Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I have come back from the future because of how worried people are about this game to give you the following hint:

"Is this game going to be fun?" and "Can I play as a supermutant behemoth?" have the same answer :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Fallout 4 question: I decided to give it a go after getting it in a sale but the UI is hyper hosed, sometimes the keyboard works for the menu, sometimes only clicking does, and the hosed up combination soft locks in character creation because you can get into menus you can't get out of because the keyboard command won't work. Number one: what the gently caress console optimized UI design; number two how do I unfuck this?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Though that is easier said than done when overheating them involves letting them shoot at you for quite a while.

Also hope you have a companion that they've turned to look at for the 0.013 seconds they are venting before the next 20 uninterrupted minutes of shooting

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like everything they are doing is just reinforcing my decision not to buy it

Can't wait for them to make it so it's mandatory to not only use creation club for mods but also make it pay to search or something equally asinine

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Modders being paid for their work is a great idea, but I don't think Bethesda being paid for modders' work is

The :psyboom: of the inevitable plan by Bethesda to tax the modders that do the unofficial patch mod for them is amazing

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

You've got to give it to Bethesda, with marketing this game they're RPing an Overseer and seeing how many objectively bad decisions they can make and still have people give them millions of dollars because of the Fallout label :allears:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Or make non-Creation Club mods require a private server [$14.99/month].

Why not both?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Don't worry dude, there will be plenty of goons to play with. The perma-salty people you see posting 24/7 about how much they hate fallout are not a good representation of the normal people that actually play and enjoy the games.

To be fair there are also people who have looked at the proposed game and rightfully thought "this looks like it's going to be poo poo but I'll wait for someone dumber with their money to prove it for me" and that do enjoy 3, NV, and 4 to varying degrees

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Bethesda has a cosmetic system in ESO. I expect this to be similar to that.

Confirmed $50 bowler cap for Mr. Handy cosmetic pet which also costs $50

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

It sounds a lot like it's somewhere between gta online and Warframe I'm just surprised it's surprising anyone

Ok I get it you like to troll people that wanted a good fallout game but after this I'm pretty sure your cover is blown so there goes your gimmick

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

Micro-transactions are fine if they are done well. Personally, I think Overwatch's loot box/micro-transaction system is fantastic, for example. If it's just cosmetics and you can earn them from playing and completing quests and achievements then it is probably fine. The bigger problem with these AAA games has always been DLC and the idea that they're intentionally leaving bits of the game out so that they can release it later and get you to pay again (or now, buy a "Season Pass").

Warframe is really the ultimate F2P model. They have a premium currency but you can fleece whales and get everything you could ever want by just selling poo poo you get by playing the game for free

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Schubalts posted:

I can't believe there are actually people railing against a loving cosmetic cash shop, with currency that is earnable through just playing the game. And the actual "loot boxes" (the skill cards) aren't even going to be sold for real money!

We've already run out of ways to discuss how bad this game is going to be and need something to talk about though

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

I've never seen a games thread on SA so determined to hate a game. This is some gamefaqs poo poo.

My friend if you're looking for a (non existent) game to defend the honor of, have you heard of Star Citizen?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

The embargo on footage lifts Monday, thank Christ

Yes now if only they'd lift the embargo on good game design they'd be on to something

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't understand why Bethesda thought this was a good idea for a videogame. It's going to be a pile of shite isn't it.

Imagine the opportunity to have a sandbox game where the things you build disappear when you log out. Mix it with quests to gather x bear asses only they aren't even pretending it's for people or factions that are alive or will contribute to a developing story arc because you're turning in quests to post it notes on the refrigerator. Then install a bunch of poorly thought out griefing prevention tools and tell griefers it's immune to them and you dare them to prove you wrong. Then invite the people that post on NMA to play.

Actually put that way maybe it will be worth $5 in a steam sale

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Warframe costs an increasing amount of whaletokens to buy slots for, so keep that in mind once you find many things worth using~

You can get premium currency trivially by selling things you earn by playing the game for free. The whaleconomy is there for goons to exploit

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

being killed by a monster and having them so pissed off that they track down where you respawned and kill you again is loving hilarious

Shadows of Fallout with a nuclear nemesis system is just one of many design tenets they could have experimented with that would have been fun and good

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

pmchem posted:

what, exactly, is the F76 gameplay?

all I've gathered so far is that you scavenge parts to build camps and occasionally shoot or nuke other players on small (<10) player servers?

what is the point? are they trying to do ultima online without the massively multiplayer and persistent world part? fortnite without the dedicated game round parts? a multiplayer RPG without the npcs or story?

are the graphics any better than FO4?

Load FO4.exe. Run a script to kill all NPCs that have dialogue. Now add a Nexus mod for janky multiplayer. Voila, FO76! (Original idea for FO76 demo CD, please don't steal)

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone dumb enough to own an xbone know where the hell the brotherhood poo poo starts?

If you're not rolling around using a canon name as your handle and demanding other people be subservient to you as the leader of the brotherhood why are you even playing?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Well Bethesda should just light a loving fire in the lobby and just burn it all down

How dare they try something new?

I don't think anyone is upset at the idea of trying new things, new things are great. I think people are just confused as to why the new thing Bethesda wanted to try was to see how bad a design document could be and still drain the wallets of neckbeards instead of, you know, making design decisions that don't sound objectively terrible even just on paper

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I seem to be on a server with new people who aren't assholes, I'll leave it on for now but almost certainly regret it soon.

Fallout 76: almost certainly regret it soon.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

the best way to turn a 40 hour game into an 80 hour game, make you search every container twice!

Procedurally generated content: check

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Not to this level they aren't, and lol if you think that's a legit excuse anyway.

To their credit it's not like they bought Star Citizen, but they sure post like they would

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Penpal posted:

lol

game bad, why do you have to get hung up on other ppl if you enjoy it? even posts in this thread talk about having fun in spite of the game.

I've had my fun poo poo posting because everyone is all riled up about this objectively bad game but when it inevitably goes free to play I'll probably try it out and in the meantime will enjoy people back porting the few neat cosmetics to FO4.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Tei posted:

I am level 142. I don't know how to stop playing this game, I tried everything.

Have you tried playing a good game instead?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Will this be the end of the invincible enemy glitches?

The invincible enemy is capitalism and the only way to beat him is to not pay his game

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

jesus who the gently caress is paying for that poo poo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872562&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Hello Fallout 76 goons I'm here to wish everyone a Merry Christmas for the low, low price of 25001250 atoms (limited time offer)

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I'm looking forward to when we have driveable cars in Fallout 5/77 but the cars are just NPCs wearing car hats.

It will be fine just put speed bump visuals spaced so they match the head bob no problem

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

One has cars that dont work, one has games that dont work

A match made in heaven :angel:

Redefining the meaning of the phrase "the Boring game"

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Katt posted:

Can someone give me a brief description of what fallout 76 even is.

Is it an MMO or more like instance cooperative play like borderlands? Do you build stuff together like minecraft?

Bad

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Because a lot of people were using way too many words to say this when he asked you to be brief

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

It is, at the very least, mediocre

This is great because it's like the Starbound thread when the title was 'Starbound to give you buyer's remorse' and people still came in asked the thread and were told it was poo poo, bought it anyways, then got mad at the thread because it was poo poo

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

People are talking about the mechanics and progression in this game instead of just jokes. Does that mean it's actually worth checking out now?

Having given the free play a few hours of honest attempts to find fun I'll tell you that I find it amazing that every part of the game is worse than I could have ever imagined. It's truly inspiring how bad the mechanics are, that they straight up use the terrible inventory interface from FO4 and then make it worse, and I'm floored thinking how bad it must have been before the big update that 'fixed' so much.

My internet is free and I still want them to refund me the bandwidth.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Morglon posted:

The big update that fixed so much really didn't fix anything except now you have some more story content.There's still launch era bugs. Fallout 4 launch era.

I'm pretty sure they rolled back to the Morrowind combat engine because that's their last game I recall where the (extremely terrible and janky) melee animations had two RNG elements: a first roll to determine if the axe you just hit someone in the head with according to the animations actually made contact, and another to determine if it did any damage if it did hit. It's impressive how bad they made it.

Even the base building element is terrible. They didn't do anything to make the UI better. Oh also did you build something cool and then foolishly log off? Haha well gently caress you buddy find another server somebody is in your spot. And I'm guessing taking over and building up the resource workshops uses the same mechanics, so it seems like you can invest a ton of resources to make a sweet workshop but if you log off it's all deleted. Like, what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Not made in Gamebryo
Has characters
Has a plot
Has a setting that isn't procedurally generated

Sounds like they checked all the relevant boxes, Todd