Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking to buy my first bike sometime this month. I'm currently looking at both the CBR250R and the Ninja 250. I went to a dealership today to take a look at both. The CBR felt much more comfortable and I liked the aesthetics much more as well. I have a few questions that the dealer didn't really answer for me though. First, I've heard that the CBR has vibration issues once you get into the 7k rpm range and that it has difficulty passing cars on the freeway. Has anyone had a similar experience? Also how important is getting ABS?

I ride a CBR250R.

Yeah, the CBR is pretty buzzy when you crank it out, but it's hardly crippling. I've done some decent distances at highway speeds (Sydney to Melbourne, etc) on mine, which can translate to hours at 8k revs if you're not too worried about the constablary. I needed to shake out some vibration induced cramps in my hands after a few hours, but it wasn't the end of the world. And for commuting or general riding, I think it's a non-issue.

Passing cars on the freeway is doable, but you'll have to wait for a decent straight and tuck behind the windscreen.

As for ABS, mine's got it, and it's kicked in maybe once or twice. But those times were in my first few weeks when I had zero experience and may or may not have dumped the bike if it wasn't there. It's a nice thing to have.

---

Since you're looking ... you're not Australian by any chance are you? I'm considering selling my CBR to help finance a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Z3n posted:

Shafts, sure. Chains? No, you can inspect the links, and you can see. A chain just failing "out of nowhere" is essentially a non-issue. The GSX-R that I built had a chain that was raced on, had ~10k of abuse after that with questionable lubing done, and it was quite obvious it had been abused (3 bound links), and it still didn't fail, and could probably be ridden on for another 5-10k before it would snap.

Let's not forget that it was also encrusted with road salt. I don't think we're giving my horrendous abuse of that wonderful bike full due here.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
So in March I'll be in the market for my fourth bike in 18 months. I'll finally be able to ride something with more than a seventh of the power of the gixxer z3n made for me in the States.

Clearly it's time to start obsessively scouring bike forums, pricing stuff up and going on test rides, etc. If I was just buying for me, I'd follow the CA hivemind and get a supermoto, but my mail-order gf will be around then and I need something we can go multi-day touring on and/or get into another financially lucrative accident with.

Other than being able to carry a pillion, attributes I'm also keen on:

Cheap(ish)
Decent suspension (or cheaply upgradable)
Fast enough to make me feel like a REAL MANG on trips out of Melbourne's speed camera hell
As user-maintainable as possible
Decent range would be nice

I'd prefer something without fairings, but I realise that I'm probably in sports tourer territory here, so that's kind of unlikely.

Thoughts so far:

VFR800 with over 50,000 km on the clock so the $$$ valve service is already done
Z750
F800S
90s sportsbike (YZF600R or such-like - litrebikes are probably out because they're an insurance nightmare here)

Alternatively:

(e: 2005/2006) Super Duke 990's are surprisingly affordable here and a bargain to insure because they don't look like a crotch rocket and are therefore COMPLETELY SANE.

Am I thinking in an appropriate direction, or are these all dumb choices?

I've ridden z3n's handlebarred Daytona and that would probably be ideal (pillion comfort aside) but Triumphs cost a FORTUNE here, so, uh, yeah.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 31, 2014

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Safety Dance posted:

It's this. I find that 80 gets really fatiguing after an hour or so. Relatively speaking, 70 is a cakewalk.

Meh. I did two weeks of 300-400 mile days on a naked bike last year at, uh, more than 80 and it weren't no big deal. Being able to lean my whole body into the wind was comparatively pleasant if anything. With perforated leathers, it wasn't so much wind in my hair* as wind over my whole bod. Saucy. On the other hand, I find the neck strain from the (half-faired) SV1K I have now pretty tiresome after a couple of hours of touring.

*Because helmet, duh.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Tanbo posted:

Bikes I've been looking at based on internet research: Ninja 650 (09+), SV650 (04+), maybe VFR800 though it's a bit out of my price range. Maybe a F4i, FZ6, or YZF600 though I'm not too sure I want an I4, with all the twisties around here I'd rarely get a chance to wind it out. Any other bikes I'm missing, or am I misinformed about any of the ones I'm looking at? I think one of them is carbed but I forget which.

Maybe you'd be better off just upgrading the lights on your current bike and riding that a while longer? It seems you're most keen to upgrade to a Ninja 650 or SV650, which will gain you what? 20 hp? Neither bike exactly offers top-tier suspension or jaw-dropping looks. Shopping around for those seems like more hassle than its worth.

