Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It seems like a bunch of the same questions keep getting brought up in the backpacking megathread, so I thought I'd put together a quick OP on gear. If you've got questions, have recommendations, or just want to brag about that sweet new bivy you just bought, post it here! I'll update the OP with any good insights as we go.

The goal here is to provide some decent point of reference for people to make their own informed decisions. This OP is split into sections, so feel free to skip around, or post to ask any questions! Between everyone, there's a lot of great knowledge here.

:siren:The basics::siren:

• Ignore that 10 basics list, it kinda sucks.

• Before doing any big trips, be sure to test your gear and figure out where the shortcomings are for your comfort, and just how much of what you packed isn’t necessary.

• Don't drink water directly from the stream--treat it first. Giardia can cause dehydration from diarrhea, neither of which are pleasant, you don’t want to be the person that poo poo themselves to death. My goto filter for the last two years is the BeFree, but be aware of your area and water restrictions. Eg Arsenic and heavy metals mine runoff in parts near me render the water untreatable by portable filters.

• Gear is always some combination of light, cheap, and/or effective. Pick two.

• How you pack is very important for how heavy it actually feels:

Rime posted:

Heavy at the bottom is bad mojo, here's a good illustration of optimal packing:

• Drink plenty of water! Dehydration sneaks up on you fast. You'll feel better throughout the day if you drink a quart of water when you wake up.

• If you don't like the taste of water, True Lime is awesome stuff, it's cold crystallized lime wedges in a small packet and it's just like having a wedge of lime in there.

• Cotton kills: it absorbs water (which is why towels are made out of it), and will make you freeze, or give you blisters as it holds water against your skin, and make your life generally miserable. Especially socks. Hell no to cotton socks. Same as jeans. It's all cotton. Disclaimer being region specific, such as deserts.

• You want water wicking, not water absorbing materials. Stuff like artificial fiber (polypropylene, nylon, spandex, etc), or wool. Wool is better at absorbing odors and delaying bacterial odor buildup. Articial fiber works great but by howdy does it (and you) smell after a few days outdoors.

• Sometimes the best time to go hiking is in the rain, don't let inclement weather predictions disrupt your plans--forecasters are usually off anyways, especially if you're visiting a mountainous area.

• The colder it is outside, the more likely it is you'll have to pee in the middle of the night. Don't hold it in and suffer, just do it, your body is trying to expel the water because it takes a lot of energy to heat up. Yeah it sucks when it's four degrees out, but you'll feel a lot better when you do.

:siren:Bugs and Ticks :siren:
  • Morbus posted:

Permethrin works for mosquitoes, or really almost any insect. It's a straight up neurotoxin rather than an irritant like DEET or picardin, so it won't necessarily have a repellent effect but will prevent biting by making insects spaz out and die on contact. Its main advantages, aside from its lethality, are that it's easy to apply all over clothing or gear in a persistent way that has no odor or residue. Treating clothing or other gear in this way with DEET or picardin is much less practical, and requires frequent re-application due to the volatility of those chemicals. Permethrin and DEET/picardin complement each other, so both are usually used as part of the best anti-insect strategies.

OSU_Matthew posted:

For ticks, you only get Lyme disease after they start regurgitating into your bloodstream, about 24 hours after latching. So, if you inspect yourself thoroughly after hiking, you can pry them off with a tick key and not suffer any harm.

They don't jump, you have to brush up against a plant to catch one. Also be sure to inspect places like your waist band, inside your knees, etc. Ticks love those spots. Also watch out for love star ticks, they carry Alphagam disease, which is basically an allergy to red meat

:siren:Tents & Shelter:siren:

• FogHelmut posted:

Someone can tell me I'm wrong about everything or add to this:

Tent Brands:

Ozark Trail - very inexpensive, cheaply made, do not expect it to last, would avoid wet weather, otherwise functional
    Coleman - standard car camping gear, been around forever, pretty functional, generally reliable
    Kelty/Alps Mountaineering/Eureka - priced above Coleman, better materials
    REI - comparable to some premium gear at a good price
    MSR/Mountain Hardware/North Face/Big Agnes/etc - premium tents, premium price

Note: Tent sizes are deceiving. They do not count any extra space for gear in their sizing. A two-person tent fits two people side by side sleeping opposite head to toe. A four or six person tent follows the same sardine-packing rules. Get a larger tent if you are keeping gear or dogs inside the tent. Vestibules do not count towards person-space. They are useful for storing gear out of the rain but also out of the tent interior. There is typically not a floor in the vestibule.

Backpacking Tents:

Regular tents:
    Cheap - cheap, heavy, takes up a lot of space
    Mid-price (this is actually a big range that I don't know how to break up) - depends on brand, lighter weight and still sturdy, better packability
    Expensive - premium space materials, ultra lightweight, loses some durability

Ultralight tents: minimal design, often uses one or two trekking poles as the tent support

Hammock: it's a hammock. May or may not include a rainfly or be a self contained structure. You should have trees around to hang it from.

Tarp: ultra light, requires skills

Note: Watch out for listed weights as it can become hard to compare as some of the lighter ones do not come with tie-downs or footprints.

Car Camping/Overlanding:

Ground tent:
    See brands above. Use whatever tent you like that fits you and your gear/group. No need to worry about weight or size, depending on your car space.

Roof Top Tent
    Pros:
    - off the ground
    - built-in mattress
    - camp anywhere you park
    - looks cool

Cons:
    - off the ground is in the wind
    - off the ground makes it hard to get out at night to pee
    - off the ground isn't great for getting your dog in and out
    - can't drive anywhere until you pack up the tent
    - very expensive

Swag:
    This is a one person heavy canvas bivy style tent with its own built-in foam mattress. They're heavy and big when packed. Rare in the US, popular in Australia. Feels like sleeping in a coffin.

Pop-up trailer:
    A small trailer that unfolds into a camper. Canvas walls, usually has a kitchen and seating.

Overland Trailer:
    A basic trailer with big tires to hold your gear and probably has a rooftop tent on it.

Teardrop Trailer:
    Small, lightweight, enough room to sleep, built in exterior kitchen.

Travel Trailer:
    Many sizes, many prices, often comes with bathroom and kitchen, may be had with air conditioning and heating.

Truck with bed cap:
    Protected, not as roomy as a van, but your truck may have other uses.

Van:
    Driveable. Room for murals on the side.

Truck Camper:
    Sits in the bed of your truck. Generally need a larger truck to carry these.

Camper/RV:
    Self contained home on wheels. Ranges from the size of an ambulance to the size of a bus. Some expand to palatial sizes.

• khysanth posted:

The Duplex is the darling of 2017 but you pay a huge premium for the Zpacks brand and for the fabric (DCF/Cuben). Unfortunately there aren't a ton of comparable 2P, single-walled, trekking pole supported shelters. The Duplex will set you back $600 before tax and ultimately weighs in around 23-25oz after you factor in guylines and stakes.

The best alternative (and the one I would likely get) is the Gossamer Gear The Two. The bathtub floor is a 10D silnylon and the tarp is a 7D. This tent (and The One) have survived many people's thru-hikes without durability issues. $289 and 29-31oz total. The deep bathtub and the angle of the walls at the head/foot mean you'd probably find it comfortable at 6'4".

If you like to calculate it, it's about $30/oz saved to opt for the Duplex... on the really high end for most people.

Another option I would consider is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer. On sale until 12/31 for $260 (reg. $325). It's a little heavier than the others at 41oz, but is generally regarded as one of the roomiest shelters for 2P and a palace for one tall hiker.

One more option is the TarpTent MoTrail. This is a front-entry shelter however, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Costs $259 and weighs in at 34oz. You'd have plenty of room with the vertical end walls.

Personally I'm 6'3" and went with the SMD Haven Tarp and NetTent combo. I prefer the modularity and breathability of a double-walled shelter. I can just bring the tarp or the net depending on weather and bug pressure. The tarp alone comes in around 19oz, and the net 15oz. I feel like it is a good fit for me at 6'3". On my sleeping pad, when I lie down or sit up, the tips of my hair BARELY brush the net, which means I still have another ~4-6" of clearance to the tarp. Plenty of room for me and my wife, and a TON of room if I'm solo. Here are some pics of it set up.

If you can get away with a 1P shelter and a hammock if your GF ever joins, I'd look at the other single-walled 1P shelters from these same manufacturers:

Gossamer Gear The One (2x trekking pole supported, 21oz, $299)
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (1x trekking pole supported, 24oz, $180 til 12/31)
    TarpTent ProTrail (2x trekking pole supported, front entry, 26oz, $225)

I don't consider the Zpacks Hexamid Solo (even the plus version) because I know several 6'3"+ hikers who say it is too cramped, your head will brush against the (potentially wet with condensation) tarp, it could get on your sleeping bag, etc.

• How to avoid your or your friends tripping over your guylines in the dark:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I’ll do you one better, Lawson GloWire. Lights up like a Christmas tree when the light hits it.

https://www.lawsonequipment.com/products/reflective-glowire

:siren:Insulation:siren:
  • If you're spending the night outdoors, you need insulation from not only the air, but also the ground because it acts like a giant heatsink and sucks all the heat out of your body. Yes, even in the summer you'll want some sort of pad or insulation from the ground.

• As far as the air goes, you need a quilt or mummy bag at the very least if you're going to be spending time outdoors. Don't buy anything that is flannel or rectangular, those are old and garbage. Thankfully those kinds of bags are harder and harder to even find anymore, they’re no longer ubiquitous.

• When buying a mummy bag, look for one with draft tubes along the zipper and hood to block cold air from coming in there. Also remember most temperature ratings just suck, because they're measuring a copper pipe's heat loss in a lab, not real world windy lovely conditions.

• Also pay attention to how the bag is made--baffles where it's stitched together create cold spots with zero insulation--avoid that! Unless it has compartment baffles with fabric in between so it's not pinched together--that's great.

• There are two basic types of sleeping bags to choose from, down and synthetic. Both have advantages. Down is light and super compressible, but really quite pricey and can lose loft (therefore insulation) when it gets wet. Synthetic bags are generally heavier, don't compress as well, but they're usually cheaper and will still keep you relatively warm and wick water if wet.

:frogsiren: When storing your sleeping bag in between trips, don't keep it compressed! Put it in a big loose mesh laundry bag in between trips to let it air out, and prevent the insulation from getting crunched up and compressed and degrading over time :frogsiren:

• A popular option in the lightweight and hammock community are quilts! Basically the idea is that you only need fluffy top insulation, because anything underneath you is getting compressed and doesn't offer much in the way of performance. Enlightened equipment and hammock gear are two of my favorite cottage quilt makers. Hammock Gear makes quilts right in Columbus, and they have an econ line of quilts that use a more affordable but similar fabric to shave something like a hundred bucks off the price tag

:siren:Footwear and Layering:siren:
    Boots vs. Trailrunners

• The basic idea is that boots offer better ankle support for heavier packs and uncertain terrain, and trail runners are lighter on your feet and quicker to dry out. There's a school of thought that one pound on your foot = five pounds on your back, so the lighter the shoe the better. I personally like the ankle support of my boots when I've got >30lbs on my back, but I never hit that anymore unless I need to carry more than a gallon of water (eg while in the Grand Canyon). There's also another school of thought though that locking in your ankles transfers the twisting to your knee.

I really like leather boots because they're a natural wonder material. Warm in the winter, temperature regulating in the summer, it's just a great material. My favorite boots ever were Lowa Banffs, which the company even shipped back to Germany and resoled for me after the foam midlayer delaminated after 10 years.

Anymore I’ve switched to trail runners. Find something you like to fit your style. One guy I hike with even uses sandals.

Verman posted:

From the light end of the spectrum to the heavy. The size of your body and your gear load will probably make a difference as well. I'm only 160lbs and have backpacked with a 50lb pack in trail runners with ease but other people only backpack in trail runners if they carry light loads. It all depends on you and it takes some experience to figure out what works best for you. Personally I feel like the less weight on your feet is more noticeable than less weight in your pack.

