Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Quina sounds like Donald Duck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gonna start playing the Crisis Core remaster tonight probably.

One thing I really like about FF7 is that there's a vitally important backstory character named Zack (as a Zach myself IRL). Not used to seeing my name pop up in video games (even if it is spelled wrong in this case!).

DanielCross posted:

Even if you don't actually play past the tutorial, it's worth opening Comrades at least once (Spoilers for FFXV Royal Edition content): One of the sidequests in the City ruins has you party up with a random Glaive, and if you have Comrades save data, it's your created Glaive from that game that you party up with.

Ah, that's cool. I never did the Comrades stuff, but I'm of the (apparently uncommon) opinion that FFXV actually has a very good plot, even if it's told pretty badly by the game on its own. It actually makes significantly more sense than some other FF game plots.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

ffxv unfortunately has a cool setting and cool lore but just the worst presentation. youre like 'the what now? huh?'

I think the game works well if you've watched the other stuff (like the movie and those other animated things). Obviously this shouldn't be the case and it's a failing of the game that it is, but if you do go out of your way to do that stuff it's good. It also has a very unique tone to it.

I remember being confused when I was first playing it (mainly about why the eternal night stuff happened when it did and what its deal even was in the first place*) until I was discussing it with my friend and suddenly everything clicked and I was like "oh this game's plot actually makes even more sense than most other JRPGs."

* IIRC this is largely buried in random documents you can read lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NieR Occomata posted:

FFXV rules because it’s really good at vibes. I only started fast traveling in the last 10% aka the weakest portion of the game, as everyone has rightly pointed out, when it’s all Noctis Must Fulfill His Destiny. Before then, aka the first ninetyish hours of playtime, I either ran/rode chocobos everywhere or sat in the passenger seat of the car as I had Ignis drive me everywhere as I stared at the straight-up beautiful passing scenery. It’s a final fantasy that is like literally 99% small moments of people just hanging out and helping each other and being friendly, and it just utterly rules at those interactions. Like, there is really no pressure whatsoever to advance the game’s main plot at all, and it’s basically the only FF I’ve ever played (and that even includes XIV) where that is the case. It is a game designed around enjoying its world, content, and characters, and the world-saving event is just sort of awkwardly crowbarred in there to the game’s overall detriment.

I think the vibes benefit greatly from the actual plot/lore stuff, though. It's sorta a "pre-apocalytic" setting, instead of the alternative that is far more common in media.

The movie content all being, well, limited to the movie definitely hurts things, because you don't really have a good sense for how hosed things are from the game alone. But I think the combination of "traveling with friends" and "everything being extremely hosed and on the cusp of being even more extremely hosed" creates a very unique sort of vibe.

People also tend to speak poorly of the later-game, but I thought the Niflheim capital stuff was suitably creepy/disturbing (and at least it's shown to the player, unlike what happened in Insomnia). The nature of the MT troops was also a pretty good plot reveal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Starscourge, isn't it very strongly implied that it's just some alien disease carried by the Meteor of the Six (by the name itself even, which is just "disease of the stars" in Japanese)? Or that something on the Meteor caused malaria to mutate into it (the explicit connection to malaria is kind of dumb, but I guess they just wanted to make it clear that it was actually a disease and not some pure magic thing).

My understanding of how it's eliminated is basically "strong enough magic." The Astrals aren't strong enough to do it on their own, but Bahamut creates this scheme whereby power is gradually gathered through the Lucian line of kings, sort of like One for All in My Hero Academia or something. Noctis is basically the point where enough power has finally been gathered to wipe out all the Starscourge.

So basically the answer to how the Starscourge is removed is "it's magic" but at least it's already pre-established that the Crystal is a source of huge magic (just not quite enough on its own I guess until it's been stockpiled for generations).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Angeal looks (and talks) sorta like Kiryu with different hair.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

really enjoying the overhauled combat in Crisis Core Reunion. The bones of the PSP game are still there but it's way faster and more exciting. there's a fun new mechanic where you can do more damage with physical abilities if you change them together with your standard combo which is pretty satisfying to do.

also, the short loading times alone make going through optional missions a million times more enjoyable than it was on the PSP

edit: lol, they added a tutorial pop-up that tells you "you level up from gaining EXP, it's not random, the EXP bar is just hidden"

I recently unlocked the Materia fusion stuff and I made a Barrier give +30% HP by fusing it with another Barrier (I always use Barrier even though I'm not sure exactly how much it's reducing damage).

One kind of annoying thing is how you don't know an enemy's elemental weakness until you're in combat with it, at which point you can't change your equipment (or at least I don't think you can). There are some enemies where it's obvious (regular troops are usually weak against fire, machines against thunder, fire-y things against blizzard, etc) but for most it isn't.

Also this has revealed to me that apparently Zack is "Zacks" in Japanese. Extremely disappointing and has basically ruined the entire FF7 franchise for me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Not going to lie, I think if Type-0 had been made for home consoles instead of the PSP, it'd loving slap so goddamn hard. It's a great setting held back by being a portable game.

I've never played this game and was just watching some clips, and it seems like something I might enjoy (I was able to tolerate the original PSP Crisis Core at least, and the action gameplay in this looks better than that).

Is the story at least engaging?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

I've only done the first mission but so far I'd say yes.

Looks like it's 12 bucks USD on steam right now if that influences your decision.

Ah nice, that's definitely a low enough price for me to give it a try.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

That might be part of the reason I like VIII and XIII so much. I feel like VII is in there, too, but I don't have quite the eye for design trends.

I like VIII largely because it's the first JRPG I ever played (I actually played the PC version, which came with the weird chocobo minigame thing - I remember the minigame giving me a lot of items).

Does the Steam version of VIII come with the chocobo minigame? I've never actually replayed VIII - I should probably do that at some point.

Speaking of VIII, I recently learned of the "Rinoa is Ultimecia" theory and I like it a lot and was very sad to hear that apparently it was denied by the writers, since it would go a long way towards making Ultimecia less of a weird out-of-nowhere boss (and certain stuff related to Ultimecia doesn't make much sense otherwise, like the Griever GF).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

emet is cool and all, and I enjoyed learning what his deal is, but I don't understand all the stuff the game does that treats him like he's your best friend or something

Yeah this is kind of weird, because the guy is like 10000x as bad as Zenos in terms of his actual crimes. I think he's a great character, but the game seems a bit too quick to be like "eh it happened a long time ago" about the whole "bunch of genocides" issue. I think it's good that the game still views him with empathy, but it deliberately makes his crimes feel more abstract due to all the victims being effectively nameless (since I doubt the WoL would be all buddy-buddy with him if G'raha died from his gunshot wound before they could track him down at the end of Shadowbringers)

NieR Occomata posted:

Until shadowbringers Emet-Selch is just a weird prick who fucks with you, but in a way that’s genuinely pretty funny and makes you enjoy the times he comes by to mess with you. During shadowbringers, they basically end up actually explaining who he is and what his plans are and it explains his weird assholey initial behavior as a way to mask deep pain, but sir I am Pagliacci style. Basically he’s a bad guy and he’s wrong but he’s introduced with so much charisma and is so genuinely funny and likeable, and the stuff you learn about his backstory in Shadowbringers ends up making you feel like he’s a villain who is 100% justified in his actions. That’s an incredibly, incredibly difficult line for the game to walk, wherein you feel both that you have to put a stop to him but also that what he’s doing makes sense and isn’t evil in a traditionally defined sense.

But Emet Selch doesn't even encounter the WoL until Shadowbringers? IIRC he first shows up in some post-Stormblood patch cutscenes with the Garlean Emperor.

NieR Occomata posted:

Ultimecia theory is narratively and thematically satisfying, and is partially even alluded to in the text of the work itself, even if unintentional. Squall is Dead is bullshit rear end Author is Dead fanwank wherein it’s a race by people who took their first Film Studies 101 class trying to come up with the most “out there” (that’s actually super cliched but whatever) fan theory and then backfill a justification. Basically it’s Room 237 but for weebs.

Yeah I don't think the two theories are comparable at all. Also this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSKdCbteMQ&t=250s. There's also the thing with Squall's face being obscured with a black hole, though in the context that happens in it's likely just referring to Squall forgetting who he is or something.

All the evidence is completely circumstantial, but there's quite a bit of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Am I missing something or is Crisis Core's combat pretty braindead

It's pretty braindead, though it's kind of fun taking advantage of its various materia/equipment to break it early into the game, sorta like FF8's junction system. I'm in chapter 4 and have the Hell -aga spells with Status Ward, this bullshit defense-bypassing "Darkness" ability, and an item that makes my attacks hit with all elements' damage type.

