Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

Really love Rimworld but man sometimes it feels intentional how bad things cascade.

Being raided, everybody line up, get ready for the big fight. We are strong and healthy and well equipped, we should be able to wipe them out easily.

> moments before our two armies clash, all of my colonists suddenly get the plague! Now they're just throwing up, and throwing tantrums, and wandering off in a sad daze, and now a coyote is hunting my children, and gently caress now the enemy army is here, one of my colonists is binging on weed...

simulator game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snackula posted:

It's unfair but fun to accuse games of including crafting systems simply because the devs were afraid of someone 'owning' them on Twitter by asking why the rats carry money.

have you never met a rat irl? of course they're carrying money, it's shiny and transmits heat well

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Schubalts posted:

You can also tag materials you need for a specific recipe, and it will highlight the name of any item that breaks down into that material. So you don't need to remember everything, just grab things with the icon.

That takes level 2 of the Scrapper perk, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

That's insane, what if you need them later for a tougher boss fight?

What's that? This is the last boss? But what if there's another form?

It’s FFXII. There are two superbosses (three in the Zodiac Age) and you’ll definitely need those Megalixirs for them when the time comes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Gah, this reminds me of when my fiancee was watching a strategy video for FFX, a game we both played, and I didn't really like but she really loves. It was a 3 hour video listing all the superbosses, and for every single one it listed out all the stats and movesets, strengths and weaknesses, each trick and bit...

...which I can boil down to:
1) This boss has an attack that deals enough damage to surely kill one party member even with maxed stats. Have two characters with auto-phoenix
2) This boss has an attack that hits everyone and deals enough damage to surely wipe the party. Have one character with auto-life
3) This boss has insane defense or a niche vulnerability. Use Wakka's ultimate, which ignores everything and does a shitload of damage.
4) This boss has INTEGER_MAX health. Use Wakka's ultimate since it does a shitload of damage, for 10-45 minutes straight.

Every single boss, bar none, had some combination of those 4 traits (the "really hard" ones had all 4). What an absolute clown show of a boss roster. And it's not like this is some secret niche methodology; with #4 in there you might be fighting a boss for HOURS if you're not using Wakka's ultimate, and with #2, auto-life is both absolutely required and also trivializes the relevant fights. With #1 in there, even if you do the insane "fill out the entire sphere grid on all characters" those attacks will still land and kill your guy, either forcing you to waste someone's turn reviving them, or you could just have an autophoenix equipped and it's trivialized.

FFXII's ultimate bosses were better. They still had fuckloads of health (the most infamous being Yiazmat, of course), but between gambits (the scripted actions mechanic) and actual strategy they were fun fights. Plus, each one is a different challenge: Yiazmat is an endurance battle, Omega Mark XII is a race against time, and the Judges (Zodiac Age exclusive) are loving chaos good luck. (The last one has an equivalent to your strategy point 3, I guess.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

I know this is a basic rear end question but

Why is it called Neverwinter if it's always goddamn Winter?

It’s not always winter there though?

Anyway, it’s because of the river - the river Never which runs through the city never freezes because of the fire primordial (fuckoff big elemental) under the nearby Mount Hotenow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I read it wasn't certain, unless that's changed. I think there was an elf named Never that nearly perished in a huge battle (Never's Winter) but was saved, also because of the harbor that doesn't freeze

The elf Lord Halueth Never is considered the founder. The bit about “Never’s Winter” is considered ambiguously canon - it’s from the Neverwinter Nights 2 video game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pathfinder was pretty much a continuation/upgrade to D&D version 3.5 (an overhaul of is own 3rd edition), so it really was basically the same thing. It's got a second edition now that I've never played, but I imagine it's still in a similar space.

Yeah, the company that makes Pathfinder kept going with it while the company that makes D&D made 4th edition instead. And now there’s D&D 5th edition, and Pathfinder 2e, so they’re growing further apart with time in terms of worldbuilding and rules. The updated version of Pathfinder 2e coming out this fall is supposed to get rid of the remaining D&D rules and ideas, so it’s really more that Pathfinder 1e is the same thing as D&D 3.5.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Y'know, I really don't mind amm when you don't have to carry it and make space for it. Deus Ex system? No. Wolfenstein, DOOM, The Evil Within, and Saints Row? Sure thing.

You say this but there are a surprisingly large amount of ways map design can gently caress with you and your ammo in a good Doom map.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taeke posted:

It's happened to me as well a few times, usually after jumping somewhere the character couldn't reach.

afaict you can just walk up the missing character to the battle and it'll join, which I used to my advantage positioning wise.

you must gather your party before venturing forth

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The world extol, maybe?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vic posted:

It's been like this for 20 years and is now one of the premier features of Bethesda games.

when it breaks, it breaks hard though. like i've seen times they've tried to not do that in a lot of fallout 4 and it just doesn't fuckin work. yeah, creation engine is old and bad but i can't blame them for doing what works in it even if it's awkward.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phigs posted:

I always liked the slower shooters even way back when. I'd take Counter-Strike and Battlefield over Quake and UT any day.

