Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
It's nice that the hotlinked photo in this article is scaled perfectly for the cursor to flip a bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Where the corridors are gold....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_zzTQFV3o

Edit: It's weird. In the vid he say #2 was shut down after the leak in '86; wiki says it shut down in '91 after a fire...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_Nuclear_Power_Plant#Plant_shutdown_and_decommissioning

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 3, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

HEY NONG MAN posted:

How the hell is that even a phone number, Todd?

wolrah posted:

Australia
Todd...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poB5nlwSmtE&t=54s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcjEr7RCUVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eCGmWUxXg&t=848s

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 25, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

The Lone Badger posted:

There's no way he heated that on that fire.
Anvil seemingly of a pillar design made from wood topped with a railway base-plate... checks out.
---
Just getting back to choppers for a tic, ask an Australian what a Erickson S-64 Skycrane and most would have no idea. Ask them what Elvis is, and you'd get a good number saying helicopter.

quote:

On December 27, 2001 "Elvis", which had arrived in Melbourne, was immediately deployed to Bankstown, New South Wales to help with fire fighting efforts in the Sydney region and was lauded for its role in helping to save almost 300 homes. It was also credited with helping save the lives of 14 firemen in the Burragorang Valley in New South Wales.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love how a lot of them have sweet feminine names and then there's ..... well, see if you can spot the odd one out:

Millie, Georgia Peach, Isabelle, Gypsy Lady, Elsie, Shania, Incredible Hulk, Christine, Delilah.
Don't forget Bubba...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

I would not look through a metre‐wide telescope at the Sun with naught but thin film protecting my eye.

e: Eyes, plural. He’s using a binoviewer.

With my luck, a bird would fly into it.

The mylar films are actually pretty safe. The sun's energy gets reduced before it gets magnified by the mirrors and lens. Old style was to have a filter that would screw on to the eye-piece lens. Problem with that was being at (or close to) the focus point a lot of cheaper filters were getting burned out while people were looking through them - so I was told when I went to buy one for a new telescope.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

What happens if the film tears while you're looking right at the sun?
Mylars pretty tough, it would need a flaw you'd probably spot when you put it on the scope. If it got a simple tear I'm guessing it would probably be defused/defocused enough that you'd get away without eye damage... if the torn bit flapped off or away from the scope though you would be in trouble.

Platystemon posted:

Someone ties an electrical ground to a pipe near the faucet, ignorant of the fact that plumbing upstream is not conductive.

A wire faults to this new “ground” but because it’s floating nothing happens (like a breaker tripping) till the kid completes the circuit.
Bolded bit... why is that?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Bombadilillo posted:

Note you can just put a small filter that threads into the eyepiece instead with zero chance of it failing, but you don't want your primary mirror heating up and warping. Before mentioned moon filter is on the eyepiece.

:spergin: ask me about amatuer astronomy!
Yeah... Most places won't sell that style of filter any more because they can and have failed in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5xb3b-vRd4

So, don't do that.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
From facebook

quote:

Thanks for installing my nbn Telstra.... But I can't turn my water tap on now!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

a kitten posted:

A visit to my hometown prompted me to look up a nearby bridge i remembered.
It's a railway bridge over the Missouri, pictured here:

quote:

Although a long bridge with one-way traffic and shared with railroad trains should have been spectacularly hazardous, a 1981 study found that it was "so dangerous that it [was] safe" because drivers were extraordinarily cautious when crossing it.
A lot of towns in Europe and the UK are removing traffic flow signage (lights, stop and yield/give way signs etc) for just this reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbsFtLkGN8

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

oohhboy posted:

I never not mock my Australian counterparts for their poo poo internet, gloat about my fibre to the door and good service(??!) for most part from the teleco. One of them is moving house but for the next 2 months he effectively has no internet unless he wants to plow through his mobile data to game. Technically he does have wired internet but somehow by a couple meters he has a connection so bad that has to be shared to the neighbours according to him it is expected to get 1KB/s, 25% the speed of 56K. While it seems to be an hyperbole and I can't figure out how that could happen but he isn't the type to lie. I get endless bitching and stories from them as to how bad it is from plenty of other people. Anecdotes not evidence etc this is 2018, wtf.
Australian internet is so bad for gaming that roles are often excluded to Australians in squads from different countries. In Eve (a terrible spaceship game)™ for instance, if you were camping a gate with a group of goons, you'd not likely be picked as a drone trigger because no matter how fast your twitch reflexes were, you'd still have to make up for lag. On the other hand though, going through gate camps was marginally easier because game mechanics meant the lag was now in your favour.

gently caress Australian Internet. gently caress it in the urethra with a rusty nail...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

Man don't tell me I get to be smug about my internet speed for once!

I normally get 95/38 but it's peak hour, so that seems fine.
Is that through mobile data, or a landline?

