Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GTA games are boring as hell, the controls suck and the humor is mostly just sort of unpleasant.

e: didn't even realize I was posting this mid GTA discussion.

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

dark souls 2 is the best dark souls game

Yeah this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zorodius posted:

GTA4's driving controls were actually great, it's just that it handled like a driving sim, not an arcade game, which was totally alienating for a lot of players.

You're not supposed to floor the gas everywhere. So, keyboards are out.

I never actually played that one, I really meant all of the controls for everything, not the driving controls specifically. Playing a GTA game feels like playing Croc after years of 3D platformers that aren't terrible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Almost nothing video game related is truly lost compared to a lot of TV, books and to a lesser extent film though. it seems like you can dig almost all of it up in some capacity. it's kind of funny because video games are pretty dumb and they will probably end up being the most thoroughly archived form of media ever.

Eh, online games that no one bothered to make bootleg servers for are pretty much gone forever. Speaking of unpopular videogame opinions, I wish I could play Darkspore again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Haven't developers ran analytics and found that people take the "good" path 80% of the time, and that rises to more like 95% if you only look at first playthroughs?

My unpopular videogame opinion: the original Mass Effect 3 ending was fine and people who flipped their poo poo about it are unbalanced weirdos. The series is all about choosing red or blue so adding green to the mix is actually 50% more than I expected. That sounds like a joke but I'm being totally serious there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the sad thing is that most modern UIs are garbage, but they were just even worse in the old days.

Consoles oddly enough were often flat out better since they had to actively work with limited inputs from a controller, while PC just made developers stop giving a poo poo entirely.

The GUI was perfected by Jeff Vogel with Geneforge 1.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I enjoy the Yakuza sidequests but I only ever do like a third of them. There's just so many and the core gameplay just isn't that engaging.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

i'm deeply suspicious of anyone who played persona 5 already who is hype for the new one with an extra dungeon and character because that is not a game that needed to be longer

Seriously, I was ready for that game to be over about 60% of the way through.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

What's the worst game everyone has played all the way through? I think mine was Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

Probably the Aaaah! Real Monsters SNES game. Platformers where the character is animated like a cartoon character rather than a videogame character kind of suck in general, and this was a particularly lousy one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Floodixor posted:

But what was that early comic book game, I think for Genesis, that was actually pretty rad?

Comix Zone maybe? That was more of a beatemup than a platformer. 8 year old me couldn't handle that you had to hurt yourself by kicking walls to progress.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

VR gives me motion sickness to the point that I feel like poo poo for 12 hours afterward so I have no plans to ever play another VR game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

poverty goat posted:

a lot of these hot take first reactions from a mall a few years ago are based on early hardware that really made you nauseous with stupid game demos like the rollercoaster that were designed to make you nauseous and things have come a long way since then. still expensive but pc gaming being expensive if you want it to be isn't a VR exclusive thing either

StabMasterArson posted:

Everyone who hates VR played it once like 5 years ago and clearly it must be the same now

I guess this is the comforting narrative VR diehards have decided on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

I used a top of the line (at the time) VR rig at my company about a year ago and it was one of the most underwhelming experiences Ive ever had. I think racing, pilot, and DDR-esque games could be extremely well served but any game where the player avatar moves through physical space was dissapointing as all get out. Also its probably just me but it occassional felt Wii-esque when needing to aim and thats not a good thing

The hype around VR is some extremely Wii-esque "this is going to be the future of gaming" stuff. Maybe once they reach nursing-home level accessibility the big VR boom will finally happen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Furthermore, a JRPG is any RPG from Japan. Dark Souls, Shiren the Wanderer, Puzzles and Dragons, all of these would be classic examples of JRPGs if they were RPGs (which they're not because you don't play a role in them).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

Kind of weird how RPG came to mean a game with numbers and some degree of abstraction in gameplay when that's not at all what the letters stand for.

It's because that's the part of D&D that's easy to reproduce in videogame form.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Earwicker posted:

normally i understand why things get popular and i enjoy many extremely popular games and franchises but i cannot wrap my head around the animal crossing hype it looks boring and the art style is super uninspired. admittedly i have never played it

It's basically a cuter, more casual version of The Sims. I can see the appeal but it's not really for me. Although apparently the new one is very crafting focused and all your items have durability which can't be repaired. Sounds Just Awful to me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fartbox posted:

Most action movies these days are on par with videogame writing imo

Seriously, most AAA games have writing on the level of a Marvel movie and last I heard people were outraged at the implication that those aren't high art.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've got a 960 and I'm definitely getting to the point where I'm having to play stuff on medium or low. Great lifespan though. Of course now midrange video cards are like $350.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jokes posted:

I got a 1080 and thought it was a waste over my 970 until I got a 1440p/144hz monitor and now I get very upset seeing my framerate dip below 80, despite it looking so gorgeous and way better than any graphical thing before. I wish I got a 1080Ti or better/newer.

I think that upgrading your monitor beyond 1080p/60 without also upgrading your GPU (or vice versa) is dumb for anyone using a 970 or better. You won’t see much, if any, improvement. Of course at that point upgrading both a monitor and GPU will cost at least $1000.

