Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vomax posted:

Country/Provider: US(Washington DC)/AT&T

Contract Status: Still on dad's family plan, looking to get my own plan

Budget: Not really a concern

Features I know I want: Android, speed, battery life

Currently I have a Motorola Atrix that's probably 3 years old now and it's becoming increasingly unusable (won't unlock, freezes up, takes literally 10 minutes to restart, reboots on its own). I'm on a "family" plan that now only consists of me and my dad, as everyone else has already gotten their own. So while I'm currently on AT&T, I don't need to stick with them but I (obviously) want to keep my number. I DO want to stick with Android, because that's what I have now and I'd rather not switch to Apple or Windows Phone at this point.

I have no idea what my data usage is like, but I browse the forums and facebook a fair amount while I'm out. It seems like I could get a pretty generous data allowance for $100 a month, which is fine.

I am not a smartphone power user; I mostly use it for browsing and solving crosswords while I'm on the toilet at work. Really I just want a phone that's not covered in apps I'll never use that will drain my battery, has a decent camera (doesn't need to be bleeding edge; I'm sure everything today is better than my current one) and will hold a charge so I don't have to leave it plugged in all the time. I don't really want to pay a lot more for an unlocked phone since I doubt I'd notice or care about the difference, so if I can get a discount on a nicer phone by locking myself into a carrier that's fine.

If you're staying on contract I'd say just get a Galaxy S5 and call it a day. Alternatively, I think the G2 can be had for free on contract now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Malkof posted:

Country/Provider:US AT&T

Current contract status: up renewal/unlimited data grandfathered

Budget (phone/plan): 200ish?

Features I know I want:
I currently have a S4 and it's taken a beating. I mainly use it for texting, Netflix for the kids, and occasionally taking pictures. I'm basically wondering which galaxy I should get. The 4 year old can be rough with it so I'm leaning towards waiting for the new Active. Is it worth waiting for or should I get a S6 or edge and just case the poo poo out of it?

The S6 Active should have ridiculously good battery life, if you're looking for a rugged phone on AT&T it doesn't get any better.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Shine posted:

Country/Provider: :911:/Verizon

Current contract status: Expired like 5 years ago.

Budget (phone/plan): Grandfathered unlimited data plan.
Budget is whatever; I expect to pay hundreds since I'm not using a new contract (unless it's no longer suggested that people with old unlimited plans still hold onto them)

Features I know I want: Android, large screen, durable, battery life

I have a 2011 Galaxy Nexus that is now slow as poo poo and drains the battery faster than it can charge (even with a brand new battery). I don't care about my phone being small or sleek and I want something that has an above-average battery. The S6 Active looks perfect, but it doesn't appear to be available for Verizon. Is there anything out there like it for Verizon? I don't mind if it's a model from a year or so back.

The Droid Turbo and the Galaxy Note 4 are the top choices in the Android, large screen, and durable battery life on Verizon category. Can't go wrong with either one, the Turbo is a little more compact and the Note has one of the best cameras on a phone. Go play with both at a store and take your pick.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RVProfootballer posted:

Is the G4 out on Verizon? I'd take it over either the Note or Turbo personally.

The G4 is another good choice, I simply listed the two phones with the best battery life on Verizon.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Gammon posted:

From looking at this stuff recently myself, the Moto X from 2013 is pretty much as close as you'll get to that. The only phone that's a) ~4.7" and b) has really good battery life is the Sony Z3 Compact (maybe z1 compact too), but it's not vanilla Android. AFAIK, outside of Nexus, Motorola is the only other vanilla android option...but Sony does have the best battery life. Oh, and a pretty huge range of LTE bands. You get one or the other it seems.

Motorola is not "vanilla Android" only the Nexus phones are.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Dominoes posted:

Thanks dude. I agree on waiting; probably not going to buy anything until Sept; testing the waters now so I have a good idea when it's time. At a glance, something like the Z3 compact looks like what I'm after. Something like it didn't exist two years ago. Good sign.

Love your username btw.

The latest and greatest non Apple coming around September are the new Moto X and the Note 5. If the rumored specs on the Moto X turn out to be real then that's your best bet.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I think the 2014 Moto X would be a solid choice in that price range.