Humphreys posted:

Time to be :smuggo: !

Uh... same question I guess.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

Landline, HFC 100 plan.

I don't know why it defaulted to that server, it usually goes to the Internode one, same as yours. Before I got this installed, I had basically the same internet as yours.
A friend just had confirmation that after 45 days loving round with Telstra she's getting her net connected tomorrow... I don't think it's an NBN area yet. I told her to take the cool-off and change to iiNet, but two friends chimed in saying Telstra was BETTER.
.. :psyduck:
Someone even suggested Dodo.
:psypop:
I worked tech support at both of those places before they were moved offshore... I know how badly they treat customers because I did the indoctrination.... :argh:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

Man, loving Telstra. I moved into an apartment in St Kilda in 2008, and wanted a landline phone. Didn't think that was too much to ask of the national phone company. They gave me a connection date, November 4th - I remember because it was the day Obama won the election. The 4th came and went with no phone connection. I called them from work the next day, and they couldn't tell me why the connection hadn't gone through - "It was scheduled for the 4th, I'm not sure why it didn't work". It took the third person I was speaking to on that call to realise that the date had been entered as 04-NOV-2080.
2008...? Yeah, I was probably that third call. We'd get person after person ringing up with the wrong spelling for primary username. We weren't allowed to offer them a change of username... only thing we were allowed to do was offer them one year free additional email address on that username. You can imagine the poo poo we'd cop. After about five in one day I ended up sending an all-sales email urging them to check the spelling with the customer, that it was fostering rage with our clientele and asking if they could lift their game. I think that may have been why I was sacked..
Edit: On reflection... November? Nope, I was sacked by then.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Whooping Crabs posted:

A portal to heck has opened on page 666.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Some people call it heck I call it Hades uh huh.
Heck is where you go when you don't believe in Gosh.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

I found this in an old “gently caress-up Friday” on Reddit.com/r/AskEngineers.
I like the article's description of one of the other times this happened..

quote:

Being a combat flight, he had a box fin two thousand pound bomb on each wing station. The anguished pilot landed on the two 2000 lb bombs with a mighty "Whump!" but nothing detonated except the Commanding Officer after he discovered what had happened to one of his valuable aircraft. The pilot was medivacked to CONUS with a fractured vertebrae and a tooth-shredded rectal orifice. Not exactly a hero's departure out of Da Nang Air Base

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

CannonFodder posted:

Thankfully the carrier deck is actually rather high off the water. It's so high a B52 can fly below the flight deck.

The B52 looks like it's going down when it's actually in level flight because the wings are tilted up to facilitate greater lift during takeoff and allowing a big ugly fat gently caress to take off from shorter runways. I forget what the actual name of this tilted wing effect is though.
The 52 doesn't use variable incidence wings like the crusader, it uses massive flap sets that increase the effective incidence of the lifting surface, but doesn't actually move the wing.
:science:

(Also, what you said might infer that it was taking off from that carrier - it was just doing a fly-by. I can't tell if the flaps are down in that photo, but iirc the B52 flew with a slight nose down attitude in normal flight - at sea-level anyway)
-------
Another example of things working when other things didn't....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRURB7FdsII&t=558s

quote:

During a storm in the Pacific Ocean, Atlas was down one set of landing gear. The rest of the squadron went and landed on a nearby island due to the storm, Atlas, had to dump his fuel and had one chance to land into the net. This is a great tribute to Bug Roach (Bug can be heard on the audio calmly talking the pilot down to the aircraft carrier) and his contribution to Naval Aviation. Footage is from March 9, 1987.
I've timestamped it to just before landing, but the stuff that precede's it is also interesting - likewise the wind-down.

quote:

- Nice Job Bug
- Hey Bug - Ball1 - You are superb.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

IPCRESS posted:

Probably drain and steam clean tank due to possible fuel contamination (subtype: human debris).

Here's another not-robot-car OSHA thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEg89lfj_Vg
Czech google-translation from the YouTube page...

quote:

Práce s motorovou pilou vyžaduje dodržování bezpečnostních pravidel. Pevná obuv, pracovní rukavice i ochranné brýle by měly být samozřejmostí. Protipořezové kalhoty vás ochrání před vážným poraněním a mohou vám i zachránit život.

quote:

Working with the chainsaw requires adherence to safety rules. Sturdy footwear, working gloves and safety glasses should be a matter of course. Counterfeit trousers protect you from serious injuries and can save your life.
Translate normally offers alternates for specific words...The only one that comes up for 'Protipořezové' is counterfeit though. Still gotta be a translate error because they look pretty goddam effective to me.
:bravo:

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 22, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Slender Man wasn't the same after they shot out his knees in Korea....

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why disable the alarms and sprinklers?
Kids smoking in stairwells/toilets, bad plumbing, false alarms.... or uh... reasons. :10bux:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

oohhboy posted:

Then there is this...

