Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You could try grabbing a Bluetooth obd2 reader and forscan on a laptop to see if it has a diagnostic/reset. $10 gamble

https://forscan.org/home.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Steel wool on glass?

Isn't there a chemical I can buy :(

You could try a glass polish like 3m or Autoglym.

I don't think they sell 3m Glass polish in small quantities though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I don't really know where else to ask this - anyone familiar with the best (cheapest) places to buy tires online in Canada? Normally I'd order them shipped to the states and drive down but not happening for awhile.

I have no personal experience, but blackcircles.ca comes up a lot on redflagdeals

They have a 10% code now on top of the mail in rebates and such https://www.blackcircles.ca/en/vipcircles

Just poking around, before the discount they're more expensive than Costco on a bunch of stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NotNut posted:

Can you cover up hail damage with body putty when you're repainting a car?

Generally no, unless it's very very light. The filler will separate once it heat cycles in the sun a few dozen times.

If you're repainting anyways and dropping the cash on supplies to paint it anyways, spend the little extra on a stud gun and fix it right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

buglord posted:

How does a car move forward?

For a variety of uninteresting non-repair reasons I need to learn how cars work. Can I get a check for understanding and help with the last bit?

As I understand it, a 4 cylinder engine of a typical family sedan can have a 2 or 4 stroke mechanism. 2’s are used for smaller things like motorcycles but have some downsides, they were also made after 4 stroke. 4 stroke refers to the intake of air and fuel (latter being done by a fuel injector at the last moment), compression, explosion, and expulsion of air. Optionally, a turbo *thing* can be added where the expulsion of used air is spins a turbine as it leaves the car, which also sucks in more air from another source to provide more air for the engine.

Also opposite of the cylinders are usually 2 camshafts that have lobes on them which spin around thanks to the cylinders pushing them. These lobes physically push the intake and exhaust valves open so air can move in and out of the manifolds. Then there’s a crank shaft thing on the opposite end of the cylinders which gets pushed by the cylinders, and this mechanical energy had to go somewhere and turn into car-go-forward energy. Is that where the transmission comes in? I’m having trouble conceptualizing that conversion of energy and how it propels a car forward and why transmission is necessary for a car when more gas should mean more spinning disks which should mean more power…somewhere?

Fake edit: Also I forgot to put in that the liters or CC of an engine is determined by the volume of all the cylinders combined. This has some relation to the power of the engine of some sort. Also you can just add more cylinders instead of making them bigger which is potentially easier, which is why you see 4,6,8 cylinder configurations in either in-line l or V shapes (l6,V8). Is that right too?

A turbo is actually spun by the heat expansion of the gasses leaving the cylinder.

For the engine, imagine a wheel with a handle on the outside edge. you can produce rotation by moving that handle around in a circle. That's how the combusion stroke of each piston acts on it's specific area the crankshaft through the connecting rod.

In an automatic car there is what's called a torque converter. basically 2 fans in a chamber filled with fluid. the engine spins one fan, which moves the fluid, which then acts on the second fan that is connected to the transmission. This allows the engine to rotate when the vehicle isn't moving. The rotational force is converted into heat in the fluid instead of motion of the car.

In a manual car, the cluch directly connects the output shaft of the engine do the input shaft of the transmission through friction. A little slip between the flywheel(attached to the engine) and friction plate(attached to the transmission) allows the car to move from a stand still.

A transmission is just a series of gears which allows you greater leverage. First gear is usually around 4:1, meaning 4 rotations of the engine produces 1 rotation of the output shaft. Engines have areas within their RPM range where they make greater power and have greater efficiency. Having more gears allows you to stay more consistently within that band.

energy is then transmitted from the output shaft of the transmission into the differential, which splits the power between the driven wheels, and also allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds so the outside wheel in a turn can move faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

Your displacement is the area of each cylinder multiplied by the stroke, which is how far up and down each piston moves in the cylinder bore, multiplied by the number of cylinders. The ford 5.0 coyote for example has a bore of 92.2mm and a stroke of 92.7mm, therefore the displacement is π(0.5 x 92.2)?^2 x 92.7mm x 8 cylinders or 4.951 cubic centimeters. rounded up to 5.0 liters.

