Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nooooo thread turn left turn left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

snipermonkey posted:

That is an awesome price, unfortunately I live in Europe and can't find one at the same price. The only reason I wanted a phone with an SD card slot, was because I already have a SD card that I would still like to use. Otherwise not really that important.

The Moto X is also a crapshoot when it comes to compatibility with European LTE bands, to say the least.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Where should I be looking for reviews/specs on smartphones?

I tend to take Ars Technica and Anandtech's reviews more seriously than others.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Whizbang posted:

I'm waiting for turbo QI charging. Sell me a goddamn tesla coil Tylt.

This, or charging over Wi-Fi.

Charging my phone just by entering a room? :getin:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but can anyone point me towards an official replacement battery for an Australian Galaxy Nexus? I like the phone and don't feel like upgrading (And neither does my wallet) but it's gone from a day-ish of charge to slightly less than six hours. This means anywhere I go has to have a charger which is super annoying. I've checked Amazon and the like but apparently all the "official" replacements aren't actually official according to the comments. I just want a battery that'll last me and not explode. I don't care about an extended battery I just would like to be able to step out for a day and not worry about whether my phone will die or not.

I'd also recommend you upgrade, but if that's not an option, I got my GNex replacement batteries off of eBay in the past.

Here's the eBay.au search for your reference.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A hilariously accurate summary of OnePlus's marketing approach:

quote:

That is a point I'd like to highlight, actually: OnePlus can only succeed at these lower price points where they aren't actually forced to directly compete with the likes of Apple, Samsung, or HTC's newest high-end phones. They can stay in the mid-range price tier with high-end-esque specifications like a big fish in a small pond, but they know full-well they'd be eaten alive in Lake Flagship. So, instead, they yell absurd and foolish things from the safety of their insulated price point, attempting to convince passersby that they're the real deal. And clearly, it works to some extent: consumers love nothing more than to be told that they're not only smart for saving money compared to "everybody else," but that they're actually better than other people for making that decision. It's like you're in a special club.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Given the choices available now, I think my best option to upgrade from my Nexus 5 is to hope for a Qi case for the 6P or 5X.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've been getting contradictory stories from articles regarding getting quick charging to work on a Nexus 6P, so I figured I'd ask this thread instead:

1. Aside from the official Google charger (that I can't buy as it's not available in my country), what other fast chargers are confirmed to work with the 6P?
2. If such a charger exists, will it work using any standard USB-A to USB-C cable? If not, what cables will it work with?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The LG G5's getting a rather chilly reception so far.

E: fixed link

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 1, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

docbeard posted:

I just wonder what they're gonna do when they get to Android Q.

Quince is pretty much their only choice unless they want to use a non-English dessert name.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm looking for a 1-ft USB-C to C cable to pair with my USB-C external battery that I'm using with my 6P. From what I've read, cables reviewed by Benson Leung are the least sketchy, but his reviews appear to be limited to A to C cables.

Any short C to C cables anyone can recommend?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

The reason he only reviews A to C is that C to C cables don't have the chip that can fry devices. C to C cables are all fine. The only difference is build quality.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe it's just me, but I feel I'd rather have the S7 Edge over the Note 7.

The battery is slightly smaller and the screen is bigger on the Note 7, and I'm not sure if the stylus and iris scanner is worth the $100+ price difference.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

I have a Nexus 6P, and my girlfriend has a Nexus 5x. We need a portable Pokemon Go Trip Extender battery charger. What's the best, cheapest option, even if it's just double our batteries or thereabouts? I'm wary about just picking one since a lot of times I'll discover in reviews that the charger only inputs USB-C, not outputs.

I bought the Tronsmart Presto, and I've been pretty happy with it. As per this review, it meets USB-C spec, and it has the Qualcomm QC spec only on the Type A port, so I have no concerns with using the Type-C port to charge my 6P.

The only caveat is that it comes only with a Type A to C cable (which has the proper resistor, so it can be used in a pinch), so you'll have to use a separate C to C cable to connect your Nexus to the C port.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

According to XDA, the Snapdragon version of the Note 7 still has performance issues.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Opinions on USB-C external battery packs? This is the only one I found that looks decent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK

Didn't they just do a recall of their stuff for not being USB-C compliant?