Also it's silly how you can essentially keep an endless stock of MP/AP recovery items.

edit: Also when I'll be like "drat this fight is a bit tough" and suddenly I get the option to press Y and have Odin kill everyone

edit2: The one advice of sorts that I could see someone missing is that it seems pretty important to stack up your HP (and you can do this pretty easily using materia fusion). I was able to punch above my weight class (so to speak) by having like +150-200% HP, since being able to survive a single hit is often enough to beat higher-level encounters, since you can space healing items or spells pretty easily.

Augus posted:

the game shows empathy for Zenos, too.

Yeah, but you can have empathy alongside judgement, and the WoL's perspective towards Zenos is very different from Emet Selch. The "default" WoL perspective towards Zenos is generally "gently caress this guy" up until the very end (even if you have an option to be like "I kind of like him personally even if he still needs to die for what he's done").

I like Emet Selch and think he's a very good character (and all his actions are entirely understandable given his history/motivations), but I don't think there's any denying that the game/characters' perspectives would have been very different if he had killed an actual familiar "named" character at some point.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 19, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

Like imagine if our current climate crisis could just be solved by sacrificing literally every single dog in the world. And the reason why it won't happen is because some bitch is like "no, those dogs have a right to the future and our time is past anyway, plus I want to see what the post human dog world will look like". Like both of these perspectives are understandable, but as humans living in the human world, you're going to choose the path that ensures the continuation of humans, even if that means canine pupper holocaust.

This is not a good analogy. It's more like if climate change had already wiped out humans thousands of years ago, and in this time a society of sapient dog-people developed. A remnant of the destroyed human civilization then decides to kill all the dog-people to revive the extinct human race.

It's a persuasive and understandable motive, but it's also unambiguously wrong (and even Emet Selch realizes this and is mostly just struggling with the sunk cost of everything he's done up by the point he meets the WoL). It isn't remotely a "morally grey" situation - it's just a sympathetic motive from the perspective of one of the handful of people who survived the end of their civilization.

Edit: Emet Selch uses the "post-sundering people are inferior" reasoning that presumably prompted your comparison with dogs in the analogy, but even he realizes it's complete bullshit (or at least has come to realize that over the millenia, as he watches civilizations accomplish things the Ancients never had). He just feels a need to believe this to justify his actions.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 20, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HD DAD posted:

FFX’s story is one of the few video game stories I could see holding up outside of the medium. It’s just legitimately good.

Tidus is a good character IMO and it's dumb that he has a bad reputation. Still my favorite FF game.

Some elements of the story flow would probably have to be changed for another medium, but the base plot is still solid.

Gologle posted:

In the end you're still choosing dogs over people though, which is my point. Emet couldn't do it, and it's understandable why he couldn't do it. He isn't destroying the world for the lulz or because he's the manifestation of hate or something like some two bit 80's RPG villain. It's compelling.

The fact that you're choosing "people already dead" over "people still living" is an extremely important distinction, though (and is the thing that makes it "unambiguously morally wrong" instead of "morally uncertain").

Also, comparing "ancients vs the mortal races" to "humans vs dogs" doesn't make sense, because it's transparently obvious that the mortal races are fully sapient and capable of communicating with the ancients (and generally don't seem that different aside from being less powerful and having limited lifespans). I've always disliked when fiction (usually scifi) tries to do a "this advanced race sees humans like humans see ants" sort of thing, because it usually doesn't make any sense (though this is fortunately not what FF14 does, since Emet Selch is partially bullshitting himself when he goes on about the inferiority of the mortal races).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve been hearing “Tee-fa” lately and that’s an absolute no. It’s clearly a short version of “Tiffany.”

“Marle” is just an ugly word to say.

Is there really a British pronunciation thing where this wouldn't just be "Tiffa" (if it were pronounced as you describe)? I thought that "i + single consonant + vowel" almost always results in an "ee" sound (or sometimes "eye," like the name Milo or the word silo).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't say I'm a fan of Zack's new mullet.

For some reason my brain actually likes these extremely repetitive bite-sized missions. Gotta fill out the log. I have a feeling that the optional end-game content is going to require somehow fusing to get super high attack/magic stats (which I can't think of any non-tedious way to do), though. In normal play the non-HP stat-boosting items seem pretty useless, since they give values too low to matter (which I think you could hypothetically get them very high through grinding out a ton of stat boost items and fusing).

