Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Clark Nova posted:

tom riker is a walking reminder that the transporter is a horrific philosophical nightmare machine and it makes everyone uncomfortable

No, just you, Reg. :rolleyes: Transporters are the safest way to travel, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though actually it's pretty ironic Barclay is so at home on the holodeck, considering all the wild poo poo that happens there and way more often than transporter accidents.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aside from the silly guns the other thing I remember about Elite Force was the roleplay server(s) where you just hung around on Voyager doing nerdy Star Trek poo poo, which I guess was built off the "explore Voyager just like in the show!!!!" mode.

But the most important detail is that one of the non-combat "weapons" was Coffee, Black.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 9, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arc Hammer posted:

Where the heck is the bathroom on the enterprise?!

I'm now imagining TNG but it turns out all the bathrooms are only in one half of the ship, so if they separate the saucer you're hosed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

All the female crew are like "gently caress, we have another one? Are you kidding me?"

Two Tom Parises, one for each uhh, whatever their name is twin.

And of course, Harry doesn't get one. A twin or a Tom.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Time to try some unsafe velocities *stereo starts blasting picard's favorite red hot chili peppers song*

*presses two whole buttons to bring up the lyrics*

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

mycomancy posted:

Calling it now: El-Aurians regenerate, and Guinan does this to replace Whoopi with a younger actress.

They start fleshing out El-Aurians and it becomes more and more clear that they're wholesale ripping off Doctor Who in the same way they ripped off Mass Effect.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Spock has fuckin' psychic powers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Every time I think about Masks I then immediately hear "Masaka is waking" in my head.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ashpanash posted:

I read that as "Masaka is wanking" which would have made the episode even weirder than it already is.

Masaka has morning wood.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Danaru posted:

The final episode of Star Trek Picard ends with Quark saying "Computer end program" and dumping the holoprogram in the garbage, saying "well that was loving stupid"

When Barclay says "Computer, end program" at the end of that one Moriarty episode, I shut it off and treat that as the end of the franchise.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HD DAD posted:

“Data, you really should join me in my new holodeck program set in the late 1990s at the birth of the common digital medium!”

*resolution immediately crushes down to 120p, 5fps with an omnipresent Real Player logo looming in every environment*

The Hank Hill "do I look like I know what a JPEG is?" bit but in the form of Picard patiently explaining to Data the ancient history of 90s image formats.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't they play in the holodeck all the time together off work hours?

Exhibit A: Picard and Data on another one of their holodeck adventures.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Burning_Monk posted:

Have you guys watched the show? Picard and Data were friends, they would even act out Shakespeare together.

Are you talking about that weird time they had Patrick Stewart - pointedly not Picard, Patrick Stewart playing a holodeck character - doing Shakespeare with Data and then Picard walks in?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Der Kyhe posted:

Unfortunately they most of the time forgot to show Worf actually being competent security officer.

Worf served the important story purpose of pushing for a more direct, pragmatic, and ultimately militaristic solution...so Picard could then shoot him down and try and use his signature diplomacy skills instead. And then complications would inevitably arise and he'd sigh and go "okay Mr. Worf, you may now fire phasers at the problem".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though honestly when I think of Worf as chief of security, I think of the time when...uh was it some Cardassians? came on board and he proposed to Picard that they probably shouldn't let them freely wander around sensitive areas of the ship like it was some brand new security paradigm. Though I'm not sure that reflects poorly on Worf so much as Starfleet in general.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Prurient Squid posted:

Garibaldi watches Loony Toons in Babylon 5 episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im29S6ZWRDI

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Danaru posted:

Through a really confusing set of circumstances, both planes that hit the WTC were flown by Mark Twain

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens, shame!

infernal machines posted:

Well now, which Spock?

There's TOS Spock, but then there's the 09 reboot Spocks, and also the Discovery Spock, and the Strange New Worlds Spock, who I guess might be the same as Discovery Spock, but I'm not 100% sure

Spock 2

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

Turn in your comm badge and your phaser, you're grounded.

*swigs Space Pepto Bismol right out of the bottle*

davidspackage posted:

drat it Jean-Luc, I got the space mayor AND orbital city hall up my rear end, I got my ex-wife makin' my life hell, and I got an ulcer the size of Io! I don't need you dragging in a trail of dead robots!

Absurd, humanity has evolved past any recognition or understanding of such ancient and arcane things like "indigestion" and "ulcers".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Winifred Madgers posted:

space ulcers, on the other hand...

Tachyon build-up in your stomach lining, that'll getcha every time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Prurient Squid posted:

I'd like to see the Trek creatives get so utterly desperate that their forced to play the Colm Meaney card.

edit:

Picard enters Federation containment facility 24 with grim determination. Arriving at the cell he sees a bedraggled figure behind the force field.

"You must be truly desperate to ask me for help"

An exact recreation of that one Modern Warfare 2 level, except instead of Captain Price being dramatically busted loose from the gulag it's O'Brien.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They use O'Brien as an early warning system. If life suddenly starts going his way they immediately begin checking for temporal and dimensional disruptions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

roomtone posted:

i got three letters to describe lower decks for ya

BAD

okay but what does it stand for? :confused:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rynder posted:

I'm on The Inner Light and it's a great episode as always, but I never thought about how horrible people from the destroyed planet were. Hey let's lock some poor future person in an O'Brien-esque mind prison for an entire lifetime, then permanently traumatize them by ripping it all away. Hopefully they'll like the flute!

What's always been hilarious to me is that it's the exact same premise as the classic Alan Moore Superman story "For The Man Who Has Everything" except there it's explicitly a villainous act and Superman drat near kills the dude over it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Blistex posted:

"Captain, sensors detecting a very overpowering. . . musk".

"How bad?"

"Uhh... You know when you have to get an Uber shuttle, and the pilot has one of those air fresheners that smells like an industrial accident at a cheap cologne factory?"

"Yes"

"Well the smell sensors are detecting is similar to what that air freshener is trying to hide. . . by a factor of 1.52 billion!"

"Reverse course!"

Early TNG horror music builds to a crescendo as it becomes startlingly clear: the stink cloud is following them. :gonk:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Automatic Slim posted:

Barkley gets revenge on Riker by deleting all his safe word protocols.

Riker never noticed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

External Organs posted:

He did a study abroad program at a Dominion prison camp

A truly miserable experience; it was far too comfortable for him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Admiralty Flag posted:

e: ^^ lol, nice deep cut there

It sure was! :dadjoke:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

thotsky posted:

Star Trek: Young Kirk

Approximately how long until baby Kirk crosses paths with :spock:?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JediTalentAgent posted:

S3 Picard is going to go meta: They discover their entire universe is a giant holographic simulation

Computer, end program.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The holodeck has its own entire tos and I'm sure it's quite the read.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghostlight posted:

you don't even read it. you have to sit in a simulated courtroom and it's read to you by a hologram.

Has anyone made it through the entire thing before the holodeck malfunctions

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MikeJF posted:

The worst part these days when I watch it is the jarring shift back to a really bad interlaced NTSC transfer every time effects come up because of the whole fuckup where the master tapes were lost and they had to pull any shot with rendered effects off of videotape and the quality plummets and also they had to zoom and crop them for some reason to make it even worse.

EDIT: although! Apparently HBO Max did a lightweight remaster when they brought it online in 2021 and rescanned it all in with better deinterlacing and presentation and it looks way better! Not sure if that's accessible to me in Australia!

Can confirm. The graininess is still noticeable at times, but it's still a big step up from the previous digital version where it teetered on being unwatchable.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wanna know what each alien culture thinks of the bloomin' onion

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MikeJF posted:

She will not stand for any 'oh shades of grey'

But deal, nobody likes that episode.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Olewithmilk posted:

"Riker: there's only one place to poo poo" now in MP4 format!

https://i.imgur.com/XdnKDeR.mp4

John Murdoch posted:

I'm now imagining TNG but it turns out all the bathrooms are only in one half of the ship, so if they separate the saucer you're hosed.

I was right!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tighclops posted:

I fuckin love riker so much

So does Riker.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you could do a Section 31 show, but it'd have to be a very specific format; You do it like an anthology series, with just a Sloane-type character as the audience perspective on an incident or situation they're assisting. You have no context on what the greater goal is, only watching them play spy to help/hinder the episode's plot. And only in the finale learn what all the dominoes tipping in various ways amounts to.

Could mix in a bit of classic Suicide Squad, have a team of spare O'Briens misfits and prisoners sent out to do the shady poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And then at the end it all turns out to be a Bluegill plot and somebody gets their head blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, my thinking was more of the vein of DS9 Section 31, where you never really know if it existed outside of Sloane.

I mean, that doesn't preclude organizing a strike team of disposables to go out and get poo poo done. But on a re-read of your original post I think I get what you mean.