Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm going to assume you meant a rough dollar value in terms of realistic modern reparations and give you an actual serious answer, and I would guess we could spend something on the order of 50 to 200 billion dollars on a broad program of black education, homeownership, job programs, decriminalization, and other myriad programs, and probably make a sizeable dent in black poverty without breaking the bank. That's relatively speaking a lot of money, but it's not some absurdly huge amount the US Government couldn't afford. For a frame of reference, that would be the equivalent of five to twenty aircraft carriers. We don't need more aircraft carriers. We need black people to have a future they can believe in.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, by "decriminalization," I mean the process of getting non-violent offenders and victims of three strikes/mandatory minimums, etc., etc., out of the system and reintegrated into society.

For another context, we will spend an additional $400B on veterans benefits from Iraq alone. That's not even the actual cost of that war. Just the increase in Vet benefits.

Although I would really want to see the alternative reality media freak when a planeload of $12B in shrinkwrapped bills gets lost in Atlanta or Oakland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

The entire show so far is up on iTunes.

About The case for Reparations article. Cotes mentions that black people effectively could not use the GI Bill after WW2 to buy homes for themselves. It's been awhile since I read the article but what were the mechanics of Red-lining because I don't remember if he covered that.

And maybe this is the best place to ask: Are there any books or anything else that covers the rise of the Southern Strategy, Identity Politics int he US, or the political fallout of the passage of the Civil rights bill?

And has anyone seen Moonlight? A theater in CT is finally going to show it this weekend.

Redlining comes in many forms, from communities having rules literally restricting deed sales to acceptable races only to banks refusing to give you a loan unless it is in the "right" neighborhood for your race. Another trick banks would do is basically only offer lovely loans so minorities would be forced to buy hazardous/damaged homes from the bank. It is also used to mean when businesses use geography as a proxy to refuse service on racist grounds (see Uber's treat delivery service maps for a recent example)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

Ah ok, I sort of intentionally have not followed the US elections so I don't know much about Bernie's ideas or their popularity among minorities. I take the point though that for instance better pay and employment protection don't help if you can't get a job.

Anyway the WoC thread has been interesting to follow, I hope this one is successful too.

Basically if there is a way to turn an otherwise good idea into another tool for systematic racism, America has almost always tried really really hard to do it that way. See: public education.

We managed to turn the idea of "educate kids no matter their race" into a school to prison pipeline that is incredibly selective for non-white kids.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am legitimately confused how white people are pronouncing Beyoncé wrong at this point. Like poo poo even my phone knows how to accent her name right.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Crazy white people, saying names they way they're spelled...?

If it's supposed to be pronounced like Dee-Anthony, it make more sense to spell it DeAnthony or something. It's not a matter of "the names are unconventional," it's that they are written in a way that doesn't really correspond with how they're pronounced. Other names that begin with D' use the apostrophe to indicate elision. On the other hand, doing it more than once after being corrected is a major rear end in a top hat move.

Beyoncé, on the other hand, it spelled exactly the way it's pronounced, and even uses an accent to clarify that pronunciation.

English isn't really the language I'd pick to try and die on the "rules of pronouncing words are consistent" hill. I can give you plenty of white as gently caress names that don't follow the same pronunciation rules as each other. Names and English both don't follow consistent rules, welcome to the language.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but you really can't fault people for making the wrong assumption either way, can you?

Yeah but the original post you replied to was expressly about someone purposely saying it wrong and refusing to correct themselves.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol. White people claiming not to "get" "black names" is one of my favorite things. Especially when they're just deliberately obtuse. I know a guy who will literally insist on pronouncing names like "D'Anthony" as "Dan-thony" and it's like, what the gently caress point are you even trying to make? Sorry that black people aren't mired in conventional thinking when it comes to names, skyler aidyn jones.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Alright yeah there was a disconnect there

Also shouting down racism online isn't the same as putting poo poo on the line in real life to exclude racism.

When you tell another white person that you're going to ruin their night, your night, and all your white friends' night if they choose to not own up to something racist that's a huge social signal to the entire group. And when your buddies back you up, the racist can have that dawning moment of "maybe all my friends are right and I was being racist."

Now if your buddies won't back you up...well I have bad news about your buddies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Secular Humanist posted:

People really want it to be okay to be super racist toward white people for some reason.

:gb2gbs:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

negromancer posted:

I think these white kids gonna find out real life ain't like the internet and we are not our grandparents.

We'll knock you the gently caress out and spit on your moms.

And sadly that's how the racist white kid gets away with it and black kid gets an automatic expulsion for violence (even if the white kid threw the first punch)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

got white bernouts lecturing me about mlk and now i have learned what my limits of acceptability are

thank you forums

Oh god I just looked up the post too....and I though the whole "unions were never racist" was going to be peak whitewashing from the left today

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I see every thread in D&D will be "Bernie would've been better than Hillary" until we all eventually drown in global warming water.

Don't worry we will take breaks to roll our eyes at MLK Jr too!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DrPaper posted:

Just because you're the OP of a thread doesn't mean you get to disbar discussion that doesn't break forum rules, or your own self-presented rules for your thread which you have no authority or power to moderate, let alone continually break D&D rules yourself.

The only way we can salvage this country now that Trump is in office is to work with our fellow liberals and people of color and make sure this doesn't happen next election, instead of shouting "RACIST! GET THE gently caress OUT!" at people trying to have reasonable discussion while you're still in the middle of your emotional freak out.

Why don't you go post in USPol about it, that's not the topic of this thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DrPaper posted:

And you're not a mod or an admin, so you're not the one to enforce those rules - nor does it make you exempt from the D&D rules at large.

I'm not white, nor am I silent about racist people in circle of family or friends. It's a pretty hosed up claim that the only people who don't want you making a joke of their race by screaming everyone is a racist would have to be white, and that finding your tantrums non-constructive it means I'm silent to racism experienced by me or around me.

You're posting off topic, why don't you go post in USPol?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DrPaper posted:

I did not say people of color are being loud and emotional, I said negromancer is, and he is. He's fervently telling every poster who doesn't see everything the way he does, despite also not being happy Trump won at such a vitriol he isn't even reading the posts half the time.

He isn't being loud or emotional. Take your hot takes to GBS.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

Bad metaphor, as it's pretty obvious what the first ocean liner anyone ever thinks of...

If another White Star loving sinks this poo poo I swear to god.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

There's also the fact that the US has poo poo for mental health care and if it's poo poo for white people you better bet it's way worse for black people.

And from what I understand all the medical bias against black people in American physical health services is even worse in mental health services.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

botany posted:

What does "general" mean in that study?

General populous I believe.

Edit: of whites

Edit2: just looked it up, the study was on UVA students. So that's among college students at UVA and then a lot of the analysis is on the white participants.

http://m.pnas.org/content/suppl/2016/03/30/1516047113.DCSupplemental/pnas.201516047SI.pdf

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 15, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

drat that loving red text. Another one.

I am amazed that the racists keep buying avatars like that. It's a lot of effort.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

I believe he is part Japanese, cause his name is Ichiro Young, unless his parents were super into the Mariners or something.

He will be going by the sumo name Wakaichiro, or "Young Ichiro"

That guy is awesome: http://tachiai.wordpress.com/2016/11/15/ichiro-young-kyushu-recruit/amp/?client=safari

quote:

Tachiai is excited to report that Ichiro Young, from the great state of Texas, is competing in Kyushu. At the age of 18, he has been training with the Musashigawa Beya (武蔵川部屋), and is hoping to be accepted during Kyushu.

Mr Young has an American father, and a Japanese mother, and the riveted interest of US sumo fans and he works to join the ranks of sumo men. At present he has yet to take a shikona, but Ichiromaru or something with “Young” (Waka) are likely choices. His coach had this to say about him: “A fast dash, like a rocket. I want to make him do oshi-zumo.”

Seems he is reading a lot of Naruto manga to enhance his Japanese language skills, and training like a mad-man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

botany posted:

What's this stand for?

Historically Black Colleges and Universities

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrike82 posted:

The fact that he didn't even bother voting in the election is really the cherry on top of everything.

Still better than voting Trump

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ta-Nehisi Coates has a new long form reflecting on Obama that is a good read for those who missed it and are interested: http://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/508793/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

No. Nope. As a PoC, I really want to respect Tiny Bronto's posts, but she doesn't deserve it. Her posts aren't genuine, respectable arguments. She just flips the gently caress out and acts like a lunatic online. Nobody respects her. She's worthless.

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Who the gently caress are you to call someone worthless because you don't like how they post?

Oh and sorry but people do respect her, even if you don't.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

Haha, no, actually she's a stupid, violent pissant who doesn't deserve an ounce of respect. gently caress her, and gently caress anyone who would try to silence other POC.

Says the person actively trying to silence other POCs. But it is ok when you say horrible things because

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

Oh, you dumb little gently caress. You stupid, stupid piece of poo poo. Which POC am I trying to silence right now?

TB of course, but I'm sure you'll play stupid and pretend that you never ever meant to do that jeez

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

Are you kidding me? TB is the funniest poster on these forums. I want her to keep posting forever.

Haha, no, actually you're a stupid, violent pissant who doesn't deserve an ounce of respect. gently caress you, and gently caress anyone who would try to silence any other POC.

But please don't take this as trying to silence you. :allears:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

I'm no longer gonna post here I'm going to be taking my black millennial self to this new hip(-hop) and happening website that's "deeply rooted in the community®"

http://www.365black.com

Love the fact the M365 Black Awards just goes to a 404 page

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Black gay men, iirc. Honestly most slag these days from black women/lgbt folks.

What is this slag and how can I appropriate it to impress my white coworkers? :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

negromancer posted:

There's this level of unchecked privilege and racism that always pops up that White America has mostly not addressed, and that's that we ain't your goddamn slaves anymore. We aren't the help, here to clean up all the messes you make. It ALWAYS comes up when its talked about fixing racism, and to a lesser extent sexism, which is the victim needs to fix the perpetrator. Somehow its only those 2 arenas, when that logic doesn't fly in literally any other situation.

White people really gotta cut that poo poo out.

It is really really easy to stay sheltered and be the white dude in this comic:

And add in a helping of "why should I care? I'm not going to fix everything by myself" and a handful of "the hardest struggle I can imagine is my own" and you've got a nicely baked white bread passive racism for the "I have a black friend at the country club" crowd.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Carmant posted:

I dont benefit from a systematic oppression of black people either.

gently caress you bitch

Why don't you go back to GBS where you can post all the racial slurs you want?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Carmant posted:

Nice anime avatar bitch

:gb2gbs:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Octatonic posted:

black.
Nah dude, p much anyone who isn't black has familial wealth (even if it's gently caress all) built due to oportunites they or their ancestors have because they weren't black, and you're sure as hell doing your best to stand up for the system ITTs, or in other words :gb2gbs:

I'm pretty sure someone who post the n-word (use/reference be damned) in GBS to be "shocking" actually isn't trying to learn about racial discrimination.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Oh give me a break.

Like maybe don't dismiss people's opinions as a "Tumblr dump" next time if you don't want to come off like an rear end in a top hat?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koalas March posted:

This is what she was probated for and remember that a mod here is running around spreading this conspiracy theory which is encouraging people to try and doxx her.

Meanwhile, this is a totally acceptable comment on SA now:

baquerd posted:

Hah, you thought you could talk about actual race issues on SA, that's funny.

News flash, embracing typical urban black culture is bad with money. No lovely biotruths, just cultural differences not conducive to getting ahead in America today, which are very similar to rural white issues. As always, being bwm is relative and coming from the wrong background is hazardous to your finances.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Considering Black Twitter became a bunch of white dudes posting what they think black people sound like don't let us find out. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

Have you seen who are going to be questioning him?

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/818628335546798080

At least I'll get some joy from this election seeing a panel of black people with power grilling a known racist.

Looks like "Panel III" are speakers in opposition, not just questioning: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/capitolinq/Cory-Booker-to-testify-against-fellow-Sen-Jeff-Sessions-at-attorney-general-hearing.html

quote:

WASHINGTON -- In a step his office says is unprecedented, Sen. Cory Booker (D., N.J.) will testify against fellow Sen. Jeff Sessions Wednesday when the Alabama Republican, nominated to become U.S. Attorney General, comes before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Booker will be one of three African-American lawmakers making a case against Sessions as they try to prevent him from becoming Donald Trump's top law enforcement officer. Sessions' nomination has drawn an outcry from Democrats and the civil rights community, each angered by allegations that he made racially insensitive comments in the past as a federal prosecutor and that he once derided groups such as the NAACP and American Civil Liberties Union as "un-American."

"I do not take lightly the decision to testify against a Senate colleague. But the immense powers of the Attorney General combined with the deeply troubling views of this nominee is a call to conscience," Booker said in a statement issued by his office Monday night. "Sen. Sessions' decades-long record is concerning in a number of ways, from his opposition to bipartisan criminal justice reform to his views on bipartisan drug policy reform, from his efforts earlier in his career to deny citizens voting rights to his criticism of the Voting Rights Act, from his failure to defend the civil rights of women, minorities, and LGBT Americans to his opposition to common sense, bipartisan immigration reform. The Attorney General is responsible for ensuring the fair administration of justice, and based on his record, I lack confidence that Senator Sessions can honor this duty."

Booker will speak out against Sessions alongside Rep. John Lewis (D., Ga.), a civil rights icon who marched with Martin Luther King Jr., and Rep. Cedric Richmond (D., La.), executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus, according to Booker's office.

Quite a stark contrast between what Booker and Lewis are doing and those on the left who want to listen to Sessions first.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mixodorian posted:

So you just missed that Cory Booker is bankrolled by hardcore Zionists or that just don't bother you?

E: Really tho, not to be confrontational but your response was pretty poo poo. I mentioned two politicians who are infinitely better than Booker and you reduce it to this poo poo? For what? Because you're mad at cacs that like Bernie? Mad about Bernie being tone deaf and immediately following up that voter suppression is racist?

Probably has more to do with the fact Booker is standing up to Sessions while Sanders is allowing decorum to stand in the way of opposing an AG who opposed the VRA.

Great, Booker isn't a saint. But right here and now, he's standing with John Lewis rather than with Republicans or sitting on the fence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Welp.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Proud of my Rep, Barbara Lee, who both is boycotting the Trump inauguration and also refused to certify his election:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Seven...ral-college-win

For those that don't remember, she was also was the only member of Congress to vote against the AUMF in the Global War on Terror because ""It was a blank check to the president to attack anyone involved in the September 11 events—anywhere, in any country, without regard to our nation's long-term foreign policy, economic and national security interests, and without time limit. In granting these overly broad powers, the Congress failed its responsibility to understand the dimensions of its declaration.... "

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lowtax is really being a wimp lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

This is still the forums where people did a thread about making 9/11 funny, right?

That image is loving satire at it's best, and I can't believe it lead to this loving meltdown.

Ah but you see the image is unacceptable proof of bias

quote:

The issue here isn't what constitutes a joke or not, the issue is if a mod should be posting stuff like that in a forum already notorious for being very left-leaning. In a forum where both debate and discussion should be allowed, mods should at least attempt to keep their bias in check, and that image clearly shows that ain't happening.

• Locked thread