Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Gustav posted:

More importantly I like playing against people who play for stakes. People who care about winning and won't just get bored and leave halfway through the game, or snapkeep a zero-lander and just quit if he doesn't draw land -> land. That sort of thing.

This is the big draw of MODO to me.

Just never, never go into the casual / "tournament practice" rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

But would Phyrexian Unlife ever let you have negative life? Wouldn't you have 0 and poison markers? Is there some way to get negative life and then play an enchantment without triggering a game end?

(I assume so, since this was apparently a viable combo, but I don't know how.)

It makes you take damage as poison counters; however life loss continues to accumulate.

edit: Watch a stream or two of Ad Nauseam to see the interaction.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

Conspiracy theories on the 'net are that they're trying to drive up prices a la what they did (and failed to maintain) with JTMS and City of Traitors but succeeded with other cards. Supposedly their buylist prices are up as well. Wouldn't surprise me if we see an announcement in the near future that they're adding more legacy back into their event schedule

There's also speculation they're buying heavily into reserve list cards with the idea that the new Masters set will drop price on other cards and prop up demand on duals. Makes some sense.

I'd kill for more legacy events though

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Long shot here:

Does anyone have recommendations for a mail forwarding service that I can use for MKM to the USA? Or is anyone in the EU willing to act as a shipping proxy?

One card I want to pick up is about a $200 difference and I can wait on slower shipping. So many services on google seem super sketch so I'd like to get a recommendation or a real person.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tainen posted:

If you want a good challenge this morning try to get through the Amonkhet story finale without laughing

It starts with this

And only gets worse

How the gently caress even does this get published.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Always Lantern

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

So which of these two bad decks should I take to Modern FNM tomorrow?

Deck: Abzan Evolve
or
Deck: UB Mill (still debating a singleton Dismember or Set Adrift maindeck)

Mill for sure

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

Back to sleeve chat for another moment

The ultra pro eclipse are awesome when you first get them - great shuffle feel and the cards sleeve well but after a couple rounds they seem to just get dirty without any reason. A friend bought a pack before a prerelease and gave me half and we both were impressed until about round 4. They're just magnets for dust, dirt, anything floating around in the air. Never had this problem with the old KMC Hyper Mattes.

I am still bummed that they sold the company and the new owners changed how they made the sleeves. Luckily I have about 10 older red packs left. When I run out I'm switching to dragon shields.

Yeah. Same feelings. I'm on dragonshield for now. Wish they had matte fronts though

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Elyv posted:

this burn player playing for t8 at birmingham has 4 shrine of burning rage and 0 eidolon of the great revel

huh

Huh indeed

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hard pass on these. I kinda want the Chandra but not at what they're asking.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

So uh, anyone want to speculate as to why the back side of a DFC needs reminder text that tells you what the name on the front side is?

Because it looks a lot like a token? At least that'd be my guess.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

uninverted posted:

Moon Depths is going to be a deck now, isn't it?

Gosh I hope so

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Rinkles posted:

When's the panic crash coming?

Dunno; but I moved all my legacy MTGO decks immediately after Area was unveiled. gently caress that risk.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Channel fireball damaged is one of the best kept secrets around. They even have to offload them on tcgplayer a lot of the time.

I routinely load up the channel fireball store on tcgplayer and sort by damaged. I have bought 100's of damaged cards at this point. Not a single one was even close to unplayable.

Are CFB Damaged generally / always sleeve playable? I couldn't care less what it looks like if it's going to be playable..

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gonna need to see some proof for Legacy

Hazoret sees play in Dragon Stompy. Not sure it's good, but sees play for sure

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I got 2nd place in 2 PPTQ's with Affinity with Hazoret. It's INSANE. It's going to be standard issue soon.

I need to see this in action

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I was going to order one but then

MTGO team doing web work for Hasbro confirmed

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

[quote="“Dr. Red Ranger”" post="“476650004”"]
Counters don’t cancel each other and disappear, if that’s what you mean. The stats on the monster will even out but the counters have to stay because it may matter for card interactions.

So for your example, if it’s a 0/0 creature whose stats come from those 6 + counters, it starts at 6/6, then loses one because it was dealt damage, so now it’s a 5/5. Then, if it gets 3 -1 counters out on it, he becomes 2/2. 5 + counters and 3 - counters are sitting on him. Then if he hits 0 toughness for some reason (took damage twice, or something removed +1 counters) then it dies.
[/quote]

This might be my favorite post ever

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

Sorceries can only be played in a main phase. Do it either before or after combat, but not during.

And only with the stack empty (e.g. Not in response to a spell)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

I am a little shocked at how many people don't like these lands. They are loving amazing.

They are pretty awesome but I cant get behind the card name boxes at the top. They just feel jarring to me.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I would much rather play "Magic with crazy cards that don't work under regular rules and also are funny" than "Magic with stupid joke cards that aren't very fun to play *cough*Gotcha*cough*". So I'm stoked as heck for Unstable.

Same. This set looks fun as gently caress

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

this set is basically future sight 2 and it owns

Yeah; I'm more pumped for Unstable than just about any other printing in the last ... many years.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

little munchkin posted:

goddamn prices are totally cratering from IMA. this is cool and good imo

Agreed. I hope it continues to crater. Crash and burn overpriced prices.

I sold my Vials at $40 some time ago; but if I can pick them up at $20 each at some point, I'll probably grab a playset for whenever I get a hankerin to play D&T

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

Has anyone ever used paypal to send an actual gift? I'm pretty sure that every time it's actually a "gift" where the receiving party wants to dodge their obligations. They should just remove the option.

We use it at work a lot when paying people back for lunch. But that's about it

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

I took it down. Turns out humans had issues against bridge after heavy discard hands.

600$ , guess I get all the iconic masters cards I wanted for Christmas.

Awesome! Mind sharing your list? Are you on Whir or a more traditional build?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

While it might end up a total bust, if you already own chalices and want to play this mono blue as fortold deck this might be the last night to get them for this cheap. As fortold is mythic and visions is as cheap as it’s ever been in a while. I bet to see this on camera tomorrow.

Chalice? I've only seen CalebD streaming a test version with chalice but no posted decks. Am I missing something?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I just like to open one pack of every set that comes up, be it in a draft or as a lotto ticket, just to look and say "oh that's what's going on these days".

I've had pretty good luck with Masters sets (Mox Opal in my one MM15 pack, Damnation Goblin Guide in my one MM17 draft, Vial in my one IMA pack) and poo poo luck with everything else, which I guess is better than the other way around.

Yeah. I buy a pack every time I go to fnm as a way to support the store (their singles are lacking so I buy online mostly). I know it's a waste of cash but it's a nice way to be sure they're not paying processing fees on my $5 entry fee when I charge it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

These team events make me so happy to have a place to play legacy and I get to do it with friends that can't justify buying into the format.

A+++

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

Ban lantern control out of modern immediately

This deck is aggressively unfun

No. I just got done foiling it :unsmith:

Don't ban it. it's the best but I am biased

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

One less FoW for my opponents to be able to cast.

Edit: on another note I'm trying to figure out what to add to the collection next in modern. I think it might be goblin guides and another arid mesa to make burn. Right now my modern decks are this.

Grixis Deaths Shadow (can be jund or 5 color)
Jund
Soul Sisters (mono and norin and martyr proc)
Eldrazi Tron
Bant Eldrazi
Vizier Knightfall
Elves
Abzan Company
RW Prison Moon
8 Rack

The stuff I'm missing for the rest of the tier 1 decks are things in not interested in buying right now. Vials, another Karn, more mox opals, etc.

I'm not sure what to move into next. Any suggestions?

I have a similar selection of decks and I started moving into foiling my favorites rather than trying to get something new. Pretty much always at least one of those decks will be competitive.

So I moved into foiling Jeskai and Lantern and that's been a fun project

Edit: but if you need something, Jeskai and Lantern and good options

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 24, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I play lantern and the new version is so much better.

Storm isn't too bad. Tron is nearly impossible but past that I don't mind most matchups.

We have tutorable EE, witchbane orb, grafdiggers cage, and pithing needle mainboard. It's exceptionally good.

Biggest issues are:
- Unexpected early chalice
- blood moon if it strands multiple Whirs in hand
- World Breaker and Karn

Chalice isn't the end due to the ability to Whir EE on 0. But paired with pressure it can be ugly.

I rarely feel in a bad spot unless I'm against Tron.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Living end is 34 bucks an climbing? Guess what card I am selling in a loving hurry.

The leaf deck is mediocre at best, don't buy into this hype.

Doing the same. The deck is fun, mind you, but I dont forsee it ever ending up competitively viable

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Why in the world is it so hard to find foil Izzet Staticasters?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

As a Lands player, this card scares me a little bit. I doubt it'll see the extensive play Blood Moon does because it's not great against most decks. But man; there's going to be that ONE GUY that doesnt want to lose to Lands that packs a playset and ruins my day

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

DangerDongs posted:

So the red Snapcaster is going to be really good right?

I think it has a place in 5c Humans

The fail case of a 2/1 First Strike is decent. Incidental GY hate, Vial to flash it, and the ability to cast spells off Caverns gives the deck additional reach that it doesn't have now

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yeah gently caress that guy. His attempts to advocate for his own actions just make me feel like he's a shittier dude than I already thought

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

It fits 6+ deckboxes. Their website has a ton of photos and even size compatibility with many popular deckboxes.

I'll agree with PirateLab cases. I have the small and big ones; for events / collection purposes respectively and it's awesome to keep my poo poo contained and orderly.

Works GREAT with the Boulder deckboxes

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

How many boulders fit in the standard layout with the dumb side slot?

The small one fits six perfectly. No clue on the big one as I use it with longer boxes for commons/uncommons.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Legacy is incredibly fun

Agreed. It's by FAR my favorite format and these Team events have resulted in me getting to play it even more lately. Hopefully they keep up with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Anyone dealt with selling/trading to TCGplayer for credit? How bad am I gonna get rooked if I trade in some random standard rares to TCGplayer for credit to finish my stupid stompy gruulasaur deck? The buylist prices are a lot less insulting than my friendly local magic shop for sure. If they are bad, is there a better option?

I've done it a few times. It's pretty much fine, but theyre really strict about shipping times; when you submit you have like 3-4 business days to have it DELIVERED to them.

So long as youre good there; its been mostly reasonable. I did have some Mishra's Baubles sent back to me right when they announced the IMA reprint (I'd mailed them beforehand), which seemed a bit irritating, but all-in-all it's been good.