Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dang, I'm behind. Somehow forgot to star the October thread.

What in the actual gently caress? These people are serious?

meatpimp posted:

On another topic -- The car Youtube guys have gotten so much worse with their "sponsored by" soliloquies that they are almost unwatchable. I'm looking at you, Tavarish. I liked his early stuff, but now he's got a taste of sweet ad revenue and it's terrible. At least AvE has stayed consistent.

Meh, I just fast forward/skip through, but I agree they're getting annoying.
Can't really blame them since YT hosed around with monetization a while back, in a bad for content providers way.

Grakkus posted:

The other things I 100% agree are annoying, but the sponsorships aren't really the creators being sellouts so much as youtube creating a lovely financial environment where those sponsorships are the only way to make decent money.

Yeah, that.

BraveUlysses posted:

mowing the lawn is easy peasy, its weeding the rest of it which is the terrible part

If I did that, I'd just have dirt.

RE: STR - sucks, my dude, but like the other guys said, take a look at it from all perspectives, and talk it out. At least try. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't.
Don't give up without a fight, but don't stay until you hate each other. And yes, I know that's easy to say, but difficult to do. Me, I'm the type to let things slide until I blow up without warning all out of proportion to the problem, traditionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

And if you're in the United States, this just cost you your earnings for the next decade.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit snarky about the state of the union.
I hope you recover quickly and completely!

edit: Hah, just caught Adiabatic's name change. Nice!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

GM would need to masd produce more than the bolt and lol at that happening soon. Sales are in the shitter already.

That's mostly because GM dealers don't want or know how to sell them, according to the Electrothread folks.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus. We went to a wedding yesterday and were talking to a woman there who also recently had a child. She hired a full-time nanny and a pediatric nurse (two people, not one person with cray qualifications) to watch the kid for the first few months while she went back to work, and she is building a guest house on their property for the nanny. Guess that takes some of the stress and sleep deprivation out of child-rearing, huh?

AND most of the "being a mom," too.

Watch chat: I admire the work that goes into mechanical watches, as a machine, but a) I don't have $$ and wearing anything that cost more that a couple hundred on my wrist would make me paranoid, and b) I like all the functions a typical digital watch has, and used to actually use them (alarms, timers, etc.) before smart phones. Also, a cheap Casio will keep better time. Though, I always liked the Citizen Eco-Drive watches, and probably would have gotten one if I wasn't broke when I was still wearing them.
I didn't wear a watch for years after I got a smartphone, but finally broke down and got an Apple Watch (already in the Apple ecosystem with an iPhone - still considered a Fitbit Versa) whe Walmart dropped the price on the Watch Series 1 to $150. No regrets. It's handy. I saw some Android Wear ones that were round and did a good job of emulating Chronographs, but limited functionality with Apple (because, Apple) kept me away. Way Apple is going, though, I may jump ship.

On a different topic, saw this on someone's Twitter feed, and thought it awesome:
https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1047481568388898816

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

I was driving my Accord today and thought to myself "this car was built before 9/11" and that kind of bugged me out. God the 90s sucked but at least looking back it seemed like a more innocent time.

I like cars because when I'm in them I don't have to think about the raging fire surrounding all of us. It's just me, Rob Zombie, and VTEC yo.

Until I get into traffic, then I hate everyone.

Tomarse posted:

Go onto Amazon/Ebay/Your preferred seller of Chinese electronics and search for "USB endoscope" or "USB inspection camera". Prices start at under :10bux: .

I need to get one of those and a cheap Android device to use with it (more portable than a laptop.)

Goober Peas posted:

My qol has improved by reducing my time on social media. I wonder what would happen if I quit SA.

I severely limit my attention to Facebook, and I'm not on any other social media. I don't miss it, except when a friend or relation posts event invites or the like there and nowhere else.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone with Nazi views is firmly in the "cant be reasoned with" category.