Anyways. In Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord the top-tier bow/weapon/armor is about 10% more effective than the bow/weapon/armor beneath it, but costs as much as about 4,000 troops. Meaning I could purchase the life and death of 4,000 people for the price of a single bow. A bow that the shop has 10 of. My opinion of this is that Mount and Blade should have better gold sinks and it really detracts from the game’s simulation or whatever.

Mount and Blade has always had a weird abstraction where promoting a troop from a pitchfork wielding conscript to elite heavy cavalry costs around 500 denars total (getting them the exp is the hard part) but buying yourself even basic heavy armor costs like 50,000, if you can even find a shop selling it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Bannerlord seems very underwhelming, it looks marginally better than Warband, but that's about it. Otherwise it doesn't appear to have more variety or polish, and the leveling up system seems annoying.

As someone who never played Warband I'm enjoying it, but a lot of that is probably just that I like Mountain Blade but haven't played it in forever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What midrange cards? The 1660 super is 230 bucks and can handle everything on 1080p/high settings. It can even do VR.

I guess the word "midrange" is imprecise and can very in meaning depending on who is using it and in what context. I was referring to cards that go for around $350.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Those are either the 2060 (non-super) or whatever driver-issue riddled monstrosity AMD has at that price point. The 1660S is nearly as powerful as the 2060 for a hundred bucks+ less, it just doesn’t have the cool ray-tracing stuff or DLSS. 350 is basically the exact wrong amount to spend on a graphics card right now, you can either spend less on basically the same performance or spend 500 and get something that will absolutely smoke a 350 dollar card.

That's good info, thanks!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I dont know how unpopular that is, as Skyrim's modding community generally loathes "vanilla."

People are always saying this but that attitude is pretty much exclusive to obsessive internet nerd dens, the vast majority of people play the game totally unmodded.

Skyrim was pretty good in 2011 but its continued popularity is a bit weird to me. TESO is the best Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind. Yeah it sucked at launch but last time I played (a few years ago) it was actually pretty great.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ocarina of Time: not a good game

I think most of the stuff from that period has aged terribly but everything on that list was great when it came out. I'd still rather play Mario Kart 64 over any of the others.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I had to go back and play a console from that generation it would be the 64. Yeah the Playstation had way more games but they've mostly aged just as bad or worse. Playing a 90s era jrpg in 2020 is a major exercise in frustration.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

The only people who love the N64 were the ones who had it as children.

It aged like garbage. Of any relevant system, it is now pretty much the worst.

Relevant systems:

NES
SNES
N64
GC
Wii
Wii U
Xbox
PS1
PS2
PS3
Master System
Saturn
Dreamcast
TG16

The only system on that list that is arguably as bad is the Saturn. There isn't even an argument between the N64 and any of those other systems. They all have much better libraries and/or are better to play on.

The only things keeping the N64s head above water are SM64, MK64, OoT and Smash. All are seminal titles.

No one who didn't own those systems as a child is going to go back and play any of those unless they have one of those psychopath gamer dads who forces them to "appreciate the classics" hth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hollow Knight is the best metroidvania. The map system is good and contributes to the game's atmosphere. It is not a soulslike.

signalnoise posted:

Previously, I stated that Gabriel Belmont was a good character design. Well, I beat Castlevania: Lords of Shadow last night, and I dunno why it got good scores if people actually finished the game. It starts meh and then gets cool for a bit in the middle and then it becomes increasingly repetitive and then the second to last enemy in the game is a boss fight that is nothing but Uncharted-style climbing and everything after that is the worst plot twisting I've ever seen, and I watched The Village.

I enjoyed that game at the time, it was a straightforward God of War clone but I liked pretty mucvh everything about it better. But that entire genre is incredibly tired at this point so I doubt I'd enjoy replaying it. Lords of Shadow 2 tried to go more nonlinear/open world and ended up just being a confusing mess.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 26, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hollow Knight's plot and setting clearly take a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls but gameplay-wise it's a pretty textbook metroidvania. Salt and Sanctuary shows that a game can be a metroidvania and a dark souls, but Hollow Knight isn't.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

If someone describes a game as cozy or charming it typically means its easy, extremely repetitive due to some form of slow progression, nobody you talk to will shut up, and the sun is bright in the sky.

I skip cutscenes constantly in JRPGs but even for me DQXI's final chapter was too stupid conceptually to playthrough, which probably wasnt helped by the combat in DQXI being "cozy" and "charming".

When a game reviewer calls a game charming it's usually because they can't bring themselves to call it fun or good. There are good games with plenty of charm but you rarely see "charming" used as a buzzword for them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

sorry I donno. honestly i bought this switch lite to play Musou games and indy metroidvanias on the go. its very good at that!

is Hollow Knight an RPG?

Not really, it's basically an Igavania without levels/exp. The upgrades are limited to stuff like heart containers, upgrading your sword a few times, finding some items that give you new abilities and that sort of thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

it has NPCs and dialog and a story of sorts. i donno i guess "RPG" is a recessive genre trait. if another more dominate genre is part of the game it becomes that instead of RPG

I guess for me, when it comes to videogames, RPG means that gaining exp and leveling up (or some equivalent) is a major a focus of the game. Nowadays just about every game has that to some extent. There was a period where a lot of games advertised themselves as having "RPG elements" when they were sticking character progression into a genre that didn't typically have it beyond, say, picking up new weapons. But now "RPG elements" just kind of go without saying so I don't think they're really enough to call a game an RPG.

