Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Rockies are beautiful. The Ozarks are beautiful. The Appalachians are beautiful. They are also all mountains.

Who cares if one is taller than the other? Plus, the Appalachians were as tall as the Rockies. They're just older and have eroded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Fart City posted:

Holy Jesus we got a handshake feud goin on.

I'm waiting for some foreign leader to just lean into it and knock Trump on his rear end.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the GOP is hosed in the future. sure they have some alt right dipshits, but those they have no class or charisma and are basically the college republican. trumps win feels like a last roll of the dice and the GOP got lucky he pretended to be a populist and it pushed off their implosion for a couple years, maybe a decade. the DNC is probaly gonna imploade as well but they have a better chance at rebuilding.

We're probably overdue for a political realignment.

Can we switch names when it happens? I wanna be a Whig.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

But he was okay with [insert Texas city] having large industrial incident?

Perry strikes me as the kind of simpleton that knows he has to rely on those around him.

In Texas, he got surrounded by whoever the Republican Party told him to use, so things went poorly.

At the DoE, he's surrounded by career staffers who care about their agency's mission, so things will go well.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Orchestrated Mess posted:

Hope I didn't miss someone already posting this, but...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/336683-eric-trump-dems-not-even-people

Cutting healthcare of 23 million people makes you a compassionate human with a message, though. We deserve better than this! :patriot:

Yes, because the democrats are the ones that passed an unworkable healthcare bill in the House, that was then routinely ignored by the Senate democrats.

Idiocy runs in the family, apparently.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

boner confessor posted:

times were different back then but warren harding's sex letters to his mistress will never not be hilarious

*"Jerry" is the pet nickname Warring Harding, 29th POTUS, gave to his penis
** dream as used here is a euphemism for jerkin' it

A most excellent name / post combo.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That twitter profile creeps me out. Probably because it is exactly what happens when middle-aged marketers try to talk like adolescents.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Jesus Christ. He tried to do everything right. He didn't succeed every time, and he hosed up sometimes (a lot?) with some huge blindspots, but you could tell he tried and he cared.

4%.

Being black in America.

While I agree that being black in America is terrible, that comparison is misleading. A president's popularity tends to increase over time after they leave office. Chances are that Obama's popularity will increase substantially over the next 8 years.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This seems like a very misguided attempt to keep republicans from campaigning against him.

For reasons that should be obvious to everyone, including him, it won't work.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Aves Maria! posted:

If HuffPo's aggregates are to be believed, she polls just 1% worse than Paul Ryan. By contrast, however, her favorables have been flat for the last few years while Ryan's have been getting much, much worse in the last year.

Well ya. He's in power right now, and people are seeing what a poo poo job he's doing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It would be nice if Preet primaries' Cuomo.

If a dem takes the WH in 2020, I'd like to see him appointed as AG.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lid posted:

He confessed to raping his sister but drat it he was so open about it you gotta give him a standing ovation

It wasn't rape, but something pretty close happened in Utah:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35852756/ns/politics-more_politics/t/utah-lawmaker-resigns-after-hot-tub-confession/

For those not inclined to read, lawmaker admits to paying a woman to keep quiet about their nude hot tub adventures when she was 14. Gets a standing ovation from the legislature for his "honesty."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

AhhYes posted:

I just can't shake the feeling that this is all too perfect. Like, there's one of two possibilities I see:

1. They really are that dumb/unaware of the potential consequences, or

2. They know something we don't that will somehow make this impotent.

I can't think of anything that would make #2 true, but I can't shake the feeling.

#2 will end up being true because Russia probably has a poo poo-ton of blackmail material on all of the GOP leadership.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

"Religious mountain folk"... the mountainous areas of the United States are quite secular.

And Mark Meadows district is thousands of miles away from any mountains.

I was going to say something about this, but your red text told me all I need to know.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Nixon was a bit odd like that. Some people close to him felt that Nixon's politics were surprisingly liberal... when he was sober. When he'd been drinking though, he passed right through conservative and landed at paranoid authoritarian. His drinking problem got worse and worse as his presidency went on, and we know how that ended.

