Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Sharzak posted:

With that being said the scariest game I've ever played is Dark Souls, at least for the first ten or so hours. More than any other game since Fatal Frame it gave me a feeling of sheer dread while playing and really captured what I love about horror media. It's that gut feeling of "fuuuuck I don't want to go down there oh no I don't want to know what's going to happen next agh" that makes you want to turn off the game or movie or close the book. Once you figure out the flow of the game and get sufficiently well armed (and ruin it for yourself with guides, to an extent, but that's what the game gets for being so loving unfair) that feeling evaporates but that was a drat good horror experience for a while. Am I crazy or did anyone else pick that up?

When the very first Demons souls thread on SA showed up that's what I thought the game was going to be. Tower of Latria gets brought up a lot in how to make a really unwelcoming environment for good reason. I think medieval horror is vastly underused in games since a lot of what makes pre-modern stuff scary is usually just how little a protagonist can ever know about what's really going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

What are you even talking about? Mario Party? Mini games? Are you high or retarded?

NeoSeeker posted:

This game is a schizophrenic mess. I should know.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Whats everyone's thoughts on the Fatal Frame games? Should I play them?

You're going to get nothing but resounding yes yes yes from everyone. Yes! Go! Enjoy one of the few truly scary series out there!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Hey joyless division if you played 1 for 3 you might as well watch the sh movie for homecoming. Don't bother watching the second one unless you want to sit through a 40 minute scene where heather literally explains the entire plot to some guy who was just introduced and dies right after.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Is outlast actually any good? Every bit I've seen of it looks like the entire game is running through identical enviroments ruining away from enemies through the same corridors, finding more batteries then running some more. It's like amnesia, square room connected by hallway speedrun edition. Is there an interesting story? The naked guy in the beginning was the least scariest guy since burping nurses.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

A lot of you guys seem to have an overall positive opinion of outlast so I'll try giving it another go. I hadn't seen any exploration or puzzle solving so I'll re evaluate it then, good thing its not just running then.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Hey I know all the Outlast chat was a couple of pages ago, but it's going to be on sale for 5 bucks on PS4 the second Halloween week sale. Figured it might help anyone like me who was on the fence about it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Doctor Bishop posted:

Funny that when I say the PC version of Resident Evil 4 controls like rear end, everyone assumes that I played the original version. Nope, it was the HD version, and honestly, I tried playing it with both keyboard+mouse and then with my Xbox controller when the K+M didn't work worth a poo poo. Sorry, but the controls are just plain rear end-tastic, especially going into it expecting something similar to Dead Space after hearing the two games constantly being compared to one another.

This is patently false.

Un forastero! MATALO!

I've never played the pc ver but I've beaten the gc, wii, ps2, and 360 versions and it's like seriously in the top 5 games of last-last gen for me. That game is so loving good! It's a shame it's been crap RE games since. (Other than PC RE6 mercenaries that owns)

Also I finally put my money where my mouth is and am starting Outlast!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Morpheus posted:

I played Alone in the Dark on PS3, and actually thought it wasn't terrible. It felt like a strong B-movie-style game trying to be more, but failing. Some cool ideas, and some parts, like the aforementioned driving through a crumbling city, are actually pretty cool (though it seems like many of the issues people had with these parts were fixed, so I can't comment what it was like before). The close-your-eyes mechanic was original, the fire was cool, and of course "I'M THE loving UNIVERSE!" is probably the best line uttered in any horror game ever.

I don't know, telling some eldritch beast possessing a corpse "I don't have your stone, and gently caress YOU anyways!" is good too. Alone in the 2008 Dark had the best lines.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll argue Demon's Souls is straight up a survival horror game with RPG elements.

Both REmake and the souls game are really good at that "there's something hosed up on the side of this corner that i do not want to see or fight but I must continue ughhh" kind of dread. Dead Space 1 was also pretty good with evoking that feeling first playthrough.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Mindblast posted:

The game is kind enough to hint whether or not something is left behind though. It won't tell you what or how much, but the map map color codes fully cleared rooms.

