Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would think that Gen Z and Millennials are getting much less of the economic progress that often leads to conservatism. They're have less job security and are likely to make less money.

They are also less able to purchase their own homes and therefore do not get the perspective-altering experience that comes with that. Home ownership is probably the big first step into becoming a me-first Republican (second only to owning your own small business).

Mooseontheloose posted:

Middle class Millenials also saw the life they grew up with evaporate in 2007/2008 and told to go gently caress themselves whenever they needed help and then have it happen to them AGAIN in 2020. They never benefitted from the American system economically the way the previous generations did.

Yup. Millenials grew up with the 90's American Dream only to watch it fall apart in the 2000's. 2001 we watched the country lose its mind (and admittedly many of us lost our mind with them for a while) and then we paid the price for it. It wasn't the boomers going overseas to fight the never ending war against Terrorism, it was young X's and Millenials going over, dying, or just being physically/mentally hosed up.

Watched in 2008 the market collapse and the government go "We'll just pay off the rich who screwed up". Watched the rich and everyone laugh at the Occupy movements while the media looked for the dumbest, most gullible idjit to interview for further mockery. Learned then that what we were taught in school, that if you peacefully protest the power will listen, was all bullshit. Gotta actually make the machine sweat.

Watched it again in 2020...and the years in between weren't exactly wonderful either.

Forced to go to college to get a degree, take on the debt, now everyone has a degree and it means nothing. I'm college educated and I work at loving Amazon packing boxes. I consider myself an incredibly lucky Millenial to have successfully paid off my college debt and have no outstanding debt to hold me down. I want to burn the world down and I honestly don't understand how those less lucky than me haven't started making molotovs or playing with thermite in their spare time.

Seriously, I was told if I busted my rear end I'd have a nice house. I bust my rear end and stay barely above water and have a beat up car I barely trust, a computer and a 1bd/ba apartment all too myself full of old, beat up second-hand furniture and I feel I'm living the high life.

I'm incredibly lucky to have left leaning parents and grandparents but I know several people my age who grew up just watching their family be replaced by changelings. The person is physically still there but there's someone else at the helm these days. A screaming hateful banshee or redcap that's lost its humanity and has been replaced with a fae hatred of the Other. After watching this inhuman transformation of our elders, and a handful of our contemporaries, it's unsurprising we reject any message coming from the soul-sucking void box and seek our own understanding of the world around us.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A GOP sex scandal was not on my list today, but throw it on the pile

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1611168274896785409

I mean a Republican sex scandal is basically a free space on any day's political bingo. I will admit I'm surprised it floated anywhere near to the top of the media churn with McCarthy doing his best to put in an early nomination for "Most humiliated idiot, 2023".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gyges posted:

The only way we get some form of a Unity House is for McCarthy to withdraw his nomination. Even then, it's likely that the next candidate put forward wins because the only real reason for people not to vote for McCarthy, is because it's McCarthy.

So McCarthy has to withdraw, the next guy then has to lose, and the next next guy has to find a way to ensure that the Democrats trust him to not just laugh at them once he's Speaker. It's not a very easy needle to thread.

There's also the fact that there is no "next guy" because none of the Republicans want this job. Everyone can see how much of a headache it is for how little gain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

House is a fine show, though the fact its one of the modern examples of bad people using "well im a supa rear end in a top hat and supa skilled* you have to tolerate me"

*not actually skilled

I was writing up a huge post about an episode of House where to get his way he basically wrote up a cheat sheet for a patient on how to get the test results he wants to prove he was right and she had boneitus. Then at the 11th hour he runs into the surgery room as they're putting her under to reveal that while the rest of the staff was wrong so was he and she had, le-gasp, third disease that was cheaply and easily treatable. He then has to explain how he helped the woman cheat her medical tests and doesn't immediately have his medical license thrown into the sun because he has rear end in a top hat Protagonist Plot Protection.

But you managed to sum it up pretty well in a lot less words.

PhazonLink posted:

but Santos is already the head of all committees?

also dont MTG and Boeburt have the the most absences( because they did MAGA touring and podcasting poo poo) like other than being leak vectors are they even going to bother to show up? and can the committee function?

I'm now imagining Santos carrying a big pile of IDs in a fanny pack so he can pull out an ID with his face on it but any other Representative's name so at any time he can drop "Why yes I am [other representiative], head of other committee." And then him pulling 3-4 IDs out a conversation as he says he's different people each time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Gaetz, Santos, and Gosar maybe.