An F4i, FZ6, or Thundercat would be bigger jumps, sure, but if you're after ABS, I'm guessing you have safety at least partially in mind? Doubling your horsepower after three months of riding doesn't really jive with that. Not that I don't understand where you're coming from - I wanted MOAR POWER than babby's first 250 pretty soon after I learned to wobble through my first turn. FWIW I went from a CBR250 to a gixxer 750 after a year and ~15,000 miles of riding and promptly wadded it, so blah blah blah words of caution, etc.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 3, 2014

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

The naked version is phenomenal to ride, apparently.

The F800S - the version of this with bikini fairings and clip-ons - is easily the comfiest sport-ish bike I've ever ridden, FWIW. Ergos are spot on for me (I'm 6'2). Something about the shape of the tank and where the bikini fairing stops makes it ridiculously easy to grip with the thighs and use core strength to hold body position and stay light on the handlebars. When I raved about this to the friend that let me borrow hers, she said that's a common sentiment among taller F800 owners. Surprised that those bikes get so little love, tbh.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

ADINSX posted:

My god thats terrible. Not for the hipster poo poo but because it looked and sounded like it was filmed in the 90s.

That's the first thing I thought. The video looks like it was shot on a cell phone and cut on windows movie maker. That's not going to fly with the vimeo crowd.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

http://mobile.craigslist.org/mcy/4755844937.html

Thoughts on this CBR250 with ABS? Looking for my first bike. Is 3k a good price for this?

I don't know about pricing for that bike in particular (I'm in Australia), but the CBR250 is probably the cheapest first bike you'll get with ABS. FWIW, I started out on that model and the brakes probably saved me from a spill or two -- as evidenced by my immediately dumping my first bike without ABS. (Your level of competence may vary).

You'll probably want to upgrade within a year, but it's not the worst idea to spend your first twelve months on something that's both relatively safe and cheap.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Yep in Ausland. Only considered the 126
5 as it's so cheap and would be on a bike sooner.

I know opinions are mixed on it, but is ABS something I really should be looking for for my first bike? There are tons of Non ABS bikes available used but little around with ABS that aren't much cheaper than buying new.

Aussie goon here.

1) Realistically, you're stuck with your LAMS bike for three years so stump for the 250/300; it's a big difference. You can have a lot of fun (mostly) within the speed limit on a 250 that you're winding all the way out (ie: using every last bit of power it makes). A 125 that makes half the power is a pretty unappealing proposition by comparison.

2) ABS probably saved me from a stack or two when I started riding. Maybe you're more co-ordinated than I was, but I personally think it's worth it.

Also, I flogged off the 250 (with ABS) which I stupidly bought new for about $1,500 less than I paid for it after a year of use. ie: It is possible to find deals.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 4, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Thanks for that, I'm kind of ok with being stuck with a lower powered LAMS bike as I am frankly terrified of coming off something bigger (whiskey throttle being my biggest fear). Also don't expect to go anywhere out of my town for the first while (outside of my town in every direction is 100km/hr highway)

Yeah dude, you can whiskey throttle any LAMS bike all you want and it's not going to have the effect you're worried about.

e: I'm curious where you live too. I'm guessing NSW given the age thing?

prukinski fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 4, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

I'd avoid the 4 cylinder CBR250's because they were THE FASTEST LEARNER BIKE YO before LAMS and are all completely hosed after 40-odd thousand km's thanks to a combination of learner riders and an extremely high-strung engine.

To be fair, those aren't without their appeal. If you're deadset on a 4-cyl 250cc that revs to 20,000 you can generally pick up a Kawasaki Balius / Suzuki GSX250FX for $2k or thereabouts. They're naked versions of Kawasaki and Suzuki's CBR250RR equivalents and tend not to have been abused as much / have lower k's. Parts availability isn't fantastic, but it ain't dreadful, and they're pretty fun bikes.

Where "fun" equals sitting on a bike as big as a clown tricycle that makes less than 10 horsepower unless you're well over 10,000 RPM.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Duke 690 question:

I'm in the market for something to replace my SV1K. I took a 2008 Duke 690 for a spin yesterday and I'm kind of ambivalent. Less power and more vibration I can get used, but the clutch seemed SUPER rattly and the gearbox was pretty average - I missed shifts to second a few times on a twenty minute test ride.

Is the clutch rattle and agricultural gearbox usual on these, or am I looking at a dud example?