Besides, Captain Amercia punched Adolf Hitler in the face, I cant think of a more proudly freedom fighting thing to do. Punch Nazis 24/7

meatpimp posted:

Alright, youse guys got me looking into it, and through the spectrum quizzes, I have shifted more left, but not extremist. The quiz below labeled me "You are a left moderate social libertarian."

https://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html

Here's where I ended up. Put your ideologies where your typing fingers are.

Last time I took that one, or a similar one, I ended up about half way between you and the center line, and a bit down towards small-L-libertarian. According to that test, I was right under Bernie, and a bit north and east of Gandhi. That surprised me a lot at the time, really. Hillary and pretty much everyone else in the running at that time (last presidential election primaries) were in the northeast quadrant, except Bernie.
All I really want is for people to be allowed to live, nobody to go hungry or sick, because that's what decent people do. Supposedly that's what Christians are supposed to do, too, but that seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.

BraveUlysses posted:

remember republicans can call democrats every terrible thing under the sun but they have the right to be really upset forever because a lovely politician called them deplorable

and yes hillary was an believably lovely candidate but you cant pretend that tons of republican voters would never vote for a democrat no matter who the candidate is

Hillary was literally the only candidate who could have lost to Trump. So many people just flat out hated her and voted for the bag or crazy instead. *I* hated voting for her, but, as always, our choice is between two slightly different evils.
The fact that the Dems have even brought up the notion that she could run again just screams out how much they are out of touch with reality and the voting public.

Wrar posted:

It would make more sense to section the blade anyway, for ease of maintenance. You'd have a primary beam and then a blade per head or three.

Sort of like a finger brake? Only use the blades you have heads for?
I really like the laser idea, too. Saves on mess if it'll cauterize as it cuts.

Dagen H posted:

I'm not taking your dumb online survey and reducing myself to a pin on a graph.

Racism/xenophobia/homophobia: gently caress no
Weed: legalize it
Abortion: no uterus, not my business
Guns: I can't have any, but knock yourself out; they should not, however, be accessable to the mentally ill
Healthcare: every civilized country on the planet has a working model, copy one
Corporations: not people
Religion: again, knock yourself out, but keep it out of my government

My man.
(Though I can have guns. I only have a couple. I don't feel the need to carry them in public, nor have I ever shot anyone.)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It looks like the majority of folks in here are Nazi punchers. So the question is whether everyone is losing long 10mm sockets all the time because that's what they tuck in their fists when it's punching time?

I find a ~14mm deep more comfortable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm fairly certain this is the remix from the American Made Music To Strip By album.

It owns.

Pretty sure you're right. I have that album, and really like the remixes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

It's not just the app, things like ' are showing up all fucky on desktop too.

E: It's inconsistent though, I'm not sure why they're showing up sometimes and not others.

Yep.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

veiled boner fuel posted:

I don't know which threads you're reading but the threads in c spam that I read democrats get poo poo on because they're not left enough, not because they're too left.

Maybe you can give some examples.

Please don't.

Rhyno posted:

We found an incredible house but it only has a single car garage. How do people live like that?

Rhyno posted:

Don't you tempt me.

She sent me the listing and before I could respond about the single car she replied "It's on a half acre and there's plenty of room to have a garage built out back." It's also $70K less than the other house.

cakesmith handyman posted:

$70k garage incoming then.

This is the correct answer.
This is also why I've been looking (very casually) at listings with at least a half-acre. I need a 2-car garage to park the cars. I need the land to build a shop.

edit:

Fermented Tinal posted:

With 12' ceilings, right?

Yes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ugh. Forgot to post why I actually came into the thread!

