Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

Did u know Tibet used to eat dead ppl? That's one reason China had to take back Tibet. We had to give them education.*

*Actual reason a Chinese person told me why China needs to hold onto Tibet forever.

Yeah, education on how to eat people, more like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

hello i am here to inform you that the "no why" meme has been thoroughly run into the ground and no longer provokes any response, thank you for reading and have a good day :tipshat:

The "no why" meme has already been knowingly run into the ground, and yet people in the harmonious 5000 years of History thread still use it whenever they can. If you asked yourself, "Why would they do that?" then the answer should be obvious.

If instead you told yourself "That's stupid" that's cool too; you're the thread equivalent of the traditional kan re nao, and are contributing to the respected culture of the only nation with 5000 years of history. :china:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Yeah, basically. I don't like it either. But there's not actually anything wrong with it.

One of the practical aspects of chewing with your mouth closed is not flinging food great distances by means of mastication.
And this is to say nothing of any other manners.

Haier posted:

M8, they be arms of a Chinese girl found on a Wechat wall making an awful legitimate white people sandwich. Eat Fresh.

-----

Saw an older lady on People Nearby. I assumed she was early forties and it looked like she spoke English, so I thought I'd give it a shot. She added me and we started talking and she did speak English for most of the coversation. She was very friendly and telling me how she'd lived in the US before and it was wonderful, and she loves Japan, and really hates China and Chinese people and said they are all cheaters and "annoying." I asked how she came to this conclusion and she said her family is ethnic Korean and most of them quit China to return to Korea but she's stuck here now.
She said in the future when I am not such a young man I might understand. I asked how old she was and told her my age (early thirties) and she said her daughter is the same age as me.

Now I have a date with her daughter even though I'm working on the mom. LMAO. The daughter is attractive and single and Korean, so I am not complaining. The mom lives one street over and invited me to her house for a home-cooked meal.

I am still convinced something crazy/weird is going to happen. I can't see how it won't, this being China.

A while back, but in places that aren't China, this is how Korean ladies set their daughters up. They'll cook you food, treat you to lunch after you join them in going to church(even if you don't participate, just going is plenty), and basically make the case for their daughter.

It, however, does nothing to reflect the actual person and personality of the daughter in question.

I say "places not China" because the mainland seems to have a problem with open and constant profession of a religion that may or may not subvert the authority of the CCP with things like "the golden rule" and "stone the gays".

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

I personally hope that VPN thing goes through for a month and every foreigner and foreign business flees and that begins the downfall of China when dumbshits finally realize doing business here is a really bad idea.

This, reflected in the previous mentioning of Wanda's theme park/real estate deal: how many foreign investors will buy into all that Chinese land and do to China what they're doing to Africa and the Caribbean, on,y for the government to refuse the purchase? Better yet, how many foreign investors want to invest in China?
At this point, I'm genuinely curious at which is stronger, the tire fire of China's economics, or the vulture capitalists who want to huff those sweet noxious fumes for money?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm wondering what the wumao response would be to the argument, "Well I guess China's science is not so advanced, they could not save this man even though America Germany and some other country said they could save him."

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I can't read the word "plunging" without giggling now.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

People in large insular counties are bad af at geography. See also: 'Murica.

If you go to a lesser known feature enough, you can fool most people. Hell, you would have to be near geography bee material to see through obscure regional references like "Appalachia" and "Sonora" and know where the hell they're talking about, or even to ask for a clarification.

But economic and special interest do fuel study and knowledge; you'd be surprised how many people learned about Iraqi and Afghan geography/political maps through it being mentioned on the news because they knew someone there.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-40627855

The unnamed country allowed the unnamed bear to copy 5000 years of Chinese Presidency

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

Haier has been doing the fake article thing for a while, how have so many people fallen for that last one? He always posts a 404 error people's daily URL, then quotes the article text below

While it's possible for Haier to make up an article and post it, making fun of the Chinese characteristics of China, it's also possible that the propaganda farm of news agencies in China put that article out in a genuine attempt, but were then informed--only after the fact, mind you--that it was actually a bad article and did the opposite. Nobody was going to say anything beforehand, because it wasn't their problem, but now that public face is involved, people actually have to do their jobs, and thus, the article was pulled with incredible haste.

