Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought the concept sounded like it wouldn't play very well but I watched Vinny stream two of the demo hours and now I'm covering my body in squid ink in anticipation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

I still think octopuses should have been the playable characters. Octopi don't deserve to be villains. Octopodes are way more lovable than squids.

Wait the turf-warring squid gang members are supposed to be the good guys?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

My only excuse is that I thought it was "splatter + toon (as in cartoon)". That's not really an excuse!

That was probably the intent back when the game's concept was cartoon characters trying to blot each other out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Anime Curator posted:

that gross squid smell.
it anint the squids htough....

It's verisimilitude

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nintendo posted a thing.

Inklings are okay but can I play as this squid cosplayer instead?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm at level 10 and so far I've had by far the most success with the .52 Gallon and especially the Blaster, which is a lot of fun.

I'm still not sure how people are killing me in what looks like single hits with rapid fire weapons other than the .52 Gallon though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tengames posted:

First thing you want to do is paint your team a path to the frontlines

I disagree with this because gun users can move much faster than a roller user by rapidly alternating between shooting and squidding; at least, the guns that shoot fat wads or lines of paint can, I'm not sure if this works well with the minority of rapid fire guns that shoot small wads. Rollers are easier and more consistent to paint ground with so they should probably concentrate on snapping up territory while gunners rush to the front lines to tie up enemies.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah rollers aren't for laying down roads to push ahead; chargers are. But if you have no chargers than blasters can just ink the ground as they run across it.

Chargers are probably the easiest to rush with because they make nice lines of paint even if you fire them uncharged, but I can easily move much faster than a roller with a .52 Gallon or a Blaster as well.

Edit: Blaster is stupid good at racking up kills so I'm glad that I don't have to fight them very often (the first time I fought against someone using one was several rounds after I hit 8+ kills per game several times in a row with my own, and it made me say out loud something like "oh god so that's how it feels from the other end"), they're also fantastic at painting areas as long as you don't whiff them against a wall or floor

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 29, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I keep dying in a single shot and boy is that loving annoying.

It only annoys me when I die in a single shot to things that shouldn't do it like the SMG-type weapons. My .52 Gal doesn't kill people that fast how are people doing it with a Splattershot :mad:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elenkis posted:

Ah, you can't exit out of the lobby screen while waiting for other players either.

My other complaint with the game is that I can't adjust sensitivity for each axis individually. I love the game, but after three days I still can't find a balanced setting where both axis feel right to me.

I had a lot of trouble with the motion controls (not being used to using sticks in a shooter game also didn't help, since I usually only play them on a PC with a mouse, or on the Wii with pointer controls) so I turned them off and tried to twin-stick it, but at every sensitivity level I had some kind of problem. Either I'd turn too slowly or have difficulty aiming up/down well.

After playing enough to reach level 8 I said gently caress it and turned motion controls back on and put the sensitivity up. It turns out that any kind of fine control is almost impossible without them. I rest the gamepad on my lap like it's a normal controller and center it at the start of every match, and with the high sensitivity I don't have to move it much to aim. It greatly increased my effectiveness, especially since that was when I unlocked the Blaster and it made it easier to not accidentally whiff it against the floor.

Nintendo let us use a Wiimote and Nunchuck for pointer aiming please :O

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

+ damage gear, I think it stacks.

I thought of people stacking damage gear but when I started checking the gear on the death screen it didn't seem to be the case; no more than 2 and usually it was the starter gear which comes with them (they were probably too lazy to swap anything but the weapons). Probably lag then.

I saw some rear end in a top hat in the plaza with 4 damage mods though.

Edit: All things considered the starter weapon and clothes are really good, surprisingly, I was considering going back and rolling with them for a while now that I'm used to the game. A lot of the clothes I like the look of don't have such a helpful set of bonuses

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 29, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

ngl i've been rocking the starting stuff this entire time and winning basically every time

i have no idea how the gear system works

Starter clothes have good mods on them at the cost of looking like a newbie I guess, and the Splattershot Jr. weapon set is solid. The gun isn't strictly worse than any other gun I've seen so far and the bubble and grenades are always solid subweapons.

I like sets that have utility grenades and superweapons though, so the Blaster and .52 Gal are the best for me. Never not Killer Wail

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elenkis posted:

I'm using the motion controls, but I'm still only ever completely happy with one axis. The other feels either too fast or slow in comparison because the y axis is locked at a higher sensitivity than the x :(

I can still play the game ok, it just bugs me.