My journey toward LASIK has taken a bit of a turn. Now I'm getting an implant in the left eye to go with the one in the right eye. I had cataract surgery years ago in my right eye. They corrected that one up to match the left eye for reasons (I assume) rather than just letting me wear one corrective lens. So now, while looking at getting LASIK on both, they noted that a cataract was starting in the left eye, and that if I got LASIK on that side, it would be negated by the cataract in a few years. So, we're going with the implant on the left, and later correcting the right to 20/20 with LASIK, and cleaning up some minor scarring from the implant at the same time. They'll also do any "tune up" on the new implant if needed. It works out to be about 1/3 more expensive than just the LASIK on both sides, since my insurance is poo poo and does not cover any hospitalization or surgeries (I have a supplemental policy for hospital stuff, but this is outpatient surgery.) My folks offered to pay for LASIK as a birthday/Christmas/whatever gift, and they're still on board with the slightly increased cost. Even if they weren't, I'd still get it. I've waited 40 years for this. I am damned tired of glasses all waking hours.
The costs have really come down. LASIK, at this upscale eyecare center, is $1750/eye. The cataract surgery is $2800 all in (anesthesia, after-care, etc.) plus $500 for the toric lens I'll need to correct additional astigmatism (was $1750, but my vision insurance actually proved useful here), so $3300.
Best part is that with the implants, I'm set for life. They won't age further like a natural lens would, so what I get, I've got until my eyes explode or something.

I'm pumped. Surgery is in 2 weeks, LASIK after the implant heals.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Agreed. If you are gonna call it a 3 car the bays should be big enough for anything you want to do. My parents' 3 car has space for 1. The main has shelving and tools on either side of the car and the 1 car door is all workbench and more tools.

Double deep seems like a good option.

Some friends of ours have a magnificent garage, for an in-town ~2K sq. ft. house. It's a 2-car garage, but it's as deep as the entire house, about 30' or so. Big enough that the back right corner, where the washer and dryer are, was enclosed as a laundry room, and there's still enough space on that side for a normal car. Workbenches and such in the other back corner. It's also got a paved spot on the side of the garage for a trailer or RV. Not bad for a suburban house.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

That's pretty exciting congrats!

My eyes are also terrible and I have an astigmatism. I was told by an eye doctor a few years ago that my eyes were 'just' bad enough that I wouldn't qualify for LASIK (I also couldn't afford it anyways).

I'll have to look into that though it seems promising.

I also just got a new pair of glasses yesterday after wearing the same hosed up pair for the past 4 years. Feels really good.

Thanks!
Glasses are a love/hate thing. I'm thankful that I can see, but good God are they annoying for anything involving dirt, sweat, water, or being upside-down, etc.
I'll still likely need reading glasses, not for reading (since we'll be doing the "monovision" setup, with one eye for distance, and one for normal reading) but for anything closer than about a foot or 18". They set the reading focus at about where you'd normally hold a book.

Also, technically I'm a cyborg with the lens replacement, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah I love glasses but whenever I have to work outside or go to the gym with them they're annoying and I can't afford contacts.

Contacts are OK, but my eyes are jerks and don't produce enough tears for contacts, so they get uncomfortable. I have to constantly use rewetting drops, or everything gets blurry. In my case, expense isn't really much more than glasses, though it's been a while since I used them. Had some to test which sort of correction I wanted for the LASIK, and that just reconfirmed how annoying they are to me. I'm still going to have to wear one of them in the interim between cataract surgery and LASIK, though, I think.

Suburban Dad posted:

Garage chat: Mine is small, but I still fit 2 cars in and a bunch of tools and poo poo. More space is always better though for sure.

From the garage thread:

I have since upgraded my crappy toolboxes to a giant monster Husky. We park so the center aisle is wide (pull in on right side, back in on left side so driver's doors open to the center), and it works fine. I can't fit a full size truck in there (around 200" long is the limit for cars) but otherwise it's not the end of the world. When working on a car, I just pull it to the center and kick out the other car.

My garage would be much better if I didn't have to share it with the washer and dryer, and therefore the laundry that inevitably gets strewn about while washing is going on (always.)
At the very top of my list for the next house is "dedicated laundry room". That's non-negotiable.

quote:

Lasik chat: that's awesome Darchangel! I wish I could pay money to never have to worry about my eyes degrading and have perfect vision. I'm not a good candidate for Lasik and I'm sure they're only gonna get worse from here (only 33).