In this era of alternative facts and truth bending the evidence, my version has the added benefit of Occam's Razor.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

Kinda dumb when the 500ml bottles of that stuff cost half or a third of the price of the tiny ones.

One explanation, really:

MASSIVE FACE because that's pure money she's drinking

It's novel, to be sure, but not efficient.

Haier posted:

I am sure something would work with the Chinese "we fight Japan and win" movies and TV shows.

Some girl I recently deleted did the usual "what r u doing now?" and I sent a photo me watching TV shows on my computer. She responded with a photo of her watching yet another China Vs. Japan war drama show, and I LOL'd and said "Chinese TV loves this topic." As programmed expected, she got all defensive and asked if in the US we watch these kinds of shows. I said we don't have many war dramas, but we have a lot of TV shows and war is sometimes the subject, and I didn't know because I don't watch much TV anyway. She said China was better because their TV teaches the people history, and America TV doesn't. I told her everything she's learned on those TV shows is all fake, it's just a story. She asked what I was watching, as if I was so pure. I said Modern Family, and she asked if that was the show about gays, and I said sure.

EDIT: I honestly don't plan these snipes, but I've been doing a lot of page snipes in this thread lately.

I wonder what the production values of Chinese TV movies like that are, are they "00's Sci-Fi Channel" bad, "2am network television back in the 80's/90's" dated, decent?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't bad you say, but that was when, the 80s? Before HK was given back to China?

Also interested in stories, but I find school stories with kids hits that "PG-13 humor that adults enjoy" itch more often than not.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hedenius posted:

That's why I had to buy it. It's just such a wonderfully bizarre thing to fake. Especially coming from Sweden where Carlsberg is even more of a poo poo tier beer then in the rest of the world.

I've never been convinced away from the notion that countries export their lovely beer: Corona, Stella Artois, PBR( :homebrew: ), and so on.

Ignoring the absolute pisswater that probably wouldn't qualify as "beer", does this hold true for China?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > GBS > 5000 Years of "I'm having my period, wanna take a rest."

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fojar38 posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-08-06/china-s-ascent-isn-t-looking-so-inevitable-anymore

Someone else can check comments for angry disqus China-Warriors because I'm trying to preserve my sanity this week

quote:

This article is one of a series I like to call "Fake News about China". You'll see many here and at Fox News (America is the center of the world so everything that happens to us must happen to everyone else), the Daily Mail, Telegraph, at Business Insider (Anglo-owned trash tabloids), throughout all Indian media (deluded cow piss drinkers), and at FT (Japanese-owned).

I like how "Japanese owned" is an insult right up there with "deluded cow piss drinkers", but a merit-based insult of "trash tabloids" is used for Anglo-owned, I guess being white saves some face.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But the New York Times said that Chinese payment systems are the best.

For China-to-China transactions, sure.

For the gaming news, I don't know which outcome to support: on one hand, Asian gamers can be toxic as gently caress as a result of netcafé transience, and 400 ping in real time games is loving rude. On the other hand, gaming is good and exposing China to things not-Chinese is the smallest foot in the door to change, but it's better than nothing.

But gently caress the idea of handling Chinese gaming with Mickey Mao kid gloves.

As an aside, skeletons are not allowed in Chinagames, but how do actual mainlanders react to them, real or fictitious?

Mistle fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 8, 2017

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To say nothing of the "sold out theaters" propaganda that's happened before. Though in this instance, the government face and nationalist pride would "encourage" that practice more than just profits, especialy if cajoled by the Party.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bruce Lee was pretty good, and did some cool stuff, but he didn't exaggerate his talent, that was all other people.

He could probably kick some serious rear end, but his modesty of "yeah I couldn't beat that professional fighter at his peak" is that realism and demystification mentioned earlier.

Which begs the question, did Bruce Lee belong to "Good China", regular China, or America in terms of "he's our people"?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LentThem posted:

"I went to Scotland for a year during university swap thing, had three chinese students in my dormitory unit. They didn't shat in corridors, thankfully, but were very nonchalant about leaving kitchen dirty, never throwing out common garbage (that fell to me and Italian/German students), and worst of all, loved cooking on lots of oil in open wok. That not only screwed with ventilation, but left oily residue everywhere, especially on oven, which had to be replaced, twice. Oh, and left food on flame a few times and hosed off somewhere, cue black smoke filling kitchen and even fire alarm triggering once (responding team was not amused). One year later, when I left, their behaviour didn't changed one bit and I don't even know if the dormitory clerk even told them anything or gave up and tried to wait them out... "

The solution after wrecking the first stove is to not put in a second one.