Sorry, you mean Santos, Santos and Santos, right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the only good blue is bluey.

But I don't want an important life lesson. I want an ice cream!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah if what i heard :nms: they beat him until bones come out from breaks :nms: then yeah, its real bad.

And I certainly didn't want an impromptu skeletal anatomy lesson provided via cops. :whitewater: I think I'm going to avoid watching this one because holy poo poo that's hosed up.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i have no idea and i have only heard second hand information but its clearly bad if the loving FBI has to come out and say so. like yeah their is defiently good portion of "we can sacrafise these black cops for doing awful poo poo, see we are reforming" but even then you see the police union say awful poo poo.

Seriously, the FBI going "We have no horse in this race, but as soon as this press conference is over I'm going to start day drinking in an attempt to forget what I saw" is a hell of a hype bomb.

(Also sorry for quoting you 3x Dapper. Nothing against you, you're just so quotable)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Staluigi posted:

FOR THE RECORD i think its worth repeatedly highlighting that the SCORPION unit is 100% out of clearly fictional dystopia being written for the simulation

it stands for Street Crimes Operation to Restore Peace In Our Neighborhoods

Obviously the Street Crimes Operation is being shut down because, as shown by their latest Street Crime, the Operation was too successful.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

haveblue posted:

Amazon has no incentive to do anything about that because they have so much market power that their listings being full of garbage doesn’t reduce their income very much

Yup, I work at Amazon, albeit on the logistics side, and you can see it in the poo poo we package. If someone wants a specific name brand thing they'll search for it and get it. So you'll still see the big stuff: LEGO, Mr. Coffee, etc. etc.

But it feels like 60-70% of the product we shift is from "companies" who's names are created by a random generator. Just Hctuz shirts and Pokyalu cheap silicone fidget poppers and Mokwa cheap knives.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Blorange posted:

Does China not have spy satellites? What could be done from a balloon that you couldn't do more reliably from space?

Cause idiots to panic while China deniably goes "We're not poking you! We're not poking you!"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

one of the few upsides of the president being a senator since a dozen and change goddamn years before i was born: he has nothing but contempt for the modern Republican Party

Whatever other issues I have with Biden, I feel him being Obama's VP and watching playing nice and appeasement ending up such a mess has just stripped the man of every last gently caress he could for polite public discourse with the Republicans. Dude's been dealing with the GOPs increasing insanity since Newt Gingrich and is just done.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I believe that only works (or is suppose to work) in parking lots, with the idea being you can summon your car to the front of Target after you’ve done your shopping instead of walking like a poor person. They prolly get away with it by saying that parking lots are private property. Or something.

The front of parking lots near the entrance/exits of malls and stores: totally areas devoid of complex pathing problems posed by pedestrians.

I mean, I know what you're saying and I could totally see them pulling the "parking lot = private property" argument but still seems like one of the worst use-cases imaginable. See also: parking garages if your car can't tell what level it's on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm noticing this sudden very serious concern about wasteful spending in the military now in the wake of using a $400,000 missile to take out a balloon. Even though like a week ago Trump and every other CHUD was asking why Biden didn't just shoot it down immediately. Republicans asking for restraint in exercising the military budget is an unusual thing to see.

If a dem administration wanted to slash military funding by even four loving cents the GOP would be screaming about gutting the military.

Hell, the MIC probably spent/wasted 400k in the time it took me to write this post.

Remember Trump having one of those big stealth bombers drop a "MOAB" Fuel Air Bomb on some terrorist tunnels in the hills?

I remember that technically the thing was apparently near the end of its usable/stable life and detonating it was cheaper than dismantling it, but I also remember Trump and the GOP making a giant spectacle over us effectively running a live fire weapons test of the biggest non-nuclear bomb in our arsenal on foreign soil.

Edit: or at least I think that was a thing? I swear every time I remember something crazy happening during the Trump administration I have to double check and figure out a) if this poo poo I remember happened and b) was it just as dumb as I thought or actively dumber?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

It's the leaded gasoline of our generation.

