Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I've been enjoying the bootleg mini Lego* sets - it's an enjoyable way to kill a rainy evening in with my partner. They also make me retroactively appreciate the quality of regular Lego - not having to apply a bunch of stickers, pieces that snap together without any dramas, less-obtuse instructions. Here's a slightly out of focus pic of the lil' takoyaki joint sitting in front of my TV:

This seemed like a good place to ask: are there any sites for getting stuff custom made from China (or other places)? I was looking to get some sewing (like a tent type thing) and acrylic boxes made. I do have local options here in Australia but I don't think they'd be cost effective, willing to take a punt and see what I get back.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mx. posted:

yeah put up an RFQ on alibaba with the details of what you want and you'll get a lot of responses. usually better for bulk purchases but you can check the MOQ
it's surprisingly easy, i got a ton of random poo poo made there

That is good to know!

I recently went through a long search process on AliBaba for some 3mm black glass plates and finding someone that would deal with a non-commercial MOQ (less than a 20' container) was a huge pain, but I hadn't actually tried the RFQ process. I did wind up finding someone but the shipping essentially doubled the cost - still went with it because you can't get black glass in that thickness for love or money here in Australia AFAIK.

I was also trying to get some silver nitrate but when I asked how the hazmat shipping was so cheap they said "oh yeah we just label it as something else" :stare:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I would buy this part from a vendor with a bit more QA. power mains are not to be hosed with

Excuse me sir, this is the mini-chainsaw thread.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I was actually looking for something like that a few months ago!

Wanted to find a collapsible 32 gallon box for making a portable darkbox (for doing old photographic processes) but the original Bin Warehouse one people were using has been discontinued for a while now. This one is slightly smaller but would probably work fine.

Ain't paying AU$184 for it, though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Dicty Bojangles posted:

China, king of mail safety.

I imagine the house kits for sale are more advertising placeholders, where the buyer would usually contact the manufacturer and work out their needs. I've been watching Grand Designs New Zealand lately, and they seem to get a lot of bespoke materials and finishings custom-made and delivered from China.

On a lark I tried to get a kilo of silver nitrate from Alibaba. The price was good, but only because they were going to mislabel it as something else to evade Customs/proper hazardous goods shipping.

I did not place the order.

The smaller 20' "pods" are definitely a real thing you can order from AliBaba. There's a business near me that sells them assembled and wired up for electricity for something like AU$10k, I think they come flat-packed with several in a 20' container.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Nettle Soup posted:

I wanted a bottle to hold soy sauce, since the 2l bottle I've just bought is a bit big for dripping onto the sushi.

Here's some cute plates and bowls:

These ones have a relief that looks cute when you put the soy sauce in:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001340513691.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003500688626.html

These little seasoning sets are cute:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002212033746.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003123300371.html

This is the one I was most tempted by:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003771108699.html

Dipping bowls:
These are ridiculous and I love them:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003447081745.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001383614590.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002391062413.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003498549209.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001571224218.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003828095081.html

I never did find a good soy sauce bottle.

Those are all really cool! :kiddo:

Personally I'd just go with one of those basic glass ones you see at restaurants.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah, sometimes you just have to heed the siren call of the AliExpress Stupid poo poo...

Coke to scale

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000123623176.html

Mine came today!

The reviewers weren't kidding about the weird chemical smell, hoping it disappates like they said.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DRINK ME posted:

I asked a friend who lives in Japan about tabi boots a while back, when I first learned they existed. A “do people really still wear those!?” type thing. He does live in a city but far from Tokyo, Osaka, any of the huge metropolitan centres.

That matches my experience. We did an ultimate frisbee competition thing one year on a beach with some incredibly coarse sand that was pretty brutal to play on (we all hated it), the next year my very competitive American mate wrote something to the effect of "bring tabi or i will NOT play with you" in his invitation to the event, lol.

