Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

EoRaptor posted:

It wouldn't be difficult to create a tranche system that lets Ferrari (and others) keep their current funding up to a set dollar figure, and then balances the percentages more in favour of smaller teams. Ferrari wouldn't see their revenue decrease, but if Liberty was able to grow F1 revenue, then Ferrari would start seeing lower and lower percentages above specified dollar tiers. It lets them be special and creates room for smaller teams to get better as F1 grows.

It's a widely used financial instrument, so I can't see it causing any legal issues with all the different countries F1 deals with either.

Stop suggesting good ideas, wicka will get mad! Just kidding, wicka's previous answer actually makes a lot of sense, but it IS hard for me to look at F1 as anything other than Bernie's version of it. I can't conceive of the new owners doing "normal" things to grow and expand the brand and revenue. Frankly, all this internet business is just a silly fad that has no practical applications concerning F1.

The tranche system would be a good way to approach the Ferrari problem, at least initially since their current agreement can't be touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

New thread new day for Lance Stroll to attempt murder

FartingBedpost posted:

It's appropriate that Stroll's in a Williams. He just seems destined for immortality.

Killiams Martini F1 Racing, murdering drivers since 1994.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm genuinely concerned about the amount of shitposts I'm going to have to read when the season actually starts if the thread post rate is this high before practice even starts

Post counts over race weekends are usually drastically overinflated and easy to skim through due to the big clumps of F1 goons livestreaming their own commentary. We've had pages of stuff like:
- LOL Kimi
- Kimi
- Remebmer when Kimi forgot how to drive?
- Ice Cream something
- NNNNUUUUUUU, Kimi!
- Kimi is poo poo
- (Emptyquote of above)
- Kimi lol

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Like also. If you hate the live posting during the races..don't look at the loving thread during races?

Seriously half the poo poo some of you bitch about is self induced.

"Oh God I hate every one of you " *comes back to the thread year after year.

Edit: my phone posting typos are loving horrible lately.

Holy gently caress it's getting touchy in here. I didn't even say that was a bad thing, just pointing out that race weekends don't produce a lot of essay length posts. We better get some racing soon, before this place goes nuclear.

I don't judge you for your phone posting typos, but I might have reservations about your crippling need to be in this thread when mobile.

wuffles posted:

Lewis has no taste anyway so I dunno why he gives a gently caress

"I wouldn't drink out of anything less than a [insert trendy designer boot/shoe label here]."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ukle posted:

drat -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLoI_UXkcS4&t=361s

What do you want from New F1 Owners -

Alonso: Equal Engines

Hamilton: I don't want that

Ric: But not electric

Hamilton: Yeah and not Honda

Lewis: "More ladies in the paddock... more paddock access for women, there's too many dudes" :heysexy:

Kilmers Elbow posted:

HAM with a serious case of the notgays there.

Yeah, out of nowhere! Is the Poois Shamilton PR machine making bold new strides for 2017?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

"We have slightly elevated levels of engines shaking themselves to death, but we also have achieved more output. For the engines to ah.... shake themselves... to death. No more questions." *smiles blankly*

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

A positive answer would have been something like 'We have been turning it down to try to help the shaking problem' not "And as the tyres are wider, the driver may feel that the speed has dropped". Fernando can look at a clock just like anyone else

Maybe Honda is getting snippy with McLaren too. "A GP2 driver would likely feel like the speed is lower..."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

That's it, I'm going for it. My GP Predictor predictions are pretty bold with Are Nando on Pole and Podium, backed up with Their Strudel taking the second podium step. Get at me, fellas.

GramCracker, you should never go full retard, you know that!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Can anyone make an Alonso version of the above .gif? Use his press conference picture from earlier.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

What a poor weekend to get rivals.com probated, and then change internet/cable providers.

Seems like 2017 might be a good season, at least I'm hopeful based on the start. A good result with Hamilton not winning by a mile, Bottas being boring, but it looked like he could have challenged for sure if he was allowed to. McLaren SAD but Alonso running in 10th for a while might mean when they get their poo poo together they can be decently competitive. I'm looking forward to the next race to see if it fades back to bland predictability, or if we get more interesting.