Quite possibly the best choice.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I forgot some details:

Needs to have a decent battery life. I do a lot of cycling and use my phone for music and to check maps of where I am. Also the camera has to be at least on par with the iphone 5 since I take a lot of photos while out cycling.

Going to do some research on this.

For that price range, Moto X 2014 really is your best bet. Neither the battery nor the camera are great, but given your budget it's still the top choice.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pumpy Dumper posted:

What if my budget goes up to $400?

In that range you might be able to find an LG G3, that phone would easily meet your battery and camera requirements. Or an Xperia Z3/c, I'm not sure if they have a model that has all of T-Mobile's LTE bands though, someone more knowledgeable on that should be able to help though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mehall posted:

What phone should I get?

Cost is not a concern, I'll be getting it on contract with a hefty discount.

I'm an Android user, so the IPhone is out.
I'm on the Note 3 just now, but since I got the Galaxy Tab S, I don't feel like I need a phone quite this big anymore, and I don't use the S pen half as much as I used to.

My main considerations are the S6 Edge, the LG G4, or I could hold off till the Note 5 later in the year.

I don't watch much media, and rarely play games, but I use social media a lot, including accessing this forum.

Of those three I'd recommend waiting for the Note 5. The G4 is pretty good but it's lacking quick charge and a fingerprint reader, which is about to become a big native component of Android in a few months. The Note 5 is rumored to have a beastly 4100 mAh battery as well as quick charge and wireless charging, which would make it one of, if not the, most future proof Android device this year.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Dominoes posted:

Is there a way to reformat modern phones to make them stock android?

There are roms , but it's very rare for them to work as well as the OEM firmware.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WeaselWeaz posted:

Trying to decide between a LG G4 ($549) and HTC One M9 ($599), both at full price.

Country/Provider: US / Verizon

Features I know I want: Good camera. Timely OS updates. Get through a day of music playing and 3-4 hours internet/video use. I'm clumsy so durability is nice, more of an issue with G4 due to size.

Between those two, I'd go G4 for sure.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

When are the next big releases dropping? Like the Nexus 5 2015 and such.
I was thinking of getting a replacement phone for my bricked motoG while waiting for the next big thing, so I was considering getting the Alcatel Idol 3 4.7'' version for around 120 euros. Any other good budget phones out there right now?

Next Moto and Note should be out in a couple of months, followed by the new Nexus in early November most likely.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but long story short my Nexus 5 is a little over a year and a half old, I dropped it and it started doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fptKrtK9IgY

I called Google, they sent me to LG, and they basically said it's not under warranty any more, but I could still send it to them for repair. It would take 5-7 business days and the representative could not tell me anything about how much the repairs might cost me, and said that I'd just get billed once they actually have my phone and know what needs to be fixed.

The phone still works right now, and restarting a few times has fixed the screen issue temporarily each time it's happened so far, but if it gets worse in the future restarting might not fix the issue. So one of the things I'm considering is just getting a new phone instead of sending the phone off for repair. I'm on T-Mobile and my current phone is unlocked and not on a contract, and I'd like to keep things that way. Would you recommend going through with the repair or trying to replace the phone? And if it'd be worth it to just get a new phone, what are the best options?

Get a new phone, save yourself the time and money.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

electricHyena posted:

In the US. Need a recommendation for my family. 3 people, currently on an AT&T family plan that has 1400 minutes with rollover, unlimited text, and 3GB data. They also have insurance on all 3 phones. Their total bill is $200 a month. They really need to stay here if not lower.

They all have iphone 4's (not S) and have been out of contract. They REALLY need to upgrade - at least to an iphone 5 if not a 6.

They have never gone over 3GB data. My aunt's big thing is "coverage" and "enough room for my pictures."

Recommendations?

The iPhone 6 should come down in price in a few weeks when the new ones come around. Seems like the best choice to me.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CaladSigilon posted:

Hi everyone. Looking for a little bit of guidance, since I have been trapped in the "ooh, but _______ is coming out in /just/ one more month" cycle for a while now.

Country/Provider: US / T-Mobile
Current contract status: Their no-contract post-paid delio
Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to spend less than $500, if possible, but I'm somewhat flexible.
Features I know I want:
* Vanilla Android that's actually getting OTA to Marshmallow and beyond
* Not shittastic battery life
* Fast charging
* Acceptable performance
* Acceptable screen
* Suitable for tiny little fag whose hands can barely fit around the Nexus 4 :shobon:

Bonus points if it's rootable.

