Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Seriously, Paul's going to be like what, 80 in 2016? I'd think even full on Paultards would be getting worried about his age by then. They could always transition to Rand Paul, but Rand follows the Republican line a bit more closely than his father does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

(I have nothing but sympathy for Hillary, in regards to her semi-involuntary reaction to having a random object thrown at her. It's still a funny dance)
Yeah, even though I like Hillary, throwing random items at people (as long is said object is dodged) is funny slapstick in general. It was funny with Bush, it was funny with Hillary, it's funny in classic Looney Tunes cartoons, it's funny in the Three Stooges, it's just funny in general.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

I wonder who they like

I don't know which is funnier, "Adam Kokesh" or "La Raza Operative Scott Walker"
"La Raza Operative Scott Walker"
"La Raza Operative Marco Rubio"

The greatest part of this is that after Julian Castro's 2012 speech, there was a bit of a conservative attempt to tie Julian Castro to La Raza as well; his mother Maria del Rosario Castro actually was a member, so it wasn't just right wing bullshit. It kinda backfired though, since Castro pretty much embraces his La Raza origins, hell he even says his mother's activism inspired his own political ambitions. It especially backfired in San Antonio, since there are a lot of Hispanics who flat out see his La Raza ties as a good thing; I'm not even Hispanic and I see them as positive as well.:v:

So seeing "La Raza Operative Scott Walker" and "La Raza Operative Marco Rubio" just makes me sad that it's not true; if they really were true left wing La Raza operatives, I'd vote for them.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Guilty Spork posted:

I've lived in Northern California all my life, and being around nothing but white people is really weird and creepy to me. When I hear there are going to be Mexicans everywhere it's like, "Oh, so the rest of the country is going to be more like here? Sounds good."
Change Northern California to San Antonio, and this 100% me.:hfive: San Antonio has literally been Majority Minority since before I was born; the fact that conservatives are scared of something I consider normal, everyday life is endlessly amusing to me. It's like being scared of grass growing or the sky being blue.

Mineaiki posted:

How is the confidence thing different from white supremacy? Serious question. "Things are bad because whites are allowing the foreign hordes to ruin our country! Rise up against white genocide!"
I posted this a little while back in the Political Cartoons thread, but here, enjoy Pat Buchanan lamenting the death of White America. Oh, and bonus points for using literal white supremacist language:

Pat Buchanan posted:

Yet the matter cannot be avoided now, for it is on page one. "White Numbers Shrink," was the headline on the lead story in USA Today. "More Whites Dying Than Being Born," blared The Wall Street Journal. What does this mean? In demographic terms, more white Americans died in 2012 than were born. Never before -- not during the Civil War bloodletting, not during the influenza epidemic after World War I, not during the Great Depression and birth dearth of the 1930s -- has this happened.

In ethnic terms, it means that Americans whose forebears came from Great Britain, Ireland and Germany, Southern and Eastern Europe -- the European tribes of North America -- have begun to die. The demographic winter of white America is at hand, even as it began years ago for the native-born of old Europe. In political terms, this is depressing news for the Republican Party. For nearly 90 percent of all Republican votes in presidential elections are provided by Americans of European descent.

anonumos posted:

"Resentful whites". What a crock of poo poo. Call me a race traitor, but I welcome growing diversity. The implication that 'whites' will react negatively to a diverse country is rather insulting.
I will admit, I absolutely cannot understand the right's fear of multiculturalism. I loving love multiculturalism, hell, right now San Antonio's in the middle of our annual two week Fiesta party.

Now doesn't that look like fun? Who could be scared of that?:)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Biff Rockgroin posted:

You know, there's something I've always wondered: why don't the liberals have any batshit insane media figures like fox news does?

The Rokstar posted:

I base this on the fact that I can't loving stand Ed Schultz, who is probably the closest thing the left has to this.
It's funny, this is sort of why I like Ed Schultz, he's willing to actually yell at the Republicans and loudly call them out on their bullshit. It's nice to hear someone basically yell "gently caress You" at Republicans, just because there are so few Democrats willing to do that.