Khablam posted:

Someone has created a really convincing fake F1 account on YouTube, and has put race highlights and other goodies on it, the same day as the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3cfJCOSq8Q
FOM must be writing such a hard C&D letter right now.

Thanks for this, now I don't feel like I have to go back and watch the race.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Just lmao if you think Honda is going to get its poo poo together this year.

No, I won't give up on them after the first race. They have to figure out a way to keep it from destroying itself by midseason. Don't they? ...DON'T THEY!?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Bring on the CDG wings!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

daslog posted:

I see. In the interest of saving time, here is a synopsis of every F1 over taking debate ever.

“The drivers can’t follow the car in front of them because of all the dirty air from the Aero”
“Easy fix. Ban Wings”
“We like the wings. Let’s put grooves in the tires”
“The grooves in the tires are dumb. Let’s make the tires degrade artificially”
“Push to Pass”
“let’s make little aero gates the drivers can open with their knees”
“None of this is working”
“Easy fix. Ban Wings”
“We like the wings. Let’s make the tires wider”
"Expert X (Currently Ross) will figure it out. Form a committee!"

repeat forever.

The real solution has been known for years.

Also: Formula 1 2017: "Sounds bad, looks bad, all formulas are bad"

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

dreesemonkey posted:

Believe me, I'm secretly super hopeful and Lewis not winning the title would be so so satisfying, just the thought of Bottas beating him in a race is lovely. I'm just not trying to get too hopeful :( I'm worried that it will be like barcelona from last year where Kimi or Vettel was stuck behind Max the whole time, the pace was there but the track was impossible to pass on if you're not 4 seconds a lap faster (which is maddening to watch).

Digitial media - I'm really hoping for a netflix-type thing where you have access to not only live streams, but past seasons, etc. The teams could also maybe add content like the redbull PR videos that they do with their drivers and maybe do a small revenue share to the teams for that. If it was priced reasonably enough, I could see it being very popular worldwide.

I think I'm going to cheer for Bottas this year. I'll have to give it a few races to see if he really is as bland and non-threatening as he appears, or if he'll jump in and take advantage when Lewis is off his game. I'm hoping all it will take is a few weeks of Lewis being passive aggressive, overlooking him as a challenger, likely being a dick in team meetings, etc. for him to get pissed enough to have a go. If their relationship gets salty quickly it will make me happy.

Netflix-type F1 service sounds like a great idea, and one I'd even pay for if it was cheap enough. I doubt they'd make it cheap enough.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Khablam posted:

I hope his fatal accident takes you out too.

Pirate Radar posted:

I would consider this because he's Not Hamilton, but I'm kind of holding out hope for an actually fun team like Red Bull or Haas to get its act together.

He's in the same car as Hamilton, arguably the best one, and if not for team orders and driver pecking order should have the best shot at beating Hamilton. And what's more appealing to me is that Hamilton losing to an inferior teammate for a second year in a row would be so satisfying. Watching an unsalted cracker like Bottas come up and take another WDC from him would be spectacular.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

But why is a drivers name change to an amusing pun bannable here under rivals.com?

I don't know but my only 2 probations in... holy poo poo 12 years(!) of posting at this hallowed institution are a result of that rule, despite pages of other P**is S***ilton references.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

freeranger posted:

Remember that time Webber was Nico's teammate and came over the radio saying "Brittany's in the wall". :smugbert:

Those were good times.

That's where it came from? I hadn't heard that story before, and it's one more reason for me to like Webber. He was cool and good, and F1 was better with him around.

Also, can we make saying "my dude" a probatable offence? It's more annoying to read than Poois Shamilton or any of the other lovely nicknames.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Emoji steering wheels is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard suggested for racing, and it didn't even come out of this thread. I'm shocked and appalled.

Stroll seems like a complete tool, but I guess growing up a billionaire isn't great for teaching you humility.

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there like a mental health subforum where we can find a psychologist goon to come in and explain why all the Lewis fans are hosed in the head?

"Paging Dr. E/N... Dr. E/N to the worst thread please..."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

That seems pretty weird after iirc Sauber was talking up how he was going to for sure be back for China

Yeah, I thought they made a big deal about it. Must be something pretty serious if they're already talking about missing Bahrain.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Gigi Galli posted:

My dude, there are at least two :evilbuddy:

Please probate for use of "my dude".

