Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Milotic posted:

Sorry about your garbage husband with broken brains:

Husband [29m] doesn't like that I [25f] breastfeed for some reason. He's very critical of everything I do with baby and I don't know how to handle it ?

Breast is so much less hassle than having to sterilise and make sure milk is fresh. Also healthier for the child.

FYI it's not actually healthier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unfortunately, the WHO has a regrettable history of endorsing poorly-supported ideas (although they endorse well-supported ideas, too!). Much of the modern literature on breastfeeding finds spurious effects that only appear when the most laxadaisical statistical approaches are employed. Here's an article going over some of the more egregious issues, many of which are present in the sources that the WHO cites
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/everybody-calm-down-about-breastfeeding/amp/

My own son is almost 2 now, and I spent the first several months before his birth pouring through the literature on breastfeeding after trying to cross-check some of the more miraculous claims made on mommy blogs. What I found was utterly shocking. I had fully bought into the idea that breastfeeding actually did have many benefits, but my bullshit alarm led me to discover that nearly all of them were poorly founded. At this time, it seems like any observed benefits of breastfeeding are 100 replicatable by using a clean water source and holding your baby in a breastfeeding pose while using a bottle, ie skin to skin in a loving embrace.

e: For the record, my wife wanted to breastfeed for awhile but decided to stop after going back to work. I was fine with whatever she wanted to do, because that's her choice. The lack of measurable benefit was comforting though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 1, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pick posted:

Lmao the physicist is more smarterer than the inferior brains of, medicine

That's not what I'm saying; doctors who actually give a poo poo have criticized these studies for the same reasons that I am: they are sloppily conducted and seem to be trying to put the cart before the horse

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

As you can imagine, in a whole shitload of the world this is nigh impossible and breastfeeding is best. Even in the US you can pop out a boob for feeding but if you pop off your shirt to bottle feed you're going to get some weird looks. Since the WHO is for, y'know, the world and not just Europe and the US their recommendation is apt.

The mommy blog hype over breastfeeding making you a superior mom is gross but given the availability of quality fresh water worldwide it really is "better" for most babies. In an area of the US or Europe where infrastructure isn't an outdated joke and you can stay home to bottle feed, sure, yeah, there's no statistically significant difference.

Especially because his wife is literally a midwife

Absolutely! In areas with lovely water the benefits of breastfeeding are unsurprising,and those benefits actually are well-supported. I'm just pointing out that when you have clean water and feed in a similar way, suddenly the benefits go away...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pick posted:

having knowledge in one area means that you are inherently more knowledgeable in other areas? Stem people are the absolute loving worst about this, hence ostensibly intelligent people investing in bitcoins and other loving nonsense. Because everybody else is stupid, because you’re so smart, mommy said so

Doctors are arguably the largest contingent of stem and just as commonly guilty of this very real effect. However, that is not what is happening here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

if bottle feeding is equivalent in the best case scenario and worse in the worst case scenario then it sure sounds like breastfeeding is better to me

On average, sure. The point though is that we're making a lot of mothers who aren't able to breastfeed feel lovely over that even when breastfeeding would make no difference to the health of their babies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

I think you're missing their point though - you touted your background as if it made you more authoritative on the subject when it was irrelevant to the idea you were trying to convey in both subject matter expertise and the argument at hand. If you remove the sentence about your education/work, nothing else about the story changes, you just come off as show-offish like we're supposed to cede to your credibility.

An understanding of statistics is actually super important for spotting the kinds of flaws raised in the 538 article that I linked to, but fine whatever, I'll go edit it out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Salty Josh posted:

You're good man. We all open the cheeks every once in a while and let the ole chicken eye speak for a minute.

Thanks. At first I was concerned that I was talking to a crowd that was employing antivax-levels of "blindly trust anyone who tells you what you want to believe" but it seems like maybe that's not the case

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

An understanding that medicine and epidemiology have to account for human (societal circumstances that would allow for topless bottle feeding) and environmental circumstances (consistent availability of fresh water) outside of hard numbers is super important for understanding how medical guidelines are established as well.