Trail runners
    Saucony Peregrine (whatever model they are up to now) these are one of the most popular I see on the trails
    Brook Cascadia
    Merell Agility Peak flex (I currently wear the older model All out Peak)
    Solomon XA pro's seem to be pretty popular as well as the speed cross
    I almost went with la sportivas but the soles didn't seem very grippy

Light duty boots
    Merrell Moab Mids are crazy popular, probably one of the boots I see most on the trails
    Salomon X ultra/quest boots are also really popular, the 2nd most popular on the trails
    keen targhee

Backpacking boots
    Lowa renegade
    Asolo fugitive
    Salewa Alp/mountain trainers

There's obviously a ton more but it sort of depends on your feet. Certain brands just don't fit certain feet so its worth going into a place with a knowledgable staff and try stuff on. I really enjoy trail runners for most day hikes and warm weather backpacking. I feel lighter, my hips are less sore, and they dry out much faster if they do get wet. They also breathe 10x more than any boots I ever had. The only time I wear boots is if its going to be insanely rough rocky terrain, or if I'm going to be in snow/cold for an extended amount of time.

I would be careful with "minimalist" shoes as a lot of them have varying degrees of drop which can take some time to get used to and you will likely have to change your stride to accommodate not walking on your heels. I've heard of people having knee pain and discomfort from unknowingly buying minimalist shoes that were essentially barefoot shoes with no heel padding.
    Feet slipping around in your shoes? Try this one weird trick!

Internet Wizard posted:

Get a cheap foam sleep pad and cut off a strip and put it between the tongues of your boot and the laces

• Dress in layers so you can strip down/add layers to regulate your temperature to the environment around you. You need a base water wicking layer, a thermal layer (eg fleece jacket), and an outer shell (like windbreaker or rain jacket)

• Side note on rainjackets and Goretex, when it rains you will get wet. Even with a rain jacket, you'll still be sweating away inside there soaking your body from perspiration. Yes, goretex is supposed to be breathable... but I've had limited luck with that and honestly my philosophy is that you're gonna get wet, so you may as well get wet and just dress to dry out quickly afterwards. Pit zips only work for climbing, because your arms are reaching up and acting as baffles. They help a little, but not much with backpacking or most other stuff in my experience.

:siren:Water Treatment:siren:
  • Chemical treatment - Stuff like aqua mira kills all micro-organisms. Calcium hypochloride is what most municipal water departments in the US use to treat their water, so you can feel good about using it. I carry a few individually sealed tablets in my first aid kit just in case my water filter clogs up again.
    Pumps- The new MSR Guardian pump is crazy expensive, but claims to filter down to something like .01 microns, which would actually filter viruses, and it's supposed to backflush itself with every pump. Kinda cool!
  • Iodine tablets are bad for you, it concentrates in your liver and causes health problems later in life if used over a long period of time. A bunch of park rangers got sick because they used to use it in the seventies, which is why it's not used anymore.
  • Iodine Crystals - Polar Pure sells a kit which is really interesting, it's effectively reliable unlimited water treatment. Basically you treat a little bit of water in a container with the crystals, then add that treated water to a bottle to treat the water in there. The crystals then recharge another ounce of water which is ready to treat another liter after 20ish minutes (temperature depending). Works great, doesn't have much of a chemical taste, and doesn't fail.
  • Sawyer squeeze- cheap squeazable and light hollow tube filter membrane. This, like a bunch of other filters these days, use dialysis filters. Doesn't do viruses, but that's usually not an issue in North America. Can be a bit of work squeezing the bags though, and don't forget to backflush it after every use!
  • BeFree - Same filter as the Sawyer, but it's completely immersed so it has more surface are so it's significantly faster and easier to clean. It's what I use nowadays.

meselfs posted:

I have one of these and think highly of it. Backflushing isn't enough though - they recommend nuking it with bleach now and then. The idea is that it'll destroy all the organic matter stuck in there, but it's hard to find fragrance free bleach, and even if you do it's gunna be stinky unless you really put effort into clearing it out.

What I recommend is buying some 35% hydrogen peroxide off Amazon (go ahead and get food grade), mixing it 1:2 with boiling water (CAREFUL), and squeezing that through. You'll be surprised how easy your next squeeze will be. It will leave no residue, flush with a bit of normal water and it's like new.

• Gravity Filters - Fast and do a large volume, a bit heavier. Great for groups.

• Important note about hollow tune membrane filters like Sawyer and Befree—if they sit for awhile and dry out at home, be sure to soak them overnight before your next trip. The pores close up when they dry out, and it takes awhile for them to rehydrate. I’ve been unable to filter water during a trip because my filter had completely dried out over winter, and I thought the thing was clogged when it just needed to slowly rehydrate the membrane.

:siren:Materials:siren:
    I went over this briefly before, but it stands to mention again:

• Cotton -- You should not be wearing anything cotton. Jeans, tube socks, you name it. Cotton absorbs water, so it causes you to freeze when it's cold and blister when it's warm. You can't win, just don't try it.
  • Down -- Light, compressible, but expensive and doesn't work hardly at all when it's wet. Don't let your down bag get wet. Also doesn't wick water very well, eg when used in mid layer winter jackets.
  • Synthetic -- Wicks water exceptionally well, not as compressible as down, stinks after a few days. Includes Nylon, polypropylene, spandex, etc. Nylon stretches, poly type materials do not. You see ripstop nylon used in everything from packs to pants, to urethane or silicone coated nylon (silnylon) in tents, tarps, hammock. Parachute nylon is used in hammocks and other stuff. If you're looking for artificial fiber clothes on the cheap, try Academy.com for hiking pants, or goodwill for performance golf polos, or gym shorts are usually some flavor of eleven herbs and artificial fiber blends
  • Wool -- Doesn't stink like synthetic fibers do, keeps you warm even when wet, wicks water decently well but not as well as artificial fiber stuff. Merino is a breed of sheep in New Zealand/Australia, and generally has a very fine wool. Great for socks and t-shirts. Also very expensive, try checking eBay for deals on used gear.

• Darn tough socks are also pretty great, just thought they deserve a special mention. They have a real lifetime warranty, I've literally seen people pick them out of the trash and get brand new ones back

• Goretex and other "breathable" waterproof membranes essentially have outer weaves too tight to allow water in but do theoretically allow water out. Might as well get it since there's nothing better I'm aware of, but I haven't had much luck with the breath-ability promise. Silicone coated and urethane coated gear is not breathable.

• Cuben Fiber - Crazy light, crazy expensive.
    It's basically a laminated dyneema material, so it has a strong waterproof structure even with the loose weave, which also means it can be effectively repaired with tape. Check out Zpacks for great dyneema/CF packs and stuff

:siren:Hammocks:siren:
    My favorite topic by far! I personally use a Warbonnet Blackbird with Hammock Gear cuben tarp and quilts. Easy to set up and tear down, and ridiculously comfy to sleep in. https://tgo

• The key with hammocks is that you lay completely flat by laying at a slight diagonal. Also, it's virtually impossible to fall out of a gathered end hammocks--the only reason some hammocks are unstable are the spreader bars at the end which only exist because someone a hundred years ago couldn't figure out how to draw hammocks, and then some other dude tried making them by looking at this idiot's drawing and here we are a hundred years later with terrible misinformation and misunderstanding of hammocks.

• With a hammock, you need suspension, a tarp, optionally a bugnet or hammock sock in the winter, an underquilt or pad for bottom insulation, and a top quilt or sleeping bag for top insulation. That's it! I really love 12' of poly webbing (because polyester/polypropylene stuff doesn't stretch out like nylon does) and cinch buckles for quick easy adjustable suspension.

• Also make sure you hang your hammock at ~30* angle, for maximum comfort.

:siren:First Aid:siren:

bringer posted:

First aid kit chat: Hypothermia is a real killer. In addition to a basic day kit like in the OP, I carry a cheap survival bivvy bag (one of those plastic/Mylar ones), a waterproof/goretex shell, and a fleece/down jacket everywhere.

You can't rely on a cell signal in the mountains around here. If you're out on a simple 3-4 hour loop and someone goes down near the halfway point with a mobility injury it might be another 4 hours before they can be evacuated -- able bodied person will need 2 hours to get to the trailhead where they can hopefully place a call, then another hour or two for rescue if they decide you rate a helicopter. Longer than that if you get lost or they need to walk you out.

I also keep an extra Bic lighter and a couple waxed cotton balls in a ziplock in my first aid kit for that same wait-for-rescue scenario.

If you wear contacts you really should have a couple spare disposables in your kit as well, and a glasses repair kit if you wear those. Busting a pair of glasses and not being able to repair them is a good way to find out how useful the rest of your first aid kit is after you blunder into easily avoidable hazards.

ASSTASTIC posted:

One piece of equipment that always goes into every single med kit I have is a roll of athletic tape. Get GOOD tape (johnson&johnson). If you get a nice gash out on the trail and have bullshit tape in your kit, it won't stick to poo poo if you sweat. I was hiking one time and hit a section of jagged rocks. Tripped on one of the rocks and got a nice gas on my shin. Wasn't horrible enough that I needed stitches, but wasn't fun either. No way a bandaid would be able to close up the wound, but I did have a roll of tape.

Made a makeshift absorbent pad (with the tape) and taped up my shin. Only issue I had after that was the lack of hair from removing the tape afterwards. Athletic tape is great because it not only sticks well to skin, and sweaty skin, but to itself extremely well.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Unless she's taking a backcountry first responder course, realistically there's not a whole lot you can do first aid wise. I bring liquid bandage, alcohol wipe or two and a little bit of gauze for bleeding, ibuprofen for anti inflammation and pain, moleskin patch for blisters, bendryl for allergic reactions, zinc oxide paste for irritation and chafing, a tick key, clippers, tweezers, and some ace wrap for sprains and junk. That's way over prepared in my book.
    Someone who has recently taken a wilderness first aid course feel free to point out that I'm an idiot!

Reviewed: July 2022

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
:siren:Cookwear/Stoves:siren:
    If you want to save weight or are just getting started, you don’t really need a stove. Between clif bars, jerky, pb&j, fruit, pepperoni n cheese bagels, etc, you can eat really well without a stove. I bring a canister stove because I love morning cup o joe, and it’s a treat to have a hot meal at night.

Stoves by type:
  • White Gas - heavier, but the stoves work really well in cold weather

• Canister
    What most people probably use. MSR Pocket Rocket is the gold standard. I personally user an Olicamp Ion that I love, especially with the Olicamp XTS
    pot which has heat absorber fins, similar to the jetboil.

• Alcohol

CopperHound posted:

Several months later I decided to do something about not having a pot stand for my alcohol stove:

And it fits in the pot:

I used this tool to draw the cone template for me: http://zenstoves.net/PotStands-Conical.htm#ConeTemplates

• Fuels:
    Alcohol Fuels:

meselfs posted:

Both are toxic, but red HEET is isopropanol, a heavier alcohol which will burn with soot.

Don't buy either, buy Klean Strip Green alcohol because it has the highest concentration of ethanol, which is the perfect balance of energy dense and being almost soot-free. Or Everclear if you want your fuel to be multipurpose.

I've tried a couple stoves, including the pricier ones, and still love my Trangia best. Storing fuel in it makes it so easy I often take it on day hikes just to make tea.

Ephphatha posted:

Might as well expand a bit on fuels for alcohol stoves. Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? gives a decent rundown of the different types of fuels and the recommendations are solid, but it's good to be aware of the regional variations when it comes to sourcing your fuels.

Edit: I should add that alcohol stoves are popular because they're small and cheap, Tetkoba's Alcohol Stove Addict is a great channel if you're looking at making your own alcohol stove.

• Cooking over a campfire:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Tons of people don't bring a stove! Just pick food you don't need to heat up. A lot of dehydrated meals will re-hydrate just fine cold, or pack granola bars, jerky, trail mix, peanut butter, tortillas, etc. Heating water over the fire is a tremendous pain in the rear end and I guarantee will not turn out well. One, building a fire takes a lot of time and energy. Two, a cooking fire needs to be hot coals, which takes hours to build up to. Orange flames make for a terrible cooking fire, it's not very hot at all. Lastly, how are you going to suspend your pot over the flames to boil the water? And now your pot is going to get blackened and nasty from the fire. Hot Dogs and smores are good over the fire though, but I wouldn't get too ambitious otherwise.

• Solid fuels - Esbit tablets are popular lightweight options. They also make great firestarters and are pretty cheap, but don't smell great and leave a residue on your pot. They also don't boil very fast like a canister stove. But they're super cheap, super light, and super reliable.

