Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

heated game moment posted:

https://twitter.com/roadshow/status/1369877694884671489

https://twitter.com/CARandDRIVER/status/1369877323860893696

The new Large Jeeps have been unveiled. Top trim has a 6.4L V8 with 471 HP and 455 lb/ft, and they are bigger than a Tahoe. Apparently the Grand Wagoneer can be optioned up to $111,000.

I'm so tired of everything

So glad we get more giant rear end SUVs that cost 10,000 times that of what minimum wage pays out to some 35 year old.

At least its bigger than an apartment in some coastal cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bad_fmr posted:

Yeah either this or a van. Around here anyone or any company that actually has to haul stuff does that in a van. Keep your stuff protected from elements. Why all the trucks when there are Transits and Sprinters etc. on US markets as well, right?

vans are for dads. aggro bro with six kids isn't a dad.

Vans own <3

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

So it's better to just not feel the rush of power?

I mean, you can make a 600 horsepower car accelerate like a 200 horsepower car by just not pushing the gas down as much, right?

gixxer 1k galaxy brain logic right there.

Hikaki posted:

Posters that genuinely believe 600hp is straight up unfun in any situation: please chime in and prove me wrong.

600hp in the dirt is righteous. 600hp on a track is also righteous. 600hp on american roads is pointless as the road surfaces is too busted to remotely use it nevermind the lack of skill of everybody that shares said roads. 100whp or less is more suitable for that. Its way more fun to flog a gutless shitbox "fast" than to baby a fast shitbox slow.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Some companies(chrysler, tesla) change poo poo all willy nilly. Most companies save big changes for model year changeovers for easier parts tracking. Occasionally stuff will change a lot mid-year. 99 powerstroke F-250s and 99.5 powerstroke f-250s have a bunch of engine differences, like incompatible injectors for example.

It's all a crap shoot.

There's a tech upgrade where the 99.5+s used sequenced injections to cut smoke/emissions while increasing efficiency and power.
02-03 CA models were catalyst equipped too.

That same basic 1999 cab/frame design ran till 2016 or so. major front end update on the 4x4 in 05.5 otherwise, not much changes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

I never liked that design because the crease looks like they're trying to draw attention to the lack of grille. Like they started with a grille, then erased it but left the eraser smudge marks on purpose to make you notice it isn't there anymore. It doesn't even look like a photoshop, it looks like an MSpaint edit in real life.

Sadly Tesla's designers are the double-down kind, if someone tells them their design looks like crap they'll dig in deeper.

I'm not a fan of it either. There's aftermarket bumpers for the car that make it look less like a half finished industrial design student's class project.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Looks like a fuckin speed boat

Looks like a fancy jet drive too based on those huge water intakes up front.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bouillon Rube posted:

Jeez, we’re getting a $20k pickup truck that can probably seat four adults comfortably and get 40mpg highway. Is that not nice enough for you people?

No it has to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside the bed with the tailgate closed and also tow 40 tons without ever dropping below 85mph.

Imo it's a fantastic buy at $20k.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Why not just get another Ranger or a Tacoma?

A used Taco costs more than a new Maverick.
The newest og ranger is now a decade old running on hardware from the nixon era.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is because of

Jack B Nimble posted:

It very much is a bad thing in a wreck. (I love the old Ranger, my dad had one).

Old trucks crash like poo poo. Especially when an offset is involved.

I live aboard a 31 year old farm truck, I wouldn't want to get hit by a new civic these things are such death traps.
I love the old rangers, I'll never own a second death-trap truck though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

poo poo fuel mileage and range would be the top of my list

lol tacomas get the same fuel economy as a f350.

Toyotas reputation of old sells their trucks. See: Hilux. They also know how to market to their demographic. For actual work they're kind of mediocre in payload/power/towing/etc.
However as a lifestyle vehicle for Hauling mountain bikes, overlanding, camping, or casual homeowner projects? They're excellent trucks.
Towing? get a F-series. Buy GM for the ride quality. Buy Dodge because its cheap.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i get toyota first owners. Resale value, go for it.

But the third owner paying $25k for a miled out truck? Just confuses me.

I don't see how a 400,000km toyota could outlast a 200,000km ford.

Agreed. Chassis and its components still age. People forget about that.
Used truck prices are even worse. Especially right now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

What does this even mean? My understanding is that with the right option codes checked, the F150 is currently payload king by a large margin. The truck camper manufacturers seem to target F150s as the main half-ton, which you can get over 2800lbs payload rating, or pretty loaded with over 2000lbs of payload.

Toyota doesn't seem to have a nice spec sheet available for truck camper installs, but from the best I can tell the Tundra's max payload tops out around 1700 lbs, with most configurations around 1400-1500lbs.

See: big 10, heavy half, 7700gvwr F150s from the beanbody era, etc. Basic half ton (class 2a (6,001–8,500 pounds (2,722–3,856 kg))) truck with a slightly higher gvwr.

F150 wins out over the other in that segment. Dodge is real weak in the payload department.
The "half ton" campers are a bit of a lie in that they're at the upper edge of what the half-ton can carry. Ideally those are better suited for gasser 3/4 tons.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

LibCrusher posted:

I optioned out the cheapest max-payload F150, then a similar spec F350 SRW, and they cost the same. If you’re gonna throw a camper in the back you might as well just get the super duty.

I agree. And if it has any slides whatsoever its time to buy the DRW.
Gasser 6.2/7.3 will have the best payload for a slide in.

There is some tiny overlap between the 4wd diesel reg-cab drw 350 c/c and 450 c/c where the 350 can have a touch more payload (excess of 6000lb) but the 450 has better brakes/axles/suspension/lower-gears with a higher gross combined towing capacity.

I'm new truck browsing while running an 3 decade old 4wd diesel srw 350 c/c refit into a drw 350 c/c payload with a bunch of modern aftermarket upgrades. (my slide in weighs right about 3 tons)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

I like them, they're a nice way to spend a Sunday. You get to sit in and touch cars you can't afford. :buddy:

Yeah its like an open house.

Like most things, some car shows are good..most.. nah.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

I always dislike walking around on day 3 when all the models they hired are just so worn out and falling asleep on their feet during the scripted presentations, it breaks my heart that booth babes are still a thing and they really seem to have a particularly bad time at car shows.

yeah the objectification of ladies and motorsport are a big gripe of mine. On par with gendering or naming cars with human names. I hope its something that dies with the outgoing generation.

McTinkerson posted:

It's fun to harass Mitsubishi North America.

"Wow I love how you guys lovingly restored this decade old Lancer!"

New cars don't really do it for me, or halo cars treated like a rare painting and never used, nor do the kind of cars that the owner pays others to keep for them. The kinda people that puts their own time and effort into an aging ride? yeah that can be the good kinda show. Character and stories.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Uh yeah we're going full Mad Max. Drive recycled v8s with recycled blowers running on corn. Its green in a way.

There isn't poo poo you can really do as an individual outside of not having children compared to what crapitalism and energy companies at large are doing and have been doing long before you were a sparkle in your parent's eye.

The planet of course will be fine. Humans probably will too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

So what would be everyone's max $125-150k smart lottery win car purchase be?

Kamaz or MAN COE. Any condition or model.

E: like this, but toting a rv + machineshop

If I'm gonna drop six figs on on a vehicle, I'm going for broke.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 15, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

The mild climate and lack of cold winters means there's no frost heaving so wear and tear on the roads are much less. I don't have any stats to back it up but I also suspect that given the smaller physical distances and extensive rail network, there are fewer of the very large, heavy trucks that cause most of the wear and tear on road surfaces. That and having a reasonable budget for maintenance.

I think US states like West Virginia have similarly good roads for the same reasons.

Easy thing to get around if the local area gives a gently caress about it.

But unfortunately its mostly this

bull3964 posted:

In the US, roads are refinished by the cheapest contractor in the fastest time possible (in manhour terms, not time spent with the road closed or restricted) and then very little maintenance is done outside of cold patching potholes until things completely fall apart and then then spend the next 18 months refinishing again.

