Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

lol barons please use that thing's weird toothy nutsack as your next av

BARONS CROTCH BITER ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flyboi posted:

all his final builds use eeproms which still, suck total rear end and die after 10-15 years

source pls.

old school uv-sensitive eproms can fail if light hits them, i guess

modern electrical eproms should last as long, if not longer, than the pcb in which you install them. manufacturers' data sheets don't even list read cycle counts, they only talk about erase/write cycles. i have plenty of 10-15-20 year old eeproms at home and they work fine.

the real long-term risk: who trusts hand-assembled lovely pcbs w/ lead-free solder

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 24, 2012

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

anyway it was a flop on it's first run, and pretty much the only reason anyone has ever heard of it is that desilu sold it dirt cheap in syndication so it got saturated across hundreds of little channels in weird timeslots and picked up a cult following of young nerds

cult following is kind of a dumb way to understate it

20 years after it first aired, it was still the #1 most popular syndicated show... and syndication was not exactly a new or weird thing in the 1980s.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also paramount failed to create tv networks like once a year back then, so they were very nearly 100% dependent on syndication to avoid being under the networks' thumbs

not surprising that they paid attention to their #1 independent show

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Gentoo posted:

it's actually not that hard for them to do that. i mean they're using a tegra system on a chip plus some extra components and then thats sloppily designed into a board.

someone post the other board photo where it shows that the usb socket is actually not conencted by board traces, but instead uses a wire going across the board and soldered on to the usb connector.

the hard part is not the board, it's all the expensive injection-molded plastic: the case, the controller shell etc

with 8.5MM, that stuff becomes pretty plausible. 40k a go-round on hosed injection molds isn't as big a deal i guess

with just 1MM, their original goal, i have no idea how the gently caress they planned to get it done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/HelloHarto

My Drunk Kitchen gets 60 large in 6 hours for a tour

My Drunk Kitchen Girl is awesome

i kinda wonder how the tax situation works for this kickstarter poo poo

you reckon my drunk kitchen girl has a an accountant and is paying 30k to the irs for income tax and se tax on her kickstarter dollars?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flyboi posted:

ruby sucks so much poo poo

i love that they correctly identified the problem (ruby sucks poo poo to use on osx) but then completely failed to identify the solution (ship a canned Linux VM that any idiot can use easily)

edit: talkin bout http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1397300529/railsapp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

as i understand it it's on the same basis as any venture capital investment - if the project being invested in spends the money legitimately on the project and it still fails then welp, that's too bad. if they just spend the money on hookers and blow then there's a legitimate lawsuit there, but kickstarter are no more responsible for it than the printers of a prospectus for an IPO are.

(where it gets complex is with the investor reward stuff - a lot of projects are basically retailing their as-yet-nonexistent product through kickstarter and that puts them in a whole new world of hurt, legally speaking, which might be why kickstarter are cracking down on that now)

i don't think this is the case. this is very explicitly not any kind of investment. if it were an investment, it would be an SEC-regulated security and illegal as gently caress to sell it to normal people

it's also not a retail store

as far as i can tell the only liability is the contract you signed with the kickstarter company. donors also only have a relationship with kickstarter. if you walk the gently caress away, who's going to sue you? kickstarter inc?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmao, that's hilariously anti-bus-customer (that is, anti-poor)

why not also charge $100 for a bus ticket and require all bus passengers to own an aston

we are fast approaching a world where nearly all poor people will have smartphones and data plans. i think it is more than a majority right now, this minute

while a smartphone w/ data can be quite expensive, it's not too bad compared to a computer AND an internet sub AND some kind of telephone. (and it will do more for the average person than all three of those things combined)

not having a smartphone, today, in 2013, is the province of the middle income family. not wealthy enough to have a smartphone forced on them by work, not poor enough to make a smartphone the essential mode of communicating with the internet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol if you actually mean world and not country

lol if you think my figurative world includes the global poor

BooLoo posted:

let me tell you about the poors *leans back into eams lounge, nibbles on slice of artisnal bespoke pizza and posts from gigantic shining sarnsnug phone tablet*

me right now irl

minus the tablet

and the eames lounge

and the pizza

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I tried reading Thomas ligotti or whatever, the horror dude. It was just like lovecraft

Is wordy and dry just the way horror is done?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

basically all his mary sues lose their minds when they discover something their brains just can't handle which says a lot about him

this is every ligotti story too

protagonist is always a man poking into something (usually a building) that he shouldn't be, discovering something horrible, losing his mind

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweevo posted:

i've never had a shirt where the collar didn't stay in place naturally. maybe if you buy five shirts for $10 that's a problem i dunno

other way around. cheapo permanent press shirts are literally dipped in plastics in order to hold their shape. if you buy shirts that are made properly, you will have to iron them. and your collars will require stays.

these adjustable stays look like total poo poo though. they're so bulky and thick will they even fit in a regular collar stay slot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

people who are really into this seem to care about even slight deviations

the best part is that the middle one is some kind of wretched fake satin

are you a pimp or a stripper

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lol look at that cloudy ice

this is garbage for nouveau riche. if you can't afford a personal bartender who carves more carefully frozen clear ice to fit the glass, idk what to tell you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

also it looks like a pickpocket's dream

perfect for tourists to simultaneously flash their valuables and advertise their vulnerable, out-of-town nature

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

penus de milo posted:

americans discover microbrews, naturally assume they're the best at doing that along with everything else ever

joke's on you
we literally are

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vicas posted:

it doesn't help that beer really doesn't hold up well when it travels overseas, so all european beer here is either stuff brewed in bulk in st louis or had its taste ruined while it shipped

some european beer distributors are working on the freshness problem. it only takes a few weeks to cross the ocean, but having a few weeks across the ocean on top of several weeks winding through a distribution chain is bad

but it could be worse. the best american beers aren't exported at all. the entire world assumes our only beer is budweiser

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

chumpchous posted:

i mean tell me how i'm wrong on this. abbey ales:

✓taste boring
✓are really expensive
✓mediocire alcohol content
✓beloved by hipsters

if price and alcohol content are your thing you can just cut to the chase

✓ the exciting taste of working class america
✓ highly affordable
✓ high in alcohol, for that all-day drunk
✓ universally loathed by hipsters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Migishu posted:

FREE LIMITLESS ENGERGY! - flexible funding campaign

FREE LIMITLESS ENERGY*

* free with purchase of compressed hydrogen and oxygen

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hydrogen is hard! :downs:
*builds a literal island to drill several thousand feet through the ocean floor to get oil that has to be transported, processed, and transported again to run in a thing with hundreds of years of engineering behind it*

reminder: BMW's hydrogen car, when parked, will allow all of its fuel to escape within about 10 days

hydrogen has to be supercooled to reach even 1% of gasoline's energy density, it embrittles metals, and it's dangerous as hell. it's just a really lousy substance to use as portable fuel.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

so this is not shameful in itself, it's just office furniture... until you see the price

$319 is ikea grade. there is no fuckin way they're going to produce anything with multiple integrated electronic things for $319 even at-cost

if it ever ships it will be the worst turd you've ever seen

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

mozarella is awful

rubbery stupid poo poo

mozarella isn't rubbery when it's fresh
but it also has no flavor when fresh

so it's kinda lose/lose

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vicas posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/553629644/a-cave-to-authentically-age-cheese-in-essex-county?ref=live

i think this is relevant to this thread at this point

and grandma double fisting is relevant to this thread at any point

rural mass looking pretty much like i expect
really cold and weird pets

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sham bam bamina! posted:

just dropping by to say that this is the best cheese, peace

Cabot butter is rad

I'm not on board with their cheese though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

just $237 to get the anal & vagina & nipple stimulators

(i don't see any wang stimulators listed, but i'm not going any farther, even though i'm looking at it using my phone instead of my work computer)

some idiots posted:

For each erogenous zone a product is available. Only the penis stimulator will be introduced at a later stage. The current prototype does not yet comply with our requirements as far as the realistic feeling is concerned.

i'm sure they're perfectly happy to go forward with their half-baked and kinda scary-looking electric dildos because they have no one to test them

but the electronic pocket pussy, nope, not up to snuff yet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

it doesnt matter jules verne is steam punk even if they were nuclear powered

nuclear is the steamiest and punkest technology on the block

also, supposedly, the comomnly seen jules verne translations into english are loving terrible, and the author doesn't sound like an eduardian gynecologist discussing hydronomics when read in the original french

i don't know enough french to c/d

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jules verne was the first thing i read after i stopped reading picture books so i have pretty fond memories of him and dont remember any creepy stuff

but to be honest i've been avoiding a reread for that very reason

i didn't mean it was creepy, i just meant that the english translations are riddled with elaborate circumlocutions and stilted speech

like an eduardian doctor discussing something simultaneously uncomfortable AND well outside his field

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wikipedia posted:

Reform is a city in Pickens County, Alabama, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 1,978.
[...]
The median income for a household in the city was $20,625, and the median income for a family was $24,875. Males had a median income of $27,019 versus $16,827 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,429. About 26.3% of families and 30.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.9% of those under age 18 and 26.6% of those age 65 or over.

so to sell 30 hotdogs a day, every single man, woman, and child in Reform will need to patronize doobie's shop at least once a month

limited-service restaurant margins on tickets under $15 average 6% according to the national blah blah blah association, which means that doobie can hope to earn about $3,285 a year in gross profit, assuming he sells each dog for $5

if you include doobie's own labor contributions, if he has zero employees and works the stand 100% of the time himself, 365 days a year, he could earn as much as $18,615 a year

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 7, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tl;dr if every man, woman, and child in town spends 0.5% of their annual income on Doobie AND he takes zero days sick AND he employs 0 people he COULD conceivably earn as much as a wal-mart greeter or gas station attendant

sounds like a dynamite business

edit: oh, and he can't afford to mail any hotdogs to backers. that would put him in the red for decades because postage is probably way, way, way more than his 34% gross margin, not even accounting for the part where all the backer money is gonna get used for loving capital investments and poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

that's not fair a tourist could get lost looking for a gas station or escape a hillbilly cannibal's basement

that's true. reform, AL is just twenty four miles from the nearest interstate.

if you stumbled off the interstate, accidentally drove through the entirety of metro tuscaloosa, then wandered down a backwoods highway for twenty miles, you might just develop the bottomless hunger for a gourmet ketchup doobie dawg

but they would be closed, because doobie operates the stand alone and has to shut up shop when his 'beetus acts up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
to be honest i would not be making fun of this if he built the stand in tuscaloosa. i'm sure there are people in alabama who would buy and appreciate these hotdogs tailored to whatever the local preferences are

but it's insane to try and build a fast food joint in the outskirts of a depressed one-horse town twenty miles away from the nearest commercial strip, especially when there are already several national franchises in town (wikipedia says Jacks and Subway at least)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

it's not opening on a dirt road, it's a pretty big highway with lots of traffic

I'm not saying it's the most rock solid of business ventures, but selling fatty food in rural alabama seems like a decent bet and ol wayne has a better business plan than 99% of kickstarter morons

yes, it's paved, but it's a 2-lane road to nowhere. it goes FROM tuscaloosa TO nowheresville. and he's gonna open his stand in the nowheresville outskirts.

and, as mentioned, reform AL just doesn't have any people in it. i really doubt they are underserved by not one but two fast food joints in a town of 2000 people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I was at a party and easily half of the 20 somethings were "social media marketers", I hung out with the hippies and the clichéd wall street dbags because they were far more interesting

i accidentally went to a happy hour intended for UX/design people once

• 90% female

• 100% under 30

• 50% turned out to actually be social media / marketers who had nothing to do with design.

so i guess if you're a super nerd there's your dating pool, served on a plate. pretend to care about "flat design" for an hour, meet a ton of employed under-30 women

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

really?

i find that hard to believe

salesy types always seem to be ballin.. is it just fake image?

if a sales guy lives like he makes 500k, he probably makes 250 and has a mountain of debt.
if a sales guy lives like he makes 200k, he probably makes 100 and has a mountain of debt.
if a sales guy lives like he makes 100k, he probably makes 50 and has a mountain of debt.

so yes it's fake image and yes they also make a lot more money than their tech counterparts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also, if a sales guy tells you he makes 200k, it means he made 151k, one year, and rounds up to the nearest hundred. this year he probably made 85.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

penus de milo posted:

i wouldn't mind going to that just for the subject matter :/

the subject matter was poo poo, too

the slide deck was discussing 2010's hottest design trends in 2013. wow i've never seen microsoft metro before!!!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

i get that myst was popular originally because ~beautiful pre rendered 640x480 graphics~ in 1992 or whatever but whats the appeal in it past that.

it was a middling at best graphic adventure and the sequels didn't really improve on it either

640x480 with full motion video overlaid on it was nothing to laugh at in 1994, nobody else was even coming close

also the premise was pretty unusual for an adventure game. no exposition to speak of, really strange locations, no people or animals or really anything that could surprise/kill you

it hasn't aged well tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

the puzzles in 7th guest are really loving bad but the atmosphere and setting is p awesome

was 7th guest the one that had the chess puzzle where it's almost impossible to beat on a modern pc because it searches so far down the game tree that you'd have to be bobby fischer to beat it? i think it was but it might have been one of the other puzzle games

7th guest was a fmv demo pretending to be a game

11th hour was not really any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

things might have gone differently if good quality video compression was available at the time and runnable on the various systems. because what we got out of it was typically under an hour of unique video if it was high quality or a few hours at low quality on each CD.

and since 90% of the game were relying on the video to hold your interest it was a killer

in addition to the limited cpu power for decompression, you also had to be able to stream the data off a CD-ROM

a typical CD-equipped computer at the time had a 2x pio-4 cd drive; something just a year or two older would have a proprietary matsushita or similar. no atapi dma magic to take load off the host cpu

so you had to fit your video inside of a totally unbuffered 150 kb/s stream that also took like 50% of the CPU cycles just to get the data off the disc

• Locked thread