Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

So what do you guys thinks of Cards Against Humanity?
I hear the new expansion is pretty bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fungah! posted:

I will brutally destroy you (at the board game of your choosing)
Blitz Campaign for North Africa, 5 minute turns.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Note that your ship must have at least one human on it; aliens won't pilot the ship properly, they weren't trained in the life support controls, only in engines and weapons and...misc.

Aliens are highly trained, a single alien is certainly capable of piloting the ship. The problem is that aliens have no concept of loyalty :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, there's a new TTA? With non-poo poo art? There goes my main reason not to get it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Talk to me about competitive 2-player dungeon crawlers, thread. Preferably with miniatures. I have an eye on Dungeon Command and/or Dungeon Twister, but any good alternatives are welcome.

(I don't mind randomness unless it's "roll to move, roll to roll, roll to wipe rear end" excessive. And yeah I know about Descent and the like, but the "one vs many"-type design is not what I'm looking at the moment.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Descent has an app now that automates the overlord aspect, making it pure co-op.
"pure co-op" and "competitive" is very different. In case it's not, I meant direct conflict between players, not just treasure hunting for points etc.

Also, forgot to mention, no apps. Let's keep it purely physical.

Azran posted:

Claustrophobia is real good.
Yeah, I forgot to mention I know it already.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

theroachman posted:

Re: 2p competitive dungeon crawl

Mage Knight? Though admittedly it's at its worst when played in competitive mode. And it's not really a dungeon crawl in the strict sense because the dungeons are just single tiles in a world map. On the other hand it is though. You level up, you gear up, you can hire other party members, you slay a bunch of monsters...
So it's not really a dungeon crawler and competitive is its worst aspects, why exactly are you recommending this for a 2p comp crawler then? I know MK and it's a great game, but so is Dungeon Lords and it's still not what I looked for.

Bottom Liner posted:

You want Arcadia Quest. You're competing with the other players for pvp/pve objectives to win each scenario.
poo poo, I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

al-azad posted:

I see a million copies of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower and on one hand it's GW, but on the other hand it looks pretty because it's GW.

Anyway the big talk I hear is Descent with the new app is great. Imperial Assault is also good even as a 2 player rebel-vs-empire setup.
And on the third hand (because Tzeentch) it's still GW. Mini design is decent to poo poo and the rules are almost certain to be poo poo.
ImpAss has a skirmish mode you say? I'll have to look into it, I don't like SW but I can adapt it into a sort of Descent 1.5 ruleset I'm making.

taser rates posted:

Earth Reborn is right up your alley. Awesome tactical miniature 2p game designed by Christophe Boelinger, the same guy that designed Dungeon Twister. You can somewhat feel its DNA in there, but it's very much its own beast.
Another thing I had to be reminded of. I have the minis on my painting table right now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

theroachman posted:

I didn't say "Mage Knight, definitely, buy it now now now!" I said "Mage Knight?" and then went on to explain how it might or might not be what you want. I'm not sure what more you want from a random dude on the internet.
You went on explaining how it's exactly not what I wrote, it sounded like someone who just realized MK was great and started recommending it as the panaceum for all the world's ails. Sorry if I misunderstood :shobon: also I probably should've phrased my post much more unambiguously.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

English issue here but what does Kingmaking mean in this context?
Playing the game so that one specific other person wins, with no openly stated alliance or anything like that (especially in games without alliance mechanics).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

except in cases where they are just legitimately being vindictive idiots
If you made it so another player still exists in the game but now doesn't have any chance of winning, you should assume that his main objective is now to drag you down with him.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Don't play Cosmic Encounter.
FTFY

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

the panacea posted:

So Asmodee has decided that retailers in the German region should no longer sell English copies of FFG games. So this means I can no longer pick up everything conveniently order and buy everything at my local brick and mortar store or any other stores in that region. Any idea where I could order from now with minimal shipping costs?
Wait, so what happens if a FFG game doesn't have a German translation? Can you order the English version before an official translation is released/announced, or are you hosed?

For someone who sometimes plays in a multi-language group, the future seems dim.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Fake Edit: ¿What happens if Jesus loses a game?
Everyone gets a redemption token, Jesus' player waits a while and respawns. Duh.
The problem is that rules are slightly unclear on how many turns he should wait before respawning.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

atholbrose posted:

Just one shelf? Just two?

Not shown: the other shelf in this room, the two in the dining room, the boxes of exiled games in the basement...

You think you can stop. At one point, so did I.
I wanted to laugh at you and ask how many you regularly play, but then I remembered my pile of boxes with custom inserts holding my giant backlog of unassembled and unpainted miniatures and I thought that maybe I shouldn't throw stones :shobon:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is there a 18XX thread? I remember seeing it a while ago here in TG, what happened to it?

