Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I'm angry and scared for my friends in HK over this men in white shirts with clubs situation and I don't know how to help them from half a world away. this is bullshit. stay safe caberham. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

so uh I just lurk but I've read what i feel are some pretty callous stuff in this thread and I mean, I get that. it's the internet. but here's a person who's been a member of this community for a decade posting about how they're scared enough a distant government is going to impose its will on him from a thousand miles away that he's taken to the streets, and you guys can't hold the screeds about how suppression of dissent is good for bitcoin Number communism for long enough to show some minimal solidarity with his struggle?

everything from billionaires, organ harvesting, re-education camps and suppression of dissent are all good or necessary for communism, if you think about it, and as someone who doesn't think good I just feel like that .. can't be right?

anyway I'd like fries with my big mac please.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

every day I thank the CCP for keeping my friends in HK safe from the CIA's tanks

two hours every morning including wind down. then i lift

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i already am eating from the thread all the time. the name of this thread is ideology.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

is imperialism a complex of emergent properties inherent to social structures that afford one nation the ability to subjugate another , and do those structures emerge when nations expand to a scale where their relative power so far exceeds any other within its space that it\s both materially easier for less powerful nations to join them than withstand the intrinsic pressure of their expansion and materially easier for the more powerful nation to subjugate than coexist with the less powerful ones ?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

is there more

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thanks, the 1b1r builders one is lovely.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

when the west first started building self-driving vehicles, they quickly discovered that autonomous personal cars would not work on roads made for people. to combat the problem, western scientists spent two decades and $143 trillion to develop an autonomous car that sort of drives, parks, plays video games, and mines cryptocurrency while it charges.

the chinese used a tram.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thanks, i hate this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

brugroffil posted:

pretty good breakdown of that terrible The Economist "model" estimating global covid deaths by country

https://twitter.com/drStuartGilmour/status/1457247184106053633

get there rear end stuart

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Top City Homo posted:

my theory has always been that the PRC uses the USA as a Palantir into the future for "if we gently caress up the economy completely, gut the interior with drugs, unemployment and plague, and just go hog wild with bullshit economic bubbles, how will our economy look in 30 years?" then adjust in the opposite direction.

:nsavince:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Azathoth posted:

i dunno if it's an official thing but the way that media has taken to reporting on casualties is that they only report what has been "confirmed" for whatever level of confirmation seems appropriate. it is supposed to deal with the problem where media would report "as many as X killed" based on guesses, estimates, missing people, etc. that would then have to be walked back when specific numbers were known. there was a lot of talk about it a while back because a number of conspiracy theories used those initial reports and the subsequent lower numbers to vaguely gesture at something sinister happening. so now we get implausibly low numbers being reported instead and we're supposed to read between the lines that the actual death tolls are going to be much, much worse.

:nsa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

literally caused by a clerical error

robert maxwell. :nsa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fart simpson posted:

have you considered: locking everyone in their apartments and forcibly removing anyone who tests positive to take them to quarantine camps (where the spread will actually be unpreventable) is an insane measure by any standard

as opposed to what

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CareyB posted:

ah ok. china’s top infectious disease expert agrees with me anyway.
https://twitter.com/yicaichina/status/1538708556710649858?s=21

Dynamic Disease Manifestations Among Non-Severe COVID-19 Patients Without Unstable Medical Conditions posted:

Our study had at least three limitations. First, we only enrolled non-severe, stabilized Omicron patients and therefore could not describe the overall clinical spectrum of Omicron infections, especially severe Omicron infections. Second, not all patients received CT scan and laboratory tests. Third, all symptoms were self-reported, potentially introducing bias.