The more rubbery type ones were what he was talking about, protects your foot and helps with grip while still retaining some of your foot's natural flexibility... basically a cheaper and less dorky Vibram FiveFingers. They're also useful for scuttling around breakwaters and stuff if you're fishing. Not uncommon to see in the rural area I was living in, but yeah, not as streetwear, more stuff for practical work or leisure activities.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

spiny posted:

Place bet now! what am I likely to get in '1 to 10 days' from ordering this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004151665550.html

I guess it'll turn out to be a much smaller peltier cooled model, rather than an actual compressor model, but at £16 all in, it's still cheaper than a non powered coolbox, so at the very least I can fill it with coolblocks for days out in my van.

An Australian reviewer I read once called one of those 12v peltier cooler boxes "a pissy little eskie" and seeing one instantly evokes the phrase in my mind, every time.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Quite possibly my favourite unlicensed Lego building block toy set to date. A bit rich for my blood, though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I got another USB adapter: an USB-C to Micro-USB adapter. This is so that I can use the same wires coming from my power bank to charge both USB-C and Micro-USB devices.

I use something like these on all my devices to have One Charger To Rule Them All*. Important to note they do power only, not data, but I find I don't really do much data over cables these days anyways.

*Except my 3DS and PS Move controllers, which are proprietary Nintendo and Mini-USB, respectively.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I was doing a quick Google and it sounds like your account may get locked temporarily if you order something and have it sent to another country - anyone have experience with this?

I want to send an inappropriate shirt to a mate over in NZ. I could always get it sent to me here in Australia, then send it to him, but I'd much rather have it drop out of the blue randomly from China for that extra :discourse:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Unperson_47 posted:

edit: Ok, I went to check out the tracking number for my ear buds using 17track just out of curiosity and saw this:

17track says this package kept traveling though and went from California to one state above me (I live in the Southeastern US) then to my state and then BACK to one state away and back here. So there's all kindsa shenanigans a-happenin' if this package of ear buds actually exists.

Did you get those AirPod style ones that were posted back in the thread a couple months ago?

I bought mine from what looked like a reputable seller the first week of April and there was a flurry of activity the second day, then complete radio silence for a month and a half:

Everything I've ordered since then has arrived, but not the drat earbuds.

Weirdly, I got a text from Fedex yesterday out of the blue saying they needed me to email them my last name for customs pre-clearance on a set of earbuds (the address was a legit FedEx domain, so pretty sure not a scam, dunno what anyone would be able to do with my surname anyways). I obliged and got a curt "received" from the address, so here's to hoping they show up in the next few weeks.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah, I bought mine from a seller named "CCC Digital Global Store."

Also, the bad thing I just noticed about submitting a dispute using the interactive chat is that I was not able to attach screenshots of the tracking info as evidence so I don't know how that will affect my dispute.

Mine were from "Haylou Official Store". I've gotten a Fedex tracking number now, originating out of... Malaysia, but seems to indicate it should be here in a week.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Update on those earbuds: they arrived on Friday :toot:

I ordered black but they gave me what turned out to be dark blue. This was mildly annoying until I decided it was a Neo Yokio reference and all was forgiven.

A little less impressed with the battery life though, it said 6 and I got maybe 3.5 or 4 from a full charge to dead. But the sound quality is decent and they otherwise seem solid.

Aside from more battery life, I think having some way to adjust volume remotely would also greatly improve them, but again, for the price I'm not mad.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Which ones did you get? I checked your past posts but didnt' see them. I just bought Samsung's Buds Pro through work and I dont' think they last that long lol. They say it's 5 hours with ANC on but it didn't feel like they last that long even with it off, yesterday I just got through an album and a 1 hour podcast.

These ones. Best I can tell they put my order on the slow boat to Malaysia, and then some distribution centre in Kuala Lumpur whacked them in a Fedex envelope and they were on my doorstep a few days later.

They claim 6 hours battery life on a single charge but I don't think it could have been than 4.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I have an Anker battery bank I've been using occasionally for nearly ten years, still works.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I bought the cheapest fancy eBay solder station (adjustable temp with a display, basically) on eBay for around AUD55 a few years ago and it's been working like a champ for my occasional hobby use. Definitely a good purchase and when I'm in a position to settle down somewhere permanently I'll probably invest in a Hakko or something.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DRINK ME posted:

Anyone got decent pens from Ali? I don’t need anything fancy but just something that is consistent and smooth, I suspect I’d be better going to a stationary store and spending a little bit more on something I can test and something I like but thought I’d ask here. I probably don’t know enough about pens to know what I’m after tbh which is another point to going somewhere I can try them out. Coloured pens are a bonus.

