Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can't read the tea leaves if everyone is drinking coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

I saw an anti "Hanoi Jane" bumper sticker last week. I seriously can't imagine why somebody still cares.

My wife was at a family thing a month or so back & was telling her mom about Frankie & Grace. Apparently that triggered her step father who went on to rage about Jane Fonda for the rest of the afternoon. He flew A1s in Vietnam, so at least it wasn't some Ted Nugent (pants) poo poo(ting), but my wife came home really confused why it still mattered.

highme
May 25, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

What ingredients could one use to make a coal-themed cocktail? I would call it "The Slurry."

Everclear, Kahlua & activated charcoal

edit: added Kahlua

highme
May 25, 2001

Kekekela posted:

Saw Hosoi, Cabellero et al killing it there in 85

:respek:

highme
May 25, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

The best mountain is Mount Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas:

(Kansas, though flat, gradually slopes down to the east, so the "highest point" is an otherwise unremarkable spot near the western border.)

We moved from Colorado to southwest Kansas when I was going into 3rd grade. As smug mountain folk we mocked Mt Sunflower relentlessly, though never actually visited it. It's even sadder than I imagined.

highme
May 25, 2001

Not trying to whitewash Oregon's horrible history regarding race or how lovely this move is. But the Multnomah county Republican party has very little influence on local politics. That whole "I don't care as long as it triggers demonrats" thing is pretty much all they have.

An attention seeking shitbird in the wealthiest suburb of Portland essentially got ran out of town (not according to him obvs) http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/03/2...ow-deplorables/

highme
May 25, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm not very familiar with Oregon's history, but maybe you shouldn't weigh in on the reason for banning black people from the state if you're just guessing...

Black Americans apparently couldn't even move to the state until 1926.

Yeah, just like the geography of US he has no idea what he's talking about. Oregon was originated as a white homeland. Oregon didn't ban slavery because slavery was bad, it was because if you don't have slaves, you don't have black people.

And the Coon Chicken Inn was an actual place, not just a postcard.

highme
May 25, 2001

HPanda posted:

Oregon's history is pretty racist, but about on par with the rest of the country.

Absolutely, white supremacy has been the law of the land as long as we've been a nation. Oregon, and the rest of the non southern states aren't immune to that history.

Glowing-fish, I can see you sent a PM, but when trying to read it I'm getting network errors. I am currently phone posting from happy hour with my wife and a dying battery, I'll hit you up at some point tonight.

highme
May 25, 2001

This is mildly unsettling.

https://twitter.com/DandelionDollar/status/882411181398343680

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/884267164336766976

highme
May 25, 2001

On Terra Firma posted:

Oh poo poo. Not every day I see a friend of mine posted in here. He's a good person to follow. Works to track dark money in politics and is really really good at it.

I clicked that link and was surprised to see "Follows You", like I had to double check I wasn't looking at a screenshot (I'm high, it made sense for a minute). Apparently he started following me yesterday.

Also

https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/884916783013953536

highme
May 25, 2001

Switch Carvey from there w/ Edward James Olmos here

And we'll have this...

Evil Fluffy posted:

This motherfucker needs to spend the rest of his (what would be a very short) life as part of the genpop in a private prison.

highme
May 25, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

what's this from, stand and deliver?

American Me

highme
May 25, 2001

It's this guy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

highme
May 25, 2001

Skex posted:

lots of words & effort

Our guy, Glowing-fish, broke the 4th wall recently. Just ignore his schtick.

glowing-fish posted:

There are so many cliches in American politics, like "Fly Over States" and "Red States", where people from places like Connecticut just lump West Virginia and Utah together, that I wondered what would happen if I just did the opposite.

People who had been repeating stereotypes and cliches for a decade about how Indiana and Arizona are basically the same were shocked by the geographic ignorance of someone saying that Pennsylvania and New York were a lot alike.

Most of the Republican Party's power base is in suburban/exurban areas. People assume that places like Montana look like Appalachia, when there are several demographic ways that that is the opposite of true.

Someone who has never seen a frontier area, someone who has never seen a wilderness area, someone who has never been in a place where it is a day's drive to a metropolitan area, can't understand what places like that are. They just file them under "West Virginia", even though parts of West Virginia are actually part of the Washington, DC Metro.

I am just reversing decades of stereotypes, being more accurate about it, and it drives people crazy.

M&Ms are great though.

highme
May 25, 2001

Buca di Bepis posted:

That post is dumber than if he had just been sincere in the first place

Right? Speaking for the rest of the Western-Americans, we don't claim him either.

highme
May 25, 2001

Surprise Treason Meeting Guest Power Rankings:
1) Sessions
2) Reince
3) DJTs friend "Jim"
4) John Miller

highme
May 25, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

I just did a quick Google and learned that there is approximately $1.5 billion in $2 bills still currently in circulation. That's magical.

Casa Diablo, the Portland strip club notorious for being A) vegan & B) the place where the stripper that Corey Booker befriended on Twitter works, only gives $2 bills for change.

highme
May 25, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

Until we logged into their system and paid that fifty loving cents we got calls and emails every. loving. day. For fifty cents.

My wife has gotten one or two calls a week for the last two years from my daughter's high school because her lunch balance is low. It's always been $0 and my daughter has not once eaten lunch on campus.

highme
May 25, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

Edit: Also if there's one thing that's worse than white southern poor folks it's white southern middle class folks in the suburbs who like to act like rednecks on the weekend before going back to their insurance jobs.

Absolutely, suburban*/exurban residents (regardless of region) are a big part of Trump's base. The insinuation that if you live on an acre sized lot "in the country" you're a rural voter is a thing that glowing-fish does get right​. The "Mountain States are secular" thing on the other hand...

Also, I have an aunt and uncle who retired to the mountains of West Virginia. So instead of being 2 of a handful of pinko commies in western Nebraska, now they're 2 of a handful of pinko commies in WV.

poo poo forgot I included that *: suburbs have been transitioning to a poorer demographic the past 10-15 years as wealthier folks are moving back to Urban cores.

highme fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 15, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

there's a hot-take... everyone seems to like PPJ's twitter curation up in this thread.

Can we ban people that make blanket requests on banning people?

Starting with the next guy of course.

highme
May 25, 2001

I haven't been able to keep up with real time happenings this week, but just told my daughter about the 3 week vacay. She looked at me quizzacally and said "but...what has he been doing?"

highme
May 25, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

i live in seattle

I think you'll find that since you're not a rugged individual from the mountains of Montana that your really live in the Pacific Northwest of the East Coast.

highme
May 25, 2001

PT6A posted:

I mean, you can't look at this White House and tell me there aren't some weird sexual neuroses behind a lot of this crap.

So?

highme
May 25, 2001

WeAreTheRomans posted:

gently caress I get paid well and I still spend half the day just browsing Trump threads and listening to podcasts. Just lol at working for no money

Not an empty quote.

Though podcast listening can happen while I'm actively working or loving off.

highme
May 25, 2001

Koalas March posted:

This is a good post. I agree.

Anyway, I apologize to everyone if I am communicating my thoughts/ideas/opinions inefficiently. I just started a new medication and it's making me quite scatterbrained and therefore ineloquent! I am trying my best. :shobon:

Don't worry about it, you're perfectly coherent.

highme
May 25, 2001

Petr posted:

Wasn't CE created in the early Bush presidency?

Yes, right after 9/11.

Doctor Butts posted:

I dunno. I might have my timing wrong. Admittedly, it could be hazy because I went through some viewpoint changes early in the Bush presidency, and it just seemed like the rest of the board followed suit.

For me, I had always been liberal. However, I was willing to believe that although Bush was a dumb bad President, there was still competency and decency somewhere in the administration. So, I thought toughening up against Iraq was a good idea- even to the brink of attack.

But, that all changed when Powell went before the U.N. and gave the loudest wettest fart of a case before the world on why we have to intervene in Iraq.

It all snowballed from there.

Yeah, I was fairly liberal but gave the Bush admin an excessive benefit of the doubt. I was mostly resigned to them attacking Iraq regardless of protests, but I also remembered Desert Shield/Storm and thought planes blowing poo poo up was cool. That's still the case in dumb movies & TV shows, but I've been sickened by our body count since then.

The biggest thing I remember that drove D&D to a more liberal bend was the fact that discourse was held to a higher standard here. You couldn't get away with making fantastical claims without sources. As Colbert or Stewart said "reality has a liberal bias".

highme
May 25, 2001

Xae posted:

Good ole fashioned circle jerking had a huge part in it.

You're absolutely correct.

I came though, so I really have no complaints.

highme
May 25, 2001

This is pretty accurate as far as I can remember. I reg'd in May 2001 because of the Photoshop Garfield thread. I was on Anandtech, Ars & UGHH.com before that, but after finding SA I had no need for Anandtech or Ars.

highme
May 25, 2001

Quabzor posted:

What other online games have goons changed ruined?

Habbo Hotel
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/278726-habbo-hotel
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/90077
http://www.oocities.org/genofacts/

highme
May 25, 2001

Trying not to break our collective arms in this derail.

highme
May 25, 2001

Fangz posted:

Christ, do we have to turn every random dumb statement on twitter into another civil war?

Fangz posted:

We need to reconcile ourselves to the fact that people on the same side as us are going to have dumb views and make dumb statements and not reflexively make a deal of this.

All I see are people laughing at a corn cob.

highme
May 25, 2001

Dejawesp posted:

What I don't get about the Trump cabinet is all the lovely choices. As the Republican party candidate. Shouldn't the party be able to provide him with a huge rooster of experience politicians for these posts?

Any cock with any form of upward trajectory likely sat this administration out.

highme
May 25, 2001

Koalas March posted:

My grandma listened to s lot of John Denver. I also had to sing Country Roads in choir, so I guess I kinda like that song. :3:

From pages back, but you've heard this version right? https://youtu.be/lQFKMar4x-w

My dad has good memories of he and I singing that in our truck on my grandparents Colorado farm when I was a toddler.

highme
May 25, 2001

I know this guy is just a level or two below Mensch, but this seems like something Trump's & his legal team might try...

https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/895023286819708928

highme
May 25, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He used the third biggest bomb ever used in combat in the history of the human race on syria then did nothing much else ever again and everyone loved that, his plan is to do that again on north korea.

The MOAB was dropped in Afghanistan, but that doesn't invalidate the rest of your post.

highme
May 25, 2001

Office Pig posted:

I hate Mondays.

Kale would like us to not engage in "identity politics", thanks for your compliance.

highme
May 25, 2001

KickerOfMice posted:

:stare:

Of loving course they are hoisting torches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuR_ALpzG9s

https://twitter.com/GVAJr77/status/896229179116601344

highme
May 25, 2001

Sinteres posted:

Gee I can't imagine why people end up falling in with the moronic white identitarian crowd.

Because they're fragile as gently caress, just like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Sinteres posted:

It's weird how everyone but me keeps talking about my feelings instead of the Nazis, while screaming that the Nazis are more important. I agree, so let's stop talking about my feelings which I never brought up.

It's because you're the fragile gently caress in front of us. Also, you didn't have to bring up your feelings, they're on full display.

• Locked thread