• FogHelmut posted:

I'm in the car camping headspace because I'm going next weekend.

Cast Iron:

Cast iron pans and Dutch ovens are sturdy and reliable. You can throw them straight in the fire on the coals or over a burner with them. They are super heavy and should normally be used for car camping.

Ozark Trail - these are inexpensive and made in China. Cast iron is basically just cast iron so they cook just as well as anything else. HOWEVER, the seasoning that comes on the pans is garbage. It's about as rough as 40 grit sandpaper, and often flakes. They are thinner than other brands, but not prohibitively so, and this may be an advantage if you're concerned about weight. The pans themselves have short handles and may get hot quickly and this may also make them more difficult to cook with. If you are willing to put in the effort of stripping, sanding, and reseasoning them, you cannot beat the value.

Lodge - this is the standard brand that everyone has. Made in USA. You can cook in them right out of the box without need to reseason. They are thick heavy and sturdy and well-made. These are going to cost you about 2-3x as much as Ozark Trail. Only the extremely anal people will need to modify these to make them smoother.

Bespoke small batch farm to table modern cast iron - I guess there's a bunch of people who dress like 1930s train conductors and call themselves artisans and live in Brooklyn and make cast iron pans like the vintage ones but they cost hundreds of dollars each.

Vintage cast iron - Before the 1950s, cast iron was the standard cookware. There were many major brands in the United States selling cast iron pans. The manufacturing process was different and took several days to complete, vs around 90 minutes as it is today. These came unseasoned and it was expected that you would season them at home. They came with a smooth as glass finish, allowing you to do all of the things you do with your non-stick pants today. These are still around and can be found at garage sales, auctions, flea markets and second hand stores for reasonable prices. Brands include Griswold, Wagner, Lodge, etc.

Cleaning - this is a contentious topic because it became popular a little while ago to tell people not to use soap in their cast iron pans. Sorry to tell you, your grandmother used soap in her cast iron. It did not ruin the seasoning. In fact, the seasoning is just a layer of polymerized oils that protect the iron and keep things from sticking to it. It is not a layer of rancid oil and old food that gives flavor to your new food, or at least I hope it shouldn't be. If your seasoning job is worth half a poo poo, you can use some soap and a rag or sponge to wash out your pan without ruining it. Just don't let it soak for hours in Dawn or something like that. Dry quickly after a washing and don't let water sit on it.

If you still believe the hype and are paranoid about soap, you can scrub out your pan with kosher salt, a stainless steel brillo, or one of those silly chainmail wash cloths.

:siren: Food! :siren:
    2020 Dehydrated food chat starting here:

MoldyFrog posted:

In terms of what to pack and eat anymore thanks to America's laziness there are tons of cheap "instant" meals open to you if don't mind putting it all together yourself. On the better side so to speak there's places like backpackingpantry and others that have put together quick to make solid meals.

If you are a diy fan then aim for at least 100 calories an ounce. Then you can budget about 1.5lbs a day for food. That gives you enough to be at a small deficit. I shoot for 3000+ calories myself a day, about 2lbs, as to minimize weight loss on a longer trip.

For good quick options you got any of the knoor brand side dishes. Things like flavored mashed potatoes, rice and broccoli, chicken and rice. There's instant macaroni, look for the stuff with the tiny noodles. They'll cook faster and more completely than regular sized mac noodles. Bear creek soups are pretty good and pack some good calories.

If any local stores have a good bulk section you can get instant refried beans, quick cooking oatmeals, hummus powder you reconstitute and toss onto some wraps you can bring. Hard cheeses and most sausages will keep a few days. There's always the ever popular snicker bars and pop tarts for calorie boosts. Bring a few ounces of oil in a bottle. A lot of extra calories an ounce there and most foods will easily take the oil.

For a wider variety of options you can get into dehydrated "survival" foods at Wal-Mart. Then you get into dehydrated eggs and fruits. Instant milk and such as well. Dehydrated cheese and freeze dried meats can be added to almost anything to bulk them up and add calories.

The freezer bag cooking website has a bunch of recipes. There's really a lot you can do anymore. Personally I'm a fan of soups. Harder to scorch a soup and the extra water is generally always welcome. Makes clean up easier too. I generally try to build 600 calorie blocks. One each for breakfast, lunch and dinner and than two snack blocks.

At the end of day you're going to build around rice, beans or a pasta. Grab some noodles and cheese sauce and you got mac and cheese. You can add chicken or bacon easily to change it up. Switch the noodles to a thin noodle and swap the sauce for a dehydrated white sauce and you have fettuccini. Meat additions are the same. Swap out the white sauce for powdered tomatoes and spices and you got spaghetti. Toss the noodles into a bunch of water and make chicken noodle soup.

Only difference between home cooking amd outdoors is that outdoors you're going to end up most likely with one main dish. You're probably not going to make food A and then make a food B side dish. It will be a big helping of something and maybe some left over snack foods.

meselfs posted:

YES TO MAKING YOUR OWN! If I had the time and energy I'd make my own thread on this. I recommend to anyone: buy a cheap (or not) dehydrator and make your own jerky. It's so easy and soooo good.

Another idea is a bit obscure: make sujuk, a weird kind of half-dried sausage, somewhere between "normal" cured charcuterie and jerky. I haven't tried making it yet but will soon. It's dense, compact, moist enough, and is really satisfying to slice with a knife.

You can do wacky dried fruits too on the cheap. My daughter and I are real fond of kiwi chips, which I've never seen for sale.

When I just started backpacking I figured along with all the other sacrifices one makes to be in the glorious outdoors, awesome food can be one. I'm consistently wrong. I take the most comforting lightweight food possible with me, and also copious tea with my stainless steel double wall bottle.

Inspiring resource: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go
  • Check out packit gourmet for great dehydrated meals!
  • If you like to make your own, I like Pad Thai, which is just dehydrated chicken, rice noodles, pb2 peanut butter concentrate, Knorr dehydrated veggies, and sriracha to flavor after cooking the rest rehydrate in boiled water for 7 minutes

• Also, Tasty Bites Madras Lentils are loving awesome, especially with a pouch of chicken, corn, quinoa, and hawaiian rolls. Fried onions on the top for extra flavor!

:siren: Random Stuff! :siren:
  • Who else desperately wants an Oru folding kayak?
    (Update — Bought one a few years ago, they’re pretty great, but stupid expensive. Held up great for almost 4 years, then got too fat and wanted a more capable boat so I sold the ORU for close to what I purchased it for and bought a Jackson Tupelo. Roanoke River trail is incredible if you like kayak camping)
  • There's a whole kayaking thread in TGO!

:siren: Vendors/Best of Recommendations :siren:
  • Looking for affordable used gear?

meselfs posted:

seems like a good opportunity to bring up http://www.geartrade.com/

There's a lot of information out there, but not all of it is good. For instance, outdoorgearlab is just an advertising schill that completely ignores a lot of great stuff. But I also appreciate the testing on stuff, so :shrug:

:frogsiren:After every trip, make sure to pull out all your gear and let it air out. Yes, even if it didn't rain, it got wet from sweat, condensation, etc, and mold will absolutely destroy that nice shiny new 500$ tent. You can pack it back up after a few days, but take care of your gear! :frogsiren:

• Clean your shoes, especially if they're leather. Oil your boots. Don't leave a banana in a bear canister, I did that once for a few months, and it was like a million spiders shat all over everything

Oh, and here's a great link for used gear:

https://lwhiker.com/used-gear-search/recent

It's an aggregator for all the various used gear marketplaces on the different lightweight forums. Allows you to search everything from one convenient spot.

Here’s a really great post about layering for cold and wet weather:

Verman posted:

That would be my suggestion. 40 degrees can really vary. 40 degrees and sunny might have me wearing a lot less than 40 degrees, rain and 15 mph winds. Everyone is different in how they perceive and regulate temperatures etc. Wearing three leg layers for 40 degrees and strenuous activity seems excessive. Stash the rainwear until you need it otherwise you're going to be soaked even before the rain comes. In general, you will likely start the hike somewhat cool because you will warm up once you start moving and have an extra layer or two in your bag for when you stop/if the weather gets cooler. If you're warm and comfortable at the car in your given layers, you are going to be too warm on the trail and likely will start sweating once you're moving along. I dont wear rainwear unless its raining. It usually doesn't breathe well so I dont wear it unless I have to, especially the pants.

Essentially you want to create layers that stack so that you're not having to stop and completely swap out what you're wearing for something else. You can onion peel and put things on as needed, take things off as needed.

Here would be my layer options for 40 degree wet weather:

Head
Beanie. You lose a lot of heat through your head. You might not need it but in the event the weather turns or you stop and get chilly, it will help a ton.

Torso
Base layer: (long sleeve technical shirt or long underwear for more warmth). For long underwear, I wear pretty thin stuff. Super thick long underwear can overheat very quickly and its difficult to remove once layered.
Mid layer: This needs to be insulating and since you said wet weather, avoid down since it loses its insulation once wet. Something like a decent weight wool (insulates when wet) or fleece sweater/hoodie/jacket should work.
Top Layer: Rain jacket - pretty self explanitory. It is mostly to keep you dry but it can help hold in heat but it can also cause you to sweat.
Extra layer in your bag: This is your bonus layer you will bring in your bag in case the 40º weather turns into 28º. Anything from another base layer or mid layer will do. It doesnt have to be a nuclear warmth option, just something extra that will add to what you're wearing and make the smallest difference.

Legs
Socks: Wool socks, decent weight. Wool does the best in wet weather in terms of drying, not stinking, and keeping you warm.
Base Layer: Long underwear or leggings (depending on thickness)
Outer Layer: Traditional hiking pants (non insulated synthetic, water repellent etc)
Rain Layer: Only use when needed
Optional: Leg gaiters, they keep snow out of your boots and guess what, they work pretty well for rain too. Most peoples shoes wet out in wet weather not because they stepped in water but because their pants and legs are pushing water down their legs into their boots. Put them beneath your rain pants and your feet should stay pretty dry.

:siren: Bonus Ultralight Gear Chat! :siren:

PoorHobo posted:

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've been looking into some Ultralight stuff for my upcoming PCT Thru. Since the climate is different, my sleep system might not work due to colder nights, and you might want to double up on water filtration due to less people helping out hikers on that trail. That being said, here's what I think for the categories below. (FWIW, I'm 6'4", 25 y/o, 175 lbs so my big and tall decisions should still work in the height range for you)

The biggest cost and weight are going to be in your big 4, which you have listed in these next 4.

Pack
The rule of ultralight is that you shouldn't be bringing anything more than what you need. Having a larger pack gives you more space to fill with what you don't need. The advice I've been given is to order your pack LAST so that you can purchase based on size of physical items you already have. I opted for the ULA Circut 68L bag that I got on craigslist. It weighs just about 2.25 lbs with waterproofed material.

Tent
50% more than your budget, the zPacks DupleXL is $750 for a 2 person tent meant for taller individuals. They claim the Dyneema is waterproof up to 15,000mm and that the bathtub floor is strong enough to forgo a groundsheet. I'd bring a Polycro one anyway because it's super light, cheap, and saves your tent for future trips.

Closer to your budget, but a tight squeeze, is the Gossamer Gear "The Two", which is what I purchased for myself ($325 on sale, $375 normally). It's waterproof up to 3000mm and held up in the latest CA Storm with 40 mph gusts.

Both of these need hiking poles to set up, but you should be hiking with those anyway.

Sleeping Bag/Quilt
This is where I know the least, and is up to debate on what is good. Synthetic is heavier, but resists getting waterlogged more and lasts longer. In the end, I went with another zPacks item, their classic 20* bag that I bought through Reddit for about $250. Weighs slightly over 20oz and has an incredibly warm footbox.

If you're buying new, the latest and greatest I've seen for thru-hikers is the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. Decently priced, and has an option for long/wide that will fit you if you're an active sleeper, long/reg for static.

Sleeping Pad
The sleeping pad I have is the Thermarest XLite Long, weighs about a pound with an R-Value of 4.4. It's the best weight to heat ratio I could find, but it is kinda crinkly to sleep on and has the ability to pop. Seems like most people purchase the Closed Cell Foam pads and cut them to size for weight savings. Cheap and light, and can work as a pack frame if you decide to go super light and get a frameless bag.