The speed of a flame is limited by physics. At a point, a larger cylinder bore won't have complete combustion within the combustion cycle. a longer stroke begins to limit RPM, or the speed at which the engine can safely rotate, so the only option is more cylinders if your desire is a higher horsepower, higher RPM engine.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also some times called “over fenders”, specially for that style

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Hey AI, I have a series of very stupid questions. I own a (fully paid off) 2011 Jeep Wrangler that I can't drive any more because I was diagnosed with a big fuckoff tumor. The logical thing to do would be to sell the Jeep to pay my medical bills, but the problem is, I was out so long that 1. the battery is dead, 2. I can no longer drive for medical reasons, 3. I can't afford to re-register the car - I was hospitalized after moving to Vermont and procrastinated on changing my plates (I know, I know). In VT, new registration costs "6% of the purchase price or the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) clean trade-in value, whichever is greater"; that amount of money is more than I make in a month since I'm buried under medical bills. Is there any way to sell a car without registering it, if I own the title? Should I replace the battery before selling it? And is it possible to sell a car if you can't physically drive?

Replace the battery. Ask Carmax, carvana , and Vroom what they will pay you for it. You might get a good no fuss offer on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Talk to your insurance to see if your premium drops if the car is in a secured garage. That might make it worth it. Otherwise, unless you get hail, living outside isn’t going to hurt it. Especially to the tune of a grand a year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NotNut posted:

Is it possible to fix up a car's interior? Looking at one right now and that's a sticking point. It's got falling headliner fabric, cracked plastic and fabric peeling off the door.

Absolutely. Headliner adhesive will fix the headliner and peeling fabrics. A hot stapler can fix the cracked plastics.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

smackfu posted:

Our 2010 Mustang has chipping / bubbling paint at the front edge of the hood. The hood itself seems fine, but it’s starting to look ugly. How would that normally be fixed?

It's a common issue on them, the aluminum begins to corrode underneath. The spot needs to be taken down to bare metal , the corrosion cleaned up, and the spot body worked and painted.

depending on your paint color/your skill/expected level of result, you could do it yourself with some sandpaper, glazing putty and rattle cans for about $50. A body shop repair could be anywhere from $200-$1000 depending on the paint color and your location.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

smackfu posted:

Thanks! That seems reasonable. It’s black which is hopefully the cheapest color?

Easier than metallics, but harder to make look perfect.

With a regular gloss color you also have the option of covering the leading edge of the hood with black vinyl like you would apply a clear bra after body work and have it look decent.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 27, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nwin posted:

I didn’t see any kind of waxing/car-washing thread so here goes:

I don’t have a lot of time to detail my car (a newborn and a toddler take most of my time) but I want to get rid of some scratches and a few chips on the hood. I try and hand wash the car once a month.

Here’s a link to some pictures. I don’t think they’re too deep but I’m not sure the best course of action. I didn’t take pictures of the chips but they are very small (like the size of a panko bread crumb) and I guess Dr. Colorchip is the way to go for those.

Anyways-what’s the best bang for the buck in fixing these scratches? I don’t think any of them are too deep.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gRNsRt1

There is a Detailing Thread that should be able to get you going.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Could be something as simple as a loose cat heat shield. Could be the trans lunching itself.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sarcastx posted:

Ausgoons: I'm in the States but trying to help my aunt find a good used car for my cousin's first car. Is there something like carsales.com.au but a bit less poo poo and with maybe a better dealer integration? She's mentioned seeing a few specific cars on dealer's lots but then I go on CarSales and there's a really limited view of what's available in her area - like, she'll say she saw a blue Corolla hatchback at a shop but then when I search for Corollas I won't be able to find the car she's specifically referring to.

I guess I'm thinking of like - how AutoTrader or cars.com in the USA seem to sync up with most dealer's inventory so that when you search for a specific make/model/year in a specific ZIP code you have a fairly accurate representation of actual cars you can buy.

She's in the sticks so it'd be helpful if the site allows you to start with a certain scope and expand outwards.

If it has to come from a dealer, lots of dealers list on gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cars-vans-utes/c18320

There's "seller type" on the left, and you can narrow it down to the area.

Also, grandma probably actually wants an XR6 ute, she just doesn't want to bring it up first.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PeterCat posted:

I replaced the steering gear and power steering pump on my 73 Cutlass Supreme. The pump and gear manufacturer's instructions for bleeding the system state to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock with the engine running with the wheels off the ground to get air out of the system.

Is this necessary? Everything I've been told says not to run the engine while the car is up on a jack or jack stands.

I'm considering just jacking the car under the engine cross member as that seems to be the most even point for getting the front wheels off the ground.