Even when it comes to original Doom I treat it much more like a tactical shooter, using cover and lines of fire, rather than the run and gun game people seem to view it as being.

And soulslikes have gotten worse since DS1 because they got faster.

Doom is very arcade-y in that respect. Depending upon the level layout, enemies and weapons you’ve got, staying behind cover and taking careful shots is the only way to progress. Sometimes that will get you destroyed and you have to run for it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Suleman posted:

Yeah, it's been that way for longer than I've been alive.
The game already has weapons with "does damage on miss" so something like "stuns on hit, slows on miss" might be doable.
4e already made steps towards that direction. Several daily abilities had effects that either worked also on miss or had reduced effects on miss. 5e doesn't have many of those.

you're younger than 23 years? you had an SA account when you were 11? i'm old now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sound design is one thing a lot of games neglect and it’s so important. Properly mixing everything can be very difficult in a medium where you can move around and get closer to something and farther from another thing, but you do have to prioritize what the player needs to hear.

In the original Doom/Doom 2, you can fire a shot, wake a bunch of enemies up, and get an accurate idea of what you’ve just woken up and where just by the sound effects. In a game from 1993.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to conquer Swindon?

Thursday Next and Pickwick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m going to have to take a level in rogue just to get Sleight of Hand on a party member in BG3 because 5e sucks rear end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

Didn't Deus Ex 1 have a "realistic" mode that basically did the same thing? I wanted my headshots to be headshots, so

This got recently posted to the Deus Ex thread recently https://steamcommunity.com/games/dx-revision/announcements/detail/1722000388004993698

Basically, your headshots were never headshots.

Also, now you have to reinstall.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Baldur's Gate 3: Okay this is now three times that I've somehow been locked out of a rejection/'pick a fight' option in a situation that I know I really should have. First Priestess Gut, then Volo wanting to perform an ice pick lobotomy, and now it's Grandma What's-Her-Name. This is more than just a bug.

My best guess is that the developers don't actually expect someone to be curious and asking questions about something they're going to reject afterwards, so they front-load the 'gently caress you say hello to my knife' options, and then just stop providing them after a point even if it's blatantly obvious that I should be saying no to this person, or that there's literally a quest objective around confronting/attacking this person about something else.

Either that, or BG3's writers expect me to be way more okay with blatantly untrustworthy and unqualified attempts to perform eye surgery on me than I am. Because that's the only other common thread here.

You do know there’s a dedicated swap to someone else and start a fight button in the dialogue interface, right? Like it’s on the lower left for me, on PC. They don’t provide one in the dialogue tree at all times because it’s always there. (It’s set up this way so a face can distract people while a rogue looks in their pockets or stabs them.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

You get one chance to say 'No' at the beginning once you've laid down and he unsheathes the needle.

And then another one after he's started. And then another one. One more to make sure you're committed. DJ Khaled voice Another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8IQ3RhlTE

For reference the dedicated "start a fight" button I mentioned is that crossed-swords one. I just tried it in my own game, turns out you don't even need to swap people! It just starts a fight, period.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

very risky blowjob posted:

they should shout "gently caress you" and "suck my dick" and stuff, but like, on any action whatsoever, including healing allies

That’s what playing with Karlach in bg3 is like, yep

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They also made a game called Origins and then immediately made a prequel to it.

Which the prequel doesn't delegitimize, because Origins is the beginning of the Assassins as an organization, and Odyssey is the story of an important ancestor who was a (small-a) assassin.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The worst scoring system is par times, because they're often set by taking a developer's best time and knocking off like 15 seconds or something, often resulting in just garbage times that don't actually match the level at all. Doom suffers from this pretty badly.

Also Vivec gets much easier to navigate as you play the game, both from learning how it's set up and because better ranks in Athletics and Acrobatics make it a giant gymnasium. Don't need to go down if you can jump over!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazil posted:

Thing dragging down Sleeping Dogs is that they never made a sequel

The dogs are sleeping

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

The worst thing about Skyrim to me was how the home-building DLC was ruined by the "decorations" consisting of a bunch of dead rabbits hanging around! "Nice cozy kitchen, how c- JESUS loving CHRIST!"

I can't remember how I got around it, I think I replaced the models with something else.

you mean the night's dinner? that's what those models are there for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If I remember correctly (it’s been at least one decade, maybe two) the immediate prequel to Starsiege, Earthsiege 2, also had Prometheus making it very clear how much he hated humans in the mission briefings/story. Nothing like the human scream machines though, goddamn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

That mod sounds awful. Lethal bed bugs? Caught by sleeping outside? And cured by antibiotics? How is it always the games/mods that attempt to inject "realism" that manage to do the exact opposite and just have nonsense.