I think your best bet is to cross your fingers and hope the new Nexus has all those features at that price.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

My iPhone 4 just died after 5 caseless, hardtrod years. I have no idea what to expect from a phone in this market, and am fully willing to change my $25 AT&T gophone plan to something actually worth a drat.

-Speed is a plus
-I like nice cameras and recording features
-Don't give a poo poo if it's Android or Apple
-Budget $250ish please help (I could be convinced to spend more)

For $260ish you're unlikely to find anything with a nice camera unless you buy on contract or finance, if you go that route then pick whichever one you like best between the latest iPhone and Galaxy models. If you're buying outright there's the 16gb Moto G around $220 or for roughly $150 more the Moto X. Their cameras are nothing spectacular but otherwise very good bang for the buck.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FeralWraith posted:

Country/Provider: United States/T-Mobile

Current contract status: It's the 1 year prepaid plan, so it's not really a contract.

Budget (phone/plan): I can afford to whale out on this one, no particular preference. But less money spent is always nice. <$800 if I really need to just make up a number.

Features I know I want: My main intention is to surf the Internet and play mobile games while out and about. I'm currently using an Android phone, but I'm willing to go iOS if it serves my needs better. I do not want to be on contract, and I absolutely want an unlocked phone. I'd preferably like something with 2 Gb of RAM or better, removable battery and the ability to use external memory. I'd like something with a long battery life if I can get it. A decent camera is a plus, but not a deal-breaker. I currently live in Idaho (yes, we're still on fire), so I would like to go with a carrier that offers at least decent coverage (T-Mobile's is pretty much nil if I travel outside of my city). I don't camp or go out in the boonies at all, just need coverage while I travel along the freeways.

I'm a bit of a cell phone virgin, as my current one (an old Galaxy Nexus) was a hand-me-down that I just slapped my SIM card into, so I'm still trying to pick up on all the fine details that goes into smartphones.

With that kind of budget you can afford to go top of the line (iPhone 6S, 6S or Galaxy S6, Note 5 for Android) neither one supports expandable storage though.

If you want expandable storage the LG G4 and the new Moto X are both solid choices.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Santheb posted:

So I think my HTC One M7 finally ate it yesterday. It died and won't even begin to charge, no matter what outlet and charger I use. It's been a good phone but I think its time is up.

I talked to a Verizon rep last night and I've got three upgrades available on the account so I guess their whole lineup is available to me. I've been thinking about making the switch over to an iPhone for a while, having been on Android for so long though has me confused though. My original plan was to hold out until the S7/iPhone 7 or even the M10 comes out but that no longer seems to be an option, so now I guess I'm pretty stuck between the 6S and the S6.

I don't root my phone, I don't download a ton of apps, I don't take lots of pictures or video. Mainly what I use it for is web browsing, looking at Facebook, maybe every now and then a game or something, but that's rare. Call, text, web browsing, social media. If I'm making a trip, I'll use maps as well. I'll watch YouTube and stream music at work from time to time as well.

For how I use the device, is there a big difference in which one I select? I kinda want to try becoming an iPerson, but I'm unsure. A friend of mine got the S6 last night and it seems pretty wicked, but like the iPhone, this would be my first Samsung device too.

If you can handle the size I'd recommend the Note 5 and the + over the smaller Samsung and iPhone variants. Other than that can't really go wrong with either choice.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bakalakadaka posted:

I've got a Samsung galaxy s4 on Verizon that's up for an upgrade. I like the s4 but I cracked the screen a couple months ago. Should I just get an S6 or should I poke at some other phones at the store and see if I like something else more? I don't really have a strict budget.

Unless you're intimidated by their size I'd say the Galaxy Note 5 and the Nexus 6p are the best Android phones available when budget isn't a concern.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Any thoughts on the LG Tribute 2? I decided to stay with my cheap Virgin Mobile plan ($37.85 per month with unlimited everything), and was thinking about getting the Moto G for $150.

