Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I read the first 13 pages of the thread (holy poo poo what a great OP), then skipped ahead to page 160. Did anything exciting happen between September 2013 and April 2016 that I should know about? Last time I was at WDW was December 2009, for reference.

Braksgirl, is your email address still the one you posted in the first dozen pages of the thread? I would like to contact you to see what you can put together for my group. I am the prime mover of this trip (which includes two DVC members and one ultra-planner who at one point probably knew more about the parks than most cast members), but I live in Tokyo and can't really be bothered to keep an eye out on a daily basis for deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Disneyland is amazing and it should go without saying what my restaurant recommendation is

As long as your username never changes :v:

Edit: Mods, petition to change BlueBayou's name to McDonald's. Thanks in advance.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Friend of a friend of a friend posted a photo online of herself wearing a Dopey 2017 medal. Didn't people say the half marathon was canceled this year due to lightning? How could she have run all four events?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'll be a dissenting voice. I thought Soarin was less entertaining than the pre-show with Patrick Warburton. The curvature of the screen was really obvious, especially during the Paris scene with the Eiffel Tower. Maybe that's attributable to where I was sitting, at the far left of the auditorium, but it was a serious detraction from the ride. And while this may be me just being a crotchety 31-year-old man, I thought the sound was out of balance: the noise at the jumps between scenes was much louder than it needed to be, perhaps to induce flinching/blinking and hide the transitions to the next scene.

When they update it next time, I really hope they do what someone else suggested and take the riders on a tour of various Disney kingdoms.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 15, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Blaze Pizza looks great, and since we're trying to not break the bank on this trip (we have 3 others planned for this year, at least) this is probably where we'll end up going.

You have annual passes, right? :stonklol:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Get a Dole Whip. And a Minnie's Bakery cookie. And a Mickey ice cream bar.

And diabetes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Three table service places in the parks. Mythos (which is okay, not great), Lombard's Seafood (which is so very very bad), and Finnegans Pub (which is pretty great)

I was extremely unimpressed by Mythos when I visited in 2013. How did it win "best theme park restaurant" five times (or whatever the number is)? Lack of competition? Drop in quality since its peak?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

prepare for vacation ruinage. frozen fastpasses are harder than loving Mine Train, goddamn.

Seriously? We got both during our trip over Marathon Week, and things were surely more crowded then than they are now. Did we just get hella lucky, or do they offer different numbers of fastpasses at different times of year?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

-We've heard incredibly mixed things about the food at the parks, and coming from a family of picky eaters we're wary of dropping any cash on food once in. Is there any recommendations of places to eat/places to avoid? Ditto for Universal.

-Speaking of Universal, we're likely only spending one day of the five there (depending on how many Disney parks we drop) and are debating getting tickets for both the main park and Islands of Adventure. Is it doable to get a fair bit of Universal done in a day?

I have never been disappointed in the food in the Harry Potter parts of Universal. Both Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron have been quite tasty every time I have been.

If you are only at Universal for one or two days, I highly recommend the express pass upgrade to your tickets. You form a smaller line with other EP holders, and it works on every single attraction except a few in both parks (HP Forbidden Journey, HP Escape from Gringotts, Hogwarts Express spring to mind -- there may have been one or two others I forget). Some Universal properties include a free upgrade to EP for the tickets of anyone staying on-site, so it *may* be worth your time/money to change hotels. Or to book a room and never actually sleep there, simply showing up to check in and activate your express passes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Oh, sweet Jesus, that looks amazing. That's going on my bucket list now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

Really disappointing that Powerline never resurfaced in Disney canon anywhere. Who was his voice/song actor, anyway?

Tevin Campbell

MockTurtle posted:

Live action Powerline concert in featuring Bruno Mars as Powerline. I'd bite. I was/am obsessed with that soundtrack.

Dude had one song -- and no speaking parts -- in the entire movie, right? How could there be a soundtrack of his music?

Edit: but yeah, Bruno Mars does seem like the most natural fit if Disney wanted to put on a Powerline show.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If you are a five-year-old girl, Frozen Ever After is only the best thing about the entire park. I think most posters on Something Awful don't fall into that demographic, though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fejsze posted:

Well I guess that's one way to get a better view

How mature. (Click through to the article)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Or rip ride rock it?

Best ride of the entire Universal complex. I will brook no argument on this point. :colbert:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nbakyfan posted:

Imagineers want the noise and vibrations of the gasoline engines.

Both of which are exceptionally easy to generate while also using an electric motor.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nbakyfan posted:

This would require most likely a complete redesign of the ride vehicle because there are no speakers nor vibration makers. Plus you have to consider that the attraction runs 16-18 hours a day so finding a battery that lasts this long, with the additional electrical load now for speakers and to make vibrations, would be very difficult. And really all you are doing is offsetting emission from the tail pipe of the car to the coal fire or natural gas plant.

I was expecting any sort of overhaul like this to involve a whole bunch of redesign and replacing, yes. I don't have any sort of numbers on-hand, but I wonder what -- if the guide rails were electrified to provide the power, rather than using a battery -- would be the minimum voltage needed to accelerate 200 lbs of car and up to 500 lbs of :btroll: around the track at 3 mph. Speakers don't consume that much energy relative to the energy required to get the car moving, and the motor could be simulated by a set of weighted cams on a single shaft; I'm sure there are other problems, but I am equally sure that imagineers are far cleverer than I am.