See if you can get Crystal Lens. That's basically the implants I'm getting for the cataracts, but elective without the cataracts. I'm 48 49, but the first cataract was in my late 30s.

angryrobots posted:

You should shop around, cause that's real expensive.

Agree. The place I'm going is fancy in an upscale suburb (Southlake, for you Dallasites) and it's $1750 per eye all in without any insurance or discounts. Some of the LASIK "mills" around here are considerably less, and still have acceptable results, per reviews. The place I'm going to specializes in cataracts and LASIK (they did my previous cataract)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've got the 66" Husky bench with the cabinet door and the wood top not long ago. I'm very happy with it.

They remodeled a floor here at work, and I salvages two of the doors - 8' x 36 of solid wood with a convenient hole for cords in the back. Currently they're in storage, to be fitted when I build shelving along the left wall of the garage (built the right side a few years ago.) Another guy salvaged a bunch of the 8' tall tempered glass panels in varying widths to use in a greenhouse, and several more of the doors for workbenches as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My last bench was about 36" deep (I built it to fill a specific space) and it was just wide enough to be a pain in the rear end. I'm 6'1" on a good day and I had to reach for a lot of things on the pegboard. New bench/cabinet is 24" wide and it's great not having to stretch for poo poo anymore. If those doors are going to go under pegboard, I'd think about ripping them down a bit. Might be good full-width under some cabinets, though.

Yeah, I'll fiddle around with the design. I definitely don't need them to be 8' long, I don't think. I need to measure my current benchtops, which were once Mrs. Baird's bread displays. 3' x 6' I think, arranged in a corner, one along each wall, at two different heights.
Also, I think I'll go with a frame made of 1" square tubing this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1jeViV4l8

Jamie has an excellent point. If you have a welder, trying to build stuff like that out of wood is just dumb.
Also, I love those nested tables.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I wasn't kidding I'm going to look into getting LASIK when I get a better job. For now though I like wearing glasses because they're hip and make me look like a dude in an indie rock band which is convenient for many different situations.

Do it! It's still a chunk of change, but being able to see and not worry about lenses... I've been waiting, literally, 40 years for this. Worn glasses since 3rd grade. loving hate them. Less than 2 weeks 'til the first part now. If I stop posting after the 23rd, I died or went blind.

edit: just realized I'm going to need a chop saw for that table frame. New tool time!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

nah you'll just be shitposting with a braille keyboard.

Gotta learn braille first.
I'll dictate to my daughter instead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Ha, yeah it's $4K before the discount, I just didn't read the entire form. Should be under $3100 for both eyes. I was quoted $2600 PER eye about 4 years ago.

I know - it's come WAY down. Would have been something like that for my bad eyeballs some years ago. Now it's $3300 to have an entire new special snowflake lens put in. Would have been $2500 total if I could have just gone for LASIK. That's still a fair chunk, but much, much more doable than prices a decade ago.

IOwnCalculus posted:

"I told you, it's colon s c a x colon, get it loving right!"

:scax: ?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Hey... did you guys notice that the forum name was changed to the first couple lines of Rob Zombie's "Dragula"?

Like, two weeks ago, and there's a subforum that continues the stanza.

edit: OUGH THE TREES STRANGLING THE BREEZE DEAD I AM THE SKY WATCHING ANGELS CRY

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

You seem agitated, like this guy

He seems a bit tightly would for an Internet comedy forum.

edit: I mean the guy in the referenced thread, not meatpimp. Meatpimp seems calm at the moment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

M. Night Shyamalan: YOU NEVER LEFT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slothrop posted:

Friendly reminder to check the oil in your driving appliances. Girlfriend complained hers had developed a noise, the dipstick came back bone dry. Oh dear.