I thought that was going to be the microplastics? :v:

In all seriousness as slow as the administration's response was I'm glad they're finally responding and pushing back at the railroads. Glad the fuckup also seems to have forced Norfolk Southern to give in to the workers time off demands. Shame it took a derail that got a freakish amount of attention to get those demands (and only for one railroad so far)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

DeSantis isn't going to beat Trump. Trump has already proven to the minority of establishment Republicans motivated by money that he will support the only thing they care about - tax cuts being his only legislative achievement, really.

As for literally every other Republican who is not a millionnaire - they're worthless failures of human potential where the only point is being cruel towards vulnerable groups they hate and triggering those who they can't personally hurt. Trump beats DeSantis in that every time no matter what the latter tries.

I don't honestly know why this is even a debate. There are no "compassionate conservatives" or "moderate Republicans". There are open fascists and people who don't care about fascism if it makes them a buck. I can't help but to see the media conversation about this being yet another stage in the continuum of desperately trying to maintain the pretense that Republicans are not what they are.

Basically how I feel. DeSantis's best chance is to hope the Angry Orange is carried away by a stroke or heart attack at this point.

DeSantis would have to avoid getting in a debate with Trump and that's impossible to do while Trump still draws his breath. The same red-meat loving crowd that DeSantis is wooing by mortgaging Florida's future will drop his rear end if DeSantis is seen as too scared to face Trump. Likewise, once he's actually in the arena Trump will just verbally trample DeSantis until he's just as broken as Ted Cruz was in 2016.

Not saying it's impossible, or even an exceedingly long shot: eventually Trump has to succumb to being a waddling tub of elderly lard but I just...do not see DeSantis having an actual presidential bid while Trump is able to belittle him for avoiding a debate like a coward.

Of course we can see this because a) we're outside of DeSantis's personal bubble and b) we're dorks enough to pay attention to just how bad DeSantis's public presence is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

KillHour posted:

There's zero chance New York would enforce this and the AG would file suit and get a national injunction basically immediately and then it would get thrown out after trial. SCOTUS likely wouldn't even grant cert for an appeal.

The shitheads running Florida are evil but don't just assume they're all powerful.

Yes, but it generates a media shitstorm. Most of the media would rightfully be calling this horrible but the stuff the conservatives absorb (mainly Fox News, the NYT opinion column, right wing radio) would be screaming in favor of the grandparents.

Meanwhile the whole media shitstorm wears down trans people, a lot of which aren't in the best mental state from the abuse they've suffered already in their lives.

Bellmaker posted:

I 100% agree with you but I could also totally see an Elian Gonzalez type situation happening where a child has to be forcibly brought back to their parents.

Also this.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The boring, but most likely accurate, answer is that DeSantis does not want to actually ruin Disneyworld. He just wants to make a show of it and slap down one or two "woke" ideas and deny them permits for publicity. Disney doesn't want a huge fight over this and will probably just keep their nose down and run things 99% the same way as they did before while DeSantis/Florida pick one or two high-profile issues to slap down and show them who is the boss/how tough they are.

Maybe they will surprise me and do something genuinely destructive, but I doubt it. He has no incentive to actually damage the property or business and Disney has no incentive to make a conflict out of this if all Ron is going to do is slap them down on one or two "woke" issues a year.

The problem is I feel is that DeSantis doesn't actually want to do anything more than strut around as the Big Man for a bit...Today.

Next year when he's high on his own farts and/or desperately trying to pull himself together after Trump's slapped him around? Well maybe he wants to actually start doing control.

Or the next, not-as-smart ghoul that comes along gets ideas now that DeSantis set this up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

I’m not sure there are more cunning republicans at this point. If there are they’d be cunning enough to know better than to run against Trump.

There are, but they're already elected. Folks like McConnel, and other evil bastards in state governments that are happy where they are being evil bastards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

haveblue posted:

I assume they did the hard part (surveys, planning, design, permitting) at some point in the past in anticipation of the day they’d need a new bridge, so construction could start instantly once the site was cleared

I could imagine they also built a design that required minimal time for any earthworks to settle. Either that or the railroad just accepted they'd have to come back 5 years later to fix things up.

Whenever you build big earthworks you have to let any dirt you've disturbed settle at least a bit before you continue construction. This is part of why roadworks and bridges often take so long. The big mound of earth that the construction crew created for the overpass will take like a decade to fully settle and compress all the air out, but most of the settling is done in the first couple of weeks. If you build before then yes the construction is done but you're going to have problems down the line as the roadbed settles another 2-3 inches. Or the dirt settles but the reinforced concrete pylons don't.