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:gb2gbs:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I’ll start worrying about China having my data when they start putting military bases and soldiers in my country, but only one country does that, and it’s not China.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

*speaking into coffee maker*

president xi my people yearn for freedom. please send j-20 multirole stealth aircraft

coffee maker: *hrmmmmmm gurglegurgle*

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Antonymous posted:

I was at a movie screening yesterday and the team who made the movie was chinese and a white guy in the Q&A said "I used to live in china and I just want everyone to know this team is putting themselves in danger making a film in the west" and just kept talking and talking about what he knew about china and threw some chinese words in there and I thought of this thread

but I'm actually not sure why cause it seems a lot of you never lived there

I lived in China, and I learned that I don't understand China at all.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

it's from the last argument over this exact subject lol

can't remember who the guy is, though.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

that’s a good point but there’s a completely different genocidefeel and I’m not entirely sure it’s a difference of degree. I am trying to explain how I perceive it. in the metropole you were allowed to exist as a Kurdish person without outward expression of distinguishing cultural characteristics that Turkish people could recognize (eg getting kicked off the bus for speaking Kurdish). there are other aspects such as the religious component of discrimination was/is greatly altered versus the Christian Armenians, and there were efforts to integrate Kurdish ethnicity (“mountain Turks,” “kart kurt” etc.) that were not extended to Armenians and Greeks, partly on religious basis and because they couldn’t really be construed as a Type of Turk in the Sun Racecanon.

maybe the distinction is also related to the historical class positions of different ethnicities, where Armenians and Greeks had more members among the petit bourgeoisie and bourgeois classes and embodied a different threat to the officer classes and bourgeois that led the Republican revolution. the property seizures during the pogroms of non-Muslims in western Turkey after the revolution (leading up to the final really big ones and mass deportations that left practically none) might point to this being a factor, to some extent.

when the military and police have taken action to kill Kurdish people en masse within Turkey’s borders it is usually associated with a threat to the economic system — movements threatening to turn into worker uprisings or disruptions to the flow of goods and resources, punishment for harboring the Kurdistan workers party, and taking leftist movement leaders away in the infamous white Toros station wagons. this has also applied to groupings within Kurdish populations that couldn’t be subsumed in the broader Turkish identity, such as the Alawites. I guess within Turkey’s borders it seems like a broad ongoing destruction of culture with outbursts of genocidal violence.

I think there’s a difference between “you’re basically not allowed to exist at all and we will kill or deport every one of you who exists, even if you hide it” and “you are allowed to exist in the parameters in the identity we built for you, should you accept it, and don’t ever think of doing something we think threatens the state and the systems of production, otherwise we will apply a cruder, less discriminating form of violence to you and yours.” there are basically no Armenians (or Greeks) to speak of in Turkey. there are a lot of Kurdish people and the people who wanted to kill all of them have not been able to (if this was their goal they failed miserably).

I can’t watch the video atm, if you have a text source that would be good because I haven’t watched this yet. sorry if this post is a mess it’s early.

thanks for this post and lol at "a completely different genocidefeel"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

commoonism.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Can’t believe an agency founded as daycare for Nazi rocket scientists would see its mission as one of establishing and maintaining supremacy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Oglethorpe posted:

international mammon feeder

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Chamale posted:

We have no idea about the assassin's motive so far; it could have been that, or another major Abe policy, or some minor quibble that became a personal grudge.

putting my money on because he said the war in ukraine could have been prevented if they had backed off joining NATO, and the assassin was a gbs poster.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

so that's why Captain Pegleg went radio silent

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

shotguns are one of those things where we've been infested with gamer brainworms and think the effective range is a lot shorter than it actually is

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

well he's dead now ... in general, you always have to be careful.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

gently caress I was only joking:

lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dril didn't tweet that you rubes

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

genericnick posted:

lmao, finally

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Hey fun fact do you want to know why a lot of decision making people believe central bank independence is a good thing and why the ECB was made probably the most independent central bank in the world?

A paper by Alesino & Summers (1993) demonstrated that central bank independence led to lower inflation. The explanation being that if politicians were in control they'd be tempted to create more (too much) money to basically bribe the voters (as always liberals see politicians delivering material benefits to their constituents as cheating), whereas technocratic bankers have no such temptations.

Except the paper was later shown to have had the data manipulated to support the intended outcome. Also, yes, it was co-authored by *THAT* Larry Summers, fresh off of his destruction of Lithuania.

Meanwhile the Chinese central bank is not independent.

Orange Devil posted:

Oh also one of the first papers cited by Alesino & Summers is Rogoff (1985). The same Rogoff who later co-authored Reinhart & Rogoff, which "proved" austerity was the answer as government debt would crush economic growth. Except oops their excel formulas contained errors causing some of the data to be excluded leading to the wrong conclusion.

