Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

VJeff posted:

12 year old me thought that Cell purposefully took out Trunks first cause he saw him as a threat, because surely after spending another day in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Trunks could hold his own against Cell! :lol:

I mean, probably not a big threat, but since Cell basically got a sneak attack for free, he might as well be careful and use it on someone, and Trunks is arguably the best choice, if you assume Vegeta doesn't care about his son and isn't gonna get a tantrum power up.

A sneak attack on Gohan, the only real threat there probably wouldn't have worked.
Vegeta likes to gently caress around and hates teamwork. Unless Cell were to really piss him off, (which he did,) he definitely wouldn't interfere until the fight was done.
Presumably he didn't even register any of the non-Saiyans as any kind of threat at all--maybe not the best idea with Kikoho and Destructo Disc being things, but gently caress if they ever remember they have those moves when it would be useful.
But Trunks is as strong as Vegeta, without his love of fighting and vague sense of fair play. That's not strong enough to be a threat in a fair fight still, but Trunks doesn't care about having a fair fight. The whole "shooting a beam at Cell during the beam struggle" thing that Vegeta wound up doing? Now that Cell is willing to blow up the planet anyways and there's no reason to play by his rules, Trunks almost definitely would have gone for that. And, I mean, we saw how Vegeta going for that worked out, I doubt it'd have gone much better for him with Trunks doing it. Almost definitely the biggest threat that he could actually eliminate there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

What the gently caress does Bulma see in Vegeta anyway?

Well, first of all he's incredibly muscular and will remain at peak hotness until his 80s. Pretty sure the trophy husband thing is a part of it, or at least was at some point.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
. . . you keep saying that Vegeta saved one planet, but didn't Buu blow up a LOT of planets last time he went on a rampage, plus kill 4 Kais and leave us with Shin in charge?

So really he risked Double Death to save . . . the entire universe? Or at least as much as Buu could wreck before Beerus woke up. That's gotta be worth a lot of good karma, if that's how you're looking at it.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

it's hosed up because Tien deserves all that

I suppose I don't know Tien that well since I've only seen Z and Super (and GT, unfortunately), but I'm pretty sure Tien could have all that if he wanted, but he doesn't.
He's into the whole disciplined, ascetic monk thing, right?

. . . also, I wouldn't mind seeing Pikkon again, for like, an episode or two.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

No that was Dabura

I thought Dabura was literally sent to Heaven because he had enough pull in Hell to keep it from being any kind of punishment?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Petiso posted:

That's funny because Piccolo says the charge time is because the technique is still incomplete, yet Super sticked to it.

There's one instance of Piccolo using a nameless but similar shaped ki blast against Nappa that people have theorized is the completed Makankosappou but choose to ignore it because that'd be super lame.

Maybe that's the completed Makankosappou as he planned it, with a better use time / power ratio, but since he's always fighting people stronger than him from here on, often with help, the stronger, "incomplete" version with the long charge time is actually more useful?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

amigolupus posted:

It's probably just that the Super writers forgot that detail.

I mean, yeah, but that's not as much fun.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I have no nostalgia for the Bardock special, so I have no problem with Minus.

As far as I can tell, that is legitimately the only reason, in reverse, for people to have the bile that they do for it.

I wouldn't call it full blown bile, but it's me, I'm the one who likes neither Bardock.

To be fair, I don't like Jor-El either. Both Goku and Superman fall characters whose birth parents we should never ever meet, implied to be unremarkable if mentioned at all to me, and neither Bardock is interesting enough to really justify breaking that.

Special dislike for Bardock and Gine being the nicest Saiyans and for Bardock being the one to confront Freeza, though.
So, first part of the Broly movie is like the worst of both worlds to me.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 28, 2019

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kild posted:

AFAIK yes he's turned into a peak version of that species.

PHYSICAL peak, so he'd have the Ginyu problem of having an impossible martial arts master's body but not actually knowing much martial arts.

Pretty sure Alien X is literally omnipotent though.

Wait did anyone ever train Broly?
He'd pretty much turn into Broly, right?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 10, 2020

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Of course, now we have Ultra Instinct being combined with a Super Saiyan form, so once more, power ups are bullshit.