Repeat every 5 years.

I can say that West Virginia roads are pretty good, as are Kentuckies. Michigan while terrible, doesn't extend the terribleness to the Upper Peninsula.

Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, PA and its Toll road systems, and basically the entire midwest from the rockies to the great lakes is absolutely trash for road surface, condition, and bridge health.

I'd love to see rail make a huge comeback. Won't happen here. GM's heavy trucks and buses killed off city rail in the 50s then the 737 happened. Now there's a lot of this going around:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Because taxes may go up, someone may benefit from something that wasn't available to me, and/or why should I pay for something I don't use.

Similar logic to infrastructure really. Cycle repeats, everybody lobs suspension parts are their rolling dumpsters every year because long form thinking is hard.

KakerMix posted:

I tell you, I am absolutely enjoying my time in Germany. The stark, STARK difference between a functional society and Florida is amazing.

To be fair Florida is a stark difference from the other 49 states in this backwater.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Can’t wait to see how automakers will pander to us when we’re 50.

They'll still be building cars for the 3 boomers left alive with enough money to afford them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Funny, this went the other way for me.

Same. I churned through north of 50 cars before I was 25.
For almost two years in my late 20s I didn't even own a car.

Now in my 30s all I lust for is something quiet, comfortable, cargo room, with good handling, decent power and brakes. Basically a wagon. Had a Gen2 Volt for a while and it fit the bill.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Better off riding a modern moto than driving any vehicle built before 2005ish.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

full ATGATT complete with neck brace under the helmet while driving in my F-250 for maximum safety

Yeah have you seen how those things just fold up in a crash? woof.

Motorcycling is the safe option if you're gonna drive one of those shitheaps.

Hi derail, I've run several bikes to their deaths commuting and such. Across six figures of miles and a decade of holding an endorsement I've been hit twice, once on dirt and once on the street. Both were other motorcycles.
As was said. Wear your drat gear, ride within your and the condition's limits, ride defensively, work on your skills as a rider to become a better rider. Riding one weekend a month when its 70F and Sunny isn't gonna skill build. look for problems before they become problems. A car can out brake you, outhandle you, however you are invisible to them, that's a strength.
Urbanites: buy a low-cc supermoto, there's a reason why they're so spendy.

I quit riding regularly in 2020-2021 because the roads in the area became a free for all with driver attentiveness at an all time low. (coupled with moving out and not having a way to haul a bike)
I'll be resuming motos for 2022. gently caress this poo poo, I want my bike back.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah its dualsport/adv for me. Hauls all, Does most. Multitool of bikes. Did my time on spine busters. As long as I can still squat those 600lb beasts they'll stay around. And when I can't, There's the GT3.

If it weren't for motos it would definitely be a Porsche in my life. Maybe someday I can have both at my future shop.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PBCrunch posted:

The question I have about the Tesla's lovely brakes is why those nerds don't put some special software on it to keep the car limited to speeds within the present confines of the braking system. Like this:

if (madeHighVelocityStopInLastTenMinutes == true) {
limitSpeed = true
}

or

if (brakesAreHot == true) {
limitSpeed = true
}

or better yet

if (gps.inResidential == true) {
maxSpeed = 25
}

Easy now they've yet to figure out exterior lighting should be on when the wipers are on despite both being software controlled devices and legislation stating such.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Crosstrek does however borrow some of Toyota's HSD tech for its hybrid though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

There's an AWD prius that is that in spirit.

after 2020-2021 i think i want one

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

If you jailbreak your car, they won't code in your new air filter. Then what!?!

Sell it to someone, top dollar, firm on price, no low ballers, just needs air filter, know what i got.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Reversing at the source (the motor rotor) has been a thing for a hundred plus years now.

If the dipshit disruptive automaker tech company isn't doing it, probably a bad idea for the automaker thats been around for a hundred years.

Reversing the rotor is well trodden, simple, mechanically and packaging efficient.