But I see Best Buy is putting the LG Tribute 2 on sale for $20 on Black Friday, which is hard to resist. Most of their stats and features are similar, but I'll be thrilled to save the money. I just need to last another week and a half, and my current LG phone will have lasted four years exactly.

This isn't a huge mistake, is it?

The Moto G is most definitely the better phone of the two, although I'm not sure it's 7.5 times the price better. For $20, it's a risk you can afford to take.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

blackmage posted:

I need to upgrade from my 2 half-broken phones, so I'm looking for hardware recommendations.

I'm with Rogers in Canada. I'm currently on an old retention plan that I don't want to change. As a result, I have to buy my phone outright.

I've mostly narrowed it down to the S6 or the Nexus 6. I've heard there are new Nexus devices out/coming soon, like a new 6, or a new 5 with the power of the 6 in 5" form factor. Is there anything worth waiting for? I have an S4, and a S1 before that which I was happy with. I'd just go for the S6, but there are some pros to the Nexus that are giving me pause. Price isn't a big deal, I just want to make sure I get something that I'm happy with.

Also, if there's a good place to buy phones outright, that would be helpful too. Thanks!

The new Nexus phones just came out recently, the 5x and the 6p. The 6P and the Galaxy Note 5 are in my opinion the absolute best of the best in Android right now, but they're pretty big so keep that in mind. Definitely recommend going to the store and playing with a Note 5 to see if the size is not a problem for you as they're both almost the same size.

I'd recommend the Note or the 6p. The Note has wireless charging while the 6p has front facing speakers. But if those two are too big then I'd recommend the S6 over the 5x when price is not an issue.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 19, 2015

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Akarshi posted:

Budget: Preferably under $700.

Carrier: AT&T

Hey all! I'm thinking of switching from iPhone to Android. Currently I have an iPhone 5S, and my carrier is AT&T. The problem is that my home button is broken (as in sometimes I press it and it doesn't work, other times it does, but most of the time no), so I'll need to switch soon. I've had my eye on the customizability of the Android for a while, and now that my iPhone is on the verge of death I figure it's time.

I hear people really like the Galaxy S7, but would it be a good first Android to start off with? The price is intimidatingly high. Would it be worth it to get an older phone instead, like the LG G4 or the Nexus 5X? Or are they so degraded that it's better to get one of the new phones?

I'd recommend going somewhere like a Beat Buy and playing with a Galaxy S7/Edge and a Nexus 6P,they represent the top of the line in Android right now. The S7 is bleeding edge, while the 6P is more reasonably priced.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

NovaLion posted:

I'm looking for primarily a new phone, possibly a new plan. I spend a ton of time traveling, hiking, camping, etc. andAnd the galaxy s6 isn't cutting it. I saw this but it seems a tad out of date.

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Edge 10gb data, no contract.

Budget (phone/plan): After the phone, <$100/month for unlimited text/talk/10gb data. I'm willing to consider extra for unlimited data.

Features I know I want: *Removable battery
*Expandable memory/sd slots
*Availble, durable case (bonus points for a waterproof one)

Sounds like you want an LG G5.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

nerd_of_prey posted:

Just coming to the end of the worst phone contract I ever had. It was 24 months, overpriced and for an iPhone 5c which I hated because the screen kept breaking and ended up using my old Samsung s4 instead for half of this time.

I am looking to reduce my costs as I am paying far too much for what I need and am not sure whether to buy a new phone SIM Free ( for around £300) and get a call plan separately (for around £12per month) or get a contract for around 25 pounds a month which includes a hand set. So I am looking at both routes. I am not a heavy user and can get away with 1gb per month data so I don't need a pricey plan.

From research I think either the Sony xperia z5 compact or Samsung s6 could work for me. I do prefer smaller phones (which is why I bought the stupid 5c last time) but there are some excellent contract deals for the s6 and on contract the s6 is cheaper but to buy outright the Sony is cheaper... Camera is important to me and the reviews rave about the s6 camera but I worry about the battery life. How much of an issue is the battery on the s6? Also I have been told the s6 has not got the newest version of android, I s this true???

The Z5 seems like it'll suit your needs better, both phones are on the latest version of Android though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand this part, though. What does this mean exactly?

Looking at a few more websites, it sounds like we're in the middle of a generation and the set of next gen phones is going to release in something like September? Which is 3 months away. So is it perhaps a better idea for me to wait? Or am I wrong here?