I've been daily driving our Kia, and I may or may not have seen the oil light come on in a hard stop, then checked the oil, which may or may not have been on the dipstick it wasn't. Whoops. Took 3 qts..

BraveUlysses posted:

Wife wanted to see Car Seat Headrest for her birthday last night and it owned

https://youtu.be/9q5R0F5M3NA

Dang it. Guess I waited to long to warranty those screwdrivers. Or can I do that at Lowes now?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

You probably have a misfire code(s) - that's typically the only time the CEL flashes.

Pretty much that. CEL will flash when you are doing damage to the emissions control system, as opposed to just something not working. Ususally that's a missfire dumping gas into the cat and killing it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Houses are assets.
Mortgages are liabilities.

You haven’t seen my house. I mean, the *land* is an asset, yes.

I’m being harsh. My house is still actually structurally sound. I just hate it after 18 years. First house, didn’t really know what I wanted.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I dont knock parenthood. It's just not for me. My mom is depressed because none of us have kids though.

I'm the golden boy because I'm the only one of my siblings with a child. My brother was (very) briefly married, and my sister's fiance passed due to cancer (gently caress cancer - he was a good guy) and wasn't planning to have kids in any case.
I'm honestly still not sure I've made a mistake or not, but not like I can undo a 17-year-old. She's not on drugs and hasn't murdered anyone, so there's that, but she's way too like her old man in some respects, for which I apologize to the world profusely.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

I want kids eventually but at the moment I can't afford one.

I'm 24 though so I still have quite a bit of time.

Protip: You'll never be able to afford it. You just... make room.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fun fact: Karol Bartoszynski (edit: one of the cofounders of the above event, if you didn't read the article) set up a Mad Max mini-event in San Antonio quite some time ago. A convoy of much less threatening machines down the highway to a showing of Mad Max at the Alamo Drafthouse. I drove down from Dallas with my cousin, in my primer-black '70 Cutlass.
A bunch of mundanes got scared and called the cops who had been informed that we were doing this.
They gathered up a dozen of us who would admit that we had been in the convoy, and arrested us on some bullshit charge like obstructing a highway. We were doing under the speed limit in the right lane. Karol (pronounced "Carl", BTW) was one of the ones arrested.
The charges were dropped on all of us, but I (and my cousin, too) still had to drive to San Antonio from Dallas twice, and I had to pay a lawyer, because I didn't qualify for a public defender. Still pisses me off something fierce.
Fortunately, the guy who drove his replica Black Intercepto down from Dallas as well didn't get caught up in it. Though the top-loader 4-speed in the car exploded about 30 miles from home, he said.

Here's one newspaper story:
https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Mad-Max-fan-convoy-ends-in-arrests-8640132.php

I don't recall that anyone had any machine guns, fake or otherwise. There were a couple of late-teens/20-somethings with a prop of the triple-barreled air-crossbow from Road Warrior in the bed of the truck, and those were the two that got the knife charges (they were machetes, like every lawn guy carries...)

This would mark the last time I trusted or volunteered any information to a cop.

A bunch of assholes who should be shot. With their own guns, preferably.

EDIT: This is the dude who brought the Interceptor. He's got more now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF6oQUEfn84

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 17, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Let me know how you like it.

I did one search for a GoPro product maybe 2 years ago and I still get notifications from Chrome asking me if I'm still interested every couple of months.

Getting to where I want to use Incognito mode always and everywhere.

What's hilarious is when I use my VPN and get regional/local ads from Colorado or wherever I happen to show up then.

Rhyno posted:

We potentially have a hookup on having the entire interior of the house painted. My wife's been in the rental industry for 6 years now and has made a ton of connections and their primary painter made an offer to do it. So that's a good option to have.

My wife works for a paint and drywall company.
...but they only do business and commercial. They refuse to do residential because of complexity, and the, erm, finicky nature of homeowners.
I may or may not have cracks in the wall that have been there for years, and I definitely don't have bamboo flooring that's been setting in boxes in the living room for a decade.
(Mainly because we've got so much crap that I don't have anywhere to move the poo poo that's in that room so I can put down the flooring and/or fix the drywall and paint. I've *almost* cleared out enough space in the garage to use temporarily. Finally.)