Footwear
Altra Lone Peak 5.0s are the hot ticket right now, but the Merrel MOABs are still highly regarded. Honorable mention is the Hoka One One trail runners. All should be in stock at REI and you can try them on to see which work best for you. I ended up with the Altras due to the tread, and larger footbox.

I don't really have knowledge on camp shoes. I've heard of people taking old insoles, and thrashing them to their feet with shoelaces, however. Light and if you have old shoes, free.

Stove
I have the pocket Rocket 2, and it is pretty dang loud. Not that much of an issue, but there's a reason it's called the rocket. I've heard good things about the snowpeak Litemax stove. It's a little lighter and a bit more expensive, but I've never heard a bad thing about it, or one ever breaking.

I've been able to get a good, 3-4 hours of burner time on my medium-sized can, which translates to around 90-120 minutes for the 4 oz that fits in my toaks 700 ml pot. At least on the PCT, there are enough towns that you can purchase a new can in town when you get there and if you run out in between towns, you just cold soak your food for a day or two.

Clothes
If you're interested in a rain skirt, and have a DIY bone in your body, there's a kit to make one relatively cheap out of Dyneema.

The outer layer champion is the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, although it's fairly expensive at $300. If you don't mind a little heavier, I've considered purchasing some stuff from Uniqlo in their ultralight down jackets. I would say to test it first, since I haven't heard of anyone else online talking about them.

GPS
Good call on the inReach Mini. I've been going back and forth on which subscription to buy, but it all boils down to if you have people at home who would worry about you. If you want to be left alone, the SOS button is really all you need, and maybe the cheapest plan to send text messages once in a while to say "we are okay" or something like that.

I'll be using an inReach with the mobile app "FarOut" on my phone.

Headlamp
Nitecore NU20 if you are hiking solo, Nitecore NU25 has a red light so you don't blind people when you look at them. Tips say to replace the headband with lashcord to save a few grams, but I'm not quite that hardcore yet.

Watch
The latest Apple Watch has that kinda stuff, if you're an apple user. Otherwise, Garmin's line of smartwatches has a few, including one that has a solar charger on the face so it can last almost indefinitely when GPS is off.

Edit: Here's my pack list if you're interested https://lighterpack.com/r/22653l

:siren: Getting Started - Camping On A Budget :siren:

RodShaft posted:

My advice would be to think about what you have that you can already use, then buy budget gear to fill in the rest. Then figure out what you like and don't, and upgrade to more expensive equipment accordingly.

A lot of times when people are asking for recommendations (not necessarily here) they get a list of high end equipment that is great for the person recommending it but doesn't fit the recommendee.

There's a LOT of "camping on a budget" videos out there on YouTube, watch a couple. I think you'll be surprised how little you actually need to buy to car camp.

Now for my recommendations:

Tent:
There's nothing wrong with Ozark trail (Walmart brand) and Coleman you can get a tent that will work perfectly fine for under 50 bucks with a return policy. It won't be the best quality, but it'll be fine and help inform you what you're actually looking for. (You could easily spend $400 on a great tent, then realize you don't need the space. Space don't like the set up. Decide you want to backpack so you need something lighter) bonus, when you do upgrade, you can loan it to friends when they want to go camping with you.

Sleeping pad:
You probably have an air mattress you can already use, if not they're ultralight inflatable pads that are meant for backpacking but we use them even for car camping because they don't take up as much space. They are not nearly as thick as an air mattress, we're talking like two plus inches. If you're a bigger guy or a slide sleeper, you're going to want at least 4 in, or just buy a cheap air mattress. You can throw those foam exercise mats or yoga mat underneath them for a little more insulation. And not much more padding. Two Budget brands are teckology and sleepingo. (They actually sell insulated sleeping pads but I don't believe there's any budget options there)

Sleeping bag:
The temperature rating on these is the temperature at which you will not freeze to death, not the temperature you will be comfortable at. So if it's rated 40° it might be okay in like 60° weather. Regular size sleeping bags aren't super popular anymore. Mummy style is more common. There are now quilts that are basically sleeping bags without padding on the bottom because you're going to be sleeping on it and compressing that anyway to save weight, but that's not really a concern for car camping. I'm not much up on this particular subject because I hammock camp with down blankets. I have a Coleman sleeping bag for car camping, but I wouldn't recommend Coleman on this particular item. I have a generic mummy sleeping bag. I don't know what the temperature rated is but I like it way better. Hopefully somebody has more insight on this topic. Again, you probably have something you can use.

Hammock:
Buy a hammock. You can get them with mosquito nets, but seriously try it. Changer for me when I finally gave up and tried it. I wouldn't be able to backpack if hammock camping wasn't a thing because my back is so bad that I cannot sleep on a little inflatable pad and move much the next day. That being said, you probably have less stuff that will work for hammock camping. You need a hammock with a mosquito net, an underquilt, and a tarp in case it rains, bare minimum. I use quilts instead of a sleeping bag because of the under quilt. I have an ultralight quilt but you can use one of those crinkly blue plastic ones sold pretty much everywhere. You need the under quilt because with all that air underneath you a slight breeze can just suck the warmth out of you. It's basically half a sleeping bag that goes under your hammock. If nothing else, just bring a hammock with you camping. It's great to lay in any way, And you can get not terrible ones for like 20 bucks.

I'll post some more recommendations later, like I said, this is all just budget stuff to get you out there to see what you like and what you want out of camping that you can then spend your camping budget on upgrading the gear you want. Want. As an example, I went through three different hammocks before I found the one that I use now. And if I would have bought a $400 hammock in the first style, I would still be using it and not enjoying hiking as much asi do, But I'd be stuck cuz that was my whole budget.

quote="Verman" post="535643525"]
This

... is good advice. Basically everything I would've said but I'll give my 2¢ as well.

Start out small. Agreed with doing a short distance trail that way you can easily back out etc if needed. I won't lie, I went through a bit of anxiety on my first few trips. You can feel a bit vulnerable being so far away from things in a remote part of the backcountry, far away from help. With time and experience it goes away but some people experience it, others not so much. Overpacking is a big deal. Most beginners worry so much about forgetting things they might need that they bring a lot of extra junk.

I'll give a few gear guidance recommendations though.

Backpacking is like stripped down camping. You need most of the same systems but in a smaller, lighter package. The more you go, the more you will notice what you need, what you don't. Its nice to keep a list the first few times to keep track of what you used, what you didn't, and what you might want to add.

Base weight is the gear needed for a trip minus food and water. Trip length and weather are the biggest variables on your pack weight. Your base weight will be mostly the same for a 2 day as a 7 day trip. Food and water will be what adds the most weight.

I would recommend to aim for a 20-30lb base weight, 30-40lb fully loaded pack weight for your first few trips. That includes water/food. Food is a tricky thing as each person will have their preferences. The freeze dried stuff is convenient but expensive and doesn't always taste great. There are some smaller boutique brands making better stuff but its pricey. Things like jerky, tortillas, cheese, dried sausage and cured meats, nuts, dry soup kits, noodles, instant sides like Knorr brands, peanut butter, honey, rice etc are all easy to bring and last without refrigeration. There are trail focused cookbooks to help with eating on trail.

Here are the basics:
Pack (for 3+ days I would recommend a 60L pack. Its just the right size for most people. Osprey atmos is my absolute favorite I will recommend to everybody)
Shelter (tent, tarp, bivvy etc: Usually a 2 person tent under 5 lbs, REI passage 2 is a good entry level backpacking tent, nemo hornet for upgraded option)
Sleep (sleeping bag, pad. I generally recommend a 15-20ºF bag under 3lbs if you can. Kelty cosmic 20 down is the go to recommendation. Also love big agnes insulated air pads as they're very plush)
Cooking (stove/jet boil, pot/bowl, food, lighter/matches. This is a tough one. MSR pocket rockets are well loved, as are jet boils. Pros and cons with each but its a personal preference)
Hydration (water storage (bladder or bottles), water filter for purifying. Bottle or cup for drinking while at camp or mixing drinks)
Clothing (pants, undies, socks, base layer, mid layer, outer layer, rain/snow gear if appropriate) I generally bring far fewer clothes nowadays. Darn tough wool socks, exofficio boxer briefs, and one outfit with maybe a shirt or two to change out. I usually wear the same convertible pants for the course of a trip.
First aid/toiletry (first aid kit for common injuries, prescription meds, allergy stuff, pepto tablets). This can be as small as a ziplock baggie since you're not doing combat trauma on the trail. Cuts, burns, stings, upset stomach, pain relief and allergy are the most common things to have to deal with. Also look for a pocket sized wilderness first aid guide to keep with it for basic guidance. I look at my first aid kit as a toiletry kit so toilet paper and/or nature wipes, hand sanitizer, soap, chap stick.
Navigation (map, compass, gps, beacon if desired). I usually only bring GPS on new trails or places I'm not familiar with.
Tools (small knife, paracord, tent pole repair tube, small bit of duct tape, air mattress patches if using one) You don't need a rambo knife to kill a moose or chop down a tree with. Leave the hatchet at home. A small swiss army knife or a single blade knife is most all you need for opening packages, cutting food, cutting cord etc.
Lighting (headlamps). Headlamps are the most useful light. Bring a battery bank or spare batteries to keep it going. Lanterns and string lights are okay but a headlamp is a must. This technology is getting so cheap now that you can buy a black diamond or petzl but you can also buy a cheaper amazon no name for insanely cheap.
Protection (bugs, sun, sunglasses). Some places are worse than others but play to the area you're going. Small form factor is ideal. Sunglasses are crucial on sunny places without much cover.

Hiking poles are one of those things I rarely use on day hikes but I use on my backpacking trips. It saves my knees and hips on long or steep days.

Extras These are your creature comforts like a book or kindle, a deck of cards, hammock, chair, battery bank/solar panel, camera gear, coffee making stuff. Every ounce counts and you feel it with every step so you'll need to justify what's worth the added weight.

REI rents out most backpacking items so you can try things out before investing. You can easily spend a thousand or more on gear to go backpacking. The great thing is it can mostly be shared with someone else. Each person doesn't need their own tent, stove or water filter. I would recommend trying it before you buy it. Shop used if you can for things like packs and stoves.
[/quote]

Updated: Feb 2024

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 17, 2024

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the great contributions! I'll be adding those to the OP!

Question for you guys, I'm thinking about buying a rodent proof sack for storing my food. Normally I either hang a silnylon bag or bring my bear canister, and I haven't had a problem, but this weekend a pony ripped up someone's food bag in the Grayson Highlands so I'm thinking I'd like something a bit more durable but not quite bear canister heavy.

I'm torn (wamp womp) between the Ursack Minor and Ratsack... anyone here use either of those, or should I do something else entirely?

On the same topic, someone showed me the PCT Hang over the weekend and thought I'd post it here:

When you pull on the cord, it just raises the bag up!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ASSTASTIC posted:

Holy gently caress, that Ursack costs 80 bucks for a bag? I mean, I get why people use bear cans, but was that dude's bag that the pony got into hung correctly or on the ground? I've always used a stuff sack/silnylon bag to hang my food and 80 bucks sounds a bit too much for a sack. Any reason why its so expensive?

Because it's a lightweight bear or rodent canister, so that's worth a pretty penny to people. Plus the fabric is pretty pricey and hard to work with.

The guy that got his food bag muched was an idiot and hung it low enough that the pony was able to reach it, 100% his fault. But, I have heard plenty of other horror stories of raccoons and mice so i figured a chew proof bag might be a good preventative measure even though I've been pretty lucky thus far. I don't need their bear sack, just the steel threaded cut resistant bag to stop the local critters. I think I might try that over the ratsak since it's a bit lighter...

CopperHound posted:

I always scoffed at alcohol stoves, but today I had some denatured alcohol, aluminum cans, and time:

I still need to try it out in breezy or rainy conditions, but I think I'm a convert.

Nice! You've got me wanting to bust out my whitebox alcohol stove again, now that it's summer.

Only downside to alcohol is that it isn't very efficient in winter, but you can use canister stoves, like this 10$ chineesium Olicamp Ion knockoff stove instead if you want to save weight. That one in particular has been pretty skookum for me, and it's crazy light.