FWIW, my SV had the same clutch rattle and it was fine - just a quirk of the bike - whereas a friend's SD990 made a similar noise just before it backed out a clutch bolt, which obviously wasn't ideal.

I also took a 2008 Shiver out for a spin and ... didn't mind it. Which makes me worry that I'm prematurely entering middle age.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Z3n posted:

The 690 engine requires dirtbike shifting - very aggressive, lot of force.

It's hard to say what is and isn't normal on clutch rattle - they're usually pretty grumbly, again, dirtbike engines.

I took it for another test ride and shifted with authority and all was well (plus, my mechanic gave it a once over and thumbs up) so now I own a 690. The first ride was in the rain, which must have soured the experience because second ride involved a lot more chortling and handing over money afterwards.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Lilbeefer posted:

Ausgoon here. Passed my learners yesterday and want to knw if i am a retard for wanting a 14 or 15 model Yamaha SR400. Are they actually good bikes? I am concerned about hipster tax but I love the styling and simplicity of them. Whatever I get needs to be LAMS approved.

I am test riding
this one tomorrow http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/OAG-AD-12098944/2014-Yamaha-SR400

Yeah, holy poo poo dude, over eight grand for that bike is insane. Go ahead and test ride it if you want, but at least try some other/cheaper/mechanically superior LAMS bikes out for context before you buy it. There's a few great looking CB400's floating around Melbourne for less than that - way less in some cases - and they're king poo poo of naked, retro learner bikes.

Alternatively, buy a VTR250 for three grand and add all the hipster farkles you want.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 16, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Lilbeefer posted:

Thanks for actual alternatives and not being an rear end in a top hat . Im totally new to this and still trying to figure it out. Yes its expensive, but so are all SR400s. I used to sell Land Rover Defenders and there is just something people liked about them despite how basic they are, I guess I have the same mentality. Ill check out some CB40s, anything else similar? Are GS500s worth checking out?

Yeah, GS500s are fine. Also consider CB250s or - comedy option - small, naked inline 4 screamers like the Kawasaki Balius. We're pretty much the only place outside of Japan that got those, and there's something hysterical about riding a 250cc bike that redlines at 18,000rpm.

Honestly, just sit on everything you can that fits broadly within your aesthetic sensibilities for a few weeks before buying. It's not like that's a screaming deal on an SR400, so you've got time to play the field a little.

You might also want to try out some bikes that *aren't* up your alley, looks wise, but are great to learn on. Other posters are gonna dogpile you with advice on Ninja 250s or DRZ400SMs in a second and it's worth at least considering that advice. Both of those are ace starter bikes. Plus, Ninjas go for under $3k all day long.

Out of interest, how long are you gonna be on a restricted license for anyway? If you've had your car license long enough / you're old enough to only be on Ps for a year, I'd suggest buying any old shitbox for now and saving your pennies for a fancier poser bike later. The options for cafe racer style bikes open up a lot above 650ccs, and besides, who knows if you'll even like riding after the first few months or want to stick with hipster style bieks in the future.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 16, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

FWIW all the I4 250's are absolutely terrible bikes to learn on because they're so cantankerous and cunty to ride for a beginner.

Just do as the man says and get a shitbox. Looking like a cool dude comes later when you've learned not to fall over in slow motion in front of a crowd of people.

Truth, but lil i4s are an *experience.*

If you're dead-set on a retro bike RIGHT NOW, also consider a TU250. Same ballpark, looks- and simplicity- wise as an SR400, but much cheaper.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 16, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

How was the test ride? What did you like about it and what felt like it could be better?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Collateral Damage posted:

It's a retro styled bike marketed to "young urbanites" i.e. hipsters with too much money.

Also worth noting - the less you spend on your first, soon-to-be-crashed babby bike (also been there done that) the more you'll have left over for fancy schmacy Italian leathers that'll last for much more of your riding career. ie: don't forget to budget for gear and bear in mind that flattering armor is expensiiiiive.

(Except for good leather jackets which go cheap on gumtree all day long as dudes hitting middle age get too fat for them).

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Lilbeefer posted:

That is brilliant.

Is there any reason people are recommending me the CB400 but not the 500? There are a couple or reasonably priced ones floating around....

Barnsy recommended looking at a CB500. They're perfectly serviceable, take one for a spin.

I suggested the CB400 because it's a cheap, good looking retro styled bike that's moar better at pretty much everything than the SR400. The engine is also pretty fun for a LAMS bike in that it's a moderately revvy inline four. Pretty much every other LAMS biek is a thumper or a parallel twin, which are less fun to wring out.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 17, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Lilbeefer posted:

Picking up my Duke in 2 hours. Looking forward to the inevitable stall from the shop.