Goober Peas posted:

This. By about week 2 in the house you're going to experience a level of exhaustion you've never experienced before. I've been in my new condo since April and the list of "to-do" is long. And you never reach the end of the list.

Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy always increases.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slurry_curry posted:

Also, why isn't everyone on here running Ad Block(or something like it) on their browsers? The biggest downside to using it is that it makes web browsing and watching youtube on my phone unbearable, since you can't run ad block there. It took me years to realize that youtube started playing ads during videos, since I don't see them.

I didn't mind a pre-roll ad before a video, since it usually benefited the content creator, but when YT started running multiple ads before and during the videos AND demonetizing/reducing the revenue sharing for creators, I started running an ad-blocker.

slurry_curry posted:

Yea, I run into sites from time to time that have the "please turn off your ad blocker" as well as pay walls, but the majority of the time they are garbage sites that are littered with lovely ads. Those warnings are usually a good sign its not worth going to the site at all. It can be a bit of a pain in the rear end to deal with(tho not nearly as annoying as my no script plugin), but well worth it to not be constantly spammed with ads everywhere. Hell, its probably worth it to just use on youtube.

Completely agree. I just go elsewhere when I get that "turn off ad-blocker" message. None of your content is unique.

slidebite posted:

Congrats man! Wait until you have to sign on the bottom line multiple times for the mortgage paperwork. That's when it really hit me.

OMG, this is truth. We lost track of how many times we needed to sign or initial during closing.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Morning everyone! Have any good plans for the week?

Going to get my eyeball upgrade on Tuesday. I was hoping for lasers and a zoom feature, but apparently all their willing to do is replace the lens so I won't get a cataract, and can see 20/20. What happened to my sci-fi future?
Upgrade adjustment on the other eye after this one heals, at which point I will no longer need corrective lenses. Still no lasers, though.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Copper grease stops them seizing, it doesn't glue them in. That'll just be the idiot on the brapbrap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

At what point do you cut off your limbs for bionic ones? Because I'm all about that poo poo

I expect about when you can feel through them, and actually control them.
And gently caress yeah. In The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, the main character, Manny, has an artificial arm, and he has interchangeable hands for it, form a "social" (lifelike) hand, to a heavy gripper, to a micro manipulator for working on small electronics. I want that. Hell, even a finger that I can swap out for a finger that has more, smaller fingers...

Dagen H posted:

SAD bros :(:hf::(

Oh, heck yes the SAD is creeping in.

Edit: did the forum subtitle always have the #musk thing after the Halloween change?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Boy, that has gone poorly for that individual. They should have just leased a Nissan Altima. It would have made all their problems go away.

Never mind that a problem with his seat suddenly hurting his back is unlikely to be the seat...
I bet he's as confused as hell about what's going on in that thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Was on a conference call earlier this week to essentially discuss a possible future conference call. It ruled.

And *that* conference call we be in regards to why no one gets any work done.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

AdiaBOOtic posted:

YOU TOO

I'm learning the loving dance.

For those playing along at home (very mildly NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFBTdToRmw

God dammit.
Good thing it's a slow day here at work.

This is for you for posting that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMbVzQyXtc

meatpimp posted:

Guys, guys... the US Government made a non-terrible decision... I don't know what to think anymore.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xw9bwd/1201-exemptions-right-to-repair

Oh, wow. That's a good start. Now if we can stop the manufacturers from weaponizing copyright and using the DHS to steal refurbished parts, as mentioned near the end of the article...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's weird, I thought he drove an Accord.

Not bad.

angryrobots posted:

I figured he'd drive a cross-over

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Probe and Volvo

I see what you did there, and I appreciate it.
:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bolind posted:

For fucks sake, it would be nice with just ONE day where I didn't have to fix other people's problems and/or fuckups.

