Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Maybe this thread can be less passive-aggressive than the last one :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Frank Horrigan posted:

Hah, looks like the chucklefucks at Frontier purged all open tickets again. Three weeks with no response and they deleted it without even acknowledging it. :bravo:

Chucklefucks? Seriously?
:allears:

I mean I filed a few tickets that never got responses but I'm not taking it personally.

Edit: please do not take this as me fellating the developers rather pointing out that mass purges of open tickets (of which I'm guessing there are a ton of pointless ones) is relatively common when you get done pushing out a bunch of bug fixes. If this issue is so pressing, maybe try opening a ticket again?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 17, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jiblet posted:

Can someone explain the terrible thread title?

As far as I can tell unfunny people thought it was hilarious.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sylink posted:

How you find resource extraction sites for bounty hunting? I dont understand.

Go to a gas giant with rings. They show up like unidentified signal sources.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Everyone who plays this owes it to themselves to check out a black hole. The gravitational lensing effect even if it ~*~isn't 100% scientifically accurate~*~ is impressive and you can only really get the full effect by seeing it in person.

Also folks need to let go of things added for the sake of game play. Velocity bleeding on rocks and cargo pods is one of those things.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

4x Gimballed Pulse
2x Gimballed Cannon

Found my loadout for murder Asp :getin:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I tried cannons and absolutely hated them. I could never hit anything. Do you just bump into the target then pull the trigger or something?

I use them exclusively to punch out the power core of larger targets. But yeah I generally have better luck hitting them up close.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Turns out disabling orbit lines turns off the "don't go inside of this circle" graphic on stars which is invaluable for fuel scooping.

Guess I'll be keeping that on.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BaconPigbutt posted:

• Reduce likelihood of NPC ships claiming bounties after a player has weakened an opponent :dance:

This change is huge. I don't think I've lost a bounty to an NPC yet today.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I really wanted to like this game, enough so that I dropped $60 and then bought a $200 joystick (not just for this game, it'll get use in a few other games at least) but this is crap. I just spent 2 hours playing and the end result is that I have about 800 less credits than I started with; between taking combat quests and going to the system I'm supposed to only to find nothing there, taking trader quests and then finding that the item I'm supposed to buy is about 200 LY away OR the station suddenly decides they no longer want the item at all, or jumping into a system and having to spend literally 15 minutes staring at dots while my ship flies to one of the stations, I am left bored out of my loving mind. I get that they want our minds to boggle with the glorious size of space, but spending 90% of game time traveling around at warp speed and doing jack poo poo is not fun.

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I want to say chaff disrupts scans.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Take a look at about 1 min in. His lasers are barely doing anything. Also if your opponent has chaff then what?

Wait a few seconds then resume firing?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Broccoli Cat posted:

Anybody know what people are paying for those premium beta accounts with unlimited upgrades?

:frogout:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Did they ever give a reason as to why there won't be player owned space? With 800 million systems, it seems like such an obvious thing to include- at least down the road.

Yes multiple times.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

evilolive posted:

This game in it's current state is a 3D version of Escape Velocity Nova minus the faction story lines. This game will fail if it doesn't incorporate player owned space. It just simply will. There is not enough motion within the universe without. What we have is an endless supply of systems and no way to make a distinction between them. No way to make a distinction between areas of space and with no storylines to really speak of, you will end up with a stale game.

Supercruise is an issue that can and should be worked out without losing the feeling of the vastness of space. However, if player distinctions cannot be made then you have nothing.

There is no crafting system to speak of ala EVE, and as such, with also no player owned space, the grind of mining and trading currently being experienced by players is ultimately pointless. What's the point? E-credits, that's all. The prices changes due to supply and demand, but not really. There needs to be more that is dynamically driven by players and groups.

That's my feeling currently. There's no drive to the game. We have a fishtank with no pump circulating water, with the developers falsely thinking they created an ocean in homeostasis (I hope I used that correctly, couldn't figure out if something is in homeostasis or is homeostatic, or with homeostasis, whatever)

"Game does not perfectly match my expectations therefore it is garbage."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

We can have all of it.

If the developers don't focus on what I think is important they are incompetent doo-doo heads.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

evilolive posted:

I agree with this. You don't need silly mechanics like walking in the space station or some silly FPS. Economics, business, politics and war should be where the focus is. More dynamic input on the economy from the actions of players, influencing politics and I think it really needs a much stronger mission storyline for each of the factions. It feels very random and souless. That's what you get with procedural generation, so imo they need to open it up more to the influence of the players. It should not be easy to do something like sway the politics of a system, but it should be possible. Additionally as I said yesterday, I think you should be able to take over a system in some fashion.