Finally, when you're talking about burning fossil fuels, you want the fewest power sources possible. When your plant is huge, it's less expensive (compared against other costs) to install highly effective scrubbers to remove pollutants from the exhaust. There's no way a $50, 24hp engine would ever have as much in the way of environmental protection as a $50M, 24MW coal plant. Thus our conversation about whether the gas fumes were part of Walt's initial vision for the ride. :v:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

the directors/producers being complete lunatics (they've continued to fire for "disloyalty" or drive away several other people after my fiancee and I left

This goes a bit beyond the purview of this thread, but what review mechanisms are there in place to track this kind of behavior? Surely at some point someone with more authority will wonder why the "disloyalty"/turnover rate is so much higher in this group than in any other. Or is this pretty much par for the course with people at this level in Disney?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I have to imagine that Universal has almost recouped its entire Wizarding World renovation investment on wands alone. They're stupidly popular (my family owns three, two of which are the interactive ones...), and Disney would be foolish not to try and cash in on that.

They would also be foolish to limit the interactivity to just the Pandora region of the park. If those banshees are interactive at all.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
'Bout time they got an attraction worth a drat. (Yeah, it was a joke.) My wife has been claiming for a while that Frozen could carry its own themed land, like Pandora gets.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

What was the rumored billion dollar expansion at Epcot? No way a single Tron ride costs as much as Pandora (AK) or Star Wars (HS).

Edit: that Tron ride isn't even at Epcot. :downs:

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 26, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Also why the hell do they send fast pass riders to the left space mountain station so frustrating.

What's the difference between left and right? Or was it more that regular guests on the left get shafted because the right hand side doesn't deal with two streams of riders?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

I got my packet for Disneyland a few days ago. I'm so excited (and I guess also for the wedding beforehand).

Acceptable prioritization, unless the wedding beforehand is yours. If it is, the ranking is still okay if your fiancé(e) agrees with you.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I know that the suits are scared of what will happen to Studios this summer (and probably Epcot too) if this becomes the hit it is now tracking to be. Studios suddenly becomes the park people can skip so that everyone can try the new thing. It's gonna be a ghost town.

Wait, you mean the park where half of the acreage is closed down so they can build Star Wars land might be deserted relative to the parks with (1) Frozen Ever After/World Showcase, (2) Pandora, and (3) Cinderella's goddamn castle? I am shocked, shocked I tell you! :monocle:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Tokyo Disney is a close clone of Magic Kingdom, but with less comprehensible signage on the rides and shops. Tokyo DisneySea, as said above, is unlike anything in Orlando. Highly recommended if you're a Disney fan over here anyway.

Also, I live in Tokyo. Hit me up with a PM if you want a list of things to visit -- when are you coming?

Edit: hello, reading comprehension! If your husband is Japanese, you probably don't need any extra advice on what's worth doing.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh man, if Forbidden Journey stopped in the spider section my niece would seriously pee herself.

As a fellow arachnophobe, I feel for her. I just kept my eyes shut till I felt the ride start moving again. We stopped right in front of Aragog. :gonk:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That's worth reporting to someone. If an entire browser (or even just some versions of it) isn't supported, Disney needs to know about it and fix it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

riskier scares like sliders.

What are those?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

it turns out taking a shoulder banshee to a ren fair is a legitimately good way to pick up chicks.

The odds are good, but the goods are odd, eh?

All this talk about DCA characters talking makes me really want to visit. I've done WDW more times than is healthy for someone who has never lived in FL or an adjacent state, but never made it to southeast California.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Biggz posted:

I ... saw a long queue and decided to get in line to see what it was for...

That is hilariously Disney.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Please, please tell me you intend to time it for the ride photo on Splash Mountain.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Lincoln posted:

It’s noon on Christmas Day, and the MDE app says there’s a 175 minute wait for Seven Dwarfs. Ugh, I don’t get it.

On Christmas Day a few years back at Universal Studios, they were pulling out office staff to help manage crowds. I wound up chatting with an accountant holding a height stick while my wife and daughter went on Jurassic Flyers. Christmas is crazy.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
How many fast passes does this option allow?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I hope Disney doesn’t do the premium tickets like Universal has. I don’t like the idea that only those who can pay more get to do more (I’ve done Universal with Express Passes twice now, and it’s frickin’ awesome, so this isn’t just resentment speaking). It takes planning, yes, but the current fast pass system is open to anyone regardless of how much they spent on their trip. I suppose I wouldn’t mind seeing a premium ticket option that gets you permanent fast pass status. But I sincerely hope Disney retains fast passes in something like their current form.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SOooooo what shoudl I do in Philly!

Lick the Liberty Bell

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

PurpleButterfly posted:

On the subject of photography, on my solo day at MK, I spent 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM (ish) running around on a personal quest to take a particular series of photos of particular spots in the park.

Do you want to elaborate on this? Was this something other people might want to try on their trips?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Can’t be that hidden if Google knows about it:

(But seriously, cool find.)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

Not counting our honeymoon, which was still filled with family obligations

That may be the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to sex as “family obligations”. Your parents/in-laws demanding grandkids soon?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Go to AK about 2 hours before opening. Go directly to Pandora and straight to Flight of Passage. Should be about a 25-45 minute wait.

That’s still 145-165 minutes of waiting. Yeah, it’s better than 280, but I dunno.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Parents got arrested for leaving kids in strollers while they road Splash Mountain, benches turned into hobo beds, etc.

The second of these makes sense. What does the first one have to do with the park being open overnight? Negligent parenting doesn’t have a specific time of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
How in the hell is that possible? If you had the entire property to yourself, you would still spend most of the day walking from attraction to attraction and moving through the queueing areas. And that’s optimized, assuming no other people in the entirety of WDW.