are, I'm sure Greater Anglia will find a reason to delay/cancel my train anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My train was nice and empty this morning and this afternoon.
More royal death and Bank Holidays, please!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It annoys me slightly when people talk about 'community leaders' not doing enough to stop this sort of thing.
They're probably doing what they can, but when you've got racist police forces across the UK, it's hard to blame people for going along with "Oi, those Hindus are gonna burn down our mosque, so we need to stop 'em".
Plus, we're going into one of the hardest few months most people in the UK will have lived through - cost of living-wise, that is - and people are on edge. It doesn't take much for small things to blow up.

Interestingly, the Muslim Street Patrol nonsense from a few years back did stop after the community in Tower Hamlets basically told [indirectly; probably] the lads involved to calm down and shut the gently caress up.

Also, gently caress the BJP and their fascist fanboys.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Of all the lies to tell

Presumably, he was banking on the Tories believing no-one would be stupid enough to claim they worked for that moron.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'll give Labour some credit... they've really committed to their "Don't make headlines when your opponents are shooting themselves in the foot" policy.
Shame it's the only policy they've committed to in two and a half years...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

xtothez posted:

Haha 'secure energy supplies'. Isn't fracking basically the fossil fuel equivalent of rummaging through your sofa for spare change while also making your living room uninhabitable

There's nothing uninhabitable about flammable water, and it's unpatriotic to think otherwise.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been thinking that Kwarteng is an evil downs baby accidentally made chancellor for few weeks now, but you won't catch me saying it out loud.

[edit]
Should point out that I work with a few downs kids and they're all great. Notably not evil, mind you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 27, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Truss' promises also got more ridiculous as the leadership campaign progressed. It's not hard to believe that finance types assumed she and Kwarteng would course-correct a little on taking office.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Who are these journos she's talking about, and why haven't we seen them before?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As always, the only thing more tedious than a bad poster is everyone talking about a bad poster. Even ********* only surpassed 'massive tool' when the whole thread became about them. Whether it's trolling or just someone who's unable to not respond to comments about themselves, it gets old fast.

On the poll front, Tory MPs basically have a decision to make. Either they take action quickly to get rid of Truss, and hope that whoever takes over can drag things back a bit, or they hope desperately that when the next General Election rolls around, either Truss has managed to enact full dictator mode, or they've got a really cushy job lined up somewhere.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just booked myself a holiday for the end of the month.
As Just Another Lurker said - the money's not doing any good in my bank with inflation this loving high.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
TERFs absolutely seem like the kind of people who can tell you exactly how many subordinates they have.
I suspect they're also very magnanimous to the people they consider their equals, small though that list no doubt is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A job application should be about selling why you're the right person for the job and the interview should be about working out how much you were lying on your application [edit] and whether that matters.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I could imagine the company doing the cleaning having an existing contract with a large fee for showing up for jobs. Doesn't really matter for the day-to-day cleaning because that's a big enough job that the fee doesn't matter much, and for special occasions like this you can probably make someone else pay.

The NHS gets bled dry by stupid loving contracts like that, because of Tonty Loadsamoney Blair's maniacal fixation on sound financial planning getting the taxpayer to pay five times what anything's actually worth.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Not to go all Mumsnet but as the parent of two kids under 3, I really want them to show their working on adult to child ratio rules being 'unnecessary and damaging'.

It is kind of funny, if you can detach yourself long enough to see it, that all of these right-wing "yeah, go Team Economy, woo!" shitheads completely miss the economic arguments for public funding of services.
The reason you fund schools to a decent quality is that you need kids to get a decent education so they can grow up and do the kind of jobs that posh cunts don't want to do. If you half-arse Education, you get young adults who don't have the skills or knowledge to actually help the economy grow. Albeit, you'll always have some posh cunts complaining about kids today not being up to the same standards as they were back in my day.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1579022300858310657

This is a new thing. 1300 people are being ordered to surrender their passports to the police

Not a new thing - it's been done before with major international tournaments.
I dimly recall that some fans get smuggled across to Europe anyway, and seem downright offended when they get arrested by the Gendarmes (or similar) and deported.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So this is a couple of terminally-online idiots - one or both of whom may be awful people - having a slapfight online?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Ah yes those people I have definately heard of before.

Well, Michael Green is Grant Shapps, so I suspect fuctifino isn't being entirely serious

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

If only laughter at Tory schadenfreude could keep us warm this winter

You could heat yourself for months off Alex Jones schadenfreude right now

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Starmer is a bit of an empty suit. He's just a bland fuckwit for the usual establishment cunts to wield like a 13-year old reading The Times - he's more grown up than you, can't you see that?

