Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Euron doesn't gently caress around does he?

Sorry not sorry to see the Sand Snakes go.

I was kinda bummed that Yara bought it too, but thinking back she and her fully armed and armoured warband did run away from a solitary naked man, so I guess her abilities might've been a tad overstated.

bawfuls posted:

Yeah but she's the only one who grew up a Targ and with that idea maybe normalized. Jon isn't going to find out he's a Targ and then all of a sudden be like "ok cool that means incest is chill sign me up!"
Jon's more into redheads anyway.

If he's going to do the incest thing, well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yes, how would Jon come to terms with a powerful and hot wife and a ton of new armies and probably his very own dragon?

The humanity
I bet the miserable oval office still wouldn't crack a smile.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

Similarly, I've never quite understood how Roose Bolton ended up consolidating the armies of the North after the Red Wedding. Even if people didn't know he had a hand in it, the other houses were all fired up to fight the Lannisters and support the King in the North but now that Rob is dead well we'll just go ahead and bend the knee to the same King we were in open revolt against a week ago and fight his enemies for this guy who was mysteriously not murdered along with all the other people (including our own family members) at the Twins.
The execution of Lord Karstark drove a fracture through the North that Roose exploited. Half of Robb's bannermen had marched back North before the Red Wedding AFAIK, those that stayed either died with him or betrayed him.

So any loyal houses were left divided and leaderless, and the Boltons were already more powerful than any of them individually. Also unlike Dorne we did get to see them consolidating their power, Ramsay was flaying alive any fucker who wouldn't bend the knee.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It wasn't exactly the best lit scene, it only lasted a few seconds, her face is turned away from the camera, and she's wearing the same "generic beige with random leather" costume every other loving character does.

It's not a difficult mistake to make, and I'm not sure it quite justifies galloping around on a 20 foot high horse.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

Can you sell ice zombies?
The market's bearish right now, forecasters are expecting a glut in supply very soon.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Poor Grey Worm. He's stuck on the wrong side of the continent with no ships, no supplies and nothing but 1000 miles of hostile territory between him and safety. His march home's gonna make Xenophon's wee jaunt look like a walk in the park on a summer's day.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Who has any motive too?
Viserys.

He's still sore about being locked in that dungeon for the poo poo his brother did. To add insult to injury, his oval office of a brother actually got off scott free!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Viserys is dead :cheeky: That's Dany's brother. You mean Varys. or Tyrion? I'm not even sure...
Dumb loving names all look the same to me.

I meant Viserion. Because it was a joke.

Wandle Cax posted:

Also why do people think he has no dick? he has a dick he's just castrated.
Root and stem.

404notfound posted:

I forgot Mark Gatiss had a role on the show. Threw me for a loop seeing Mycroft again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzL_wyMahU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

What's the point of Dany having a Spymaster in her inner circle when her armies and allies keep getting caught with their pants down? What the gently caress does Varys do all day?
You're not accusing him of tossing it off, surely?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

Didn't Oberyn have some leftover daughters back in Dorne?
Maybe Gendry can row over and pick them up, he's the only one currently on the sea to have successfully evaded Euron.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Xealot posted:

I liked Jon and Dany's meeting because it successfully highlighted what's lovely about both of them. Dany is an arrogant, grand-standing child-tyrant and Jon is a frowning dolt who can barely communicate. Dany beats off her 30 titles and demands fealty from nothing, while Jon refuses to explain who he is or what he wants with any conviction or clarity whatsoever. It perfectly encapsulated how they'd see each other at first meeting, and did a good job of demonstrating why their advisors matter. Tyrion, because he's able to speak plainly to backwater Northmen who despise protocol, and Davos because he's fantastic at wing-manning kings who are the absolute worst at marketing.
Hah. This is pretty spot on, yeah.

If they do end up boning I feel especially sorry for Ser Friendzone. Jon took his sword, and then his waifu? Man, that's harsh.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

More recently, the Targaryen and Stark relationship has been rocky. From Dany's perspective, the Starks led a rebellion against her father, killed her entire family, supported a usurper who led the country into civil war, and sent assassins to kill her and her brother. It seems doubtful that Dany would allow the Starks to skip away without any consequences.
From Jon's perspective (and anyone else sane), two men were tortured to death merely for expressing concern over a kidnapped family member, at the whim of a crazy fire obsessed dickhead who demanded unquestioning and undeserved fealty (sound like anyone we know?).

