Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

It's glowing. I've never seen him openly dislike a game.

In an interview with Aldie, he basically said that for paid services, he tells publishers if he doesn't like the game and if that's not something they want to pay for, he understands and asks who to send the prototype to next. It's perfectly reasonable, and lets him keep his integrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Might pick up all the expansions if they're cheap during this KS :nyoron:

Essentially all the expansions have been very well received. They only exceptions being The Clockwork Expansion and the Vagabond Pack, and those are really just less necessary than actively considered bad. If you're getting Root to the table regularly, Riverfolk and/or Underworld and/or the Exiles and Partisans Deck would be great additions.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like the initial state of the cover was decent enough that Hargrave could’ve just reached out to Gamelyn first.

I mean, I get where she’s coming from but I don’t think the initial cover really warranted the reaction this has caused. It doesn’t seem like anyone has benefitted from any of this.

Sorry, but no. If this were done behind the scenes, it almost certainly would not have been changed. The public angle is necessary to get the change to happen through shame, and also serves a public good by instructing those of us who may not have noticed what was actually wrong.

Edit: V V V V V I totally forgot that one, that is a much, much better example than the TMG Doesn't Pay Its Designers thread that I had previously used.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 3, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

malkav11 posted:

But one of the design goals of the new edition, as I understand it, is to address criticisms of fiddliness. Whether they've been successful I couldn't tell you.

I hope they succeed. I played this game once yonks ago at a PAX, and it was the fiddliest game in the universe. My board gaming 'grammar' has increased since then so maybe I'd get on a little better now, but this it was not a complicated engine or economic game. It was just that we had to count incredibly slowly to 200 before the game counted to 150 or something. I was some guy who gave out little +1 damage status effects, and it was so annoying to not miss them. The game was hyped as hell at that point, and I was confused at what anyone saw in it.

I never minded the art. Yeah it's been kinda amateurish, but it's not like I could do better. Though standards have gone up massively in the intervening *looks at watch* ten years? fuuuuck

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well dang, what about if I just wanted to back a game instead of commit to basically a part-time job?

That you have to pay for.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

gschmidl posted:

The real answer is for Kickstarter to fix their garbage-rear end website (campaign pages, THE COMMENTS, allow campaign runners to kick especially insufferable people out of the campaign unilaterally), but why would they as long as they keep raking in the money?

That was one reason I was happy to see Awakened Realms start Gamefound: finally some competition.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I think Alton Brown did a lot to popularize electric kettles in the states. I'm very happy with mine. If you drink essentially any amount of tea regularly, they are worth the price of admission.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

Eletric kettles are great for coffee if you use an Aeropress or french press.

Until you get lazy and just buy the cold brew bottles at the supermarket instead :eng99:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I don't know why this was treated by goons any differently than a kickstarter with only model renders. They're commonly dismissive of high model count games and such.

Oh wait, I know why: TRAINS.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Also, the cards better be incredibly self-explanatory for such a cursory rulebook with no examples or additional context. I mean, Sprawlopolis has about the same number of 'pages' (it's on cards, but you know what I mean) but has way, way more words. That makes me think it's literally just moving and destroying. From what I can see of the stills, many do seem fairly simple, but it only takes one uncovered interaction to drag it all down.

Otherwise, it looks cool in a sort of Tom Bunk / Superjail sort of thing, which is pretty cool. More different looking games, please.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

LOL, is it just me or is there something weird going on with this campaign?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frcreator/final-redemption-tcg/description

It looks like your standard amateurish-level KS that usually doesn't get funded, yet it raised like $240,000+ with 700 backers? And then it only has 48 comments in the comments section?
Something seems really fishy.

I wanted to follow up on something like this, but I didn't know where else to post it.

Anyone know where I can learn about this sort of TCG/CCG limited product alleged scam? I've seen people talk about Metazoo and Flesh And Blood in such ways, but I dunno if that's just people being being accusatory or if there's merit to it.

I ask because I think an old CCG I follow might be the next rugpull.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

You're not thinking of Doomtown or Shadowfist, are you? Because both those are legit.

I am in fact thinking of Shadowfist. I know it's been legit in the past, but what I'm wondering is if the new owners are changing it back to a CCG (from the fixed LCG-like distribution model from IKG) to get in on the craze for limited run product.

I mean, they said there was going to be an announcement Friday, so I guess we'll see?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

At the same point, having some sort of "open source" POD or home-printer SCP board game "system" for people to get creative in might be cool. And I say this as a person who doesn't know too much about SCP since I have been unable to leave this giant Ikea for a few years now but I've got to be near the exit by now, right?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

nonathlon posted:

In other news, Ion Designs had announced the latest High Frontier stuff, being:

To anyone interested, just pretend I made a robust "maybe make sure you know who Eklund is and his various controversies for defending colonialism , climate change denialism and rape apologia among others before giving him your money" comment here.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

They've got a unique sheen to them and feel really great in your hands. I suck at shuffling, but these 'slide' across each other fantastically.