I'm Desktop Support.
It's literally my job to do exactly that.
I'm just too good at it, and too lazy to find something else. Definitely too lazy to start over doing something else.

Also, since I'm currently contract, I don't have any PTO or holidays.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

My advice would be GTFO of contracted IT support. I was fired from a similar role last August and it was the best thing that could have happened at the time.

Jumped to a small shop sysadmin role with a startup company, and not having to exclusively fix end user issues all day every day has massively reduced my stress level - to say nothing of effectively being my own boss, having a flexible schedule and a significant pay bump.

I've been here 18 month so far. To be fair, the lack of PTO is really the only thing that's "bad" about it. This is a pretty decently run shop, compared to where I was, and things that break are usually actually broken rather than just being dumb stuff. Though there are the usual clueless users. Despite being a contractor, the company generally treats me like a regular employee with respect to celebrations, events, free food, etc. At some point I'll probably get fed up with it and demand they poo poo or get off the pot, and look for something else, but for now, the environment is pretty chill and largely low-stress, which is a welcome turn from my previous gig. I do have insurance through the contracting company I actually work for. It's not the best, but it's better than the Marketplace.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

That sounds like a much better situation than the one I was in. It pretty much broke me and proved IT contracting is a scam to be avoided at all costs - I'd pretty much have to be in a situation where it's that or getting kicked out on the street to accept another contract gig.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised how well it's worked. Kind of surprised they didn't hire me full time after a year, too, but there was no term specified at the beginning.

Rhyno posted:

I would rather be shot in the head than vote Republican but holy poo poo, at least they don't bother me every other goddamned day. I haven't missed a single vote since I turned 18, LEAVE ME THE gently caress ALONE.

Yeah, getting those here, in TX, too, but for a particular candidate (Beto.)

Rhyno posted:

A friend of mine just pointed out that it's a TCPA violation and that I should report it. Google is helping with that. But yeah, every other day since Oct 1st. Different numbers every time and not bots, I've engaged with a few of them now.

I'm sure that they are getting around TCPA by it being individuals of their own free will rather than a business of official campaign. Never mind that the campaign is asking them to.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bolind posted:

I’m R&D IT (whatever the gently caress that means) and while I do some amount of support towards end users, the sheer amount of yelling at our outsourced IT, telling clueless managers for the nth time why things take time/cost money/are impossible on top of all the poo poo that’s going on outside of work... gently caress I need a beer.

On a positive note, I just loving fixed my espresso machine. Life is now worth living again.

It's kind of nice being the new guy and low on the totem pole and basically not being responsible for anything major for a while. I'm paid less than I was, but not hating going in to work is a reasonable compensation for that. I was sole Mac support towards the end of the last job, and with the latest iterations of the macOS and Apple in general, I'm kind of glad I don't have to deal with Macs as much. It's like everything they've done in the last year is to piss off corporate IT. We have few enough here to work around it, for the most part.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

But, but... the rich drive the economy!
into the shitter

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tomarse posted:

Spent last night drinking beer and playing with molten metal and then got to sleep on a boat :)

We were pouring pewter into a silicon mould made from a 3D print I designed. Found that we had issues with some of the delicate bits. Made a very ad-hoc vibration table using a baking tray and an old orbital sander and it helped a lot to move the air out and fill it all in.

Now to make a better, and much smoother vibration table!

Oh, that gives me an idea for adding a vibrator to my media blaster. Orbital sanders are cheap, and I don't need "smoother".

edit: just got to figure out how to attach the little bugger.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

most shareholders are in the upper 10%, who are not part of the "average people" segment of the population

Yeah, pretty much anyone who is a shareholder that's not is purely by accident - their 401(k) or IRA invests in a fund that has <company X> in the portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PRO

JECT

BINKY

!

edit: for Patrons. Screw you freeloaders.

• Locked thread