Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also iirc it means 'spotted'.

Spot, the three-headed guardian of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Samovar posted:

Well, to be frank, that's closer to WWI French military-style.

So, you know, barely a skip away from the fascists proper.

Was that the one with Batman using guns, fighting dinosaurs in a hollow Earth and incredible facial expressions?

Helmet is definitely :godwin: though, not even WWI German (rounder, smaller neck flare) but a full on nazi helmet.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

PharmerBoy posted:

Was this supposed to be a pun?

No the blue overcoat is just like a French infantry uniform from late WWI.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I remember playing The Stick of Truth and the whole scene with City Wok trying to ratfuck the new Mongolian restaurant was continuous :chloe:

Really, much of the game was :chloe: to the point that I could never finish it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Genuinely stunned to click that link and realize that Cracked is still in active operation.

Everything Cracked ever did qualifies for this thread.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vitruvian Manic posted:

giving the ring to avatars of manwe would make giving it to galadriel look like a good idea.

The Lord of the Rings but it ends with Manwë becoming Morgoth Mark II. Eru says "gently caress it", destroys all or creation, and sulks by himself in the Timeless Halls forever.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Apr 2, 2022

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: teachers who argue from authority, and especially authority delegated to textbooks supplied by the lowest bidder who can conform to the most conservative content panels in Texas, suck a lot, and ruin children's relationship to knowledge and the world around them.

Counter-counterpoint: A lot of public education isn't really about knowledge. Curious, intelligent people make bad wage slaves who ask too many questions and get in management's way. The problem of lovely working-class education will never be solved because being lovely is the entire point. :capitalism:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jedit posted:

More to do with weebs hijacking and derailing a thread for days on end to talk about their cartoons. They have an entire subforum all to themselves if they want to do that.

If you have some other media that qualifies that, then talk about that and stop making GBS threads up the thread with "anime bad" takes from 2003.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just think if you could go back 15 years and tell yourself that Winamp was the peak media player

:smith:

I switched from foobar2000 back to WACUP (modernized Winamp) a year ago. It doesn't yet support file associations (because modern Windows changed how they work) and has occasional stability issues but works pretty well otherwise.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

I love how writers wave "diplomatic immunity" around like it's a magic get out of jail card for anything. Same with that Lethal Weapon sequel where the south African diplomat can waggle his diplomatic passport at the cops and walk away from murder and drug smuggling. Real diplomats use it to avoid traffic and parking tickets. Anything major and there's an international incident, the perp is at the very least sent home, and the host country does its best to get the person charged there. Which if you're the US can mean a lot of things.

Unless the host country convinces the home country to revoke their diplomatic status in which case it's a trial.

I wonder if the media perception of diplomatic immunity has residue of colonial extraterritoriality because European powers were really big on making their agents above the law basically everywhere in the world in the 19th century.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

"Don't worry, your files are right where you left them. :)" instills the exact opposite emotion in me as intended.

Windows 2000 had the best installer of any Windows because iy had absolutely none of that. Just a TUI that was all business.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

I will keep calling them JRPGs so that I can get pixel remasters of the Dragon Quest games.

I believe the two are related.

They're just different types of games anyway. Chrono Trigger and Baldur's Gate do not scratch the same itch, even if they are both masterpieces of their respective forms. And I think the form matters more than the country; Undertale is absolutely a JRPG, and while I don't know of any Japanese CRPGs offhand, a Japanese studio making an RPG with character building, an open-ended design, long dialogue trees, crunchy stat fiddling, etc. would be making a CRPG and not a JRPG.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Randalor posted:

So which of the following are not JRPGs to you: Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Paper Mario, Star Ocean, Pokemon, Atelier Sophie.

How many of those traits does a game have to have before its a "jRPG"? Why does Commander Shepard not count as a predefined character in a strong, generally linear story? Sure, you have some say in what order you tackle the main quests, but you always have to do certain things in order. The only thing it's missing is the turn-based gameplay. Final Fantasy games stopped being turn based when they hit the SNES and used timers for everything, are they not jRPGs now?

The problem with this sort of essentialism is that a work of art's relation to previous art and artistic tradition/discourse is more important to its genre classification than any individual characteristic. To give an example from another mediun: a band being metal is not defined by power chords or guitar solos or whatever, it comes from a band participating in one of the extant metal discourses and being recognized as doing so by other people within the discourse. Undertale is not a JRPG just because it has menu based combat and a certain art style but because it exists in a cultural discourse that includes Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire, etc. and something like Pillars of Eternity or Mass Effect does not.

But I expect something like that is beyond the capacity of goons to understand so let's just continue arguing over mechanical blood quanta for 50 pages. :eng99:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Well in movies you have spaghetti (Italy) westerns as well, but that really does seem to be a very specifically distinct genre at least visually.

I did see someone suggest that superhero movies should just be called Hamburger Shonens

There's also a distinct style of "US Power Metal" even though it largely died out around 1990 and most power metal bands in the US today play the "European" style, which has recognizable German, Italian, and Finnish substyles.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

credburn posted:

It's called WrongThink, though. Is this not satire?