E: Yep, cable recall. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/28/anker-issues-recall-and-replacements-after-researcher-demonstrates-unsafe-usb-c-cables/

I use this one and it works great. You'll need a separate C to C cable to fast charge the 6p though.

https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-12000mAh-External-Battery-Technology/dp/B01GVBFBBO

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 29, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Where/what brand USB C to A can I buy that won't explode my Moto Z?

If I have an A to C cable can I use my existing Anker battery backup to charge it?

Any cable that is approved by Benson Leung should be fine: https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

Yup, a working A to C cable and your external battery should work, just don't expect fast charging.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Not sure how reliable the NY Post is, but they've reported a child getting burned by an exploding Note 7.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Nexus/Pixel = good, please god don't be too expensive
Samsung = bad
Motorola = bad
Asus = bad
LG = bad

Am I missing anyone, or is this the general state of Android hardware these days?

HTC, Sony = :lol:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/560luq/replacement_samsung_galaxy_note_7_phone_catches/d8fhh2s?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

If this investigation is valid, it's something in the kernel that's causing the phone to overcharge and cause battery degradation.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What's a good USB-C compatible battery pack that is quick charge capable and won't blow up in my backpack?

https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-12000mAh-External-Battery-Technology/dp/B01GVBFBBO

Still very happy with the one I got. You'll need to use a cable with C to C connectors for fast charging on a Type C device though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am not saying it is good, but didn't really see it being as bad an issue as the bad cables were. Though Google still selling them with phones that are supposed to "lead the pack" wasn't a good thing for sure.

One thing that puzzles me, is I thought the 6P charger was ok, it was the 5X charger that was the bad one. Interesting.

This was my understanding too. I recall reading that 5X chargers should not be used with any other unit, but nothing similar with 6P chargers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And I've been using the Choetech wall charger and Tronsmart car charger that they rated as -3 on my 6P for months. JFC.

Silver lining is that my 6P still appears to be fine so far. Now to spend another $60 or so to replace everything.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I ordered a battery pack last week based on that spreadsheet curated by Nathan K...now it's nowhere to be found on the spreadsheet. That doesn't bode well.

I wish I'd set up a notification for when changes were made.

According to this review, the A-C cable it comes with is out of spec - which isn't a good sign for the C-C cable either.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

In other (sadly familiar) news, Android Authority evidently doesn't care if the USB-C accessories they recommend gently caress up your Pixel.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

So if I need a USB C to C cable and don't want to pay Google or Apple $40 CAD for the official ones, are there any actually safe ones out there?

Anything rated 1 and up in the spreadsheet below should be ok to buy. The Anker A8181011 is cheap enough and should be fine (it's a 1 I believe mainly because it's still USB2.0 and data speed is 'only' 480mbps, but that shouldn't matter if it's just used for charging).

E: I'm an idiot and forgot to post the link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 19, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

so I was gonna buy a couple of those cables and

US Amazon doesn't ship this product to Canada. gently caress my entire life.

The IOGear or Belkin cables appear to be your next best bets. Price ranges from USD14-16, but at least they're Benson/Nathan-approved, available where you live and are not hilarious price gouges.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bull3964 posted:

<Quality analysis>

Seriously, thanks for doing this. I've been wondering what my best options are for replacing my out of spec USB-C chargers and still ensuring all-day access to charging and have settled on keeping my 2.4A car charger and just getting the Anker A-C cable. Glad to know your analysis supports that approach.

Given the warnings Nathan has given regarding the OEM charger for my 6P (Do NOT use with any other USB-C cable), I'm also getting the SONEIC and dodocool AC chargers. I suspect I'll end up with another USB-C phone by the end of the year and want to have non-proprietary options available.

Sadly, Google OEM stuff on the online store is not available here, so I'm settling for what's available on Amazon plus courier shipping.

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 22, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One OEM battery swap last December after 2 years of use and my Nexus 5 was good as new. No other hardware issues whatsoever.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

To further justify the thread title...

https://goo.gl/rhX0nr

"The OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, and Meizu Pro 6 are rigged to cheat in benchmarks, a report from XDA-Developers revealed."

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Splinter posted:

I'm confused by the USB-C cable/charger issues that have been reported off and on in this thread. Is it just chargers built for C that have issues? Am I okay charging my Pixel with either an Anker PowerCore 20000 portable charger or a SCOSCHE USBC242M car charger using the USB-A > C cable that came with the phone? What are my options if I need an A -> C cable that's longer than the Google one (for car charging)?

