Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So I just found this wand in a Tier 10 map and I have no idea if it's valuable/how valuable it is, or how/if I should go about crafting to make it better.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm terrible at pricing items in general, especially once shaped mods get thrown in the mix. Would this be worth anything?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

docbeard posted:

My biggest problem with the campaign is that once you've gone through it one time, there's no real mystery or variety there any more (barring the occasional shakeups GGG does, and you can only pull a trick like moving Brutus once).

This is coward talk. You can move Brutus as much as you like.

Vaal Oversoul down, you stand by the door to wait for it to open -- boom, it knocks you back and stuns you as Brutus Kool-Aid mans through!
You blast that weird cannon thing into the Beast, ready to dive into the literal bowels of a mountain -- but before you can Brutus leap slams your rear end and it's boss battle time!
You've finally managed to down Sirius on a cobbled-together jalopy of a build, you lean down to grab the Awakener's Orb that dropped -- nope, Awakened Brutus pops out and it's time for the new final battle!

Hire me GGG

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

GGG's writing owns, because it's a super grimdark setting where you more or less bring about the apocalypse, but instead of going "You fool, you absolute dingus, you have made this lovely world even shittier" the game basically goes "Hey, the gods have bodies, right? I wonder if they bleed?" and it turns out they do so you murder the world into a better place.

More dark fantasy settings need to lean into the idea that yea, the world is an awful place, but that applies to the assholes ruling it too.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

Murdering the gods just makes it worse though!

Sirus blows up the city you saved in A10 during his fight!

Oh wow lol I'm super casual and never make it to Sirius. I thought you left this world a decent place and hosed off to other, more nightmarish planes of existence with better loot.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I found a Kaom's Heart this league and I don't care that it's been a literal decade since it was an endgame chase item with +1,000 hp. I've been after one for years and it's still beautiful in my heart.

That said I wouldn't mind 1.0 Kaom's coming back.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Did an ancient wizard RIP a hardcore toon back in Diablo 2 and curse the genre with bad visual feedback forever or something? I've played way too many of these games and the one thing they all have in common is when you die you can never figure out which particle effect did the deed.

The curse even affects adjacent games! ToME4, which is a fairly traditional roguelike with Diablo-style magic and rare items, somehow had the same problem when I last played it despite being turn-based. Yes, you could stop and examine rare monsters but the game has so many abilities and stats that nine times out of ten you'd miss the two or three otherwise innocuous skills that combine to turn the thing into a one-shot machine.

Is there any ARPG with clear feedback GGG can learn from?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

poemdexter posted:

In all honestly, Diablo 3 had the absolute best visual clarity out of any ARPG I've ever played.

You're probably right, but even as someone who enjoys D3 that's kind of damning with faint praise. The color contrast is much better than POE's shades of mud, but there's still so much poo poo flying around and higher Grifts scale damage so hard I still feel like I pop out of nowhere.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. :corsair:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

whydirt posted:

Yeah my biggest issue with PoE right now isn’t power level it’s feature bloat. I just have no motivation to grind through the atlas and all the pve systems yet another time.

Personally it's partially this, but also skill bloat for me. It's not enough to grab whatever the expected % defenses on the tree, some damage and any interesting keystones, you need to understand obscure mechanics of your active gems and chosen defenses to layer on multiplicative damage sources and defenses. There are so many supports, notables, niche but potentially vital uniques and influenced mods that I can't even begin to put together a functional build. If you want to add in cluster jewels and that kind of bullshit planning a decent build becomes a full-time job.

There's gotta be a happy medium between D3's "Blizzard picks the viable builds each season" and PoE's "you need an advanced degree in sphere grids to make a build feel good to play."

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

queeb posted:

I dunno why people got bent out of shape about void leagues. Nobody plays standard anyways but there'd always be a ton of bitching.

My brother actually plays Standard! He's using it to build the most powerful Glacial Hammer Templar possible.

When he gets bored at the end of any given league he liquidates all his poo poo and either purchases upgrades for that character or waits for the raw currency to funnel down to look for/craft stuff in Standard. He's been at it for years and last I checked he said he was approaching mirror-tier gear even with the wonky way he's building.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Now I want to know what items are considered bad in poe1/2. Pretty much all weapons can be upgraded to mythical in poe2, even though mythical weapons are already overkill for the game. I don't recall the weapon upgrade system in poe1 because I always used buff rear end wizards summoning their spears of death to melee everything down.