You taking over a system is never going to happen so you might was well give on that nonsense (how would you even track it in a game where playing solo is a thing)?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Thanks to those that answered my post respectfully. A nice gently caress you to the defensive nerds about their space game of choice. Basically everyone who takes any suggestion deviating from what this game is as a full on "Remake EVE" comment is a giant rear end in a top hat.

This sounds like it's a pass for me. I don't need an end game or even a narrative, a sandbox is fine if what I can do has an effect on the world and other things I can do. This game doesn't seem to offer that so oh well. That's too bad, I'm dying for a space trader game that is a nice middle between spreadsheets and space rangers hd.

This is the post of a mature person :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Luccion posted:

Wow, that's super clever. You do realize that you do in fact have an effect on the galaxy right. Currently Goons are collectively raising the influence of an independent system to start to creep into the neighboring systems. We are seeing more an more missions of our chosen faction outside of the system they originated in.

:ssh: It doesn't fit his narrow definition therefore the game is poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hey Nostalgia. This

Is the time to use :ironicat:, right?

I can't even tell what people are crying about any more :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

evilolive posted:

Cobra is really a nice ship, probably too cheap for how good it is. Asp is my next target for ship. Passed the million mark today, and on my way. Four utility slots on that baby, go exploring!

Considering it is the nicest ship the average player is ever going to see, it's probably appropriately priced.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh sorry, did the thread zeitgeist change where prices post-Asp are acceptable?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Could you expand on this please?

My original comment re: Cobra was based on the idea that ship/component prices get absurdly expensive relative to player income. Thread consensus seems to be otherwise :shrug:

Although I guess I should change my statement to "The Asp is the best ship the average player will ever see."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Xae posted:

I did some exploration today and I wasn't impressed much with the returns.

Fully scanning systems with a dozen or more objects and a the Detailed Scanner upgrade only netted me ~15k. I could make the same amount in a quarter the time helping cops pop rats in a RES site.

Were you scanning frozen blocks of ice that are one in a million?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Where is palladium 1k? its more like 11-13.

Shh, don't interrupt the narrative.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Tired of running into the gravity wells of White Dwarfs :argh:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So many stars :stare:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

kalstrams posted:

Does your setup highlight market rares properly?

:cripes:

It obviously works for him.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hey Frontier, bring back the "sell all" button for system data.

Been selling data one by one for an hour now :gonk:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Libluini posted:

Hah, now I really fear the day I'm coming back from my adventure in deep space. :v:

Edit:

By the way, NPCs still spawn for me even though I'm hundreds of light years away from civilization. Yesterday I had to evade the same Python three times. That NPC really wanted to stop my empty Cobra for some reason.

Just pop a movie in.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

drat, the Type 7 flies like a pregnant dog.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckEUN_6TQh0

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cobra isn't as maneuverable and the positioning of the C1 hard points isn't fantastic.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Furiously posted:

Station rotation and docking port tip. Make a fist with your right hand in the same orientation as the station with your finger tips being the direction of rotation. The docking port is your thumb. Pretty cool how the game models physics correctly sometimes. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

Also thanks to whomever posted the 7 second rule for friendship driving. It's made me a lot less angry.

This was a good rule but casuals complained and now the station hologram has arrows on it :rolleye:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

The interface on that screenshot looks old. This is most likely from the betas, and was since tweaked. I don't think you'll get more than 24-26 on an Adder.

Beta 2.06

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm going to say the unpopular thing and suggest that maybe spreading your bug wealth is a bad thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Not to mention the fine print states Frontier will be examining the records of any potential winner with a fine-toothed comb.

Something tells me "CMDR Poopsock suddenly acquired a billion credits" wouldn't go unnoticed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

It may not affect you and me but some guy with 5 billion has a hell of a lot more of a chance at reaching some of the cash prizes. So they either cancel that cash prize thing (which is silly anyway) or manually go through each account's transaction log and fix them all, or rollback. I doubt they'll rollback.

What part of "we will be looking at the saves of people competing for the award" do you not get?

Or is this the manufactured outrage of the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

I hope they have some more exotic designs coming up, it's one of the few things I've been digging about that other game [thunder claps outside the window]. Ships from different manufactures/whatever really look different.

Where's the Clipper, Federation propaganda bullshit poster :argh:

e: Absolutely love the style of the Python, Anaconda and Type-7 though

It's pretty easy to pump out nifty concept drawings when nerds will shower you with cash for it.

They just finally got around to adding the Avenger didn't they?

• Locked thread