As a current custodian of a medium Duke and a ye olde Super Duke, I say excellent choice. Orange bieks all round!

(Familyportrait.jpeg)

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Voltage posted:

I was a bit weary about looking at an aprilia or mv agusta - is the tuono really going to stand up to daily commuting without exploding and impossible to source parts?

I had a SD990 for about 6 months. All honesty, while my Super Duke experience was passably reliable* I hated commuting on that bike. It's snatchy at low rpms and putting miles on it feels like a giant waste unless you're diming it out.

When you are giving it the beans though? :kheldragar: 10/10 would ride again. Aside from the Tuono, I doubt any of the bikes on your list is as much of a hoot.

*No issues except for this doozy - if you buy one pop open the clutch cover and torque all the clutch spring bolts to spec. They weren't tightened properly on a bunch of SD's and have a tendency to back out and disintegrate. Ask me how I know!

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 29, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Shimrod posted:

Oh, that hi-vis vest is actually a thing? I was hoping it wasn't. If I plan on riding down there do I need to get one? Heading to PI this year.

I think the vest is only for L platers unless Victoria has a new fun-sapping scheme in the works.

Also lol at riding down for PI. You'll see cops crawling every inch of twisty road from the NSW border down handing out fines for things like accelerating to 80 a few metres ahead of an 80 zone. Ask me how I know!

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Kommando posted:

Moving interstate in Australia, I have a 98 Kawasaki ER5, it'll cost about $700 to freight it there and im thinking its better to sell it and buy another.

I'm moving to Canberra so its not going to need the highway legs unless I ride to sydney.

Has anyone had any experience or anything to say about Braaap bikes?

There's some great fast, sweeping roads in the hills around Canberra and a strong second hand market for bikes that have scared their public servant owners and are subsequently on the market crazy cheap, so I say you can do way better than a Braaap.

e: Yeah, sell and buy locally. No shortage of good deals around the ACT.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Z3n posted:

Sounds like you haven't really decided what you want out of your next bike yet - the ZX12 fills a pretty different role from the rest of those bikes.

I'd probably recommend you shoot for as many test rides on as many things as you can before buying cause it seems like you're still in the phase of "this seems cool I'll buy it". If you can swing it, buying cheap bikes and reselling them later can be a decent way to get long test rides but it's not a move for everyone.

The (much) lower rider population here makes buying cheap and on-selling a dicier proposition than in the Bay Area. I'd only do it on a crazy bargain.

That said, people that are trying to shift bikes in a meh market are usually pretty happy to let you test ride in my experience, and there's a cheapish SD990 near Adelaide that looks reasonably well sorted . You should look at that and take it for a spin.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aldinga-beach/motorcycles/ktm-superduke-990/1107987795

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 18, 2016

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

TheFonz posted:

The Tuono pillion seat is literally only useful for riding up to an underage college party and taking home whatever female or small male is interested in exploring your Italian tinkerers hands with you while listening to lovely industrial music.

Edit: The bike itself is great! Industrial Music and all.

Edit 2: Also, you need to have a roommate with an SV650 to bring them back to their car in the morning because they will have no interest in getting on the Tuono 2up while sober and in daylight.

First gen tuono pillion seat is quite decent.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Coydog posted:

I'd like to add to this and say that the 690 sucked for traffic and lane splitting. Newer ones probably have smoother throttles, but it's just a fat bike that isn't nimble that isn't fun in that area.

All those speed cameras won't be your friend either. The 690 platform lives to be flogged like a hooligan and doesn't really fall into place for the day to day.

Thirding. I had a 690 as an only bike and sold it because commuting on it was such a pain, regardless of how fun it was to flog on weekends. It's a bike that only makes sense as a toy.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

RVT posted:

Yeah, I really like the look of a fully faired bike. What makes the Honda's mentioned miserable compared to the SV650? Appreciate the feedback on my riding experience, but not really sure why it was delivered with this tone. What number of miles is appropriate before starting to look for a second bike?

Man, this takes me back. I put 15,000 miles on my cbr250 in my first year of riding, but the whole time I thought about much I wanted a faster-looking bike. Within a week of making my dream come true and getting a GSXR-750 I'd pranged it because I knew jack-poo poo about riding.

Also, I've owned plenty of fast bikes since and the only people that have appreciated how much I look like an extra from Cool As Ice are other bike dweebs. No one cares, sad to say.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 13, 2019

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Steakandchips posted:

While I'm leaning towards the CB650R rather than the SV650, I am looking for insight into which is more relaxed to sit in, I.e. less bent over. I'd prefer a more upright position.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the CB650R's optional quick shifter? Very tempted by that, one of the reasons I'm thinking of going with the CB650R rather than the SV650 (and that I think it looks a bit nicer).

As Slavvy said, a quickshifter on a low power bike is wholly for looks. That said, I assume you're tending towards the 650R because you prefer how it looks? (There's really no other reason to choose it over the SV). That's fine and everything but ride both and keep what we've been saying about the SV in mind - think about weight, engine responsiveness, suspension, etc. Try to go for more than just a spin around the block.

Also, while you may be happy paying someone else to do all your servicing now, there's a fair chance that you'll eventually come around to the pleasure of wrenching on your own bikes. SV's are dead easy to work on and extremely well documented online, so there's less of a barrier to entry if you want to do some tinkering.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Oil change on a duke 690:

Remove muffler, remove catalytic converter/baffle thing shaped like a bathtub underneath the engine
Remove sump plug, 2x cartridge oil filters, 2x mesh screen sump plugs
Fit new filters, clean the screens, button everything up, refit the exhaust
Fill with $60/L motorex unicorn-extract
Never reach the next oil change interval because something is guaranteed to break or the engine simply uses up all the oil

Ehhh, on mine I just left the muffler in place and got used to the near-constant smell of burning oil given the change intervals. Not the most confidence inspiring smell, perhaps, but you'll be RELIEVED to know that when the engine blew it was for a completely different reason. (Roller rocker disintegration and needle bearings everywhere whoop whoop ready to race).

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Steakandchips posted:

I already did. He says the "stay local" thing means that the "5 miles" to him is totally fine. It's not. He's agreed that I'll come see it on the 26th or after.

Gawd, I remember what that wait was like here in Melbourne, Australia.

Our similarly restrictive lockdown kept getting extended over and over - in the last couple of months I kept prepping my Tuono for a proper hoon in anticipation of going more than 5km from my house. Fluids, various 15 year old wear items, tyres, blah blah blah. Each time it was good to go and the release date rolled around, we'd be told, nup, stay in your homes for another month, plebs.

The first proper spin after that was magic, though. My brain had totally forgotten what the acceleration on even a relatively tame literbike feels feel. Hope it's the same for you (the feeling of absurd speed that only a used FJR can offer, not the ever changing goalposts).

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 9, 2021

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Loud pipes do not save lives, that is one of the many coping strategies employed by people who suck at riding.

I agree with this in principle, but my flatmate has a tiny electric motorcycle and *yanks tie* I tells ya I get no respect on that thing. Dickheads merging into me all day long.

Luckily it's so absurdly small and manoeuvrable that it's a lot easier / fun to ride around them in city traffic than it would be on my MTS (which drivers in traffic jams objectively do give more space to because it's moar bigger and moar louder).

The experience of riding the little electric thing fast is an absolute blast, though. Because I can't hear it rev, whatever speed it can muster feels effortless (even through it's giving it everything it's got to get up to 80km/hr).

prukinski fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 17, 2023

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

spouse posted:

What up goons, long time, no post (in CA anyway)

I started riding 2017 or so, got advice here and ended up on a Ninja 500. I loved it, and it was an excellent first bike, except for one issue:

I'm 6'4". That bike is small on me. I don't want an adventure bike or a cruiser, I want a sport tourer that I can still ride around town without feeling huge. I strapped various bags all over that little ninja and took it on multiple 12 hour rides and loved it, but it is... slow, and my back hurts.

So, I was looking new, and a Ninja 1000/Suzuki SX1000gt looked right up my alley, but I get a quote on insurance and lol, I'm not paying $1800/yr for insurance on a bike. Also, to be honest, it's probably more bike than I really want power-wise. I'm not a reckless rider by any means, but there's always that urge on fast bikes I've ridden (CBR1000RR, FJR 1300) to let loose in a way that you really can't on lesser machines, and I hate long gearing that means I can't even bang off the limiter in first without going to jail.

So here's the question. Well used VFR 800's cost as much as new middleweights, but on paper, they feel like they'd be perfect for me. Is it worth it, goons? If I want a "sportbike" with a top case and saddlebags I can take long distance, more power than the 650/700 middleweight class but less than a supersport?

I wanted a VFR when I started as a new rider and a goon here told me I'd be an idiot, develop bad habits, and that I'd crash it. They were probably right, but now I've got a few years of experience under my belt annnnd I still want one. It's just hard to swallow $8k for a well kept 5-15 year old bike when I could get into any number of new bikes for only a little more.

Last question: 6th gen or 5th gen?

I would also consider a first generation multistrada. They're ugly as hell, so they go cheap, but very fun and comfortable for something that's designed to carry a top box and luggage, and they feel very small for what they are. Insurance should be cheap, too. I'm currently riding an 1100S and loving it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Those things are getting pretty long in the tooth now though, an old Ducati is a much bigger commitment than a v4 Honda

Yeah, but working on them is a doddle compared to faffing with the valves on a VFR and spouse is asking about 5th/6th gens. Aren't they like circa 2000?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

spouse posted:

I've rebuilt engines in cars, so I'm comfy with a wrench, but yeah, the biggest thing keeping me from a Ducati is the reputation for reliability. I'll see if I can't take a look in person at one, but I love the reliability of my Ninja and I already work on two temperamental cars so I'm hesitant to get into another abusive relationship.

I found the learning curve on mine reasonably steep in so far as ducati has some quirks, for sure, but the actual upkeep now that I’m used to it is easier than any of my previous bikes. (To be fair I’ve also owned a couple of Aprilias and a KTM). The biggest issues I’ve had are dealing with the previous owners’ “upgrades” - they do seem pretty sensitive to setup mistakes. Anyway the main reason I suggested it is that it’s the funnest “slow” bike I’ve ever ridden, and the smallest/nimblest feeing touring platform. That said I’ve never ridden a VFR and people do rave about them…

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Oh yikes, once you see that pointy frame you really can't unsee it. Even if it's structurally fine its so visually flimsy.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Captain McAllister posted:

F800/F850 GS/GSA?

They're light, tons of used ones out there, usually kitted out with all kinds of stuff, especially luggage options.

Never ridden the GS / GSA's but the S/ST is pretty fun.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Nitrox posted:

I don't have any off-road pretensions, and would like to have actual windscreen, fairing, low end torque and rider comfort amenities. They're good bikers tho, just not fair what I need

The S and S/T models tick all of those boxes without the off-road pretensions and you can pick them up cheap. Worth a look.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Does anyone have any thoughts on the streetfighter 848? I love my MTS1100 but I’m not sure how I feel about early commitment to the dadbike aesthetic and I just got a significant enough raise to go up a price tier in old used bikes (woah woah hold your horses that doesn’t mean I can afford anything post 2015).

Specifically interested in ease of maintenance (compared to 2v ducatis and the MTS’s tank removal rigmarole) and if it offers anything unique in a street riding experience? I’m a fairly competent rider, but I also only have the cash for one vehicle at a time so it’d be only way of getting around.

A major part of my decision rubric here is a *sense of occassion* when walking towards my bike, and knowing that I’m making a sub-optimal decision in the interest of *feeling alive* - but I do have my limits, so if an SF848 is underwhelming or a TOTAL pita, that’s good data.

I’m not considering a super duke or v4 Tuono, before you suggest either of those as alternatives.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 30, 2023

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

I would not have a Ducati anything, regardless of age or model, as my only vehicle unless I also have very good public transport options for getting to work

Oh yeah, I’m within walking distance of three train lines, and I can bicycle to the rest of the city, so I really shoulda said my only form of motorised transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Invalido posted:

A DRZ with a reasonable asking price just popped up locally, and I think I might go for it unless someone gets there first. According to the very sparsely worded ad it's a 2004 with 15,000 km on it and new tkc 70 tires. Is there anything special I should look at other than obvious stuff before buying, given that the title is clean (don't know the reg number yet so this is undetermined atm) and the seller isn't super sketchy? I've never ridden a DRZ but when I sat on one it seemed to fit my 183cm body pretty well, the bars were wide and the seat was pretty uncomfortable and that's all I know about these bikes other than it's considered a good light dual sport.

That's the first time I've seen "the seat was pretty comfortable" and "DRZ" in the same paragraph. If it's been sitting for a while there's a good chance you'll be taking apart the carb.

If it bogs at idle, it's worth noting that rebuild kits for DRZ carbs sometimes (always?) only include replacement fuel jet hardware but the pilot air jet can get clogged pretty easily and if you're just going through the items that come in a rebuild kit it's easy to miss.