The WHO page that was linked to earlier was specifically addressing the supposed benefits in cases where societal and environmental benefits are already perfect, the source that is being cited just isn't good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why do so many employees feel that work is a place for comedy and hilarious gags? I would fire every prankster in all those stories, even the car idiots

lol I hope some day that cashier job at Taco Bell gets you moved up so that you can put these great management ideas into action.

Can't wait to hear about how you're getting sued because you fired an employee for the egregious offense of parking next to another employee's car

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i can’t imagine spending a couple months being forced into exercise is really gonna convince anyone to make long lasting changes to their habits. unless they have a come to jesus moment after seeing the results they’ll probably just be even more stubborn going forward.

Game shows and fat camps that just put you on treadmills and feed you roughage for 6 weeks aren't going to work well for long-term health but I don't think it's impossible for a fat camp to be beneficial. A surprising number of people just don't know anything about nutrition, are largely sedentary, and eat whatever is in front of them until they feel full. This is a surefire way to become fat, and breaking even just 1 of those can make a huge difference.

Like say that a camp just teaches effective nutrition and portion control. This is probably going to result in someone losing weight, and food can be really delicious even when it's not covered in sugar and butter, so putting a fat person in that kind of environment might actually create a coming to jesus moment because they otherwise would never encounter that kind of effect on their own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. This is like that episode of American Dad where Stan keeps pushing Francine into the pool. They don't like your wife's BBQ? gently caress 'em. I will never understand how people can be such little bitchbabies about this poo poo. It will make her feel good to cook, and, unless she's serving actual feces, people will eat it and say nice things about it. I loving hate that guy for not supporting his wife in this tiny thing. She likes his family, and wants to feel like part of it, and he's embarrassed that she's not Meathead Goldwyn.

Or in sushi lasagna's case apparently it'll just sit there and congeal in the sun while the wife just looks on sadly lol

But yeah dude's an rear end

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

quote:

Do I just leave the project?​

Uhh... yeah?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe the girl freaked out because she saw Gina's butthole? I hear that's pretty traumatic for adult-children

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I could never own a cat, what if it sees my butthole?? I'd have to shower in the dark or something

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [24/M] discovered a stack of love letters to imprisoned murderers, belonging to my girlfriend [31/F] that I moved overseas to be with - along with a knife and positive pregnancy test.

I feel like that's good enough without even having to read the story holy poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

on first dates i wear my finest fedora and ask the lady if she owns any bitcoins

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dudeness posted:

Lol if you don't just assume everyone is secretly lying when they compliment you on anything and everything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dudeness posted:

I've been saving up my Christmases and Birthdays for the past 5 years, I'm thinking of either asking for a Nintendo 64 or a lifelong commitment from my wife to maintaining a perfect 18.5 BMI and to never overeat.

In the corner of the room, an evil genie strokes his goatee and smiles menacingly. That evening your wife eats an entire pork roast on her own and also grows in height by several inches...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I love wearing a bra, my manboobs need the extra support

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sterilize the anime havers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Just gently caress her since you don't respect him anymore god drat this is real easy.

Yeah isn't that the whole point of the fetish anyway? Dude is like 9/10ths of the way there without even realizing it, he's just letting his own hang-ups get in the way at that point (also possible he's just not attracted to her)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol @ trying to browbeat someone using an unrelated PhD

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm saying if you have some poo poo you don't want people to get into explicitly telling them it's ok to do so seems like a very, very dumb idea, to me. That's it. This guy had a bunch of food he didn't want anyone to eat that was going to sit around for a while, he could have either said "hey please don't eat the stuff in the freezer" or said nothing, but he chose to invite the dude to eat the food, so I don't get acting utterly surprised that the other person did exactly that.

