Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

James Gunn made dumb edgelord jokes ten years ago. Not only were they public this whole time, but his entire early career was literally based on this. He loving wrote Tromeo and Juliet for Christ's sake. This whole thing is bullshit and has made my interest level in GotG go to zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BexGu posted:

In the AvP novels from back in the 90s the whole reason they have hunts was to keep the males occupied while the females ran society. Its was literal something to keep the frat boys of Predator society something to do and off planet.

The women kicking the men off the planet to actually get poo poo done while they're off wagging their dicks at aliens is pretty great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Super 8 seemed fine iirc. Uh, he also apparently helped write Armageddon which also had a fine ending?

You mean the alien who we tortured for years going home to tell all his alien buds about us who are surely going to come wipe out humanity, and everyone being happy about it? That ending?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cameron did the story then they did a writers room thing for the script.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same, but it was when she appeared on The Daily Show. The book was Area 51 and it was all debunked less than a month after it was published.

ed: Apparently she wrote two more poorly-sourced books afterward on DARPA and Project Paperclip. She’s currently writing a book on ESP and Telekinesis and AMC has optioned Area 51 for a tv show.
:ughh:

Do you have a link to the debunking? Not that I don't believe it's all bullshit but both sides did crazy, stupid poo poo during the cold war and nothing is coming up when I search Google for it being bullshit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Covenant is better than Prometheus but only in the way that torture is better than death.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shageletic posted:

but where is the movie about the the dumb scientist teenagers being killed by the Jason/monster

Jason X is actually better than Prometheus and Covenant.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd like to remind people that some of the hilarious complaints about Prometheus were: A billionaire seeking immortality was unrealistic, corporations were by definition rationally motivated, private space travel is for the benefit of all and not an ego stroke.

These are dumb complaints. But the man who's entire job it is to map the place gets scared and forgets he has a map literally on his wrist, but then they tell him to go look at some creepy poo poo and he remembers and does it. Instead of saying "no I'm loving terrified to the point I literally forgot I am the map man, go gently caress yourself, I'm leaving this scary ruin," which is just bad, inconsistent writing. Prometheus is ok until you think about it for five minutes. Covenant side steps being dumb but still lands in the just kinda boring camp.

Anyway, in Jason X there's a holodeck of what people in the future think the eighties were and Jason beats a girl in a sleeping bag to death with another girl in a sleeping bag. It's a masterpiece.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sponges posted:

lol Jason X is so whacky!

(It’s poo poo)

It's an awesome horror comedy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

It's not even the funniest Friday the 13th.

Jason Lives is obviously the better movie, yes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Muppets were always an adult focused property.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Little Big Trouble China

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty sure Kiryu could up a Predator and then it would apologize to Kiryu and promise to change its ways.

Just lucky it wasn't Majima. The entire species would be dead in a month.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

So? They’re still r rated comic book movies that are super violent and did well.

Also War Zone is a really bad example of a movie being "true to the comics." Regardless of how much you enjoy it, it's a very, very bad adaptation of the source material that's self parody at best.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Punisher War Zone is one of the few comic book movies that has genuinely felt like watching a comic book to me.

I didn't get this in the slightest from it. It felt like a comic book movie made by someone who hates comics, and the Punisher, and action movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How so? That movie is a loving blast from start to finish lmao

IIRC Lexi Alexander (the director) based the movie directly on the Punisher MAX comics.

It's "based" on them in that it takes elements from them and turns them into stupid jokes. Here's a character from Kitchen Irish but he's nothing like that character and does parkour for no reason and gets hit by a rocket cause lol random.

The movie is like Crank but for stupid people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...that's already Crank though

also the parkour guys are a really good joke, irrespective of their names. parkour was a pretty big fad at that time, and the movie set them up like they were going to be important badasses... and then one of them just gets iced by a loving rocket out of nowhere, not because "lolrandom" but because Frank Castle does not play that poo poo.

e: like that's honestly the structure of most of the movie's jokes. the world around Frank Castle is a completely absurd action movie, but he just responds to everything with complete grim seriousness and Punisher-ness.

It just did nothing for me other than make me wish I had my two hours back. I even tried giving it another shot after the last time it came up in one of these threads and while I didn't hate it as much, other than it being very well shot, I still thought it was an incredibly bad movie. The Lundgren Punisher was even better in my opinion.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's a difference between a cover and am entire movie. There's also a difference between the kind of humor in Ennis run, for example, than what War Zone did. I'm not anti-humor in Punisher. I just don't think War Zone was funny. Even it's decent ideas it executed insanely poorly. The scene in the Lundgren movie where there's a bunch of ninjas all posing with their katanas and he just mows them all down with a machine gun is a better version of the parkour garbage from War Zone, for example.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I can't believe someone would seriously describe a comic book character as a "brilliant supervillain".

Seeing as that's literally where that phrase originated I'm confused by this post.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not really. Joker has never resembled a Victorian scientist, but "goofy".

You are being pedantic as gently caress here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

literally everyone who whines about the "damaged" tattoo is an out-of-touch dingus who probably gets apoplectic any time a rapper with face tattoos is visible

This would make sense if the Joker was a rapper.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was given a dumb custom avatar a few years ago for even suggesting Crystal Skull was mediocre and inoffensive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Hollywood's more or less over shared cinematic universes now, aren't they? WB seems to have more or less abandoned the idea for the DC movies (though it's hard to tell with them), Lucasfilm's cancelled all their Star Wars spin-offs, Dark Universe was DOA; I think the only one left is the Godzilla vs Kong one and that's still just two movies that are barely connected to one another.

Imagine if that had existed in the past. Imagine 1996: "Hamlet is the latest entry in the KBSASCU (the Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare Adaptation Shared Cinematic Universe" and concludes the eponymous Prince of Denmark's war with King Macbeth of Scotland. The film is nine hours long and"

There's still a bunch of Star Wars stuff happening.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lola Bunny rules in The Looney Tunes Show where she's just completely insane.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wasn’t it after Tiny Tunes introduced a female version of Bugs that ended up being extremely popular? Just not the way WB thought at the time.

Babs Bunny. No relation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is the sixth transformers movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

business hammocks posted:

We’re the last generation to know the simple joy of light synth and movie trivia cards interspersed with blown-up print ads for local businesses.

I’ll never forget you, Deleon Funeral Home.

Rest in Power, soda race.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

He wants a refund on all those products he bought from them trying to catch the road runner.

From what I understand this is actually the plot. He's finally had enough of them loving him over. I bet the twist is the Roadrunner owns the company.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

You can make an R-rated Mortal Kombat movie but you're going to have to sell it using more than just ultra violence. Cast or martial arts cred or humour or something.

Humor is the way to go with it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I never watched the series that came from it. My understanding was that it more or less abandoned the "grounded" aesthetic from the original short and went with the supernatural stuff from the games, i.e. Shang Tsung was an other-dimensional warlord rather than a corrupt businessman who funded unsanctioned underground MMA matches.

Yeah it was just a low budget adaptation of the games.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should make a Boba Fett movie but it should be Mr. Magoo, with him bumbling through everything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It should be a Life of Brian thing where they run into space redneck Bubba Fett, who's introduced shooting cans off a fence with his blaster rifle.

That guy already sounds more competent than the real one. Does he know how to work his own jet pack?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They probably skipped books 2 and 3 because they're irredeemable garbage with no value to save.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So's the first book and they made a totally fine movie out of it.

The first book at least has the core of a murder mystery that's interesting. The second and third have Lisbeths retard strong secret brother.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mara wanted to do it cause she loved the character but the studio seemed to not like her.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If it helps, it's not just a dog, it's a dog his wife got him as a parting gift as she was dying of cancer.

They also beat the poo poo out of him and take his car. All right after his wife died.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Megacorps are bad but I'll let this one slide just to get a good Fantastic Four movie hopefully.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barudak posted:

I think the well is dry on Robin Hood

The issue is none of these are actually Robin Hood movies. They keep trying to start out with some "the secret truth of Robin Hood/our crazy take on Robin Hood with a twist" bullshit. Just start by making a loving Robin Hood movie. If you make a good one maybe people will give a poo poo and you can do a sequel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I want to see THE HULK pilot, but not if it's atv show pilot, only if it's a movie about THE HULK learning to fly a plane

See episode...3 I want to say of the original 70s TV show. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sega should have went with Yakuza/Kiryu instead.

And of course directed by Takashi Miike.

Is this a joke? Cause this already exists and isn't very good.