This is actually how I figured my pro strat when remake first came out. Only kill zombies in rooms cause 90 percent of the time you won't have to go back in them. Stun hallway zombies and run past them. The only crimson head i ever fought was the scripted one. As Jill I had something like 100 handgun ammo and 50 shotgun shells by the time hunters showed up. Only zombies i ever burned were the hallway ambush ones.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I don't even remember any real puzzles in sanitarium outside running around talking, handing items, and opening the occasional door. That game is a diablo with almost no monster killing.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I feel like the FNAF thing is people being so used to big gaming publisher release dates and promise bullshit that a single guy's project who is managed normally and finishes a bit earlier than expected is the most unusual thing.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Yodzilla posted:

Yep. I've been watching all of the other MGS games leading up to V and the Geckos in 4 are still terrifying. Making something sound like a cow shouldn't make it scarier but welp.

Very appropriate for the horror thread, sequel MGS Rising takes this to its logical Metal Gear conclusion. In order to get around the pesky human rights issue of pairing AIs with human tissue, many of the robotic beasts you fight are actually ran by primeate and other intelligent mammal brains working in tandem with threat suppression AIs, fueled by the aggression of the existential hell its consciousness is put through.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Captain Yossarian posted:

That ps3 siren game is really fun for what it is (and is also on sale for 6$). The episodes seem really dang short, but I enjoy what I've seen of it

The first episode is a single character, the rest have multiple chapters. I could never get into the ps2 version but I'm really digging siren, mostly because of its use of the screen. The game camera is set really close behind you, giving the already claustrophobic enviroments even more tension. On top of that, some characters can "sightjack", seeing what other friendlies or enemies see. This splits your screen vertically. It does a great job of emulating the focus someone would have in this situation by limiting your view, and does it in such a way that the tension outdoes the annoyance of being unable to see around you. I'm on chapter 4, hooked!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

ZearothK posted:

It is worth noting that Pathologic was originally a tabletop RPG campaign, then was made into a theater play and finally became a computer game, which makes perfect sense given the game we received.

Wait what? Is there a script for this? Youtube videos of russian high school students putting it on?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I don't suppose there's a video without the talking streamcam?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

chitoryu12 posted:

Take it easy and work on making each game top notch instead of trying to saturate the market and get maximum dollar value out of it.

I'd like to see a horror game deal with the soulessness of modern capitalism. It shouldn't be too hard, like, you could have a game about being a medical insurance company. Jack up prices and slash benefits for the lower policies to supplement the higher paid ones. Bully local hospitals into pushing your policies on the poors or withold the money they need to function (but make sure you make yourself look better than the pharmaceutical companies doing the same thing!) When an executive gets a bonus you can have a shot of a rich dude on a beach while someone dies from an easily preventable infection juxtaposed.

Hell if you set it in the US you can pretty much use any institution!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Kokoro Wish posted:

Play Cart Life. The truest, most crushingly horrific game.

poo poo I completely forgot about cart life, yeah!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Every time i think i might enjoy rule of rose i pull up a video from the lparchive LP after the blimp part starts and watch like 30 minutes and then realize how much I'd hate playing through that myself.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Has anyone else played Clock Tower for the SNES/PSX? That game scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. :ohdear:

Clock Tower 1, for being a sprite sidescroller, is actually quite creepy and good. I played it a few years ago with headphones and in the dark and it actually managed to scare me a couple times. Are there any other genuinely scary 2D games? I've played a few indie puzzle games with a creepy atmosphere but nothing that gave me that OH poo poo gently caress feeling.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Murdered: soul suspect has some creepy enviroments that don't rely on jump scares, just the kind of stuff you see and can picture how it was used (takes place in Salem, witch trial stuff)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

MockingQuantum posted:

Admittedly I've never played Alien: Isolation which seems to be either everybody's favorite or least favorite example of the hide-and-seek games, but all the rest I've played seem more bent on causing you grief than engaging you in the gameplay.