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's because it would suck and be bad and they leave the cross over joke stuff to side games that can do more with them and work on cool new stories for the big big games. Seems p. Obvious op.

But what if all the FF characters dated each other

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got PC FF7R since it was on sale and have been very pleased that it runs at 120fps (which I suspected it might).

I kind of wish more games went FF7R's route of cutting a lot of corners in environment graphics while maintaining a very polished look to main characters/combat. Being able to run something at 120fps is far preferable to being able to have exceptionally good looking grass or whatever. You can lower settings in other modern AAA games, but they usually end up looking really lovely if you do so too much.

RME posted:

That dungeon was annoying but mostly for the gameplay reason of starting from scratch for a contained space, but the rest of this is you just being unable to infer context at all which is just pure skill difference.
Also this dungeon happens before the goodbye part too. CS2 definitely had a slight issue of basically having 3 endings back to back but once again this is separate from what you are actually complaining about

Also, the Zero games not being released in the West obviously would have had zero bearing on the developers' decisions when making the Cold Steel games, since they were initially being made for a Japanese audience. And it was just a dungeon at the end, so it's not like they required knowledge of Zero/Azure for the bulk of the game.

NieR Occomata posted:

Xenoblade is good (3 most so) but if what you’re looking for is like, real characters having real human emotions and being even somewhat clever steer loving clear of that series, everyone in it is some flavor of moron.

I would say also your best bet overall is the legend of heroes series, most notably trails of cold steel. Unlike the legions of YouTube explainers or vaguely smug super fans variously claiming that OHH NOOO YOU HAVE TO START WITH TRAILS IN THE SKY AND ALSO READ FAN TRANSLATIONS OF ALL THE UNRELEASED GAMES IN ORDER TO START HOW DARE YOU just start with trails of cold steel and go back to the other games if you really like it, you will be genuinely lost at points because the series makes fuckin’ zero attempts to even somewhat contextualize character introductions or moments and just expects that you’ve played 500+ hours of video games before starting this one, and some of its tie-ins to previous games are genuinely huge moments and not just cameos or asides, but honestly in my opinion that’s a failure of the game and series that it doesn’t do even the bare minimum of hand-holding when it introduces a past element. Cold Steel is the most modern, and the most modern feeling, and actually feels like a game that’s designed to be fun out of the gate unlike TitS which feels like twenty hours of studying and the slowest paced and most turgid plotting before it finally takes the limiter off.

Xenoblade 3 has dramatically better party member characters than any of the Cold Steel games IMO, at least when comparing its main party to the main party members of the Trails games.

Also, while I enjoy the Trails games (they peak with Zero/Azure IMO), I don't really like the combat in the Cold Steel games (particularly the later ones as it keeps adding more characters). And while I know some people like that sort of combat/character building, it's basically choice overload for me. I would like them far more if I only had to worry about a normal-sized party of characters. It's just too much to have to deal with the orbments/equipment for that many people + all the poo poo with master orbs/sub-orbs.

The one thing Trails does well across all its games is the broader setting (which is distinct from the actual game plots). It's very good about world-building and dealing with NPC characters. I also think it does party dynamic really well in the Zero/Azure games and Cold Steel 1 (less so the later entries). The main plots tend to be pretty goofy (which is why I don't mind TitS 1 being pretty low on main plot).

FrostyPox posted:

I really hope someone at Squeenix decides "let's give Orience another go" someday.

I feel like they really wanted Class 0's characters in particular to become popular, by including all the various idol archetypes among its members. But they just didn't make/market the game in a way that could achieve that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 22, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Finished Type-0. Rejected the crystal's offer because a life of servituted to the crystal and being put in stasis until needed again seems lovely

The final cutscene was sad but I wasn't really sold on class 0 being fatally injured. They could walk talk and didn't seem that bad.

Then the mid-credits scene hit :stonk:

This is, apparently, the good ending.

I need to go for a walk. Final thoughts when I get back but I'll start with this: I loving love this game.

I hear you have to play it a second time to get other main quests and a different ending or something. Have you done that yet?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I reinstalled PC FF15 and was pleasantly surprised to see that it runs well now (with the help of some SpecialK tool). Getting like 90-120fps in 4k, though with some settings turned down. I find that high fps makes the biggest aesthetic difference in open world games played on a big screen, since you really notice when panning the camera around.

One thing I dislike about FF15's open world is how frequently you get harassed when wandering around on foot. Random hell-wolf things just popping up around me every minute or two, or imperial airships dropping on me. It also plays spooky foreboding music a lot. Which I guess is kind of appropriate to the setting, but the end result is that I just haul rear end from my car to the quest objective and then teleport back to the car.

Never played any of it's DLC beyond the first, so curious to try those at some point. Still need to finish Crisis Core first, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

Beat Crisis Core Reunion. Playtime was 23 hours but I was playing on hard mode and also did about 50% of the side missions along the way. I forgot just how nonsense the story is lol, so much of the game is just stuff happening out of nowhere with no real setup. Characters just randomly change sides without any real explanation. I had no idea what Genesis was even doing during the final battle and like all of the plot-relevant dialogue is characters esoterically talking past each other. Still a fun game but man it is up its own rear end lmao

Anyway gonna go hunt down the BS superboss now.

I haven't finished yet, but everything with Angeal is very funny. He leaves and then randomly comes back, and then has you kill him.

I want more Cloud/Zack. What little there is is good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, I've never seen anybody say VIIR was anything but the perfected XV.

This is the first I've heard of it being like XIII and I'd like to hear an explanation of how that works.

At the core of it is the fact that they were developed by many of the same people (as opposed to XV which was not).

In terms of details, they both share the stagger system and have very similar linear level design with the occasional hub area + AI party members.

Comparing VIIR with XV is actually kind of strange, since the only thing they really share in common is live action combat (and that live action combat is fundamentally very different).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cleretic posted:

And the Yakuza devs.

I hope they change their mind about this, because I didn't like it much at all. The action system from Lost Judgement seemed like a much better progression of Yakuza gameplay.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looking forward to the upcoming Yakuza Battle Royale game, capitalizing on all the latest trends.

In a bold departure from the series' norm, there will be no story. You will just choose your favorite Yakuza character (equipped with skins earned through the BP or purchased with microtransactions) and parachute into Kamurocho, where you duke it out with the other players.

In future seasons other areas like Sotenbori can be added.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

FFXV’s magic system was just vancian casting.

Imagine if !Mix had vancian spell slots. Also, the mix command lets you include an element as an ingredient. When you rest, however, you don’t refresh the spell slots, you just refresh the elemental ingredients.

That’s the FF15 magic system.

I've been replaying 15 on PC, and the magic isn't quite as bad as I remembered. You end up with quite a few slots and can absorb more magic pretty easily. You're encouraged to use the magic you have just so you can free up slots to use up the resources you've gathered naturally through camping, using the Engine Blades, etc.

It's also pretty cool looking. I like how the ice magic leaves everything coated in frost. I basically use magic anytime a fight seems like it might be annoying (like against those mindflayer guys).

I think my main gripe with the combat is the way you can spam potions (which are super cheap and heal 50% HP so they never become weaker). I guess they wanted it to be possible to beat while blindly attacking things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The very end of Crisis Core is very goofy in terms of pacing. Just suddenly Genesis pops up (and I'm now doing this kind of convoluted dungeon that I'm finally almost done with), and also Lazard as an Angeal copy (lol wtf?). They should have resolved the Genesis stuff before Sephiroth going crazy (which seems like it should logically result in a direct path to Zach getting killed while trying to get to Midgard with Cloud).

FF7R should have had a cameo by flying Angeal-face dog.

edit: Wait no! Not Angeal-face dog! I will never forgive Shinra...

edit2: As a Zach IRL I'm happy that I have a "Thank you, Zack" achievement on Steam now, even if it's spelled with a "k" instead of an "h"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 30, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Am I supposed to know who the two guys who take Genesis away near the end of Crisis Core are?

Gaius Marius posted:

I fully do not remember what Angeals deal even was.

There isn't a lot there; he was an experiment like Genesis (at one point they say he was the "perfected" version, but this seems meaningless since he seemed to be experiencing the decaying just like Genesis), and he leaves SOLDIER presumably to do some soul-searching about the whole "being an experimental monster-like thing" issue. In the end apparently he decides to...just kinda vaguely assist Zack some? And then he makes Zack kill him, I guess as a "I'm going to die anyway, might as well be to my protege" gesture.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Question about Crisis Core plot - Am I misunderstanding something or did Genesis's batshit plan to cure his degradation by re-enacting a scene from LOVELESS actually work? He re-enacts the fight in front of the Goddess statue and then it seemingly cures him. I looked on the wiki, and this seems to have been the case?

Also, why did all those 2nd/3rd-class SOLDIERs desert with Genesis? Genesis's motive is straight-forward (curing his degradation + probably also disliking Shinra because of it), but why would all these other SOLDIER randos join? Maybe just personal loyalty to him as one of the "big three" First Class guys? It's also not clear to me if those SOLDIERs volunteered to be turned into Genesis clones (it's kind of weird if they did, but it's also weird if they didn't and the game still tries to redeem Genesis despite mutilating all these guys).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

man nurse posted:

It’s funny, I’ve played FF 15 to absolute completion multiple times, but never brought myself to touch the DLCs. They just seem like the antithesis of what I liked about the base game, which was the roaming around camping and road tripping and side questing. I couldn’t be less interested in a linear campaign that tells you what your party member was off doing with completely different game mechanics.

Are they considered good at all?

I really like FF15 and to be honest I can't understand playing it that much if all you like is the open world content. There isn't exactly much variety to that, and the party doesn't interact much during the car drives or camping (outside of stuff you'll probably encounter just during the main plot). "Exploration" isn't really a thing in FF15's open world, since there's not really anything to find off the beaten path; you get quests from the various towns and then only leave the car/road to reach their destinations. And most of the character interactions occur in the space of the story and the relatively small number of substantive side-quests, so it's not like you're rewarded with a bunch of extra dialogue for driving around and camping a bunch.

IMO the road trip stuff works best just throughout the main quest, with side content sort of interspersed throughout. It doesn't really work well when you're doing a zillion hunts/etc in the "post-game."

The DLCs are generally surprisingly good IMO, except Gladiolus's which is just kind of mediocre. They're generally more "high effort" than I would have expected and do a lot to the flesh-out the characters (particularly Prompto).

edit: Also, I think a lot of the better party interactions actually occur during the linear latter parts of the game. I think the whole dynamic between the guys is communicated very well throughout the events that take place.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why does Genesis commit suicide by Zack after he gets cured? Did they even have anything to fight about at that point?

Unlike Angeal, he doesn't! He survives the fight. I was confused about this at first as well. He's taken away by two antagonists from the Dirge of Cerberus games (something I didn't know until asking about it in this thread). Apparently Genesis (who is good now after the events of Crisis Core) is still alive in the canon and just waiting in status to awaken and help save the world, lol.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 31, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In my PC FF7R playthrough I just got to floor 59 in the Shinra building, which looks extremely similar to the floor I visited in the JPMorgan Chase Tokyo building in 2009 when visiting a friend who worked there at the time. Very accurate depiction of that sort of thing. I remember being in awe of how there was this tall ceiling and an entire wall of giant windows looking out across the city, while sitting on one of the sofa things waiting for said friend to get off work.

One thing I've noticed is that, during my first playthrough, I never really understood out the pressure/stagger stuff worked. Now I do, which helps a good deal (though I still kinda suck at the game and often have to constantly spam healing on the party). I've also found some pretty strong synergies, like using the "give ATB gauge to party members when using a skill twice in a row" materia on Tifa while spamming her Focused Strike ability.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The strategies I read about beating the summon boss gauntlet in FFVIIR is to spam firaga/thundaga while standing in an Arcane Ward but I just run out of MP which makes Bahamut impossible. I’m pretty convinced that fight is impossible anyway. The one guide said to use ATB assist and use a lot of abilities with Tifa to boost the other two characters’ ATB so they can keep casting but it sure doesn’t seeem to do anything! Does it only trigger when you use the commands from the menu? Do L1 shortcuts not count?

I was doing pretty well just beating the bosses down with Tifa but then Bahamut is impossible. Very annoying.

Regarding ATB Assist, I think it has to be direct back to back, with no delays. I find the easiest way is to queue up the second skill while using the first. Using the shortcuts, I imagine you'd have to basically be spamming it or something (unless the shortcuts can also queue abilities; I don't use them so I don't know); you can't have any delay to speak of between uses. With Tifa, a good option is spamming Focused Strike, since it seems to build back her own ATB such that you can spam it over and over again.

I've noticed that most guides seem to just omit information about the boss's attacks, outside of the particularly exceptional ones. I'll look up a strategy and it almost always falls apart instantly as my characters start getting owned. The strategy will just assume that you're able to flawlessly execute a sequence of commands at the beginning of the fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FF7 8bit version

I played a FF7 pseudo-port for the TI-89 graphing calculator in 8th grade

I remember you wandered around a world map and got into random fights.

edit: Wow I actually found it when I googled it on a whim just now - https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/86/8633.html

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I defeated Bahamut on FF7R PC on my first try, which is a relief because I was expecting it to go poorly since I kind of suck at this game. I never fought him on my first play-through because I didn't have the foresight to always have the Revive materia equipped (since it's impossible to get it reasonably maxed by the final Chadley otherwise).

I'm guessing it's a automatic loss if he completes his countdown? Fortunately I had a couple limit breaks available when he got down to 1.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Full remakes of every single Final Fantasy as the character action games they have decided everybody wants them to be.

Also Vivi will say 'gently caress'.

Vivi lifts up his hood, and he is a heavily scarred and unshaven man with a deep growly voice (the voice changes after he removes the hood).

RevolverDivider posted:

The Roxas part is like actually kind of good story wise compared to the rest of KH.

Long as I keep getting quality combat though I'll keep buying. 3 was ehhhh on release but the improvements and addition of Critical and the DLC made an insane difference

I only remember the Roxas opening because I only played the first half or so of the game. I remember it solely because the girl I had a crush on in college invited me over to her dorm to play it (she was not interested in me, but she did get me a summer job sophomore year when I probably couldn't have found anything decent otherwise).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 2, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just finished the PC FF7R, which is actually the first time I completely finished it, since I got to right before the final fight on the PS4 without finishing it.

I think I have some idea where it's going, and if so it's pretty interesting. I think that through cutting off the world from the "strands of fate/memories" it'll cause pretty big problems for Cloud, since Cloud's whole identity is basically composed of the memories of various people (and primarily Zack). I think the scene with Zack at the end is indicating that, through their actions here, Zack's influence on Cloud (which he heavily relies on as a source for his personal strength/will) will basically be removed (since in this new world Zack never died and never "imprinted" himself on Cloud in that manner). I think this better explains the really obvious negative/bittersweet tone to the scene showing Zack survived, which would otherwise seem like a really good/hopeful thing (and it's immediately followed by Aerith saying that she "hates the sky" - basically the scene of Zack is interposed with Aerith expressing fear/sorrow at being cut off from fate). It also explains stuff like the scene where Sephiroth knocks away Cloud's Buster Sword (which can symbolically mean cutting him off from his connection to Zack).

So in the future games there might be some sort of arc/theme of Cloud needing to rebuild himself without the help of these memories of people who have influenced him in the past.

edit: The one thing I'm not totally clear on, though I think I probably understand it, is what the deal with the various Sephiroths was. If I'm understanding correctly, pretty much all Sephiroth appearances until the very end of the game (the Sephiroth who offers his hand to Cloud and uses "ore" in speech) are Jenova. It also seems like Jenova is removed from the picture as of the end of this game (since she had "infected" the lifestream due to the events in Nibelheim when Sephiroth fell into the lifestream holding her head). That being said, I feel like the real Sephiroth had to have had some hand in influencing events to occur as they did (since his goal was obviously to cut off the world from the Jenova-infected lifestream and thus liberate himself in the process), but it's not clear to me how that happened.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 3, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In the scene you referenced in the ending, the one where Zack survives, it’s supposed to be an alternate reality/timeline based on the little flyer or whatever of Stamp where he’s a yorkie instead of a beagle or whatever. So Zack is still dead in their timeline but there’s an alternate one where he survived and it seems like they might be interacting? I thought the big takeaway from the ending was that they overcame the whispers who represented fate and/or the expectations the producers had to contend with, so literally anything could happen going forward. Aerith could live. Who even knows at this point? And that’s super exciting!

As for the cloaked guys with the number tattoos, I can’t remember if they turned into Jenova monsters/Sephiroth in the original game but that conceit was the crux of the plot of Advent Children. It’s tough to tell if they actually encountered the real Sephiroth in FFVIIR. I look forward to that being explained in the future installments.

The impression I got is that their own timeline/history was changed, rather than there being a separate one created "alongside" it. This also seems to make more sense because "Zack existing in some separate timeline that our main characters aren't in" wouldn't seem particularly relevant.

I was reading some theory (that seems heavily supported by comments made by Nomura plus some other stuff) that the lifestream is basically made up of memories, and that the events at Nibelheim (where Jenova was able to "infect" the lifestream* - which goes on to result in the events of Advent Children as well) "corrupted" the lifestream with Jenova and result in the events of the original game. Through the events of Remake, this influence of Jenova upon the lifestream is removed, possibly rewriting reality retroactively. This theory also proposes that the various headaches/visions Cloud gets are caused by "Sephiroth's memories within Cloud," which cause the divergence from the normal plotline (and is why the events of Remake are ultimately "caused" by Sephiroth). While Cloud in the original game is primarily just shaped by his memories of Zack, in this there's also some Sephiroth thrown in there, which is why Cloud will sometimes do bizarre stuff like trying to kill Johnny or Reno. This is why the Whispers step in to stop him from doing the latter, since it's an action Cloud wouldn't have taken in the original timeline (Tifa handles stopping the former).

This also results in Sephiroth (actual Sephiroth, the one who speaks with Cloud at the very end of Remake after the big whisper thing - which I interpret as "will of the Jenova-infected lifestream, so basically Jenova - is defeated, as opposed to "Jenova-Sephiroth") ending up a primary antagonist in this new story, instead of Jenova (which was basically the main enemy in the original game).

* I also think this is why "Crisis Core" is called what it is; since the Nibelheim event of Sephiroth(/Jenova) falling into the lifestream cause everything that happens in the main story, since it essentially gives Jenova influence over "the memories/will of the world" and thus history itself.

edit: The one possible issue with my interpretation of things that comes to mind is the existence of Cloud's Buster Sword, since Zack also still has his. But I think that a "the timeline itself changed" explanation would be way more interesting (and can be explained given information we know about the setting) than a "multiple timelines exist" one (which is liable to just lead to a lot of confusion and convoluted explanations).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 4, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other interesting thing that FF7R theory brings up is the way the same tessellation pattern is common to both Crisis Core's "digital mind wave" (which represents memories - Zack's in this case) and FF7R's interface. The re-release of Crisis Core makes the relevance of this even more likely (the theory in question was posted before the re-release was announced). It supports the idea of memories being integral to the themes/plot of FF7R in some way.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just rolled credits on crisis core reunion. Really fun and I enjoyed hanging out with Zack and the other characters (especially Aerith). I wish they had spent more time with Cloud but it was alright.

The whole part with Genesis after like chapter 5 or 6 felt very shoehorned into the plot especially in the final two chapters. Game loses a lot of steam after Nibelheim plot wise. But all in all I still really enjoyed it. Can’t wait for part 2 of the remake now.

Yeah I wish we got to see more of Cloud and Zack. What little we got to see was really charming. They should have let Zack visit Cloud's house for dinner, like Cloud texts him about.

edit: I also thought the pacing was really bizarre with all that stuff happening post-Nibelheim. I guess they needed to shoe-horn in a "final boss" (that you can actually defeat, since it'd kind of suck to have the final boss be "getting owned by Sephiroth") though it seems like that stuff could have just happened before Nibelheim.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I started playing Type-0.

How in the gently caress do you deal with the camera in this? Any time I try locking onto things the camera goes completely insane the instant they start to get close to me. But if I don't lock on I don't think I can see when enemies are vulnerable (and I'm not sure if my ranged attacks are reliably hitting them; I tried just not using the targeting in this recent fight and every time I used Ace's special cards they just seems to go nowhere).

edit: Against a single boss enemy it wasn't so bad, at least.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 5, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish they’d hurry up and remaster XIII trilogy so I can play them again. They were fun! Even the first one!

Looking forward to the VR version of the XIII trilogy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I started playing the FFX remaster on PC, and was wondering if there's any way to check a character's max HP in battle. There aren't HP bars, so I'm not sure how to tell how hurt you are unless the number is yellow (or you just memorize each character's max HP).

I'm also playing with JP voices just to see what that's like. They're mostly great, except for Auron who kinda sucks and is maybe the first ever situation where I've had a really strong preference for the English VA in a Japanese game (and in an older game even!). His JP voice just does not seem to mesh with his appearance/character. FFX's English dub was pretty fantastic IMO, particularly for its era.

One other thing I've discovered is that Rikku is Ryuku in Japanese. Definitely didn't expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Countblanc posted:

BDs ost pwns

Probably one of my top 3 game OSTs

I was really excited for BD2's after learning it would also be by Revo, but it ended up being kind of disappointing.