New thread title is the most accurate we've ever had. It means nothing to people who don't F1, and those who do F1 will understand our place in the natural order of threads.

It's at the bottom. Under the decomposing corpses of other thread failures.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

I think that's why so many worst thread posters love Ferrari. They are like a mirror image kakistocracy of this thread.

Thank you for learning me a good word today.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

One of you is a goddamn artist.

BubbaGrace posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:perfect:

LOL BubbaGrace, best 6 hour probation I've ever seen. I would make this your avatar had I the means or the continued interest.

1500quidporsche posted:

Honda developed this engine entirely on the back of single cylinder prototypes and only put it together as a V6 late December to find out how hosed it was. No loving words.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-boss-thought-2017-f1-engine-step-was-too-easy-889447/

Jesus loving christ, Honda! It's like you've never built a motor vehicle related item before. And it keeps getting worse.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

I mean I assume my neighbors civic has a Honda F1 engine in it myself

I believe this was clearly stated by F1 WDC Jack Newton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhbUuWBmBs

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Guys what if Honda was good? Power of loving DREAMS

In response to that, Alonso gives us his own version of "This is fine."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Holy poo poo, is that little girl in the picture :chloe:?

I want her to find a good home.

It looks like I'm going to have to retract my "cheering for Bottas this year" statement. Unless there was some technical reason why he didn't finish even close to his teammate, that was an exceedingly poor drive out of him. This will not be the man to inflict another year of shame on PooSham, not the way he drove that race.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Khablam posted:

We need some form of .... Verstappen rule?

Anyway thread we have a bigger problem

If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart breaks in two

Someone put Nando's face on this...

I don't mind Max. In fact, if he can (against all odds) manage to act like a normal, mature individual with the good and the bad - take a look outside this thread, they do exist - then I'll probably start supporting him. I guess in my old age I'm just so turned off by the smug entitlement of some of these young drivers that it becomes the main deciding factor. I know they're (mostly) very good at what they do and have worked very hard to get here. I can even acknowledge that a certain attitude is required to make it to this level of competition. But they need to learn how to stuff it sometimes and act a little humble. And not in the 100% fake way Lewis does it.

TL:DR stop acting like smug little shitcunts and just be cool. gently caress it, Sainz seems pretty laid back, I'm getting on the Chili train.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

I really have to agree with this. From the standpoint of Bottas will show up and play the number two role as consistently as possible, yea they probably made the right choice. From the standpoint of securing they WCC, I think they hosed up. Merc only has HAM to bring home the bacon, which he will do, but Bottas (two races in, granted) does not seem promising. Bottas just does enough, and even last race, that didn't seem sufficient. They should have taken Perez.

I really hope he gets familiar with the car soon, and becomes more of a factor, but it seems right now like he's just not a top tier driver. Perez would have been interesting, especially because he seems like he's developed well, and might be at the stage in his career where he could piss off Hamilton.

learnincurve posted:

The best Rookie talent by a county mile is Ocon, he also knows how to speak to the chuffing camera without making it sound like driving a F1 car is a dull chore you have to go through in order to get engineers more data. Get Ocon, Verstappen, and Sainz in competative cars and watch the quality of racing instantly shoot up.

To be honest, I have taken exactly NO notice of Ocon, but based on this I'll try to give him a look. I still can't distinguish between Magnussen and Ericsson.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Probation for teasing a rivals.com pun and then not delivering?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Alonso going to Indy is a great move. Mclaren really needed to do something for the poor guy, and a fruit bouquet just wasn't going to cut it. He said that the triple crown is a goal of his, and I would love to see him get it. I doubt he'll have a top finish this time around, but at least it's a step in the door. I might actually cry if he has an engine related DNF at Indy. He has lots of time to pick up Le Mans after F1.

It would also be fun to have Jenson back for Monaco. I might question his fitness level, but I know he's still actively competing in triathlons and stuff so it probably wouldn't take much for him to get into car driving shape, would it?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

If Nando wins the Indy on his first try I will completely and fully melt down.

:same:

It would mean he could go right into endurance mode for Le Mans a couple weeks later.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

track day bro! posted:

Why would they bring back a terrible fraud driver like Button, he's poo poo.