There are two caveats though: number one is that Ed Schultz is usually correct, and not just shouting untrue bullshit like Republicans do, and number two is that I can usually only enjoy him in small doses or when I'm really pissed about something Republicans have done. I can't imagine listening to someone like Schultz 8 or 10 hours a day every day, I'd go insane. Listening to Schultz is sort of like a release button when I want to vent a bit, I can't imagine being in that angry, furious mindset for days or weeks at a time.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 28, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FaustianQ posted:

Yes Rush, clearly Kerry is only a sock puppet of Obama and wasn't picked for the job because he was qualified. The rest of it is mired in enough stupid to prevent the critical thought necessary to see it's mere diplomatic pressure to get the situation resolved. Nope, it's the loving end times, a dog-whistle to let all the Arabic nations know the "plan" is in action.
It will never stop amusing/scaring me that this is literally what is behind some of the more extreme Republican support for Israel. The fact that Israel is literally "bait for the Jesus trap" (as some poster so excellently put it) until Jesus is back, then it's purpose is to be wiped off the map is so creepily blasphemous for anyone claiming to be any strain of Christian.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 29, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

anonumos posted:

Fundamentalist American Christians (especially Baptists) believe that they can hurry the return of Christ by supporting Israel, unconditionally, and therefore see the Return, the Trump, and their own fleshy ascendance to heaven. Their entire goal is to be alive when Jesus returns, to never lie in the cold ground, and to have a special place in heaven by being an agent of the Second Coming.
This is the blasphemous part I was getting at earlier. Even taking way too many of their beliefs at face value, the fact that they think they can force God's hand by their actions is just completely insane.:wtc:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So, Sterling lost the Clippers.

Who's yet to record a show, Rush and Hannity? I imagine that'll be a focus.
loving awesome. Oh here we go!

CNN (Yeah, yeah CNN) posted:

The National Basketball Association has banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling from basketball for life and fined him $2.5 million racist remarks attributed to him in recordings posted online, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Republicans posted:

Ask him if he would let you record him doing a Levin rant.
Please do this, hearing the actual Master Shake doing a Levin rant would be completely loving hilarious.

On parent-chat, I'm starting to realize how lucky I am, both of my parents are pretty left-wing Democrats. My dad's got a little bit of that old-school "Rap music sucks, it's not even music!:argh:" mindset, but that's usually followed by nostalgia for 70's rock music and Jimi Hendrix, so who knows.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

7thBatallion posted:

I'm generally put in the prepper category. I got a backpack in case I have to abandon my home, a pack to get me home, water filtration, and basic cooking and sanitization equipment.

I live in earthquake country, just north of Seattle. I don't own a single gun. I loving hate them.

I don't know a single person that has an earthquake kit. Therefore I am a prepper in their minds. I hate it.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a term for people like you:
"Responsible Adult"
"Preppers" are the guys who are prepared for the full-out collapse of the Government, a Chinese invasion, the coming race war, the Mayan 2012 apocalypse, really, just pick an apocalypse scenario that's gotta be coming any day now.

The difference between you and a "prepper" is that you're prepared for a natural disaster, which has a reasonable chance of actually happening, especially since you said you live in earthquake country. Also, your plan is to survive until (Governmental!) relief can be sent in and eventually get back to your normal life. That idea is complete anathema to "preppers".

I'll be blunt, I've never understood the "prepper" mindset, because I wouldn't want to survive an apocalypse that has no chance of a return to "normal life". You can rebuild after an earthquake, but not after the things these guys fantasize about happening.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

kik2dagroin posted:

Jesus loving Christ this isn't that hard: As America becomes less white the two groups mentioned in the article advocate for policies such that the population of teachers reflects our less white population. This basically means that if you were to line up the faculty of the school at random, the line of people would look like an even mix of every color of human there is on the planet. Somehow this concept causes Limbaugh to interpret the article as advocating for segregation, much like how his mind wanders to eugenics when talking about the 'Obamacare genetic lottery' :godwinning:
So, Elementary School Middle School High School College every year of school I can remember in San Antonio?:v: No wonder it scares the poo poo out of Rush, not only is that study acknowledging that America is getting less white, it thinks that the school teaching staff should reflect that change. Imagine the horror of all those (white) children being taught by Black or Hispanic teachers, I know I was never the same after having Hispanic teachers from Pre-K to the second grade. (Mostly because all of them were awesome and really encouraged me to do lots of cool things and read a lot of books.)

