Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Fren posted:

Yeah, there's a bunch of sounds from Quake. The armor pickups, for one. Duke Nukem's explosions, I think, too.

the rocket explosion sounds like its from HL1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

misterdoo01 posted:

I don't really like where this Brutal Doom discussion is going (aka a lot of poo poo slinging), so I have a question: What are some of the best HL1 mods out there (not counting "official" Valve sanctioned mods)? I've already tried Scientist Slaughterhouse (not very good actually), and have Sven Coop installed.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/night-at-the-office

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I've always used Darkplaces. Enhances particles & textures, lets you do widescreen and mess with the hud. I think there's a retexture pack but it looks good enough without.

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Cool Doom wad I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td3DvdrlCm0
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12724

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

intheend.midi is so sick

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Whats the best way to play Duke Nukem online coop?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

Has a paintball game ever been good?

e: I mean, besides using that cheat on Goldeneye.

digital paintball mod for Half Life 1

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
WHat's the best way to play Blood with a mouse or controller? I've got the GoG version but never played past the first level because the mouselook blows and I don't like playing FPS games keyboard only.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not sure if this really counts as "early", but does anyone know how to get the Disc version of Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil to run at ultra settings? No matter what I do it resets back to loving 640 * 480 and that's just not acceptable.

I created a config file with the Doom3 Tweaker, and got that to work for the original game, but I can't seem to get it to work for the expansion pack. It is seeing the file, it's given my marine the name I specified in the Doom3 Tweaker, but the resolution is not cooperating and I forget how to make it work.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/doom-3

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Why isn't the 2009 wolfenstein on steam?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Make sure you have OpenGL enabled in the video settings.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

al-azad posted:

Life is funnier if you imagine all sperglords look like Ignatius J. Reilly.

Hahah. Hell yeah!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

maev posted:

The problem is the opposite. With how dangerous hitscanners are in BD you effectively have to play it like a cover shooter on levels which do not base their difficulty on hit scanners being so deadly

This. But you know what that plasma will do to you... faster than rap music even!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

They're giving the ECWolf guy a % of the sales which is chill.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two things I always hated about Quake, despite loving the game, are the sound of the shotgun, and how every weapon was centered.

WTF centered weapons are epic!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

And of course Trent Reznor should be responsible for all sound effects, but he's much too stable these days. Like when Sunn O))) locked their severely claustrophobic guest singer in a coffin to record the lyrics on the track "Báthory Erzsébet", he needs to get back to his angsty drug-fueled days. Actually, if he did the music in collaboration with Sunn O))), I'm sure they could come up with something suitably terrifying.

Holy shitballs that's the most amazing idea :black101:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Duke Nukem and Freddy Krueger share the screen in Ready Player One, the new Spielberg movie, ok you win I'll see the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwpjnuaVTE&t=90s

drat I misread that as Freddy Fazbear and got hyped af for a second.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A good and smart mix of designed and procedurally-generated could wield wonders.

Absolutely not.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

I’m all for making GBS threads on tactical shooters, you do you, but anyone who is saying crysis/warhead is rear end, what is a better tactical shooter? it’s the top of that genre and I’ve yet to play anything that comes close.

:crossarms:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
crysis is cool because mech warrior living legends is badass

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Agreed. I’d happily drop $60 to play all 4 Valve games on the one console less powerful than the 9800 I first ran HL2 on.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

The new one really had promise though. Granted it was kind of a weird approach that was not guaranteed to work, with the sort of crowdsourced approach. But it needed a shake-up and that was as good as idea as any. Some of the maps looked really promising.

it was a legitimately good UT game somewhere between 99 and 2k4 in terms of weapons/gameplay without the bad ut3 aesthetic. it sucks that Fortnite killed it and we won't get an onslaught or assault mode for it (the reason to play UT instead of QUake)

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

You guys should play Quake Champions for arena multiplayer. It’s pretty good now imo.

Diabotical doesn’t look very interesting to me but I’ll give it a try when open beta starts soon. I think I’ll rather stick with a real Quake game for arena MP.

there's way too much downtime and long queues in QC. upwards of 5 mins (queue + loading + prematch + endgame screens) between unranked TDM matches is whack. if you like CLan Arena at all it's even worse because of the added wait time between rounds. and because of that the mode is dead since everyone wandered back to Quake Live

idk how large the diabotical betas were but you got in and out of games fast. it also has some interesting takes on gamemodes and no gameplay unlocks. last test weekend the real tryhards showed up and were giving the chat a severe case of gamer AIDS but what can you do. looking forward to the open beta.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly, if I decided to actually poke at this any further, I'd probably use a different framing so that, instead of it being an actual future-bloodsport, you're essentially managing an esports team.

the most obvious angle here would be expandability/modularity: it introduces the obvious expansion angle of "more games to simulate/compete in." maybe the base game could be an arena shooter, and then expansions could add a MOBA, a more pseudo-realistic CS/Siege/Valorant-type shooter, an RTS, or what have you if it takes off.

setting aside :capitalism: motives, though, it also makes the quoted idea easier to achieve, because you're not having to establish a narrative specifically through the combat itself. the players are, rather than larger-than-life future bloodsport badasses, just regular people who are good at video game, and would have regular people drama and regular people injuries/illnesses.

for example: you're the coach of the Austin Dinosaurs, a relatively middling team. there's a 5v5 CTF tournament coming up on the schedule, and you want to sign the team up because winning will be a big boost to your cred (and, as a result, your finances and opportunities). however, everyone else in the tourney is punching decently above your weight class, so you set the training to be intense and rigorous for the week leading up to it and cut breaks from "full meals and 8 hours of sleep" to "meals consisting of Cheetos and Mountain Dew during training and maximum 1-hour naps," in the hopes that you can eke some extra performance out of your players. then your flag runner gets an RSI the day before the tourney as a result of this, meaning he'll be out for at least a month and you have to pull in a ringer and keep your fingers crossed that he's good enough to not hold the other four back. these kinds of situations are why Football Manager whips so much rear end and there's no real reason it's gotta be exclusive to soccer nerds

Ok yuouve changed my mind this sounds stupid.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Other than Final Doomer, this guy is using what I would describe as Vanilla+

Holy poo poo that looks liek advanced weaponized HIV./AIDS.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

everything else aside that guy's hud is objectively hideous

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I tried the first Unreal last week and I didn’t really like it.:blush:

It’s awful. Bullet sponge enemies and switch hunts every level. I’ve never made it through. The music is sick though.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Was about to buy it cause i've long since lost my cod1 cds and i loved the mp/would be interested in revisiting campaign but it doesn't include United Offensive. fail!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Keiya posted:

Does anyone know of a reliable source for Quake 1 CDs? Shareware is fine, even, I'm just sick of having to dig around the internet to find the soundtrack whenever I reinstall it from Steam. Failing that the only legal option I can think of would be to get a record player and the vinyl release and record the soundtrack off that.

why would you ever uninstall quake ?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

verbal enema posted:

wow there is not a good community in the BGIII game loooootta racial and homophobia slurs

Man goddamnit

Lol. THe one match i played of it there was a guy with using text to speech to recite some white supremacist thing all game.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

This is making me curious. Are there still any decently popular multiplayer Goldsrc or Source mods out there?

I’ve always preferred the feel Quake lineage games, and still play a lot of Team Fortress/Titanfall/Apex because for the most part they scratch any multiplayer itch I have. I wouldn’t mind having another game or two to jump into on occasion.

Oh and by decently populated I mean I could find a game without needing discord or steam groups. A server or two population is enough for me.

sven coop
fistful of frags
several gmod modes

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
i thought that game used q1. did they mash quake 3 in to a 1 source port (darkplaces)? o_O

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

i didn't make it far in to dwell but am enjoying this. i've always liked the size restricted comps cause the mappers have to get inventive with the use of space.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

this felt and looked incredibly crappy. the demo completely turned me off.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Youth with a Skull posted:

This runs shockingly well with stock Xenia ... hitches when a new animation is loaded the first time but beyond that, butter smooth.

Now all we need is somebody to build out a M+KB control hack, feels super strange to control on my Dualshock4

you can already do that with an n64 emulator. it runs in hd widescreen at 60 fps even.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Doom 64: This thread has kind of a high opinion of it but i found it just as bland and boring as I did back when it was new. The new sprites look awful, like a bad TC, and the new sounds don't do anything for me. Admittedly, that might just be because my brain is so wired for the originals that anything else feels odd and wrong though. The Aubrey Hodges music is admittedly fantastic though, although the tracks from Doom PSX are higher quality.

agreed. boring boxy levels with few landmarks filled with mystery switches and key hunts. i'm halfway through and not sure i'll be able to finish it since it's so dull.

it's really a testament to how far fan wads have taken the game though.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
David Jaffe is OVER.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

I eventually figured it out, the wad itself doesn't seem to play nice with doom launcher right now so I had to go back to zdl. Other wads load up just fine so I actually unfairly maligned the source port, which having used it for a bit seems pretty cool. The stuff skillsaw is doing with it in these levels is sick as hell, this is like practically a build engine mapset.

if you change .pke to .pk3 it works with the launcher

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

awesome thanks, I didn't even realize it wasn't a .pk3

sure. .pke SHOULD be the same thing and it works fine when you drag it on to the EE exe. not sure why it trips up Doom Launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Your first mistake was going to RPG Codex.

Yeah, quake is an FPS game.