I'm think, that talk with Whis a few chapters ago implied that Ultra Instinct, the technique where your body goes on autopilot, and Ultra Instinct, the transformation where your body goes on autopilot and powers up to angelic levels, aren't actually the same thing. The transformation comes with the technique, but you can learn to do it without transforming, which Goku and Whis are working on, since Goku can't hold Omen for long and can't even do the full thing at will.

Unfortunately, no matter how fast you can react with the technique, which he still hasn't mastered out of the form, it doesn't matter if your body isn't fast enough to actually move in time. Hence, using the technique in a Super Saiyan form to get around that a bit. But it's still actually a power DOWN compared to the full transformation.
Well, for now, but watch him stack a Super Saiyan form or Kaioken on top of the full transformation later because of the practice he's getting now.

Also drat it phone posting, post is not bb

Captain France fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 23, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Freeza doesn't want to kill Vegeta, he would just prefer it if he died in a way Freeza finds amusing.

He DOES want to kill Goku, but he wants to beat him at full power in a fair fight to humiliate him first.

You know, like Goku did to him on Namek.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

The universe doesn't end, but presumably with something mean enough to take out your divine hierarchy running around, things are going to get real bad because presumably they're not going to stop there. Majin Buu only barely got stopped from killing everyone and everything by the fat supreme kai getting absorbed and turning Buu into Fat Buu. Future Trunks's world is also a pretty good example, though that was a deliberately targeted assassination strike.

Sounds like a good reason to have a backup GoD to take care of that. Assuming that is something the GoD is supposed to take care of and that they aren't sleeping.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Black August posted:

Ok follow this, your post gave me the idea of Trunks-as-villain, going all the way back to Android Saga, in which you justify a future in which Trunks never clearly learns the entire story of the past and his family, but is able to finish the time machine his mother started from instructions, and tries to go back to stop what he thinks CAUSED the androids - primarily Goku. His task of survival semi-alone in the hell timeline means he powerlevels to Super Saiyan. He shows up, finds the Z fighters already contending with Frieza, aces him and Cold like nothing to do the typical villain's-strength establishment, and then he begins to immediately harass everyone else. They hold him off until Goku arrives, they duke it to a standstill, and then you just lead from there. The twist being him discovering who his parents are, Goku's innocence, the mass assault of 16-17-18-19-20, and then leading into a Cell finale where Trunks finally fully joins them as a hero.

I'm pretty sure that's just Silver The Hedgehog in Sonic 2006.

Who, to be fair, feels like a pretty obvious Trunks reference.

Edit--
Not that its a bad idea.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Darko posted:

No, he's not Saiyan. He has to put his ki up to actively block things.

So basically, yes but only if he's paying attention.

Actually that might add up with Launch. Did she ever shoot anyone who wasn't paying attention?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I like Yamcha Hole 2: Super because it is both Yamcha getting owned AND Yamcha being awesome. The crossfire from that fight could have killed a universe, but Yamcha made it to base alive.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

Going off the recent history of the series, Gohan's gonna get punched in the gut once and be completely defeated in seconds and then Goku will show up, beat the villains easily and say "wow I am so disappointed in my worthless loser son, Gohan"

Goku is so proud of Gohan, he on e responded to, basically, "you're such an rear end in a top hat it drags down your whole universe's average" with "yes, but my son Gohan is so loving great he makes up for it and then some."

So exactly what you said and but Goku is going to say "I'm so proud of you, son" instead.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

'Too broken' Didn't he loving lose his 1 fight with it? And then was instantly outclassed by his dad and vegeta.

Gohan fans need to just realize the kid's a dud, always has been always will be. he's got less W's on the board than Krillin and less fun fights than Chiaotzu

He should stick to being a scholar/family man who isn't really keeping up with the heaviest hitters because he's not into it, but still shows up when it's all hands on deck because if Krillin is still showing up he has no excuse he cares and can help.

Also maybe quit going backwards constantly.

Also train more with his wife Videl should totally get to be a Z Fighter.

(Or maybe Piccolo shows up for training one day while Gohan's busy and Videl goes instead so Piccolo doesn't have to leave to go train alone. In spite of Piccolo's hesitancy it goes well and now it's a thing.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Dignity posted:

He doesn't start to run out of juice until he goes 100% super muscle mode, which is after the spirit bomb. The spirit bomb hosed him up as much as the kaioken kamehameha did Vegeta, which is to say, not much

Just enough to make him go
"Wait can he keep doing that? That could be a problem, I should take this more seriously."