Sidenote: I still can't get over the fact that normal, everyday life in San Antonio is apparently a horrifying hellscape to Republicans. This fills me with endless amusement. It's not that bad guys, multicuturalism is really cool.:3:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 6, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

There's also the issue of terrestrial radio itself losing huge shares of its market and influence, given the way that people now listen to streaming services and their mp3 collections and podcast in their car. I can't imagine anyone under the age of 35 listening to radio if they could at all avoid it.
I listen to the radio mainly because I'm usually only in my car for about a half hour or less; Sirius XM isn't worth it to me for that little time, and my car is old enough that a USB port would have to added aftermarket; again, not worth it. Even so, radio to me is rock music, and if a station isn't playing music, I change to another one that is, and if that fails, I put on a CD. I'll admit, I like the random jukebox nature of radio stations, as opposed to knowing what will play when I put on a CD.

I rely on this thread to filter Rush, Hannity, et al into tiny bite-sized chunks, I tried listening myself and I had to stop after five minutes and put on very loud rock music; I don't know how some of you in this thread can listen to them repeatedly and/or for hours at a time. Kudos to all of you who do so and report on what they're saying, I certainly couldn't do it myself.:tipshat:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bill Nye is an effective advocate because he's spent his entire adult life in the media, S.E. Cupp should know better than to play that kind of game with a guy who was talking about science on television when she was still wearing pigtails.
Honestly, Bill Nye is basically the best person to explain climate change, since almost everyone under 30 remembers watching "Bill Nye the Science Guy" in school or on TV. Nye has the advantage of popularity, and he is definitely using it, whether it's debating against S.E. Cupp on climate change, calling out truth is in the middle bullshit, or going against Ken Ham in a creationist "debate". For that last one, you "win" a creationist debate by being the better speaker/presenter and being more charismatic, and the consensus is that Nye's presentation was a hell of a lot better than Ham's was. Nye is also really good at explaining science to kids, which is essentially what he was doing in that debate.:v:

Also, CNN just straight-up calls him "The Science Guy".:allears:

agarjogger posted:

Hmm, this makes the Kingdom of God out to be a pretty lovely organization to be a part of. Christian Dominion worst dominion. Or none of these motherfuckers believe a word of their own religion, and actually challenge the authority of god more than I could ever hope to as a secular atheist.
Nah, there's a Dominion that's slightly worse than the Christian Dominion is. Although they're both theocratic institutions who see it as their sacred duty to defeat all who stand against them, by force if necessary. Oh and throw in a little worship of "the Founders" who are treated as gods and can do no wrong.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

They're all doing it today, even "left wing media outlets" like CNN. I'm not sure what their point is. I guess if the guy cracked and ran out into the desert and deserted his post, he wasn't worth being rescued? Is that right? I guess he should just be left to rot? Or shot in the street?

But then again, like someone else posted, 4 years ago Palin was all "where's Obama and why won't he rescue this brave man?" It really is, at this stage, Obama does a thing, here's why it sucks and is bad. They criticize him for all the wrong reasons. They think the left is enamored with him but every hard liberal I know is luke-warm at best and wish he were MORE liberal.

Then they say the left did the same thing to Bush even though Congress gave him every thing he wanted except for privatizing Social Security (thank God).

The gently caress is going on here? Their quotes are RIGHT THERE FOR EVERYONE TO READ and half the country worships at the altar of their hypocrisy.
This really started to irritate the poo poo out of me this morning. Especially since this forum informed me that the 5 guys we traded are really just low/mid-level politicians that we took prisoner at the beginning of the invasion, and that we were about to release them anyway.