Do I think Labour can win the next General Election, even with Starmer in charge? Yes, they can. They're already putting out some actual policies - the ones they've carefully nurtured, like a 13-year old reading five pages of instructions on 'Caring for your cactus'.
The problem is that Labour can really only win the next General Election if the Tories go into it with the dregs still in charge.
No-one actually thinks that Labour gives a poo poo about the lower 75% of earners, so if the Tories can find someone willing to pretend to go to bat for the poor, Starmer is hosed. The media will jump right back on Team Tory and write up every briefing memo they've received from the Tories about Keith flip-flopping on policy: "He says he supports workers, but he publicly confirmed his opposition to strikes 34 times!!!" etc etc etc

And I doubt your regular voter will find the rest of the centre-right of Labour any more palatable. They're all beige cunts and don't even have the votability of being overtly racist, sexist, misogynistic or contemptibly rich.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Interestingly, we've just had yet another example of the privatisation of NHS services going badly.
Babylon GP at Hand are pulling out of Birmingham because it turns out that running an effective GP business when demand is really loving high... is really loving expensive.
Not the only NHS contract they're ditching, either.

Sucks for the 5000 patients who need a new GP practice, at the very least.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

namesake posted:

One of the strongest 'don't vote for Labour' arguments is that a Labour victory will mean most union bureaucracies and a shitload of union members will suddenly be doing their best to clamp down on any labour militancy whatsoever as they need to protect the government from the bad press and 'give them a chance' and all that nonsense.

Erm, no?
Most of the unions hate Labour and certainly don't seem like funding a General Election campaign. I really can't imagine Sharon Graham turning round to her members and saying "Now now, he might have shat all over us in the past, but I think Sir Keir Starmer is now a man of integrity".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

If there's one thing I'd hoped Labour would have learned after Scotland in 2007, & former mining & industrial communities in 2019 is taking their voters for granted isn't a winning strategy.

OK, that's a lie, I'm glad they refuse to learn

Labour will never learn about anything that happened after 1997

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Not sure what happens if there are two equally large parties.

The Labour leader gets mocked by everyone until the next election.

More so than usual, I mean.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tigey posted:

As for holding an election now - its tempting, as it would let them dump all the problems they have created on Labour (yet again). But those brutal polls make me think they won't - they are greedy cowards addicated to power - they will likely prefer to hold onto power for the next 2 years - maybe anger will dampen down by then - a new PM might even manage to turn things around enough to eak out a narrow win in 2024. And if it doesn't, well they will have used those 2 years to dole out enough political favors to business to earn their juicy post-Parliament consultancies/board positions.

Also, they can't be oblivious to the fact that Starmer is the exemplar of Pathetic Opposition.
If the Tories can find someone to lead who can look competent and bring the media back on board, I can see Labour really struggling at the next election.

They have the best and the brightest working for them [citation needed] and are on a Campaign Footing, but they loving suck when it comes to PR. It's lovely photoshopping and boring memes all the way.
They still haven't re-established a campaigning team for on-the-ground stuff as far as I can tell (and they adore their own turds, so they'd have made a big deal of it if they had) and they're busy making sure a bunch of actually likeable candidates can't run in marginal seats. So who's going to get out the vote?
Plus, they have Keith as leader, a man literally no-one can get even remotely enthused about. And he's backed up by some of the greyest middle-manager cunts who ever thought about politics, developing a set of policies that have been focus-grouped to be as inoffensive, bland and worthless as humanly possible.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It was a pretty bad day for the Independent Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse to release their full report, given how little attention it's received.
In fairness, it's a really loving grim read, even to skim through.

The recommendation the BBC focused on is making reporting of suspected child sex abuse mandatory. I think most people in a registered profession would expect to lose their job and never get a similar one again if they suspected or knew about CSA and did nothing; I'm not 100% convinced a fine or short prison sentence would be hugely more motivating, depending of course on the reasons they didn't report it in the first place.

There are one or two recommendations that just seem stupid, like the one for all internet sites or P2P services to implement pre-screening of images before they can be uploaded. There's a throwaway comment about Apple developing something and then not implementing it but this is apparently good enough to convince the author(s) that the tech is available and reliable? Or that adults who work with children but don't have to get Enhanced DBS + Barring List check (because, for example, they're a self-employed music teacher) should totally get that done because... they should totally get it?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kin posted:

Folk here might think I'm giving him too much credit, but the whole "resigning" , truss somehow becoming PM (despite being a walking void), Dorries sycophantic praise, sticking around in chequers, putting his name back into the releadershio vote...

Well, it all has an air of being orchestrated.

Stick the dead cat up to show how bad it is "without Boris" and then saunter back in as the familiar, safer pair of of hands.

Boris will be PM again because that's the the shittest outcome will be.

Nah.
Boris isn't nearly clever enough to have done this deliberately.
He might still become PM again, but he's also far too lazy to be able to set things right. He'll get booted at the next election if he wins this. And then he'll go down in history as the failed PM who was kicked out of office twice during the same term.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Maybe the real Conservative Party was all the allies we paid for along the way

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

HopperUK posted:

also enjoying these very dramatically-appropriate thunderstorms. Pitch dark at 5:30 it was.

Seriously. The fierce wind and sudden onset of a torrential downpour had me wondering if we were going to have a tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Only Kindness posted:

gently caress "aspirational", it's a psyop - an actual one, not a made up one. You want things for everybody and not just for you? Well, guess you're not "aspirational" then

The "aspirational" part is wanting to be Prime Minister because you enjoy the prospect of trampling the visages of your enemies (i.e. the poor) into the ground.
This is different from doing so as part of a senior leadership role in a corporation because you have the veneer of a mandate smeared across your face groin while doing so.