Do it just to make it easier on yourself. you don't want to strong arm the steering back and forth 30 times with all the weight on them. You don't have to get the front end high enough to work under it, and you're not getting under it, so it's not a big deal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RadioPassive posted:

semi tires are a lot more expensive, the gap between inflation system cost and additional wear on underinflated tires is probably bigger for semis than hummers

semi tire prices are almost inconsequential. A quality tire costs $400, a full set $4,000(although steers don't wear the ame) and could last for 300,000 miles, You burn well over $100,000 worth of fuel in that same distance. Maintaining proper inflation levels for fuel efficiency is more important.

cursedshitbox posted:

Class8 hardware is significantly larger than what is used in a humvee allowing for more robustness via oversized components which reduce wear and failure points.

One is also built for the military at a quality/price point, one built to do a job for 5yr/500k-mi at minimum.
The humvee is also IRS/IFS whereas class8 is typically on live axle front/rear. Fewer moving parts, Lower complexity.

Heavy trucks also already have robust air systems for the brakes/suspension.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

A suspension issue has recently got my Nissan Murano deemed unsafe to drive. It's sitting at a shop in south carolina and I'm trying to get a salvage company to come take it and give me money. Problem is, the car has a Canadian title that I never registered in the US. I'm here on a student visa and the temporary nature of my stay rules made it so I could avoid doing this. Turns out this has screwed me as far as being able to sell the car to a salvage company or even get someone to take the drat thing off my hands.

What should I do? Will it take forever to get the car registered?

I don't know if you can do it in the states, but in Canada what people do is just drop it at an auction with it's importation and mechanical fitness status disclosed. someone will give you $300 for it. Alternatively, take it to the Pick-n-pull, those motherfuckers even take stolen vehicles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PeterCat posted:

I finally completed replacing the steering gear and power steering pump on my 73 Cutlass Supreme. Seems like everything is fine, but the steering wheel is a couple of degrees off when the car is driving straight.

Can I fix this by disconnecting the rag joint, rotating the steering shaft a couple of degrees, and re-connecting it?

There is usually a flat spot on the steering shaft that the set screw rests against, it's not an area of adjustment. Assuming you mean you replaced the steering box, is the pitman arm keyed to go on at a certain angle? that may be what changed. If so, if it's only a few degrees, that would be corrected at the tie rods with an alignment.

Also, let's see that beast

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oooh, yeah, that's the stuff.

so awesome

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NotNut posted:

Is it a bad sign when you're selling a car and someone wants to buy it without test driving it, using Paypal or a cashier's check?

Yes, just ignore them, it's a scam

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Javid posted:

318. a more capable junkyarder than I could probably find one; I struck out locally + on the websites I know (most of which don't even list the part)

Have you checked Row52.com for a self service yard near you with similar vehicles?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks like the piece hanging down is in front of the axle, just a chunk of the fuel tank skidplate, but yeah, the what i believe is a rear frame stiffener bracket is completely gone and has been for some time by the look of it.

Get under there and poke around the frame rails. I'm guessing you can probably put a finger through them at this point, at which point the vehicle is probably scrap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

How might it have moved that way? Forgive me, I don’t know how the used market works in that area, by which I mean pre-dealer wholesale/etc.

Traded in by customer to dealer
dumped at dealer auction > inspection
Bought by used car lot > inspection https://www.autoconnectsales.ca/vehicle.asp?ItemID=357960
Bought by Ohio dealer, titled in Ohio
dumped at dealer auction within 1 month and 9 miles. https://plc.ua/auctions/lot/ford-fiesta-2014-vin-3fadp4gx8em201467-mh-3fadp4gx8em201467/
Now being sold by Used car lot in New Jersey

The Ohio dealer could just be an importer/wholesaler who doesn't bother with sales to end users, but risking the loss by selling it at a dealer auction after importing it seems crazy to me. Ontario also uses an obscene amount of road salt, and that would worry me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

Hiya AI, been a while. My Crown Vic was parked all through last year, and at some point in there, my center mirror fell off the windshield, base and all. There's a big ol block of adhesive still stuck to the glass. Good old Florida heat, eh?

So:
1. What's the best way to get the old glue off? It feels hard, I'm assuming it's some kind of epoxy.
2. What's the best way to reattach the mirror?

if you can, remove the old stuff with a razor blade.

There is a permatex mirror glue kits that come with a primer and activator and everything because you're gluing 2 really smooth surfaces together. they're like 5 bucks at an auto parts store.

Just make sure everything is really clean, and you only get 1 shot at it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 5, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's your windshield washer fluid reservoir for the front windshield because Mitsubishi are weirdos.

The filler should be behind a panel on the left or right side of the trunk.

Don't put hydraulic fluid in your windshield washer reservoir.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't tell how many splines there are from the picture, but either a 6 or 7 point spline drive socket. If you can get a caliper on it you can determine the diameter. Then pick one up from the auto parts store.

They look like this. https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/lug-nut-sockets/socket-type/deep-well-spline

If you can't figure it out, maybe talk to a tire shop they might have some on hand to determine which you need.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Remember to put the drain plug back in before you start refilling it.

:negative:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Was that written by a computer?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

e: i misunderstood

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hm, I’ve never heard of that. I have a propane torch and brake cleaner. I like the smoke machine idea but I don’t have the stuff to build one.

every machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where’s a good place to rent a Sprinter-style van these days? I’m in NYC fwiw and gotta make a run to a storage unit upstate.

The enterprise truck rental in Queens was like “yeah we don’t have anything. Not sure when that’ll change”

Home Depot.

$129 a day for a transit with unlimited mileage.

there's 1 available in Jersey City right now

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 28, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

climb underneath and cut a hole in the floor.

The owner will never notice and the airpods will slip right out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

I don't know if this is quite the right thread for this, but I'm trying to identify a car. I've driven by it a number of times now, but the road is too busy/without a shoulder to pull over and take a photo. I can't make out anything that looks like a name. It's very small, for one person or maybe two in a tight setup. I think it's probably from the 70s, going by the design and the particular shade of orange it's painted. It's wedge-shaped, and fairly flat out back, though I don't think completely flat. Pretty sure it has four wheels, so not some wacky three wheeled car. Large windshield, can't really remember if it has doors on the side or if it's a situation where the front of the car is also the door. Like I said, I can never make out anything like a brand name or recognize whatever ornament it has on the front, but I recall seeing some numbers on the side of it, set up like '40/30', though I can't remember the actual numbers, just pretty sure about the slash dividing them. Hopefully this isn't too vague and someone with knowledge of weird little cars from around the 70s has a thought.

sounds like a sterling kit car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Methanol will eat your rubber. You can get windshield washer concentrate on amazon for $10 and mix your own

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

taqueso posted:

The two SDS I looked up, Purple Power and Splash -20, both use methanol. These are kinds I would typically buy. Do I need to switch to something else?

If you don't live somewhere where it hits -40, nextzett has -20*C methanol free.

https://www.amazon.ca/nextzett-94252015-Anti-Frost-Windshield-Concentrate/dp/B004PGS368

Invalido posted:

If they're sold commercially they're fine. Here the main alcohol used for freeze protection is sometimes isopropanol but most commonly ethanol, but of the cheap denatured industrial kind that contains a methanol fraction too. A little methanol is no biggie, a lot might be.

I got a metal pouch of -85*c fluid in Ukraine once and it was 75% methanol. you could smell it whenever you hit the button.

All the windshield washer lines on my car are rubber, and i probably have to replace them all from pump to nozzle because of the methanol in the washer fluid. The rubber surround on my pickup windshield is porous and lifting, and is $160 drat dollars for like 5 feet of rubber.

hauling water at -40, we would keep pails of methanol wherever you could stick it, and it ate everything. if you ever need to strip undercoating, or get the rubbler handles off a tool, methanol will turn it to goo in a hurry.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 16, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where are the preferred places to get a rental these days? Trying to drive from LA to SF in mid january, and I want a non-shitbox to drive up the PCH.

Are the shortages still so bad that it’s “anything you can get”?

this far out you may be able to get a vette from hertz

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Do they have actually good Vettes or are they the base base model? Do they or other non-Turo places have Mustang GT vs. the V6?

base model C7s, which are still hella capable.

They also have guaranteed SS /GT/RT level muscle cars.

checking their website, they have a C63 AMG for 1300 a week but only 525 miles included. the muscle cars are unlimited.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

G37 sedan

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I answered before confirming

I knew it was one of the two because they are exclusively driven way too fast on bald tires by yobbos.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If experience has taught me anything, it’s going to start working again on the drive to the dealership and then quit again on the drive home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

By max AC actuator do you mean the recirc door?

The blend door actuator is pretty easy to access behind the glove box to test the actuator itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIogKGpr5UU

when you have the actuator out, you should be able to stick your finger in the hole the rod goes into and move the door manually to see if you get heat.

If the blend door actuator is good and the return line from the heater core gets hot, i would think it's the blend door itself inside the heater box which is a huge pain in the rear end, so much so that most people cut a hole in the air box instead of ripping the dash out.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 17, 2021