Or you could watch this video for an even better explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65tbfU9sCI

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

House Republicans have released their demand list in order to raise the debt ceiling.

In addition to the bullet points in the tweet below, they are also asking for:

- Work requirements for SNAP and Medicaid.

- Capping all non-defense spending and implementing an automatic cut to future non-defense spending if no budget is passed.

- No cuts to defense spending.

- Repeal the tax increases in the IRA.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1634208749584896001

LOL at that article starting with "A powerful group of far-right Republicans"

Fuckers are delusional if they think they have any power. Biden's already stated "Nope, not happening" to any of that and now they're just going to either look weak when they knuckle under and lift the debt ceiling, or insane if they follow through and generate voter anger against themselves.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

coelomate posted:

The new BTFP from the FDIC feels like it should stop any risk the bank’s have from long dated securities assets mismatched against short term deposit liabilities.

So why is First Republic bank down 70% (!) pre-market? That’s a move that implies we aren’t out of the failing banks woods yet. A few others are looking shaky too.

Are traders wrong, or was Sunday’s backstop not enough to stop this from boiling over?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PT6A posted:

Carter was well before my time, but everything I hear about him makes me think he's just a really decent, nice person. The sort of person you'd want to be friends with, just doing whatever together.

He's probably the most decent and nice a person can be while still also being the head of the American hegemony. I can legitimately believe he was both quietly able to be rather mean, you don't become President by being a pushover, but also way more caring than anyone else we've likely ever had in the office.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Who would come out on top in a contested primary? Are there any Kennedies left?

I'm not excusing Harris, her record on trans rights alone puts her straight in the dust bin of history, but who are the people you envision running in a primary against her?

I mean, there's this Leon S. Kennedy guy in the news a lot lately. Seems fairly young, fabulous hair.
:v:

But yeah, the Kennedy line (and Roosevelts as well) aren't what they used to be. Which is good we really don't need political dynasties here. Well, besides for maybe laughs. Think we can John Ellis Bush Bush to try to challenge Trump again in the primaries? That poo poo was hilarious.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 17, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Also for every God of Drunken Debauchery, there's an OhGod of Hangovers that catches up to them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

That is a point, and probably didn't lead to great things. Though it could have been worse: a small mercy for the Romans is that they didn't have Syphilis yet. That came after Europeans reached America and brought it back.

I was more thinking Terry Pratchett's Discworld where every mysterious force eventually creates a very real anthropomorphism. So the nights spent partying to whatever god of drunken revelry would be followed up to a morning puking in your chamber pot, unknowingly praying to the "OhGod" of hangovers until the poor, miserable bastard popped into existence.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

A lot of people went completely insane during lockdowns, I wouldn't be surprised if antisocial behavior and deaths and violence resulting from said behavior have spiked in the last few years. The roads certainly feel way more dangerous between this and people seemingly having figured out that you can kill someone and get away with it so long as you use a car, that it would extend to party destinations and big event weeks seems to follow.

Miami is also the center of a lot of crime of every collar color which is likely also a factor.

People losing their minds during Lockdown and still not getting them back feels like a big issue and I suspect just about everything is going to be at least a bit crazy for a good while until a social equilibrium is found again.

2019-2022 is going to create so many research papers just from everyone studying all the semi-invisible ways it drove us insane in hindsight.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m still confused as to what the gently caress “lockdown” means in the US. Nothing happened and if it drove you crazy that you couldn’t go to a restaurant or theatre, you were already fuckin crazy. There was no lockdown.

You had to get your Chili’s curbside instead of brandishing guns at the servers to prove a point?

There was about a month or two of actual "Stay the gently caress home" before the powers that be realized that was an issue because of money flow. There were a few months longer of responsible people trying to deal with it. Then there was about 18 months of insanity until the mRNA vaccines started making things Not Horrible again.

As someone who worked (and still does work) at an Amazon warehouse it was just 2-2.5 years of insanity and madness, of people losing their minds.

I just work with a lot of conservative assholes so it's a lot easier to say "Lockdown" than "Covid" because a) they're less likely to bitch about "Covid is a hoax, it's 5G internet that made people sick!" b) we all remember the crazy times working here and c) lol, we were never sent home, we had to work overtime during the crazy times.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Seph posted:

I feel like this is highly regional. My experience living in a Big Liberal City was that the majority took it seriously until the vaccines came out in the Spring of 2021. Of course there were tons of people who didn't care, but it seemed like the majority respected social distancing, wore masks indoors, and didn't go to large gatherings. Once the vaccines came out people definitely stopped giving a poo poo though.