If it ain't broke; don't fix it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
buy the premium trim or else you're getting a penalty box worse than a stripper 400 series.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah uh 2200sfi/iron puke powered LLVs still fart and belch their way around California.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

smooth jazz posted:

bring back forester sti, cowards

here you go
[forester sti with a cvt]

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

You can live in your car but you can't race your house

bet

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nothing is safe against an idiot armed with a 9000lb hummer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Especially US road infrastructure

Its too heavy for rte66 in California, numerous bridges in the upper midwest.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

You can drive safely slower than the speed limit and no one is going to run you over. If you're unable to do that, maybe you shouldn't be driving.

wrong op. There are a good half dozen states with with high enough speedlimits that if you can't maintain the flow of traffic you are a liability and will get your poo poo pushed in by some mouth breather in a luxury car. Especially when there's two or three morons that decide to measure cocks around a flotilla of slow moving large vehicles.

I say this having traveled the country in the last year with a vehicle that can't break 80, and *barely* break 70 depending on conditions.
It. loving. Sucks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

EVs deal better with heat than cold. It might be slightly less convenient than a gas car but it would be perfectly doable.

The nissan leaf would like to have a word.

KillHour posted:

Truckers are going the fastest speed that the governor on their truck allows them to at all times. Time is money.

Part of it is also that the Northeast just has artificially low speed limits and you're expected to go 10 over. I've never been pulled over for doing less than 15 over on a divided, limited access highway. Those speed limits are for the winter and when it's lovely out. It's just a thing everyone knows here.

Which is usually set by the carrier, their insurance minimums, and the kinda tires they feel like springing for.
A blistering 62-68mph. In CA they are restricted to 55. Try that on fun old two lane I5. Say a friday, or a sunday. You'll get pockets of dickbags causing traffic flow problem after problem for the like 10 hours it takes to get between LA and SF.
The driver's time is not valued by the company, only the load, for the driver does not make a dime when sitting between loads or when they're out of available hours.
midwestern/northeastern roads, including the toll roads, are utter poo poo, trying to do [checks notes] 95mph in a f350 let alone a freightliner is gonna result in a bad time.
Considering I broke a F350 frame doing 60-70 across the dakotas and a few weeks later continually got airborne on PA's joke of a turnpike at like forty loving five miles per hour it amazed me that it didn't break again.

Wheeee posted:

time to get a prius and a motorcycle

Prius and bicycle. better yet: moto and bicycle.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Reading these various replies just cements the fact that the US needs far better infrastructure for alternatives to the car and that it seems nobody should actually be driving if they incapable of looking ahead to spot potential hazards.

It will never happen. cars won here. public transit is stigmatized. People drive like they push shopping carts like they screw, what isn't about them does not matter.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
No judge would convict for busting 100 in a yugo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Here I thought MaxV testing was pretty standard.

78mph in a 50s gm greyhound bus converted into a rv, 671 detroit pinned to the governor in 4th with taller than stock tires.
took about 3 hours and a gravity assist to get a 100whp n/a diesel bricknose up to 100mph. Its much easier with a turbo... even when it had a dead cylinder*. Not gonna bother with the new longblock. I'm pretty comfortable cruising at 75 in that heavy pig.
130 in a p38 rangie, 120 in a discovery1. same engine I built, still had pull, I didn't. Had to test the engine I specified and built. It cruised much better in the p38 with its 8" longer wheelbase and lack of rear end heaviness that D1s inherently have*.
had a festiva that could pull to 110+?(odo ends at 85) with ease. a bp-swap may have been involved.
140 in a supra. that's the fastest i've gone in a shitbox.

*parts of the rural southwest means you can be in the middle of nowhere for several hours without seeing another person or car.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

The only reason it exists is because of nostalgia, otherwise it wouldn't be called the CSL.

Interesting take given that your whole thing is selling gently used nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so fun thought experiment. What's the bare minimum you require in a car? At what point do you become used to having pointless options in a vehicle?

It runs.

And makes good noise.

And maybe moves when I put the hammer down