Like, it didn't do much, but it did enough that if Freeza were to stand still while Goku spammed it, it'd kill him eventually.

Which is more than anything else he'd been hit with in years, besides the Destructo Disk.
(That was before this right?)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean, we don't know how hard age hits Saiyans, just that they're in their prime until their 80s. They could waste away into complete skeletons all at once and might not even have more than a few years as old men.

If that were the case, I could see Goku giving up his last couple years having a last fight with Vegeta while he can. If he could have a decade or two left, he'd probably retire with his family, but he's spent a year or two just training in the Time Chamber for the hell of it before.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Re: The head thing

Hasn't it been shown that the baby pods have a "wake up, time to kill everyone" recording?

They probably have other things too and the head bonk knocked him out of baby hypnosis or something.

Or just not being able to pursue his programming gave Gohan a much easier chance to get rid of it.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Shyrka posted:

Yeah, Goten and Trunks love fusing and that's why Gotenks will never do anything.

I do think it would've been funny to let Gotenks take part in the ToP on the basis that he'll surely get eliminated within half an hour so he'll just be a single entrant for his whole time on the field and he'd probably cause some chaos in that time.

Would've been better than loving Tien. How come he never got disqualified for his lovely multiform that didn't even do anything? loving loser.

edit: Hurr I'm gonna split myself into 4 dudes and run straight at the sniper and let him blast me. gently caress off Tien.

I mean the half hour is lowered by doing things, isn't it?

Enter Gotenks as one fighter, then when it runs out say he used a Fission technique.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bulma invented the Dragon Radar that gets large segments of the population wished back regularly, at least.

And Vegeta is foreign royalty, he's got the ultimate tax dodge.

If Goku and Superman fused, what would their name me? Son Clarku Kent? Kalkarot-El? Oddly enough I reckon a confusing but fitting name might be Super Goku.

Gokuman.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact. They did not say only good people. They said bring back everyone who died since yesterday, except for the ones that were really evil. Ginyu Frog, Pilaf, and new Red Ribbon guys probably were just not evil enough to count.

Between being a magical dragon immune to consequences whose own morality seems to end at "Freeza was a dick and his people are annoying I'm at least going to bring him back in pieces" and the sheer scale and complication of that request, Shenron wisely decided to be incredibly high in his standards for "really evil."

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Moro was cool until he was Cell, then he was cool again for a teensy bit when he was the planet.

It just loving sucked when he was a punchman instead of an old goat wizard.

Granolah is cool as hell, and Gas could have been cool. The stuff where his brother sold off his lifespan without telling him, to get him a cheating power up he doesn't even want has potential. The energy weapons are cool as hell. Then he got lame when he stopped using them.

If he was going to get ANOTHER power up, it should have just been him getting frustrated at how unfamiliar his stolen moves are and resolving to just go back to his own stuff. Say his last power up was a power down or that this is a power up because he's using the stuff he practiced or because his heart's in it now or something.

I guess they could still do that, but I don't want this fight to have ANOTHER phase.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Gohan goes to therapy arc, we can finally put an end to the fan debates about whether or not the Great Saiyaman is an expression of his Ginyu force related trauma.

I would watch this.

Bonus points if we occasionally get cuts to Goku and Vegeta doing a normal DBZ arc that we only get to see snippets of.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Honestly I think that would be giving Jiren's complex far too much credit. The point of revealing his backstory is to show that he's let his past dictate his entire life and it's closed him off to forming new relationships and valuing other peoples lives, if it looped back round to being a present plot point and making him a pawn of Belmond it just validates Jiren having been that way up until then. He doesn't need to fight Evil Doer to get closure, he just needs to move on and accept new things into his life.

Jiren finally tracks down Evil Doer, learns that he's already dying of old age or something.

. . .
Jiren borrows the dragonballs from U7 to wish Evil Doer back to full strength so he can defeat him properly.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which really only necessitates a dramatic reveal if it’s something audiences already recognize.

So…Cell Dorado?