The entire screen flashes bright white when using the front facing camera to simulate a flash.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

Just upgraded from a Droid Turbo to an S7 Edge. I didn't do a tremendous amount of research, but I saw that the Droid Turbo 2 (which was what I had planned to get) didn't get that great of reviews and that the s7/s7 Edge was mentioned in several places as being the phone to get at the moment.

Just looking for confirmation that I made a solid choice?

That is the "money is no object" Android phone to get.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sincx posted:

I want a new phone to replace my Note 3, which has served me faithfully for the last three years, but its Snapdragon 800 SOC is showing its age.

The rumors for the upcoming Note 7 doesn't look promising. I do not like the curved edges, and the lack of a removable battery is a deal killer.

But no other phone I've seen has a pressure-sensitive stylus, which I've found to be extremely useful.

Any ideas?

Country/Provider: USA/StraightTalk (ATT MVNO)

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): $700

Features I know I want:
* Large screen (6" or very close to it)
* Stylus w pressure sensitive digitizer
* Removable battery
* MicroSD slot

Sounds like the Note 7 has everything you want except the removable battery. Unfortunately removable batteries are going the way of the hardware keyboard. You will not find a phone as good as the Note 7 with a removable battery, much less a comparable stylus.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Subways Jared posted:

I would like to buy a unlocked galaxy 7 note. I would also like to use t mobile as my carrier so that I can be on a monthly plan. I want my galaxy 7 note to be unlocked, not whatever locked version t mobile would sell me.

That being said, where can I purchase a stock, unlocked, note 7 from? I hope this makes sense and is the right thread. I'm new to the whole smartphone game.

If it's anything like the S7 launch, expect the carriers to have a brief window of exclusivity before the unlocked version launches. Although, the S7 was the first time unlocked Galaxies were sold in the US so they might launch it sooner this time around.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The S7 is significantly better in every single way.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

GET MY BELT SON posted:

thanks for your quick response

final question

does the home screen auto rotate like mine used to do before a patch some years ago?

Not unless you use a custom launcher last time I heard. You should still get a Pixel if you're looking for a top of the line Android phone though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The Galaxy S8+ is likely to cost the GDP of a small country, so you're most likely going to end up getting a Pixel XL anyways. Given the wait times on the Google store though, the Galaxy might be out by the time your Pixel ships.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

I'm a goober that's only ever had the one smart phone and has never messed around with it software-wise. Does no software support mean that I'd be stuck having to root the phone or some poo poo if I wanted to keep Android up to date? What does it really mean for me to fall behind in Android versions? Right now the phone is mostly used as a Tumblr and Hangouts machine with sporadic forays into Pokemon Go and Puzzle and Dragons. I'm not a power user; I just suck up so much data because I take public transportation and my workplace doesn't have wifi.

And bah, it looks like for T-Mobile unlocked S7's don't have wifi calling. I'm not completely against a locked device, that's what I had with Republic Wireless. It makes me antsy, though, despite the fact that I rarely change my mind and I could easily eat the cost of replacing my phone if it came down to it.

Other than Google's own, Samsung flagships are the best supported Android phones. My 3 year old Note 4 has been getting timely security updates every month, a quick glance through the Android thread shows much newer phones from other OEMs running security patches that are 8 months old.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Hammerstein posted:

I'm eyeing the Samsung S8, but a techie freak at my office warned me against buying a Samsung phone because of their supposedly lovely Android update policy.

Is there any truth to that ? I could really use some help here before I decide to order one.

That used to be the case, but they're the only OEM other than Google that's kept their promise after joining the "Android Update Alliance" or whatever it was that Google named it. Like I said a page or two ago, outside of Google themselves, they're the best supported Android flagships.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

wookieepelt posted:

I'm on AT&T in the US. I'm looking for a phone that is large and pretty decent for performance. I'd like waterproofing of some sort. Wireless charging would be nice because I have three Qi pads. Honestly, the Note 7 was almost perfect, but, well, you know.

Anything like that? I'm looking for $400 off contract, but I could always do AT&T next, so price isn't that much of a concern even though I know I pay more over time.