I got these a while back which aren’t great writers but I love the erasable factor. I don’t use them for anything I couldn’t use a pencil for but I still like them, mostly used for marking off rows when knitting / making notes when knitting.

These are okay but very scratchy, sometimes feels like carving the paper and the ink flow is not great.

These (not exactly the same pack or seller but same design and branding on them) are absolute garbage quality, ink would barely flow and when it did it was inconsistent. I think maybe a week before I put them in the bin. Not even a put aside and maybe use later, just a sigh and binned.

cyberia posted:

I have never gotten a cheap pen that was worth a drat. I think it's one of those things you're better off spending a little more on a decent quality item. I've been using Pentel Energel 1.0mm ballpoints for probably the last decade and they're great. Smooth, good flow, good colour, only cost about :fivecbux: and last a reasonable amount of time even if you're writing whole documents by hand.

Basically this. The Pilot G-2 in .5mm is my mainstay; not cheap (decent discount buying them in bulk from HK, actually), but refillable, durable, and a pleasure to write with.

I'm a teacher by trade and good, reliable pens are a must.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DRINK ME posted:

Thanks for all the pen advice. I’ll go down to officeworks on the weekend, where you can draw dicks with all the pens to find the one you like (Staples would be the American equivalent, I think?)

These cheap hats I bought showed up today and they’re pretty great. They’re made of good thick material, solid brim and the print looks good. They were only packed in shipping bags but had a stiff plastic piece tucked in the front of them to prevent causal crushing by the postal service.

I got this one and two others from the same company, all with shuttle motifs.

e:

Not that I saw, the listing would say historical but 99% of the time it was LOTR or GOT swords.

Yeah, Officeworks has a good range, I think that's where I fell in love with the Pilot G-2. At $5.20 a throw I did my bulk ordering on eBay though.

With the hat, it's probably the Buran :eng101:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Mx. posted:

depends on what bulk you're buying. i've gotten custom manufactured stuff from alibaba and they just sent it dhl, included all the random fees on top (was around 15%)

Yeah, it's not that bad for smaller orders. I got some 3mm black glass plates in 4x5" and 8x10" made (40 each size) and shipped to me in Australia through AliBaba. There wasn't any particular customs bother other than GST being added onto the order, which is standard for international purchases here.

Since it had to be air freight it basically doubled the cost, wish surface freight was more of a done thing for smaller orders as I wasn't in a big hurry. I still came out far ahead vs buying from a US supplier (who is adding their margin on to what they paid from Alibaba), would definitely use again.

Two key terms to know:
MOQ - minimum order quantity
RFQ - request for quote; basically you say what you want and how much, and companies decide if it's worth their while and bid on it. I didn't realise this was a thing, and wasted the better part of 3 afternoons (home sick, tbf) trawling through glass manufacturers manually to find someone who could make the quantity/specification I needed.

Uh, do be careful about what/how you order; it looked like I'd found a decent supplier of cheaper silver nitrate, but it turned out that was because they were planning to lie on the customs declaration/hazmat paperwork. Noped right out of that conversation and stuck with my domestic one.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Everett False posted:

I actually tried to buy this stupid thing, for the record,

I see what you did there.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

VictualSquid posted:

So, when I open a new private window and go to ali it is in German. And there is a strange search suggestion showing up pretty regularly : "netflix account deutsch".

My random unwanted AliExpress language is Arabic for some reason.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

buglord posted:

Finally dove into this thread on a whim. After reading a couple dozen pages, I realized I can probably get some really cheap knockoff Lego sets. Are there certain brands I should look for? Do they generally come with all the pieces, or are some missing as a rule for this price point? And do they come with instructions, or should I just go to the Lego website and use those?

LOZ are pretty consistently good.

I've never had one come missing pieces, generally they come with a number of extra pieces (generally just the tiny ones, I think they assume you might drop some into the carpet/between floorboards).

The instructions are included. I find them a little more opaque than what you'd get with a Lego set, but not unreasonable, you just need to be kinda careful. The only ones I've bought are not actual Lego sets but original designs (or I guess copied off fan websites) so there's not a legit Lego alternative or anything.