Alien gives you more fighting or at least stunning options as you keep going through the game, by the 3/5ths mark or so you can basically have the Alien gently caress off while you run away or grab something before going back to hiding. You can't really fight back but you can actively hold poo poo off at least.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I wish theyd just adapt mansions of madness or that other board game to a game scenario. Let you fight and kill monsters, but have an insanity meter that fills the longer you take/are fighting. The wasteland 2 engine would be perfect for something like that.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Len posted:

:thejoke: is that ive been running that poo poo into the ground for years now

It might seem weird if you didn't read the re7 threads at the time but Len is right, the sheer amount of people losing their absolute poo poo over what was essentially a little playable trailer demo was insane. Like the boat joke in the ps4 thread still gets traction but no one likes to remember being a weird rear end in a top hat about the resident evil 7 demo

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Cardiovorax posted:

Metal Slug and Syphon Filter would probably count. Not that more than a few people even remember them.

LOOK AHROUUND YOU LOGAN!

I always think of Duke Nukem whatever in time and its sequel and tomb raiders as the quintessential ps1 tpses. Control just feels like modded max Payne 2 which would have been fine if we could throw back bullets in slomo dives but as we can not it is kinda meh.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have persevered through my first (ever) playthrough of Resident Evil 2 Remake w/Leon. Took it extremely slow, with lots of backtracking, a little bit of screwing around/achievement hunting, etc. Definitely gives me a new appreciation for the people who perform a run with limited (or no) saves, limited storage box access, etc. for sure.

I think it's also one of the easiest REs to go back through and route for S ranks and other achievements fwiw, your second time through just knowing all the codes to everything will save you hrs of backtracking through the station and especially labs.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Hel posted:

The first boss fight is against a car and the second(?) is a chainsaw fencing match, the horror is abandoned in favour of action about as quickly as in RE6.

Look ill give you the second one, but the car fight was actually tense and brilliant classic scary poo poo. Slow crawly creeping tension broken by an immediate and powerful threat is spooky 101, it's pam and whatshisface sneaking through the house, when bubba bursts through with the chainsaw. it was one of the series most inspired moments and unique boss fights imo.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Its not like rockstar didnt want to hang dong, it just took until ballad of gay tony until the esrb relented under their popular and financial pressure. Afaik the only actual console games you can see uncensored dicks are all rockstar games.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

happyhippy posted:

Not sure if you would call it a true horror game, but I would recommend the severely underrated Murdered: Soul Suspect

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233290/Murdered_Soul_Suspect/

Its basically Frighteners: The video game, but instead of Michael J Fox you play as a newly dead cop after the guy who just killed you.

It has its creepy moments, and I wish they did a sequel.

It's not as noticeable as RE 3 but the town in that game has big "US town made by a japanese dude that hasn't been to a US town like that" energy which is the fun part but the twist is made by someone who played Heavy Rain and LIKED its twist payoff. Play it for the journey, not the destination. Its also on sale regularly on psn and steam for literally 2 bux all the time lol.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Getting Barry to kill Jill's first zombie. Definitely a genre staple

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

veni veni veni posted:

I just look at them as two very separate things, because RE was king in the late 90's and early 00s and every horror game seemed inspired by it. Horror games generally involved a combination of action, exploration, puzzles, etc. RE4 switched gears more into action and that was imitated a number of times, but when Amnesia came out (which coincided perfectly with the birth of streamer culture) the horror genre shifted heavily into indie walking sim territory really until RE7, which reinvigorated RE as a series, but I also think it empowered all of these sequels and reboots we are getting.

Don't get me wrong I like a good horror walking sim, especially if Frictional is doing it. And Amnesia was a drat good game, but I see it as more of a roadblock for older style survival horror than something that restarted it.

Separate, but still connected. RE has always been the me too series, even the original was heavily aping (the other remake we're getting) Alone in the Dark. Re4 was inspired, but still post winback/killswitch. I think RE7 wouldn't have been RE7 without the entirety of PC horror going through the Penumbra-Amnesia-Outlast horror booms and seeing what works and what is and isn't fun. To me it's a very fine balance, i need that interactivity with the world, I don't like Soma or the Penumbra games, but RE7 was perfect and i wish they'd had the courage to make the whole game like the first third. RE8 throws it out the window entirely, but its combat is also fun enough to carry it regardless of which way it goes. That to me is far more compelling than my hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

What makes DSRs horror style so tasty to eat in large bites to me is the consistency. It never stops being loud, scary, monster shows up, monster doesn't show up, machinery is loud and scary, monsters are loud and scary. It's relentless and it trains you to enjoy the jump and worry/focus on whether the jump is a real threat or a fakeout.

It's also helped by having really good sound design and benefitting greatly from a surround sound/nice headphone setup

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't think that it's necessarily that the killers lost hope, they are just the mechanism by which the entity terrorizes the survivors and it pulls willing participants in to use. Some of the killers wander into the fog and just keep doing what they were already doing with some light prodding, but others are giddy at the opportunity.

The survivors get their memories wiped after each match but it's not complete, so after a while I think the entity just stops reviving them.

It's also implied that the entity and the realm it exists in is extradimensional and definitely timeless, to where 2 "versions" of you can exist from different timelines. The coolest part of the DBD lore is that it's flexible enough as a fanfic engine to make a feasible interaction between any horror icons across any media.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Tired Moritz posted:

its 2023. is dead by daylight still fun? i never played it

DBD is a weird beast in that fundamentally it hasn't really changed that much in the 7 years its been around, but your fun level in it is greatly dependent on a number of factors that aren't necessarily gameplay related. Do you enjoy games that take a few minutes to learn but thousands of hours to grok and improve in through minute mechanical mastery (and unlock everything in)? Do you like a semi complicated game of tag through which all your horror is filtered? Can you deal with a really toxic community for a multiplayer only asymmetrical game? If mostly yes, then yes!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it unfortunately is one of those games where there are 0 places online to read or discuss it. every community discussion is complaining about the devs. you’d think they were ICE camp guards the way people talk about them everywhere.

One thing the dbd thread is going to tell you is otzdarva.com otz is one of the most popular streamers and literally knows and understands the game better than the devs do (posting videos 8 hours after a patch correcting wrong dev info etc). His site has every resource you could want for looking up specific killers and builds, or broad mechanic overviews. If this game got its entity hooks into you, good luck, see ya in a few thousand hours and you too will learn to hate the devs. I'm at 2500 hrs and feel I'm nowhere near any skillcaps, game just has a million interactions to consider and use at any given point.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Remothered: broken porcelain up for a dollar on PSN. Never played the first one but for a dollar why not

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

DLC Inc posted:

DBD having such a stranglehold is mystifying to me. The game plays and looks like dogshit while I thought Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead looked/played so much better. Even Friday the 13th I thought was a better take on that genre.

The DBD defender has logged on. As poo poo as it may look, literally no one else can figure out anything better than v complicated freeze tag with buttloads of perks to unlock (made a lot easier and faster these days) Nothing ends up outlasting DBD because it was designed from day 1 for longevity and now they have a massive team (3-400 people) so they churn out new content every 3 months. It's also WIDELY anchored in streaming, and consistently has 20k+ viewers which not many 8+ year old games not named some kind of counterstrike or fortnite do. Its gameplay is easy to explain but takes thousands of hours to master. Its not always on purpose, but everything about DBD works in its favor as far as content, influx of players, skill expression etc in spite of developers which only balance the game around the newbie level of gameplay anyways.

There's a reason every asymetrical horror game that comes out gets put on that death door knock meme, and it's because every single one of them thinks they can get by on one gimmick, one brand, etc, but people bore of their game in a few months and their playerbase craters like every other gaas game. This isn't because their gameplay isn't more FUN than DBDs, that's the easy part. Texas Chainsaw Massacre devs straight out said nah this isn't a forever game and people still Pikachu surprise face 200 hrs in when every single trick has been figured out and mechanically mastered and there are no free cosmetics or levels left to unlock.

So they go back to DBD, and the bloated corpse goes on.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Len posted:

So this then

Nah. It's the skill ceiling and unlockable drip. People don't stay with dbd because of the fallacy, they stay because nothing else offers the above. That's how games like Gundam Battle Operations 2, For Honor, Chivalry 2 etc stick around with tiny but steady playercounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I wanted to come in here and gush about it too. I never played this when it came out so it's like playing a resident evil or silent hill for the first time.