:chloe:

I would accept Nico as a substitution. It would be good no matter what happened. And incredible if he crashed out Hamilton while being lapped.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

track day bro! posted:

Vettel is a 4 time WDC and Ferrari are the best team in F1. Jenson Button fluked his way to a WDC almost loosing it to the corpse of Rubens Barrichello, McLaren are poo poo.

LOL, the best disorganized pile of desperation and mediocrity, glued together with "tradition", yes they are.

A lot less support than I would have thought for Alonso. I get if you're an actual contender for WDC, you wouldn't want to miss a race. If you think you can pull a few points for your midfield team (or your young career), you'll try to do the best you can every race. But in Alonso's case, his car is 60% likely going to fall apart before the race is over, and he's got nothing to prove as far as looking for a seat in F1. I think it's a perfect fit for him, I just hope he puts in enough practice to be competitive in the 500.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Human Grand Prix posted:

Name another team that has been as consistently good as they have. I expect I'll be waiting here a long time.

In all seriousness, they are certainly the most prolific. At 933 races entered, They're over 100 more than McLaren, almost 300 more than Williams, and teams like Sauber, Brabham, Lotus, and Tyrell are all in the 400's. Having that much of a presence means they're likely to have a good chunk of successful results in the series. I can see the attraction to a team with that much history, and I can't deny that they really are a big part of F1. I'm sure someone somewhere has modeled an overall "points per season" success list, which would be skewed, but interesting to see who is best in that sense, and in overall history regardless of years participating.

But, current Ferrari has been a bit of a mess, although they're looking very good this year. Every team has up and down swings, it's just fun to point and laugh when they do things like "all Italian engineers" or make comically bad strategy calls. As it is for Red Bull. Or *sniff* McLaren. :saddowns: The more successful a team is, the more likely someone is going to enjoy watching them struggle.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

Brawn GP: 100% WDC and WCC record

I knew there would be at least one team to smash the Scud!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Bottas, what the gently caress? I had to interpret the race based on reading the last 60 pages here on Monday morning, and watching the highlights... but it seemed like he was in great shape, especially with the Hamilton penalty, and then he just gave up?

Khablam posted:

The general european view of Brazilians is, politely, "easily riled up" - see the BBC Top Gear team under legitimate attack because someone misread a number plate.
Massa of course assuaged this image by threatening violence, for a joke about Brazilians getting violent.

I think they were in at least as much, if not more danger from the inbred hilbilly crew who came after them in the backwoods USA episode, and you just know some sheriff had pre-filled out "hunting accident" incident reports ready to go.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

That new NSX isn't bad looking, but it's kind of "generic future car" looking to me. It doesn't really stand out like the classic did. That new Supra isn't great either (I think this is an earlier concept version, I can't remember) but at least it looks like something more unique.

Edit: this actually seems a lot more like it came from a 3rd gen RX-7 than a mkIV Supra.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

They're gonna hire back Ron and have him sort it out.

McLaren-Toyota incoming.

This would be totally :krad:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

To be fair, Ron is the reason why McLaren are so poo poo right now. He took a gamble with Honda and it didnt pay off.

Time to double down on Toyota for the big payout. :woop:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

I give Alonso most of the credit for realizing they can't really tell him no.

Ron would have.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

gently caress, that poor kid. Always sad to see racing injuries, but even worse when they're just kids.

Also Serena is engaged and having Lewis' baby?? THIS is the kind of exciting news I needed to get over that sad story.

CratSock fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 19, 2017

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

Ok, if anyone would actually read the first line of the second link Serena is engaged with some Reddit founder and Lewis was just seen with her at the Mexican grand prix last year.

She's not having Lewis baby, hope that helps.

That's exactly what the mainstream media would have us believe. You're not fooling me, Wirth1000. Hamilton truthers unite! :colbert:

Is it just me, or is Lego Lewis white (yellow is Caucasian in Lego)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

Aren't all Lego people yellow?

Yeah, I was mostly joking, but upon further examination it seems the general Lego sets are mostly all yellow, but licensed sets can have different (pale, dark, whatever) skin figures. Notable rare dark ones were Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu, a guy from Prince of Persia, and some NBA ones. Looks like Finn from the new Star Wars got one too.

• Locked thread