The mechanic is actually in unmodded Fallout 4: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Character_condition#Illness

It's likely not from sleeping outside, because sleeping is when the game makes illness checks (so it would appear that you got it from sleeping even though the event that made you sick happens earlier.) Antibiotics can be found or made anywhere. Fallout 4 survival mode is actually considered quite good by many players, it's got just enough extra stuff to make survival mechanics matter without being too much. (A bed bug modded illness that can actually kill you instead of the standard infection which reduces health but can't kill you is a poo poo mod addition though.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

This is either a complaint about Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance, and i dont know which games to blame. Symphony of the Night was the first Metroidvania and it loving nailed it in every sense, a wide range of weapons, abilities and interesting mechanics, then Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance came out and both just feel like such a large step backwards in every way. The areas aren't as interesting, the spell system in Circle of the Moon relied on rare drops that you weren't guaranteed to get even a single card combo all game, the bosses were less interesting... I will give them a pass on audio, because you went from CD to chip tune.

If you took someone who had never heard of these games, and told them to put them in the order of their release after playing them, I would guarantee 9 times out of 10 they would say Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance came before Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow came after.

Remember the system change between Symphony and Circle. Circle absolutely has problems with grinding, but it was mind-blowing back in 2001 or whatever to have a metroidvania like that as a launch title on the GBA. So yeah, less complexity, but on a much less powerful system, with less buttons for control, even. They packed a ton into that little cartridge.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

A game released on consoles and pc should have controller support on pc and when it doesn’t it makes my steam deck sad.

Doesn’t steam/the steam deck provide remapping support for that? Like you can set buttons to be mouse/keyboard inputs?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Not sure whether your friend is wrong or you just misunderstood them but this isn't true. You need to visit the githyanki creche that Lae'zel has been talking about since the very first time you met her, but you never need to pick any of the "reveal the artifact like a dumbass" options. You can just stick to talking about how you need purification.

At least in my game, after purification Lae'zel wanted to go talk to the local commander about how the zaith'isk was tainted. when i got there, the only dialogue options lead to it being revealed i had the artifact, then a fight, then a follow up fight with the inquisitor before vlaakith said hi

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is how mine went, except I just went 'gently caress it' and left because even just fighting the captain and her wolves was too much and reinforcements were coming.

I thought it was stunningly awful that all the dialog options unlocked after trying to use the zaithisk were worse than the others, because they all just led into a fight that I was in no position for. At least the non-zaithisk-related options had the option of 'pretend you're a mercenary about to go look for the artifact' that let me leave peacefully.

The creche is really badly written and possibly buggier than people are aware, it seems.

At least for me it was real obvious the doctor was gonna fight me in the infirmary outside the zaith’isk room so I just had a nice long rest and came back for the actual fight. Reverse murders in the rue morgue, we’re all nice and healthy now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

So weird to see a ton of references pop up to this really recently. Great show though, glad people are discovering it.

One of the episodes in the season that just finished of Lower Decks is "Parth Ferengi's Heart Place.” I kind of just stared slack-jawed at my screen when I saw it. Even for Lower Decks it felt obscure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You trust it because it’s the only thing keeping you from being mind controlled and turned into a slave yourself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

That doesn't swing for me, because the only one backing up the Dream Visitor on this is the Dream Visitor, and I have no reason to believe them. Even the rogue mindflayer doesn't give them credit.

I dunno, maybe I'm just fundamentally not on the same page with Larian RE: how much I should be taking these people at their words, because I definitely don't feel like I've been given appropriate room to express that I don't believe them and need a bit more evidence than 'trust me bro’

I got my first cutscene where the artifact protected me from getting mind controlled on a big bridge to the south of the goblin camp in act 1. Like full on everyone got the hurty brains and it started glowing to resist the effects of the Absolute’s followers. Did that not happen for you or something? I’m not sure when you are in the game but there are other cutscenes and events that also show the artifact protecting you directly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If I remember correctly, in Daggerfall you can fast travel as a vampire and you can also set your arrival time. You only start taking damage if you arrive in sunlight, so it's very possible to avoid. The bigger problem is all the shops/guilds are generally closed by then, so you've locked yourself out of most things in towns until you can do some shenanigans.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Morrowind expansions were meant to be done after finishing off Dagoth Ur, yeah. Destroying Akluakhan or however it’s spelled doesn’t end the game.

The mod to make the Sixth House stronger is actually what puts the artifacts in the hands of Sixth House priests. Originally you could just sneak in and steal them, but the idea is that yes, the Sixth House would be keeping very close watch on the tools of its destruction, and you would have to wrest them from their best in order to be able to use them against Dagoth Ur himself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Well, not quite. I forgot that Keening is actually just lying around and can be freely taken, but Sunder is held by one of the priests even in vanilla. Does the mod actually make him wield it?

No but I didn’t say it did.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arrath posted:

Let alone a path of exile style skill web/constellation that's 9 miles across.

reminder that path of exile has TWO of these and it's the second one that's actually the good one

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
related bitch: why do farming games need those action rpg caves. i just want to farm, i don't want to have to do the caves bit. just let me do the gathering and farming parts please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like to see a game where the protagonist has to figure out what the great evil loving up the world is (like I saw this Harvest Moon-style thing that has like an evil 5th season or something) and finds out the world's just like that. Like the 5th season isn't caused by a malevolent god that needs fighting, it's just that the world does that normally.

That makes this ad very very weird: https://youtu.be/wQi5EMxe3No?si=pbB1pmK1ZBinJ-FM