So I finally heard back from Lowa, and it looks like I'm going to officially be getting my boots resoled by them, and it's only gonna be 85$! :woop:

For reference, I had a catastrophic blowout on my trip to Grayson Highlands last weekend:

Fortunately I had a pair of chaco sandals with me for camp shoes, (mainly because I saw the foam mid layer starting to blow chunks off the side right before the trip), so I was able to finish the hike no problem. However, I'd really love to get some lighter sandals for camp shoes that I can use as backup hiking sandals if something like this happens again. Someone suggested Xero Sandals to me... anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? The chacos just aren't comfy for long distances, and they're pretty drat heavy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Escape Addict posted:

Thank you for the advice, ASSTASTIC.

What kind of underwear do you guys recommend? Is the exofficio boxer brief the best? Smart wool? What works well for you?

What underwear?

an ounce off the crotch is a pound off the mind

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

meselfs posted:

seems like a good opportunity to bring up http://www.geartrade.com/

This is awesome, it's going in the OP!

Waroduce posted:

So I'm going backpacking through Europe for 10 days and I hike ocasionally in Pennsylvabia. I need a bag, and was going to go with the redwing 50l for 100$ off amazon, but my gf is bitching at me for spending that much.

There are similar looking backpacks w internal frames and waist support for 30-50$on amazon. Is the quality of the redwing so superior to Warrent the extra cost?

The 30-50$ brands are g4free and outdoor master

Ripstop nylon is ripstop nylon, might be thinner and more susceptible to tearage, or aluminum frame more susceptible to breakage b/c quality control or gauge of the metal. Since you're in Europe and not in the wilderness where you life literally depends on the integrity of your pack, you're probably fine with a chineesium pack. You might also look at old Coleman or jansport packs on fleabay, those brands are pretty skookum for durability on a dime. Kelty might be in your budget as well.

Osprey, Gregory, Kelty, Z packs are some of the best ones I see most often. What else do you guys use?

ROFLburger posted:

I'm going backpacking tomorrow for a few days and I'm wondering if it's uncommon to just not bring a stove?

Tons of people don't bring a stove! Just pick food you don't need to heat up. A lot of dehydrated meals will re-hydrate just fine cold, or pack granola bars, jerky, trail mix, peanut butter, tortillas, etc. Heating water over the fire is a tremendous pain in the rear end and I guarantee will not turn out well. One, building a fire takes a lot of time and energy. Two, a cooking fire needs to be hot coals, which takes hours to build up to. Orange flames make for a terrible cooking fire, it's not very hot at all. Lastly, how are you going to suspend your pot over the flames to boil the water? And now your pot is going to get blackened and nasty from the fire.

You can try it, but plan for failure. I guarantee that you'll never try it again.

Esbit tablets and stoves make a great cheap lightweight alternative fyi

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 8, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm one of those retards who buys tons of gear but never uses it because I never do anything. Like, ever. I always want to go backpacking but I missed some opportunities when I lived by Seattle (just did day hikes) and now I'm back in Wisconsin which I'm not so happy about. In fact, I've never been backpacking despite have a pack that is used to put on my back. I've always just done car camping. None of my friends here have time to go on a trip, nor are they active enough to want to or anything, and I'm determined to get out this year so I guess I'm going to have to go solo.

I think today I'm going to lay out all of my gear on my living room floor and put together a pack that I could potentially take with me for a standard hike/camp. Does anyone know of any places in SE or central Wisconsin that you can actually backpack? Everything I see is just camp sites that you walk a few hundred yards too (if that). I'd like to actually hike a trail where I can set up shop wherever I want. I'm not having much luck.

Please let me into your world.

I think there's a really great backpacking trail around lake superior, you might want to Google around and see about that. Sleeping bear dunes in Michigan's UP and Grand Island are both places I would love to visit that might be relatively near your area.

Check out meetup.com for any hiking and backpacking groups near you, there are several near me here in Columbus with some pretty great people on there. Also check out regional meetups on the hammock forums to see if there's stuff near you. I've had mixed success convincing friends and co-workers to come out, and even people I used to go with regularly are just flaky, either because they're in a new relationship or for whatever reason... It's tough to convince people that it actually is fun to get outside and experience the world in a whole new way. I swear there's gotta be more people interested in doing this kind of thing since nine out of ten people on social media always list hiking as their favorite activity ever.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The patagonia houdini and the marmot precip look kind of nice. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. A lightweight but breathable jacket. I do actually have a Frogg Toggs jacket/pants for emergencies. I guess I'm looking for something for when it's just drizzling on mild days. This is a good start.

I actually have a cat jacket that's really good in inclement weather. It's a bit beat up since I wear it regularly but it's a little heavy so I doubt I'll use it on the trail.

I have a bottle of that and I'm going to spray the poo poo out of everything before I go camping

I wouldn't recommend construction worker gear for hiking, especially Carhart stuff. Most of that is overbuilt for abrasion resistance, and uses some flavor of denim to achieve that. Denim is cotton, and cotton is bad, very very bad. It just absorbs water so you freeze to death in the cold, and never dry out when it's warm.

I like my marmot precip shell, I got it pretty cheap at REI because it was a previous year model closeout. Just remember with any waterproof breathable gear, it's breathable only to a theoretical extent. It's all the same kinda material, and you're going to get wet nomatter what, either from your perspiration or the rain. Just dress in layers so you can regulate your body temperature and you'll be good! And remember, sometimes the best time to go hiking is in the rain, don't let inclement weather predictions disrupt your plans. 75% of the time, forecasters are wrong anyways!

For ticks, you only get Lyme disease after they start regurgitating into your bloodstream, about 24 hours after latching. So, if you inspect yourself thoroughly after hiking, you can pry them off with a tick key and suffer no harm. They also hate peppermint oil, like the stuff in Dr. Bronner's magic soap--I'd recommend trying bathing with that before you go out of you're really concerned, and wear ankle length hiking pants since that's usually where they latch.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

I'm confused why people are so loving duped about the polyester industrial complex saying that wicking fabrics keep you cool. They never ever keep you cool. There is literally no fabric better than cotton for hot summer months for shirts and pants/shorts. If you want to jabber about hypothermia or your wet crotch, fine w/e

I... Can't tell if you're trolling?

Either way, you are the only person I've ever met that thinks this. It's not even a point of contention.

E: Have science! :science:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 13, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So I was about to buy [http://thetentlab.com/Deuce/DeuceofSpadespage.html]the deuce of spades poop trowel[/url], but then I noticed on their site that they've got a really slick looking tent called the Moonlight Tent. Even though I'm a hammock guy, I kinda want to get a nice tent for places I'm going with other people that may not have great hammock sites and I'm not sure what tents the cool kids are using these days. Anyone heard of or used the moonlight tent? Is it worth the extra pound or two over the Copper Spur or MSR Hubba Hubba? Is there something better I should be looking at?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bogan King posted:

Just use a tarp. That way you can take your hammock tarp setup and if there isn't anything to setup off you can sleep under the stars or tarp if it looks sketchy. This advice applies great here where it never really gets cold so ymmv.

That's actually exactly what I did last time I went to Grayson Highlands and was told by the everyone else that there wasn't a hammock spot. So, I brought my tarp and old bivy bag, which actually worked out fine despite it raining the whole weekend, but I figure for the same weight I could just get a small tent and have some more footbox comfort for my sasquatch feet.

Mainly I'm looking to paddle the Roanoke here in a few months and they've got little platforms your can rent and pitch a tent on right on the river, so the tarp is a no go there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

God, I hate to keep discussing this topic, but that's not cotton, nor are any of the other desert garb photos posted. Those are typically linen, which is made from flax. Linen is a very loose weave, which is what helps you stay cool. Usually they're also layered with silk, which also has a lot of great thermal, strength, and moisture wicking properties that combine well with the linen to dissipate heat, evaporate moisture, and block the sun.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a sub $100 tent? They all about the same?

Yup! At that price point they're all essentially the same. It's basically the same Chinese factories sticking a different label on them. Not saying this is bad if you're just looking for a cheap tent, my first tent was a steep and cheap high Sierra or something. I still have it ten years later and loan it out to other people who don't have gear. Mainly you're giving up a bit of durability and weight savings, but nylon is nylon, just a different denier and waterproofing coating. Just make sure you buy a tent with a separate rainfly and ventilation to prevent moisture buildup. In 2017, you should be perfectly fine as the general quality of stuff is way better than ten/fifteen years ago.

Main things not to skimp on are your shoes, pack, and sleeping bag. Any of those fail you're screwed or dead. Your tent? Well, you're going to have a miserable night but you're not gonna die, and you might be able to fix the tent temporarily with duct tape.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh, and fyi, anybody wanting an Oru Kayak--the Bay ST is on sale right now at a bunch of different places for 20% off:

Oru Kayak Bay ST at Moosejaw

This is basically their newest version, so it's got better connectors and seat. I'm personally extremely tempted to dig into my savings and pick one up

E: the beach is also on sale!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 21, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Picnic Princess posted:

If you want to fight about material, you have my blessing to start a thread. Keep it in there.

And as someone who has a hypermobility disorder, hiking poles are my heroes. No shame.

:agreed:

I'm just happy that people are getting out and trying to educate a little bit about different materials and such for anyone that's never considered that there's even a difference. Meselfs and Epitope have a fantastic point that people will buy stuff simply because its expensive and marketed a certain way rather than knowing anything about it or what they actually need, eg that the 3$ performance golf polo from goodwill is the same goddamn thing as the 90$ Actyrex shirt from REI

Hiking poles are awesome, especially for rough uphill and downhill! Plus your can really get a good speed boost if you use them correctly and plant them to propel yourself forward. Plus they're awesome for moving briars and poo poo out of your easy on the trail, and feeling out how deep/soft mud and puddles are as you pick your steps in certain places

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I finally did it, I pulled the trigger on an Oru Bay ST from backcountry.com :homebrew:

:rip: financial stability

I'll post updates and pictures once I get a chance to try it out!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

Other than weight, why should I not use my packraft as a sleeping pad?

That's a really clever idea! Let us know how you like it... would it be lumpy and oddly misshapen with random hard plastic knobs, or does it cover you pretty well?

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Thoughts on Steri-pen? I noticed it wasn't listed in the OP. I have used one on three continents and haven't had any problems with the water it treats yet. So far it is my favorite water treatment.

I've never actually tried it myself, but it seems like a really cool idea. My main concern would obviously be batteries, I hate relying on anything technological that could malfunction, but if you just brought a small bottle of aquamira tablets as backup that'd mitigate that concern entirely. The only other thing to remember is that you probably still want to filter water for sediment, like with a bandana or something, and that it obviously doesn't do anything for filtration, only organic stuff.

Main thing to keep in mind is that no filters really do much for stuff like heavy metals, so you just want to be aware of the water sources in an area before hand. I know in Zaleski State Park here in Ohio, they actually provide potable water cisterns at all the backpacking sites, because the streams and rivers in the area are polluted with yellowboy, which is acidic mining runoff. Never ever ever drink from a yellow tinted water source, nomatter what kind of filter or treatment you have.

I don't know how much of an impact this has had so far, but my new concern is Fracking... has anyone ever heard of there being any backcountry water issues related to fracking?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 22, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Terminus posted:

The Kelty Trail Ridge is catching my eye for my car camping and maybe light backpacking needs.
Any thoughts on the brand in general?

Kelty makes excellent external frame packs, never tried their tents but I would expect it to be decent, if not a bit on the heavy side.

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm "backpacking" next Saturday! The campsite is only 2km from the road so it's considered backcountry. But that means we're shopping for a new tent, because our MEC Tarn 3 has a torn fly, bent poles, and broken zipper. The last few car camping trips were interesting to say the least. The poles actually bent in Canyonlands during really intense sustained winds over 3 nights. So at least the story behind that is interesting.

Has anyone ever used:

North Face Talus
MSR Elixer
Mountain Hardwear Optics
MEC Volt
Marmot Catalyst
Marmot Tungsten

I'm comparing them but I can't quite make a decision.

