Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

gently caress the warriors

:lol:

Also, they made IT, Carmelo and some others into Quasimodo hunchbacks.

zoux posted:

What's the league's rationale for moving the awards announcement to the end of June, because to me it seems stupid.

In one word: GREED.

mastershakeman posted:

Has any player besides Durant won a finals MVP immediately after switching teams, either via free agency or trade?

Magic Johnson technically switched teams too in 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ammanas posted:

what are they gonna do with oracle when the warriors move to their stupidass downtown SF stadium

Turn it into a giant megachurch like they did with the Compaq Center. Mark Jackson can run it.

KD put up the best finals performance by minute since at least 1974:

code:
GmSc/48	Player			Year
36.6	Kevin Durant		2017
34.8	Shaquille O'Neal	2002
34.5	Magic Johnson		1987
33.3	LeBron James		2017
32.2	Shaquille O'Neal	2000
32.0	Michael Jordan		1991
31.1	Michael Jordan		1993
30.6	Stephen Curry		2017
30.5	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1980
30.5	LeBron James		2016
29.3	Shaquille O'Neal	2001
29.3	Michael Jordan		1992
29.3	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1985
29.2	Joe Dumars		1989
28.6	LeBron James		2014
LBJ fourth best and Curry in eighth. Very elite finals performances.

Jack's Flow posted:

I've been talking about that with a friend, and yeah, I could see him talking a (much) smaller role in the organization. I am not ready for the Mike Brown era though.

I am ready for the Mike Brown dynasty. GSW wins seventy games each year and Mike Brown laughs like this each time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPb2nZPxffU&t=20s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

from what i've seen of him he's an above average SF who can go off for a lot of points. but i'm not even sold on him being a top 10 SF or if he is, he's right around there.

but maybe i'm really wrong. :shrug:

i really don't know and i'm sure him and stevens would be fun to watch together, but i don't know if that moves the needle in boston.

He's been one of the better scoring SFs over the last three years. Amazingly the #2 scoring SF in 2015 behind only LBJ. The thing that moves the needle in BOS is if LBJ goes there. Or importing a LOT of talent from the west.

Ammanas posted:

A good center plus Jimmy Butler and, assuming IT comes back from surgery in top form, that's finally competition for Cavs

DeimosRising posted:

I feel like you're gigantically overestimating the Cavs as they exist right now if you think "A Good Center"/Horford/Hayward/Butler/Thomas is just "competition" for them. I don't know what a Good Center means exactly but that's a lot better than the Cavs were this year.

What twilight zone thread am I in, are you guys just totally unfamiliar with Jimmy Butler? He went for 23.9/6.2/5.5 and 1.9 steals on .586 TS%, including .367 on 3.3 threes a game so despite his rep he has at least Lebron esque range, racking up 13.8 WS at a .236/48 pace, all on a mediocre team that played at the 20th pace in the league.

In a series against the Cavs he's the second best player on the court and not by a narrow margin. He was a great defender when he was on good teams that didn't need him to pour all his energy into offense, too. He'd be murderous on the Celitcs.

LBJ is still underrated and underappreciated. Consider how much coasting the Cavaliers did in the regular season. Yea, these superteams would win against CLE in the regular season but LBJ will dismantle some team with a "good center" along with IT/Butler.

The notion that one can throw a bunch of guys with good numbers together and defeat LBJ in the playoffs. It isn't true. The 2017 finals was good evidence of that considering two elite MVPs (unlike anything found in the EC) were still threatened by LBJ. The 2004 Olympics was also excellent evidence to the same end.

:911: forget that 49 point quarter.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The gently caress? What kind of dumbass revisionist history is Lebron James and Kevin Durant not being positive contributors during their rookie years?

Durant earned 2.3 win shares despite being played out of position and Lebron had like a Vorp of 3 and winshares above 5.

LBJ was a negative scorer his initial year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

predicto posted:

Yep. IT is an inspirational guy who can score, but it's not enough. If you can cash him in for a defensive big and replace him with Fultz in the starting rotation, your team defense immediately improves by leaps and bounds even though Fultz won't be very good as a rookie. Sign in Hayward to pick up some of IT's scoring slack. Trade a bunch of chips for Jimmy Butler. Now you are really creating something scary.

LBJ is just straight up laughing at a trio of Hayward, Butler and Fultz.

Niwrad posted:

Paul George is a better player than Kevin Love. He can guard the best wing which won't wear Lebron out as much. He makes their defense immensely better (which was their biggest issue).

Lebron has to play the 4 against Golden State anyways who is the only team that matters to Cleveland. That team with George matches up much better.

Counterintuitively, PG13 seems to be simultaneously deteriorating and gaining more stature as some defensive juggernaut.

A -.3 DBPM this last season leaves a lot to be desired.

Niwrad posted:

I officially did not renew my Bulls tickets today. The sales person sounded pretty desperate so I'm guessing season ticket sales are way down. I did say I would renew if they fired GarPax which she thought was me making a joke.

:discourse:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Catching up on the last 30+ pages...

pubic works project posted:

Well what's the one better for Cle? TT for PG or Love? Wouldn't Love have to play the 5 if they ship off TT?

The Cavaliers NEED to acquire Giannis Antetokounmpo and Rudy Gobert STAT. Then they can lose in the 2018 finals with dignity.

Eltoasto posted:

Love has been absolute garbage against the Warriors the last 2 years...

He was very bad in 2016 but this finals he was basically average.