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Yeah, dunno, we just left dirty dishes in people's beds if they didn't clean them, if they did it a second time they were left upside down in their beds.

Worked pretty well.

Kinda curious how face culture would respond to this now.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
And from what I hear, native Koreans dating is just as weird/bad.

The advice I remember was "get the girl away from her friends and hang with her one-on-one", because wingmen(wingwomen?) are hockey levels of aggressive.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

Chinese man autocorrected to Chinamen in another thread. God speed, goons. I'll see you in a week.

Also I'm blaming this thread for that. Lol.

You can blame the latter half of this thread only, the first half would have you correct to "farmer"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mods, please rename someone "kitchen help in the Canada" tia

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I know more than one person who would wear it, and at least one who has a full chest and would wear ironically.

Lollerich posted:

btw what is the reason for the long fingernail?

Chinese historical accounts are that nobles used to grow them out because long nails meant you didn't do manual labor, and they were a status symbol. Nowadays, they're probably utility/drug nails, but you can always save face by claiming Chinese History, I'm sure.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

If only a comprehensive tutorial of the PIT maneuver would magically appear on weibo or something, we'd hear about the highways of China full of sideways vehicles.

Or not, because to execute it, you have to let the other person go first, and that's no go in Chinese Face Culture®

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Grand Canyon very famous you see...

See not so much, the air pollution since it was opened as a park has made visibility lower. Used to be able to see the whole thing, but not so much anymore

Regarding Chinese dead people, I'm curious about the cultural collision of China and Día de Los Muertos. Will it be as disappointly insular as I suspect? :ohdear:

But nothing is as endearing as someone latching onto a foreign culture thing with genuine interest, it's more heartwarming than a development montage in a movie, and also IRL

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basically, they're bilking Hollywood of the cut of profits by underreporting, meaning the movies are doing better than expected.
Means many things: China not getting their cut, Hollywood not getting their cut, American cinema is doing better than numbers say, theaters making bank, and the movie industry is growing.
The pandering seems to be working, but skimming off the top for propaganda and profit seems like an expected and chronic sort of problem, and I doubt it will be fixed without a reworked agreement. Also, someone is going to lose face over these audit numbers, so maybe a lump sum of hush money and some concessions to save face might happen.

But that's just my

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oohhboy posted:

They have also review bombed Player Unknown's Battleground for having no China Servers. So many China players! Why no servers! Why lag so poo poo! Disrespect China!

Dumb fucks need to blame their own poo poo government.

Chinese clients advertised VPNs in the main menu. Possible that the slow China servers were poo poo, also possible that the servers were made slow because an outside company was getting popular with China and they couldn't put out a proper knockoff game to :airquote: fairly compete :airquote: because the source arma mod code can't be spaghetti in critical places.

And China players got marginally better performance(not by much) on foreign servers, at the expense of other regions' games having almost a full second of latency because a half dozen players are in China.

I worry that this might have been a genuine effort to humanize African animals by portraying them alongside humans from Africa, and it was extremely poorly executed with bad photography.

It's a very optimistic possibility, but then again, :china:

hailthefish posted:

Can you offer any explanation as to why half the chinese review bombs of KSP are ranting about "not bowing to feminazis"?

Oh, nevermind, I got it.

Amusingly, almost exactly a month ago, Valve added features to Steam to greatly mitigate the effects of review bombing.

I believe the "femnazis" review bombing is leftover vitriol to "female versions of little green men that you murder in the name of science" but they had no momentum to do something this brazen. Now that the dam of negativity is broken, they're dumping that pent up hate to enhance the effect, and also to hide in the crowd.

Personally, the sell to Take Two is the biggest rant I'd make, but it's still a good game.

Mistle fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 12, 2017

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

I saw this "Chinese" food stall while walking around, which was aptly named CHINA TOWN CHINESE FOOD. I will start writing it as Sizwan from now on.