As much mountaineering and heavy duty use as you do, you should check out Tentlab's moonlight tent:

http://thetentlab.com/MoonLightTents/MoonLightIntro.html

It's designed to withstand heavy sustained winds, can be pitched rainfly first, and has a spare backup zipper built in. Never used one, but I stumbled across it when I bought my deuce of spades and it looks pretty skookum!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have swamp camping advice? The trick is outfitting for hot, wet, HUMID conditions. A hundred degrees ain't nothing when it's breezy and dry and evaporation is a thing that happens, but 90°/90℅ is miserable. And that will be in October sometimes. Does anyone have suggestions for surviving a florida expidition without getting malaria (besides 'go in winter')?

Here in a month I'll be kayaking down the Roanoke and camping out on swamp platforms, so I'll be in the same boat (pun intended). I'm treating everything with permethrin and wearing long sleeves, and bringing lots of water. I can't think of anything more specific though.

ASSTASTIC posted:

Also, gently caress the haters, I always use hiking poles. I don't care if I look like a loving grandpa at 35 while using them, I'm saving my knees and ankles because I'm getting another stability point.

:FistBump:

Hiking poles are the best, especially of you want to move fast, have stability in lovely muddy conditions, or go downhill and take it easy on your knees. I'll never go backpacking without my Costco carbon fiber poles again.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So, I finally pulled the trigger... I bought the Blackbird XLC hammock AND a ZPacks Arc Blast!

Between the two, I'll be losing three pounds off my back, and the hammock should be more comfortable than the one I made several years ago.

Mainly I didn't want to have to gently caress with sewing the mosquito netting on mine and I never finished trimming it down for the hammock, so it'll be nice to have a finished product. Plus I recently went backpacking with a guy that has the Zpack, and it's a pretty skookum looking pack. Plus I love the big hip belt pockets and organization of the pack, it just looks awesome. It's just crazy that it weighs less than half of my Osprey pack and honestly costs about the same.

I'm really stoked for both!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 6, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Hopefullly I'm going to be doing some car camping in the Southern California area. I'm looking for a tent, and/or other gear. Weight isn't much of a concern, though I'm not really looking for anything larger than in the 4-6 person range. Breaking the bank, however, is a concern. I've been looking at Alps Mountaineering and CORE Equipment - something a step up from Coleman stuff, but not anything super high end. Although I read somewhere recently that Coleman was making an effort to improve their quality?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, its pretty dry here most of the time. Most of my camping experience is in the East Coast, generally with high humidity and dense mosquitos. I don't think those concerns come into play around here.

Any suggestions? Most of the internet seems to think "you can't possibly camp without $1000 worth of gear." But I'm car camping, not hiking.

Asstastic posted a really good primer on materials below you, but to answer your question, if you're car camping, you can throw all the rules out. The biggest reason nice gear costs so much is because it weighs a lot less and it's just designed for better durability. But if you're not particularly concerned about weight, you could go to walmart and buy a 30$ tent and 20$ sleeping bag/9$ foam pad on amazon and you're all set to sleep outdoors. Coleman/Guandong Province's finest will be perfectly adequate for car camping, because your life does not depend on nice gear, merely your comfort. Hell, for that matter, just get a 10$ inflatable air mattress. That plus a sleeping bag will be perfectly adequate for SoCal summer camping. Bring your cooler for food, and grab a couple folding chairs for the campsite. Heck, grab a cord of firewood for a few bucks from places near your campsite, and a duraflame log for good measure. And don't forget a few cases of beer, though you should always make sure you're bringing cans while camping and never glass. Also bring stuff like frisbees, footballs, and other activities for around the campsite so people aren't sitting there on their phones. A few gallon jugs of water in your trunk would also be a great idea, and a backpack and some water bottles would be great if you wanna do some hiking.

And don't forget the smores either... yeah it seems lame, but it really does hit the spot when you're outdoors next to a nice fire. Do your neighbors a favor and leave the portable bluetooth speaker at home though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Alehkhs posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not looking to destroy the pads and then return them. I can definitely understand retailers dropping customers that abuse no-worry returns policies.

I just grew up using foam pads, but my wife wants to try out inflatable sleeping pads for backpacking. I'm a bit leery and hesitant but willing to try out an inflatable. Being able to return it in the case of leaks finally helped relax me into the decision.

Oh yeah, no hesitation--inflatable pads are the poo poo. Earlier this year I picked up the REI Flash pad for a trip I couldn't take my hammock on, and holy hell that thing was ridiculously comfortable. As a hammock camper, I'm absolutely shocked at just how great pads have gotten in the last ten years, it's pretty unbelievable.

FCKGW posted:

Went car camping last weekend and realized the kids novelty sleeping bags don't work at all in 35 degree nights. We were mistakable and came home early.

Looking at getting new bags, should I get something geared towards kids or is an adult bag fine? Ages are 4 and 6.

If you're camping in anything that cold forget about any kind of novelty or rectangular sleeping bags, you absolutely must have a mummy style bag with hood, draft collar, etc. And don't forget an insulated sleeping pad, because the ground sucks all the heat out of you like a giant heatsink, the compressed insulation under you doesn't do much good. Even an inflatable air mattress doesn't offer much in the way of insulation on cold nights, you'll need a foam pad or something like that.

Another thing you can do to improve tolerance at colder temperatures is to boil some water, throw it in a nalgene and put it into a thick sock, and stick that between your thighs. Basically it'll radiate warmth to your femoral artery, which will pump that warm blood all throughout your body.

Since you're car camping, you may look at just getting an adult sleeping bag (depending on how old/fast they're growing) and just fill in or sew up the bottom half or something since you're not worried about weight so much.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

I have to patch a hole in the mesh of my tent. Best to apply patch inside, outside, or both? I got extras.

If it's mesh, it shouldn't make a difference which side you apply the patch. Are you sewing the patch on there, or is it an adhesive?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Its a question - like should I bother? Is there any advantage over bedding I already have since I'll be using an inflatable bed.

Nah, not on a nice summer or fall night. If it's going to around freezing, yeah, you'll definitely want a good mummy bag and something that'll insulate your backside better than an air mattress, but for car camping, just grab your air mattress, some old sheets and pillows, and a blanket from home

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

My third prolite thermarest has failed in the past 2.5 years, all at the same weak spot, with the valve starting to leak and then get worse until 3-4 hours in it becomes flaccid.

REI rep said the REI branded stuff has at least not been a manufacturing problem. It may not matter for you weekend warrior types, but for 120 dollars I'd think cascade would do a better job of QC

drat... That blows (no pun intended)

Were you able to get any warranty replacement on those? That seems like such a lovely lifespan

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So I've been going through my gear this weekend and looking at reorganizing stuff and getting rid of things I haven't used in awhile.

How do you guys store and organize all your gear? What do you do with your old stuff?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

Get Costco poles. They sell a pair by cascade designs for $30 that are carbon fiber with cork grips, carbide tips and have interchangeable baskets. On Amazon they are $40.

You can't find a better deal on decent poles. I've had my pair for a few years and they are still 100%. Get the lever lock versus the twist.

Amazon has the aluminum version for $20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2HYPNW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Lf6DzbPYRR1CR

Or the carbon for $40
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XM0YGW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lh6DzbKZ6XVM9

Nthing this times a million. I've had mine for three years now, still running strong. The cork is starting to wear, but that's it. Verman is also absolutely right that lever lock is where it's at

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Hi backpacking goons. My wife and I are heading up to the Mt Jefferson Wilderness area and/or the surrounding national forests in mid-August (to see the eclipse from a campsite) and "dispersal camping" meaning off-trail, find a spot as you can, because it's gonna be a total madhouse with every hotel room in Oregon booked for months past and people charging hundreds of dollars on air BNB etc. etc.

Anyway there seems to be plenty of water typically available so instead of packing in 2.5 days of water for drinking and cooking, I'm planning on bringing maybe half that and using a filter. The last time I bought a filter was like 20 years ago and the tech seems to have radically improved. I just picked something with good reviews on Amazon, so, is this OK?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPH1LEU

I understand what we'd need is a "dirty water" bottle or bag or whatever to scoop up water from a ground source and then force it through the filter either by squeezing a bag, or by just sucking on it like a straw. I want light weight due to off-trail backpacking and I want reliability so we don't run out of water or something, but longevity probably isn't that important because we are not frequent backpackers (as in, we've been going fewer than once a year the last few years).

tl:dr; recommend me a good lightweight water filter for two people for backpacking.

Sawyer is great, it's lightweight, lasts ages, and it does work. The downside is the effort you have to put into squeezing the bag to get water out, which is why I'm nthing having switched to gravity filters. Trade-off is a bit heavier and pricier, but way faster and much easier to filter water.

I think you'll like the Sawyer though, and if you don't go very often, it's perfect especially at that price point :)

FYI, those bags can be a pain to fill. I'd grab an aquafina type water bottle, cut off the base, and use that as a scoop to fill the Sawyer bag, and then filter that into your water bottles. I usually like to bring minimum 2L on a trip to start with, and I actually have several empty clan Sawyer bags I can fill with extra water if need be on a trip.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

Since 2006 we've been backpacking at least 150 nights a year every single year.
:drat:

What is it you do for a living that affords you the time to do that? It is something you work for six months, and then travel the rest?

Whereabouts do you go every year? Is it always someplace new, or the mostly the same area?

I'm on track to do about twenty trips this year between backpacking and kayak camping, and I thought that number was excessive :ohdear:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not a micro-ouncer or whatever so any backpacking stove is going to be reasonably lightweight and compact. I'm almost always going to be cooking for two, in 3-season conditions, so not melting snow. Fuel flexibility seems like a good way to ensure future-proofing so I don't have to replace it (again) in ten years, but on the other hand, being over $100 is overkill given how (in)frequently I'll be using it.

So MSR Pocket Rocket seems like a great option at $40.

Pocket Rocket is a time tested and proven canister stove. Only downside is that it's on the heavier side.

I particularly love the Olicamp Ion Micro with accompanying pot with heat fins, for an effective stove that weighs less than your shoe laces:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BISS1RM/ref=asc_df_B00BISS1RM5104127/

I've been rocking that pot plus the chineesium 10$ knockoff of that stove for several years now and it's been very good to me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AKF4USW/

Fyi, you can find these stoves on fleabay for 5-10$ shipped directly from guandong province. They're all the same if you search 25g titanium stove, just different brands and labels slapped on. That Olicamp pot is super worthwhile too if you're upgrading your cooking stuff.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

That guy was right, I run a business doing trail construction and maintenance. Jobs run the gamut but the large ones are almost exclusively USFS. Right now we're working in the Frank Church and Selway Bitterroot Wildernesses in Bitterroot and Nez Perce NFs out of Darby south of Missoula MT but this spring we'll be working out of El Yunque NF in Puerto Rico and possibly out of Virginia this fall (bid decision not made yet).

We're getting old for maintenance contracts though, and it's difficult to gross more than 2k a week (for each of us)without soul crushing amounts of misery, so almost certainly 2019 will be our last maintenance year and we'll focus only on construction.

That's awesome! Having done some volunteer trail maintenance in the past, I can't tell you how much I really appreciate the backbreaking labor you guys put into building and maintaining everything. It's incredible the amount of work and design that go into something that if done properly, nobody will ever know anything was done at all.

Gear related question, but I'm looking for a new puffy mid layer kind of jacket for the shoulder seasons. I currently own a wiggys sweater, which is great, but I just want to try something a bit lighter and more compact. Any recommendations? Synthetic would be my preference over down, but I'm not opposed to down if there's a clear hivemind preference.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the purchases thread, but I picked up some new gear

Snagged a 30° underquilt from HammockGear (who makes everything right on the other side of town here, which is pretty cool)

Apparently the econ line is just made with a new kind of fabric which is a bit cheaper, and with a slightly less fill power down (800 vs 850). The combination of these things saves about a hundred bucks a quilt, while not really sacrificing much of anything.

Picked up a new reflective ridgeline with tarp connectors from DutchWare Gear:

A new midlayer puffy synthetic jacket:

Wound up going with Thermoball, so we'll see how good it is. I really loved my Wiggy's sweater, but I just wanted something longer and with a hood, and down doesn't work well for me as a midlayer. It just gets permeated with sweat and collapses.

A BeFree water filter, which will cut down some weight from my current gravity filter without sacrificing flowrate and ease of use:

One of the guys I went with on my last trip had one of these, and drat these things are just awesome! Less hassle and squeeze effor than a Sawyer, substantially better flow rate, and much easier to clean. This is what I always wanted the sawyer to be.

And some other bits and ends from Dutchware gear like reflective tarp tieouts, new stakes, and possibly my new favorite thing for backpacking, these tiny compressed towels that rehydrate with a few drops of water:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Get a Tilley, they're kinda expensive, but they have a lifetime replacement guarantee, and they float! I've wadded mine up in various cars and pack for years, without any noticeable damage.

I was just about to post the same thing, haha. Tilley's Endurables are awesome--for reference, their original success story was an elephant tamer whose hat was eaten, only to have it eventually pass out the other end unscathed. Guy just rinsed it off and kept wearing it.

SuicidalSmurf posted:

The hammock thread seems a bit cobwebbed, but if anyone's interested there appears to be a big sale on Eno products at backcountryedge.com. I've never heard of the site to be honest, but it was the cheapest result on google when I was looking for a new rain fly and had good luck with a service rep when I ordered the wrong thing. Looks like all their Eno stuff is 20% off.

Wasn't even aware we had a hammock thread! That being said, I still wouldn't buy an eno at that price since there's too many other great options out there. If I were to start over from scratch I'd get a Blackbird XLC hammock with some flavor of hex tarp and snakeskins, Dutchware ridgeline, and HammockGear Econ quilts, rather than DIYing and buying basically everything multiple times to get there. The new DutchWare chameleon hammock might also be worth checking out, everything else Dutch does is top notch.

I will say, generally speaking, one of the best quality of life backpacking purchases I've made was upgrading my Osprey pack to a Zpacks Arc Haul backpack. Over three pounds off my pack, magically gone forever, for roughly the same goddamn price of the Osprey, and the hip belt pockets are huge and actually functional (unlike the Osprey's tiny too far back hip pockets).

Sucks buying the same gear twice, but I have zero regrets.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Excellent explanation
:golfclap:

Dehydration from diarrhea is absolutely a real concern and people die from that every year. You don't know who or what has been making GBS threads upstream, so why risk it? I carry immodium in my med kit so I don't literally poo poo myself to death.

I've actually seen Yellowboy mine runoff near Zaleski, it's literally a yellow tint in what otherwise looks like great water. I also hiked by the remains of an abandoned uncapped gas well in Allegheny, and the whole area reeked of sulphur. No idea what that kind of poo poo is doing to the local water table.

For reference, here's one I found at Daniel Boone National Forest:

Most popular places where this is an issue will post some sort of warning or provide alternative water.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Loucks posted:

I actually am starting over with respect to hammock. I recently felt the urge to spend some time in the Hennessy Expedition hammock I used to stealth camp with before trail races. Between the hammock, blue foam pad, and vintage 1980's US Army-issue down mummy bag the set-up was ridiculously heavy and bulky and I never wanted to walk more than a couple of miles into the woods with it. I was going to get one of the single layer 11' Dutchware netless with ridgeline, a dutchware summer sock, and the hammockgear 20F econ quilt set. Just glancing at the relevant sites puts that whole set up at <5lbs, which seems reasonable for the price. Why the Blackbird XLC?

It's basically a much more comfortable hammock, with a built in footbox and shelf so you lay flatter and have some out of the way storage for stuff like a jacket or your phone. I was pretty dismissive of both until I tried it, and it's actually super useful in practice. Plus the included suspension is really easy and works great--just loop around the tree and pull the strap to tighten. To me, it's absolutely worth the extra price premium to just buy the best stuff, otherwise your mentality is always well, if only I had X. If you're looking at Dutchware stuff, the chameleon hammock looks promising. I trust Dutch to be innovative and do stuff right

I'd also make sure you always bring a tarp, you never know when it's going to rain, and the Dutch sock isn't very waterproof on it's own

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ASSTASTIC posted:

Relevant AvE reviewing a MSR water filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbdQcW2gwMM

Dang... I was actually hoping for more detail and poo poo being an Ave vid, instead of just talking about the O-rings for half the video

Loucks posted:

I really ought to do a little more research. I used the blue pad to keep my back/butt from getting cold due to not owning an underquilt (with mixed success), not so much for comfort. I've slept comfortably with just a fleece blanket on warm summer nights. Do people usually use both pad and underquilt?

Most people start out with a pad if they've already got one to start with, to save money buying an underquilt. A half inflated pad is a bit more comfy than a foam pad, but if you don't have one, HammockGear.com sells an econ quilt line that just has a new, significantly less expensive but basically similar Ion fabric being the only difference. The main downside to a pad is that it doesn't breathe like a quilt, so it may get damp, and it's just not as comfortable/stable. You usually only use one or the other. A good topquilt and underquilt is definitely a worthwhile investment, and HammockGear sells both for basically half of what I paid for mine several years ago.

khysanth posted:

Leaving tomorrow for my first solo wilderness backpacking trip in a long time. Just two easy days/nights. Wife meeting me at the end to drive me back home on Sunday.

Doing the first two sections of the Silver Mocassin Trail. Here's my map:

https://caltopo.com/m/EH41

e- oops didn't mean to post in the gear thread. Here's my lighterpack link I guess!

https://lighterpack.com/r/d1d26h

That looks awesome man--have a great time on your trip! If you're going solo, I'd highly recommend bringing a Kindle or a book with you. Also, putting your phone in airplane mode saves 99% of the battery while still allowing you to use it for pictures and whatnot.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CopperHound posted:

Several months later I decided to do something about not having a pot stand for my alcohol stove:

And it fits in the pot:

I used this tool to draw the cone template for me: http://zenstoves.net/PotStands-Conical.htm#ConeTemplates

This is awesome! That turned out great--thanks for sharing the link! I added it to the OP :)

blue squares posted:

Still?

http://cw39.com/2017/05/08/gander-mountain-and-the-confusing-going-out-of-business-sale-many-stores-will-remain-open/

Apparently they were all supposed to close in May. My nearby store is not on the list but according to Google is still open.
I think a good number Gander Mountain stores are going to stay open, but rebrand as the chain that bought them. They didn't buy the inventory though, so it's going through liquidation by another company.

Shachi posted:

I'm just getting started and trying to build gear on a budget. I live in the south east (carolinas) and have good proximity to a lot of good places to backpack and being newly divorced...have a lot of time on my hands I'd like to steer into something productive that isn't chasing skirt or hanging out in bars or staying home with the vidja games.

Like I said I'm on a pretty tight budget for gear and am trying to save where I can. After weeks of agonizing over it I committed to going tent instead of hammock. The price wasn't a lot different and tent seems easier to do with less places it goes wrong or I wake up wet and cold...also have a 70lb german shepherd roomate to take with me.

All that poo poo being said I've so far picked up a Kelty 44L backpack that seems to be heavily recommended and settled into a cheapish kelty backpacking tent. It weights like 4lbs which I hear is on the heavy side but the cost to weight kind of seemed inefficient right now. What I am worried about is my sleep system ie. bag and pad.

I see the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 recommended a lot online so I think I might go that direction but as for a sleeping pad I'm lost. As soon as I settled on something I learned more about R value on pads. I guess my question is: Is R value on your pad extremely important or is this something that can be supplemented with something like a foil E-blanket underneath? I was looking into a Nemo Astro I've seen them online as low as 40 and 50 bux

https://www.amazon.com/NEMO-Astro-I...Astro+Insulated

Until I saw it only has an R value of around 1.5 which I hear is only rec'd for warm weather. The Astro Insulated is a good bit pricier...and also I don't find it any cheaper online.

I guess I say to mean...is it worth it for the inflatables...I've seen stuff like the thermarest trail scout recommended etc. but it looks hella uncomfortable and those foam pads have decent R value compared to inflatables. I side sleep in a bed but I'm not opposed to back or stomach sleeping in situations that require it.

I'm kind of lost on this subject so far.

Congrats! You bought the right stuff--it's better to just get something OK to get started, and then you can upgrade your gear to something lighter over time as you figure out what you want and need. Don't go too crazy spending upfront. That being said, since you're in a tent, an inflatable pad is ABSOLUTELY worth its weight in gold for comfort. I like my REI flash pad, and the inflator makes a good pillow as well. If you have an REI nearby, try out several inflatable pads with some r-value since half the point of a pad is to protect you from the ground sucking out all your heat through convection, even with a sleeping bag. Light, inflatable pads have gotten really good in the last several years, absolutely worth it for a good nights sleep. If you're in the winter, you can double up pads with a cheap blue closed cell foam pad for extra r-value, but otherwise I'd get an inflatable with something like 3.5-4 to get you through 3 seasons comfortably.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Trip report:
Jefferson Wilderness was closed due to fires. We wound up more or less car camping so I did not put any of my new gear to a proper backpacking test. Still:

-We didn't even finish the half-full cannister of fuel for my old stove. We boiled 2 cups of water three times and 3 cups of water once, plus about a cup and a half of water for tea.

-Never got to use the new water filter. I always bring a couple gallons of distilled water in the car for emergencies. We hiked about a mile downhill looking for a stream that was on my map, but didn't find it - the map was probably inaccurate. On the other hand, our compasses were perfect, we were hiking off trail through new growth pine forest about a mile each way and we emerged back on the forest road within about 20 feet of the car.

-My old tent is a backpacking tent (a Walrus) but it's too heavy. Probably like six or seven pounds. It also doesn't vent well enough between the main tent and the fly - there's always dew on both in the mornings, which is annoying to deal with when packing up in the morning. I did open both front and rear a few inches for ventilation all night, and the inside stayed dry, but I'm now wanting a better much lighter backpacking tent... maybe one of those ones that uses your hiking poles?

-I'd never used those water bladder things with a tube you bite to drink from while hiking before, but I'm sold. Easier to pack in the backpack, works fine for dispensing water for food, great for dispensing a little water for washing dishes/hands. My only concern is the potential for a puncture, but they seem pretty tough.

-I think my old frame pack (a late 1990s Kelty) is heavier and larger than it needs to be. Probably fine for longer 6+ day/winter heavy treks or something, but for a two night trip, it's overkill. I'm loathe to stop using it since it's still in like-new condition, but if I do much more backpacking I think I want a smaller, much lighter, frameless pack.

-I want a pillow. Like forkbucket, I did not pack much extra clothes, and found it was pretty uncomfortable sleeping on a tight wad of rain jacket + two shirts + one pair of extra socks, while my wife luxuriated on her Thermarest pillow.

-My sleeping bag is great but like my tent, I think it's old and much heavier than necessary. It got cold at night (we were at about 4k feet in the cascades, so not super cold, but probably mid-low 50s?) and I was still sweating unless I opened it up a bit. I think a much lighter bag with maybe a liner I can bring for colder weather would be better. Same deal as the pack, though, it's in perfect condition so I'm reluctant to just get rid of it.

-I hate my army surplus style heavy folding metal spade/trench tool. A shovel is required if you want to have a camp fire, but camp fire restriction was in effect so we couldn't do that anyway. It worked great for latrine duty but it's like 2.8 pounds or something. What I really want is an ultralight (aluminum? titanium?) spade attachment that fits on the end of a hiking pole, but that's probably a recipe for a broken hiking pole. What do you guys do for digging latrines?

-I always bring too much goddamn food. This time I packed freeze dried premade meals for dinner, plus hot chocolate packets, plus oatmeal for breakfast, plus crackers, cheese, and dried fruit for lunches, plus a pound of mixed dried fruit, jerky, and trail mix for snacks. We ate about half of it. When I slung up the bear bag in a tree I realized it was really quite heavy, like probably 6+ pounds? That's including the stove and mess kit and food trash etc. but still it felt like way too much. On the other hand, I hate the idea of being stuck for an extra day or two and immediately running out of food.
-I'm possibly overdoing it on the emergency/survival kit, but old habits die hard. Waterproof matches, emergency blanket, 100' of 750lb paracord, fire striker, med kit, map & compass, it all feels pretty essential especially for bushwhacking cross country.

-I want an ultralight solution for camp shoes, and maybe a camp stool/chair too. Because I need to carry more crap; but we had no good seating, there were a lot of ants on the ground that were bothersome just sitting straight on the ground, sitting crosslegged/squatting isn't as comfortable in hiking boots, and all that together made camp less relaxing than I'd hoped.

A small foam pad works great to make comfy chairs out of rocks and logs. A hammock makes the best camp chair though, and doesn't weigh anything extra if you're using it for your sleeping arrangements

Tents these days are awesome for how lightweight they've become. If you want to do ultralight, I use something like this for my hammock (or bivy if I'm on the ground), it's just a Hex Tarp you can string between two trees and a small ground pad to insulate me from the ground on trips I don't bring my hammock because of the group I go with. One of these might work for you: https://sectionhiker.com/twelve-ultralight-tents-and-shelters-part-1/. The REI quarter dome, MSR hubba Hubba, or Copper Spur tents might also interest you. The e-vent bivy only weighs something like a pound if you want to go ultralight.

Those kelty external frame packs actually don't weigh hardly any more than most internal packs, plus they haul gear more comfortably, especially if you have a lot of it. If you want any weight savings, and if you're looking for a new pack, skip the Ospreys and other internal frames and buy a Zpacks Arc Haul pack. It's essentially the same price (~300$), but it has much bigger and more useful hip belt pockets, just as much storage and durability with the dyneema fabric, is waterproof, and most importantly, it weighs three pounds less. This is with the caveat that it works best if your pack is under thirty pounds, and weighs no more than 40. But considering you save three pounds for the same drat price point as an Osprey pack, why the hell not? Mine is comfier than my old Osprey Volt 70, only reason I'd use that one again is for winter backpacking where I want to bring a ton of crap.

Ditch the paracord--it's crap cord. Some extra cord is handy to have, but there's better stuff out there like Amsteel. Also go through your medkit and get rid of anything you don't know how to use or wouldn't immediately go for in an emergency, and remember any real emergency involves someone else hiking out for help and evacuation.

Ounces add up to pounds fast. Ditch the shovel (unless you're building foxholes and trenches). Buy a plastic spade or the Deuce of Spades Only weighs .6 ounces and digs great holes.

Everyone always brings way too much food. Just figure out what meals you're going to eat, buy dehydrated meals from Packit Gourmet, and pack a few snacks for in between. People can live weeks without eating, water is substantially more important-you can only live days without it. If you're in popular areas and parks, and let people know where you're going and when you're getting back, you won't get lost for days so long as you pay attention and don't do stupid stuff in unknown areas where nobody knows you're there. Even if you do get lost, so long as someone reports you being missing to a ranger or you register at the trailhead/ranger station, they'll organize search parties and more than likely find you if you don't get back on time. Plus if you keep walking in one direction you'll find a road or something eventually to get you back to civilization.

I'm not a big fan of water bladders--they taste awful and leach petroleum byproduct vapor into the water if they get hot, are prone to freezing and puncturing/leaking, and are drat near impossible to adequately clean. Gatorade bottles or wide mouth nalgene are absolutely the way to go. More awkward to carry, but far more reliable and taste a lot better. A buddy of mine used one on a winter backpacking trip, and the hose froze and punctured, leaking all over his sleeping bag. He then tried to dry it by the fire and accidentally ignited the edge of his bag. Some people like them because they're easier to access, especially while biking and stuff, so it's up to you... My experience is that they taste like poo poo over the course of a trip, and disaster prone.

A puffy jacket makes a great pillow, and a good midweight puffy is always something I carry except for maybe the hottest month of the year. But even then it's probably because I'm kayak camping instead of backpacking.

Camp shoes are an absolute essential in my book, you gotta let your feet air out and dry at the end of the day, plus nobody wants to lace up their shoes or boots to go pee in the middle of the night. I use Xero sandals that I really like, and I see tons of people with Crocs for camp shoes. A dollar pair of flip flops also works great, I just like the Xeros because I can hike in them and I've had a boot sole blow out in the middle of the trip before, and was able to hike out with the chacos I had brought as camp shoes.

Congrats for getting started backpacking! You're going through the same growing pains as anybody else--just keep asking questions and always keep re-evaluating your gear to see what you can improve over time or ditch altogether. A lighter pack makes everything much more enjoyable all around.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. What we really need to do is just hike more, and that will give us more of a feel for how many calories we're really demanding on a backpacking trip of a given length. On top of that, though, is the enjoyment factor. My wife is not totally on board with rough living. She is not gonna go on a camping trip where we don't have hot chocolate, tea (with milk in it, which can't be powdered milk of course), delicious snacks, etc. etc. At least, not yet. If it were just me, I'd be OK with subsisting on tortillas, nuts, freeze dried fruit, and beef jerky for a few days.

If you're talking about BPA, the camelback bladders are already BPA free, just like nalgene. If you're looking to avoid plastic entirely... well, gatorade and nalgene are plastic, you need an aluminum canteen. I have not noticed a bad taste from our camelbacks, and the way to clean them is with a diluted bleach wash.

I'm with you on the durability thing though, that's my chieftest concern with these. When I was a boy scout we all carried aluminum canteens - you know, the ones with fabric on the outside, which you can get wet for a bit of evaporative cooling effect to keep the water from being unpleasantly warm to drink. https://www.amazon.com/Laken-Aluminum-Canteen-Bottle-Shoulder/dp/B00C5J51YY/

Probably not on an ultralight backpacker's list, but if you want to completely avoid plastic leaching, you may have to go glass or metal, because even BPA free plastics may be leaching stuff into the water. Or maybe not, that study was heavily criticized. Either way, there's no indication a camelback is worse than a nalgene bottle for leaching.

But I'm not worried regardless. Guzzling some possible tiny amount of leaching petroleum products from a plastic container for two to four days is not going to give me enough of a dose to really matter.

Yup. A full nalgene or gatorade bottle that freezes is also going to rupture. Water expands when it freezes, and so you have to keep your drinking water in something that can expand, including any hoses/tubes/whatever... or keep it from freezing, or leave it open.

Hmmmm. My wife loves her puffy vest. Maybe I'll look into that as a top layer option.

Yeah, maybe I gave a false impression; I've been backpacking California since I was a cub scout. But I took like a 15 year break after I hurt my knee, and really hadn't done a ton of backpacking trips after my early 20s. It seems there's a lot of new equipment available now. Plus obsessing over kit is fun, right?

Sorry, should have clarified--it's not BPA I'm talking about, just the cheap lovely camelback my girlfriend brought for hiking around Moab last week. I had some gatorade bottles I filled up and threw in my daypack (which worked out great), but her water bladder (which I had rinsed with hot water before filling it and bringing it along) heated up and over the course of the day the water inside became drat near undrinkable from the lining leaching off into the water. The thing tasted like chemical runoff, and even subsequent fills didn't improve the flavor much. It's not any exposure to anything toxic I'm worried about, just the dogshit taste. The whole BPA concern in water bottles is kinda funny though, since the thermal paper used for receipts actually uses the active form of BPA, and frequently handling receipts will actually cause BPA to show up in your bloodstream whereas it's just really not so much an issue on water bottles.

I'm sure higher quality bladders don't have this issue, and maybe it was a one-off thing, but it was a truly repugnant experience. Plus I've never had any issues with water bottles rupturing if they freeze, and they take a whole heck of a lot longer to freeze since they have a greater thermal mass that's concentrated in the bottle instead of a narrow exposed neck with weak connections. Winter backpacking is my absolute favorite time to go, and I've been out backpacking down to -7* F and never had any issues with leaky water bottles.

Absolutely--Obsessing over kit is one of the best parts. It's incredibly satisfying to find something that just works great out in the backcountry, to just have that feeling that you can take care of yourself. I especially love finding edible plants and fruits, because you can just absolutely feast if you're in the right place and time of the year, like right now with PawPaws.

Which speaking of the food, absolutely bring that hot chocolate or s'mores or some other treat with you--it hardly weighs anything and it's an awesome endcap to the day. I usually bring a couple packets of hot chocolate for a nice hot drink before bed in the wintertime :)

I used to cook a lot more but I hate cleaning and sterilizing dishes while backpacking, so I've mostly just switched over to Packit Gourmet because it's a hell of a lot more convenient, and just tastes drat good, especially for freeze dried meals. Plus they have a bunch of meals that you don't even have to boil water for, like the Kickin Chicken Hot Wings Wrap, which just rehydrates with cold water and is loving awesome for a quick and easy lunch.

Puffy jackets are hands down the way to go--I just picked up a thermoball hooded jacket, and it's been surprisingly great on the few trips I've taken it on, including my recent one out to Colorado. It even stayed warm in a whole days worth of drenching cold rain, which is about all I could hope for. It's nowhere near as warm as my Wiggy's sweater, but it's a good mid layer or spring/fall jacket.

Shachi posted:

I'm going to look more into this cumulative R value thing. A cheapish 1.5 R value inflatable for the comfort/small pack size/weight advantages coupled with a decent 20 degree mummy bag seems like it would be ok. Add in a cheap Z-line which I think they are rated at 3 something youd be sitting on a 4 or 5 R value platform no? The downside of course being having to haul a pad in addition to your inflatable.

Levitate posted:

I'd rather just spend more on a good inflatable than a cheaper one and also a CCF pad just to get the r value up

Before I switched to hammocks, this is exactly what I did for winter camping. It absolutely sucked though, because the pads kept slip sliding off one another so inevitably a leg or something would wind up with crap insulation or roll off onto the ground, waking me up in the middle of the night to readjust everything. You could probably jerry rig something with velcro, but if I were you I'd rather just buy a good inflatable with R-Value ~3-4 and you'll be good for three seasons without having to gently caress around with multiple mismatched pads. Another thought, someone mentioned Big Agnes earlier, and they have a bag with a pad that slides into a bottom pocket, so you save weight not having worthless bottom insulation on the sleeping bag, and your pad stays under you. Seems like a really clever idea, if I were starting over on the ground, I'd probably go with that honestly. Sleeping outdoors is my favorite part of backpacking, so I'd rather spend a bit extra upfront and be comfortable rather than cold and miserable.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^thanks Moldy Frog! I'm putting that in the OP

blue squares posted:

I'm having a tough time finding a good resource online for understanding how to pick a single method of cooking and the types of foods I should prepare and bring for wilderness backpacking. Maybe I need a good YouTube series on backcountry cooking? Anyone know one?

Moldy Frog and everyone else have a bunch of really great suggestions--especially the hard cheeses, crackers, and meats. Those absolutely hit the spot and are great to share. Tortillas are awesome because, hey, no dishes-you can eat the plate!

And speaking of no dishes, there's a company in India that just blew up on Kickstarter that are making edible spoons, called something like Bakies. My buddy got a bunch on the Kickstarter, and I've tried them and they're actually really awesome! They actually work and don't taste half bad! Sadly they're so backlogged they're only serving the Indian market at the moment.

I'm really lazy and I absolutely love Packit Gourmet for awesome dehydrated meals, because all I want to do anymore is boil water. Their recipes are phenomenal, the clean up and trash is easy and self contained because they double bag it, the price is cheaper than mountain house, portions are just right, and the cook in cozy is worth it's weight in gold. Plus! Their recipes require very little water to rehydrate, which is great if water is scarce at camp, and a bunch of them rehydrate with cold water! Zero cooking required for something like a delicious hot wings chicken wrap for lunch. I absolutely cannot recommend these guys highly enough-Packit Gourmet is just tits.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

pointsofdata posted:

I've always found that I've got such a big appetite when outdoors that this is rarely a problem with boil in the bag type solutions, and if one is not enough rather than making more at the same time it's normally possible to fit an extra meal in.

Weirdly enough, I'm a lot less hungry when I backpack, I think because I'm not getting the constant reminders to eat and advertising for delicious looking meals thrown in my face.

We actually had a bear rooting around camp last weekend in Dolly Sods, because someone spilled a few bites of their dinner on the ground and didn't bother to clean it up. My buddy awoke to snuffling and snorting right outside his tent, so he blasted an alarm on his phone, and sure enough, when everyone woke up, the ground was dug up right where we all ate and there were paw prints and berry-laden bear scat nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

This is so amazing, I can't stop laughing... Forget lactose intolerance and IBS, there's a new excuse in town

Verman posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure I could eat anything with a tortilla. Peanut butter, hummus, honey, beans and rice, tortilla soup (using the tortilla as an edible spoon/sponge), quesadillas, burritos etc.
Oh man, how have I not thought of tortilla wrap dessert? Like cream cheese, chocolate, peanut butter, banana, honey, maybe some peanuts or dried cranberries or something.... Hmm...