Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

investigating schumer would be such a pointless shitshow that i hope they do it.

Obviously if they hold hearings on Russia toes, Schumer and Pelosi will get 9 hour struggle sessions, while Sessions and Trump will get a quick 5 minute hand job from Chaffetz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

btw canada built and gifted fully functional nuclear reactors to pakistan and india in the 60's because they pinky swore they would just be used for generation and not to build nukes lmao oopsie daisy :canada:

Pretty sure Canadian reactors use really low grade uranium and don't produce usable plutonium.

Here's the article on Canadian reactors. They use heavy water and natural uranium, so they can't be used for weapons production.

sullat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 6, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wtf is this? Use the default display like a real dorf.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nichael posted:

There's like fifty other relevant American politicians who cheated on or left their wives as they died from cancer. I don't know why we collectively got so incensed by Edwards specifically.

I think it was the campaign finance violations that doomed him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zegermans posted:

Ted I can understand but how the gently caress does Heidi agree to this

Probably looking forward to seeing all her Goldman Sachs buddies again in the white house.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sonatinas posted:

pretty irresponsible to use a baby walker, doctors today discourage their use because they can fall over

Look at the guy without kids, slavishly repeating "doctor's" advice about not doing anything convenient ever for the sake of getting a free minute to yourself.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gringostar posted:

stalone dredd is the fascist action movie, but stalone demolition man is loving art

What about Stallone Death Race 2000?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

Even mainstream churches game the system. One example I've personally encountered: say your church wants to build a parking lot, or a 'soup kitchen' that mysteriously only serves the congregation and can be rented for wedding receptions/wakes. A family member or congregant owns a private construction company. They win the no-bid contract, and construct the facility. But, surprise, the church doesn't pay the agreed upon amount. The private company gets a tax write off, and a lot of the money is unaccounted for at the end.

Catholic and Baptist churches are notorious for creatively maximizing tax-free transfers of wealth during renovations and expansions.

The Catholic diocese in Portland declared bankruptcy rather than paying the sex abuse damages. Surprise, they don't own anything, they just rent it from the Vatican.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

If yins aren't reading Fred Clark, you need to be. Basically: "Modern Christianity is a bullshit pseudo-religion that was invented to excuse slavery and later modified to make abortion the mortal-est sin of all time. Real Christianity, as it was practiced for about 1700 years would look at people citing single bible quotes and say 'the fuq is this' or 'lol get on my level scrub'"

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2017/03/03/ignorant-jerks-abusing-poor-will-always-will-always/

The full "the poor you will always have with you..." quote is ended with "...as long as you fuckheads don't adopt full communism now"

Lookit this scrub who doesn't realize religion is syncretic and that nobody has a claim on "real Christianity". A religion designed to support existing power structures is just as valid as one that is designed to subvert them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Baloogan posted:

And we’re on this planet, and Einstein’s physics showed it, Max Planks’ physics showed it all of it, there is at least 12 dimensions. And now that’s what all the top scientists and billionaires are coming out and saying: it’s a false hologram, it is artificial. The computers are scanning it and finding tension points where its artificially projected and gravity is bleeding in to this universe, that’s what they call dark matter.

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Former Everything posted:

They aren't talking to the half a million people who got insurance under the ACA. They are talking to their voter base who saw (as expected) premium increases because of the addition of a half a million people who didn't previously have coverage to the risk pool.

Idiot Dems and reporters will keep making this mistake. From its institution, repubs ensured they could call this a failure when talking to their base because premiums were going to go up.

