Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

So did that guy manage to keep his balls or was it all blown off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Larry Parrish posted:

I guess it's stupid to solder indoors with no ventilation but I don't think I'd ever want a freaking fume hood. Open a window or door or something and blow a desk fan towards it.

Suck, don't blow

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Say Nothing posted:

Homemade log splitter. there's a lot of these on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsObwqD788

Here's one that's not actually bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-XcO7mcD0

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Looking at getting an oxy/acetylene setup (well, I am getting my dads, for free, sans hoses, regulators and tanks, so basically a torch kit) and it's a whole bag of OSHA if done wrong.

I was looking for videos of what happens when you get a flashback and the flame goes back into the hose but I didn't find anything, this was the closest thing but nobody seems sure what the heck is happening in the video, if the torch exploded or if it was something else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjKRbgGDhHs

My dads torch is an AGA X-11 torch, can use propane or acetylene with different tips, I took it apart, glass bead blasted and cleaned all the parts, it looks to be in excellent shape, only it is so old it has no check valves or flame arrestors on the torch. But those are modular pieces that can be added on.

However in researching this I've come across different ways of doing this, in europe we put flashback arrestors at the regulator end and only check valves at the torch. In the US you put both things at the torch. Which method is safer? Seems that if you get a flashback in a US configured torch it stops right there, on a euro torch it goes back to the regulator and stops there, but won't the hose explode? Perhaps very violently? One pro of the euro system I hear is that if the hose ruptures or melts, the acetylene and oxygen might catch fire and travel back the hose to the tank and welp if you're using the US setup, you've go the stops at the torch and you just bypassed this, with the euro system you stop the danger at the regulator, but you loose the hose? Not sure what happens if the flame goes that far back down the hose.

Perhaps the reasoning for the euro system is a ruined hose and perhaps torch is worth protecting the tanks better? The US system seems better in those situations where the hose isn't damaged directly, but leaves a big gap in those events.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Insects are just a bug, not a feature.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why is that one boar an aardvark?

It's a boaardvark, commonly found down by the sea.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Important question, what was the medication he was taking?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Annual in Finland too, and since it was privatized in the 90s sometime, about 1000% more expensive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This thread has convinced me to never goto a water park again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What a shoddy looking plug that is. Get some CEE plugs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It seems that if you goto Yellowstone you should be armed at all times. So incase anyone falls in you can put them out of their misery at once, or yourself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Protagonist posted:

What are the physical properties of slag like? It seems like you could make lovely bricks out of it or something.

Not sure if it applies to all types, but our accumulating wood burning heater uses components made from slag for the thermal mass, it weights 1.5 tons.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

oohhboy posted:

The only thing OSHA about that is the guard rail.

Wait what is problem with glorious finnish guard rails?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Having your lights on whenever you drive is the norm here and it makes a car 1000x easier to spot, sometimes I've almost been surprised by a car because it's lights were off and it blended in so well with the road and surroundings. But if the car has the lights on, you'll spot it hundreds of meters away even if it's not in your direct field of vision thanks to the lamps. It's just such a loving useful thing I don't understand countries where they drive with the lamps off. I think the cops would stop you here if you forgot it, and cars will blink at you to say "hey dude you forgot the lights".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The tech was onsite doing mechanical fibre splicing and somehow got a good two inches of the cable in his arm??? my mind loving boggles

Been watching too much battlestar galactica

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I thought Jon Tester was missing his middle two fingers, but I was remembering wrong.

One pinky more than my grandpa!

that guy should get some x-fingers or something like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MisterOblivious posted:

A bit lighthearted for this thread but: early motion picture sets:

https://i.imgur.com/CboPZtp.mp4

That's all CGI

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This bit here reminded me of this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_WcIAPSzU&t=1050s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OSI bean dip posted:

It is because he thinks muffin trays are adequate to store molten metal. He uses ultra cheap poo poo to make his moulds.

Muffin trays are fine for lead alloy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I live in a newly developed area (maybe like an exurb?) in the finnish countryside and I noticed all the power here is underground, as is the fiberoptic and telecoms stuff. I got a few km to another area that's from the 70/80s and it's poles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

There aren't many poles of the ambulatory meat-version 'round these here parts. Lots of vietnamese though, and other south east asians, and various balkan people.

Last time I met a pole was a week ago, he was a truck driver coming to collect something and spoke only russian and, I guess, polish. Fortunately a coworker (from belarus) came back from lunch and could sort it out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So that's where my knife went

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Memento posted:

Half-Life

I thought it was a moomin reference.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's actually pretty hot though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Here in Finland torx basically rules everything, but I still like those canadian robertson screws. I think they would be neat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

Reminder that eyepro is needed in all jobs, even if you're just a teacher

(I know it's not really osha, but I figured most of you would get a kick out of it)

Imagine this but loaded with sharpened TIG electrodes instead of toothpicks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

This guy is delightful
God drat this stupid bastard catching his jacob's sparkler. It's like my poor friend who had a big soldering iron and it tipped over so he caught it and ended up pretty much burning his palm off. Automatic reactions...

I am pretty sure he fakes his accidents and in one video he even showed how.