If all these idiots want to constantly reference 1984 they should at least get the Newspeak right. Wrongthink is ungoodspeakful.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

rodbeard posted:

Flintstones takes place in the future not the past

post-postmodern stone age family

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Captain Planet loving sucked

and to think they canceled SWAT Kats for it (though SWAT Kats might arguably be considered fascist copaganda)

Randalor posted:

... why DID the SDF-1 have the ability to turn into a giant robot (one that would had tiny t-rex arms at that before having the aircraft carriers attached) anyways? Is that ever explained anywhere at all in any of the media?

Macross started as pretty much a Gundam/Real Robot parody before deciding to take itself seriously halfway through. The Macross turns into a kilometer-tall giant robot because it's kind of funny for the transforming giant robot show to have a titular space battleship that is also a transforming giant robot

what is this robotech you speak of, never heard of it :colbert:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:40 on May 6, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

SWAT Kats is kind of fascist in the way that basically all superhero vigilante media is, but the cops in particular are consistently depicted as incompetent assholes. I guess it does have SWAT in its name.

From my memories and a youtube retrospective, I always gathered that the problem with the Enforcers was that they were not powerful and violent enough, and the protagonists are better at copping than the cops--"what if the cops had an air force and bombed people"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving people who say they're fan of Trek in one breath, then go on about it being "woke" in the next just stagger me.

Like, what do you think the United Federation of Planets is if not the wokest wokeness that was ever woke?

Humanity achieving the best of itself does not include racism or homophobia you loving jackasses.

Some guy on the main cast of TNG should have been made to wear the men's miniskirts some of the extras had, I nominate Worf

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

The most unbelievable element of TNG isn't the warp drive or the forehead aliens or the replicators

It's that people in the future are actually professional adults who're able to talk issues through calmly and respectfully in a work environment

I remember in the early 2000s some people on the internet complained about this because they wanted everyone to be a macho rear end in a top hat like in other shows.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Volcott posted:

I've heard sounds from freespace 2 in a police procedural

I'm imagining a cop show where the crooks have a Shivan beam cannon now. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is there any writer/artist from that ‘90s/’00s period who deliberately cultivated a notable online following who didn’t turn out to be a predator? Whedon is the big one, but even weirdo youtube people who are basically not notable tried to get in on that and ended up being rapists.

Fame is bad and makes you a bad person.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mycatscrimes posted:

I would argue it's a mix of societal misogyny and rape culture that's instrumental here. Fame just gives people the power to act on it and helps them get away with it.

I genuinely think there is something dangerous about fame. A lot of indigenous societies, especially the more egalitarian ones that inspired ideas like Marx's primitive communism, would undermine, ridicule, and shame people who tried to show up other people and be recognized for their "greatness". They knew what "great" people would do to their societies if allowed to run rampant. We give such people all the recognition they want and then some. We build shrines and statues to them, become their "fans", indulge their vanity at every turn. And then we wonder why these oversized, overweening personalities, usually men, go on to prey on other people, usually women and children. It's where misogyny and patriarchy come from.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jun 3, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

geeko55 posted:

Super fun game, and I lost it at the secret Grover House level. It's like a NuMetal time portal and despite being a little short I think it's well worth the price.

I am just on the wrong side of 35 to be nostalgic for this, it is like a litmus test for if you remember Linkin Park as the soundtrack of your adolescence or you remember sneering on the internet about :smug: mallcore :smug:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

I'm still angry that Kyp Durron was never held accountable for what was the single greatest war crime the galaxy had ever seen to date. But it's different when a Jedi does it, I guess?

counterpoint: who cares about this disposable garbage book for miseducated children from 30 years ago

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

but why nurse a grudge over an F-list decanonized star war novel that nobody today would read when Warhams is worse in every way and a huge cultural institution? Goons have silly priorities even in the space of pop culture nerd trash.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I love that it only names one of each person's children and then just goes "And they had a bunch more kids over the next few hundred years but they all went into finance so nothing interesting happened to them."

Later-born sons don't inherit the dynasty, so they don't count.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Schubalts posted:

Doesn't he specifically style his hair to make his skullcap less visible? Because he knows the audience he courts is extremely antisemitic?

couldn't he just not wear one in front of his audience? Does the shul he attends have some weird rule where God says you have to have a yarmulke on 24/7? Does he even go to shul?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

I mean I haven't done a poll or anything but of the handful of teens I know I wouldn't say there's any sort of generational backlash against romantic depictions in fiction, except the ones that suck. Kids are still out here writing fanfictions

And admittedly it's speculative but look at this poo poo from the replies:

https://twitter.com/lons/status/1672315437475053569

Come the gently caress on. It's honestly kinda grim seeing folks get into their 30s and start metamorphosing into boomers who make up scary stories about folks younger than them just based off vibes

in 20 years zoomers will say the exact same thing about the people who are babies now, it's just the same thing over and over, even the boomers were once kids being poo poo on by the people who used to be flappers

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean you can say that about literally any plot element or trope. It is good when done well and bad when done poorly.