Which base are you referring to? Cause rural whites got a huge benefit from KYnect. Maybe the base that is the too 40% of income households, but honestly, their premiums were going up anyways. ACA may have failed to stop the rise, but you don't blame Canute for the tides coming in. Just laugh at him for his failure to stop it. Besides, any increase in risk to the insurance pools was offset by the bringing of healthy young blood.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

flynn is a fuckin ★★★ general in the army, and a bunch of officer promotions are legislatively guided to being no more than a certain percentage of eligible people for a certain rank—like people thought flynn should beat out some other candidates for a bunch of rankin advancements

plus a whole lot of those promotions require senate confirmation, even if theyre usually done in bulk (so the senate just votes yeah sure promote this entire list of assholes to the ranks indicated on said list), plus he was director of defense intell and natl sec advisor, both senate confirmed roles

how the bonerz did this crazy fuckin compromised rear end in a top hat madman rise to the top of any list of candidates for anything ever, let alone do so and get confirmed by the senate a total of like 8? 5? 69?? times

War helps. He was mucking around in Iraq and was one of McChrystal's proteges. He kind of lost it when McChrystal was poo poo-canned.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Blatzmobile posted:

Good for him. Now he can collect unemployment benefits.

Not if he was fired. He would have to show that 1) he wasn't fired for cause 2) he was fired for lack of work (Trump not appointing a replacement would help) and 3) he has been diligently applying for new, similar jobs. And I hear there's a lot of openings in the AG attorney department.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

also lol if you don't think that we're just a year or so away from a majority of states having de facto poll taxes. All the swing states already do, and in Florida they just pick and choose whose votes count like a day before any election

Guess which ones aren't allowed to count

You're confusing poll taxes with poll taxes. One is forbidden in the US Constitution, the other by the VRA.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

is it one of those Scandinavian countries that are like 99% white and have a national scale meltdown when more than a handful of non-whites move in at once?

No, it's a different European country that's 99% white and has a national scale meltdown when more than a handful of non-white move in at once. Sorry, "Canton-scale meltdown".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

lmao if you think they'll be the ones to suffer from an economic holocaust

Yeah the ones hurt the worst will be institutional investors, like those suckers at Social Security or PERS.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Big Fat Iguana posted:

lol Truman found a way to outright steal one of Congress's powers and they let him & every president since do it without a peep of protest

One weird trick Congress doesn't want you to know about! Although no Congress has had the balls to try and challenge him under the War Powers Act, which may or may not be constitutional itself.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DrPlump posted:

The USA has the entire army of the world is basically a true statement.

If you disagree subtract all armies in the world from USA 1 to 1 and see whats left over.

Maybe in terms of money? But a lot of that is, well, to be honest, graft. Not saying that, say, China or Russia gets a 1 to 1 value on the money they spend on defense, but if you're counting army mans and tanks and planes the US will rapidly run out while the rest of the world is going strong.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

I just want to post one last time before this day is over that today, march 11th 2017 TYOOLDJT we found out that Bannon's landlord was worried when he discovered that Steven Bannon had filled his own bathtub with acid.

I thought it was his ex-wife that lived there. Who was arrested for trying to smuggle drugs into a prison.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

trumps gonna refuse the ceiling increase unless they pass trumcare first because if he doesnt get his name in shiny letters on a big victory then we'll burn down the species i guess

Seems like a good strategy, link the two together. I don't see any downsides! Does the government shut down when we go up against the debt limit, or is it just the financial sector?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

staring down the barrel of a default could inspirsome innovations of legal theory

It didn't last time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

the justices dont want to die somewhere between penury and apocalypse any more than most unbaloogans do

Except for Thomas and maybe Alito.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Addamere posted:

as an undergrad taking a political science course i once asked the professor why the us cannot just default on all its sovereign debt and the response was a mealymouthed wall of text about precedent and good faith and blah blah blah

and im like yo argentina defaulted and recovered from it just fine and they DIDN'T have the worlds largest economy and infrastructure and military and ability to bully the rest of the world into doing what they want to which he told me i did not understand the complexity

so someone here in cspam tell me complexity of what prevents big swinging dick us of a from just being like nah we dont owe u nerds poo poo wanna do something about it try it i will blow up this entire goddamned planet to spite you for it

i will have a mcskillet and a large chocolate shake please

Argentina's debt was mostly owned by foreign investors. The US's sovereign debt is mostly owned by Americans. Pension funds and Social Security, to name a few. You want to tell the SSA that they can get pennies on the dollar for everything in the trust fund? Well, I mean, Trump probably does, and Ryan would propose some sliding scale where everyone over 66 is unaffected and everyone under 66 has to contribute a kidney to make up the difference, but most American investors don't want their rock-solid assets to suddenly lose half their value or whatever.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

yeh i mean global depressions are actually sort of a big deal tho. it wouldnt rip a tear in the fabric of reality is all im sayin.