Edit: I am not beaten, I am not beaten *turns into corncob*

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

quote:

The method is described as "easy and painless" compared to other suicide methods.[2] It is less painful than methods such as jumping from a high-rise building or cutting with a knife.[citation needed][opinion]

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cody!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

atomicthumbs posted:

every niosh face report is a frozen tragedy, analyzed from every direction, pinned in place with needles of protocol, fixing it to the backing board by the steps that could have been taken to prevent a worker''s death. dozens of tragedies lain side by side, neatly categorized, in a table, assigned numbers. no written safety protocols. no guardrails. inadequate training. safety interlocks disabled. no confined space permit. inadequate breathing apparatus. no incident management procedure. the worker was told by his boss to ignore procedure in order to save time. the worker climbed into the machine to free the mechanism. over and over and over again, the same deaths play out in different and novel and hideous ways, taking a new life each time.

NIOSH does what it can, and in the end, that is figuring out what went wrong, and tweeting photos of incident areas, cleaned off enough to make them palatable, with cordoned off machines that tore a man to shreds, and spaces in which a man took his final, toxic breath.

Sounds the intro to some kind of show, for some reason I overlaid the law and order into music over the first part.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

As a finnish person it just feels wrong to see milk in anything but tetrapaks.

E: Alternatively, the steel jugs my granddad used when he brought in milk from his own cows before it was sent to the Dairy.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 24, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

First thing I thought of.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

starkebn posted:

Please don't do any wiring in your own homes, just don't. I don't know if it's different in the good ol' "Land of the Free" but it's illegal in Australia for good reasons

People in North America seem to do their own wiring all the time based on what I've seen.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I remember watching poltergeist as a kid, don't remember how old I was, 3rd grade perhaps? Anyway I turned out fine! Right?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I realize I lived pretty dangerously as a kid, grew up very rural location, only a dozen or so houses made up my village, me and the other kids my age would spend so much time in summer at the nearby lake without any supervision, I basically learned to swim on my own by trial and error.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Three-Phase posted:

My theory is it's a delta-wye motor starter (starts the motor in this case with 347V across the windings, then switches once it's started to the full 600V) but if the different contact sets are operated at the wrong time you can cause a dead-short.

Interesting, most delta-wye starters I've seen here go in the opposite direction.

Say you have a 7.5kw 3ph motor which is usually the biggest size you can run on a consumer hookup and what might come with an electric log splitter. Such a motor is rated for 400-690V and it starts off in the 690V mode (Delta), being fed 400V, then switched to 400V mode (Wye) as the motor speeds up.

Such motors are also used in industry but there I understand they just direct start them at 690V.

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Wait. That can actually happen? I thought it was a joke.

:negative: Oops.

Learned something new, though!

When I added more outlets in my garage the electrican had me start up the table saw to see everything was wired in the "right" direction. Though there is no right or wrong phase arrangement, more that it's in line with what my machines were already hooked up for.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Three-Phase posted:

HDS - that’s interesting! I had never heard of that but I did some searching and did see special motors that were configured for “low voltage start/high voltage run” or “high voltage start/low voltage run”.

As I understand it these are normal 3ph motors that can be run normally in either configuration. As it was explained to me, when you put regular domestic 400V 3ph over the windings in 690V mode, the motor runs slower and uses less amps, so it's easier on the fuses during startup phase when it would otherwise draw most, then it switches to 400V mode and it runs normally. The control logic is all in a separate Y-D unit and can be fitted to any 400/690V 3ph motor.

Most motors here tend to be 230/400V and are rated 5kw and less, those are run in 400V and direct started, like on my table saw and band saw (2.2 and 2.5kw motors). They can be reconfigured for 230V (Delta) if you are in Norway, or North America.

And as I understand it 400/690 motors are the same, just a step bigger. Also I mixed up Delta and Wye in my first example, in a 400/690 motor 400V is Delta. I am so used to thinking of 400V as Wye.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PopeCrunch posted:

Sure, but the vast majority of circuits you'll encounter on a 110v line are 10 amp - still enough to kill you fifty times over in ideal circumstances, sure, but there's a few moments where rescue is possible. If you're dealing with 3ø circuits, the available amperage - and amps are what kills you - range from what, 20? to well into "well, at least nobody had to splash out for cremation" territory.

Most 3-phase outlets in europe are usually 16A, as with 400V you get by on a lower amperage, lower volts require higher amperage for the same amount of work, or something like that.

The fuses for this 4kw 3phase motor I got are set to 9 amps or so, meanwhile I think a smaller (<1kw) single phase motor draws like 10 amps or more from a 120V outlet based on videos I've seen from north america involving motor current draw.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Memento posted:

A friend of mine is a property manager. He has a block of 8 apartments in a nice neighbourhood where the roof partially lifted off in the big storms we had here in late 2016. It lifted up in a big gust of wind, then slammed back down, causing structural damage to the building as well as messing up a lot of the plaster and paint inside. They got an engineer to get into the roof from the inside and check out the roof ties, which were obviously hosed in one way or another.

Turns out the roof ties didn't exist. The roof was re-done in the early 2000s, and no ties were installed. So how did the roof stop from blowing away from any gust of wind?

Bricks. Large bluestone bricks, holding it down.

Hundreds of bluestone bricks.

Big pile on the corner in case it lifts up!

Better make sure the aerial doesn't blow over! How are we going to do that? I know, bricks!

What loving gets me is that some contractor in the last ten years or so must have been up there to install a satellite dish and just went "Oh yeah, bricks. That's not normal. I'll file those under N for Not My Problem".

edit: you used to be able to make the lines of bricks out on Google Maps but I guess they've just updated the imagery for that area.

For a so called nice neighborhood those pictures remind me more of a shantytown than anything else. All that rusty sheet metal I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Applesnots posted:

Pretty clever, I would have used a thicker bolt at the top and perhaps something stronger than pine.

Pine is actually one of the strongest woods when it comes to loads like this. Excellent compression strength, as strong as oak.