I now have the tiniest appreciation for how easy it is to just mindlessly use patriotism as an attack, I'd love to see the reaction to someone yelling "So we should have just left him with the Taliban? You don't supports the troops, you must hate America!":911:

It's mindless, it ignores all the nuance in the situation, it attacks the person rather than the issue, and it's a textbook attack the right uses, but goddamn would it be fun watching them scramble in response.:allears:

E: I really want the right to just go full-on impeachment over this since there's actually a tiny grain of truth they can charge Obama with (not letting congress know 30 days in advance) and the base really really wants to impeach Obama for being black Benghazi something, anything.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 4, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Has there been any new word on the Bundy situation, out of curiosity?
Nope, he's still dead, rear end in a top hat got the electric chair back in 1989.:fuckoff:

Oh you mean Cliven Bundy.:v:
Well, he apparently owes more fees to feds than all other U.S. ranchers combined, totaling more than $1,000,000, as opposed to the combined total of $237,000 owed by the 458 other ranchers.:pwn:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wasn't the isolationist movement from c. 1917 up until 1941 very conservative, anyway? You'd figure Roosevelt would have had to bypass them in order to, you know, not let Hitler run roughshod over Europe.
Yes it was. It was like looking into a parallel universe looking at some of Seuss's cartoons (yes the famous Dr. Seuss, the Political Cartoons thread is awesome for stuff like this) and seeing Republicans supporting isolationism, while Seuss advocated support for Lend-Lease, and an end to isolationism and entry into World War II.

Also:

70 loving years later, and these Seuss cartoons are just as relevant today.:smith:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sharkie posted:

Is there not a finer grain demographics report? What's the reasoning behind grouping a fresh college grad in with his dad who's really interested in cholesterol medication?
25-54, (or 18-49, however the gently caress you break it up) is used as the mark for disposable cash; TVIV can give you a better insight, but that's the gist. Like most things TV related it's an outdated metric, but there's massive feet dragging because the current method has been very profitable for a very long time, and change is hard.

For Fox it's actually total viewers that matters more (usually total viewers matter very little to not at all, demo is "king"), since old people are their intended audience, hence all the old person ads. Fox's average viewer is 68, and for Bill O’Reilly's show it's 72.

Also Toonami at 2 AM 3 AM 5 AM the entire time it's on beats all of the cable channels in that same demo with an average age of 22, which is funny to me.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 10, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Spacedad posted:

I know it's nothing new, it's just both hilarious & disturbing to see such blatantly willful ignorance on parade regardless.

Also, "thank goodness we didn't let godless heathen paleontologists get their hands on this fossilized skeleton, and our Quiverfull pedophile was there to to save the day."
Ah the Quiverfull guys assholes, I love a dogma that's literally "we have to out-breed the minorities", and doubly so when one of the members is such an irredeemable shitbag. I'm happy to know that I will never run into one of these guys in San Antonio, given that my city is a post-apocalyptic hellscape by Quiverfull standards since it's been majority-minority for at least 20 years.:allears:

...Motherfucker. Get the gently caress out of my city you assholes! Joke's on them at least, there's no way San Antonio's staying anything but majority Hispanic and Democrat for the foreseeable future. Thank god.:sweatdrop:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Time to read Zinn posted:

How influential is she really? Paul Ryan, the Koch Bros. maybe, some start-up people? And how "Randian" are those "Randians", because it probably didn't take Atlas Shrugged to convince any of those people that welfare makes people lazy.
Are you trolling or something? Paul Ryan was the goddamn Vice Presidential candidate for Romney and the Republicans in 2012 (which means he was two steps away from leading the goddamn country), and even after losing he still has far more pull than he should as a budget wonk wanker that the Beltway loves. And three minutes of Googling gets you this giant loving web of money that the Koch brothers spent on politics in 2012.

gently caress, and that's just what's findable, I assume there's a hell of a lot more to that web that's been buried through various means of subterfuge.

You have to be trolling, but if you actually didn't know, welcome to "Money in Politics: you can probably trace it back to the Koch brothers". If this is depressing to learn/think about, feel free to drinkchat in the new D&D general chat thread.:cheers:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

psychic chasms posted:

If today's latest installment of scotusghazi has you down, just pop over to the National Review's Facebook page for some knee-slappers courtesy of their new Dees-esque photoshop pal:

Gotta admit this one is pretty fresh, though.
It's always interesting to reverse search cropped or photoshopped images to find their origin. My Google-fu finds that it's this image:

Which was posted on Flickr back on August 28th, 2009 with the title "ms-13-mexican-gang-los-angeles".

Please note the "Los Angeles" part, because that didn't stop the photo from being used in a scare article this month about Mexican gang members possibly coming into this country. Protip: You guys missed the boat, they've been here for at least four years now you fuckheads (and that's assuming they're not citizens, but it's not like the right cares about that distinction).

