Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008
what the hell is a "sward" anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

well yeah that much is obvious but im wondering if were gonna get like a 7gb heavenward patch or if there was supposed to be a separate download someplace for early access.

have you considered firing up the launcher

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Fellow ASTs: What do your hotbars look like?

sunny, with a chance of incineration

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mo0 posted:

Finally on the last leg of my trip home. Anyone willing to indulge my need for info and describe how AST plays in comparison to WHM now that you've had a couple days to get acquainted with it?

e: f, someone already posted that kinda

Sorry, I'm excited to return is all

It feels not quite as effective at direct healing as a WHM, and not quite as effective at shielding as a SCH. Don't get me wrong, it can hold its own, you're just not really going to be healchamp 2k15, or popping massive boners at your gigantic shields the way scholar will. The cards are super fun, especially once you get royal road, spread, and shuffle in the mix. Otherwise yeah, it's going to have an eerily familiar feel to white mage, with just a bit of distinction in some of the flavor spells (aspected benefic, for example). I like the job a ton coming from SCH, and never really liked WHM, so clearly it's got something "more" than WHM has going for it from my perspective.

edit: vvvvv you're not wrong about stance dancing being risky. Essential Dignity is Really Good and lets you play russian roulette with your tank (a low-hp dignity heals for nearly full), but you can only do that once every 60s.

kojei fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 21, 2015

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Renegret posted:

That brings up another issue with AST buffs, to get the best use out of the skills, you really have to have a pretty good understanding of most of the classes in the game. Whenever I get The Spire, I have no idea who to dump it on since I don't know which classes benefit the most from TP reduction since the only TP using class I've taken to 50 has been warrior.

Any non-caster during an aoe fight in dungeon content. Monks, ninjas, bards in 8-man stuff. It's kinda a bad card for 4-mans because nothing lasts long enough for it to be any good outside of aoe packs, and those seem to be dying off with every patch.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Renegret posted:

I'm enjoying F5ing that post every minute and watching it change (I do the same don't worry)

Spear is cooldowns (recast), Arrow is attack speed iirc. Spear won't actually make you attack faster, so if you have your BLM fireball with a 2.5 cast/recast speed, dropping spear won't change that. It will, however, reduce Raging Strikes, convert, etc etc.

I like throwing Arrow down on Monks. I'll be damned if I crunch the numbers to find out if it's actually worth it, I just like the concept of making the fastest attacking class attack even faster.

I'll probably wind up doing the same to BLMs when they have Ley Lines up.

We're talking about our yu-gi-oh cards in steam chat :shobon:

the card descriptions for spear and arrow are really lovely and not intuitive at all.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

I think my retainer is having an identity crisis.

(She talks without an accent in every other line, but for this one line she suddenly is getting all Limsa Lominsa on me).

She's putting on an act in all the other lines :ssh:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

a cat on an apple posted:

Someone hasn't started on solo MSQ duties yet, thinking those kind of things.

I just almost timed out on a duty because of how pathetically little DPS I could put out as an AST. I won purely because I got lucky and drew multiple Balances and Arrows.

:gitgud:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

As soon as I got into Ishgard and went into the manor to meet the elf with the sweet stache I left o go level DRK asap and forgot to grab the next story quest so now I'm lost. Where's the manor so I can start doing quests again?

Last vigil, look for the pile of nerds in front of an npc

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

seiferguy posted:

I haven't played AST yet, but looking at their abilities, it seems like it outclasses WHM in every way. What's the benefit to sticking to WHM now?

It really doesn't. It's slightly weaker than WHM at raw healing, and slightly weaker than SCH at shielding. WHM is still going to be King poo poo of raw healing, so if that's why you liked that job then keep with it. That said, AST is super fun and has really nice utility that can't really be replaced with the other two healer jobs.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
She's an independent au ra female that don't need no man

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Is broil the new ability that sounds like a loving party horn?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Ouhei posted:

People actually go to an inn to log out? Why?

for the fetishy animations, obviously

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

cadenza posted:

So... no? I haven't played in 18+ months and have no idea.

There's two FCs full to the brim, and one more with about 100 dudes in it. That's about 1100 people, if you're counting.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
they should've made AST have to play triple triad mid-combat to pull buffs from the deck tbqh

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

The gif sucks because the program I made it with only records for a few seconds :v:

Gifcam

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I am destined to be stuck on Ravana, I guess. This expansion has been a serious letdown between the ridiculous barrier to flight and somehow being completely unable to get seven people decent at this game together for an unchallenging boss fight.

And don't tell me to ask the guild, I've been completely ignored four loving times.

what ridiculous barrier to flight

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Red Red Blue posted:

I've used random duty finder groups for all except one of the dungeons I've done this expansion and they've all gone near flawlessly except for a few wipes on Bismarck, maybe you should get good :smug:

This except completely unironically.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really, there's no winning.

There's a fundamental difference between the act of annoying people and being annoying

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

rock2much posted:

I thought the Raw Intuition bug was a good bug? I'm only half paying attention to the crit heals I get when I pop it. Are they halved otherwise or something?

They're not a guaranteed crit otherwise. It's like the opposite of the Awareness bug from 2.0 and there's no way it's staying.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

a cat on an apple posted:

Also, it doesn't seem to count as a Channeled spellcast - you can just sit there and tank damage so long as it doesn't disposition you without ever being interrupted, and with as strong healing as it offers, dodging telegraphs is more than optional.

Amusingly enough, even if you get knocked up on, say, the last boss of Neverreap, it will still stay in effect.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Also I asked earlier but never saw an answer, are tanks at 60 (especially DRKs) still wearing STR rightsides/putting their bonus stats in STR

yes and it's infuriating because they're all also dying like bitches

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

The fact that these questions have to be asked speaks volumes for how awful FFXIV (and SE in general) account management is :(

Not really, though. The dude's being incredibly vague about what he's done, and if he had actually followed the directions the game gives you for getting set up, he wouldn't be having difficulties figuring out what an "Enix ID" is considering it literally guides you through the process. FFXIV account management is dead simple if you can read.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Desmond posted:

A, I'm not a dude. I guess that should explain it all :rolleyes:

yes i was totally trying to turn this into a gender issue rather than using a generic masculine form as a gender-neutral term, you caught me

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Desmond posted:

Alright, I was just being snarky back. I thought I could get some help from someone who may have experienced issues, and all I get is I can't read.

have you attempted to start the game up at all yet because that's got big buttons to mash for creating accounts and stuff on first launch

edit: if by "played before" you mean "played during 1.0" just log in with the information you used for that account.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Zerilan posted:

What set is this, I need it.

Maelstrom officer chestpiece, augmented bard hat, gloves from.... lost city? Not sure about the boots.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Give SAM a tank stance that automatically increases the rate of parry from the front by some high number that approaches 100%, from the sides by some slightly lesser amount. Mitigation cooldowns could then increase the effectiveness of parries by some amount so you'd be mitigating +20% damage from parry or whatever. Give it a guaranteed parry for tankbusters, and some way to mitigate magical damage and congrats you have a (somewhat) unique tank

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

year199X posted:

Monk is super enjoyable with the simple creation of two macros, one for all of your rear positionals and one for your flank positionals

:catstare:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, you have to do some waiting and that sucks, but we all had to do it. It's worth the wait though since FFXIV turned out to not suck and the goons turned out not to be jaded cynical dicks and like helping newbies for the most part so there's still hundreds of dudes in both all three FCs.

fixed

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

kojicolnair posted:

It worked for me but then everyone says it doesn't so who knows?

It works perfectly fine, I've transferred two separate characters, both during holy poo poo primetime, and neither took more than like ten minutes to resolve.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Virulence posted:

ok but

Where's Hawk's Eye on your bars?

and people wonder why mch is "underperforming"

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Evader posted:

Here's hoping that by the time I reach Heavensward Dark Knight will no longer suck!

:confused:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Evader posted:

Eh, so much of what I've read was making GBS threads on the new classes. I decided to ignore it all and build with Dark Knight in mind from the word go, so I am actually cheered up by those responses!

You should probably ignore literally everything you read about any class that you haven't personally verified yourself because holy poo poo people are hyperbolic about stuff lately

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I keep finding myself wishing this game had the option to automatically switch to a cold-weather glamour set whenever I'm in Coerthas or whatever.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Wildebeest posted:

Did the second one for the first time on Sunday. Me and another guy missed the authorization part, got lost for 10 minutes, and finally met the group right at the end. No one said a word in chat.

way to go, warrior of light

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
that quote is gonna be out of breath if people run it around in this thread anymore

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Etrips posted:

Doesn't it cost $18 to transfer?

He did say "easier", not "cheaper".

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

{/vanudance}

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I haven't read the thread but has "it's ok, she only looks like a child she's actually 5000 years old" been trotted out yet?

what do you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Kibner posted:

When he says guilds, this is because we have three on the Excalibur server. They aren't splinter groups or anything, we just hit the member caps and had to create new ones.

not some poo poo-rear end tiny member cap like 100 or anything either, the cap is 512

• Locked thread