Gee Ham Sandwiches let's try to break down this brain teaser together

Maybe when the person said "feel free to use my food" they did not mean "please clean out the freezer and liquor cabinet, just go ahead and eat and drink everything you find". Everyone gets that technically she wasn't placing any restrictions on her friend, but even if you're given carte blanche any normally empathetic person is going to see all of that poo poo in a freezer and think "dethawing and eating all of this food would be crossing a line, I won't do that". That's why someone asked you if you're on the spectrum; "how do I get all of this food into my belly and/or back to my place" is not a normal, healthy reaction to being placed in that situation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeza posted:

???

????????

What did you expect? Ham Sandwiches sometimes even contradicts himself in the same post, and then to no one's surprise later he tries to backpedal hilariously like some sort of cartoon character lol

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hi Quarkjets, let me just take a moment and explain that I find you one of the most pedantic and tedious posters on the site, and when you came in here throwing your physics PHD around w/r/t breastfeeding it all made sense, thank you for explaining the origins of your idiocy

I know you think "pedantic" is a sick burn but you really should look up what it means before you use it, cause I've never seen a post deserving of a bigger :ironicat: before

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I didn't find it, but did find this on r/advice. The title is just the beginning

My husband [44m] slept with my friend's daughter [16/f]. I [38/f] am not coping well. Need advice.

lol and then she posts all of this minor deranged poo poo at the end

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waiting for Ham Sandwiches to jump in and be like "well if the law says an 11 year-old can be married then of course that's fine and to be expected"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

My (24F) father (46M) refuses to come to my wedding because it wont be on "American Soil" I'm really upset and my father thinks I'm being Overly sensitive.

How many times do you think he says the word "snowflakes" unironically on a daily basis?

skipping my daughter's wedding to own all of the snowflake liberals

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

It must be lovely husband/dad day:

I (43 F) just realized my husband (45) of over 20 years is a creep.

E: post history by the OP

r/alanon

r/divorce

Father's day is coming up isn't it? That may be causing some people to reflect on how lovely their SOs are at being fathers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

If your cookies last for days, you need a better recipe.

Yeah what kind of goon doesn't eat two dozen cookies in one sitting?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

They need to give me a loving minute to chew it first. I think it's a game to them, trying to get people to talk with their mouth full.

Joke's on them, I'm happy to talk with food in my mouth

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I call bullshit on Dad’s note. No one goes from “perfectly content” to “immediate suicide” over the course of one conversation.

It's certainly in the realm of the possible. He was likely feeling suicidal for awhile and then an introspective conversation made up his mind

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

loquacius posted:

Everybody hates IPAs except the people who have convinced themselves they love them for unknown reasons (machismo?)

but yeah doppelbocks are basically German stouts so obviously they are fantastic, good find

Nah, people just like different things

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

All beer is terrible.

Your name is "All beer"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Why can't she play?

Probably she just doesn't want to, but maybe she's aware of the unspoken rule: don't play D&D with a SO

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

The fact that she couldn't make plans to be out of her house with presumably a month's notice is pretty telling.

You think she should get a hotel room or sleep at a friend's house or something? D&D nights are notorious for not being a 1-2 hour quiet thing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

i feel like you're ignoring a lot of context here. what about her behavior makes sense?

what Caganer hypothesized is probably about right, she got taken advantage of in a hosed up way and her reaction to it is strange but not indicative that she's lying

yeah her behavior doesn't make sense but the alternative doesn't really make sense, either

e: vvv oh apparently it actually *does* make sense, it's just counterintuitive to people who don't study sexual assault

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

If she’s that fit, she should get him in a clean and jerk lift, then throw him out the window when she’s holding him over her head.

Stop, dear god, stop!

My penis can only get so erect

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They are actually different, since in only one of those cases you're asking the person to adopt a less healthy lifestyle

It's definitely a bad thing to ask and if you can't stand that your girlfriend has visible ab and back muscles then just break up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

how many times has the boyfriend uttered the word "jihad" with regard to the baby?