Dr. Gero but super buff.
Just, an absolute unit.
You will be in awe at the size of the lad.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Skeleton Mom posted:

i wouldn't worry too much about internal consistency in dragon ball. super saiyan went from being a once-in-a-generation legendary power to something that a saiyan just unlocked if they got strong and mad enough to something any saiyan could do if they saw it done once. the super saiyan god transformation doesn't make any sense at all, as the ritual just needs 5 people who want it real bad & that would have been so laughably easy to accomplish back before their planet was exploded that the chances of it not even happening by accident is none. and then vegeta just got the transformation off-screen without doing the ritual so who knows what's up with that

they're just going to set up whatever contrivances they need to tell the next cool fight story and they're not worried about it making sense with things written 10-20 years ago, or even stuff written 5 years ago. every new strong guy they encounter is gonna have the "why weren't they at the ToP" question looming over them, and the answer is always gonna be that it doesn't matter don't worry about it

The answer to why any given strong guy from U7 wasn't in the ToP is "Shin is stupid and Beerus is lazy."

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I think the Dragon Ball Multiverse guy and their guest writers/artists really like Bojack because he's generic enough to be basically an OC.

That is the only thing I have ever heard about people liking Bojack.

Pirate, not Horseman.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean, would Android Raditz necessarily need a soul?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 6, 2022

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure that's accurate.

The Buu saga was full of Team fights and it was in almost every situation where someone tried to go at it alone that their got their poo poo wrecked. The big final battles is Goku, Vegeta, Mr. Buu and frigging Mr. Satan all contributing to a victory by working together.

Also for whatever it's worth, Super has a decent amount of team fights, including the finale, AND a pair of villains who were explicitly punching above their weight because of their good teamwork (I mean it was two of the same guy but still,) AND implies that Vegeta is finally caught up with Goku because he found someone to learn from instead of just doing the gravity chamber.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Didn't Piccolo beat up Gohan right before the ToP to properly communicate how much he'd been slacking?

So depending on how much Gohan's been keeping up on training now and how effective Piccolo's training has been lately, he might be above him.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Dignity posted:

I thought that was an TFS invention? Isn't he just straightforwardedly a pacifist outside of Cell extermination in the manga/anime?

TFS inserted it into the show, but IIRC it came from the same Toriyama interview as 17 and 18's birth names being "Lapis" and "Lasuli," and then FighterZ implied it a bunch too.

So, like, Semi-Canon Android 16.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

You know this looks much better in motion than I expected so far.

It's pretty funny though that he apparently managed to get potential unleashed on his own. Like where is he going from there? Potential unleashed 2?

Potential Unleashed God, and then Potential Unleashed God Potential Unleashed.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Covok posted:

Let's start an argument today: what is canon? The movie? The manga? Or the anime?

For any given conversation?
Whatever it is you're talking about.

The True Canon?
The napkins Toriyama took notes on that he then gave to the anime and manga people.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

How's Kakarot as a game, anyway, compared to Xenoverse? I know it's a single-player open-world RPG where you play as Goku rather than a mission-based online-heavy game where you build your own customised character, but apart from that.

The fighting is pretty meh and you've seen the main story before, but some of the side quests are neat and just flying or running around in the big open cell shaded DBZ world is pretty great.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Prepare to be disappointed. Every time we think the manga's turned a corner it lurches straight back into being awful, I just don't think Toyotaro has it in him

I mean, the start of both of the manga only arcs were good.

What he doesn't have in him is bringing anything to a satisfying conclusion ever.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean aside from that one time in the manga I didn't read, have we even seen Beerus trying?

Maybe he gets stronger from getting hit with stuff strong enough to matter to him. We wouldn't know.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

it doesn't matter if goku's dad was a nice guy or a bad guy at all any more than it matters who jor-el was

dead parents, exploded home planet, raised by someone else who taught him right and wrong

those are the things that matter in goku and superman's origins

Mostly this, but I will go one step farther and say that aside from the (does he even count as this anymore?) detail of Bardock being nothing special, I actively do not want to know anything about him. Or Jor-El for that matter.

It feels like it didn't diminishes Goku and Superman's origins to know things about them, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Would it be possible for fused characters to fuse with another fused character, I'm aware the Namekians in the Tournament of Power were thousands of people in two bodies but it was more a what if Gogeta and Gotenks fused with the potara earrings.

I am still annoyed that with all of the stupid poo poo in Heroes, there is still no Vegogigetatto or Govegegittota or Gogetto or Vegita or whatever else you would want to call a Gogeta/Vegitto fusion.
They already have two sets of Gokus and Vegetae, damnit! :argh: