Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

JerryLee posted:

Magic: The Gathering: Look Again, The Mana Is Now Diamonds

Anything is possible when you look like Kozilek and not a lady. I'm on a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Kabanaw posted:

♦U, enchanted land becomes wasted.

:weed: Moon.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Something occurs to me. Why didn't they reprint Vindicate in the BW commander deck? I mean, Vindicate is literally the perfect BW card, and one of the few perfect Magic cards in general. Did they fear including a $15 card would overbalance its value compared to the other decks?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I love that Spectral Chaos has both Numerical Hack and ½ mana. Clearly this is the un-set we deserve.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

What BFZ should have done is, instead of having C be relegated to the second set, gone all-in on it. Straight up have a sixth of the creatures and spells and stuff be C, cut off chunks of the color pie for it, the whole nine yards.

Then, in OGW, you bring in Devoid, but have it only on spells that cost both C and one or more other colors.

This solves many problems: it makes Devoid less underwhelming because people aren't asking "Why is this spell that costs red colorless?" It's colorless because it costs colorless and red. It also reduces the proliferation of four-color decks, because splashing colorless is rather harder than just filling your decks with fetches and bofas.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is anyone concerned about Sphinx of the Last Word? 7 mana seems very achievable now, I feel like blue will get it too good for too long, and also priced out of FNM.

And you think this sphinx is what's going to price blue out of FNM?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I and every other Judge who posts are currently filling out your suspension as I type, lest we too be banned for failing to staunchly defend Wizards intellectual property.

Joke's on you, your report of his suspension will be used as evidence against you.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Standard has been a dumpster fire since Murdergoats rotated

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Elvish Spirit Guide to cast it? (sorry)

Well, it does hit lands, and if there is nothing but lands at the top, you can still get the best land (like a fetch).

The only time a deck with this should fail to hit is if you play Oath T1 and get your other three Oaths.

Also, with the new mulligan rule, if Oath and an untapped green land are in your opener, you can scry away a miss or know what you'll get with it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Zoness posted:

Why isn't Sea Gate Wreckage a gate honestly.

Because it's wrecked, duh.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Entropic posted:

Speaking of devoid, if a creature with devoid loses all its abilities (say, from Turn to Frog or the like), does it gain whatever colors are in its casting cost?

e: Actually it looks like most Remove Ability cards actually set a color. Darksteel Mutation then? Or Humble / Humility?
No, they stay colorless. Color-changing effects are on layer 5; ability-removing effects are on layer 6.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Olothreutes posted:

If you want the death threats for sure, you should video yourself taking them out and clipping them to the spokes of a gold plated bicycle with license plates that read "gently caress nerds" that you then ride around for 5 minutes or so to whatever music you want.

E: Or total silence, so that you can hear the cards as they hit the fork every time, around and around. So many tears.

Seto Kaiba? Is that you?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Pretty sweet, but I wish he had worn the helmet too. At least while he was on-camera.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A race of creatures that Urza made for troops for the Phyrexian invasion. They're blue.

And they're from 2000. Clearly they're what's returning for Shadows of Innistrad.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Wonder what we're gonna get for graveyard hate in this set. There's looking to be a whole lotta recursion going on, and the last standard wasn't exactly hands-off with its graveyard either.

We're probably going to get more shuffle effects than exile effects, given how the latter interacts with processors.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

sarmhan posted:

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO DAD, I'M AN ADULT.

I like this little guy. He's always going to be swinging on turn 2, and when the opponent gets two creatures out, or shoots removal at him, you can pop him for a card.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Madmarker posted:

I hate him because he isn't Tamiyo.

:agreed:

I hope he gets pulled back to Ravnica and has to do his desk job there for the rest of his life, and Tamiyo becomes the blue planeswalker that shows up everywhere.

(Probably won't happen, because Jace is a neckbeard and a cheeto-stained hand away from being a Magic player, while Tamiyo is a g-g-girl. Which one do you think WotC feels will sell more cards?)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Also, EDM's going to end like this:

Jace confronts Nahiri. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because Sorin wrecked my plane by binding the Eldrazi to it!"

"Well, we unbound them. And killed two of them."

"Really?" Then she kisses him and joins the Jacetice League.

Sorin does absolutely nothing of significance. As usual.

Tamiyo planeswalks away with Arlinn, finds Kiora, Ral, and Narset, and forms the Cloudcrest Lake Avengers.

Bolas poses with his foreclaws touching and says, "Yes, just as planned." even though he had nothing to do with anything that happened here.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I just noticed the Briarbridge Patrol/Tamiyo's Journal combo and suddenly I need to brew this deck.

Sincerely hoping for a new Emrakul in EDM

Might that actually make Confirm Suspicions constructed playable? (Probably not.)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Sickening posted:

Its taking a turn off to play an anthem on turn 3 into a 4 cmc creature on turn 4. Vigilance doesn't make this insane to me.

More like you play an anthem, and then swing with your 1- and 2-drops, which are now bigger and vigilant. This helps them get through and survive or trade up from blocks.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

im the mono-red deck with 18 one-drops

I think I would replace four of those with Abbot of Keral Keep, but which four?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I want pre-retcon Narset to have awakened her spark and planeswalked away before Sarkhan destroyed the timeline. It'd give us a Jeskai planeswalker, and I'd love to see Khans Narset meet Dragons Narset.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Zoness posted:

Do you mean the documentary or the gameplay model because both apply here.

Goddamn enter the battlefield is trash.

Sounds like there needs to be a documentary about the Platinum change, called "Leave the Battlefield".