Also those guys are not the children crossing the border, but you can't fearmonger very well if you use an actual picture like this:

Side note: If you can frame this issue in a Republican mindset, it is possible to change someone's opinion about this, it actually worked once for me: "God drat it they're risking everything to come to this country and make a life for themselves, that's that can-do American spirit that makes this the greatest loving country on earth. So welcome to America, we're a nation of immigrants; start teaching your kids English and apply for your Green Card/Citizenship as soon as you can, and enjoy your time here."

It's not just Rush who can spin stuff.:smug: Disclaimer: This may only work in Hispanic Majority areas like San Antonio where Hispanics aren't seen as "scary". Also you have to acquiesce to the "learn English" talking point.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 1, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kenzie posted:

I guess he thinks that diseases from these immigrants are going to destroy the White Race like what happened to the American natives. "Do you realize what's going to happen when your daughter comes home with her head crawling with lice?!" He followed this up by saying "I know you're going to call me a racist, or a this-ist, or a that-ist, but you're wrong. I'm not any kind of 'ist'. I'm an epidemiologist. I'm an epidemiologist by training. :smug:"
How the gently caress are head lice related to "them immigrants"? Head lice pop up in basically every school across the country, and if they can find a new host they will happily move in. Lice don't give a gently caress about your gender, race, ethnicity, age, or anything else, they just want your goddamn blood for nutrients.

gently caress, I thought head lice was one of those "everyone has to deal with it at least once in their childhood" sort of things, I remember I had lice once some year in Elementary School, along with a shitload of other kids.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Hunters like that always try to argue that they should be able to do this because they're seeking the challenge of hunting more dangerous and clever prey. They see the challenge of it as an end to itself, despite the meat being inedible and the skin difficult to do anything with. Of course, they could make hunting harder by using knives or traps and bare hands only instead of guns, but they've set the precedent that the correct way to increase the challenge of a hunt is to go after a smarter and better armed animal.

ReidRansom posted:

Poor rednecks who do crazy poo poo like hunting wild hogs with knives are far more impressive.
This, to a loving T. If you want to make a hunt harder, hunt something with a knife, not a gun. Hunting with a non-ranged weapon means you can't just sit somewhere safe, you have to go into real danger to kill something. There is basically no way for an animal to fight back against something from 40-50 feet away other than hoping you miss, but it can sure as hell hurt or kill you from three feet away.

Sidenote: Hunting with a knife does mean that the animal will suffer more if you just wound it and it gets away, sometimes requiring an actual hunter to take it out later. That was something my great-uncle had to deal with a few times on his ranch with amateur hunters.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

We are a Christian Nation:

The Treaty of Tripoli posted:

The Treaty of Tripoli was the first treaty concluded between the United States of America and Tripolitania, signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796, and at Algiers (for a third-party witness) on January 3, 1797. It was submitted to the Senate by President John Adams, receiving ratification unanimously from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797, and signed by Adams, taking effect as the law of the land on June 10, 1797.

Article 11: As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
I loving love that there is an ironclad, easily verifiable 30 second :fuckoff: to the "America is a Christian Nation" bullshit that is signed by President John Adams, one of the "Founding Fathers" himself.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 23, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

PeterWeller posted:

Your co-worker is repeating an ancient aphorism that predates the existence of "Americans."
Hey now, the Native Americans were here at least 20,000 years ago, and that predates the English language by a long shot.:colbert: Admittedly Native Americans weren't considered "Americans" until 1924, and really 1975 at best, but still. Oh wait, by "Americans" you mean those goddamn Pilgrim anchor baby "Americans".:v:

I will never stop using "Pilgrim anchor babies", it is the greatest ironic thing ever.:haw:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wow, I had no idea the "war on whites" was an actual GOP talking point making all the official rounds. I thought that was some Rush Limbaugh poo poo he made up on the spot.
Ooh, does that mean I get to be a Benedict Arnold? My voting record is already pretty much indistinguishable from most of the Hispanics that live in San Antonio.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dr Christmas posted:

Marijauna only turns you into a lazy slacker if you're white. If you're a black person on marijuana, it turns you into a ravening berserker.
Nah, to be a true berserker you need some Amanita muscaria. Only then can you fight with the true crazed rage of the Norse Vikings! Oh, and you should preferably be shirtless too. And armed with a giant axe that spins.:black101:

:hfive: to anyone who gets the reference.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

RadicalR posted:

I find this amusing, if not petty.
It is indeed petty as gently caress. It is also hilarious.:v:

Also holy poo poo Jerry Maren (the Munchkin who handed Dorothy a lollipop during the song) is actually still alive at 94 years old. That's amazing.