Out of interest, what is your sensitivity set to?

+3. Actually if I could lower the sensitivity on the motion control X-axis while keeping higher sensitivity on the stick X-axis and motion Y-axis I'd be a lot happier now that you mention it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alabaster White posted:

So, is the game good? Also are these amiibos going to be the kind that resell for shitloads?

Yes and probably.

The only thing that could bring the game down for me is that if Nintendo doesn't add content. I could take or leave new weapons since the ones the game has already provides tons of variety, but the 5 maps while very good will get old with heavy playing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's dumb, 'color lock' should be 'color pick' instead. Why? Nintendo. Seems really really lazy for no reason.

Ahaha, I had assumed you get to pick but I never tried it myself.

I thought they put it in as an accessibility feature for colour blind people, so do they have to struggle until they get a combo they can differentiate? ahaha, that's not great

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ernie Muppari posted:

so, i don't know if this has been asked before but is there dlc for this game?

There is or isn't depending on who you ask

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Do you really have to reply to every person saying they enjoyed the game with "WELL I DIDN'T"? We get it. It's getting annoying.

You're a kid now; you're a squid now; you're taint-reaped now.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mabels big day posted:

the thing i like least in this game is the double splats that always happen when two rollers collide. such a pointless exchange. really goes to show the nihilist philosophy of this game.

I've never used a roller but I often get into double-splats versus other gunners

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There must be an option to play with Wiimote/Nunchuk somewhere, surely. Why would they support that goofy-arse macgyver crap and not also support something slightly more sensible?

I would love to be able to use Wiimote+Nunchuck with the Gamepad sitting on my lap for the touchscreen and map. Come on Nintendo let me use your weird gimmick controllers for once :O

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because a big part of the game is using the map to leap to your buddies? :shrug:

You can always switch to conventional dual-stick controls in the Options menu.

Pretty much everyone says something like this in response to "why can't I use x controller" but for some reason they never realize that you can just place the Gamepad in a place where you can still look at it and touch it!!!!

Dual sticks in a shooter is rear end though

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So I found out that shots from the Splat Charger will just impale your target and kill anyone else behind them too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I tested it out with my boyfriend earlier today using an original Classic Controller and a Wiimote Plus. It definitely works which is fascinating considering how janky it is. I want Nintendo doing weird controller poo poo like this more.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Squids are carnivores which probably explains the scary fangs that Inklings have.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ninja squid owns, I've been using the splat charger a lot and while people have been getting good at dodging you when they see the laser sight turn on, they're not as good at dodging when you dip into the ink, swim a bit, and fire at them again from a different angle.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EightFlyingCars posted:

That's because campy sniper weapons are harshly penalized by the game's mechanics. It's really trivial for people to just swoop up to you, and if somebody with an aerospray gets in your face (and basically everybody has an aerospray) you’re stuck in a whole bunch of ink, so you can't escape.

I say this as somebody who's been trying to make them work for hours but the long range shooter weapons are better in every way. I probably just suck though.

I mostly play Chargers and I like the bog-standard low level Splat Charger. I wear a Ninja Squid hoodie and constantly stick and move, emerging from the ink to take snap shots before going back under. Staying still, especially in one of the easy to shoot at designated sniper zones is a bad idea (especially since even if it doesn't invite counter-sniper fire, people can easily climb up and get in your face). People are very good at dodging when they see the laser sights so try to hit them from behindish or when they're fighting a teammate.

They're probably not as good at inking as some of the high-end SMGs, but they're not bad at it and you shouldn't ever neglect it, especially since you pretty much need it to fight. You can ink a hell of a lot by firing a charged shot up at a bit of an angle then sidestepping a bit and repeating, but it requires a bit of good placement.

I haven't tried the scoped version but I'm pretty sure that it will just gently caress up my aim since I pretty much never keep my gun charged and only charge when I have a shot already lined up.