For real though, veg Manchurian owns. Breaded vegetables in Indian "gravy" slime that tastes vaguely Chinesey in chili soy sauce.

Food menus are the secret insight to the asian cultures and values.

I may have mentioned this previously, maybe not, but I tell everyone in person that older Koreans still have not forgiven nor forgotten the Japanese atrocities of WWII, and it's evident on the menu at the local place.

I'll dig up one and post the picture later. Big thing to note: Chinese food, Korean food, and "Teriyaki" food.

The Chinese FACE of science.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

how can bullets be so expensive when everything else is cheap? is it because they can't really cut corners by using cheap metal or less gunpowder? legit curious.

Everything about equipping, maintaining, and outfitting small arms gets expensive as an "always ready" asset.

Quick costs:

1) Having the guns
2) Keeping the guns clean(and free of rust)
3) Training on how to use one
4) More training on how to use one
5) Ammo for all the shooting
6) More ammo because now they're not lovely at shooting, but you have to make sure
7) Range maintenance - Not big, but replacing targets needs to happen after some point
8) Storing all this when they're not using it because China will never trust a battalion with guns unless they have someone to shoot that's not themselves

It's really one of those "hidden cost" things, and even if you discount the U.S. contracting overpay bullshit, the military still spends a stupid high amount of money in maintenance. Hell, there's a critical infrastructure computer somewhere that still uses 5.25" floppys and the old AT keyboard connectors, and they pay six figures per part when replacing something in it, I'll bet.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know Xi's platform is heavy on the anti-corruption, but is it actually rooting out corruption, or centralizing the grift?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Darkest Auer posted:

Yes, but it's still hundreds of thousands

Some places in the world, a year's wages are a thousand dollars, often less. The hoarding that fresh immigrants do is partly why second gen immigrants do very well, and they end up with the baby boomer-esque wanton selfishness that shits on the third generation immigrants. And that's to say nothing about other parts of the world having a 12-hour/6 day work week for living wages, where that kind of work ethic here in the U.S. can finance a car or pay for community college levels of education.

Relin posted:

According to a study conducted by the Medical College of Korea University, 23.1% of males and 2.6% of females have their first sexual experience with a prostitute.

can anyone shed some light why this might be? is this due to dowry costs or something

i bet it dovetails with korea being the suicide capital of the world

I think the women's number will never be accurate. Admitting to sex is anathema for a "woman's virtue" and basically makes her a whore, according to a lot of cultures.

Ziv Zulander posted:

Ayup. This is where our modern day consumer culture stems from, with vehicles right in the center. America put everybody to work for the war effort, and the government was worried about an economic crash after it ended. So, they repurposed the factories to start pumping out consumer poo poo, most notably automotives. That, coupled with a campaign to get people to buy new vehicles instead of just fixing their old ones, lead to a secondary used car market. That in turn made cars affordable for teenagers, which led to more teens being able to get jobs to have disposable income, which led to a new market for businesses to capture, which led to even more disposable poo poo being marketed

Also called the "Butterfly Trampstamp Effect"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

I dont want to post in the dumb Thailand thread. Google isn't helping me. When do they burn the Thai king? Or did I miss that?

Likely missed it, the procession started/was getting underway about midnight eastern time, BBC was covering it, I guess as some angle of a sympathetic monarchy.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

Every other culture that eats beans: "Dude, eating these makes me feel full and strong. We should add some salt and make a variety of dishes with these beans. It would be a good staple food, and we can even store them for long periods in case there's a food shortage."

China: "Heh, so funny. Looks cute. Let's add some sugar and eat them as a dessert once or twice a year during a festival. Rice is better."

Beans require rice to form a full protein, it's why "beans and rice" is a thing almost anywhere those two things grow. Otherwise, rice is an incomplete protein and closer to empty carbohydrates.

Besides, beans are full of farting fiber, and you can't toot like the Chairman without them :toot:

Imperialist Dog posted:

The new history curriculum in Hong Kong is out. The Communist-backed 1967 riots and Tiananmen Square have been omitted from the curriculum.

How many times is Uncle Xi "Pooh Bear" Jinping mentioned in this brand new curriculum? By rank, he should be mentioned at least half as many times as Mao.