One thing I will say is that it can be *very* hard to distinguish between a couple of the colours, which has led to some real frustration at times. (I am a bit red/green colourblind but my partner is normal and she doesn't do much better.)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DRINK ME posted:

Murder of crows tarot deck
I don’t know much about tarot but I bought these for a gift for my friend who has lots of different decks. I like birds so figured it was a nice choice, and since they aren’t shrink-wrapped I had a peak and they’re beautiful. Feel like proper cards and not thin plastic cards (playing cards I mean, that are all plastic and not plastic coated cardboard) that some Ali sellers have.

That looks awesome, just ordered one myself. My partner is into tarot and her younger sister is really into birds, so I reckon this'll be a slam dunk gift.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just get a lead test kit from Aliexpress.

"The lead is coming from inside the kit!"

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

By popular demand posted:

None whatsoever.
I gave in to a couple of sob stories but no more!:tfrxmas:

eBay, but I ordered a fancy 3 minute sand timer from India for like AUD$45 (at least half of it was shipping, IIRC). It showed up and... only went for two minutes. I opened a dispute saying "It only would have taken you 3 2 minutes to check this for its one and only function" and got a sob story back and felt kinda crummy so accepted a refund that didn't include the shipping. In hindsight I kinda wish I'd played hardball as it really was a very basic and easy to catch thing (and inconvenienced me a fair bit waiting for another one to come from a different seller), but ah well.

I wound up opening it up and pouring out half the sand to make it a one minute timer (which I use for my Aeropress), so not a total loss I guess.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've bought a whole bunch of these magnetic usb-c adapters and really like them, it is satisfyingly easy to poke the cable in the general direction of the plug and have it snap into place without even looking
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001620928422.html

https://i.imgur.com/8TeWOrs.mp4

I'm surprised there's not a more mainstream company like Anker that makes these, I'm guessing must be patents or something?

I've had issues with the Lightning ones working once or twice and then never again (gave to my partner to use with her iPhone), but the USB-C and Micro-USB have all been pretty solid. The latest batch of USB-C ones I bought seem to be just a tiny bit too small to get a proper snug fit though, the little insert keep coming out of my phone's USB-C port unless I detach them kinda carefully.

They're really nice to have in the car or by the side of the bed so I can plug it in without having to look. The other major bonus is having one cable that charges pretty much everything; sadly I don't think anyone's ever going to make a mini-USB one so my PS Move controllers are going forever uncharged.

tater_salad posted:

I was all about those magnetic chargers but eventually the contacts on my device for crudded up and I eventually went back to regular

Part of the draw for me is not putting wear on the USB port and keeping it from getting crudded up (I buy my phones secondhand and tend to use them for 4+ years)!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

By popular demand posted:

It has been claimed that those keep on collecting tiny steel fragments from the environment until you can't connect them anymore, I'm interested in learning the truth.

Only the one in my car seems to have the opportunity to do this, and while it does interfere eventually all you have to do is rub them off and it's fine again.

engessa posted:

https://www.voltacharger.com/ has been around for a few years. No personal experience with their stuff.

Had no idea, thanks for that!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

led me to this gem:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=67BWDbCLVgK4

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Welp, just spent $50 on enameled pins (I work at a high school, these are going to be fun to show off/give out).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Sentient Data posted:

Eh, why not. Tested with a golden potato around 3" long to make sure it's worth the effort to take apart and clean. I used a luggage scale as a makeshift force gauge, the handle maxes out at needing only around 9lbs of force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isNeFmt-V90

now do fingat

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

So I looked up 躺平 ('lying flat'*) to see if there were any fun stickers, T-shirts, or whatever... there weren't, but there was this duck lamp:

*of course, the CCP has banned selling any 'tang ping' merch.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DRINK ME posted:

I finally did something I’ve been thinking about for a long time

6kg (13.2lb) bulging box covered in tape

Tsar Wart was right there… but we got Satr Wrat instead. A 222 page manual, with some stickers between the pages

Unpacked on an unclean floor

Which will eventually become this Millennium Falcon + stand

I’ve been looking at it for so long and know all the practical reasons why I shouldn’t have bought it but after the recent ali lego I made and really enjoyed, I decided to go for it. Plus I got a bonus from work which may be the last one ever since another 80 people were made redundant this month.

Odd: the one I bought was AU$396.87 which is on the cheaper end of the many available but it shows as “no longer available” today, and if I go to the store it shows a little “Store on vacation” note and you can’t do anything except press Go Back. They also had free shipping and it came via DHL, which is usually a premium for ali orders here.

That's cool as - I've got a collection of Ali Legos I've been slowly working through before I move. I finally had a set (a succulent) come missing pieces, as well as one piece that was like, half melted from the manufacturing process I guess. I ordered it a year or two ago so it'd be kind of ridiculous to hit the seller up with a complaint, cost of doing business. :china:

I've been eyeing the B-Wing for a while. Maybe after the move...

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 23, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Bored posted:

My 3rd item is a “bone conducting” earphone. Since I mainly will be using it to listen to audiobooks, it doesn’t have to sound great.

Bone conducting earphones on AliExpress? Sounds like a great way to get boneitis :colbert:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm always tempted to get one of the hippo ones but then... ehhhh.

Hahaha, that's pretty good. I also love the Coldplay in the little video demo.

Actually, please post links to the most unintentionally funny AliExpress product videos you got.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

The shamisen (or whatever Chinese instrument) in the little video makes it :discourse:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Is this good for my racing pigeon?

Before the pic loaded I was thinking it might be something for a Flying Pigeon, which is a Chinese make of bicycle (IIRC a straight knockoff of a 1930s Raleigh).

I bought a used one when I was a student in Beijing for like $20, thing was incredibly heavy and had some fairly anachronistic brakes, but I found myself getting really attached to it. It was a little rusty so I treated myself to a brand new one when I left, thinking I'd get a nice new bike that was already boxed up for airline transport. I think it was like the equivalent of USD$50?

Naturally, when I opened it up to put it together, there were several defective parts brand new from the factory which I would have had to get machined (this was in the late 00s, don't think I could find anyone selling parts from China).

I left it in my parents' garage for a year or two, then put it up on a local marketplace with an optimistic price of $200 (what I paid for bike + transport fee on the plane) in "As is" condition, thinking at worst could drop the price in a month or two. I think the listing was up for a couple hours before a Chinese law student messaged me and paid full asking price. He picked it up in a convertible.

That's my Flying Pigeon story!

edit: here's a stock pic of one:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

stephenthinkpad posted:

Flying pigeon is a nostalgic early industrial brand like Seagal camera. Each of those brands has (had? I know Seagal died) emotional attachment to a city too.

I wanna say it was Shanghai for the bike, although I was living in Beijing.

I had a Seagull TLR and a couple off brand ones (Mudan*), stocked up at the photography market before I left as souveniers for photography enthusiast friends back home. I don't think I ever paid more than the equivalent of USD$10 for them, maybe the Seagull was a little more. By the time you get to the Mudan it's likely a 4th gen knockoff: I'm pretty sure Mudan copied Seagull, who copied Yashica, who copied Rollei. It was perfectly fine though, here some shots I took with it while I was living there (the colours are weird because it's cross processed slide film).

I meant to get one of the little 6x6 folding Seagull's but never got around to it.

*different characters and all, but I got back into studying Japanese recently and was amused to find out "mudan" is a homophone for "irresponsible" in Japanese :v: (IIRC it's "peony" in Chinese).

Killingyouguy! posted:

Pigeon is probably a good name bc that thing looks light enough to float away on its own

Not exaggerating when I say it weighed like 50lbs, Google seems to corroborate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

mystes posted:

I sometimes fly to places where I end up renting a bike and that adds up extremely quickly so if copycat bromptons are readily available that could be pretty tempting if I could manage to fit one in my checked luggage and then move most of my luggage to big carryon bag or something. Not sure how practical that would actually be but it sounds cool in theory at least.

So I shot a penny farthing race a couple months ago and was asking one of the racers how she flies with it. She said "I just tell the airline it's a bicycle and then walk up to the oversized luggage check with confidence. It hasn't failed me yet".