I'm not an other-PoE build expert, but as far as I can tell there aren't any bad items. Some are better than others (looking at you, Bittercut and Devil of Caroc Breastplate) but even the worst items are at least usable and in some cases actually optimal for certain gimmick builds. Of course, itemization with a few dozen predetermined weapons is a completely different beast than a loot game like this PoE. A big reason the PoE items are so balanced is because the devs are working under a highly controlled power level, which doesn't exist in world with mirrors and chase items.

e: This even carries over to the wizard buffs. My latest PoE2 run was a Wizard/Ranger using the Minor Blights spell, usually one of the more mediocre summoned weapons, but because I built around it I was chunking encounters with what amounted to infinite, super-accurate, bouncing party-friendly fireballs that always targeted an enemy's worst armor type.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 26, 2021

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Politeness costs nothing. :)

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Truga posted:

i thought only "cracked" items have a lower base value which is why you never pick them up

There are different values on every piece of armor, but they're all so tiny that they don't matter outside maybe insane people who look for perfect base rolls on top of perfect mods.

As an example Ancient Armor rolls between 208 and 233 armor. An item with 400% increased armor makes that 832 to 932, but once you've fully geared up and stacked your armor total into the thousands losing out on 100 points literally doesn't make a difference.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Erulisse posted:

Benny Hill music or bust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te2klTPtILs&t=10s
:colbert:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

man the mtx to turn the raging skull thigny into bees is tempting

Man I just got done browsing the sale and breathed a sigh of relief because nothing called out to me. Must have missed that one.

How is SRS as a league starter anyway? If it's a good'un I may pull the trigger.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thinkin' about a Necromancer this league. Kay's guides seem comprehensive, so I assume they're a good resource?

Another question: is the chaos recipe worth it if you're a very, very slow player? I only get 1-2 hours in on the average day, so I won't be hitting maps until at least 4-5 days into the league. Once I'm there I take my time, usually running one or two maps at a time in between other stuff rather than setting up dedicated hours to go fast as possible.

I ask because a lot of the downsides I see when reading about the recipe is that if you're zooming through multiple maps efficiently the precious seconds spent grabbing and vendoring rares adds up. Not sure if that's less of an issue if I was never going fast between maps no matter what, or if only stopping for currency and top-tier bases is the right call anyway.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

I don’t need to go fast because I loot and ID rares

Same OP, you can never be sure that an insane confluence of previously undiscovered bugs ISN'T going to turn that level 46 Faun's Horn into a mirror-tier monstrosity once the scroll touches it.

The universe is full of possibilities! :peanut:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

theshim posted:

so how do you type with boxing gloves on

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

TheRat posted:

Think Im caught up on invites, shout if you need one. Bonus speed if you quote me.

Can I get an invite for SinneadOConnorReference?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Mechanic is great because a spooky lady showed up and said "Heard you like killing" and I said "Hell yeah you heard right" and now once I'm done clearing a screen of monsters I press the button labeled MURDER and get a fresh screen full of monsters that need killing

What I'm saying is it may not be profitable but it's way more fun than explosive supply chain puzzles

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So Tujen just dropped this deal on me:

I have no idea how common Expedition currency is this league yet, should I start saving my pennies or sigh and move on?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

buy logbooks with black scythe expeditions available and bless them for explosives count, you'll make your money back in gumball drops and rack up artifacts real fast

Derp I forgot that the currency went untradable but logbooks are still around, thanks for the advice!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

Slams got heavily nerfed when seismic cry was killed last league

I’m sure some work still

Not a slam but I'm playing Chemist's Boneshatter Zerker and it uses 3-4 warcries so it plays similarly. Made it to the end of yellow maps on ~25c of gear (15 was the weapon) and I'm sailing through reds with about another ex invested. Bosses are a bit rough because you have to line up everything or do zero damage and Veritana never leaves her stupid cloud, but that's part of the fun.

My second character is a skele mage summoner so it's a great duality. I can piano or zone out to fit my mood.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

What are you following for skelly mages

Kay's, just in white maps with twinked gear (badly scourged but not bricked 6l Fleshcrafters aren't that expensive) so we'll see how it changes later on.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

How tanky is an unlinked Animate Guardian on a build with a smattering of defensive minion nodes? Probably about 90% increased health and 3% regen all said, not a ton but maybe better than nothing.

I have a free gem slot and I'd love to toss some cheap utility uniques on the sucker, but if I'm going to have to trade for half-a-dozen 1c items every time I visit a conqueror it's not worth the hassle.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

As someone who played the poo poo out of this game during the beta and just kind of vaguely follows development now, they missed the key ingredient that would get me to come back for this: a time machine to bring me back to college when I had free time do deal with all this bullshit.