All these important studies which have shaped pur world just happen to have errors in them causing the data to be interpreted significantly wrong in favor of neoliberal orthodoxy. Just a coincidence and no reason to crack-ping I am sure.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wasn't joking when i said pedophilia is anticommunist.

capitalism is a pedophilia ring that got out of hand.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

pop science overtaking respected science is p normal but the fact that Diamond never acknowledged and im pretty sure literally never was aware of cultural ecology, the actual study of what he was talking about, is kind of amazing. Frank Herbert was probably more qualified

The Blind Watchmaker is also basically the same thing. Dawkins doesn't draw on any of his actual knowledge of ethology and instead tries to reinvent the idea of genetic algorithms from scratch without actually referencing the work of anyone who knows what theyre talking about

offtopic i guess but also CHINA WATCHING is the same thing. like if you just were literate in chinese and english, and just read everything the CCP puts out, and summarized it in english, you would literally be the worlds foremost western china expert. but nobody does that because theres no money in it, unlike just making poo poo up about china, which is a vast field of theology

that's right imo. a lot of concepts get invented independently over and over because ideas are a product of material circumstances. basically a kind of dependent origination? the versions that are safe for Capital are reproduced widely and repeatedly through the power exploited labor and dead dino juice, while the versions that threaten Capital's stability quietly die out.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This honestly explains so much.

i'm only half kidding, i've definitely posted before in the epstein thread that people should critically examine why the ruling class are all pedophiles and not like, dogfuckers, because it is not a coincidence.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Rutibex posted:

the ruling class being gross pedophiles predates capitalism and also feudalism

why put all the effort into joining and staying in a ruling class unless you want to do something that no sane person would let you do if you weren't protected from consequences?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:sun:

the happy content and beautiful art you post is always greatly appreciated, BM. your posts are glimmers of light shining through the tinted glass walls of my jar.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

America has lost the capability and stomach to do the colonization work of their grandfathers. Papap in the korean war put poo poo in a box and shipped it back to the homeland using the groundbreaking technology of shipping crates. Present Day Mid East Joe shipping out of Afghanistan left all that poo poo behind because some weenie with a spreadsheet figured that bringing things back cost money. Latest crop of spooks are Buttgeigs who keep mineral maps of lands they have attempted to conquer and lost. Doing errands for the Haqani network and propping up Epstein's crew is bitchwork. None of the lessons learned translate to the SEA theater. Laos is a soveriegn rear end country that has china as a pretty warm partner. Thailand and Vietnam don't just let dumb Western Joe poo poo kicker asset collecters through their airports.

KirbyKhan posted:

If Dullus was immortal there would be no end date to those loans. Under a forever-MacArther empire there would have been bases blanketing the landscape and a steady stream of poor pressganged American GIs forming America-towns to sail west and Manifest Destiny of Heavens himself right into the divine realms. If Teddy Roosavelt drank of the Rejuvinating Waters he would have consecrated the Divine Dragon and purified the dragon rot plaguing the land then take that immoratality right back home and give it to all of his Rough Riders *BARK BARK*

But fuckin Biden my dude? He thinks the pacific fleet are still in the pacific. Lmao roflmao they aint even told him his boy Abe got got.

:hmmyes:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

weirdos on Twitter keep posting Chinese bank runs In Henan province and tanks blocking people from withdrawing their money, what’s the situation? anyone know?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't have an effort post source but from what I gather, these accounts from these small countryside banks were handled with shady procedure. *I think* they were advertised as saving accounts with higher interest rate but actually investment accounts; and they didn't go through the standard procedure to report to the central bank (insert long technical terms and explanations here), so they didn't get insured by the China version of FDIC. That's why the Chinese central bank refused to cover the lost. So there is illegal financing involved. And then there is a guy in a financing company ran away with a lot of money. So I think right now they are at the stage of figuring out which local government of banking sector should take the responsibility of the lost.

This affair reminds me of "unfinished apartment buildings" in China, which usually drag out for a few years until the local government step in and sort out the ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fart simpson posted:

if the story isnt true, why did i so easily believe it was? explain that!

lmao