Palin did the Ice Bucket challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Swr-vs9mqo
She challenged Hillary and Mccain
Okay, I still don't like her, but I will give her props for going through with it. Having a big bucket of ice water dumped on you is not pleasant, so kudos for her doing it. I really hope Hillary and McCain do it too.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

How do you get anything done as a country?
Like others have said, right now we don't. This situation will not improve until at least 2016 (depending on just how long Hillary's coat-tails are) and may take until 2018 or 2020 (or even longer) to fix. It really is amazing just how much the right hates Obama, it would be funny if it wasn't causing so much damage to the country and even the rest of the world.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The right literally held the world economy hostage to try and get their way over Obamacare.
You know, like this right here. And we might even be going for another government shutdown.

Trust me, we hate this poo poo too, but the Republicans have lots of money and a whole fact-free news bubble on their side, and it is really loving hard to beat that.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Xibanya posted:

I had a Bulgarian friend. We went to the same university in Madrid for a year and then he transferred to an American school (NYU). He was so pissed off after a few years in the states - he said America was too socialist and too full of nonwhite people (lol racist Eastern European). I asked him where he'd rather live instead but he didn't have an answer.

Poor Bulgarian, I guess he'll just have to settle for the richest whitest most capitalist country in the western world :qq:

Winter Stormer posted:

He was aware that there was more to America than just New York, right? Two weeks in North Dakota and I didn't see a single nonwhite person.
Yeah, that's basically true for pretty much any state east of the Mississippi River and north of Oklahoma (not including California or Nevada), assuming you stay off the various Native American reservations. Also good, get the gently caress out of America if you don't like all the non-white people here.:colbert:

On a side note, growing up in San Antonio led to a rather funny family moment last vacation: we realized we felt more at home in the Navajo Nation surrounded by Native Americans than we did in Utah surrounded by white people. I guess that's what growing up/living in a majority Hispanic neighborhood does to you.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

Had the right ever trashed daniel inouye before?

That would be like the ULTIMATE rear end in a top hat move.
I was going to do a little digging myself, but I saw that ToxicSlurpee already did some searching, so good enough.

Also I found out that this exists, which is much cooler than anything Freep could say about Daniel Inouye:
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/inouye.html

From what I can tell, that's not too much of an exaggeration of what actually happened; Inouye was loving awesome.:allears::getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 21, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What exactly is Biblically correct sex? loving your siblings?
Nah, it's loving your dad.

quote:

Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.
I forget where I read this, but I remember reading an analysis that said that this wasn't meant to be historical, it was just the author of that part of Genesis taking a potshot at the Moabites and Ammonites. Basically, insulting the people you hate by calling them a bunch of inbred fucks has existed for at least 3000 years, probably even more.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 9, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Al Jazeera is the best news source.

Let that sink in
Don't really see the problem here, Al Jazeera English is awesome.:colbert:

Once you get past the fact that Al Jazeera sounds :supaburn:Middle Eastern:supaburn: (because it is:v:) there's nothing really odd about the fact that a news channel that doesn't give a poo poo about dumbing down the news to be "acceptable" to delicate Western sensibilities (read: only allows "acceptable" stories and viewpoints) and gives a non-Western perspective to major news stories is the best news channel.

Seriously, seeing a livecast from a Palestinian hospital during the last flareup slaughter was astonishing and depressing as all gently caress, especially when compared to every other news channel. I'd love to see what would happen if every news channel was replaced by a livestream of Al Jazeera English for a month (or even a week); the chaos it would cause when all the standard talking points are hosed up by the reality on the ground would be amazing to watch.:getin:

AsInHowe posted:

Everything and everyone is as sugary as humanly possible. Every adult is always portrayed as centered around their spouse and family, almost exclusively (unless they are a pastor or Small-Town Occupation). No problems ever come up that a small child could not solve. Everyone talks as if they are talking to a small child, no matter what the age.