Dany can get hosed. Robert wasn't an usurper, he was a god-tier bro who went to war because the mad king took massive loving liberties with his friends and nearly everyone else turned a blind eye. I'm glad he smashed Rhaegar's head in, he deserved it!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Uh, a loving fookin' legend?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haha, god the Dothraki are arrogant twats.

"Your people don't fight well"

Really bitch? Because that mayhem out there is all you guys, and nothing to do with the gigantic fire breathing lizard you loving oval office.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Scooter_McCabe posted:

So my theory is she hooks up with Jon and gets preggers. Now no Targ wife has survived child birth from a Targ husband. Not knowing Jon is another Targ that baby is a time bomb. She the baby comes she's dead. Likewise there will be no king in the north since Jon being raised from the dead probably means he is susceptible to the Night King's powers. So Jon has to be killed after he gets turned. Jamie will likely kill Cersi. What you will have left over is the Hand's for each King and they are pretty level headed minus Qyburn. So they will probably form some sort of Republic or representative council.
I don't think Dany can have children. Hero of the people Mirri Maz Duur hosed her womb up good and proper with blood magic.

I can't see Jon being susceptible to the Night King's influence either, not if we take the Lord of Light's opposition to the Others at face value anyway. Being brought back to life and being undead aren't quite the same thing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LinkesAuge posted:

This is a society based on the realities of a medieval society which means there is no prison till end of life, it's pretty much either being let go or death sentence.
You realise that the other people in that scene were locked up right? Prison was definitely a thing in "medieval" society.

Whatever. Lets analyse this poo poo: The guy Ned executed was a proven deserter of the Night's Watch, and the law is very clear about what you do with those. It was a duty Ned performed reluctantly, but he was honour bound and at least he made a point of performing it quickly and cleanly.

The guy who Dany burned had committed no crime. He had the misfortune of being a former slave master in a city where some former slave masters were causing Dany trouble. That's it. Dany didn't even care if any of those people were her guys or not, she rounded them up and then chose one of them completely at loving random to be burned alive.

Your waifu is a lunatic. Sorry bud.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

zeal posted:

Lol

There is no such thing as a good slaver; to be more specific, there is not such thing as a slaver in fiction or real history who deserves less than excruciating and public death
I never said he was good. I said he hadn't committed a crime.

There are plenty of bad people within Dany's reach that she hasn't burned alive. Jorah was also a slaver. As is her entire loving army come to think of it.

The fact is, she just randomly chose to burn someone. There wasn't a reason. She's mad.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

e: lol, gently caress it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CornHolio posted:

Given the route Cercei is going, I wouldn't be surprised if Jaime ends up in the same position he is before, forced to slit her throat as she tries to burn the city to the ground out of spite.

Then her Targ ancestry will be revealed somehow.
If he were smart he'd just let Dany into the throne room. They'd both be too busy fighting over the match to actually go through with it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

Please he doesn't even have a Navy.
Yeah!

She'll marry Gendry.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Walrus posted:

imo jon painted those cave drawings himself
Nah, he's too stupid.

Davos did it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, she was parrying the blows sideways with the strong of her blade. That looked totally fine.

And ironically, Gwendolin Christie swinging a sword like it's a baseball bat goes without comment. Although to be fair, nearly everyone else on the show does too.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven't swordfought for real but wouldn't Brienne's strength and size re: Arya mean that Arya's arm would be the breaking point, not her sword? Like if I swing a toy sword at my 6-year-old cousin he can block me fine but his tiny baby arms vs my rippling adult biceps mean he still drops his "guard," I just swat his sword out of the way.

Genuinely curious.
You might find Matt Easton interesting. He's a historical fencing instructor, and has worked as a consultant for TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epxdxcy6dYs&t=655s

I've heard HEMA is getting more and more exposure in TV/film stunt teams, so hopefully the quality of choreography will generally get better and better.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

She had unspent perk points.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bronn isn't going to leave him to drown, not while he still owes him a loving castle.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lycus posted:

Davos would've drawn butterflies and palm trees and shown Missandei.
Nah. Tyrion and Davos are trying to get these dumb petulant kids to cooperate with each other... so they hatch a plan to get them talking. They both sneak into the cave at night and paint a fairytale on the wall as a joint venture.

That's why the Children of the Forest part is at knee height, and the White Walkers are at eye level...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Because the Hound slowed her down, he stopped at every KFC on the way.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

kiimo posted:

They referenced the Lascaux cave paintings in the discussion.

Can you imagine if the cave paintings looked this fresh

That looks like it was drawn five minutes ago but it was drawn 20,000 loving years ago.
I'm surprised Disney hasn't tried to sue tbh.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Jaquen owned before they made him into a boring monk
That's the tricky thing with faceless men.

You don't know if you're getting the guy who can kill a dozen dudes in the blink of an eye while kickflipping off walls and throwing out snazzy one liners, or if you're getting Roger from Accounts.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Game of Thrones isn't really set in a time period. Like most fantasy, it's an ahistorical mish mash based on mostly on stereotypes and misinformation (i.e. bullshit).

Perestroika posted:

The dynamic where you regularly cart poo poo to the army from all the way back in your home territory didn't really take off until about the napeoleonic era.
Not really.

Put it this way, the legionaries didn't build all those roads because Romans have a gravel fetish.

And contrary to what Frank Miller would have you believe, Xerxes' invasion of Greece didn't fail because a bunch of buff half naked dudebros stood on a mountain pass for a bit, but because the Athenians managed to cut off his naval supply routes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

Theon's big winterfell s/whack
Fixed.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Doesn't stop him from having reaction shots where he has an obviously shady smirk on his face.
Yeah, that's getting annoying. I wish Arya would just shank him already.

Or Sansa should lure him to the top of the broken tower, then shove him off and shout "where's your loving ladder now?!" at him as he falls.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Cersei would marry the Night King in a heartbeat
She wishes.

We all saw the Night King mirin' Jon at Hardhome.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

IT BURNS posted:

At least we'll get a cool Hardhome-style Night King resurrection scene if the WWs somehow kill a dragon (ice ballistas?).
Undead giants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Q5JTbJ4fo

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know that Dany's being portrayed as a hero and nothing makes you smarter or cooler on the internet as taking a contrary stance, but don't be so loving lazy and obvious about it you half-rate edgelords.
She's just done the exact same thing that got her father, a man people said was mad, deposed... for being mad.

She's mad.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CornHolio posted:

One thing I've always really liked about the show and the books is the not-often-mentioned but super-important relationship between Lyanna and Rhaegar. There's an entire story there that's fleshed out but not written. Rhaegar is prince and married, but falls in love with Lyanna, who is meant for Robert. They're married and he steals her away, Robert explodes and starts the rebellion and wins, Rhaegar is killed in battle, Lyanna dies giving birth to their only child. It sets in motion everything in Game of Thrones but the story itself is only alluded to and hinted at.

You really get the sense that Robert was the bad guy all along.
Robert didn't start the rebellion. Jon Arryn started the rebellion because the king demanded he behead his two wards, men who were like his sons, for the crime of being related to the people he'd just tortured to death.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I was sad that they never mentioned that the Tarlys stood with her father. Thought that would've counted for something.
Yeah. It wasn't just "the Tarlys" either, it was that Tarly in particular!

He won one of the few loyalist victories to boot IIRC.

Burning them was entirely unnecessary. Edmure Tully spent years as a hostage on the show, so the "but they don't have the facilities for long term incarceration!" line of reasoning isn't really valid.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CornHolio posted:

I'd say it was still Robert that started it. If he had just recognized that he had lost Lyanna to Rhaegar and not fought to try to keep her, everything would have been avoided.

He says that Rhaegar kidnapped her, but I think he knew all along that she very intentionally ran off with him, and it was his jealous and rage that kicked everything off.
The only reason we know they eloped is because we're peeking over the fourth wall, the narrative accepted by everyone is he kidnapped her (even the king thought this as far as I know).

And again the rebellion wasn't started because of the kidnapping, that was just a catalyst. It was started because the king demanded that Jon Arryn murder what were in effect his own foster sons. Arryn replied "gently caress you, come and do your own dirty work".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Walrus posted:

the targaryens are the rightful rulers of westeros except for a betrayal of duty tho
They're rightful rulers only insofar as they won it through force of arms. I mean, none of the claimants are legitimate from a modern standpoint. Not a single one of them got a sword thrown at them by a watery tart.

To make a case for the rebels: They were only rebels because they had each other's backs when the rest of the kingdoms were turning a blind eye to blatant abuses of power. When you think about it, is that really a betrayal? Who were they betraying? Loyalty is a two way street. Aerys demanded loyalty, but he offered only injustice and tyranny in return. They didn't owe him a loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Night King is a waste not want not kinda guy, so they keep having to wait for the dismembered guys to catch up.

• Locked thread