Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Someone asked about time travel movies, and I think Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel was decent. And Edge Of Tomorrow is basically Groundhog Day with mech suits.

But both are on HBO GO only :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Also, it's probably worth adding sources like https://canistream.it for finding streamable movies/tv across several platforms. Though I'm sure there are better ways.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

The cover of "The Fluffy movie" makes me irrationally angry.

That dude also has a special called "fluffy". Which I would presume is also an hour of the hackiest fat jokes ever conceived.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Desperado is an awesome movie and everyone should watch it before its gone.

Robert Rodriguez's Mariachi trilogy is great, also has these companion short movies (in the DVD extras :corsair:) called 10 Minute Film School that give great insight into his process. They're all on youtube for a 90's blast from the past.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

morestuff posted:

His cooking schools are better.

I've been trying to make puerco pibil forever but I can't find banana leaves in my area.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Robocop remake had impossible shoes to fill and I think they knew that going in and still made it tepid and unremarkable. As was said before, it introduced some interesting ideas that then went nowhere.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I watched half of the first half of the first episode of HOC probably 5 times over the last few years. I don't know why I never get around to watching it. I'm sure I'll like it, but the premise doesn't interest me that much. One of these days though...

The show is the very definition of slow burn because it has the advantage of not being beholden to ratings or week-to-week cliffhanger pressure because all the episodes of each season get released at once. I don't really even like it that much, but it's consistently solid if difficult to follow.

Basebf555 posted:

Elephant Man it is.

Bradley Cooper was on 60 minutes last week after the Oscars and he said that this is the movie that made him want to become an actor. He also does a Broadway play version which is supposed to be excellent.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

wafflesnsegways posted:

I love the French connection. Those car chases are GOAT, and they become kind of terrifying to watch when you learn that they were shot without permits with real, non-movie drivers on the road with them.

It's based on a true story, too, and the true story is completely unbelievable. Like I get that in 2015 the 100 pounds or so of heroin doesn't seem like that much compared to an Average Michael Bay Movie but in 1970 that represents the entire heroin supply for the eastern US. The actual cops involved tracked the shipment and sat in a dark basement for 3 days with loaded shotguns waiting for the pickup; They almost killed a janitor.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 9, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Anyone have any good recs for movies set in Greece? I just found out I'm going on a trip with work at the end of the month and wanna get into the mood. I have Netflix, HBO go and Amazon Prime. Thanks in advance!

HBO go has the 300 sequel, which is very loosely based on Greek history.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's very well shot, doesn't overly rely on quick takes, and if you can view it in 3D, I think it's one of the most artistically realized uses of 3D I've seen.

Seriously, the Slo-Mo effect in 3D is just beautiful. Was it shot in 3D or was it all post-production?

Yes, there were some making-of trailers you could probably find on youtube that show the insane camera rigs they used. Its like the only movie that really needs to be seen in imax 3d. The director even said his intent was to turn ultra-violence into art.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I like Nick Thune so I might actually watch that. There's also Bad Milo, where Ken Marino has some kind of animal that emerges from his bowels to murder people. It's pretty unbearable.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Is Bad Milo so bad and so self aware that it's good, like Poultrygeist (which is hilarious and amazing), or is it just Bad?

Ken Marino is a charisma machine, but he somehow just makes it boring.

If anyone has PS4, they have Powers as an exclusive, starring Sharlto Copely :swoon:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

Yeah, the plot just didn't go anywhere fun and crazy this season like previous seasons did. So though I much enjoyed previous seasons, I thought Season 3 was boring.

I thought it had potential for Frank to meet his match in the Russian president, and Congress to collectively realize they'd been played hard, but none of that really went anywhere, at least until I gave up around episode 5. Stamper is great as always, but I just couldn't weather the rest of the show.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Blood Ties is pretty good so far. This cast is out of control, everyone is in this movie. Herc is a criminal, Marlo Stanfield plays a cop, dogs & cats living together, the world's all topsy-turvy.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 24, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mr.capps posted:

what is with people and this phrase, I see it apply to every thing

its like the "pretentious" for comedy

It's like 'random for random's sake'. Danger 5 really relies on nonsense so much that it comes across as lazy and trying too hard simultaneously.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yaws posted:

Tusk was made for $5 million and still didn't make money. Smith is still getting work somehow.

I haven't seen Tusk but just looking at some screen grabs and at the very least it looks better than a lot of his earlier stuff. So maybe he's learned something in 20 years.

IMDB estimates a $2.8MM budget, with a Gross of $1.8MM, which is even funnier.

It's really funny if you've read his autobiography. His conclusion based on his career is 'gently caress everyone in hollywood, I'll do it myself because I now have a fanbase that supports me as an artist and will buy pretty much any bullshit I put out.'

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Speaking of violent rear end old timey shows. What's better Spartacus or Rome? I was thinking about starting up one of the two soon.

Rome is a better Serious Show than Spartacus, but Spartacus is amazing for scenery chewing and over-the-top sex & violence.

Also think of the protagonists in Rome as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of Caesar. Ray Stevenson :swoon:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Season 2 of Legit is up. It's ok, helps to be a fan of Jim Jeffries.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Then hells yes thank you. I can't wait. Soon as the brats are asleep.

So far I'm rooting for a child to be murdered by the Babadook. I don't know why but I always root for the monster in horror movies.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

david_a posted:

Occasionally the video itself is just bad. Dredd had weird problems with stuff being doubled, like they didn't do the 24 -> 30 FPS conversion correctly. Sounds similar to what you're describing.

Dredd was shot in 3d, I think it like randomly adds a right or left frame to the normal track, or poorly blends them, something like that. It came up in the thread last year.

They Came Together is like the smarter version of whatever Romantic Movie was trying to be. It uses every romcom cliche, but isn't nearly as heavy-handed. Can't decide if I like it or not.

vv: that's it, it's Wet Hot American Rom Com.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 25, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

That Works posted:

Any opinion about Turn on Netflix? Watched the 1st 2 episodes and it seems decent so far. The story is interesting enough so far and the acting is passable for a TV series I guess?

I really like Turn. However, I'm fascinated by the Revolutionary War spy stuff, and a big part of the season takes place in my hometown area (Morristown NJ). It's kind of slow, but it's well acted and a decent slow burn.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

I use subtitles for everything because modern sound mixing loving sucks. Crank the volume to hear everyone speaking in whispers and end up shaking the whole apartment when something goes boom.

Is any of the newer stand-up stuff on Netflix any good? Watched some of the Chris D'Elia one and it was impressively terrible.

I like Tom Segura's Completely Normal.

Has anyone else watched Dawg Fight? It's a pretty brutal documentary about backyard fighting in Perrine county, Miami. The violence is fairly hard to watch and the boxing technique is pretty awful.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Banshee Season 1 is on Amazon Prime and I heartily recommend it as better than the sum of its parts. B-television on a premium channel, over-the-top sex & violence, acting quality all over the place, but it's still awesome because you get the sense of the actors and film makers are having fun.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Did something weird happen to netflix/hola today? I was in the middle of Fargo Season 1, and it just stopped out of the blue, and isn't on any of the other regions it's supposed to be.

edit: magically reappeared just now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Speaking of Justified and westerns, the 4th season of Hell on Wheels was added on Netflix recently. It's generally a solid western frontier story with a good dash of Civil War aesthetic thrown in. It's highly dramatized/fictionalized of course, but all in all I think the quality of the show has maintained itself.

I was glad to see there was a new season up because I just wrapped up season 3 of Sons of Anarchy and that turned out to be a bit of a slog to get through. Should I forge ahead? I've heard negative things about the quality of the show as it drags on.

Sons of Anarchy is melodrama for dads who buy Harley(tm) branded apparel so that people know wherever they go that they own a Harley(tm) and only ride it on weekends if it's sunny out or rev it in their garage once in a while during the week if upper management gives them poo poo about their TPS reports.

I slogged through it and besides the gaping plot holes my favorite parts were whenever they had to edit The gently caress out of chase scenes to give the illusion of speed to these modified tractor engines on wheels. I like to compare it to Spartacus, which is actors having fun chewing scenery with a terrible script, whereas SOA is actors chewing scenery dead serious with a terrible script.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sutter doing GOT should be hilarious.

He's going to write himself in as the equivalent of Dinklage's character, calling it now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

We were talking about double features, does watching one specifically for an actor count? Or are there other fun ones to like, see their range?

I watched Black Sails on Starz Play, then Vexed on Netflix. Toby Stephens is solid.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I binged through Narcos in a few days, and need to see more of Padilha's work now. Elite Squad: Enemy Within is on Netflix, but Elite Squad isn't. Can I watch Enemy Within first, or should I wait and track down Elite Squad?

The first one helps to flesh out a little bit more of the second, but it's not required. You can watch the first one using Hola set to Brazil, I believe.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Starks posted:

narcos is very good but very weirdly paced. they basically zoom through like 10 years in the first five episodes and then the time progression gets way slower. Its almost like they planned for a 1 season show and then halfway through they learned they were gonna do another one. I hope they don't try to drag it out longer than one more season.

It really would have worked as a one-season biopic, it's not long after the end of the 1st season when Escobar dies in a rooftop gun battle with US Marines.

Also no mention of his man-eating hippos on his estate, just dumb birds. Though a scene of Pablo throwing someone to be eaten by a hippo would be unbelievable, it absolutely happened.They've found millitary-clothing-clad arms and boots containing human feet in the stomach of one of his hippos.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I just watched a bunch of Nicolas Cage movies. The best one on there now besides Lord of War is probably Snake Eyes, there are a couple of shots in it that are so long and complex I had to rewind them to see where they started. Even if you don't like the movie the scene where he walks into the stadium is awesome and basically why they did the whole thing. The Outsider (?) is almost worth watching because Cages character loses an eye part way through and just squints his eye for (most of) the rest of it

I saw snake eyes at a drive in and can confirm it owns, but also drive ins are the best format to see any movie. I want to buy a drive in and somehow hook Netflix up to it. Drive in.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Is Netflix losing any classic horror movies like Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, or Black Sunday? That's all I'm really concerned about for this month.

I think Netflix's licensing agreement means most of the major horror movies are gone for the month of October in the leadup to Halloween.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Man From Nowhere is the gold standard for action thrillers, for me at least.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Is there anything worth watching on Showtime aside from shameless?

This is late but Ray Donovan is excellent.

In case you guys were wondering, the new Anjelah Johnson comedy special can safely be filed under 'catchphrase comedian.' I thought I'd give a comedienne I've never heard of a chance. She makes this weird 'ooh ooh' sound to punctuate every sentence for the first 10 minutes (where I turned it off), and I can also confirm she makes the same sound/punctuation in various podcast interviews in to support the release of this special in the past few weeks.

OOH OOH (throat clucking sound)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

wafflesnsegways posted:

Top Gun is just about a bunch of straight dudes enjoying each other's bodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyN8VN4BSzM

red19fire
May 26, 2010

speshl guy posted:

Doc and Marty are cursed to forever be drawn toward each other and travel through time in every possible alternate reality. In the span of one night on October 26, 1985, every possible Marty traveled to another timeline at once, and infinite iterations of Lorraine and George were greeted the next morning by a changeling Marty: a strange boy they had never known but identical to their son in every way.

Marty wakes up initially surprised at the state of affairs in the family and community, but quickly reconciles with his fate and, without remorse, assumes the role of a boy who will never return.

speshl guy posted:

I suggest checking out Source Code

This is now making me :aaa: because Source Code does the same thing. You have this school teacher who after Jake Gyllenhaal's helicopter pilot takes over his consciousness suddenly stops a terrorist attack, gets the girls, and rides off into the sunset. But he doesn't know anything about this school teacher's life, and to everyone around him he's suddenly a badass. Like he can't just show up at an army base and say he's a pilot, and he's probably not too hot at teaching social studies. So what does he do like a week after the movie ends?

Seconding that a 'side effects of time travel' movie/documentary would be fascinating.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

speshl guy posted:

yeah, but also the implication from the ending was that every time they loaded up the program to send Jake Gyllenhaal into that dude's memory, they copied and pasted a new universe into existence, each of which also had their own shady government source code organization within it making new universes ad infinitum.

Also, every time the Source Code succeeds, the government people have no idea that it worked since he's stopped a terrorist attack before it happens. So there's multiple iterations of Gyllenhaal's consciousness inhabiting people in the 'final' world, right? That's what I thought, anyway.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Slandible posted:

Broadchurch season 2 stuff I was also confused by most of the season. The trial was pretty unexpected and completely outrageous. I'm sure trials are a bit different than they are in the US, but just completely throwing out the confession and the defense building a case only on speculation the entire time is idiotic. The old case Hardy was on was uninteresting too, I never felt like I really cared about it. Uhhg, why didn't they just convict Joe and have a new case for season two? Or at least make his prior case better, not some half bit side story.

I chalked a lot of what I didn't like about Broadchurch to not understanding the British legal system. However, the defense's argument against the cell phone & laptop would have been shredded by even a law school dropout. The argument was even though there's a burner cell phone purchased by Joe, only called by Joe's cell, and emails to the kid's email sent and signed by Joe, somehow there's reasonable doubt since they can't prove that Joe had the phone/laptop in hand when the calls/texts/emails are sent. As if he's being framed by the WORLD'S GREATEST PICKPOCKET/CAT BURGLAR.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Banshee is amazing and it should be the most popular show on TV right now.

This isn't even the best fight of the first season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRPaucl8r4

I think I said it in the Banshee thread, but I was on the fence about this show up until this scene, then I was ALL IN.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There's an amazing bit with that kid where they show a guy saying something about the people who misidentified the terrorists not going outside, and then it cuts to the kid in a parking lot looking at his iPad. I don't think it was glorifying Buzzfeed, Buzzfeed's kinda there so the film can point to the dire state of Internet news, that a website known for clickbait and listicles, was one of the better news sources for this story.

This was incredible to watch in real time, I should probably give the doc a shot. I just remember a lot of redditors getting hyped up about THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO CATCH REAL TERRORISTS WE'RE GOING TO DO IT BECAUSE THE COLLECTIVE HIVEMIND IS BETTER THAN THE FBI BECAUSE WE'VE ALL SEEN CSI ON NETFLIX and a lot of screen caps from the marathon with faces circled in mspaint.

And like hours later there were a ton of press releases from the police saying pretty much 'congrats, idiots, you found off duty cops'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Making of a Murderer will make you yell at the TV so warn your neighbors

I just started this. Good lord how does this guy not lawyer up immediately when the murder investigation starts. 8 more episodes of this? I'm going to lose my mind.