Or I guess you could go with the literal definition where RPGs are games where you play a role so every game that isn't extremely abstract (e.g. Tetris) is an RPG.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Gears just has sequences of encounters. Instead of exploring a map and trying not to trigger certain monsters, you approach and a whole encounter is triggered and that's it. It's a really good translation of the 3rd person shooters to turn based, and it makes perfect sense as a tactics game honestly. I kinda thought it was a dumb idea before I played it but I mean, the shooter game is a cover shooter, and this is a cover-based tactics game, so yeah.

Get it on PC with that gamepass poo poo because it's much cheaper that way.

I just beat the first big boss and I'm really liking it, but what I hate is that it does that whole loot thing where you have like 10 gear slots and after a mission maybe you replace your common barrel that gives +3% damage with a rare barrel that gives +5% damage. Games like this should just have 2 or 3 slots that each have a major effect rather than a bunch of piddly ones you may or may not ever actually notice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I learned a ton of vocabulary playing Realmz as a kid. Of course I pronounced everything wrong, like fatigue was fatty-goo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Could you not do that in RDR? I remember that you had a lasso and could tie people up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That probably means you're very stupid.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and spell it out for you OP: millions of 12-year-olds buy it because you can steal cars, say cusses, and hire/kill hookers and they haven't yet developed enough discernment to tell that the games are actually poo poo. It isn't rocket science. That and the scintillating social commentary.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I find pretty much everything about The Last of Us 2 remarkably unappealing but at least the plot isn't "ur a dad" + "zombies" this time.

e: I guess there are still zombies, so nevermind.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People just love to hate The Last of Us, they hate it because its a PlayStation exclusive

Does anyone in the universe (I don't consider neogaf a part of the universe) actually give a poo poo about this? Presumably naughty dog fans all own playstations already.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

!Klams posted:

Speaking of low hanging fruit that makes billions, I brought it up years ago, but, why isn't there a Harry Potter MMORPG? It designs itself, and makes billions day one? It wouldn't even have to be good, AT ALL. Like Olivander's alone would make a million, day one, with each wand costing 50 pence / cents each. (Although obviously you have to convert mugglebux into Enchanted Ingots to spend in game to obfuscate how much things are worth on a psychological level). Maybe it's not even an MMO, maybe it's just literally ANY kind of game (gently caress it, broomstick racing game? Bomberman clone replacing bombs with 'magic', Tetris but you're dropping potion ingredients?) that has microtransactions.

This exists but it's mobile garbage, not an MMO. All of the money and probably <1% of the development effort.

ChazTurbo posted:

People who get hyped up over a game when all that's been shown is cgi trailers give me the grumpy dumpies. Especially when it's over the course of a few years.

Speaking of that, has there been any news on Beyond Good and Evil 2 since that gently caress-monkey trailer years ago? It's crazy how vaporware that thing is but last I heard Ubisoft is still insisting it's real.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 7, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

maybe this is me proving I'm dumb, but I put it down after I had to look up that I had to visit a library vampire to keep playing and it just made me mad. which is pretty retro but c'mon.

This was so stupid, it's what finally made me look up a guide. I have no idea how you're supposed to figure this out other than going back and talking to every NPC every time you beat a boss. Maybe OD mentions something about photos before, idk, but it seems like the way most people are going to interact with him is to find him, check out the luck boosting book, and then never come back.

The game also has a ton of annoying enemies that crawl along the ground and can't be hit by half the weapons in the game even when you're doing a crouch attack. I stuck with greatsword type weapons for pretty much the entire game just to deal with this poo poo since they have a big arcing sweep that's great for smashing monkeys or whatever.

Barudak posted:

I don't think it helps very much that Beyond Good and Evil was an extremely cult game and people who have gone on to play it later to see what the hype is about find a very messy, disjointed game. It has never made any sense to make a sequel of it.

Yeah, I played it a few years after release and though is was fine if unpolished but kind of unremarkable gameplay-wise. The fact that it had a strong female protagonist who wasn't an eyerolly Strong Female Protagonist probably helped.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

I wanted to like Bloodstained, but it just felt amazingly bland. Everything was fine, but the music didn't have the eclectic charm of SoTN, and none of the bosses or areas were memorable. The badass samurai was also lame, and felt like a self insert or something. And the backer portraits all over the place were ugly.

The samurai sucks so much. I like how even after you beat his powered up boss fight your character says "you were clearly holding back and could have beaten me easily if you wanted" and he says "ya i know lol".

The bosses in Bloodstained just aren't very good. There are a ton of iconic bosses from Castlevania I can remember like Legion and Death despite not playing a Castlevania for the better part of a decade, meanwhile with 12 hours played in Bloodstained over the last week or so I can barely remember any of the bosses from the first 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jabba is probably the preeminent Star Wars noble so I'm going to second biological.