Alternatively, can someone tell me which 18XXes are good for a beginner to the genre? Preferably those which still have something to do with train lines as opposed to being 100% stock fuckery.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

u brexit ukip it posted:

and not really anything else.
Wrong.
It is also a popular base to paste a P&P board on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is it possible to make BGG give you a current top 100 list that only includes games released X+ years ago?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Search by date range and sort by ranking
:doh:

Thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone tell me stuff about Dungeon Alliance. Seems like a nice euro/AT hybrid marinated in dungeonsauce, collective opinion is generally positive, doesn't seem like the usual KS shovelware, I just need a slight push in the buy/don't buy direction. Where does it lie on the euro vs. AT spectrum and how much is the theme pasted on vs integrated into mechanics?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

kaujot posted:

Talisman got me into boardgames. :shrug:
Me too, but that was like 25 years ago and we have much better entry points nowadays.

Chill la Chill posted:

Asmodee has been rereleasing them with cheaper plastic components.
Literally worse than Hitler.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Has anyone here played Founders of Gloomhaven?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Is it out yet anywhere?
Not physically, but the author posted print & play files and a TTS module. I've already seen a review from a P&P copy, but would like a second opinion.
Mechanics look interesting enough but I have no idea how well it works in practice.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

I welcome the opportunity to try out Pax Pamir without giving Phil Eklund any money.
What's wrong with Phil Eklund? Serious question.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looked up a few of those and they're :munch: indeed.

To clarify: are the actual games fine and mechanically good if you ignore the more :rolleyes: bits in the flavor/explanation text of the manual?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone talk me out of buying Sword & Sorcery. The best my conscience came up with was "why the gently caress do you need another dungeon crawler when you still haven't played or painted half of the ones you own" and it's not working.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Today in "Kickstarter was a mistake"
:v:
At least post a link so we can mock it too.

Electric Hobo posted:

Well, there's a lot of Comic Sans in it, which makes some people irrationally angry.
Comic Sans is grounds for justifiable homicide.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Apparently I just got Guns of Gettysburg. What am I in for?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

The Mount Everest of learning how to play a game.
I have Magic Realm. :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Why are we poking a turd if we can all agree it stinks? I'd rather hear about what's so good in Food Chain Magnate and Kanban, maybe I missed some gems?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I have poor impulse control.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Merauder posted:

And this is somehow, like, a point of pride or something?
Yes, given the sheer number of mediocre to poo poo games held up by miniatures, KS exclusives, marketing and/or generated hype. Nowadays it pretty much classifies as survival instinct.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 31, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

The other side of the coin is that a lot of people who have been involved in the hobby for a long time tend to over-romanticize classic board games that were good when they were released but feel like absolute dinosaurs when compared with more modern designs.
Got specific examples on hand? I'd love to hear about titles that raised the bar compared to classics, but somehow slipped under my radar.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

For me, I got more burned out by my weekly group never wanting to play old games because they were all buying new stuff constantly sight unseen (I was guilty of this too at the time, playing at CSI game nights makes it entirely too easy to fall into that trap). I realized after a while I would rather play games I knew I liked rather than constantly learn new stuff that mostly turned out to be garbage. Now I am on the opposite end where I want to play everything in my collection until I'm sick of it or at least feel pretty competent with it. One of the guys from that group is close to 2000 games now, but I don't often game with them anymore.
Same here. We used to meet at a friend's place that had a massive (walls of 3 rooms) collection of various titles, a ton of those was random KS poo poo she backed. After playing the game of "let's decide what game that doesn't really interest me we'll be learning, it's a waste to leave them unplayed after all" for the n-th time I decided I'd rather be playing Agricola or some other tried, tested and good title than another random shiny. At least I got over Kickstarters on someone else's money :v:

MockingQuantum posted:

I want more board games based on The Water Margin though.
Wait... MORE games? Gimme your list!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Is the difference between Hive and Pocket Hive only the size of it?
I've heard that Pocket includes the expansion tiles, check for that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

FFG scratched the paint off of Warhammer Quest
Isn't it just Descent?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Triskelli posted:

E: For the uninitiated, Imperialism 1&2 are essentially “Total War: Transport Tycoon” and focus on the overlap between war and trade in a package that looks like modern euro games.
Welp, gently caress my free time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

I was curious to see if these were on Steam, but I could only find this. The reviews indicate that the gameplay is as poorly thought through as the concept and title.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/845530/Imperialism_The_Dark_Continent/
You need to go back. Like, further into the past:

https://www.gog.com/game/imperialism
https://www.gog.com/game/imperialism_2_the_age_of_exploration

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is Rising Sun nothing more than overhyped plastic poo poo or is it an actually decent game?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

If only you could find the Civilizations expansion in a reasonable price as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just got Flow of History based on this thread and if it's bad I'm gonna tell all your relatives you play Monopoly.