EvanTH posted:

He was the second or third best player on the Cavs last year when they beat the Warriors! He's 1-1 in serieses against the Warriors how is that absolute garbage!!!

Look at his 2016 finals game logs. They're awful.

EvanTH posted:

Also I was thinking about that BruhReport LeBron > Jordan rant and the part where the ranting dude accidentally calls Michael Jordan "Michael Jackson" and how it was a sensible mistake because back then Magic Johnson Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson were working on some kinda convergent path, and Jordan's Marketing was so far beyond LeBron's marketing it's not even a discussion

Also, Marques Johnson is completely forgotten despite being an elite player.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My favorite Paul George thing was always seeing that dumb Gatorade/whatever drink commercial during the playoffs while the pacers were totally eliminated and he wasn't doing anything noteworthy
"GAME."

Yea, eliminated for 2+ months and still playing his odd commercials.

Ammanas posted:

If you could threaten Andre Drummond with being sent to a D-league team unless he shoots

his free throws underhand, do you think he would?

Yes.

DeimosRising posted:

It's interesting seeing the canonization of Lebron James in real time. Suddenly he's this Jordanesque mythic figure, who loses on purpose, his bad teams are secretly good, never struggles or loses in the playoffs unless faced with a miraculous super team, and so on.

He's earned it. He's fulfilling his destiny and racking up the accolades toward possibly being confirmed as the undisputed GOAT in seven or eight years (if he remains healthy). He's beyond Jordan in most respects at this point. There's nothing mythic about it either. We have 100% of the game footage. We have tons of extremely detailed stats. Contrasting a little with Wilt where we don't have full box scores and all the game footage. LBJ was bestowed with kingly honors before even stepping onto an NBA court. Imagine the pressure.

Seven straight finals appearances with two different franchises and still you doubt. Also, LBJ has shaved his head. Nobody else in NBA history could probably pull off what he's done. He's coming off his greatest finals performance too.

ex post facho posted:

i meant in terms of relegation of clearly less competitive teams to their own "G league", i mean as everyone's talking about why waste everyone's time with the facade of a competitive league when (apparently) parity isn't important in the NBA?

Parity doesn't exist in the MLB, NHL or NFL either.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

why would you attack NOL seafood when sf has the same crap but 10x more expensive. those wharf prices were disgusting.

predicto posted:

Hot Tip - Fisherman's Wharf has no purpose other than rooking tourists. SF is chock full of amazing food, but none of it is found at the Wharf, and people who live in SF literally never go to the Wharf ever, unless they are taking Grandma down to catch the ferry to Alcatraz (Alcatraz rocks - Alcatraz and the awesome Musee Mechanique (http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/) are the only reason ever to go near the Wharf).

I did this because I love lovely derails and please note that I didn't poo poo on any other cities while I fellated my own City.

I liked how some scientists did some DNA tests on fish in many restaurants and found that all the restaurants were lying but no connoisseur would know the difference. They don't know they're eating the cheap swai fish.

EvanTH posted:

Same era a bunch of local Moms organized to have me kicked out of preschool because they figured every hemophiliac had AIDS like Ryan White (and for the most part we did thanks Bayer but still wtf I ain't never been HIV+ and even if I was I probably wasn't going to gently caress the other kids)

New thread title candidate.

DeimosRising posted:

The point is he's not some transcendent superhuman who can't lose. He loses all the time.

Nobody ever went that far.

DeimosRising posted:

He struggled, with better teams by far than this Cavs team, against the Paul George/Roy Hibbert Pacers and the Big 3 Celtics at a stage when they were actually visibly decaying into animated skeletons on the court. He lost to a Dallas team no one gave a shot to, but in retrospect they were either really good and we all knew that or they only won because Lebron tricked himself into losing by being the bad guy but his love of justice is so great he can't let villains win???

LBJ is not a deity or a demigod. He lost to a fully qualified title contender in 2011. The media were confused that year and did not pay attention to the numbers very much. LBJ sometimes throws a game for kicks though.

EMC posted:

Is it just me or has PG gone from underrated earlier in his career to fairly overrated now? Maybe it is more an aesthetic thing for me because I kind of hate watching him play compared to a heap of other wings

By the numbers always overrated.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ammanas posted:

You know if it weren't for the cavaliers going nuclear/being gifted 22 free throws in 11 minutes we would all be looking at this finals entirely differently. Over time I think the 2017 warriors win will be viewed as essentially inevitable

That's true for many. But I take referee manipulation into account as well (favoring the underdog team). LBJ is so versatile that he has a big advantage there in that he can change his game on the fly like nobody else in NBA history. It can be very advantageous in close games. e.g. Imagine IT or Fultz doing G7 chase down blocks. Imagine IT or Fultz shutting down 99.9% of players on the court (excluding KD). It's pure fiction.

Most here knew (in the last off-season poll) what was destined to happen:

code:
Select the Finals loser:

Votes	Percentage
Cavaliers	67	62.6%
Warriors	23	21.5%
Spurs		7	6.5%
Celtics		3	2.8%
Thunder		3	2.8%
Clippers	1	0.93%
Hornets		1	0.93%
Pacers		1	0.93%
Raptors		1	0.93%

Select the Finals winner:

Votes	Percentage
Warriors	57	53.3%
Cavaliers	31	29.0%
Spurs		8	7.5%
Thunder		6	5.6%
Celtics		1	0.93%
Clippers	1	0.93%
Knicks		1	0.93%
Raptors		1	0.93%
Wizards		1	0.93%

DeimosRising posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about with the Olympics, Lebron got bronze that year because he had a dumb coach and bad roster composition, I don't know how that supports the notion that putting together a good team won't beat the Cavs?