I just unlocked the E-liter 3k and I've been trying that. It has an absolutely silly range but takes enough time to charge up that I can't use it like the Splat Charger. Charging it about halfway gives you about the same range and rate of fire as the Splat Charger which is good when you're inking, but you need to charge it up most of the way to get to the one-hit splat damage threshold. If you prefer to take a more sedentary approach to sniping it's probably the weapon to use, but I've been doing far, far better with the Splat Charger.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 3, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Being able to pick from a list of presets for your D-pad and being able to "ping" locations on the map would go a long way.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

prom candy posted:

From a few pages back but what makes motion controls better than dual stick? I turned it off almost immediately but maybe I was too hasty. Is it something that you guys would want in other console shooters now?

After playing a lot of first and third person shooters for various platforms I feel that something like this is how I'd rank control schemes: Mouse and keyboard > Wii Remote pointer >> Gyro Aiming >>> Twin Stick.

I wish that the pointer controls didn't fall by the wayside since the Wii U came out because they performed very well in Resident Evil IV, The Conduit, Metroid Prime 3, and others. If it was an option it would be the superior choice in Splatoon. It took me some time to get used to it, but the motion controls perform okay as a substitute. Twin Sticks should always go gently caress themselves because they need aiming assistance to be anywhere close to usable, and that doesn't exist in Splatoon.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Splatoon reminds me a lot of Battlefield 1942. In both games there is no communication among players, therefore any teamwork that occurs is a happy accident. And you can never, ever assume that your teammates will do something useful, no matter how strategic or valuable or obvious, because everyone is an idiot.

Instead of making me angry, though, it puts a big grin on my face when that accidental teamwork comes together.

Basically what I'm saying is this is a strategy guide for Splatoon.

All they need to do is add a map ping and "I'm on it" and "No can do" to the left/right on the D-pad and it will have enough communication for most purposes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Chargers aren't bad at painting at all but people need to pick up their game if I keep outpainting them with one

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dizz posted:

If you're talking about teammates, then they're probably poo poo or over occupied with fighting and not tagging. If you meant enemies, I'd rather not get sniped to try and get a tad bit more paint.

Nah I just had a streak of placing the highest on my own team whether I win or lose, which is hosed when I'm talking about rollers and Aerosprays.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The blaster is so crazy that I hope it never catches on; there was a guy kicking my rear end with it consistently and there's not much you can do if he gets into optimal range and shoots first.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I wish scope chargers weren't just strictly better. Like you could toggle it and charge quick without scope or charge slow with scope and it effects range or something. Every charger with a scope seems to just charge at the same rate at the same rate as the variant without a scope.

I disagree because the zooming in, even if brief, throws me off when I try to do the midrange snapshots which make up almost all of my kills with chargers.

I haven't been playing super hardcore and I have 150,000 turf inked with the early-level Splat Charger/bomb rush/grenades kit :stare:

Until I read it I thought that was for Team Rice because man that looks like an onigiri

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Okay I didn't really read what he was replaying to, but come on, his team rice actually looks like rice

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Dunno what kinda hosed up rice you've been eating.

I don't because I eat bread :teambread:

Edit: No but really, I just saw the croissant and thought it looked like a pile of cooked rice and assumed the other was a similarly poorly-drawn bread item

double-dumbass on me for not actually reading the post chain though

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 9, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crasical posted:

I'm absolutely certain that there's gonna be a big chunk of players now that will decide their Splatfest team by whichever is being backed by their Squid Sister Waifu.

I'm not going to lie if they do a splatfest for Callie versus Marie I know which one I'd back.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Squids smoke seaweed to get high" -Vinny

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

dogsicle posted:

Had one guy who spammed squid form whenever he got a kill on us. Good to see the old FPS spirit is alive. :smith:

It's called seabagging

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Infinitum posted:

New weapon tomorrow!
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/609285216981483520

Seems to come with Seekers and Bomb Rush.

It's whatever the sticky bombs are in english (it says "kyuuban bombs" in Japanese) so luckily it's not as powerful as seeker rush would be.

Cat Machine posted:

I'm glad the content is coming fairly thick and fast, but it's all stuff that's right there on the disc and is being fed to us over time - I mean, we've been able to play Kelp Dome in Single Player for two weeks now. If this was all brand-new DLC, I'd be ecstatic.

I'm hoping this is just padding time to keep interest up until they start releasing truly fresh content.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair, a rush of Seekers is pretty much a bum rush.

It's suction bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

raditts posted:

I'm not sure a lot of people realize what they're for.

I just figured the people tossing them at spawns were the ones going "hey what does this do :downs:"

• Locked thread