Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Goon discord is also p. awesome for asking questions and getting help, either with running a dungeon or just general "I am a loving moron what do I do"

I never knew how much having a mount was great until I rerolled on Excalibur and had to walk/sprint everywhere for like 15/20 levels.

I had picked up the game like, a year or so ago, pre-Stormblood, and leveled for a bit during my free month, then dropped it. Recently picked it back up after GuildWars pissed me off a few months ago with their bullshit (Lemme tell you, buying Heart of Thorns and the other expac, then seeing you still had to pay *more money* to unlock core story event contents, then seeing that the game which you could basically just solo around in for 50 levels suddenly decides that you need groups for world "questing" to make it managable, pissed me off quite a bit before the whole firing kerfuffle) and I haven't really regretted it. I did take a short break recently when I got a Lancer on another server to 63-64 ish, since I basically ground that out in about a month, month and a half, then the guild I was in collapsed.

Friend from here told me to just make a new character on Excalibur, so I did. I am, however, leveling All Stupid Like. Decided I wanted a DPS of some kind for doing MSQ, and a WHM for dungeons. The split XP is sometimes a pain, but it's not TOO horrible since there's a fair few things to do to get levels (WHM is easiest, as I can just dungeon a few times and get pretty easy level ups).

The only thing I don't enjoy to date is some DPS in dungeons. Thinking about starting letting them die if they go ahead of the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pupuru posted:

I just encountered the next level of honest healing. An ACN took over healing from me (as CNJ) because I was "a bad healer" i.e., letting the tank drop to <40% HP before healing.

Semi related, but man Conjurer has a bunch of awful loving spells.

But dropping heals when a tank goes to 50-40% is what CJN/WHM does???????

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alakaiser posted:

Maybe if you're playing conservatively. (or are doing tougher content and know when the damage is coming)

edit: I may have missed the sarcasm.

I wasn't being sarcastic, more incredulous. I mean, from what I've seen healing as a CJN/WHM, 50% ish is around when you start using your heals to top the tank back up. Especially if you're still in CJN and don't have the job crystal yet.

Anything else is overhealing and means you don't toss Stone or Aero out.

EDIT: Poly is my fave monster prommer

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rainuwastaken posted:

How is it possible for one post to be so wrong

The best DF runs are the ones where everybody is chatty and competent. It's rare but man does it make old dungeons fun when it happens.

I used to shoot the poo poo all the time as a Dragoon. I'd sometimes get the comm just for that. Keeping the dungeon fun with chatter jokes or just going "My job is to stand in fire and blame the healer right? Sweet lets go" after saying "My first run in here so explain mechanics if needed thanks"

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

Oh my goodness, this game is absolutely beautiful - graphically and musically.

Made a Moon Cat girl, and am running around shooting everything with a bow. It's so pretty.

This is literally my friend, except they made a catboi.

Whenever we explore a new zone they break to go talk to and hug all the animals.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Really indecisive at this point, with everything being so new. Archer had a fun twang to it, but ranged DPS is nothing new for me.

You can swap out to something else as you approach cap on your archer. the ability to just try out jobs without making a new character is amazing

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I generally look up a guide to see it they have a gaze. Otherwise I don't always pay attention to what the boss is doing and get paralyzed or silenced because I didn't look away.

Wipes happen, and if it was something I did I just give a quick "whoops my bad" and we do it again. I don't get too salty until its repeated idiotic wipes in a row. The player base is in general gracious for roulette runs, and if you can keep up some good cheer in the chat things will usually recover and people won't get too nasty. This may be coloured by being a sprout however.

I was always able to just ask "any notable mechanics" and people would answer. Even non-sprouts don't always remember the mechanics of a fight they haven't done in a while.

Admitting to being new and asking questions/trying to learn mechanics is also a good way to farm commendations. Gotta get all the noms.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

So I just noticed there's actually a thing on the HUD that lists currently engaged enemies and has a symbol indicating how much aggro I have with them (it was in an image someone linked me in this thread I think). Things suddenly became far more simple, now that I have proof that I basically never lose aggro after the initial pull and don't even really need to do my aggro combo.

It seems like I generally get about one level per dungeon. I'm level 42 now, and I figure once I reach 48 or so I can continue my Heavensward MSQ stuff with my Dark Knight.

Depends. Roulette, yes, it's generally one dungeon/trial per level. Doing just non-roulette-bonus dungeon runs won't net you a level unless the dungeon is of around your level.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This only applies to the currently selected mob tho. Handy for bosses but not for packs much.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really loving wish FATE attunement for quests or dungeons were over already.

One hour waiting for a specific FATE to pop is not fun.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Them being removed for 4.4 does not help me with my crystal tower attunement right loving now loving does it gently caress

Another hour long wait for a fate to pop in Nathalan now ;_;

At least two of them were basically up as soon as I got to the zone.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and be like level 70 when I get there? No thanks.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

Aaaaah, the logging out animation in an Inn. :allears:

Aaaah, the logging in animation when you're at an Inn. :allears:

Aaaaagh, give me your Triple Triad cards Mother Miounne. :argh:

I've only just started the TT road. Dungeons are going to give you cards, too, so check your inventory from time to time and you may have a few two or three star cards.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once you get that rock you don't go back.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

edit: As an unrelated thing, I finally looked up where to spend achievement points, and found that I had enough to get 2 mounts (with some left over). I got the goofy claw that drags you around and held off on spending the rest for the time being.

The warrior of light barding is also adorable

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good old estenien.

and yeah Heavensward is a dramatic step up in quest and story quality. The whiplash is pretty hard after rushing trough the AAR postgame stuff, I wonder how it felt in real time.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Minfilia, who even is she? Why does she have the Echo? Is this stuff from 1.0?

Sort of? She was kind of part of the pre-Scions organisation in 1.0, then after the Calamity she formed the Scions from the ashes of that. IIRC

but she wasn't a MAJOR player in 1.0

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EponymousMrYar posted:

Arguably it's Postcognition that's likely the 'unique' thing that the WoL gets. While everyone seems to have it to some degree, no one gets zonked out for it like we do :ducksiren:

I figured it was the fact that you can keep wiping in dungeons and coming back.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

Yeah, I think she just wears a bra that lifts and separates. :v:

I'm guessing levequests are there to be hoarded for later classes? I'm 34 but already about 10 levels above the main quest's enemies.

Or to level crafters. Lots of crafting leves but it uses the same pool of quests. I think you gain 4 leve allowances per day or something up to a hundred and some.

But yah if youre just doing MSQ on a single job they're not too handy.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

Hraesvelgr is kinda a dumb rear end in a top hat who seems to think dragon lives are inherently worth more than human/elezen/whatever ones.

Like, Estinien's motives are more reasonable than his; at least his family was actually killed by Nidhogg himself (or the army lead by him), as opposed to the random descendants of Nidhogg.

There is still quite a bit to the story you don't know.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SonicRulez posted:

When you piece together what happened between Allag and Meracydia through the Crystal Tower and Coil quests, you really get a feel for where Nidhogg and Hraesvalgr are coming from. They definitely aren't right or even reasonable, but they're understandable to a point. The dragons have a seriously good reason to be mad as hell.

Also this.

This isn't just a "This happened so long ago why are they still fighting". To Nidhogg, specifically, the wounds are still super fresh, as are the lies and betrayal that led to it.

Hraesvalgr just wants to be left alone and let the younger people do whatever, it's no nevermind to him. His wound still bleeds, he just wants to isolate himself. He doesn't care and I do not blame him.

Nidhogg wants the world to burn for his revenge. He is consumed by hatred and grief, and has been for a thousand years. To mention having some uppity Ishgardian running around with Nidhoggs eye to power himself up kind of pisses off the dragons like a lot

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

Do I ever get the ability to teleport to the waking sands directly?

No. But it won't matter for very long.

You can take the ferry from Limsa, and it brings you right outside the Waking Sands. It's off beyond the merchant alley.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

For Estinien not quite? The eyes are destroyed, and he wasn't even in possession of them through out all of Stormblood. He does mention that he's gotten a great deal more powerful following the events of Nidhogg's defeat, so him getting body jacked probably super charged his rear end so he doesn't need the eyes anymore, hell he might even have a psuedo-echo

Well we were talking HW

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

I eventually found that. Would've been nice to know yeah, heh. Been taking the route from Horizon.

And booooo. Got to level 9 in my first Palace of the Dead run, only for a wasp to one shot me. :mad:

Yeah wasps have a one hit KO they channel at low HP. swhy you want frens for PoD

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that just posted for DPS in need? Because you only have four roulettes unlocked at level 63?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sion posted:

I'm level 57 and I'm still in ARR oh my god how please someone

Doing a lot of dungeons?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, FFXIV has some "grimdark everything grey" stuff (Heavensward especially) but then injects an honest to goodness set of Good Guys Who Are Empathetic And Kind And Just Fighting For Those That Can't and never really goes into cynicism or subverts that you are a hero. A Warrior of Light. And even when you do bad things, its pitched as "you made a mistake and now you gotta fix it and be better". Its genuine and heartfelt, and so refreshingly... Final Fantasy.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

40-Degree Day posted:

I thought this game was free until level 35 now, why won't it let me play without paying?

You get one free month to get as many things you want to 35

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brainamp posted:

No, the trial has an unlimited duration.

That's the only thing I can think of.

humm! I got a friend who told me it was only one month when they registered their trial

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly dungeon difficulty mostly ramps up linearly so if you're doing your story dungeons and the occasional roulette, you'll get the hang on if just through practice. Read the tooltips, understand your abilities and cooldowns, and it's seriously just practice until you get the hang of it, and a knowledge of the dungeon layouts and enemy abilities so you know what to expect and when to use your abilities to maximize usefulness.

The only time you might need a special class/teacher is for endgame raid content. And you're pretty far from that. Don't sweat it, just keep on playing. A lot of FFXIV is basically "Babies first MMO" in the first 40odd levels, and even past that it's not going to require spreadsheets to master tanking. Paladin especially is pretty much e-z-mode.

EDIT: If you're not in the discord yet you should consider it, there's plenty of people who can give specific advice and tips for things you may be wondering. Even if you're not on Excal to join the FC.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aithon posted:

The Garlemald army magitek looks Shinra as hell whenever it's not literally stuff from FF6, so I'd expect FF7 stuff to make it to the main plot.

Hell, there's even a Weapon. Even if FFXIV's Ultima Weapon is kind of a different thing, it wouldn't be difficult to write in others.

There are already two weapons though not just Ultima

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SonicRulez posted:

Rathalos is just quicker than I want any encounter to be when I'm a melee and he doesn't really do normal aggro tables. The fight was just me running around trying to catch the bastard while he's throwing out mechanics as fast as the game can process. None of these mechanics are super bad, but it's pretty frustrating to get smacked and stunned because I was trying to catch up with him and now he's tail slapped me 100 feet away.

Seriously though, there isn't ANY time to figure out that you're meant to hide behind the garula. You either know already or you're eating that poo poo.

Wipes and deaths are meant to teach your mechanics and tactics. That so many players react as if a wipe or a death means the game has failed is redic.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

Also I hope I'm not being annoying with long effortposts my health has been super lovely and I'm bedridden so posting is all I can do.

The number crunchy theorycrafting is interesting, even if its not something I'd do personally.

Why do you say optimal rotation isnt really a thing in FFXIV? From what I have seen and heard there are a lot of people big on optimal rotations on DPS classes.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No one played that bad game and what other FF races are they gonna add? Outside of Ivalice everyone in FF is basically human outside of like...Kihmari.

And the Al Bheds.

Burmecians :colbert:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress that loving tower, gently caress the hundred people jumping up and blocking the platforms from view, gently caress the jerkbags who thing its great to use their gobbu mount while scaling.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FFXIV does better by having the dev team poo poo on the playerbases head

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordiceius posted:

SE giving away White Ravens in the next event..... What the $*#@...

Yea I know this affects only like maybe a handful of people that even play the game anymore but....... giving out white raven earrings for a loving event...... really? You have poo poo on the legacy players constantly while simultaneously constantly praising their dedication and saying how "we wouldn't be here without you".

So you spit in our faces again.

The earrings are completely useless as an actual item for stats. They exist purely for bragging rights/taking pride in beating the hardest content in the game in 1.0..... and now its going to be just a glamor item equivalent of "a trophy for every kid".

I mean, loving downvote away because I'm sure everyone will be foaming at the mouth to silence people like me because "MUH GLAMORS!" but this considerably lessens my faith in you and your word.

Why wouldn't you make it something else with the same model and a different name or something?

source your quotes

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chaeden posted:

Healers that only cast medica. Nothing else. No protect, no cure, no regen, only medica. This is the hell I enter when I play tank.

This is... just madness.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My original thing wasn't so much amazement that Honest Healers exist, but that there's people who are so poo poo at honest healing they only use Medica. Like, c'mon son, you've got like six or seven different heals you can use more efficiently if you're honest healing.

But then if they used their heals efficiently they would have so much downtime of just sitting there doing nothing they'd get bored, so they spam medica to feel like they're doing something.

I don't mind honest healers in 8 man content because it means I can spent less than a quarter of my time worrying about heals for the most part and just nuking things, which is okay. But then, half the time, this ends poorly because HH don't heal good at all and I gotta then compensate for their poo poo heals and their no DPS and just gently caress off and play a goddamn dragoon if you wanna be useless scrub.

ugh.

As for comms: I find people incredibly picky for comms, but being someone who talks a bit in chat, makes a joke (even if terrible), and doesn't get salty openly gives me an average of one per dungeon. Sometimes I get none because people just don't comm (or I mess up the dance on a boss and die leading to a wipe and everyone gets frothy and goes "WHY YOU DIE loving MORON" and I just /shrug and do it again), sometimes three because I rock. I also usually give out a comm, because I'm nice. Split 50/50 between the tank as long as they do a good job, or one of the DPS that doesn't act like a moron. Or whoever bantered with me in chat because then they are a Person and not a faceless robot there to soak up XP during fights.

I like the comm system. I got a baby chocobo with a pope hat, and my own pope hat, from it, so it's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

And they changed it so now you always have Brilliance or whatever the buff is called so you basically can't die short of like, Those Chocobos.

It's possible to die in some fights, but those are specifically fights where the goal isn't to murder the enemy but to dodge poo poo.

Most of the failed solo instances I've had was from NPCs dying because I didn't grok the order I was supposed to kill the trash in properly.