That card tech is what made me curious about the project, but not enough to buy in. They kind of look like a cross between a linen-finished/air cushioned card (like a Bicycle deck) and a matte sleeve (like a Dragon Shield Matte). How do they feel compared to something like a MTG or other CCG card? Assuming you've actually handled enough of them to have an opinion, of course.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

:words: about sexy, sexy cards

Thanks for the layman's perspective. I'm a card game player so I really want to get my grubby mitts on them to see them in person but I don't want to buy it just to look at sexy plastic cards. I already have a copy of Gloom for that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Instaback.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

theironjef posted:

I have an original Sliver Queen (going for near 300 these days) and she's all the way naked on there so who am I to judge.

:sickos: Someone's been reading my Karn / Sliver Queen fanfic titled "Change Of Heart".

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Can they say necromorph? Isn't that name owned by whoever owns Dead Space?

Van Ryder is going to have to funge so many tokens to EA's lawyers.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

djfooboo posted:

Hot take: as publishers become more conservative due to pandemic woes KS will maintain market share if not grow despite blockchain dumbness

I agree with the idea that the pre-order hype culture of crowdfunding will remain, but if a competitor like Gamefound can find purchase, it may not just be Kickstarter growing. We'll see if that can actually happen, of course.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

Kickstarter or Van Ryder specifically?
Yes, Van Ryder specifically.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

someone make a miniatures game that doesn't require a tape measure or ruler

It depends on what you mean by 'miniatures' and 'measurement' but Gaslands is super fun and super cheap. It's Mad Max or Death Race or Twisted Metal but with diecast (Matchbox, Hot Wheels) cars. It is template-based, similar to X-Wing, so there is no explicit measuring. If you pick up a template, you're stuck using it so there is no pre-measuring. Grabbed a turn that is a little too wide? Looks like you're gonna crash into that pile of explosive barrels. The only thing is I don't think it's well adapted to becoming super competitive, but I consider that to be a positive, honestly.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

That is the goodest cat.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

3 created, Zero backed. That's what I want in a Kickstarter project creator; complete ambivalence to the platform.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Looks like GameFound is experimenting with branching into supporting board game media projects. You've probably seen that things like The Dice Tower and The Secret Cabal have run KS campaigns as opposed to or in addition to drip-funding like Patreon. Well, GF is starting with a relatively small but long-running player with DriveThruReview. This will be interesting for everyone wondering if smaller and stranger campaigns can survive the transition to this smaller platform.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Heh that rules. What a chump.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Worldbreakers: Advent of the Khanate launches tomorrow. KS link

Marketing Blurb posted:

It is the late 13th century and history is altered by the rise of the Worldbreakers, individuals who harness the mysterious substance mythium to magnify their natural talents. The Mongol princess Khutulun, a Worldbreaker and a descendent of the great Chinggis Khan, is reuniting the distant tribes of the Mongol Empire. But other factions are rising to oppose her, each with their own agenda.

Clash with your opponent in Worldbreakers, a fast-paced, customizable two-player card game. Draft your deck from a selection of over 100 cards representing four unique guilds. Recruit followers to control the board and develop Location cards to gain power. The first player to reach 10 power wins, forever reshaping history!
If you go to the page or website, you can see tons of art and design work has already gone into it. Small changes are still being made, but the game looks whole at this point, it seems. The rules are online.

Based on what I've seen, (just watched stuff, haven't played it), it is clearly most similar to Android: Netrunner but is not asymmetrical. Players have interwoven turns, alternating their 4 actions each, but the player who is first each round switches, so the last action is followed by the same player taking the first next turn, giving it a weird hairpin double-action moment to strike. Cards are restricted to play by 'standing' which is 1-4, but is not normally expended when used; if you have 2 standing, you can play 1 or 2 standing cards (kinda like resources in Shadowfist, if anyone is familiar). There are locations you essentially extract resources from, but if they are attacked, you remove those tokens to no effect, so you need to protect it. The tokens are removed in ordered and seem to generally go from least to most powerful, so if you stage an attack too early, you might not hurt them enough.

You can play it now on Tabletopia. If you'd rather watch some gameplay, you can find a video of TTS gameplay with The Metropole Grid. (Note: this video was produced around the time that the TTS bad behavior was still disseminating through the mindshare, so they were not aware at the time, but were informed during the video.)

If you're curious about the theme and fearful of it being 'orientalist' with the featured Mongols and Arabs, the designer has worked with cultural consultants and seems to be operating out of a sincere hope to bring a different theme to the table, as far as I can tell. He said more in a blog interview, part one of which is here.

This is the type of thing I think Kickstarter was meant for: a small passion project that is clearly close to finished that could never get off the ground otherwise. I don't know if I'm going to get in on it because I don't know if I'd have anyone to play it with since I'm still working on converting people to Netrunner, but it looks cool as crap.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm so excited for Worldbreakers. I've been talking with the designer for about a year now, doing consulting on representation. The art and world design are extremely well done, and I love the idea of a cube draft LCG like game.

Hey, that's awesome! That means it's :c00l: technically a goon project :c00l:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Azubah posted:

Just use the gloomhaven box to stop the flood, problem solved.

The cyanide and happiness guys are making a new game and are using game found instead of Kickstarter due to the crypto stuff.

Happy to see them say it so explicitly. They're in an interesting position because Joking Hazard and Trial By Trolley were each 3 million bucks, so I hope that gets noticed at KS HQ. Could these stupid schemes actually make up their lost 300k or whatever they would have made on that 3 million bucks, not to mention the whole "establishing a market for their own floundering competition when they we previously a de facto monopoly" thing? Who knows, but I'm happy to see it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

They likely set the bar too low for production costs and are only just going to make it over the funding line.

The actual cost is likely like 100k and they set it at 50k, because they were hoping for
A.) Lots of moolah for IP cash-ins
B.) Wanted to post '200% funded in 5min!' type nonsense

Perception of popularity is very much a thing synonymous with KS, and spurs additional backers

Among the thousands of other things wrong with KS, it'd be keen if they did something about fake funding goals. But I honestly have no earthly idea how they could do that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I am A-OK with apps if they're just adjacent to the game, and the game can be played manually without it. App Driven just does nothing for me.

How's this?

I assume this is related to Van Ryder getting involved with NFTs and then doubling down.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

So if there's something you would like to see in a new op let me know.

I think you should put KS's crypto plans in the OP in case people haven't heard, but also mention that talking about it really isn't the purview of the thread so there are no derails. If you're in this thread talking about a KS, I think it's fair to assume you have heard, but newcomers may wish to know. You could also mention the "lifehack" brought to my attention in the board game thread that minimizes KS's cut by pledging a low amount and getting everything on the pledge manager. Go here and search the page for the words "pledge manager" to read how it was described to me.

Also, I wonder if "crowdfunding" could be said to apply to continual Patreon supported game systems like One Page Rules and Archvillian Games. These are mostly files for 3D printers, but maybe there are ones for table top RPGs? I have no expertise on these; I just know them by osmosis since they are referenced by and/or sponsor some trad gaming youtubers.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Leder games is making a space opera now? I hope it's not just another Outer Rim/Xia. Just got an email that they're about to start their Kickstarter campaign soon.

On the BGG page, Cole has done some developer diaries. I haven't read them yet since I'm not going to back but hopefully they can allay your apprehensions. From what little I know, it does not sound like a generic space game.

e:fb

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Maybe someone here can help me remember a crowdfunding project, probably a KS. It was for a simple card game about post-apocalyptic cars in a convoy attacking each other, Fury Road style, represented by placing vehicle cards in a line. It was very yellow and has sort of a 80s-90s punk Tom Bunk / Geof Darrow but PG-13 aesthetic. I think it was launched about a year ago, but I don't remember the name of the project and I cannot find it by an description on the web. I think someone related to video games was part of the project, but I no longer remember who. Seeing everyone getting and playing Radlands made me curious if this project actually made it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

by.a.teammate posted:

Is it dust biters?

That was it. Thank you kindly, and thank you to the other responders as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

Kickstarter's rules

hehe... he he he he Ha ha Ha Ha.... BWAA HA HA HA HA... hoooo *wipes tear from eye*

Seriously though it's probably the same thing that happened to TMG. Maybe the bull market was buoying a lot of these smallish publishers.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What happened to TMG?

https://www.dicebreaker.com/companies/tasty-minstrel-games/news/tasty-minstrel-games-virtual-bankruptcy They went into something like corporate suspended animation almost a year ago now. The signs were there much earlier.

On the plus side, I stumbled across a copy of Yokohama like a week before :whatup: On the downside, I still haven't played that copy :negative:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

moths posted:

Warzone Eternal got cancelled after hitting 139% funding with 19 days left.

The tl;dr email basically says they were underperforming and wanted to retool for a bigger launch. Basically the stated goal wasn't the goal and they didn't reach it

:jerkbag: KS means I don't need to 'project manage', right? I wish this was the worst thing about KS, but boy is it bad. If I understand it correctly, it's essentially because funded projects are more likely to get additional funding, so there is no reason to not set the funding level to One Dollar, Bob.

edit: The jerkoff emoji is directed at the project, not you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

:sickos: It's saying "Move to Gamefound" :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

gschmidl posted:

It's loving amazing, all Kickstarter had to do was not use the word "blockchain", and they couldn't do it.

Bottom Liner posted:

Kickstarter is pissing themselves right now between Gamefound and now this. Tabletop was by far the biggest category and growth market for them over the last ~7 years.

gently caress yes. Drown in piss, Kickstarter. I hope the monkey jpgs were worth it.