Because the notion that one can combine good players like an alchemist and defeat LBJ (or another elite player with a cohesive unit) is not always true.

This team beat the USA team:
Carlos Delfino
Gabriel Fernández
Emanuel Ginóbili
Leonardo Gutiérrez
Walter Herrmann
Alejandro Montecchia
Andrés Nocioni
Fabricio Oberto
Juan Ignacio Sánchez
Luis Scola
Hugo Sconochini
Rubén Wolkowyski

This team finished better than the USA team:
Roberto Chiacig
Luca Garri
Denis Marconato
Giacomo Galanda
Nikola Radulović
Alex Righetti
Matteo Soragna
Gianluca Basile
Massimo Bulleri
Gianmarco Pozzecco
Michele Mian
Rodolfo Rombaldoni

Throwing random players together doesn't always work:
Allen Iverson
Stephon Marbury
Dwyane Wade
Carlos Boozer
Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James
Emeka Okafor
Shawn Marion
Amar'e Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Lamar Odom
Richard Jefferson

Noctone posted:

lol five games is like "yeah we don't really care about drugs but we have to pretend like we do"

It does seem pretty weak.

euphronius posted:

Really? I think the NBA could add 5 or 6 more teams . The talent level is insane right now.

Yes, the population pool to draw from is so large now that the NBA could expand if it wanted to.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What the hell are the Knicks even hoping for.

The NBA BOG has realized that the Lakers/Bulls/Knicks will steadily rise in value (billions of USD) no matter how awful the product on the court gets.

EMC posted:

The new Warriors arena looks like a toilet too, unbelievable foresight to secure KD for the long term. Light years ahead indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC1r5ZDhDzU

Spite posted:

LeBron "Sisyphus" James. He was incredible all series. He had, what, one bad playoff game this season?

Yes, that was the game he threw so he could embarrass the Celtics one more time in Boston.

Dutchy posted:

It's kind of an interesting hypothetical. Would [LBJ's] rep be higher or lower if he had spent the last seven years mostly sputtering out in the 2nd round/WCF, but won a couple of Finals over the Raptors or whoever in dominant fashion?

Probably lower, but it would depend on the city he was in and a lot of the strange narratives that writers came up with based on random small/irrelevant events.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If Kevin Durant murdering basketball in the greatest bball bitch move in history results in the craziest most panicked off-season where all these rumored trades and movements go down and it's basically like a mass expansion draft for everyone then...well that fart sniffing snake and his Warriors are now cool by me
Even if it creates a Super Clippers

Imagine if every five years the entire league rosters were randomized. That'd be entertaining.

glowing-fish posted:

Fox Sports has an article about things that could derail a Warriors Dynasty. #2 behind injury, is "all the good assistant coaches leave"

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/golden-state-warriors-nba-dynasty-offseason-062017

I know coaching and support staff are important, but I can't think of any great NBA teams that fell apart because of a lack of assistant coaches, both because it seems like there is a pretty big pool of them out there, and because a championship team is going to be a draw for good staff, even if some of them leave.

If you have elite players the coaching becomes overrated.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Would Jimmy Butler really be their best option at getting over the top though?

It would be good if LBJ made Butler shave his head (and Kevin Love).

ex post facho posted:

mostly because with talent concentrated amongst a smaller number of teams it's more likely that those teams are closer to eachother in relative talent level...

I haven't seen evidence of that. With contraction the talent gets even more saturated. Look at the 1960s Celtics and what they did when the league had less than ten teams.

More teams would add more unpredictability.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Duggler posted:

And we still don't know who the regular season mvp is

Today I officially cast my vote for Harden (even though he had 800 TOVs).

DeimosRising posted:

I wouldn't be too worried either, but the [Warriors] will be worse next year barring a really lucky signing...

I believe next season could be their peak season if the core maintains 100% health. They didn't even have a good RC% this season. The Durant/Curry/Klay/Green quartet could undergo further gelling that could put them as the #1 SRS and/or MOV team of all-time.

Dejan Bimble posted:

How good were Rik Smits and Zyldraunus Ilgauskus, I remember them both being way too good in a way that seemed unfair, because they were tall and made jumpshots during my chyldhode

Shaq > Smits. It's why the Pacers didn't win in 2000.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I don't actually think the Cavs were coasting in the regular season. In the playoffs they were the same thing they were in the regular season: a really good offensive team (but moreso!) that sucked on defense (also even moreso!) and was gently brushed aside by the first legit team they played, a team that never looked like they were being pushed and seemed to find the Cavs' game 4 hot streak kind of funny.

In the regular-season the Cavaliers finished 10-14. Then in April/May playoffs they started 12-1. That's textbook levels of coasting.

DeimosRising posted:

If Draymond could resist his lust for balls for just 48 game minutes, Lebron would be on a four year finals losing streak without having to play a single team with a 5+ SRS before getting there.

I don't see coming in second place four straight years as much of an issue. The finals record framing is misleading. Nobody ever said Karl Malone was on a nineteen year losing streak. You're overemphasizing regular-season SRS.

The Cavaliers will be a year older and more likely to lose in the finals in 2018. LBJ is staring down being 3-6 in the finals. 3-7 and 3-8 in the finals.

LBJs finals numbers continue to improve as he gains more experience:

code:
GmSc/48	Player		Year
33.3	LeBron James	2017
30.5	LeBron James	2016
28.6	LeBron James	2014
25.9	LeBron James	2015
25.8	LeBron James	2012
25.1	LeBron James	2013
15.0	LeBron James	2011
11.9	LeBron James	2007

ex post facho posted:

i don't think it's really shortsighted to think that wahtever team lebron and curry are on are favorites to make it to the finals for the next 5 years, or i guess until lebron finally starts breaking down, which will admittedly probably happen in the next 3 years

the nba could eliminate:

[15 teams]

disperse their talent to the other 15 teams and you instantly have a better league, full of stacked teams that would produce the best most competitive basketball youve ever seen

Your extrapolations are completely unprecedented. The talent level concentrations would be indiscernible.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The entire state of IL is threatening bankruptcy (first time a US state has done this IIRC). This could be the final straw.

Spacebump posted:

Shows the value of a coach that isn't dumb enough to try to make statements by taking minutes away from some of the better players on the team. Shades of Butch Van Breda Kolff.

Which players?

Tae posted:

How is that different from the last 10 years

LBJ won't even be there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kevin Durant: My Next Chapter:

"Okay... so I walk out of the office about to leave the building when I hear this woman's voice coming from another room. Sounded as though she was by herself talking on the phone... which she was, when I looked through the door of the empty room/kitchen area to find a SUPER HOT girl on the phone talking to whoever. She was facing opposite towards the door, so her incredible rear end was staring at me in the face. She had on gray spandex pants, REALLY nice rear end, light skinned girl, could've been Spanish or white. She had long black straight hair, and one of the most killer booties you'll ever see. She had on a tight pink shirt on, and her rear end/hip ratio in conjunction with her waist measurement was outrageous. I kept staring at her for a long as I could without her knowing I was there. I couldn't stop mentally bending her body in different positions like doggie style and such as I watched her stare out the window in the room. She was in the room with her incredible rear end, I'm just thinking "wow, she's alone, I hope she farts, imagine what her farts smell like?"
So I walked away for a min or two, nobody was in the hallway, I crept back up to the door slowly, looked in to find her sitting on an orange colored felt cushion padded wooden chair that reclines backward. She sat there rocking with her legs crossed on the phone while eating cottage cheese... still her back facing me while I'm watching this super hot chick.

So, naturally, I couldn't wait for her to leave the room since she was apparently on a break from work, so I could smell the seat to tell if she farted on it. I went into the bathroom for at least 2-3 minutes, hoping she would leave the room. I walk out of the bathroom to find the door to the room wide open, and the lights were OUT. SHE LEFT!!! As SOON as I left the bathroom I heard a door shut, hoping it was her shutting the door to the office she returned to. So I walk quickly to the room with the lights off, I walked over near the chair where she sat.

As soon as I walked over near the chair I smelled a mixture between perfume and farts... the air hovering over the chair was definitely funky. I leaned down and smelled the seat where the super hot girls amazing rear end sat for at least 5 minutes straight.

It smelled like pure girl farts a strong fart essence was present in the felt padded seat cushion, I started buggin out. I kept smelling the cushion for as long as the smell's odor retained it's embodiment. I was in heaven with the sexy fumes that only lasted a couple of minutes. I buried my face into the seat cushion smelling this HOT girls candy farts. I was so happy that day.

It was the whole aspect that she was in that room totally comfortable, she knew nobody was around, and God knows how many farts she let out, if she enjoyed the smell, or what. I caught her farts and she had no idea, it's great when that happens. I intend on continuing my trips to this office."

Jack's Flow posted:

I will wake up tomorrow morning and there'll be 600 new posts. poo poo.

Maybe more.

R.D. Mangles posted:

wade declining his option would be shocking, that's his last payday until he starts his line of fancy pantaloons or whatever he does in retirement, dude is totally checked out on a lovely team and will probably play like 30 games next year while collecting his $24 million, he's already got his rings, he's in the HoF, and they're putting his number in the rafters in Miami.

I predict even less effort on defense. More gassed looks in the first quarter.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

What if he joined the Warriors though

If he wants more rings it's the logical choice.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Ryan Anderson plays 0 defense, correct?

He also shot 3for24 from 3P range against OKC in the playoffs which was highly entertaining.

pubic works project posted:

Hell, I'll even take another round of KD fart jokes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B52L95xRYFs

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 21, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

2017 Warriors trail only the 1939 Yankees, 1906 Cubs and 2007 Patriots:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-warriors-are-great-but-are-they-better-than-the-1939-yankees/

Would've been higher if not for CLE's egregious coasting.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

(Kevin Durant died in an explosive fart incident and the Warriors lost against the timberwolves in the first round)

Kevin Durant: Obituary:

"A terrible diet and room with no ventilation are being blamed for the death of a man killed by his own gas. There were no marks found on his body, but an autopsy revealed the presence of large amounts of methane dissolved in his blood.

His diet had consisted primarily of beans and cabbage, just the right combination of foods to produce a severe gas attack. It appears that the man died in his sleep from breathing the poisonous cloud that was hanging over his bed.

Had his windows been open, the flatulence wouldn't have been fatal, but the man was shut up in a nearly airtight bedroom. He was a man with an unlimited capacity for creating the deadly gas. Three rescuers became sick and one was hospitalized."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Bulls are turning into what the Cubs were for a long time. They put out an awful product but management and ownership didn't care because attendance was sky high. A stimulus for the Timberwolves who have awful attendance numbers.

Dexo posted:

There is no reason that John Paxson should still be in charge of this loving team.

And there is definitely no way Hoiberg, or Gar Foreman should still be around, after Foreman got more control over drafting after the Butler draft and the Bulls drafting has been straight garbage since then.

It's just loving infuriating.

Mostly what matters to ownership is that the franchise value continues to climb and attendance is still #1.

Vince Carter needs a ring. He also needs a season with a 2P% over 50%. Going to GSW could help him achieve both.

EvanTH posted:

WHY would you ever sell a pick for cash? WTF is that? Are the Chicago Bulls worried about the imminent merger with the NBA or some poo poo?

Illinois could be 1st state with 'junk' credit due to budget
http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/f70...f82761fb8efc116

IL could be the first US state to file for bankruptcy. It's so bad they're going to start charging a big tax on all soft drinks in Cook County on July 1st. Also, the big lotteries are about to leave. That $3,500,000 could help.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BWV posted:

I dont get why people other than Bulls fans aren't losing their poo poo. Jimmy Butler is so loving good. Like maybe the 2nd or 3rd best player in the east and thats while playing for a garbage team with garbage team mates and a garbage coach. And he got traded for nothing. for a player who nobody cares about and a guy who had 2 good months before suffering a bad injury.
how can the nba have so many "smart" GMs and none of them swept in to at least make a better offer? I feel like I'm crazy. Butler is so good.

The NBA cabal wants MIN to have a good team.

Counting money and looking for talent in Iowa cornfields.

BWV posted:

I was debating the other day if he is better than PG. George has more upside I think but Butler has played better so far and seems to be more consistent.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

So if I had to choose between Jimmy Butler and Paul George to build a potential championship team around, I'd go with Paul George because he can shoot better, so if I managed to acquire another star they would mesh more seamlessly

PG13 is becoming increasingly overrated. He's yet to attain even a single season with even a .18+ WS/48.

TBeats posted:

I would be okay with him riding the bench all the way to a ring. I just want to see him get one.

All my favorite stars as a kid are pretty much gone and Vince is one of the last ones left (can't actually think of anyone else off the top of my head).

Dirk, Vince, MWP and Jason Terry are the only people left to have played NBA minutes in 1999.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

High. Remember they threatened Butler that they would lower his minutes and play Snell more if he didn't take their lowball offer. It was one of the reasons Thibs and the front office had issues because Thibs wouldn't go along with that plan.

If someone told me that GarPax gave Jay Williams a bike that'd been tampered with I'd believe them.

R.D. Mangles posted:

is the jimmy trade worse than the cousins trade? i think buddy's better than anything the bulls got back.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that way. As I was reading through the last 70+ pages of this thread I lost some posts due to a Firefox crash but seeing all these NBA personalities/employees spout off strange syllogisms and platitudes is always entertaining.

Cameron Payne, MCW, Rondo were three of the bottom ten worst shooters last season...all on the Bulls. Now they went out and got Dunn to make that FOUR of the top ten:

code:
Player			Pos	NP	Tm
Cameron Payne		PG	-36.52	TOT
Malcolm Delaney		PG	-37.92	ATL
Brandon Ingram		SF	-40.16	LAL
Michael Carter-Williams	PG	-42.88	CHI
Rajon Rondo		PG	-45	CHI
Kris Dunn		PG	-45.96	MIN
Stanley Johnson		SF	-49.32	DET
Justise Winslow		SF	-49.68	MIA
Semaj Christon		PG	-53.64	OKC

Lockback posted:

And Rondo is bad now, but he was a great player for several years on successful teams despite not hitting 3s or even scoring all that much. He has notably been a worse player the last couple years when he's actually hit his 3s more reliably.

Rondo played with Allen and Pierce (two of the top fifteen scorers of all-time) and KG one of the GOATs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Oh, what a good example.

Russel Westbrook
Tony Parker through most of his career
John Wall
Chris Paul hit basically the same number of 3s in '13 and '14 and no one was saying CP3 was done then
The Spurs were a below-average 3pt team last year and did just fine
Giannis is ok
Rondo was an all-star PG with the worse shooting

Most of those players are becoming increasingly outmoded.

Never gets old.

Some of these are interesting. Pau Gasol ranks #2 in the #3 slot behind only Jordan.

Lockback posted:

Westbrook brought a team to the finals and the WCF a couple times with seasons shooting right around .300.

That was KD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Also in terms of future trajectory, given the rate at which KAT is improving I would say he's in position to have a better year next season, even if you thought Butler was better in 16-17

If KAT improves much more next year he'll be a legitimate MVP candidate.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I used to work at a company connected to sports tickets.

We used to get calls from various teams begging us to buy leftover seats for $1-10 each, hundreds at a time, so they could plausibly keep their sellout streaks alive.

:laffo:

Lockback posted:

Spurs were 17th in the league in 3 point shots made. They built an offense that featured the 3 point shot less than most other teams. That's what below-average means in this context. Percentages don't mean as much as actual shots going in the basket.

When factoring in SAS 3P% they're #3 overall. That's significant. When comparing 3P vs. 3P% to ORtg it seems that 3P% is more important as it shares a .68 correlation with ORtg last year compared to a .51 correlation with 3P itself.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Are they going to try to retain MCW at all? I can't imagine the market will be huge for him but teams are always looking for big PGs

Retention seems to fit the current Bulls trajectory.

euphronius posted:

I may have said their window is closing please don't quote that post.

When we're talking about window closing/opening are we talking about title aspirations? MIN doesn't seem close.

Metapod posted:

Minnesota should not replace rubio with Lowry because that does not make them better and Lowry does not fit their timeline

Lowry seems to have much stronger numbers.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Does it though?

I've been looking at finals series shooting and it appears KD put up the best shooting ever in 2017. I've checked back to 1971 so far and he's by far #1:

code:
NP	NP/48	Player		Year
49.96	12.05	Kevin Durant	2017
40.76	7.70	Michael Jordan	1992
38.84	7.31	Adrian Dantley	1988
38.52	6.37	Magic Johnson	1988
37.24	9.45	LeBron James	2014
36.36	6.36	James Worthy	1984
35.8	6.98	Ray Allen	2008
35.36	7.96	Kevin Durant	2012
34.8	6.96	Kevin McHale	1985
34.72	7.86	LeBron James	2017
And he only needed five games.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Super theoretical situation here.

Let's assume that DWade and Melo both get bought out and the Cavs add them for basically nothing.

Kyrie
JR
Lebron
Love
TT

Wade
Melo
Ian Sjumpert
Some scrub center they sign in the offseason

Does that make them competitive against the Warriors?

Not too much as Wade/Melo are both cooked.

Lockback posted:

Wade was still alright in Chicago. Giving him minutes instead of Shumpert would be a big positive on offense, though I don't know who he'd guard. He's still pretty good at sniffing out passing lanes but he's been pretty slow otherwise. Maybe let him play PG off the bench.

Melo is interesting too, because a Love/Melo/Lebron/JR/Kyrie lineup is a pretty good answer to the Draymond/Durant/Iggy/Klay/Steph lineup. Doesn't match perfectly but it'd probably be a step up what they had. I am also assuming Melo would work harder on D than he has in the recent past.

Wade looked done in the 2014 finals. He closed the Bulls season out shooting 1for10. He looks gassed on defense in the first quarter of regular season games.

Jack's Flow posted:

I had completely forgotten about the stupid award show.

I want the awards delayed more. I need more time to think about the regular season. Postpone them to October or November.

EvanTH posted:

First state nothin', ain't even first time Illinois done it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_bankruptcies_in_the_1840s

That's interesting. I wonder if there are some distinctions in bankruptcy law or something because I've seen dozens of articles using the "IL FIRST STATE to EXPLODE" headline. Maybe just clickbait.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

While I'm inclined to agree based on their position as star players, you don't think that they would be effective for 24 minutes a game a pop?

Yea, but that's a different thing. Wade/Carmelo would make the EC playoffs even easier for the Cavaliers but we're talking about having guys that can take down the greatest team of all-time.

To defeat the Warriors I'd start by adding these six to the Cavaliers bench for 2018:

The Beard
The Stifle Tower
Jimmy G. Buckets
The Claw
The Greek Freak
Jonathan Clay Redick

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

God, everytime I look at the Bulls "rebuilding," it gets worse. They couldn't pick the way better prospect in Dennis Smith because they already traded half the team for three lovely point guards

It'd be good if the Bulls organization was just succinctly honest for a change.

GarPax press release: "Look, Reinsdorf is making 80+ million in PROFIT in USD each season. Fans continue to come in droves and give this insane organization the #1 attendance each year. Reinsdorf wants more $$$ though so we will trade and sell our best players/picks to trash teams with bad attendance as personal favors to his multibillionare buddies. We're going on vacation. See you next year. FIN."

PantsFreeZone posted:

so who is going to win the next title that isn't the Warriors?

i got money on the 2020ish T'Wolves

Spurs seem like a good bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqjlFGZxtE

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

61-year-old Las Vegas grandpa trains for the NBA (not LaVar)
http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/35755243/61-year-old-las-vegas-grandpa-trains-for-the-nba

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Do people even still use that word, I dont really listen to rap but I feel like I never hear it anymore

Not as much as 2000-2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvrKzmkdBTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxsfEio0L8Y

Today happens to be Khloé Kardashian's birthday.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"Can a starting five of James, Kyrie Irving, Anthony, Wade and George work?" :laffo:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-lebron-james-bringing-152635252.html

I finished looking at shooting in the finals. This covers 1951 - 2017. 67 years of data and nearly 1,500 finals seasons.

The top and bottom 1%:

code:
NP	Player			Year
49.96	Kevin Durant		2017
40.76	Michael Jordan		1992
38.84	Adrian Dantley		1988
38.52	Magic Johnson		1988
37.24	LeBron James		2014
36.36	James Worthy		1984
35.8	Ray Allen		2008
35.36	Kevin Durant		2012
35.2	Jerry West		1966
34.8	Kevin McHale		1985
34.72	LeBron James		2017
31.76	Kevin McHale		1986
31.56	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1985
31.44	Julius Erving		1977
31.08	Shaquille O'Neal	2002

-26.4	Elgin Baylor		1959
-26.92	Bill Russell		1957
-27.08	Red Kerr		1955
-27.56	Kenyon Martin		2003
-27.64	Nate Thurmond		1967
-27.8	Bailey Howell		1969
-28.04	Joe Graboski		1956
-29	Paul Seymour		1955
-29.24	Guy Rodgers		1964
-30.76	Jerry West		1972
-31.96	Bob Cousy		1957
-33.92	Jim Loscutoff		1957
-37.24	Patrick Ewing		1994
-40.16	Woody Sauldsberry	1961
-41.12	Bob Cousy		1960
Patrick Ewing was awful in 1994. I remember seeing a documentary and he said he felt like there was an invisible lid on the rim but I didn't know it was nearly the worst in NBA history.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tanglewood1420 posted:

Jerry West scoring the 9th highest in the pre-three point era is seriously impressive.

Obviously Durant destroying everyone else in only a five game series is nuts.

Yea, shooting like that in 1966 is off the charts especially against the Celtics defense which was the best for a whole decade.

Celtics almost blew the 1966 finals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7vHBT2qAQ

Time posted:

hakeem had him scared of his shadow

Dejan Bimble posted:

I listened to New York calls of those games as a very young child who just got his own clock radio, I remember pacing back and forth and hoping to God that the knicks would keep winning and I remember the angst and misery of the New York callers after they blew it

If Ewing had shot just a little better NYK would've won probably.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Would a team that's roster was the worst starter from each championship team from the last 12 years make the playoffs in the East? Assume that player is as good as they were when they won the Finals.

I'd like to think it was possible but not guaranteed.

Tae posted:

If JJ Barea can win a championship as a starter, anyone can

If Mario Chalmers as a starter can win two championships, anyone can

It was a different time. In the short-term it's about facing off against probably the GTOAT. I don't like the 2011 Mavericks, 2012 or 2013 Heat against the 2017-20?? Warriors.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It would be good if the Cavaliers traded LBJ to the Cubs.

euphronius posted:

Lol if George and butler both end up in the West

LBJ is going to make the finals again I think.

EvanTH posted:

I think it's probably like how them British treat the NHS--there's problems enough to complain all day and all night, but folks are ultimately proud of it and glad it's there. It's a Very Good Thing that NYS has the largest public university system in the western world (at least some of the time? It might back and forth between NY and California depending on how you're taking measurements and what year, with Ohio usually a close third).

The NHS still uses Windows XP computers/servers though. That's a problem as they were trounced by the latest round of cryptolocker viruses.

fast cars loose anus posted:

To be fair I don't follow the NBA as much as the NFL and MLB and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but if this team as constructed right now gets past the Warriors it will be a stunning upset

No team can realistically make moves in the following few years to get better than the Warriors on paper.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I have no loving idea why Morey wants CP3 when we have a great point guard already

Having CP3 will help Harden not reach 400+ turnovers next season. He's been the TOV king three straight years (four out of the last five seasons). Last year he had 464 (the most in basketball universe history).

This is good. Hopefully this means CP3 is done shilling in all those ghastly State Farm ads.

Kirios posted:

As a casual Rockets fan it's hard for me to really care about this trade because it's still not nearly enough to compete.

If the Warriors have significant injuries.

I'm going to miss PJ taking a big dump on Carmelo every week and flashing his rings like they give him divine right.

euphronius posted:

You can't just like ... not play healthy stars.

At the end of the season you can sure. You can't just bench healthy guys at the start of the year . He's only 32. I guess 33.

I don't remember that ever happening in the NBA.

Fake an injury OR maybe Carmelo could clean the bathrooms or mop the floor. Or Dolan could hire him as another bodyguard to shield him from Charles Oakley. :anime:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

xbilkis posted:

Would staggering Harden/Paul's minutes so they're playing without one another as much or more often than they're playing together be the optimal way to use them? Will stars teaming up ever accept this arrangement

At times in the regular season for sure. Manu did it readily.

ex post facho posted:

im skeptical that cp3 and harden is gonna be that good, both are ball-dominant guards that need the ball in their hands to be effective

I've had some time to think about this and I have come to a further conclusion: this sucks

Someone convince me this isn't the trade that will ruin Morey's reputation forever because goddamn is it shamefully bad imo

Old-rear end man Chris Paul isn't helping us beat the Spurs much less the Warriors

Ty1990 posted:

There seems to be this weird idea among casual basketball fans that Chris Paul is washed.

CP3 has been ranked within the top 8 of WS/48 for TEN consecutive seasons:

code:
Season	1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th	6th	7th	8th
2016-17		C. Paul (.2643)						
2015-16				C. Paul (.2528)				
2014-15			C. Paul (.2702)					
2013-14		C. Paul (.2695)						
2012-13			C. Paul (.2868)					
2011-12		C. Paul (.2785)						
2010-11				C. Paul (.2319)				
2009-10								C. Paul (.2039)
2008-09		C. Paul (.2925)						
2007-08	C. Paul (.2840)							
Others to accomplish that (number of consecutive years):

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1970-1983 (14)
Oscar Robertson 1961-1971 (11)
Wilt Chamberlain 1960-1969 (10)
Magic Johnson 1982-1991 (10)
Jerry West 1964-1973 (10)

Think of all the so-called greats who aren't on that list. CP3 is among five champions and should continue his top 8 WS/48 streak.

ragle posted:

the extra 10% to keep Melo as a scorer off the bench is cheaper than trying to get an equivalent scorer elsewhere.

Carmelo was worse than Joakim Noah last year by advanced stats. If a team is paying someone why can't they decide the player is most effective coming off the bench?

ragle posted:

on basketball-reference.com the respective player pages, under "Advanced," Noah was superior in WS/48, BPM, VORP, Carmelo was better in WS.

Noah played ~1,000 minutes and doesn't qualify as a leader for WS/48 and a lot of other advanced stats. 1,500+ minutes is necessary.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Watch how bad the Clippers will be next year. CP3 turning that entire tire fire franchise around was a miracle. I still remember CP3 openly and incredulously arguing with Del Negro over plays on live TV.

Cool Buff Man posted:

? Then pay him. It's not his fault that he got offered a dream contract. This is not Melo's doing and "what's best for the team" has gently caress all to do with it

It's his fault that he staunchly and steadfastly refuses to play D. I've seen coaches and billionaires in the first row play as much D.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Is it a bit too flow-chart-y to say I'm not crazy about Chris Paul on the Rockets? I mean, it would make the team better, but not "can beat GS next year" better and do we really want to be paying him $30+ mil a year when he's 36? When you think about the depth they'd have to gut to fit Paul in and his age/injury concerns, it seems like a high-risk/low-reward move relative the team as is.

If they're looking to "win now," they'd be better off going all in for Paul George. He upgrades a much weaker position, and even if he leaves for LA, at least the team gets that cap space back and probably has room for another max deal. Only problem with George on the Rockets is he couldn't be PG-13 anymore.

There's always risk but CP3 is a player you take almost above any other when given the opportunity. Nobody will surpass GSW on paper but that doesn't mean the other 29 teams should just call it a day and do nothing.

PG is far less valuable than CP3. In value comparisons PG compares most closely with Goose Ligon.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/ligongo01.html

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In honor of KD putting up the greatest finals performance in a few different ways I made another NES 8-bit mashup thing:
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/59557249eafc0-return-of-the-joker-kevin-durant.php

Here's the Curry 13 3P record one from sometime ago:
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/58487a0d2743b-silius-stephen-curry.php

My Wiggins 2for19 shooting game was deleted due by YouTube though.

ex post facho posted:

we'll see how it plays out. i remain skeptical. i don't doubt that cp3 is great, but he's only been on teams where he's almost always the primary ballhandler and defers to nobody. both he and harden are going to need a ton of touches.

This has been said many times before concerning many players on many teams. It's illogical because with this thinking all those USA Olympic teams shouldn't work because they all need the ball.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I wonder how much $$$ he's getting paid for all that.

EvanTH posted:

Calipari is a great pickup for when we need to secretly give our players money, not sure

what else he brings tho

He is going to scream loudly at Carmelo to no avail.

Ghost Dog posted:

whats the risk? 2 ball dominant players can work fine together even without good offball games, and both players can easily work offball. is the risk that patrick beverly suddenly becomes a top 5 pg all time? that massively upgrading their team might not win them a championship at the cost of....absolutely 0 part of their future?

Injury, but that's a risk for everyone except LBJ so it's not a big deal.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Strawberry Panda posted:

GSW lineups are like +60 with Iggy and -21 without him. He's essential to the killer line ups. Don't know who you replace him with when you're playing small.

It's a loss but ultimately a superficial one. His playoff/finals numbers have been on the decline each year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

ZOGO MODE ACTIVATE

Yes.

"He was supposed to die on the court of a pulmonary embolism with Rajon Rondo screaming at him to get up." -Confused Bulls fan.

Ammanas posted:

I would eat so much Arby's I explode if there were any Arby's within 20 miles of me #roastbeefdeadzone

Yes, it's a travesty how so many have closed down around me.

Making room for LBJ in a couple of years.

tanglewood1420 posted:

And as for how many people in the world could do what James Dolan does....

I don't know many willing to publicly embarrass themselves year by year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ex post facho posted:

lacob is gonna make it up under the table to kd just like prokhorov did with kirilenko

KD getting millions of USD in BTC right now.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I get that we're desperate to use our worthless college degrees for something besides kindling but there are far more interesting things to talk about

Everyday US student loan debt increases by a lot:
http://usdebtclock.org/

My message to the Bulls organization on this 241st anniversary of the USA.

:eyepop:

It's good that everyone knows the truth.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Most NBA players would prolly just be playing basketball for free if they hadn't made the NBA, just having a whale of a time, it's the job creators that really make it happen

Each year all thirty NBA franchises should pay a tribute to the estate of Dr. James Naismith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dokmo posted:

I still believe in MCW

Libertine posted:

I still believe that ROTY MCW is still there somewhere deep down waiting to be unleashed.

I believe in MCWs NBA debut he was possessed by aliens or ghosts (good/smart basketball prospects who died before their NBA debuts). Len Bias/Benji and many others etc. After that game they moved onto a higher plane and MCW was left with a smushed brain.

Shear Modulus posted:

what's the best NBA player workout video or pic of all time. i realize that the best pro athlete workout video i know of is yoenis cespedes' video from when he defected and i bet the nba can outdo that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiwKPvCISQ

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone brought up this actual grandpa trying to make the Vegas Summer League at 61?
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/06/27/61-year-old-las-vegas-grandpa-seeks-spot-with-nba.amp.html

Yes, I would like LaVar Ball to also do that and join the Bulls.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

What Godard film is JR Smith?

Pierrot le Fou AKA Pierrot the Madman.

Dexo posted:

Bruh for Dolan's inherited money I will make myself look like a fool publically with no hesitation.

I'm not there yet. Not ready to play the Kazoo with Carmelo.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 4, 2017

• Locked thread