That plus the fact that beta PoE warts and all was trying to be a good game, while this seems to be trying to be a parody of peoples' complaints about the direction the game has taken?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The manifestos have me thinking about coming back this league for the first time in a year-ish, but I'd be getting a late start and don't really feeling like dealing with trade so I might try SSF. How bad of an idea is this if I only half-understand crafting and don't have hours each day to sink into the game? Over the course of a season I generally just aim to hit red maps and maybe take a crack or two at the endgame bosses, so my goals aren't super high.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of finding/upgrading my own gear rather than zooming through maps ignoring anything that isn't currency, and I'm at least capable of putting together basic equipment, but the time factor is a big deal.

Might give it a shot and if it sucks, ah well. I just really hate sitting in trade instead of playing the game, even if it lets me zoom through tiers of content, so maybe I'll actually last longer before burnout even with a longer grind.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Keru posted:

You don't _have_ to use trade, you could just do what a lot of other goons do: play the game in trade, maybe dip into the guild stash or ask if anyone's got a thing you want/need for a build and only trade within that (or in #5555, the 'general goons' global channel ingame). SSF started that way, before it was an actual 'league' mode of its own, just as an unenforced thing people did for a challenge.

This is a really good compromise I hadn't thought of! Filling out the atlas and plugging resistance holes were the main things I was dreading, and the guild stash/goon-only trades should be a huge help there.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

How is Contagion/ED Trickster looking? I wanna run Trickster but I've done Cold DoT as an Occultist and want to check out something new (to me).

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Stux posted:

im still determined to find a way to use anything other than traps alongisde rf. i hate throwing traps

Go old school and channel Scorching Ray.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Anyone played Consecrated Path totems recently? Seeing some complaints that it gets slaughtered by spells without high investment, and I'm starting with a ~5 divine budget that I don't want to waste on something that can't reasonably boost itself higher.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I did some chain running t1 strands for essences and low stress play

I need to spam the poo poo out of some corrupted essences for an upgrade and I got the time for some chill play over the next few days, so is there a strategy to this beyond "grab all essence nodes, run easy maps?" Like, should I be full-clearing or just kill the trapped monster and leave? Are there any other nodes I should be speccing into?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

You miss all the mirror-tier ilvl78 rings you don't ID!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Heist is a shame for me because actually I like doing contracts/blueprints but for whatever reason I hate grinding out the crew's levels even though it's pretty much the same gameplay loop, so I end up skipping it most leagues unless I have a build that's good for it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

goferchan posted:

I haven't been playing for too long relative to a lot of people in here but I've got to ask, why is it expected for "slow and tanky" builds to be rewarded or viable? Outside of (in theory) boss killing (and there are probably better ways to do that in practice), there doesn't really seem to be any content or mechanic that encourages a slow and tanky playstyle. Was this not the case at some former point?

Back in the bad old days of open beta, when the skill tree was much more boring, the Scion was in development and the game ended after temple Piety, the player power level was really, really low so tankiness was more important. Kaom's Heart and Shavronne's Wrappings were big-ticket items and the room-clearing abilities of a mid-tier modern build were relegated to the ultra rich.

It was a legitimately worse game back then in many ways and while I like the idea of slow and tanky builds being better rewarded that ship sailed a decade ago for POE.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So I was poking around the wiki and found a link to an old build of the week episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_6tV6Q_1V0

It's crazy how far we've come. Some really choice quotes in that video.

"Should this build find a six link..."
"Clear maps in minutes..." <shows excruciating footage of taking ages to kill anything>
"Can't handle bosses with lots of life..."
"Has an entire secondary skill for handling reflect"

Real eye opener.

e: triple life flask lol

Every league I'm amazed all over again when passable 6Ls are available for a handful of chaos just a few days in. The idea that a 6L with mid-tier life, stats and not one but two(!) resists should be expensive is burned into my psyche.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My weta box had those burning boots in it, which I guess is a sign that I should go from maybe starting RF to definitely.

How do people feel about Jugg vs. Inquis? Looking at Pohx's stuff Jugg is easier to gear but Inquis does better at bossing, if I'm reading that right. I hate bossing anyway so I'd roll Jugg in that case.

also,

Captain Foo posted:

Movement skill on W gang

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Leatherhead posted:

Woof. Time to watch some youtube videos I guess. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

It sounds confusing but its actually 100% simpler than the Conquerors ever were. No more worrying about spawning the right boss in the right region, for instance. The first couple pinnacle bosses/voidstones in particular only care about map tier and are super easy to unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Clocks posted:

Dang, there is like really nothing special for RF in the crucible trees (just some fire dmg/fire dot multi, but those are random nodes rather than capstone nodes).

Honestly I'm fine with this, I'm league starting RF to be chill and take it slow and not having a crazy chase crucible node to look out for just makes that all the easier.