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Mikujin posted:

It wouldn't be MODO if new cards didn't break it: if players draw a game due to Triskaidekaphobia, while in an event. regardless of the final outcome of their match the game won't really end and it causes the event to stall out and get cancelled.

Truly the pinnacle of technological achievement.

Nah, it's not MODO until adding new cards causes old cards to break it. Have we had a card that previously worked stop working yet?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Dashiel_Bad_Horse posted:

quote:

I would just appreciate a play environment where people would do at least the bare minimum to be in a social setting
Look, obviously it's better if we all wear deodorant. But the subtext of asking people to wear deodorant is divisive and elitist. Because when I tell you to wear deodorant, the caveman part of your brain hears: "ooga booga. Me big important. You small. You do what I say or you not in tribe anymore".

quote:

I'm not trying to be denigrating
You're not? Could have fooled me. When you try to act all "polite" and "proper", you're associating yourself with Gentry values like conflict-avoidance and civility. Gentry = high status. By implication, the smelly people are low status. What's worse than calling someone an rear end in a top hat? Telling someone they're not a real member of society. You market your approach as advocating common sense, but you're really waging class warfare. Which I'm in favor of. I just think Gentry values are lame.

See here for an overview. http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/01/30/staying-classy/ Disclaimer, I do not agree with or identify with S. Alexander.

quote:

I would just appreciate a play environment where people would do at least the bare minimum to be in a social setting
Yes me too. I'm the first person to complain about my opponent's breath wafting over from across the table. However, the solution to wage a SJW campaign to get people to wear deodorant is foolhardy and serves only to increase the status of the SJWs spearheading the movement.

Wow Gabi Spartz. Wow she's a girl. Wow she told those guys to use deodorant and she was super nice about it too! Whoops I want her approval how did that happen? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negging

Asking people to wear deodorant: Literally robocop class warfare.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Is Sea Gate Wreckage not seeing play in Burn? It seems like a great way to get extra cards once you're in topdeck mode.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Honestly I'm just glad they followed the rule of 'if you're gonna give your kid a terrible nerd name make it a real one'. That kid could have been a little Ajani Goldmane

Ajani is a real name, too.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

ButtWolf posted:

What's the funnest deck you've played/built? Links please. Want to try some new stuff.

This Nekusar deck which fills your opponent's hands, then smashes them in the face with their own hands. "Not the cards! NOT THE CARDS! AAAAAAH! THEY'RE IN MY EYES!"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Deckit posted:

In a world of ghost quarters for manlands, Maze's end runs sad.

That's why Life from the Loam exists.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Zoness posted:

magic needs plays of the game

Plays of the game:

Miracles player spinning top for 2 minutes
Standard player hitting 2 creatures with collected company
Modern player assembling natural tron

request: someone take bonfiregif and set that to the overwatch play of the game music please

Past plays of the game:
Dropping Notion Thief on a JtMS activation
Enchanting Deadshot Minotaur with Splinter Twin (RIP Twin)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

July 13th isn't a Friday.

Also, if they want to have cool cards for FNM promos, I would personally add in a full-art, foil Emrakul-themed Wastes since Kozilek and Ulamog have their own themed Wastes and Emrakul didn't get one.

Blame the Mending. There were shitloads of time rifts; one of them ate enough days to make July 13th a Friday.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Serperoth posted:

Calling it now. Meld will work 100% perfectly fine.

When Eldritch Moon releases, Howl From Beyond will not require you to PAY the X, Wall of Mulch will not require you to sacrifice anything, just "G: Draw a card.", and Agonizing Demise will only let you target your own creatures (but will still deal damage to the opponent).

From what I've heard, MTGO bugs aren't reasonably expected. See also: two versions of the same card, one of them not working.

Yeah. I expect it'll be even less explicable than "Goblin token blocks Serum Visions".

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

So this is what Wizards thinks of fusion...

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

When Haunted Dead enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into play.

1B, discard two cards: Return Haunted Dead from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

Zombie goasts, leave this place!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

So they're pushing mono-black madness rather than RB? This guy turn 2, the 5-drop turn 3?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

quote:

A somewhat recent example is that when Lightning Bolt was in standard (with Magic 2010 and 2011, long before my time here), I’m told that the development team of the time had to pull back on a lot of other areas where red could have been powerful. The result was that a lot of decks splashed red just for Lightning Bolt, and there wasn’t as much reason to be base red. That dynamic can often cut back on deck diversity. In general we’d rather spread out the power among lots of different things each color can do, rather than concentrate it in one card or area.
Another reason is that by not having the absolute most pushed version of each type of effect, we open up a lot of design space to have meaningful choices between alternatives. For example, choosing between Magma Spray to exile creatures at instant speed versus Lava Spike to deal extra damage directly to your opponent leads to more creative deckbuilding and shifting metagames than the correct answer always being Lightning Bolt.
-Ian

So instead, you have the correct answer be "don't play red". I fail to see how this is an improveent.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

WotC already han entire team of insane Planswalkers, it was called the Invasion block.

And they're all dead now.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm holding out hope history repeats.

No, we're talking about the cool planeswalkers, not the Jacetice League.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Regrowth + Amulet should make for some good times, too.

This card is going to enable some truly monstrous things in EDH.

Also, this plus the classic combo of Seismic Assault + Swans of Bryn Argoll. Or this plus Countryside Crusher. Or this plus Knight of the Reliquary. It combos with a lot of cards that are already good in Modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

kizudarake posted:

56kgofuckyourself.post

Also, image leeching. I don't feel like opening all those broken-rear end images in new tabs just to see what the gently caress they are.

• Locked thread