The S8+ has every single thing you mentioned except for the price, but for $400 you won't find any phone that fits that bill.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Aranan posted:

2) My wish list for a phone is performance primarily. I want to be able to launch apps quickly, play Hearthstone (or other games) without a ton of delay, have podcasts and GPS running at the same time, etc. I'm also hoping for minimal bloatware.

This paragraph tells me you're looking for an iPhone, but you're pretty much correct, the Pixel, S8, and iPhone are your three choices. None of these are really wrong, I'd recommend getting your hands on them at the store to see which you like best as there's no clear cut better phone between the three unless you're already a diehard Android/iPhone or Galaxy/Pixel guy.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Volcott posted:

Anyone know where I could find a list of "things the samsung galaxy s8 can do that the s7 can't?" I have both as upgrade options, and I'm trying to decide if the s8 is worth several hundred dollars more.

The S8 has Bluetooth 5.0 if that's something you think might be useful to you.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My old phone is dying, so I probably need to bite the bullet and change device:

Country/Provider: UK, 3

Current contract status: SIM only, one month rolling.

Budget (phone/plan): £300-350, but really the cheaper the better. No contract.

Features I know I want: I look at a lot of comics, illustrations, etc, so screen quality is my absolute priority - decent size, resolution, colour range, etc. No real priority for anything else.

I can get a refurbed Nexus 6P in that price range, but any better or cheaper suggestions would be welcome!

The Nexus 6P is currently the subject of a class action lawsuit so I recommend you steer clear.

If the Galaxy S8 or the Pixel are not in your budget, then my money would be on the Moto G5 Plus, which a cursory Google tells me goes for around £179.00.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mehall posted:

Im thinking about a new phone.
Going to buy outright, or maybe on finance, as I get a large discount on a sim only contract.

Previous handset - Galaxy Note 3. Brilliant OLED screen, fast phone. Bit big for my hands.

Current handset - LG G4. Screen resolution amazing, but no OLED is a shame. Doesn't feel that much faster than the Note, but better camera, and nicer to use due to size.

I install the Google home app, so the launcher of choice by the mahufacturer doesn't matter to me.

I was looking at the Huawei P10, and maybe the new Onplus 5, but both only have 1080p screens, and it feels like a shame to swap back from the qHD on the G4, even if it got me OLED.
Camera isn't super important, but would be nice to have a good one.

CPU spec will go uo regardless of what I pick, but id like the screen and RAM to at least stay static, I dont want a worse phone than what I have.

I've made my bed regarding removal batteries, I'll handle whatever I get.

Due to screen preference, and spec asks, is my choice pretty much limited to the Galaxy S8, and maybe Sonys 4K flagship effort? Never been a fan of the sony smartphones, bad reliability in my experience.

If you enjoyed the Note 3, and want a phone now, the S8 is your best bet. If you can wait 3 or 4 months the end of the year is shaping up to be a veritable clash of the titans with the Note 8, Pixel 2 and iPhone 8 all coming out within weeks of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

DaveSauce posted:

I'm just beginning to start to look for a new phone. I have an HTC One M8 that I got at around launch, so it's really starting to show its age. Slow and starting to get unresponsive, random crashes every once in a while, and the battery life is REALLY starting to tank. I'm going to do a factory reset soon to see if that will help, but who knows how much more time that'll give me.

I'm in the US on Verizon. I'm also tired of all the lovely Verizon apps that I can't delete (why does VZ Navigator still exist??), and I'd like to actually receive updates on a time scale NOT measured in centuries....so I'm looking for an unlocked phone. Not sure if that's still a hard thing to find or not.

Anyhow, if I'm looking for a brand new top-of-the-line phone, and I'm not desperate for it today, is Pixel 2 the answer? I've got time to wait, and I've heard that the Pixel 2 will be out in October. Not sure if my phone will last that long, but if it does I can hold out.

edit: OK so I'm sure that doesn't really narrow down options, but I'm just starting to look so I don't know what the major things are that sets phones apart these days. IF the pixel 2 is more than 6 months out, then I might need to start narrowing things down. And I guess the only reason I'm considering that phone is due to the success of the Pixel, so maybe I'm just blindly steering for that hoping I don't have to work to make decisions.

I would say Pixel 2 or Note 8, but since you're on Verizon and want timely updates I'd narrow it down to just the Pixel 2.