You ever been on a boat? If it sinks, nbd, there's lifeboats and life preservers and poo poo. Wouldn't be the end of the world. Unless instead of lifeboats, there's only pieces of paper that say, "bootstraps!"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

logikv9 posted:

so

bannon

He worked for Goldman Sachs, though, he would never crash the world economy solely for his own advancement.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AvesPKS posted:

Federal employees get paid by the hour.

Heyo!!!

While technically correct (the best kind), most hourly federal workers a pretty much guaranteed 40 hours no more no less. Managers and professionals are salaried, though. They're also the ones who work more than 40 hours, coincidentally.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Wrong. Jesus was in favor of paying taxes

Hell, he was in favor of double taxation.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

a.lo posted:

When are they going to get rid of the IRS?!

As soon as Trump's audit is done.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

every president does a version of the trump EO, and every single one realizes how incredibly difficult it is to tame the federal bureaucracy.

Except for the intelligence agencies, civilian federal bureaucrats are pretty tame. Report is just going to come back saying there's no more to cut, we're stealling paper clips from the DoD, please send us more money... and it will be true.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

weren't they planning on pushing it through before the cbo score came in

good job on that doofuses

I thought CBO wasn't supposed to look at ACA repeal bills.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Krazyface posted:

like 95% of what people know about zuckerberg comes from a popular, successful movie that depicts him as kind of a psycho

The movie whitewashes the hell out of the Zuck because the reality was far worse. At any rate, his only strongly held views are bringing in as many low-paid H1B1 software engineers as he can and not getting caught for fixing wages. Also arbitration clauses too, but everyone loves those.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

dynamic scoring is basically "assume tax cuts are good for the economy"

Or "assume 5% growth forever".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

thought 1: paul ryan can't remain speaker of the house after this

thought 2: no one actually wants to be speaker of the house rn

thinkingfaceemoji

Lots of people want to be speaker of the house. Those people can't get more than 109 votes from the Republican Congressmen, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I suppose nobody's gotten around to raising the debt ceiling yet.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DryGoods posted:

Right now, the Republicans are in a circular firing squad. The best thing the Dems can do is keep from being a rallying target in the fight. The news is all how terrible the AHCA is and R's fighting each other. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Thanks for the insight Mr. Mook. Hope you landed on your feet after November!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The real juicy stuff is going to be in the schedules and corporate returns anyway.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Maples had a kid?

Tiffany, I think? Or :thejoke:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I will point out that he's still apparently carrying forward 100 million in "losses" from his 1995 billion dollar loss. So his true income was something like $250 million and he paid $38 million in federal income taxes. So 15% instead of the 25% it might look like at first glance.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

No? He is carrying forward $100 million in "losses" so his actual rate is closer to 15%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheWeepingHorse posted:

What, specifically, concretely, are people expecting to find in his tax returns? What would be in them that would move the needle? There are so many other lovely things that he does and has done and will do...the tax returns seem like one big wild goose chase. Do people think that there will be an entry for RUSSIAN BRIBES - INFINITY DOLLARS?

If he doesn't want them released, I'd like to see what sketchy poo poo is in there. You remember Romney got real squirrely about his taxes? The three possibilities with him were 1) he made a killing in the global financial collapse and doesn't want anyone to know he was in part responsible for it 2) he got his clock cleaned in the crash and doesn't want to admit that he got taken for a chump, or 3) that he got caught with his money in Swiss banks and he repatriated the money during the holiday and doesn't want people to know he got caught. Any one of those things would have been good for the voters to know.

Same deal with trump. In addition, the corporate returns for Trump's byzantine structure of closely held corporations would be fascinating. As well as the books, but it's unlikely we'll ever see those, since he seems to treat his corporations as a giant piggy bank.

• Locked thread