To echo the poster above me, A > C has been generally hashed out and as long as you use any of the approved A > C cables in this list, you should be fine.

If you really want to be 100% safe, you can pick up one of the approved car chargers from that same list. In fact, the general consensus is that using an A charger with a good A > C cable is the safest car charging option right now for Pixels.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Nothing they do comes off as having any consideration about a long-term culture of product quality, just "pay us another $400 next year."

Exactly this.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say, I've been meaning to ask you regarding car charging again.

Aside from your Tylt charger + adapter setup, is there any other reliable way of getting better than 1.5A without using a USB-C car charger? I've tried multiple 2.4A chargers along with both approved A-C Anker cables in Nathan's sheet and am still getting no better than 1.5A.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

E: Awful App strikes again :argh:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Approved means it's constructed properly, but it may have high IR drop which causes slower charging. I know he mentioned that specifically about some of the Anker Powerline cables.

I haven't really tried anything other than the chargers mentioned in the prior post, so I'm not sure what would be best.

I might have stumbled on why the Tylt RIBBN works to fast charge your Pixel.

According to Nathan K, Apple-type 12W charging can charge a Pixel at 2.4a, even using an A-C cable. Since the Tylt RIBBN also comes with a Lightning cable version, I suspect they applied the same Apple 2.4a signaling to both the Lightning and micro-USB variants.

Basically, you can fast charge your Pixel with any Apple 12w charger and any suitable A-C cable.

This applies only to Pixels, though - the 6P and 5x would still charge using these accessories at 1.5a only.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Just got a Pixel, fuggin love it.

Quick question: Do i really need to slavisly adhere to the recommendations in the manual to use only approved USB C chargers? are adapters bad? I have a big ol battery back I don't want to become obsolete?

You're in luck - goons have done a deep dive into this USB-C poo poo some time back.

A good summary of what's safe to buy for your Pixel can be found here, along with a follow-up for car charging here.

TLDR: Buy a couple of approved A-C cables (one for use with your battery pack), an Apple-type 12w car charger (use the other A-C cable here), and maybe a spare Pixel OEM charger.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

seravid posted:

The thread's recommendation for car chargers seems to be any good USB-A 12W (with an approved A-to-C cable), but is that useful for a 6P? I haven't found anyone confirming it can charge at 2.4A.

No, the 6p can only charge at 1.5a even on an apple 12w charger. Only the Pixels can respond to that special 2.4a signaling Apple's charger sends.

Nathan K is hopeful though that given the differences in the phones, this is simply a software difference and can be patched in a future update.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Q67ORK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_eX3Lzb3XZ9BRG

Is that one of the compliant chargers? I would rather not pay £29 direct to Google for their official one.

Based on the list of chargers reviewed by Benson and Nathan, I'd be hesitant to get any Choetech stuff.

That list hasn't been updated in a while, so the company may have released newer compliant stuff since then. Still, I'd recommend checking if any of the compliant chargers on that list are available where you live first.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://store.google.com/gb/product/belkin_15w_usb_c_car_charger?hl=en-GB

Was the original link. It's the Google recommend charger. This USB C stuff is worse than I thought.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HJ3H2ZM/A/belkin-car-charger-24a-12w?fnode=97

Is that the correct choice? The voltage is even lower than the previous link.

If that's not the one, can someone recommend a decent and safe fast car charger? I'm in the UK.

Edit: how about this one

Belkin Boost-Up 2-Port Fast Charging 2 x 2.4 A/24 W Universal USB-A Car Charger - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072QWRVTZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8gsPzbMWESM1Z

General recommendation is to look for an Apple 12w charger with a USB-A port and an Anker or Amazonbasics A-C cable. See the linked article below for an explanation.

anakha posted:

According to Nathan K, Apple-type 12W charging can charge a Pixel at 2.4a, even using an A-C cable.

This applies only to Pixels, though - the 6P and 5x would still charge using these accessories at 1.5a only.

The Apple link you gave seems to have the right charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, pricing for the 7 plus just got announced in my neck of the woods and price conversion has it at about €343.

I'm just about sure this will be my next phone since my 6P's battery life is getting pretty bad and I've been looking for a midrange equivalent to the Pixel 2 XL.