Anyone who missed China's long term "Just take water from the Himalayas" plan shouldn't feel too bad. I'm sure it wasn't planned as a resource grab when it happened way back when, more as a "nobody is going to come fight us over this mountain nation of poors, so we'll take it and be even bigger." Something tells me that it's not unheard of for the modern Chinese to take something for the sake of greed, only to find out later the thing they have taken has a purpose or utility, and to boast of clever strategy with the benefit of hindsight.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

:monocle:

Turns out that rice is nice.

Still, if your diet consists of one food item(even if it's rice), poor health is likely to happen. Also, given that rice is easily digested, is it at all more than correlation that China eats a lot of rice and also has high diabetes numbers? Or is it a case like America, where they just take in absurd amounts of sugar, and the rice is not even a factor?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

The commonly accepted answer to this in China is Potato

In the UK, southerners would say northerners can't have a meal without bread. It led to many arguments in many student houses at uni.

Carol Vorderman (off of countdown)'s granddad was the one who worked this out. No word of a lie.

I heard that buttered potatoes hit the nutritional necessities of, well, everything, and it's the "you could live off this indefinitely if you really had to" food, but my record on food science so far is less than good.

Barudak posted:

By the way the correct food for america is Corn.

In some way, shape, or form. It really is a ubiquitous ingredient, it's in food, it's a filler, it's processed into sugar replacements(which is in almost every processed thing), and they're making plastics and fuel from it. Even if America is corn-crutched, at least it's a do-all food.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41835372

No idea where the thread's favorite Haier/Bajaj is, but Stay Safe Plunger Man

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ups_rail posted:

I couldnt find the article again but, I read a funny news report about how north korea's (the best korea lol) nuclear tests would send fallout and pollute china.

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait a minute, how's it pollute China if the fallout's blowing the direction of the usual yellow dust?

According to oceanic current charts, the dominating currents go from South Korea toward either Japan or around the Yellow Sea to SE Asia, which means North Korean fallout winds will have their pick based on the weather at the time. But given fallout pattern estimates, some of it will definitely go North and find China

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know why so many tech journalists don't realize how often Chinese companies become monopolies here because the competition is literally just banned. Yeah everyone uses WeChat but Kakaotalk is restricted and Line/WhatsApp are blocked. I don't know of any situation where a Chinese tech company has succeeded in a fair and open marketplace. DJI with drones maybe? I don't know enough about the drone market.

Was Didi Chuxing one of the "banned into a monopoly" companies? I hear it has sizable investments and what sounds like reasonable progress, much like uber and lyft, but nothing negative, as China is wont to hide face-losing events. It hasn't been in a business disaster article, so I have to assume it has competency behind it(unlike the over-traffic bus that ruined the very road), but if it's bigger than uber by factors, and China's minimum driving standards are worse than even America's, then something has to go wrong with it at some point. I'm wondering how much of it(if any) was a rip from other western apps, but with Chinese characteristics(like the pay system from Alibaba)

Bajaj posted:

When you hear about lovely factories in Guangdong (especially within 200km of Shenzhen) full of cheating, lying, stealing, and producing the worst-made products... these are people behind it. That is their culture, and that is why they think nothing to rip off anyone they can, even each other. When other countries can match what the Shenzhen area and China can do for the electronics markets, the Chaoshan people will be the first to get hit with money loss. Granted, there are some areas in Chaoshan that do other things, such as one town makes a majority of the cheap underwear and bras sold across Asia, but the rest will get hit.

There's no way to know which are good and which aren't? You would think western expats would throw together some kind of list and manage trusted contributions, find out which factories cut the wrong corners and such, but even typing it out, it sounds like a ton of work, and that's not including infiltration issues and retaliation.

A Chinese Consumer Reports, basically. But without Chinese characteristics.

Solid story, though, I'm glad that CG has seen the joys of a world of food.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

All this talk about bland, unimaginative Chinese food reminds me of that Vice article written by an angry ABC girl who was angry about bland "white people" food. And also Marco Polo brought cured ham from China only actually the Romans were doing it in like 200BC so

The Mediterranean is quite a place, they learned how to make food edible without even cooking it, just leaving it holed up long enough. Food culture can be amazing.