Have you heard? This is the internet, everything is GENIUS or GARBAGE and here's why, in this 3 hour video essay I will

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

The West Wing was the ultimate liberal fantasy: Eight years in office, always having the moral high ground, always being the smartest people in the room, never accomplishing anything.
I expect the show runners feared the show would not feel "relevant" if they diverged from reality by implemening good policies that didn't exist irl, but that meant they couldn't go more left wing than the Bush administration.

This is to buy into reactionaries' own ideology that they are "conservative" in the literal sense--they are not and have never been, they have always wanted radical, sweeping changes to society to make it more repressive and hierarchical than it has ever been. The really dictionary-definition conservative people of America are centrist liberals, and for them the West Wing represents not only accomplishment, but accomplishing pretty much everything they want, which is to block any substantive change to America's political system and society, in any direction. The West Wing is for people for whom 1990s neoliberal America is just fine, thank you and don't want any new policies at all, because they think any attempt to change America's direction to left or right will screw everything up, and that the world outside will never make conditions in America change if they just want things to stay the same hard enough. They do not just think "this is fine" but "this is great, this is perfect, this is the best society that has ever existed".

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

They think, “this is the natural order of things and the only possibility.”

Still too passive compared to their active, dedicated commitment to making sure nothing changes. They admit other things are possible but actively try to prevent those things from happening. Not a do-nothing presidency, a stop-everything presidency.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Remulak posted:

Showrunning lovely, forgettable TV pays unbelievably better than writing truly great novels that live on forever, even when they’re Pulitzer-prize-winning best-sellers.

Yeah I’m bitter I’d rather have more books from the guy.

:hmmyes: On that note, City of Thieves is better than anything David Benioff wrote for Game of Thrones.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Grease chat reminds me of how I recently tried to watch a 1948 film called Germany: Year Zero about a 12 year old boy struggling to survive in the ruins of a German city while his dad is too sick to work and his brother refuses to register to work because he was an SS war criminal. Anyway, in desperation the kid accepts an offer for help from another Nazi his brother knows. I don't think it was the director's intention because the movie never points it out but the Nazi reads today as a screamingly obvious pedo who never takes his hands off the kid, holding his shoulder as he tskes him to his apartment (:stonk:) and then caressing his face, neck, and shoulders like a puppy (:barf:)as he convinces him to join what is essentially a gang.

After that scene, I didn't finish the movie. Supposedly the kid ends up doing a bunch of crimes, has underage sex with a woman, poisons his father, and kills himself. The synopses make no mention that the creepy Nazi is supposed to be a predator. Even disregarding the story, the actor playing the Nazi is literally assaulting a child ON CAMERA and this was apparently fine in 1948.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Sep 18, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Last Action Hero is one of my faves and is criminally underrated. It definitely gets weaker once they return to the real world, but it's still very good.
It - along with the two Terminator movies - is also clear proof that Arnold was absolutely a good actor and he either chose or was directed to give his distinctive "bad" performances in most of his other films. Like just compare Arnie and Patrick in T2 to how most other people play Terminators - they come across as actual inhuman machines, while most actors just come across bored or stoic. Nailing that performance is actually really difficult.

I wonder sometimes how T2 would have turned out with the original choice of Blackie Lawless of WASP as the T-1000 (vetoed by Arnold for being taller than him). Certainly the T-1000 role goes against the horny wild man persona Blackie cultivated as a metal musician.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aramek posted:

Also how were any of the characters in Fight Club failed men? They all had, like, jobs and stuff. They should just stop feeling unfulfilled.

Oh fuckin boo hoo, you have ennui because you work in a bank or whatever, go play videogames and watch cartoons you whiny sack of poo poo.

This is dumb. There is a reason why "material prosperity does not guarantee mental and spiritual well being" has been a pillar of basically every moral philosophy of the past 3000 years.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aramek posted:

Yeah they didn't have videogames and cartoons 3000 years ago, so I get it.

those are no substitute for a healthy social life and a useful role in society either

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Caligula was the third emperor.

If Trump is Caligula we have four more centuries of America. Which I think is overly optimistic.

or 1400 years if forums user Byzantine is reading this post

Trump is more like Honorius.

E: and don't believe scandalous stories about Roman emperors, many of them were made up by political enemies or associates of the guys who couped them.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Sep 28, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

"According to contemporary sources ancient American Emperor Barracka Sotoro Hussein Osama was a foreign usurper who overthrew the reigning warlord BusHitler and proceeded to ban all weaponary and institute a brutal program of mandatory healthcare. In his private life he indulged in his two favorite vices of tobacco and male prostitutes"
-Historians in 4057 or something

more like the historians would just uncritically repeat pizzagate verbatim, the primary source Forchaen said it, would he lie to us?

E: there is evidence that the Roman proletarii liked Nero and underground hero cults around him sprung up after his death, some of them prophesying his eventual return to destroy the senate and equites once and for all

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Sep 28, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

This is my OC, Tyler the hedgehog

:drat:

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

big mean giraffe posted: