Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't really know, realism?

I don't think that's really a concern with men who fly. Or it shouldn't be.

Although technically Thor should always be 3 point landing (or even 1 point landing) as his hammer is smashing into the ground every time he touches down, since he's really just flinging it and holding on as noted by this highly respected scientist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7eqcPCNyeU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think what I want them to do is have Janet punch Hank. Just haul back and deck him, drop him like a sack of old potatoes. If they play him as a bit of a whiny pacifist it wouldn't be hard to justify, and it'd be an amusing twist.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that people will bitch no matter what they do so they might as well try and make it interesting.

No, because then people will only talk about how "Aha, it's referencing how he hit her in comics". The only winning move is not to play talk about it at all. Sure, people will find out about Pym's sordid past the minute Google auto-completes "Ant-Man beats..." but Iron Man's an ex-alcoholic in comics, the movies never once had an plot about it (well, aside from that time that he got smashed in Iron Man 2), and people love Iron Man now!

It's the same problem comic writers constantly have with the character. Nobody needs to worry about fixing Ant-Man. They just need to write a good Ant-Man story and the rest will fall into place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

S-Alpha posted:

I'll go out and say that DoFP hasn't really caught my attention, but after this, I'm pretty excited to go and see it now.

Yep, same here. Didn't care all that much beyond a mild interest in how they'd make a time travel plot work and how they'd bring (old) Xavier back, but now I'm actually kind of hyped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Wolverine goes back into the past to make Xavier hope again

Even though I liked the trailer, the more I think about it, the more this makes me kind of laugh.

"Xavier, you've got to regain your hope for the future!"
"What happens in the future?"
"Well your friend Erik goes from an extremist to a full-blown terrorist, and then you die when one of your most beloved students turns you to ash. Also you go bald. poo poo, I guess the future does suck!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Can Michele Rodriguez pull off blonde hair?

I can not see that working at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

In the latest news, Hugh Jackman will literally be playing Wolverine forever at this point.

Playing Wolverine forever? Old Man Logan movie confirmed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Every time I look at that Rhino (Rhino-bot? whatever) I can't help but think of Blade Wolf from Metal Gear Rising and the fact that that ammo on his back kinda looks like a tail isn't helping.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Spider-Man 3's issues came from Raimi butting heads with studio exec's not due to the number of villains it had.

I thought the issues were one and the same. Raimi didn't want to do Venom, Sony wanted Venom, so they stuffed Venom into the movie and overcrowded it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

A bit late on this, but this poster looks great and if ASM2 literally was just Metal Gear Rising but Spider-Man, it would be movie of the year.

"Gwen, turn off my Great Responsibility inhibitors"

*maniacal cackling*

"JACK PETER'S BACK"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I see Wonder Woman's intro (and any other cameos they try to cram in this thing) going like the Justice League cartoon's premiere. Everybody kinda shows up with very little introduction, Batman and Superman are just like "okay, whatever" and just accept their presence (or in the case of Hawkgirl, pretend they've always known her), and then future episodes/movies in this case flesh out the characters on solo adventures.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Then Marvel will win. Cause Then Fox and Sony will stop making Super Hero Movies. Rights revert back to Marvel and we finally get the full crazy Marvel Movie Super Hero Event.

Pyrrhic victory. I do think way too many movies are coming out way too fast and there's gonna be a superhero movie burnout pretty soon at this rate.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Are you saying Idris Elba as James Bond as Captain Britain is wrong?

I would love to see Elba go around playing Captain Britain in a Sean Connery voice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

The only problem with Elba as Captain Britain is who plays Union Jack?

Donald Glover. Maximize fanboy tears.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If Sony ever lets the rights to Spider-Man lapse go back to Marvel he will become the Marvel cinematic universe version of the Sentry as everyone starts talking about "that spider-guy in New York" like he's been there the whole time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

He was an Iron-Man villain when Marvel had the publishing rights. Put that movie cross over in your brain and love it.

There is only one comic book showdown for Godzilla, sir.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

If there is a just and caring god and this movie is successful enough for a sequel, what monster would be introduced first? I wouldn't imagine they'd go with King Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla first, so my guess would be Rodan.

I'd guess Mothra, just because Mothra's pretty recognizable and iconic. Of course, that's based purely on my personal experience of people knowing Mothra better than any other monster.

But I seriously wouldn't rule out a potential sequel using Mechagodzilla first. I mean, it's Mechagodzilla. That's classic, and even if anybody watching has never even seen a Godzilla movie, Mechagodzilla is just so crazy a concept it would for sure rope in moviegoers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Also c'mon Superior Foes film.

Only in our dreams can something so wonderful exist.

Also yeah, saturation point is pretty much here if we're getting a Sinister Six movie and a Spider-Man 4 before there's even a Spidey signed on, while DC crams every last character into Bats v Supes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

If only there was a Hawkeye solo series that might answer this question. One that is critically and commercially acclaimed, even.

Well, he doesn't exactly have a nemesis in said series. Kate has Madame Masque, but all Clint has is the Tracksuit Mafia, and I don't think they could really lead a movie, since superhero flicks usually like to have a big established lead villain from the comics, and Teardrop Eye Mask guy doesn't even have a supervillain name yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought Rudd was already confirmed to be Ant-Man? Oh well. I agree with Pegg in the article; he's too old for the role and Wright should go work with other people besides Pegg. Just because they made good movies together in the past doesn't mean they need to do every movie together.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

He has important work to do. Ultron, kick up the 4d3d3d3. Add sequence Scott Lang.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think Big Hero 6 is going to unironically own because if nothing else, the fact that it's animated will mean that it can be comic book-y as poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Avynte posted:

Any pose they put her in will be argued as sexual objectification.

Dat leather outfit.

Yeah seriously, there is pretty much not a chance of not making a sexy pose in that outfit. If you're gonna argue about how she's objectified, talk about her outfit before the rear end shot.

... Well then again, talk about the rear end shot, because I'm pretty sure "women wear skintight suits in cape comics and that objectifies ladies" has been a pretty known fact for some time now and there's not much else to be said on the "that's bad but no one's really changing anything, huh" front.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 29, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

Steve Blum's Battle Royal.

A 5 hour animated movie featuring at least 10 Wolverines. I like the way you think.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

There is no reason why the Kryptonian thing would take away from her origin. People in Ancient Greece see a bunch of Kryptonians doing poo poo, unable to comprehend aliens, they are now gods of Greek mythology. The Kryptonians become more isolated from humankind for whatever reason, these myths become entrenched in folklore and whatnot. Blam. There you go.
As to whether this actually happens in the movie or is just hype/speculation we will have to wait and see.

Wasn't that (at one point) sort of Marvel's thing with the Asgardians? They were just super-cool aliens and then all the Norse myths were based off of poo poo humans saw them doing? I know nowadays Thor's just a straight-up god, no questions asked.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Whether intentional or not, and it doesn't matter if it is or not, I find Batman and Robin hilarious from start to finish. I love little touches like Batman flying toward Mr. Freeze - jump cut to Mr. Freeze on ground unconsious, Batman standing over his body, does the silliest "bat" pose you have ever seen for the benefit of no one in particular(he's the only one there). A lot of people groan at that Batman credit card, but it sends me into fits of laughter thinking about the logistics of how such a thing works in universe. I love the Mr. Freeze is so crazy he's wearing polar bear pajamas while watching winter cartoons 24/7 when he's at his lair. There's a ton of stuff like that which are just complete oddball choices that I love.

And the music is awesome as I've already said, and the sets are fantastic. Robin motorcycling across skyscrapers and the skyscrapers are also giant gothic statues that are rad as hell.

My favorite part is when Robin falls in some water at Poison Ivy's place and the film literally plays in reverse because someone was in the editing room and thought "poo poo we can't do reshoots now, no one will notice this, right?"

Also cold puns. Always cold puns. I stand by B&R being a bad movie but the cold puns are a wonderful fantastic thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

So it turns out that Michael Douglas is playing Hank Pym.

I guess this makes Paul Rudd into Scott Lang by default?

Now Lang I can get into.

:regd08:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jokes aside though, I guess if Rudd's gonna be Lang and not Pym, I wonder what that means for Age of Ultron? I mean, I guess Tony's gonna make him like everyone theorized. Either that or maybe they brush the dust off of Ultron in the bottom of Pym's abandoned lab and accidentally activate him?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lomzus posted:

Latino Review is reporting that Marvel Studios has been talking to Johnny Depp about being Doctor Strange.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/01/13/marvel-supposedly-talking-to-johnny-depp-for-doctor-strange/

Having the correct facial hair alone does not qualify you to be Sorcerer Supreme. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

That excuse is great because I imagine Stan Lee showing up to various Marvel films and being shooed away, just being left to walk home with the lonely Hulk theme playing and all because he didn't create the character.

"Fine, I'll go make my own superhero movie. With blackjack! And hookers!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Clearly Fox signed Jackman but his veins had too many demands in their contract so they're trying to walk.

Waterhaul posted:

The Wolverine thing is part it's terrible photoshopped like the rest and Jackman should accept that he's old and not juice as much.

He should accept he's old and just make the next time travel flick Old Man Logan.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 27, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Why don't they just split the teams/characters up and have a couple of movies a year? A Louisiana romance Romeo-Juliet type tale with Gambit, Rogue, whatever as a smaller budget movie. A giant extravaganza with the other guys for the summer. A comedy adventure with Dr. Nemesis. Etc.

Because everybody has their own favorite character and if you have a superhero movie without [popular character X], a bunch of people won't care as much, may not buy tickets. Naturally the solution to this problem is to put everybody in every movie as much as possible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I don't like the Turtles, but that Shredder is sick as hell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

For the love of god, nobody tell Cap about body pillows or virtual girlfriends. The guy has easy access to a nuclear arsenal.

As an art major, Steve Rogers is going to be interested in the world of animation, then stumble onto some very unfortunate anime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

Does capt America like Band of Brothers?

He probably sits around while others watch it in Avengers Tower/the SHIELD break room/etc. and makes snide comments about how historically inaccurate it is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from Graviton and Lorieli (in some upcoming episode), the show seems mandated to never EVER under penalty of cancellation EVER use anything from the Marvel universe that isn't referencing a movie that already came out. It's not the core reason why the show is garbage, but it really doesn't help. At least if it was using a bunch of known Marvel characters it could coast by on fanboy wanks like Arrow does.

It's most likely because since Marvel wants to make this whole shared universe thing, but also make movies first and foremost, they want to make sure no character or story gets used on AoS that might preclude that character's appearance in a movie by a different actor later. This shouldn't be a big problem, but nerds/Marvel is weird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

The correct answer is Nic Cage. The correct answer is always Nic Cage.

(or Idris Elba)

Gina Carano or bust :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

It's funny to me to think of Batman and Superman as operating primarily in New Jersey and Kansas/Delaware. It just seems like weird places for two of the most iconic heroes ever to hail from.

I'm pretty sure Metropolis/Gotham are only in those places because they're both really supposed to be NYC, but the DC Universe actually uses the real NYC for stories sometimes (pretty sure that pre-reboot the JSA and Power Girl lived there), so Metropolis and Gotham just get shoved over to nearby states to make sure that they can still be close to where they're "supposed" to be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I think you are underestimating The Vision.

I was gonna say that he couldn't do seduction, but then I remembered that Vision managed to have two kids...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Or just he's trying too hard.

I see. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Y Signal posted:

It really does say something that, as someone who didn't too much care for the first Amazing Spider-Man, I'm pretty excited for this one.

Yeah, I didn't even see the first one just thinking it was too boring looking, (actually caught it on TV the other night though, it was... okay) but the second looks pretty rad and I'm definitely gonna check it out.

• Locked thread