I had a college professor that worked in the Nixon white house. One on one, Nixon was very personable, and absolutely adored children. This was a comms class, so he would note the differences between his own experiences and the media narratives of Nixon.

He never once defended Watergate, though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I like Chick-Fil-A more than McDonalds. For fast food, I generally prefer chicken sandwiches to hamburgers. At a decent sit-down restaurant, that preference switches. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Americans Humans aren't a people of facts and logic. They are tribalist, violent and angry at anything that disagrees with them, especially reality.

Let's not pretend that this issue is unique to Americans.

sudo rm -rf posted:

why is the president surrounded by gibson guitars?

Gibson still has a factory in Memphis, TN.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mike Lee is worthless, and almost certainly opposes the bill because it isn't cruel enough, but his "no" vote is still technically the correct vote.

This increases my opinion of him from "hot soggy turd" to "tepid soggy turd."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Your Taint posted:

However, Curious George is a pretty good PBS kids show. Probably the best one they have.

Easily the best cartoon they currently show.

Nature Cat is easily the worst.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't know if it's already been posted, but the Washington Post had a story about the Murkowski miscalculation.

This Murkowski bit is perhaps my favorite part of this whole mess. It proves that not only is the white house full of amateurs, it's full of really, really stupid amateurs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

yeah, the gerrymander was broader and more effective

if dems retake control of the government in 2020 the first thing they should do is immediately ban gerrymandering (which congress has the power to do). i'm worried though that there will be just enough representatives from NY/California/etc who might owe their seats to democratic gerrymandering to make it impossible

or, lock in a pro-democratic gerrymander for a decade i suppose, that is good too

Lock it in, and then ban it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My grandpa was on a submarine and then on a battleship in the pacific during ww2. He stole an army jeep for his ship captain to take home.

He was headed to Japan when the war ended. He rarely talked about it. The rare times he did he'd talk about how you could see ships all along the horizon. He saw the bomb as a horrible but necessary event that probably kept him, and all those others, alive.

Also, much to my grandmother's dismay, he taught me a lot of dirty sailor songs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

A friend of mine died in a ski accident back in 1999. I still visit her grave twice a year: once on her birthday and once on the day she died. I don't get "broke brains" about it, but it's a nice way for me to remember somebody that meant a lot to me. I consider it a way of celebrating her life. Also, she died on March 15, so I make a lot of perverse "Ides of March" jokes.

The perversion of the 9/11 ceremonies is that they have nothing to do with remembering or celebrating the victims. It's the political equivalent of wearing an American flag lapel pin. Politicians are effectively required to mourn to show how patriotic they are.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just a reminder that Senator Kid Rock and Senator Mitt Romney will be negotiating with President Donald Trump in 2019.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/907233581763907590

I still won't vote for him (I throw my Utah vote away every year by pressing the "straight D" button), but I'm curious which version of Mitt would come out in a state election.

He'd still vote the party line, regardless.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not convinced he's trolling.

Some people - millions of people actually, judging by exit poll numbers - really are that dumb.

My brother's father-in-law believes that Trump has already reduced his taxes.

Some people (especially financially-illiterate baby boomer racists who get all their information from Fox News) are really, really dumb.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Easy couple of million for any teenager willing to take a knee.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

i dont think we're going to get gun hoarding classified as a mental illness that is the basis to take away your guns so that is probably true. the regulation the vegas shooter shows is badly needed is regulations (a) strictly prohibiting and criminalizing the possession or distribution of modifications to make a semiautomatic fully automatic and (b) barring the manufacture of weapons that can be trivially modified to fire automatically or effectively automatically

basically, the bump stock loophole needs to be closed and the "you break this pin here to make it full auto but it's illegal wink wink know what i mean know what i mean"

It reflects very poorly on the us that we have to discuss this in terms of ways to simply reduce the number of people killed, rather than trying to eliminating the mass murders.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Colin Mockery posted:

Oh man, what a coincidence, I'm also concerned about boys' and young men's relationships to their masculinity and how cultural expectations might make them feel as if they aren't sufficiently masculine or feel forced to change how they express themselves in a way that causes them emotional harm!

Have you watched The Mask You Live In yet? It's a great documentary about this exact subject and it's available on Netflix!

You know what else I like that talks about boys and their relationship to masculinity and how to be a good role model so that boys feel confident, safe, and happy in relation to their masculinity?

The Good Men Project

I don't actually read it that often because it turns out I don't actually care about kids that much, but it sounds like something you might be really interested in! Have you tried volunteering for things like Big Brothers Big Sisters? That's a good way to try and model good behavior and help kids grow up happy and supported too!

I'm so glad you care about dismantling the harmful expectations put on young men as they grow up, and about providing them with ample examples of how men can express their masculinity in ways that are healthy and honest.

But really, it's a good documentary and it really is on Netflix.

Ooh, I'm going to watch that. My son just turned 13, and teaching him to "be a man" is the scariest thing I can think of.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I applaud good actions even if they're from terrible people, because goddamn we really need some good actions from people with influence. I won't applaud the shitbag, but I will applaud the action.

"Reckless, outrageous, and undignified behavior has become excused and countenanced as "telling it like it is," when it is actually just reckless, outrageous, and undignified."

His cousin, Gordon Flake, is a really cool guy, though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I saw an ad for IBM that was touting blockchain tracking of individual pieces of fruit during shipment.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Chaffetz or Romney.

Chaffetz supposedly wants to be governor. And, because Utah is a broken place full of stupid people, he will likely win.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Never be alone with any women you don't call "mother"

It's a little kinky, but I can make that work.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Republicans helping the poor. WTF

Mike Lee isn't doing it to help the poor. He's doing it to retain the votes of large Mormon families in Utah.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I mean, Mitt has horrible views and is insanely out of touch, but he's not Hatch.

I honestly think Mitt could win a primary challenge, provided the terrible Utah GOP didn't intentionally screw him over.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

skylined! posted:

i don't think a single person in washington expects trump to make it to november 2018

sidenote:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/937705566511812608

Prior to the 2016 election, I considered switching from Democrat to Independent because I was unhappy with the direction that party was headed. I still would have voted straight D, even if doing so is a throwaway vote here in suburban Utah.

After this year of Republican control? Ya, no chance in hell I'm doing anything that can be interpreted as remotely approving of the Republican party. Even declaring myself Independent wouldn't be enough of a stand against these morons.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

curling is great too, the winter olympics in general are more enjoyable to me because there is a greater variety in the actual content in the sports. Hockey, curling, bobsled and luge, figure skating, skiing, etc etc

The Summer Olympics have a huge variety too. You would just never know it watching NBC's coverage.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Your Taint posted:

So, uh, the WH fully admits they damaged the Mideast peace process in order to fulfil a dumb campaign promise.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/jerusalem-peace-process-white-house/index.html

"His decision wasn't meant to help (the peace team). It was meant to do what he chose to do, but it was also meant to respect his other goal which is to reach a historic peace agreement," one senior White House official said.

How... how do you say that with a straight face?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Living overseas and having to communicate while barely speaking the local language changes you.

Having to learn to adapt with different ways of doing things, because the locals certainly aren't going to change for you, changes you.

Learning to participate and fit in with a different culture changes you.

Seeing the Tower of Pisa? Ya, that kind of tourism doesn't do squat.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rogue One gave us the Vader scene at the end, which is the only scene that really showed why people respected/feared the Jedi. They're kind of wet noodles in all the other movies.

As long as I get a few memorable scenes like that in every movie, I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

dbukalski posted:

what scene was that?

Very end when he shows up in the dark hallway and murders everyone. It did a better job of showing why Vader was feared than anything in the OT.

• Locked thread