Side note, kimchi doesn't go bad, it just goes from "banchaa dish" to "soup addition only". Source: work-related, jar left for like, half a year? Maybe more?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

sounds like someone needs a bit of cerveza and chillin' in they life

Top off your cheap-rear end Corona with a shot of lemon rum instead of a citrus wedge, take the express train to buzzed land.

ntan1 posted:

Also if you actually look up a shitton of recipes a large number of people do make them in the oven, despite its name.

Kind of like how Chinese people stir fry everything in a wok, without exception, even though there's other options? I mean, I'm sure someone in China does this, literally(just like at least one person does your example), but implicating a stereotyped bias is loving stupid.

Also, you don't use an oven in the American south during the summer, it's too loving hot.

Blistex posted:

This pretty much sums up the Forbidden City

If you're into architecture, it would be amazing, but I struggle to think of other professional interests that would get a thrill from it as much as them.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Lasagna is the only other instance I can think of. Or those long tube things stuffed with cheese that I forget the name of, I think those are baked. Canneloni?

Canneloni and also manicotti.

Pirate Radar posted:

I know lasagna is technically pasta but I don't usually think of it in the same category, I guess, but you're right.

I want to say "white people = casserole dish" is the gist of the poor comparison. If so, it's strong with regards to public food exchanges like potlucks or bringing food over to a host's Thanksgiving party, but mostly for the ease of transportation+cooking. Generally you don't borrow a host's fryer, and re-heating things is easiest in a convection oven without ruining it like a microwave.

It's the drugs that make me :psyduck:

Mail could be stolen, or could be fraud; possible it's a relocated birth tourism racket, or gaming government payments like social security.

But I can't find plausibility for the drugs.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

I'm gonna be a red panda an animal that's poached, and have my bones ground into TCM for superstitious yokels to ingest me in the false hope of being imbued with my qualities.

You mean "Extinct due to assholes wanting status pets" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

Because there are a lot of Chinese products that aren't utter poo poo, even in China. Everything you and I are using right now was made in China. Mainlanders take a really weird stance about it, in ways that make no sense. One girl complained to me before that we are both using the same phone (iPhone 5S at the time), but my photos look better than hers. The only difference was I didn't use the basic camera app, I spent a moment to frame the shot and let it focus, and used some editing apps. But no, it's not that. Her phone must be fake! It was bought at the Apple store in Hong Kong, but they must have been selling fake iPhones.
This kind of thinking goes into every product and purchase. It doesn't matter if they go somewhere and buy something that was obviously imported, it is still probably fake in their minds. If they don't like something? Fake. If someone told them some gossip bullshit story about a girl in Henan that ate a baozi that was really made out of soft cement, then all baozi everywhere must be fake and we should all be cautious.

They think I'm weird for walking into a nation-wide chain supermarket and buying stuff and going home and eating it without triple-checking if it's real. Every time I ordered anything off Taobao, the finger was hovering over 1-star rating as I was opening the box, because maybe I got a fake product. Even when I ordered a product direct from the manufacturer... it might be fake.

I think it goes with face culture and the inability to admit wrongs. They now have a system where they must know if something new is genuine or fake, while living a society that doesn't care about knock-off name brands. They can blame any unhappiness with a product on "it must be a copy," because it's easier than admitting "I don't understand this," or "this is not to my expectations." It's easier to say that latest version of a pair of Nikes are fake instead of noticing that the design and fit is different than the previous version, and that's why the shoe isn't fitting the same as the other (another anecdote from personal experience).

I spent a ton of money on dumb poo poo while I was there, getting Taobao orders every single week, and I never once met a product that wasn't genuine. People fell over themselves to scold me for buying imported milk powder for tea from the foreigner supermarkets. I was regularly scolded from buying anything from the foreign supermarket (Ole/BLT) because it must all be made in China and there's no way those products are really from Italy or Japan. Etc.

You am become Mainland.

This post gave me a :hmbol:
Something tells me Donald Trump is going to do fine in China today, he obviously knows face culture well.

basic hitler posted:

Yeah, how is distrusting Chinese manufacturing anything but wisdom?

It's not your money being wasted, would be the obvious answer.

• Locked thread