Oh yeah, definitely regional and job dependent.

I live in central Texas along the IH-35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio. One of the more liberal sections of a conservative state so I had plenty of assholes but for the most part people either masked up or just...didn't make asses of themselves when not masking up (for the most part). As said, working at Amazon (which had its headquarters in Seattle hit early on in the pandemic) it also helped that they could go "Wear a mask or you're fired" during a point in time where a lot of people were worried about finding stable employment.

Corporate also sent so, so, so many stupid (and some not as stupid) ideas down the pipeline during that time. Lots of "throw poo poo at the wall and lets see if it sticks" work to keep us from maybe not getting sick.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Same.

You're a hero for working! Okay now you have to police emotional toddlers who don't want to wear a mask.

What, raise the minimum wage? Try getting a more important job, you loser.

*Gets better paying job*

"No! Not like that!"

Yeah, working in a warehouse I didn't have to deal with the brain-breaking hyper-Karen roid-rage incidents that a lot of retail/foodservice folks did. Instead as the guy who trained new people in my department I had to train hordes of people panicking because they've been laid off and are now working at Amazon where they've heard all the nightmare stories about.

Before pandemic was all "Okay corporate policy is 5 people per trainer per week."

During the early days of 2020: "Okay well your other trainer got promoted because the assistant manager for your department quit. Every other department is short handed on trainers too. So corporate policy is now ten people per week. You'll get twelve on day one, twenty six on day two, then come in on your overtime day to do the day one for another ten."

Before the pandemic it was all people who were either young and working one of their first jobs or people who'd been in retail/food service/construction/etc. their entire lives. When the layoffs hit we ended up with literally everyone who was desperate for a paycheck, any paycheck even if it wasn't big enough to just pay some bills now. I trained more than a few people who had to be explained that a warehouse is not the proper place for slacks and dress shoes. Wear the shorts and sneakers: yes it's not as stylish but you're not in an office here. You're now working in the Department of Aerobics, doing squats and lunges for 10 hours a night, 4 nights a week.

People wonder why I'm absolutely broken and give no fucks now. :v:

PostNouveau posted:

I think this is a big driver of the labor shortage (also the million dead and disable workers from COVID). A lot of people got the message real fast. This company is not a team, my life is seen as expendable by those in charge, my work is undervalued and underappreciated by both customers and management, everything I've been told about the virtues of work is a loving lie to get me to make money for someone else.

Yup.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Not the most critically important issue in the world, but a very big and positive change: The FTC is implementing a new rule that requires all companies that charge a subscription fee or uses a recurring payment system to provide an online option to cancel your subscription in plain view that can not have more steps or information required than it took to initiate the subscription. It also includes a lot of smaller changes that ban deceptive practices regarding payment schedules and free trials.

1980's standup comedians will not be surprised to learn that gym chains are extremely opposed to this rule and were lobbying against it.

https://twitter.com/FTC/status/1638848645750730758

It's not the big news of the media (or this thread) at the moment but...

While everything else is on fire it's oddly, weirdly nice to live in a time when some of the governments regulatory bodies are actually doing their jobs and actually regulating.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

cat botherer posted:

There's a group of bimbos that are up to no good:

https://vtdigger.org/2023/03/23/u-s-department-of-labor-intervenes-in-vermonters-suit-against-bimbo-baking-conglomerate/
US DOL release: https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/sol/sol20230321

I've never heard of contract workers being sued for making wage claims. It seems more like a SLAPP-like tactic instead of something that could legally hold water. Related, several days ago Ethisphere named Grupo Bimbo one of the world's most ethical companies.
https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/23467-ethisphere-recognizes-kellogg-pepsico-for-ethical-practices

I think that's why the DOL stepped in to make it absolutely clear "No, this does not fly. Stop your poo poo immediately."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Re: All the "Just build new small, mostly walkable communities out in the boonies" chat:

Honestly I would be all for moving to such a place but it would require at the very least de-privatizing of the internet and making broadband a public right much like electricity. It would make remote work so much more attractive as well. Which is one of the many issues with it.