They don't make them like they use to. It returned to service until it got put into a museum. A F35 would shred itself like tin foil.
Lol that they had to buy it back

quote:

Four days later a considerable international media presence witnessed the Alraigo sail into dock at Santa Cruz de Tenerife with the Sea Harrier still perched on its container. The aircraft was salvageable, and the ship's crew and owners were awarded £570,000 compensation.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

LanceHunter posted:

There was the infamous 2000 Fort Worth tornado, where an F3 tore through downtown and damaged a lot of the skyscrapers. A lot of damage but ultimately the structures stood and things got rebuilt shockingly quickly.
There's some awesome video out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpeIGmbJxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbVp6HSWR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goR9F-OuBkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dDfRIAzYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPxqqQdRVQU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Banana Man posted:

Tornado chat! One of the worst events for my in laws, a tornado touched down in northern Illinois on April 9th 2015, and traveled about 45 miles, the storm also spawned 4-5 other tornadoes in the same region, and basically wiped a small town off the map at the end of it.
Video from the town where the tornado hit (personally terrifying):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grO8Px5J6TQ
Image for those who don't feel comfortable watching the videos:

Jesus gently caress... The sound of the hellmouth opening. Glad you got out ok.

Also, it says right there in the video that the videographer was seriously injured, that his wife and a neighbour died, and these fucks at "Break Clips" list it under "Comedy"

gently caress these guys... ! They've even got a license enquiries link, so they're trying to make something off it.

Sorry dude, Can you alter your post to include this copy from a news site (DixieAlleyMedia - it's the exact same clip) then report these fucks at BreakClips... Let me know when it's done and I'll join in the report binge

gently caress these slimy little cretins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMN4N90KpjI

(Edit: tried to find if Clem had posted it himself anywhere, DixieAllyMedia was the best I could find)

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 31, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
I just watched the aftermath video.... after that and Clem's video, I'm sitting on the couch hugging my pillow.

:smith:

I live in Melbourne Australia, we've had a couple of storms they've called tornadoes... I mean I can remember two in my forty-seven years. They probably wouldn't even register as blips to you guys...

Just... unbelievable.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 31, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Bip Roberts posted:

My favorite part of driving through the Australian outback is the sheer volume of roadkilled kangaroo gore coating the road.

We call that free range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-al0xSFJo

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Jesus,

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Well that was unexpected...

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So those people are reeeeal dead right? that's nuts
Apparently they survived.

quote:

"A company which owns a SkyRunner was performing a routine flight on Friday when it came in contact with a building," SkyRunner CEO Stewart Hamel told Gizmodo today by email.

"Both Pilot and passenger are stable, neither sustained life-threatening-injuries. We understand the incident is currently under investigation in the UAE and we will report further when we know more," said Hamel.

I remember seeing this when it was back in the kickstarter phase... Here's some more pictures and some more info

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sonic version doesn't include the people lol'ing in the background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6_YoGw6gM

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Non subscription locked link from the ABC.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/beloved-terrier-eaten-by-a-crocodile-it-had-taunted-for-a-decade/9840026

(Uh... oh gently caress, it has a link to a facebook vid)
:stare:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Der Kyhe posted:

Swimming on the top of the core when it is filled to the fuel stack management level is actually not immediately life-threateningly dangerous if you change out of your clothes and shower immediately afterwards. And did not swallow any water.

OSHA is diving down to retrieve your keys.

This is an image from forums history... posted originally by a goon that worked at a research reactor god knows how long ago.

From what I remember, the little guy was fine, just swimmin' along

Zil posted:

I was waiting for a third one to show up out of nowhere.
Well.. something happens out of frame to the right just as the second one drops... there's a shadow or dust cloud right on the edge of frame...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Root for Mexico?
:australia:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Please take Brazilian waxing to another thread...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Google maps has a good rendering of the Genoa bridge if you want to see what it looked like pre-collapse (they've also incorrectly marked which span was affected) Pretty sure this will link straight to the section that fell.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.422873,8.8860005,279a,35y,20.03h,56.95t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s%2Fx%2Fsos-3ff812463babf693

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

group B was nuts and i don't mean that in a good way
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=40c_1367710483

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

weg posted:

Not as scary when it's oriented correctly lol.

Still looks like a cool place to take a hike though.
You're wrong in saying it was oriented incorrectly... take a look at the treads on the steps

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Kith posted:

seems like a sticky situation
Log off.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Gonna go for 2.0!
:golfclap:

Dannywilson posted:

I just want a christmas card

We were doing compressions to this and Stayin Alive:

woke: Stayin' Alive
broke: Another One Bites the Dust

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Needed a longer ladder...

... looooooong.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

spog posted:

So many questions.

Including: is he still there? do they slide thin crust pizza through the window crack to keep him alive?
I want to call shenanigans on this one... but I'm just not sure.