7th Heaven is basically the one time this kind of crap made it onto regular television. There is an absolute ton of this stuff though, primarily found in the DVD section of big-box national Christian bookstores, right next to Mike Huckabee and Ben Carson books.
The disparity between the fake, cheery reality of 7th Heaven and the horrible, depressing hell of Prester John's firsthand accounts of what growing up in an ACE "school" was like is incredible for the tonal whiplash between the two. Seriously, all the happy smiling people on TV and the misery and despair of reality is amazing since the Evangelicals think they're one and the same, when they're actually the complete opposite.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Prester John posted:

I hope on this one that I am just running with this all a bit too far. But if this Ebola outbreak had happened when I was a kid? Wouldn't have been a shred of doubt that it was now the Tribulation. We have two generations now fully raised believing they were going to witness the end times and be God's warriors. While the numbers of Evangelicals have decreased in absolute terms, much like Republicans and the Tea Party, the number and power of the extremists has increased dramatically over the past 15 years.
I'm torn, normally I'd say you're just worried about nothing, but like was just mentioned I also know that you've experienced the worst of Evangelical extremism firsthand, and that you know exactly how those people tick.

If you end up being right, it would be terrifying and saddening, but also rather entertaining watching yet another "the Apocalypse is coming any day now guys, for real this time". After all, we had an Apocalypse in 2011 just like Harold Camping said, didn't we?:v:

Either way, I'm just glad you're out the Evangelical hell bubble, so you can watch from the sidelines rather than in the middle.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Oh look he explained his poo poo for brains
So where does the massive death due to diseases brought by Europeans come in? (A lot of which wasn't even intentional, people just didn't know poo poo about bacteria/viruses back then, and the Natives had no immunity.)

:stare:
They're rough estimates, but still, holy poo poo. And that's mostly before you get to the part where they started killing the natives on purpose.:stare:

Seriously, I wonder just how different history would be if the Native Americans had had immunity to European diseases, or if even the reverse had happened; imagine Columbus bringing something back to Europe that had the killing power of a second black plague.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

lurker1981 posted:

Excellent news!

The left wing wants to regulate right wing media
:thumbsup:

I hope they make it so that only Democrats can put ads on the internet. :devil:

Now if only they can get rid of websites like the westboro baptist church's site, chimpout, and wunderground.com (because they support terrorism, and I'm pretty sure the DNC wouldn't actually want the proletarians to rise up in revolution against them).
Now why would they get rid of wunderground.com, it's a very useful site; it's what my dad uses to check the weather. No, seriously, it's literally a weather site.

Not sure why they decided to go with the same name as the Weather Underground movement (besides the pun/name joke), but :shrug:.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 25, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Cpt.Americant posted:

But a US Citizen at birth, and therefore is as qualifies as McCain.
Yeah as funny as it's going to be watching the birthers break their necks explaining how Cruz is eligible* while Obama isn't wasn't, it's not really going to be a real issue, since Cruz is "one of us/one of the good ones".

*There is a small but notable contingent that says Cruz isn't eligible, and are at least consistent on the issue, and there's also a small but notable contingent that says "Cruz isn't eligible, but gently caress it, Obama got in so who cares it doesn't really matter anymore".

All of them are still dumb as hell.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 11, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

It's become more clear recently just how racist Levin is. He was lamenting the fact that white people would be less than 50% of the population in the future.

A few months back he was also defending the fact that his own bullshit assumptions about the Ferguson stuff were actually the truth. Which is to say that he assumed the kid was a thug because he was black. Then later he heard some rumors about how he totally tried to grab the cop's gun through the cruiser window after holding up a liquor store, and so therefore it's cool that he totally jumped to the conclusion that Brown was causing trouble because he was black.

He's also been a lot less careful recently when talking about "illegals." He used to put in caveats talking about how he wasn't denigrating all of them, but more recently he's just letting it fly about how "they're carrying diseases we've never seen before that can infect your children" and "they're illiterate in their own language!"
It seems like this is popping up more and more among the right wing guys, and with a lot less subtlety too. I can think of Pat Buchanan, Kris Kobach, Charles Murray, and now Mark Levin as four guys aren't even bothering to cloak it in coded language, it's just straight-up "oh god the minorities are gonna outbreed us and take over, it's the end of white America (aka the only real America), everybody panic". I'm honestly a little shocked at just how blatant it's becoming; they're not even bothering with the plausible dependability, and it's like super easy/obvious to point out the "14 words" parallels there.

On the plus side, I get to constantly laugh at people who are scared of my everyday life, and enjoy the fact they would run away screaming if they ever came near my city. I welcome the rest of the US becoming a giant version of San Antonio, then maybe I won't feel so out of place when I go on vacation. (Seriously, I felt more at home in the Navajo Nation with Native Americans than I did in Utah surrounded by white people. It's amazing how growing up in a certain place changes/skews your perception as to what's "normal".)

Ninjasaurus posted:

As a white person, I fully support my ethnicity being bred out of existence so the USA can become browner and browner.:getin:
I wonder if I should get in on the right-wing book racket and write a book like "Surviving the Racial Apocalypse: Learning to live as a white person in a majority-minority city/nation". (The text would be: "Just live your goddamn life and don't worry about it, enjoy Fiesta and the local food." repeated over and over for 200 pages.)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 26, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

i am harry posted:

This has been driving me crazy since I first became aware of it as a child, and I desperately want Dems to just scream this poo poo at them and then start throwing chairs.
Same. It's why I'm just fine throwing the great Ronald Reagan Ronnie Raygun at anyone bitching about "illegals". Yeah there's a few differences between then and now, but if Republicans aren't even going to bother distinguishing between "Mexicans" and Hondurans fleeing their country then why should I bother with even smaller distinctions?

Forgall posted:

Russians don't consider Chechens to be white.
But they're from the Caucasus mountain, they're literally Caucasian.

1stGear posted:

Its almost like race is a bullshit social construct primarily used to arbitrarily divide people.
Oh, right. In that case let's use the real racial determination method: Chechens pass the paper bag test, so they're white.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

I literally heard a local talk show host on WNIR declare (and partially agree with a caller) that there is going to be a "Race War".

What.

The.

gently caress.
There wasn't a race war in the 1960's when civil rights was passed. There wasn't a race war when Manson tried to provoke one (not that he actually could have provoked one). There wasn't one in 2008 when Obama was elected. Republicans, please say it with me now: "Calm the gently caress down, a race war is not going to happen."

Now if a race war does happen, where should post my defection notice? Cause I'm probably gonna throw my lot in with the Hispanics and eventually enjoy my new life/citizenship in Aztlán.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 2, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Aw come on I already made fun of Kobach in the immigration thread.:v: Go find me a new Republican who doesn't even bother to hide the fact that he's completely loving terrified of the US becoming Majority-Minority (and terrified of the world permanently losing the beauty of Aryan white women).

Also, I'd still love to know when this "Hispanic ethnic cleansing" is supposed to happen, given that I've literally lived in majority Hispanic neighborhoods my entire life and don't plan to leave anytime soon. I'm proving you wrong just by existing and living my everyday life, Kris.:colbert:

E:
I accept your offer of racist Ron Paul. His terror and craziness feeds me.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 2, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Former NYPD officer on CNN saying that the "I can't breathe" comments are nonsense because you would need to breathe in order to say that in the first place. Seems like sound logic to me.
To kill this idea/talking point/"defense" from the get-go (and because people sometimes need to have things explained to them on a very simple level to fully grasp them):

You can say the words "I can't breathe" using the air that's already in your lungs, while at the same being unable to pull more air into your lungs. (You know, breathe.) Similar situation: you can exhale underwater, but you can't get any new air to replace this lost air. If you have no air coming into your lungs, you suffocate and die.

This has been Breathing 101, if you have any questions please ask an expert (which is apparently every person on earth except for a few NYPD officers).

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Probably because Garner was wrestled to the ground and choked out over petty tax evasion by selling loose cigarettes. They want to argue that he deserved it, but another part of them believes that nobody should ever be punished for avoiding taxes.

^^or they're being dishonest and shedding crocodile tears, who knows.
You know, at this point I'll take whatever loving support we can get. If focusing on the "taxes" part of this is the only way to get something to actually happen to the cop then gently caress it, whatever works.